PDA

View Full Version : Top bar/pub/club thats no longer with us

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Penguin Cafe for me.

EskbankHibby
13-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Absolutely loved the Penguin HH, it then changed it's name to Oubliette's i believe and basically went downhill from there.

Red Hot Pepper Club was another regular haunt sadly no longer with us.

H18sry
13-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Oliver's in Rose street, the best bar none :boo hoo:

.Sean.
13-06-2011, 04:57 PM
The Pheasant in Haddy :boo hoo:

It wasn't the tidiest or indeed cleanest pub, but it was a great place to go with a group of mates. It was cheap, had a cracking pool table, and a jukebox that had everything. The bar staff were great and the place was packed out Thrsday, Friday and Saturday nights and there was always plenty fandan. There were obviously 'characters' residing in the place and there was usually a bit of bother at the weekends but that comes with any pub I suppose.

Brilliant boozer and Haddy's a poorer night out with it gone. Oh aye, and it was also a fine setting for sneaking a cheeky pint or ten when you weren't quite 18 :greengrin

Jack
13-06-2011, 04:58 PM
The Cooper Rest – at least temporarily I think. No one has bothered to say.

MSK
13-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Misty's ..:whistle: ..Blackfriars Bar ..Golden Gates ..Right Wing ...Willowbrae hotel ..

Wembley67
13-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Shades & Barracuda

fat freddy
13-06-2011, 05:37 PM
The Shambles in Stockbridge was surreal....The Astoria in Abbeymount was great for gigs...seen crass,cockney rejects,poison girls,uk subs,exploited and a million others play there and the reggae nights were good as well....The Nite Club above The Playhouse...seen another million bands play there..dead kennedys,chelsea,angelic upstarts ect...And finally...'The Fifty Club' under the old stand or later when it moved across the street onto Albion Road....my dad took me there most weeks from childhood but i only started enjoying it when i was allowed to bevvy....many a drunken conversation was had with stone cold sober hibs players who popped in for an after match pint.

Hiber-nation
13-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Tiffanys :partyhibb

Since90+2
13-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Although its still here The Liquid Rooms is nothing like it was before the fire :boo hoo: The smoking area getting moved has killed it.

Ed De Gramo
13-06-2011, 05:43 PM
The Cooper Rest – at least temporarily I think. No one has bothered to say.

As far as I know....its closed full time until a new owner is found :boo hoo:

Saorsa
13-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Wilkie :rockin:

:boo hoo:

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Absolutely loved the Penguin HH, it then changed it's name to Oubliette's i believe and basically went downhill from there.

Red Hot Pepper Club was another regular haunt sadly no longer with us.

Loved the Penguin, thought it was called The Stones later on??

Wembley67
13-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Was it not the other way around then change to Club 30???

nonshinyfinish
13-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Optimo.

EskbankHibby
13-06-2011, 06:32 PM

Been a few things mate so you could be right, was certainly club 30 for a spell but that was well after Penguin and Oubliettes.

Wembley67
13-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Been a few things mate so you could be right, was certainly club 30 for a spell but that was well after Penguin and Oubliettes.

Was it not the Penguin twice?

hibsbollah
13-06-2011, 08:03 PM
The Lord Darnley. The 'upmarket' one in the pubic triangle but still a bit seedy.

Ohh the venue of course. Some of the best nights of my life in there.

Barman Stanton
13-06-2011, 08:08 PM
La Belle Angele in the Cowgate. A sad day when it burnt down. Was one of the best clubs in Edinburgh for underground music.

EskbankHibby
13-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Was it not the Penguin twice?

May well have been W67, it's empty now, maybe we should all open it as the Penguin for a 3rd time:greengrin.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-06-2011, 08:28 PM
The Pheasant in Haddy :boo hoo:

It wasn't the tidiest or indeed cleanest pub, but it was a great place to go with a group of mates. It was cheap, had a cracking pool table, and a jukebox that had everything. The bar staff were great and the place was packed out Thrsday, Friday and Saturday nights and there was always plenty fandan. There were obviously 'characters' residing in the place and there was usually a bit of bother at the weekends but that comes with any pub I suppose.

Perfect description of a local!

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-06-2011, 08:32 PM
May well have been W67, it's empty now, maybe we should all open it as the Penguin for a 3rd time:greengrin.

Id buy a season ticket for that!

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Got to throw PJ Clarks in there too, and The Trading Post!

Jack
13-06-2011, 09:28 PM
As far as I know....its closed full time until a new owner is found :boo hoo:

Sadly that's unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

Anyone remember the Steamboat?

Whos-the-poster
13-06-2011, 09:44 PM
ESTABLISHMENT :boo hoo:

pacorosssco
14-06-2011, 07:41 AM
The Venue from Pure all the way to MC Otis.
Wilkie House.

Biancos.
The Temple

Betty Boop
14-06-2011, 11:38 AM
The Spiral in Constitution St, and Mintos aka The Duke of Wellington (or was it the other way about ? ). :greengrin

Hibs90
14-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Subway :greengrin

HibbyAndy
14-06-2011, 12:21 PM
The wine glass at Newington.

EskbankHibby
14-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Subway :greengrin

Used to work behind the bar there (Cowgate) when i was a student, interesting times:greengrin.

EskbankHibby
14-06-2011, 12:25 PM
The wine glass at Newington.

Was a brilliant pub, they then tried the old half pub half chinese restaurant combo (:dunno:WTF), now Reverie which just does not feel like a pub imo.

MSK
14-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Was a brilliant pub, they then tried the old half pub half chinese restaurant combo (:dunno:WTF), now Reverie which just does not feel like a pub imo.A tank beer pub too in its prime ..:agree:

essexhibee
14-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Raquels basildon in Essex. Had a certain 'something' about it from what I've read!!

HibbyAndy
14-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Was a brilliant pub, they then tried the old half pub half chinese restaurant combo (:dunno:WTF), now Reverie which just does not feel like a pub imo.

Agree mate dunno what that was all about, Reverie is naewhere near as good as the Wine glass. Always seems to be the best pubs that get shutdown/Closed for whatever reason.Shame.

Barney McGrew
14-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Always seems to be the best pubs that get shutdown/Closed for whatever reason

It's usually because not enough people think they're the best pub any more and stop going into them.

HibbyAndy
14-06-2011, 04:02 PM
It's usually because not enough people think they're the best pub any more and stop going into them.

You think?

MSK
14-06-2011, 04:17 PM
You think?Yip ..a single change of management ..decor/upgrade etc can make a hell of a difference ..:agree:

Sheep's Heid ..Golden Gates good examples ..the sheepy changed management ..guy was a class A knob ..banned folk just for the sake of it ..he then moved to the Gates done the same ..lost a lot of loyal custom ..he stopped entertainment at the gates ..a good source of income & attracted a good young crowd upstairs ..Conan Doyle & the Greenside (beside Playhouse) were good local boozers ..the Breweries ****ed them up ..:agree:

Hiber-nation
14-06-2011, 07:36 PM
The Spiral in Constitution St, and Mintos aka The Duke of Wellington (or was it the other way about ? ). :greengrin

The Spiral definitely :thumbsup:

Used to go to the free disco on a Wednesday night after the Hibs midweek game finished. Happy days...

Wembley67
14-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Yip ..a single change of management ..decor/upgrade etc can make a hell of a difference ..:agree:

Sheep's Heid ..Golden Gates good examples ..the sheepy changed management ..guy was a class A knob ..banned folk just for the sake of it ..he then moved to the Gates done the same ..lost a lot of loyal custom ..he stopped entertainment at the gates ..a good source of income & attracted a good young crowd upstairs ..Conan Doyle & the Greenside (beside Playhouse) were good local boozers ..the Breweries ****ed them up ..:agree:

The Conan is still pretty good...but come to think of it, it's a bit of a pre-theatre bar :rolleyes:

Frazerbob
15-06-2011, 04:11 PM
The Pelican/Kitchen
Buster Browns
Acanthus
Mary Rose (now Jekyl & Hyde)
Beau Brummel (now 99)
The Trading Post
Wilkie House
Cirius

All hold some great memories!

Ants
17-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Wheatsheaf Inn.
Busy Bee.
Chesser Inn.
Telecoms (Sunday afternoons)

Levenhibee
17-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Jackie 'O' and Bentleys night clubs were OK.

PaulSmith
17-06-2011, 09:23 PM
My top but in no particular order:

The TFI Friday nights at Mercado
Faze 1
Westbury's in Corstorphine
Bianco's
Olivers
The Kitchen in Grassmarket

Newhaven
17-06-2011, 10:38 PM
The Biz & The Bull & Bush :aok:

pacorosssco
17-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Wheatsheaf Inn.
Busy Bee.
Chesser Inn.
Telecoms (Sunday afternoons)

how long has wheatchief been boarded up?

Pete
18-06-2011, 01:34 AM
how long has wheatchief been boarded up?

A couple of years now. It's now a dance studio or something. Plenty other yam toilets around there to soak up the dregs.

My nominations are the snooker and squash on slateford road.

The tickled trout.

The Auld toll at the junction of newhaven/bonnington road.

Barney McGrew
18-06-2011, 06:57 AM
For those from a West Lothian direction - the old Room at the Top on Jarvey Street in Bathgate before it burnt down.

Also from Bathgate, Pzzaz and Boozy Suzys

Ants
18-06-2011, 10:37 AM
A couple of years now. It's now a dance studio or something. Plenty other yam toilets around there to soak up the dregs.

My nominations are the snooker and squash on slateford road.

The tickled trout.

The Auld toll at the junction of newhaven/bonnington road.

When the Wheatsheaf was open (5 years ago!!), it had a fairly mixed clientelle, not just yams.
May Jack ran it well, once she left, went downhill rapidly.

RamblingJack
19-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Fairleys and The Top Storey in Leith Street and The Berkeley in Lothian road,also The Cavendish and The Place.Oh and not forgetting The Steamboat down at the docks with the go-go dancers!!!!

Greentinted
19-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Surprised nobody (of similar vintage to masel) hasn't mentioned Kavios in Victoria Street. Circa 1984-86. Some memorable nights in there back in't day.

Derek Dougan
20-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Fox Covert Hotel, downstairs bar, mid to late 80's. 2 pool tables, dart board, the odd fight or 3 and cockroach heaven! Happy memories with the Clerrie boys.

Wembley67
20-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Fox Covert Hotel, downstairs bar, mid to late 80's. 2 pool tables, dart board, the odd fight or 3 and cockroach heaven! Happy memories with the Clerrie boys.

Mind it from the mid 90s but by then it was a ****ty bistro called chips or something like that.

Jack
20-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Tonys Cellar Bar ;-)

Hiber-nation
20-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Tonys Cellar Bar ;-)

:thumbsup:

A good afternoon gentlemen....please welcome Mees Sabrina!

Us daft 17 year olds honestly thought the birds were from Italy....until a boy from my work said Mees Cindee was from Drylaw.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Peaches!
Oh aye and Zenatec for those who are old enough to remember! not sure where I plucked that from.
There was a pub you had to go down stairs to just off St Andrews Sq, Bensons maybe? Remember being steaming getting the bus at Waverley Bridge to go to Liege after a day in there, messy trip!

Killiehibbie
20-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Peaches!Used to enjoy it in there until the bouncers got knocked out for being wide one night.

H18sry
20-06-2011, 09:11 PM
When the Wheatsheaf was open (5 years ago!!), it had a fairly mixed clientelle, not just yams.

She had good staff working for her :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-06-2011, 09:21 PM

I enjoyed the Huns Hearts classic league cup final in The Wheatsheaf. Even though the Yams lost a classic encounter the banter was first class.
When Laudrup ripped the proverbial in the 5 1 SC Final and I was singing Hibs songs in Greys Mill i wasnae made so welcome!

Sprouleflyer
20-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Cupids. Small but a decent place to go for a dance.

Cinders in Stockie, brings back so many memories!!!

Ollie Reed
20-06-2011, 10:18 PM
The old Dizzies. Terrific characters, football's never been the same when that closed.

GhostofBolivar
21-06-2011, 05:15 AM
The Rockin' Horse.

Espionage is a terrible replacement.

Greentinted
21-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Cupids. Small but a decent place to go for a dance.

Cinders in Stockie, brings back so many memories!!!

Thursday nights... guaranteed! If ye wurnae in bed by half 4 it was time tae get yersel hame. :greengrin

Ants
23-06-2011, 08:22 PM
She had good staff working for her :wink:
It was not just the staff!
You remember that big dafty who worked upstairs on a Friday?
Cheery chappy.

TheEastTerrace
23-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Olivers was top for a Saturday afternoon bevvi from about 99-05 then seemed to go downhill.

La Belle Angel, Wilkie House (was actually waiting in line to get in to Sublime when the coppers raided it and shut it down), The Venue (Tribal Funktion and Pure).

The_Exile
23-06-2011, 11:30 PM
La Belle Angele, Jeff Buckley gig was a personal moment of clarity, Oasis, Silnecers, Libertines, Radiohead, unique, gutted when it burnt down, was like losing a member of the family...........

Peevemor
24-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Yip ..a single change of management ..decor/upgrade etc can make a hell of a difference ..:agree:

I don't really think you can blame the brewery for the demise of the Conan Doyle. It was a brilliant 'local' in the middle of town - albeit a wee bit shabby. It started going downhill when Donna McKinlay :drool: (with the help of brewery money IIRC) tried to tart the place up then ex-husband charlie (as was his wont) burned it down.