PDA

View Full Version : pro youth football

blueisthecolour
12-06-2011, 02:58 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on pro youth football, what are the pros and cons, anyone had any dealings with pro youth clubs? I've also heard. Hibs pro youth set up is one of the better ones in Scotland, can anyone confirm.

R'Albin
12-06-2011, 03:14 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on pro youth football, what are the pros and cons, anyone had any dealings with pro youth clubs? I've also heard. Hibs pro youth set up is one of the better ones in Scotland, can anyone confirm.

A couple of folk I know have got into Spl youth teams and tbh they aren't really that good. 3 or 4 of my mates have got into Dundee United, they are decent players don't get me wrong but the only reason they have gotten in is because of their height and build, not on footballing ability IMO.

There is a guy up front for my Sunday league and school team. Absolutely outstanding player, broke his arm this season and missed some games because of suspension, but in the two seasons before he scored 80+ goals in just over 30 games, he also has a fantastic attitude. He got a 6 week trial for Aberdeen, who didn't take him on because he wasn't strong enough!

This is one of the reasons Scottish football is in the state it is in now, even at youth level it's about having the biggest players so you can bully teams out of games. The best team in our juvenile leagues is Albion, they have a weight and height limit, if you don't pass it you don't get into the team(can't remember the exact limit). Going by their rules Messi, Xavi and Iniesta probably wouldn't have managed to get in!

It really frustrates me that some really good players in Scotland won't make it pro, because of their size/build.

Jay
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
A couple of folk I know have got into Spl youth teams and tbh they aren't really that good. 3 or 4 of my mates have got into Dundee United, they are decent players don't get me wrong but the only reason they have gotten in is because of their height and build, not on footballing ability IMO.

There is a guy up front for my Sunday league and school team. Absolutely outstanding player, broke his arm this season and missed some games because of suspension, but in the two seasons before he scored 80+ goals in just over 30 games, he also has a fantastic attitude. He got a 6 week trial for Aberdeen, who didn't take him on because he wasn't strong enough!

This is one of the reasons Scottish football is in the state it is in now, even at youth level it's about having the biggest players so you can bully teams out of games. The best team in our juvenile leagues is Albion, they have a weight and height limit, if you don't pass it you don't get into the team(can't remember the exact limit). Going by their rules Messi, Xavi and Iniesta probably wouldn't have managed to get in!

It really frustrates me that some really good players in Scotland won't make it pro, because of their size/build.

:agree:

From the boys I know including my own, they look for big physical guys the football is secondary. I know many boys who have left boys clubs and were back within a couple of months. Livi, DU and more recently Raith are pretty active round here and I dont think there is much to choose between them.

I do know a boy however who was Hearts through and through. He ate, slept breathed Hearts. His dream was to get into their pro youth set up - he was a cracking wee player too. He was eventually picked up by them but lasted less than a season, he hated the way he was treated and said there was a lot of problems. He then went into the Hibs youth and I last saw him about a year ago and he was loving it. Couldnt praise Hibs enough.

blueisthecolour
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs. S;2826656]:agree:

From the boys I know including my own, they look for big physical guys the football is secondary. I know many boys who have left boys clubs and were back within a couple of months. Livi, DU and more recently Raith are pretty active round here and I dont think there is much to choose between them.

I do know a boy however who was Hearts through and through. He ate, slept breathed Hearts. His dream was to get into their pro youth set up - he was a cracking wee player too. He was eventually picked up by them but lasted less than a season, he hated the way he was treated and said there was a lot of problems. He then went into the Hibs youth and I last saw him about a year ago and he was loving it. Couldnt praise Hibs enough.[/QUO
TE]

What age group is this if you don't mind me asking?/

Jay
12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs. S;2826656]:agree:

I do know a boy however who was Hearts through and through. He ate, slept breathed Hearts. His dream was to get into their pro youth set up - he was a cracking wee player too. He was eventually picked up by them but lasted less than a season, he hated the way he was treated and said there was a lot of problems. He then went into the Hibs youth and I last saw him about a year ago and he was loving it. Couldnt praise Hibs enough.[/QUO
TE]

What age group is this if you don't mind me asking?/

My son is currently just finishing his U14 season (97) but I know boys a year older who were picked up then either left or were dropped over the last couple of years and I think it was around U11 my son was involved. The boy who was/is with Hibs is a 97 birthday too.