PDA

View Full Version : NHC Kevin Nolan to West Ham

FRes Hibbie
15-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Kevin Nolan having a medical at West Ham.

Really can't understand this one at all, why would Newcastle want to let their captain go unless it was a BIG offer? Why would Nolan want to go to a team that's just been relegated? How can West Ham afford to pay Nolan a wage that'd make him want to leave or pay Newcastle a fee that'd make them want to sell?

Doesn't add up.

Hibbie_Cameron
15-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Answer- Mike Ashley knows nothing about football

HibbyAndy
15-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Kilmarnock sign Paul Heffernan on a 3 year contract, Surely cant be the same Heffernan that played for Doncaster? :confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Good signing for The Hammers!

HibeeMG
15-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Kevin Nolan having a medical at West Ham.

Really can't understand this one at all, why would Newcastle want to let their captain go unless it was a BIG offer? Why would Nolan want to go to a team that's just been relegated? How can West Ham afford to pay Nolan a wage that'd make him want to leave or pay Newcastle a fee that'd make them want to sell?

Doesn't add up.

Big Sam is the answer. Having played for him at Bolton and signed for him at Newcastle.

I agree though, I think he could still have played at the top level. I'd have liked to have seen him 'come home' to Bolton for a couple of seasons.

FRes Hibbie
15-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Big Sam is the answer. Having played for him at Bolton and signed for him at Newcastle.

I agree though, I think he could still have played at the top level. I'd have liked to have seen him 'come home' to Bolton for a couple of seasons.

Ah yes, forgot Allardyce was at West Ham, makes more sense now. Still doesn't explain why Newcastle would want to sell. Also surprised there wasn't alternative Premiership interest in him once it became apparent he might be available (perhaps Bolton, like you said).

If there were a couple of alternative Premiership offers Nolan would have to have a LOT of faith in Big Sam to drop a division at 28 years old to play for him - with no guarantee they'd get promoted straight away.

BoltonHibee
15-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Ashley is tighter than cramp, new deal on the table was poor in comparison to that from WH. Big Sam knows KN's worth and will be a massive player for the hammers this coming season

essexhibee
15-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Don't get it in the slighest particularly from nolans point of view. Captain of a mid-table premiership club moving to a relegated team who I doubt will flourish in the championship. Strange one.

Dunbar Hibee
15-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Big Gazza to the Hibees, Nolan to the Hammers, its been a good day :greengrin

LancashireHibby
15-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Whereas I'm glad that won't be happening as he was incredibly frustrating in his last year at Bolton, though admittedly he'd probably do better under Coyle and being allowed more of an attacking role.

StevieC
15-06-2011, 05:21 PM
There are a few big name players at Newcastle, Joey Barton being one of them, that seem to be angling for a move this summer. It's possible that Nolan just felt that the time was right for a move and a reasonable offer was submitted by West Ham.

Newcastle have the Carroll money and it may be that Pardew is looking towards investing in younger players that he hopes to have around for a few years. Certainly their current signing tagets seem to be around the 24/25 year old mark.

Albion Hibs
15-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I think playing for his old manager will have a huge bearing on things. In addition playing for a team in london is always going to be attractive. I will also take a guess that his wages wont be pash!

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-06-2011, 05:37 PM
There are a few big name players at Newcastle, Joey Barton being one of them, that seem to be angling for a move this summer. It's possible that Nolan just felt that the time was right for a move and a reasonable offer was submitted by West Ham.

Newcastle have the Carroll money and it may be that Pardew is looking towards investing in younger players that he hopes to have around for a few years. Certainly their current signing tagets seem to be around the 24/25 year old mark.

According to a link on BBC Football Barton has been tweeting that himself, Enrique and Guiterrez could also be on their way.

HibeeMG
15-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Whereas I'm glad that won't be happening as he was incredibly frustrating in his last year at Bolton, though admittedly he'd probably do better under Coyle and being allowed more of an attacking role.

Yeah, he was frustrating. I think it was a lot to do with his head being turned by other clubs and he himself being frustrated about being left out of England squads.

But, yes, he would have flourished, I think, under Coyle and alongside Chung-Yong Lee.

Amadou_Konte
15-06-2011, 06:01 PM
It's a bit of a strange one, but as he rejected a new contract last week Pardew might not want to keep him around, despite having 2 years left. As a Newcastle fan it's gutting to lose the most influential player, but hopefully Cabaye can fill his boots and Craig Gardner from Brum could do a job too.

Juice-Terry
15-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Big Gazza to the Hibees, Nolan to the Hammers, its been a good day :greengrin

Amen!

Just Jimmy
15-06-2011, 07:33 PM
newcastle united will have a better squad at the start of this season they did at the close of last. no doubt about it.

HibeeMG
15-06-2011, 07:36 PM
I see they've also signed Ricardo Gardner and Abdoulaye Faye. It's a bit of a Bolton old boys act going on.

Jonnyboy
15-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Big Sam's also signed Ricardo Gardner who played under him at Bolton. Two great signings IMO :agree:

BoltonHibee
15-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Big Sam's also signed Ricardo Gardner who played under him at Bolton. Two great signings IMO :agree:

Only came back for the last few games of the season, was out for almost the entire campaign.

He is toiling to stay injury free now

HibeeMG
15-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Only came back for the last few games of the season, was out for almost the entire campaign.

I've got to say, he was never my favourite player. His final ball was awful and he was a bit of a headless chicken.

He had an annoying habit of doing something great just as I was slagging him off though!

HibbyKeith
15-06-2011, 07:51 PM
According to a link on BBC Football Barton has been tweeting that himself, Enrique and Guiterrez could also be on their way.

I think Enrique will end up at Liverpool. without doubt one of the best left backs in the league. alot of Newcastle's forward play comes through him, and he'll be alot harder to replace than nolan should he too leave this summer.

Guiterrez blows hot and cold, can do the hard stuff with ease then fail to deliver a telling ball, that said he is one of the few at SJP that can have you on the edge of your seat. would like him to stay though.

with the Carroll cash and Ben Arfa coming back from injury the newcastle squad should look pretty promising come the start of the season none the less.

Jonnyboy
15-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Didn't know that M. Hopefully he can avoid injury as he's a good player

Hamish
15-06-2011, 08:12 PM

:agree: Gardner is a player I have always liked

LancashireHibby
15-06-2011, 08:18 PM

And that was in centre midfield where I thought he had a bit of a nightmare. Played at left back with Preston earlier in the season though.

Shame to see Gardner go though, absolutely tremendous servant - not sure why he didn't get a testimonial after 13 years at the club!

Aldo
15-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Beeb to see the toon a few times last season. follow them as Dad is from that area. I fear the loss of Nolan as he is pivitol to all things going foward at Newcastle.

With the expected loss of Enrique and Barton they may struggle next season unless they spend quite a bit a bit of bish bosh.

Amadou_Konte
15-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Pardew says they could sign up to six players, using the Carroll money. Also favourites to sign Demba Ba on a free, with strikers being the main priority this would be a good signing imo, and still have plenty cash left over.

hfc rd
15-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Quite suprised. Departing the EPL for the Championship. However he was a good player under big Sam at Bolton and maybe Allardyce can get the best out of the lad just like the way he did at Bolton.

StevieC
15-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I think Enrique will end up at Liverpool. without doubt one of the best left backs in the league. alot of Newcastle's forward play comes through him, and he'll be alot harder to replace than nolan should he too leave this summer.

Guiterrez blows hot and cold, can do the hard stuff with ease then fail to deliver a telling ball, that said he is one of the few at SJP that can have you on the edge of your seat. would like him to stay though.

with the Carroll cash and Ben Arfa coming back from injury the newcastle squad should look pretty promising come the start of the season none the less.

Cant argue with any of that.

Enrique will be a huge loss, but I'm pretty sure we'll get silly money for him if he goes.

DaveSo
15-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I hear Nolan wanted a 5 year deal.
Newcastle, quite rightly imo, didn't want to offer such a long contract to a 28 year old. They were prepared to offer 4 years but he refused hence a sale.
Big Sam at West Ham must have been the difference for Nolan personally.

heretoday
15-06-2011, 09:30 PM
West Ham pay huge wages. In 2009-10 the hapless Kieron Dyer was on £70,000 a week as was Matthew Upson, a less than rocklike centre-half.

That's £3.6m a year each and they probably get more by now.

Hibeesb0unc3
15-06-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm so happy Nolan went to west ham as he is a good player who will certainly do well in the championship having so much experience in the EPL.

To address the issue of how west ham can afford this move and why he moved i think this signing will almost certainly mean the departure of the beloved Scott Parker which will bring in some money with wages and transfer fee. I would think he moved due Big Sam being there as at both Bolton and Newcastle he was manager and nolan has obviously really enjoyed working with him if he has dropped down a league.

Craig_in_Prague
16-06-2011, 01:32 PM
He signed a 5 year deal........