PDA

View Full Version : NHC Alex McLeish - Will he won't he?

iwasthere1972
11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Bookies new favourite to land Aston Villa job. About the only name not to be associated with this job is CC.

Would Big Eck jump ship if offered the hot seat at Villa Park.

You bet he would. :agree:

HibbyAndy
11-06-2011, 10:33 AM
David Moyes 3/1..Why on gods earth would he leave Everton to join that shower :confused:

The Harp
11-06-2011, 10:44 AM
With Martinez declaring he's staying at Wigan and Mark Hughes apparently not interested, he might well get the offer. It's a highly prestigious job but could cause all sorts of bother between Birmingham and Villa fans I would imagine.:take that

Hamish
11-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Can't see it - unless he went on the pitch on the last day of the season and told the Birmingham fans he was there as long as they wanted him to be.........

sunshine1875
11-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Bookies new favourite to land Aston Villa job. About the only name not to be associated with this job is CC.

Would Big Eck jump ship if offered the hot seat at Villa Park.

You bet he would. :agree:

They don't call him the Ginger Judas for nothing!

Baldy Foghorn
11-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Can't see it - unless he went on the pitch on the last day of the season and told the Birmingham fans he was there as long as they wanted him to be.........

:agree::agree::agree:

Still angers me to this day, Ginger Judas.....

Hakim Sar
11-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't touch the Aston Villa job just now. They are effectively locked out of the top 6 because of finances so Europe wouldn't be on the cards. They are losing all there best players with no real prospect of splashing some cash on replacements and I think the Darren Bent transfer was misleading. I dont think there is much in the piggy bank to back it up.

Brum are boring though and Carson Yeoung don't seem to have the cash he promised he did. Wouldn't blame Eck for leaving.

The Harp
11-06-2011, 10:57 AM
David Moyes 3/1..Why on gods earth would he leave Everton to join that shower :confused:

Hope Davie Moyes sticks wi' the toffees. :wink: He's done a great job over the years at Goodison on a player budget that's small compared to some clubs of a similar size in the Premiership.

Beefster
11-06-2011, 11:32 AM
:agree::agree::agree:

Still angers me to this day, Ginger Judas.....

It surprises me that folk get upset about a remark that obviously never really meant anything (even at the time) rather than focus on the team, football and (relative) success that McLeish gave us during his spell in charge.

No McLeish - no Sauzee, no Latapy, no Scottish Cup final, no 6-2, no 0-3. That sort of stuff will always take precedence, for me, over the fact that he left Hibs when his stock was high.

Baldy Foghorn
11-06-2011, 11:46 AM
It surprises me that folk get upset about a remark that obviously never really meant anything (even at the time) rather than focus on the team, football and (relative) success that McLeish gave us during his spell in charge.

No McLeish - no Sauzee, no Latapy, no Scottish Cup final, no 6-2, no 0-3. That sort of stuff will always take precedence, for me, over the fact that he left Hibs when his stock was high.

He should not have said anything then Beefster.....He has done the same at every team he has gone too, one or two great seasons with club, then the performances and results fade......

Dashing Bob S
11-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Can't see a loyal and steadfast character like Eck joining another club simply because they have more money and resources. Indeed the whole concept is alien to to the Corinthian values of the modern professional game.

erin go bragh
11-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Yes yes yes yes and yes but still a judas ,however if he didnt say all the pash about being here as long as we wanted him blah blah blah ,, good manager for us but still a gj :wink:
ggtth

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Didn't O'Neil walk out of Villa because they would not give him transfer money? That was when Villa were getting some decent league placings. Does it show the owner's ambitions that they went for Martinez, who has experience doing at lot with not much money, and then go for much the same in McLeish?

ScottB
11-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Why should he stay? Everton have no money, he's unlikely to achieve more there than he already has, probably needs to do well at another club before a big job comes his way.

And I was speaking to an agent back at New Year who reckoned Moyes had tried to quit when he was told he what he was getting in the transfer window, but was persuaded to wait and think again in the summer. Maybe nonsense, but I don't think he'll be there that much longer, particularly if they punt Rodwell and co during this window.

He should not have said anything then Beefster.....He has done the same at every team he has gone too, one or two great seasons with club, then the performances and results fade......

He's a fixer, that's how I see him. Bring him in and he has a proven power to turn a team around and get them going, but long term he runs out of ideas. He should probably be looking to move on.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 12:56 PM

That would be unheard of surely?

Scorrie
11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Hope Davie Moyes sticks wi' the toffees. :wink: He's done a great job over the years at Goodison on a player budget that's small compared to some clubs of a similar size in the Premiership.

I agree and as a Toffee, I hope he stays. But with no money at Everton unless they sell players, I wonder when Moyes will think he's had enough and move on. Not for a couple of seasons I hope.

CallumLaidlaw
11-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I agree and as a Toffee, I hope he stays. But with no money at Everton unless they sell players, I wonder when Moyes will think he's had enough and move on. Not for a couple of seasons I hope.

He'd still be mad to go to villa. 99% of everton fans appreciate what he does for the club. Villa fans are the most unrealistic fans I've ever heard. A lot weren't happy with o'neill, thinking they should be doing better than they were, and they were on Ssn the other day saying Martinez wasn't big enough for thier MASSIVE club :rolleyes:

The Harp
11-06-2011, 01:55 PM

Probably DM's record at Everton, achieved despite having comparatively little to spend, will be of interest to the Villa board. As Northernhibby has said, the guys quoted as in the running for the Villa job (Martinez, McLeish and now Moyes) are accustomed to working with little money for players. It would seem to be a side ways move for Moyes IMHO with similar restraints in the transfer market.

Brizo
11-06-2011, 03:24 PM
McLeish is expert at jumping ship just as things are going pear shaped at whichever particular club hes been with. M/well , Hibs , Huns , Scotland and now looks like he'll get out of Bham before hes sacked. Its a great talent to have and its one which has kept him in continuous employment in an industry where better managers than him have been long term on dole.

In an industry where its all about looking after number one hes done it better than most ... still a GJP though :greengrin

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 05:34 PM
He'd still be mad to go to villa. 99% of everton fans appreciate what he does for the club. Villa fans are the most unrealistic fans I've ever heard. A lot weren't happy with o'neill, thinking they should be doing better than they were, and they were on Ssn the other day saying Martinez wasn't big enough for thier MASSIVE club :rolleyes:

If Moyes ever manages to get Everton playing some time before Xmas they will be in with a shout of the title. Late starters dosent even cover it.

KeithTheHibby
11-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Not only did he walk out on Hibs he also done the same with Scotland.

The word Judas was made for him.

I was personally delighted to see Birmingham relegated - nothing against Birmingham though.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Not only did he walk out on Hibs he also done the same with Scotland.

The word Judas was made for him.

I was personally delighted to see Birmingham relegated - nothing against Birmingham though.

How come he dosent get the blame for that?

3pm
11-06-2011, 05:56 PM

He somehow has the media believing he hasn't been backed financially.

I wanted him sacked before he went to Ibrox.

LancashireHibby
11-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Because he managed to win a major trophy during the same season.

ScottB
11-06-2011, 06:44 PM
He somehow has the media believing he hasn't been backed financially.

I wanted him sacked before he went to Ibrox.

Indeed, folk seem to have forgotten the horrific form we had January - when he left. At least as bad as Hughes had us on!

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Because he managed to win a major trophy during the same season.

Fair do's I suppose but what do the fans think? Would they swap the League cup for League status?
He did get us to the Scottish Cup final with the biggest budget of any Hibs manager.

bighairyfaeleith
11-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Mcleish is the ultimate judas, he will take the job defo!!

LancashireHibby
11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Fair do's I suppose but what do the fans think? Would they swap the League cup for League status?
He did get us to the Scottish Cup final with the biggest budget of any Hibs manager.

Would we swap a Scottish Cup win or even a League Cup win for a year or two in the First Division? Quite possibly, I'd say.

Www1875hfc
11-06-2011, 07:40 PM
What Bookies Is Offering The Best Price On Mcleish Taking The Villa Job?

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Would we swap a Scottish Cup win or even a League Cup win for a year or two in the First Division? Quite possibly, I'd say.

Scottish cup win maybe but only given our history with the fuchin thing.

League Cup? Naw.....

Hiber-nation
11-06-2011, 07:50 PM
What Bookies Is Offering The Best Price On Mcleish Taking The Villa Job?

3/1 at Boylesports. 4/5 at Hills so bookies aren't sure on this one.

Beefster
11-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Indeed, folk seem to have forgotten the horrific form we had January - when he left. At least as bad as Hughes had us on!

He left in early December. His record was pretty much won or drawn 50%, lost 50%. Nothing like Hughes' form in the last 7 months.

Sauzee was in charge in January.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 08:02 PM
He left in early December. His record was pretty much won or drawn 50%, lost 50%. Nothing like Hughes' form in the last 7 months.

Sauzee was in charge in January.

McLeish has as good stats as any recent Hibs manager and is second only to Mowbray in win %.

However, if you take the games played in the first division out of the equation his stats are very similar to Williamson's and only slightly ahead of Yogi's.

sahib
11-06-2011, 08:16 PM
McLeish has as good stats as any recent Hibs manager and is second only to Mowbray in win %.

However, if you take the games played in the first division out of the equation his stats are very similar to Williamson's and only slightly ahead of Yogi's.

That means Mogga's stats must be pretty good. Ah! and yet how they mocked when he talked about winning more than you lose. What did he mean? We are the Edinburgh Hibees we win every game - in our ****ing dreams.:greengrin
Still my wife likes Mcleish cause he reminds her of Charlie Brown from the Peanuts cartoon strip.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
That means Mogga's stats must be pretty good. Ah! and yet how they mocked when he talked about winning more than you lose. What did he mean? We are the Edinburgh Hibees we win every game - in our ****ing dreams.:greengrin
Still my wife likes Mcleish cause he reminds her of Charlie Brown from the Peanuts cartoon strip.

Mogga has the best stats in recent times. You have to go back to Turnbull for better.

That said Celtic fans may disagree :greengrin

Beefster
11-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Interesting stuff and fairly surprising. I suppose that the tail end of the relegation season and first half of 2001/02 didn't do any favours. My stats were referring to the season of his departure though.

I still think, considering it was straight after promotion, a sixth place finish followed by a third place and SC final is fairly good!

ScottB
11-06-2011, 08:47 PM

His last season and a half was very similar to Yogi's. Spectacular results till Christmas, then rubbish till he left.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Interesting stuff and fairly surprising. I suppose that the tail end of the relegation season and first half of 2001/02 didn't do any favours. My stats were referring to the season of his departure though.

I still think, considering it was straight after promotion, a sixth place finish followed by a third place and SC final is fairly good!

Some of the best players I have seen at ER since the seventies but overall we lost money hand over fist which is the bit that hurts so it was therefore unsustainable. Williamson did ok considering his remit and the tail end of Yogi's didnt do him any favours either.

We keep getting told that we need to buy players to fill the stadium but when Latapty, Sauzee and co couldnt fill it I despair.

sesoim
11-06-2011, 09:06 PM
If Moyes ever manages to get Everton playing some time before Xmas they will be in with a shout of the title. Late starters dosent even cover it.

I think the fact that Everton can only afford to sign top players if they are injury prone is the main reason why they can never play well all season.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Some of the best players I have seen at ER since the seventies but overall we lost money hand over fist which is the bit that hurts so it was therefore unsustainable. Williamson did ok considering his remit and the tail end of Yogi's didnt do him any favours either.

We keep getting told that we need to buy players to fill the stadium but when Latapty, Sauzee and co couldnt fill it I despair.
:agree:
I'm forever hearing people decrying a lack of ambition and I have some sympathy with that however at that time the board were ambitious and a lot of money was invested in the team (at the same time as the largest part of the stadium redevelopment) yet that ambition wasn't matched by the fans and crowds were relatively poor.

Luna_Asylum
11-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Do you have the figures of how much money was lost then. I thought the huge debt the club had was from building the 3 stands.

heretoday
11-06-2011, 09:33 PM
God I hope Moyes doesn't go to Villa or anyone else.

I'm sure he feels as I do that given some breaks with early season injuries Everton could be right up there in the top bracket.

They weren't too far away last year despite it all. I don't know how they did it!

The nightmare would be if he went to Villa and McLeish took over at Goodison. I only just survived Walter Smith's regime!

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Do you have the figures of how much money was lost then. I thought the huge debt the club had was from building the 3 stands.

The cost of the North and South stands was met by the property arm of HFC Holdings, not by the club. There is/was a £4m mortgage for the West which was personally guranteed by STF.

Beefster
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
His last season and a half was very similar to Yogi's. Spectacular results till Christmas, then rubbish till he left.

Your memory is playing tricks. Check it out and I bet that Hughes' losses are a fair bit higher percentage-wise.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Your memory is playing tricks. Check it out and I bet that Hughes' losses are a fair bit higher percentage-wise.

Yogi lost nearly 43% of his games and Eck, excluding the foray in the first, 33%.

ekhibee
11-06-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't support any English team, but if I did it would be Aston Villa, they have a lot of connections with Scotland from when the club was founded, and have always had either a Scot in the team or in the backroom staff or board. I also remember the great team in the eighties that won the European Cup, so in my opinion it's still a great job to have, manager of Aston Villa. My choice would be Davie Moyes, but it probably would be a sideways move.