PDA

View Full Version : NHC Stirling Albion - cash for trials

Baw Baggio
12-06-2011, 09:39 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13739346.stm

What do folk think of this? Poor show if you ask me.

Baldy Foghorn
12-06-2011, 09:47 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13739346.stm

What do folk think of this? Poor show if you ask me.

Don't agree with any player having to pay for a trial....:rolleyes:

Antifa Hibs
12-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Embarrassing if you ask me. Wonder if yer wee Dutch or Croatian outfits charge potential players for trials. Scottish game gets more laughable by the week.

Hope Uncle Rod doesn't see this :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-06-2011, 09:52 AM
In a wider sense, I think that someone in Albion's PR set-up, if they have one, has been given a bit of a free hand. They had the sponsorship hoo-ha and then getting players lke Ronaldo to buy shares. So however it works out, well done to them for raising the profile of a wee club.

Hibbyradge
12-06-2011, 09:52 AM

They don't have to. It's a choice thing.

I didn't agree with having to pay for my beer last night.

I did it though.

truehibernian
12-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Fantastic idea on many levels. Firstly it generates income for a great wee club in SA. Secondly it means that some talent who may have slipped through the net because of nepotism, poor managerial/coaching judgement, lack of chances, personality clashes at previous clubs (pro,semi-pro, amateur, juvenile) get the chance to showcase their talent.

For those that say it is an embarrassment to Scottish football.......what on earth do you think places like the Glenn Hoddle Academy and other soccer schools are doing ? In short it offers another wee ray of hope for those still enthusiastic to play football. I am all for any idea that promotes sport and particularly football. Stuart Lovell is worried that it demeans football.......I think Celtic, Rangers, fans attacking managers, flares in grounds (not the 70's shangalang variety :greengrin), 96th minute goals v Lichtenstein, SPL voting fiascos.........have already done the damage Stuart.......you should concentrate your efforts on far bigger things IMHO as the players rep........and start tipping more winners mate :wink:

You will always get your pub league chancer trying his 'last chance saloon, I coulda been a contenda' type, turning up and giving it a go........it's his £200 blabs to waste. However I think big Jocky Scott would quite quickly tell those types that they aint got it......in quite colourful terms too :greengrin

Beefster
12-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Fantastic idea on many levels. Firstly it generates income for a great wee club in SA. Secondly it means that some talent who may have slipped through the net because of nepotism, poor managerial/coaching judgement, lack of chances, personality clashes at previous clubs (pro,semi-pro, amateur, juvenile) get the chance to showcase their talent.

For those that say it is an embarrassment to Scottish football.......what on earth do you think places like the Glenn Hoddle Academy and other soccer schools are doing ? In short it offers another wee ray of hope for those still enthusiastic to play football. I am all for any idea that promotes sport and particularly football. Stuart Lovell is worried that it demeans football.......I think Celtic, Rangers, fans attacking managers, flares in grounds (not the 70's shangalang variety :greengrin), 96th minute goals v Lichtenstein, SPL voting fiascos.........have already done the damage Stuart.......you should concentrate your efforts on far bigger things IMHO as the players rep........and start tipping more winners mate :wink:

You will always get your pub league chancer trying his 'last chance saloon, I coulda been a contenda' type, turning up and giving it a go........it's his £200 blabs to waste. However I think big Jocky Scott would quite quickly tell those types that they aint got it......in quite colourful terms too :greengrin

I'm almost certain that Hoddle's academy doesn't charge the players for trials for it or a secured place.

truehibernian
12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm almost certain that Hoddle's academy doesn't charge the players for trials for it or a secured place.

You are correct beefster however you still have to pay your way (in a sense) when you live in Spain. As well as that, once you hopefully sign a contract with a pro club (Fergus Bell is there at present and one of our ex players sadly....good player too) Hoddle's academy gets a cut in any fee or subsequent fee. So the actual cost is in there, just not from the outset. It wasn't a criticism of Hoddle's place or other academies.......I think they should be applauded.

You are right though mate. As with everything though there is always a cost hidden in there somewhere.

Sir David Gray
12-06-2011, 01:15 PM

No-one's forcing players to have a trial with Stirling Albion. However they are fully aware that, if they do want a trial with them at the moment, it will cost them £200.

The club's not hiding any charges.

I think it's a good way for a small, cash-strapped club to make some much needed money.

sahib
12-06-2011, 01:47 PM
No-one's forcing players to have a trial with Stirling Albion. However they are fully aware that, if they do want a trial with them at the moment, it will cost them £200.

I think it's a good way for a small, cash-strapped club to make some much needed money.

No one apart from a recession and rising unemployment. It is a form of exploitation. How do you fancy being on the dole and having to pay out for every job interview. How many applicants could the employer rip off? Where I work we can easily get over fifty applications for one job. Mind you they still manage to give it to the biggest tosser applying.

HH81
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM

I think this is the only post I have ever agreed with you..:-)

iwasthere1972
12-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Be interesting to know how many of those paying trialists actually gain a place at Stirling Albion. I don't necessarily disagree with it unless it just turns out to be a money making exercise.

KWJ
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Be interesting to know how many of those paying trialists actually gain a place at Stirling Albion. I don't necessarily disagree with it unless it just turns out to be a money making exercise.

I'd imagine the vast minority just like the vast minority of trialists at clubs get contracts.

iwasthere1972
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I'd imagine the vast minority just like the vast minority of trialists at clubs get contracts.

I know that but what I would be interested to also know is how many players are arriving there for a trial. Are they turning up in droves like the X Factor just for someone to say "next". They could be raking it in.

Petrie I hope you're reading this. :aok:

Albion Hibs
12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I think they are trying to raise some extra funds for the club doing something a bit different. What if this money is the difference between them going bust or not - in such a case it is a great idea.

At the end of a day it is up to those who want to spend their own money, not really anything to do with anyone else. If some youngster with a bit of ability has 200 in his pocket that may give him the chance to do something as a career that he has always wanted to do then ideal for him I would have thought!

Sir David Gray
12-06-2011, 03:16 PM
No one apart from a recession and rising unemployment. It is a form of exploitation. How do you fancy being on the dole and having to pay out for every job interview. How many applicants could the employer rip off? Where I work we can easily get over fifty applications for one job. Mind you they still manage to give it to the biggest tosser applying.

There's loads of clubs of Stirling Albion's stature looking to pick up players at this time of year and most clubs don't charge for trials. If players are aware of this and yet they are still prepared to pay £200 to try out for Stirling Albion then I don't see the problem.

I think this is the only post I have ever agreed with you..:-)

You have no idea how much this disappoints me! :wink:

lucky
12-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Heard on the radio last week that 11 have been invited to pre season training. Jock Scott is so impressed by the standard that they doing it again in January. Personally I think its a great idea

NYHibby
12-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm surprised that people are opposed to this. It is the norm for plenty of places to charge for attending an open trial.

For example, the team I worked for in America charged $100 to attend an open trial day. We always got 30 to 50 people and a handful or so would be invited back.

southern hibby
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
looking from a different perspective. I CANT KICK A BALL.

I would pay £200 for a trial just for the prestige of saying I had trials with (especially if it was with the team I love)

ROD sort it out.lol

KWJ
12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I know that but what I would be interested to also know is how many players are arriving there for a trial. Are they turning up in droves like the X Factor just for someone to say "next". They could be raking it in.

Petrie I hope you're reading this. :aok:

See what you mean. It's not quite the same glamour as the Inter Milan contract Mourinho thing on sky.

See what the guy says about being able to have trials with Stirling Albion. If I was in shape I'd consider it, who knows might have the day of your life and stick everything in the top corner :greengrin Most likely you'll look like a huddy. Wonder if you'd be training with their first team, could have got a game with Sean Welsh!

iwasthere1972
12-06-2011, 05:37 PM
See what you mean. It's not quite the same glamour as the Inter Milan contract Mourinho thing on sky.

See what the guy says about being able to have trials with Stirling Albion. If I was in shape I'd consider it, who knows might have the day of your life and stick everything in the top corner :greengrin Most likely you'll look like a huddy. Wonder if you'd be training with their first team, could have got a game with Sean Welsh!

If I was a few years younger :wink: I too might have been tempted. Light on my feet and could score with both feet (not at the same time of course) and my head. Occasionally I got lucky when one would fly into the net off my :asshole:. Slim in stature and built for speed.

In fact I might get myself over to Stirling. Well if Davie Weir can do it then why not.

The Harp
12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I suppose it makes a change from footballers having to part wi' cash AFTER a trial.

Lucius Apuleius
13-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Hey, I am 55. If I was at home I would have gone along to say just that!!!!

Hibs Class
13-06-2011, 05:25 PM

I'm wondering now how you got a job there! :greengrin (no offence intended!)