PDA

View Full Version : Underappreciated Hibees

Baader
09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Interested to hear who people think were underappreciated performers for us. Guys who perhaps didn't get as much credit as they deserved whilst playing for the Cabbage - maybe guys who were missed once gone. Or just someone you thought was better than everyone else made out.

Always thought Lovell was badly missed once he moved on.

Gary Smith was a decent pro who done a really good job for us without much fuss.

Psycho Pat, although popular, I think was a better player for us than he got credit for.

easty
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Brewster

fat freddy
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
grant brebner...daniel anderson

hibsbollah
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Did anyone else rate Derek Collins? Always thought he was a decent fullback who never gets mentioned anymore...

Lofarl
09-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Christian Nade :wink:

.Sean.
09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Lovell.

Fergus52
09-06-2011, 03:06 PM
noubissie and clayton donaldson

basehibby
09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Interested to hear who people think were underappreciated performers for us. Guys who perhaps didn't get as much credit as they deserved whilst playing for the Cabbage - maybe guys who were missed once gone. Or just someone you thought was better than everyone else made out.

Always thought Lovell was badly missed once he moved on.

Gary Smith was a decent pro who done a really good job for us without much fuss.

Psycho Pat, although popular, I think was a better player for us than he got credit for.

:agree: Defo agree - especially about Lovell - a player who some sphinctorous idiots in the Hibs support chose to give pelters - even though as a striker playing at right back he was so far out of position as to be playing in the next solar system. Nevertheless, a natural leader, he applied himself tirelessly, scored goals and was definately missed when he left - notably when he was captaining the other side when we lost the League Cup Final to Livy.

Other Hibs players who have been underappreciated....

Joe Tortolano - OK he could be a bombscare, but he had an oh so sweet left foot which yielded many assists which his detractors always seemed to conveniently forget when they were cruelly ripping the pash out of him.

Colin Nish - OK certainly no super star but certainly a decent SPL striker who had a decent start to his career at Hibs with a fairly good return of goals and assists before having the confidence slowly battered out of him by the same breed of gobsheights who couldn't help but foam in the mouth over the above pair daring to be human.

Lets face it - we have a strong tradition at Hibs of destroying players who fail to live up to our lofty expectations - it's a regretable trait which I don't see changing any time soon :rolleyes:

Fergus52
09-06-2011, 03:20 PM
:agree: Defo agree - especially about Lovell - a player who some sphinctorous idiots in the Hibs support chose to give pelters - even though as a striker playing at right back he was so far out of position as to be playing in the next solar system. Nevertheless, a natural leader, he applied himself tirelessly, scored goals and was definately missed when he left - notably when he was captaining the other side when we lost the League Cup Final to Livy.

Joe Tortolano - OK he could be a bombscare, but he had an oh so sweet left foot which yielded many assists which his detractors always seemed to conveniently forget when they were cruelly ripping the pash out of him.

Colin Nish - OK certainly no super star but certainly a decent SPL striker who had a decent start to his career at Hibs with a fairly good return of goals and assists before having the confidence slowly battered out of him by the same breed of gobsheights who couldn't help but foam in the mouth over the above pair daring to be human.

Lets face it - we have a strong tradition at Hibs of destroying players who fail to live up to our lofty expectations - it's a regretable trait which I don't see changing any time soon :rolleyes:

agree completely

dangermouse
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM

I was going to say super Joe but thought better of it as I reckoned I'd get shot down in flames. On his game, he was amazing, other days you had to have the whole team standing on each others shoulders to get on the end of his crosses. :greengrin

easty
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
:

agree completely

:confused: Bolt. He played *****...a lot. Aye he has a good SPL record (fair play to him for that) and, aye, he played well for us occasionaly. But he has played like a dumpling for a too long now.

Colin Nish apologists who want to blame every single one of the fans who called him ***** for him actually failing, before looking at the actual problem do my head in. Nothing to do with big poor Colin at all. What a load of pish.

Rant over.

basehibby
09-06-2011, 03:42 PM
:confused: Bolt. He played *****...a lot. Aye he has a good SPL record (fair play to him for that) and, aye, he played well for us occasionaly. But he has played like a dumpling for a too long now.

Colin Nish apologists who want to blame every single one of the fans who called him ***** for him actually failing, before looking at the actual problem do my head in. Nothing to do with big poor Colin at all. What a load of pish.

Rant over.

I reciprocate - Nish's form steadilly dropped over the course of his time at ER - if you think that had nothing to do with home fans shouting abuse at him then you must have your head right up your erse!

Fergus52
09-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I reciprocate - Nish's form steadilly dropped over the course of his time at ER - if you think that had nothing to do with home fans shouting abuse at him then you must have your head right up your erse!
:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I always thought Paul Fenwick was a better player than most gave him credit for.

HibbyAndy
09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
I always thought Paul Fenwick was a better player than most gave him credit for.

Me tae :agree:

Ed De Gramo
09-06-2011, 06:11 PM

This :agree:

iwasthere1972
09-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Our last captain to hold aloft the Scottish Cup. He hardly gets a mention.

sixtwo
09-06-2011, 06:16 PM
john o'neill

The_Sauz
09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Tam Smith (the fullback who had to retire through Injury) :agree:

Dunbar Hibee
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Paul Dalgleish.

seanraff07
09-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Ulrik Laursen

CK_HFC
09-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Antonio Murray, always thought he could have been a player for us if it wasnt for injury.

SmokieJoe
09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
The one and only...Alan Sneddon:agree:

DH1875
09-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Chris Killen

Fritz
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Graham Mitchell and Tommy McIntyre. Always thought they were solid, if unspectacular. Both played in a cup-winning Hibs team - not as if we have that many of them kicking about!

jdships
09-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Tommy Preston
Joe Tortolano
Stevie Cowan
Paul Fenwick

:flag:

villager
09-06-2011, 09:10 PM
darren jackson. signed in his prime, played well for the club in an attractive side, sold on for a bundle. if only they could all work out so well.

Gus
09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Chris hogg

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Ulrik Laursen

Dinnae think i've ever heard any Hibbies saying he was anything but good for us.

Barman Stanton
09-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Steven Fletcher. Don't think a lot of people realised just how good he was as he was in the team so young. Always thought he was potentially the best of that team.

Simpson
09-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Craig Rocastle :wink:

Sodje_18
09-06-2011, 10:22 PM

:top marks
He hasn't half been unfairly treated by some so called hibs supporters, one word to describe him - Scapegoat

MUPPET
10-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Brian Hamilton

hibee81
10-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Craig Rocastle :wink:

Was quality IMO very hard working and rarely gave anything away. Victor palsson reminds me a wee bit of Rocastle.

I still think Thicot has had a hard time of it at hibs, has never been given a sustained period of game time in which to show what he's got and never played in his natural position. When played centre half against the old firm last season i think it was he was a different class and looked as comfertable as hell. IMO

easty
10-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Aye that's right he couldnae win a header because he was upset we were calling him *****. It's hard to concentrate on playing well when you're crying inside.

basehibby
10-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Aye that's right he couldnae win a header because he was upset we were calling him *****. It's hard to concentrate on playing well when you're crying inside.

He couldnae win a header when he first joined so nothing changed there - he COULD play some nice through balls and score some nice goals though - somehow that seemed to dry up as time went by - couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with a load of nob ends shouting abuse at him every week though could it?!? Perish the thought :rolleyes:

easty
10-06-2011, 10:32 AM
He couldnae win a header when he first joined so nothing changed there - he COULD play some nice through balls and score some nice goals though - somehow that seemed to dry up as time went by - couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with a load of nob ends shouting abuse at him every week though could it?!? Perish the thought :rolleyes:

I'm more than happy to concede that for some players things just dont work out at some teams (Rankin for example), however I'm not buying into the theory that Nish started to be ***** because the fans got on his back. That's the bulls toilet mess.

basehibby
10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm more than happy to concede that for some players things just dont work out at some teams (Rankin for example), however I'm not buying into the theory that Nish started to be ***** because the fans got on his back. That's the bulls toilet mess.

It's a pretty simple line of logic to follow - fans get on player's back - player gets tense - form suffers. It is also a pretty commonly quoted concept amongst professional footballers - "we'll go there and get stuck in and we'll see how they cope when their fans start getting on their backs". Or on the other side of the coin "the fans were brilliant - like a 12th man".

I would take the word of the pros who play football for a living if they say that crowd backing or the opposite CAN make a difference - but presumably you know better...

easty
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
It's a pretty simple line of logic to follow - fans get on player's back - player gets tense - form suffers. It is also a pretty commonly quoted concept amongst professional footballers - "we'll go there and get stuck in and we'll see how they cope when their fans start getting on their backs". Or on the other side of the coin "the fans were brilliant - like a 12th man".

I would take the word of the pros who play football for a living if they say that crowd backing or the opposite CAN make a difference - but presumably you know better...

I do know better.

basehibby
10-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I do know better.

So do I and yer talking pash

The_Exile
10-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Re: Steven Fletcher, I don't think he was the most talented of that bunch but he had the best attitude.

Yannick Zambernardi, underrated to the max, who doesn't miss those raking 80 yard cross field passes?

johnrebus
10-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Johnny Graham

heretoday
10-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Tony Rougier - lazy old thing but was always likely to do something interesting with the ball!

Fergus52
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM

then you're just stupid?

weecounty hibby
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Ally McLeod, Alan Sneddon, Joe T, Pat McGinley, Brian Hamilton, Gordon Rae, Brian Rice, Ralph Callaghan

easty
10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
then you're just stupid?

Insert slow hand clapping smilie.

Good one.

SmokieJoe
11-06-2011, 12:57 AM
darren jackson. signed in his prime, played well for the club in an attractive side, sold on for a bundle. if only they could all work out so well.
Michael O'Neil anyone?

Was sad to see hime leave

SmokieJoe
11-06-2011, 01:02 AM

Sorry you missed, getting paid to play, lacking passion for his alleged boyhood club, and oh eh, is he not the third chuckle brother? i like Big Nish, but lets face it only Laurel and Hardy fell over more in a 90 min period.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Did anyone else rate Derek Collins? Always thought he was a decent fullback who never gets mentioned anymore...

:agree:

Not the biggest but certainly more than made up for it in other areas.

Think he was pretty much unappreciated.

Franck Stanton
11-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Brian Hamilton

This has to be tongue-in-cheek doesn't it ? Brian Hamilton was so bad he wouldn't even have got a game with us last season - and we had more imposters pretending to be footballers than at any time in our history. Remember when he left to go to the Pbs he slated us, said he would rather lick stamps in his sisters post office rather than play for Hibs, few years later when he was without club gave a newspaper interview saying he dreamt of returning to Hibs, strangely enough the club [thankfully] didn't take him up on it. Def a tit of the first order IMO

Love the Green
11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
the fans

"keep the faith"

Hibrandenburg
11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Benny Brazil.

Greentinted
11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Stuart Lovell always seemed to get on with it and tended to be overshadowed by the more mercurial talents during Eck's tenure.

Johnny_Leith
11-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Stephen Glass was always a good, sharp, performer. Scored the odd cracker. Even shone during a stint at left back.

All bad puns aside, he was an underappreciated Hibee.

erin go bragh
12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Willie irvine [ well for one season ] pretty sure we knocked back 200.000 from aberdeen early 80s , the season after we wouldnt have got £50
ggtth