PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Kevin McDonald

hfc rd
10-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Just got a text from my mate saying that supposedly this guy has a signed a two year deal with us. I don't know where he got his source from but I do remember is this guy's aunt taught me at college last year and kept going on about him as if he was some sort of world class player.

If it is true then, I will be in kind of in two minds about this. His football ability is very good and I remember that he was being linked with quite a lot of clubs when he was playing for the 1st team at Dundee when he was a young teenager. When I saw him play for Burnley, I thought he looked a good player with potential. My cousin, who is a Manchester United season ticket holder, said that he was quite a good player for Burnley as he was getting stuck in and working hard and that he wasn't fazed by the opposition when they played them in the prem 2 seasons ago. I would take this type of player at Hibs anyday.

On the other side, I think I have heard him being in the headlines for the wrong reasons off the pitch. I recall once that he showed total disrespect to Burnley by going to a pub at half time when he was subbed against Man City, in a match they lost something like 5-1 or 6-1, and was rightly so fined by the club. If this is the guys attitude, then I will be very dissapointed as I simply don't want to see us sign players who don't give a f***. I want players who have desire and hunger to fight for the jersey and give their all no matter what with the right attitude. Not players who are going to take a hissy fit at being subbed and decide to f*** around off the pitch and get into the headlines for the very wrong reasons. That is basically why he lost his place at Burnley.

Anyways don't know what truth is in this rumour but if true then I will be like I said in two minds. A bit of me will be saying that I am happy at this signing due to football ability, but the other side will be saying that I am dissapointed at signing a guy who has been in the headlines for the wrong reason and isn't someone who the younger players can look up to.

NOLA
10-06-2011, 01:13 AM
kevin mcdonald from 3 years ago yes please, no thanks the waster hes turned into.

KiddA
10-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Just got a text from my mate saying that supposedly this guy has a signed a two year deal with us. I don't know where he got his source from but I do remember is this guy's aunt taught me at college last year and kept going on about him as if he was some sort of world class player.

If it is true then, I will be in kind of in two minds about this. His football ability is very good and I remember that he was being linked with quite a lot of clubs when he was playing for the 1st team at Dundee when he was a young teenager. When I saw him play for Burnley, I thought he looked a good player with potential. My cousin, who is a Manchester United season ticket holder, said that he was quite a good player for Burnley as he was getting stuck in and working hard and that he wasn't fazed by the opposition when they played them in the prem 2 seasons ago. I would take this type of player at Hibs anyday.

On the other side, I think I have heard him being in the headlines for the wrong reasons off the pitch. I recall once that he showed total disrespect to Burnley by going to a pub at half time when he was subbed against Man City, in a match they lost something like 5-1 or 6-1, and was rightly so fined by the club. If this is the guys attitude, then I will be very dissapointed as I simply don't want to see us sign players who don't give a f***. I want players who have desire and hunger to fight for the jersey and give their all no matter what with the right attitude. Not players who are going to take a hissy fit at being subbed and decide to f*** around off the pitch and get into the headlines for the very wrong reasons. That is basically why he lost his place at Burnley.

Anyways don't know what truth is in this rumour but if true then I will be like I said in two minds. A bit of me will be saying that I am happy at this signing due to football ability, but the other side will be saying that I am dissapointed at signing a guy who has been in the headlines for the wrong reason and isn't someone who the younger players can look up to.

Says he has signed on wiki but anyone can edit that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_McDonald_%28footballer_born_1988%29

Beefster
10-06-2011, 05:46 AM
If he does sign, why doesn't everyone give him a chance, judge him on his performances and let the club manage him as an employee like any other employer/employee relationship?

This moralising about the behaviour of players is getting out of hand on here. Folk seem to be putting their off-field behaviour above what they [can] contribute on the field.

IWasThere2016
10-06-2011, 06:01 AM
I golf with his uncle and we are associates - and there's been no mention. I'll text him now but I don't believe this is true. He changed agent from Scot to English-based as he wants to stay dann saff.

Aldo
10-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Good player IMHO....played a few games in the EPL and did he not score a cracker against Man city at Eastlands after being set up by Stevie Fletcher.

Cmon TQM you not found out yet....:wink:

IWasThere2016
10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Good player IMHO....played a few games in the EPL and did he not score a cracker against Man city at Eastlands after being set up by Stevie Fletcher.

Cmon TQM you not found out yet....:wink:

Kev's in Mecheeecho (so he's asleep I guess) on his holidays and his uncle doesnae ken! :greengrin

basehibby
10-06-2011, 07:31 AM
This could be a very good signing - heard some V good stuff about him when he was with Dundee and his experience down south will have done him no harm.

The HT pub incident sounds like a one off to me - hopefully he's learned the lesson.

Hibs7
10-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Kev's in Mecheeecho (so he's asleep I guess) on his holidays and his uncle doesnae ken! :greengrin

do you know anything these days !!!!:greengrin

CMcP
10-06-2011, 08:40 AM
If he does sign, why doesn't everyone give him a chance, judge him on his performances and let the club manage him as an employee like any other employer/employee relationship?

This moralising about the behaviour of players is getting out of hand on here. Folk seem to be putting their off-field behaviour above what they [can] contribute on the field.

:top marks

IWasThere2016
10-06-2011, 09:20 AM
do you know anything these days !!!!:greengrin

:na na:

Wilbur
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
If he is on his holidays, then unlikely he has signed any deal. Unless he signed then flew off on holiday, but I doubt it. :greengrin

aberhibsfc
10-06-2011, 09:51 AM
This could be a very good signing - heard some V good stuff about him when he was with Dundee and his experience down south will have done him no harm.

The HT pub incident sounds like a one off to me - hopefully he's learned the lesson.

We were interested in him when he was at Dundee, I think we dithered a bit too long and his performances started to attract teams down south. Disappointed we didn't get him then, certainly couldn't compete financially or football level wise with Burnley.

Maybe his form has dipped, but Burnley as a whole have been in decline. They replaced Coyle with an old Burnley character but didn't have the right qualities, didn't think he was an ideal choice at all. Maybe in a settled, forward thinking team, his qualities would be polished up and start performing. Personally I'd be delighted if we got him, but wouldn't be surprised if this is total Greggs.

JimBHibees
10-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Lets not beat about the bush Kevin McDonald would be a great signing for Hibs. Quality player who only needs games and will only get better. Think he scored a couple of goals when Burnley beat Arsenal in the League cup a couple of years ago.

smurf
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Lets not beat about the bush Kevin McDonald would be a great signing for Hibs. Quality player who only needs games and will only get better. Think he scored a couple of goals when Burnley beat Arsenal in the League cup a couple of years ago.

Spot on.

Andy74
10-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Like TQM I'd be surprised. Had heard of him being offered around English clubs as he was determined to stay down there.

Future17
10-06-2011, 02:33 PM

If that's in reference to the OP, I don't think his post constitutes "moralising" or, even if it did, that it is "out of hand".

We've had recent problems with squad indiscipline on many levels which have undoubtedly caused us to suffer as a club and stunted our progress on the pitch.

If we were signing players without questioning their professionalism then I would be more worried than I currently am about the fact that we aren't signing any players at all.

Beefster
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
If that's in reference to the OP, I don't think his post constitutes "moralising" or, even if it did, that it is "out of hand".

We've had recent problems with squad indiscipline on many levels which have undoubtedly caused us to suffer as a club and stunted our progress on the pitch.

If we were signing players without questioning their professionalism then I would be more worried than I currently am about the fact that we aren't signing any players at all.

I thought that I made it clear that I was talking about a general pattern of moralising on this forum but there has been some on this thread too.

We don't want O'Connor, he sometimes acts like a young laddie.

We don't want McDonald, he left at halftime once.

We don't want Stokes, he likes a drink and a bet.

We don't want Bamba, he thinks he's special.

We don't want Riordan, he's banned from some pubs.

We don't want Stack, he drinks in George Street.

Never mind that they all have or would improve the dross we have to suffer every week.

It's like the letters page of the Daily Mail on here sometimes.

IWasThere2016
10-06-2011, 03:15 PM

You're familiar with the Daily Mail? :cool2:

Like has been said would be an excellent signing but we have other priorities and I've explained before he wants to stay in England. Don't see it happening!

R'Albin
10-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I thought that I made it clear that I was talking about a general pattern of moralising on this forum but there has been some on this thread too.

Never mind that they all have or would improve the dross we have to suffer every week.

:top marks

Future17
10-06-2011, 04:34 PM

I agree that some comments are ridiculous and, in general, people may have certain standards which are higher than we, realistically, can afford to demand.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with indicating that we don't necessarily want players who allegedly:

- Take drugs.
- Crash cars and flee the scene.
- Drink-drive.
- Drive without insurance.
- Have problems with alcohol.
- Have problems with gambling.
- Engage in illegal violent behaviour.

if there is a danger that, regardless of their ability on the pitch, they may cost our club in any number of ways with their actions of it.

As a club, we currently have the worst reputation in Scotland (if not the UK) for this sort of thing IMO. We'd be kidding ourselves if we think that this type of bad publicity doesn't affect the decision-making of potential signing targets or, in the case of younger talent, the decision-making of their parents.

Let's not forget that our best chance in recent years to retain the services (long-term) of the only manager likely to have the ability/knowledge/experience to break the culture of unprofessionalism that exists at our club and in Scottish football in general, was ruined, in part, by a complete lack of discipline within the squad at that time.

Beefster
10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Having said that, there's nothing wrong with indicating that we don't necessarily want players who allegedly:

- Take drugs.
- Drink-drive.

I disagree with this bit in particular. The club has HR, medical and legal experts so that they can make these type of judgement calls and put safeguards in place. If they subsequently decide that a player isn't worth the risk - fair enough. It's not the support's job to be the moral guardians of the club.

The support only superficially knows the background to any 'bad behaviour' but don't waste any time in judging players. Just like most of us on here will have made mistakes at some point (especially in our teens and twenties), if you give a young lad too much money and free time some will misbehave from time to time.

We're a club that are only going to get special players if they are 'flawed' in some way, unless they come through the ranks. I'd rather that, if Hibs think that they can manage an employee, we concentrated on the talent that a player brings to the club.

Edit: Your point about Collins was primarily down to Rodders mis-managing the situation, if the rumours are to be believed. Again, if an employer manages their employees properly, a lot of problems can be averted or dealt with quickly.

Wheat Hound
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Signing to be announced at 6pm today according to football rumours.

Yes, yes, I know............its 6:04pm now and no sign yet. Damn website full of pash; -)

MWHIBBIES
10-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Anyone else think we should have an official ''text from my mate'' thread :greengrin

sunshine1875
10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Signing to be announced at 6pm today according to football rumours.

Yes, yes, I know............its 6:04pm now and no sign yet. Damn website full of pash; -)

He signed his first name, then rushed off to the pub........hasn't returned yet :agree:

SmokieJoe
11-06-2011, 12:46 AM

CC is looking for senior pro's (no not hookers) to lead the youngsters away from the likes.

SmokieJoe
11-06-2011, 12:54 AM
He signed his first name, then rushed off to the pub........hasn't returned yet :agree:
:cheers::party::drunk::partyhibb:taxi:sick::ill:
:rotflmao:

DAVE1875
11-06-2011, 05:03 AM
If he is on his holidays, then unlikely he has signed any deal. Unless he signed then flew off on holiday, but I doubt it. :greengrin

He might of done, get alot of players signing for new teams doing that; signing for a club just before going off on holiday and the club deciding to announce them as a new player when they come back.

aberhibsfc
11-06-2011, 07:20 AM
I agree that some comments are ridiculous and, in general, people may have certain standards which are higher than we, realistically, can afford to demand.

- Take drugs.
- Drink-drive.

if there is a danger that, regardless of their ability on the pitch, they may cost our club in any number of ways with their actions of it.

As a club, we currently have the worst reputation in Scotland (if not the UK) for this sort of thing IMO. We'd be kidding ourselves if we think that this type of bad publicity doesn't affect the decision-making of potential signing targets or, in the case of younger talent, the decision-making of their parents.

Let's not forget that our best chance in recent years to retain the services (long-term) of the only manager likely to have the ability/knowledge/experience to break the culture of unprofessionalism that exists at our club and in Scottish football in general, was ruined, in part, by a complete lack of discipline within the squad at that time.

Don't forget how many clubs they've played for, height and website. Any word on Cruyff and Capucho, that bus is taking longer than any tram.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 07:39 AM
I agree with your points here Beefster but the key is if the player is deemed to have other "issues" as you describe then the club has to able to manage this. If they are confident they can then go for it. If they cant then it's Grant Brebner all over again. And we only have to look at recent season's to see that it's like cancer to to a team/squad.

Christ we dont even know if GOC actually did anything worse than behave like a tool and we've got him marked like something out of Trainspotting.

scoopyboy
11-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I agree with your points here Beefster but the key is if the player is deemed to have other "issues" as you describe then the club has to able to manage this. If they are confident they can then go for it. If they cant then it's Grant Brebner all over again. And we only have to look at recent season's to see that it's like cancer to to a team/squad.

Christ we dont even know if GOC actually did anything worse than behave like a tool and we've got him marked like something out of Trainspotting.

Trainspotting was one of my favourite films, in fact it still is.

I think GOC would have fitted into that film quite nicely.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Trainspotting was one of my favourite films, in fact it still is.

I think GOC would have fitted into that film quite nicely.

I only met him the once so I will bow to knowledge on that one Scoop. :greengrin

scoopyboy
11-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I only met him the once so I will bow to knowledge on that one Scoop. :greengrin

Kaiser me old son, I think he would be bigger than Ewan McGregor and the bonus is he would only have to be himself.

silverhibee
11-06-2011, 02:04 PM

- Take drugs.
- Drink-drive.

I would disagree with this bit, the yams are probaly worse than us, players caught taking class A drugs and charged, player waiting to go to trial on for being a perv, fire arms charges for Wallace, Nade blagging cars, there is probaly more.
It just seems that when its a Hibs player doing something wrong it gets splattered all over the front pages of the press, it looks like the press have it in for Hibs and even the smallest thing the press make a big deal of it.
When the EEN ran the story about players being caught with drugs up town a few weeks ago it was all about ex Hibs player GOC being caught, Black and the other lad who are employed by yams club hardly got a mention, it was all about GOC who wasn't even employed by a club at the time.
Hibs get a raw deal from the press compared to other clubs.imo.
And why have the two yams not been pulled up in front of the beaks at the SFA for there drug use, and when will they get punished for a fan attacking i am Neil Lennon at the PBS, as far as i know they didn't even get punished the last time fans came on to the pitch to attack Riordan.
So i dont think our reputation is the worse in Scotland than any other team in it, as i said for some reason wee get a raw deal from the press.

Rant over. :greengrin

scoopyboy
11-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I would disagree with this bit, the yams are probaly worse than us, players caught taking class A drugs and charged, player waiting to go to trial on for being a perv, fire arms charges for Wallace, Nade blagging cars, there is probaly more.
It just seems that when its a Hibs player doing something wrong it gets splattered all over the front pages of the press, it looks like the press have it in for Hibs and even the smallest thing the press make a big deal of it.
When the EEN ran the story about players being caught with drugs up town a few weeks ago it was all about ex Hibs player GOC being caught, Black and the other lad who are employed by yams club hardly got a mention, it was all about GOC who wasn't even employed by a club at the time.
And why have the two yams not been pulled up in front of the beaks at the SFA for there drug use, and when will they get punished for a fan attacking i am Neil Lennon at the PBS, as far as i know they didn't even get punished the last time fans came on to the pitch to attack Riordan.
So i dont think our reputation is the worse in Scotland than any other team in it, as i said for some reason wee get a raw deal from the press.

Off topic. You could do with emptying some items from your inbox, guv.

silverhibee
11-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Off topic. You could do with emptying some items from your inbox, guv.

:aok:

SRHibs
11-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Every club thinks the world is against them. In reality, there's no real football bias when it comes to Edinburgh newspapers.

Garry O'Connor ran away when the police saw him. Couple that with the fact that he's obviously a bigger name than Ian Black and the other Hearts player, and that explains why he was the main subject of that story.

silverhibee
11-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Every club thinks the world is against them. In reality, there's no real football bias when it comes to Edinburgh newspapers.

Garry O'Connor ran away when the police saw him. Couple that with the fact that he's obviously a bigger name than Ian Black and the other Hearts player, and that explains why he was the main subject of that story.

So an unemployed football player taking drugs, is bigger news than two players who are employed by yams football club taking drugs and been charged with possession of class A drug, that seems bias from the Edinburgh newspapers, even more so that the two yams will get banned from football for there stupidity.
There's was the bigger story no doubt about it, but the EEN showed there bias by making the big story about an unemployed ex Hibs player. :aok:

SRHibs
11-06-2011, 03:39 PM
So an unemployed football player taking drugs, is bigger news than two players who are employed by yams football club taking drugs and been charged with possession of class A drug, that seems bias from the Edinburgh newspapers, even more so that the two yams will get banned from football for there stupidity.
There's was the bigger story no doubt about it, but the EEN showed there bias by making the big story about an unemployed ex Hibs player. :aok:

Again, you're just looking for bias where there is none.

The headline of the story is "Scotland star O'Connor in 'coke bust'". Hibs were mentioned the grand total of ONE time, presumably because we are the only Scottish club he's actually played for. So it kind of makes sense to mention us, no?

Not to mention, O'Connor ran and was caught - this was known for a fact. In regards to the Hearts players, they were ALLEGEDLY caught with the substance. Hardly grounds for a main story, is it?

No bias.

This post was in regards to the story in the Sun by the way, as that's the only one I'd seen. I just searched for the Evening News one, and fair enough, it does mention Hibs in the title. Again, obviously because it's an Edinburgh based paper and Hibs are a club from Edinburgh. The arrest of the Hearts players was only alleged, so I'm assuming that's why a story about that incident wasn't issued.

Hibs On Tour
11-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Edit: Your point about Collins was primarily down to Collins mis-managing the situation, if other rumours are to be believed. Again, if an manager manages their players properly, a lot of problems can be averted or dealt with quickly and said players have no need to go above their head...

Fixed that for you... :greengrin

<where's the 'not trying to open up that whole can of worms again' smiley?>

sesoim
11-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't know what McDonald is like personality wise, but I think a good manager can suss a guy out by talking to him a few times. Alex Ferguson doesn't necessarily sign (or play) the best players, but he is good at putting a team together that can play as a team. His players seem to be the type that will listen and work hard.

What I'm trying to say is Hibs can't afford to sign players with bad attitudes as it does nothing for team spirit. We have a chance to start a fresh now.

Dashing Bob S
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM

The current dross we have might be drink and drugs free, but they certainly encourage, through their mind-numbing performances, the fan base to take refuge in such substances.