PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Alistair Stevenson (May Or May Not Be) The New Assistant Manager

CallumLaidlaw
09-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Alistair Stevenson

silverhibee
09-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Alistair Stevenson

Hope CC had a say in this one. :wink: :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
09-06-2011, 01:40 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13715007.stm

Captain Trips
09-06-2011, 01:43 PM
If anyone knows who is ready to come into first team action it is him, good move.

Dibben
09-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Cheap option eh... :wink:

:greengrin

basehibby
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Alistair Stevenson

Cynics would say that this is yet another cheap option - being a brazen optimist though I will congratulate CC on his wise choice and Stevenson on his deserved promotion. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
How have the BBC been able to announce something like this before the club's official website? :confused:

Golden Bear
09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Alistair Stevenson

I wonder if his present post as Head of the youth academy will be filled or will Rod see it a chance to make a saving on the wage bill?

Or maybe Gareth Evans will also receive a promotion?

Saorsa
09-06-2011, 01:48 PM
How have the BBC been able to announce something like this before the club's official website? :confused:That's probably the last place tae look for anything.

R'Albin
09-06-2011, 01:50 PM
That's probably the last place tae look for anything.

:agree: still hasn't mentioned Miller leaving?:confused:

poolman
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
How have the BBC been able to announce something like this before the club's official website? :confused:

July before fishy site puts it up :agree:

GloryGlory
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I wonder if his present post as Head of the youth academy will be filled or will Rod see it a chance to make a saving on the wage bill?

Or maybe Gareth Evans will also receive a promotion?

Re Gareth Evans, as reserve coach won't he be feeling a bit overlooked in the promotion stakes?

JimBHibees
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
First impression of this is that of a disappointing appointment in that personally thought it would be beneficial for CC to bring in someone ouwith the club with a neutral view who could support him in changing the culture atmosphere of the place. Dont know the guy at all and he has obviously been very successful with teh under 19s and maybe this represents a natural progression for him however would have liked someone that CC knew prior to his time at Hibs though there are obvious economic considerations in that move especially if that person was based in England at the moment.

Hope it works out well for the guy and Hibs.

Baldy Foghorn
09-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Alistair Stevenson

I had a sneaky feeling we would appoint an already in situ coach....:devil:

GordonHFC
09-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Does this option free up more money for the playing side ?

silverhibee
09-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Alistair Stevenson

Thats not the big news wee are waiting to hear about, where is the two new strikers that CC was close to signing that he mentioned last week.

Maybe a place been made in the coaching staff for Ian Murray.

dangermouse
09-06-2011, 02:02 PM

When did Kenny Miller leave? PETRIE :grr::grr::grr:

R'Albin
09-06-2011, 02:03 PM

matty_f
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Alistair's a great guy and a very good coach/manager. CC could do a lot worse imho.

steakbake
09-06-2011, 02:09 PM
If anyone knows who is ready to come into first team action it is him, good move.

I'm happy with this. I really do not know too much about him but I think by all accounts, we can be relatively pleased with the way things have gone at u-19 level for a while and the kinds of players we are producing there. Why not keep it in house?

I heard we've missed out on Jol, Ancellotti. Mark Hughes is looking for a job as well...

MyJo
09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
i wonder if this is an appointment based on the young guys at the club contributing a lot more to first team matters while we operate with a smaller squad?

stevenson has done really well with the u19's but the step up to the first team seems too big for the players when it happens so having a well kent face about first team will help these young guys over the next 2 or 3 years as they are called upon when injuries and suspensions kick in etc

aberhibsfc
09-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Maybe, but he's a darn fine coach.

Saorsa
09-06-2011, 02:21 PM

:greengrinso it's a management duo of CC + C&C :greengrin

ozzie
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
i like evans but i think stevenson has more coaching experience. i'm happy with the appointment.

Spike Mandela
09-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Calderwood has been here 8 months maybe he rates the guy.

Personally don't care who assistant manager is as long as he has the coaching basics.

Nevi1875
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Do you think this means alot of younger one's will get more opportunity's this year ?

The Sea-gull
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Has CC not got any mates?

Is that why he hasn't brought in his "own" man. This is the second chance he has had to do it.

Not really bothered who the no 2 is but it might have been good if CC could have brought in someone fresh from outside the club.

Appreciate DA was this but I mean someone CC actually knows.

Maybe CC's mates are all people like Sherringham who have made so much cash that the prospect of coming to Hibs in any capacity is of no interest.

IWasThere2016
09-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Alistair's a great guy and a very good coach/manager. CC could do a lot worse imho.

:agree: Good move IMO.

Thats not the big news wee are waiting to hear about, where is the two new strikers that CC was close to signing that he mentioned last week.

Maybe a place been made in the coaching staff for Ian Murray.

:aok:

frazeHFC
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Very pleased with this. :thumbsup: He knows the younger players well and can help blood them into the first team. I just hope we have a good replacement for his original role as he has done a fantastic job. :aok:

HibsMax
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM

I know! That, IMO, is a total PR disaster. Yes, I'm exaggerating. :wink:. But I still think it's really poor show when the BBC can report on an appointment quicker than we can get it on our own website. All they need to do is have a BREAKING NEWS frame off to one side of the main page with the announcement. No pomp and circumstance, just the facts.

silverhibee
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Very pleased with this. :thumbsup: He knows the younger players well and can help blood them into the first team. I just hope we have a good replacement for his original role as he has done a fantastic job. :aok:

:agree:

J-C
09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Good appointment, he already knows his whereabouts at ER, also will be well known to all the players. News I've got is Murray will be doing his badges sometime this year, his hip problems are well known and a move to maybe the youth coach would be a good move on Hibs part.

LancashireHibby
09-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Given what I would say is our excellent record in bringing youth players, it's definitely a common sense appointment to smooth the transition from under 19's to the first team.

Jim44
09-06-2011, 03:09 PM

I suppose they're not effectively obliged to mention Miller's move as he has nothing to do with Hibs now.

Sir David Gray
09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I suppose they're not effectively obliged to mention Miller's move as he has nothing to do with Hibs now.

I know that, you know that and every Hibs fan in the world knows that.

But according to the Hibs website, he's still a Hibs player.

As are Thomas Flynn, Steven Thicot, Valdas Trakys, Colin Nish and Darryl Duffy, despite the club stating in April that all these players would be leaving the club at the end of the season.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/PlayerProfileIndex/0,,10290,00.html

Hibs On Tour
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Good appointment from where I sit.

Been at the club for a good long while now and knows it inside out. Obviously has been a great success on the youth side and is a good guy to boot - met him a few times when my old company were youth sponsors. As others have said, it may well be an appointment with one eye on assisting the transition from youth team to first team as it is a very large jump [particularly without the old reserve league]. Be interesting to see if he retains any day-to-day involvement with the youth side or if he'll be solely focusing on the first team squad. Also be interesting [as others have queried] as to what the effect will be on the youth set-up with the guys there...

For me, appointments from within where you have people who fit the bill are a good thing - never seemed to do Liverpool any harm back when they were trouncing the rest of Europe in the 70's/80's did it?

jdships
09-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Has CC not got any mates?

Is that why he hasn't brought in his "own" man. This is the second chance he has had to do it.

Not really bothered who the no 2 is but it might have been good if CC could have brought in someone fresh from outside the club.

Appreciate DA was this but I mean someone CC actually knows.

Maybe CC's mates are all people like Sherringham who have made so much cash that the prospect of coming to Hibs in any capacity is of no interest.

Oh dear more negativity :wink:
Has CC not had any say in who comes in ?
I can't give an answer to that any more than you can with " Has CC not got any mates? "
Bringing in someone from " outside" has no more guarantees than an internal appointment
For goodness sake give the club some credit :rolleyes:
They have appointed someone who has an indepth knowledge of the players and a proven track record as a coach.
He is an interesting man to speak/listen to and has been/is very much part of Hibernian FC for many years
Good luck to him and CC for the nest few seasons :thumbsup:

:flag::flag::flag:

500miles
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
A team like Hibs should always be looking to the youth system for progress. Stevenson will know the in's and out's of our youth system, and this will give him a bigger say in who is ready and who is not. To be honest, neither Calderwood or Stevenson come across as guys who will boot *****, but then again, perhaps that's not the way to deal with the young, exciting team we would like to build.

I would also like to add that, under Stevenson, the u19s were an enjoyable side to watch.

CallumLaidlaw
09-06-2011, 03:32 PM

But he was, and was quite high profile.

Dunfermline managed it with Calum Woods - http://www.dafc.co.uk/articles/20110608/woods-to-huddersfield_2207955_2371384

Golden Bear
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
A team like Hibs should always be looking to the youth system for progress. Stevenson will know the in's and out's of our youth system, and this will give him a bigger say in who is ready and who is not. To be honest, neither Calderwood or Stevenson come across as guys who will boot *****, but then again, perhaps that's not the way to deal with the young, exciting team we would like to build.

I would also like to add that, under Stevenson, the u19s were an enjoyable side to watch.

I've only seen the under 19's games on Hibs TV, but their style of play was pleasing to the eye.

number9dream
09-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Alistair Stevenson is NOT the new assistant manager at ER.

A blunder from the BEEB - they've changed the story now and taken it off their main indexes.

You can still see it on the Hibs page. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13715007.stm

Shoddy. However, maybe Rod will have seen the positive reaction on here and will make an announcement tomorrow...

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Decent appointment IMO. We can take a view point on how this looks to others and even if we care about that, but I can't help but think that the day after Adams went back to his family, it would have been a nice touch to see a " Hibs act quickly" story announcing that this move had been made.

JimBHibees
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM

A blunder from the BEEB - they've changed the story now and taken it off their main indexes.

You can still see it on the Hibs page. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13715007.stm

Shoddy. However, maybe Rod will have seen the positive reaction on here and will make an announcement tomorrow...

Maybe thats why it wasnt on the official site, dear oh dear.

Golden Bear
09-06-2011, 04:14 PM

The Beeb change their headline stories frequently during the day.

I can't see anything to suggest that they published the wrong information and have therefore retracted the story.

Unless you know differently of course?

:confused:

number9dream
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
The wording of the story is now entirely different.

You are right - no retraction or apology - but they have made an almighty horlicks of the story, or rather non-story...

Beefster
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
For an organisation with the resources that the BBC has, their reporting is appalling at times.

BEEJ
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM

So his appointment as 'first team coach' has now been made permanent.

But he's not CC's No. 2? :confused:

Fife-Hibee
09-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Its Alex miller he's oan aboot !:rolleyes:

Golden Bear
09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Forth 2 have just announced that Alistair Stevenson has been appointed as Assistant 1st team Coach.

I can only presume that this will be the same position as Assistant Manager.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Simples, Hibs PR is zero and the fans are always last to hear about anything on the site

RIP
09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Forth 2 have just announced that Alistair Stevenson has been appointed as Assistant 1st team Coach.

I can only presume that this will be the same position as Assistant Manager.

I don't think we can assume anything until it's announced by Hibs. Personally I'd be really pleased if everything I've heard about Stevenson is true

I forecast an internal appointment when Adams left. I also said it would cut coaching costs and possibly (but possibly not) free up money for a player.

If I were a betting man I'd say Colin gets an assistant in the dugout who he trusts more than DA and AS gets a role at a lower salary level to his predecessor

A first coup for Scott Lindsay in his new role as replacement for Rod as Director of Football Operations :wink:

Twiglet
09-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Website update.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110609/club-update_2262950_2374123.

Doesn't look like he's assistant manager here, it more of a coaching role. Looks like we're still to appoint the assistant manager.

thebakerboy
09-06-2011, 07:05 PM
What is a" first team development coach " this is a new position for me , but not Assistant Manager.

MyJo
09-06-2011, 07:37 PM
What is a" first team development coach " this is a new position for me , but not Assistant Manager.

He will be doing the job of a coach in training the players that are in the first team but he will also be responsible for our homegrown youth players making the step up to first team standard so the "conveyer belt of talent" isnt wasted by having a first team squad of 30 non-entities that stop any young players getting a shot at the first team.

Probably prompted by the shocking demise of the double winning u19 squad who hardly got a sniff of first team football thanks to players like Rankin, Nish, Hart, Thicot etc being used ahead of them.

Future17
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Whatever his role is, at the relevant time, there's always the consideration of whether a club has a candidate within its staff to be the next manager.

When Calderwood goes, which I think will happen one way or another in the next 18 months, Stevenson could be the man to replace him.

Good with youth, his team's play good football and he has already coached a Hibs side to a league and cup double.

It might be unfair to say, but what from I've seen/heard/read, Stevenson got that Hibs Under-19 team to play far beyond the sum of its parts, which is a key ability for any Hibernian manager.

The Sea-gull
10-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Oh dear more negativity :wink:
Has CC not had any say in who comes in ?
I can't give an answer to that any more than you can with " Has CC not got any mates? "
Bringing in someone from " outside" has no more guarantees than an internal appointment
For goodness sake give the club some credit :rolleyes:
They have appointed someone who has an indepth knowledge of the players and a proven track record as a coach.
He is an interesting man to speak/listen to and has been/is very much part of Hibernian FC for many years
Good luck to him and CC for the nest few seasons :thumbsup:

:flag::flag::flag:

My comment about him not having any mates was meant to be tongue in cheek.

You're right, i don't know how much input CC has had in choosing his back room staff.

It is a bit strange though that, after two opportunities, he hasn't brought a trusted colleague in.

Yes, maybe he was behind DA's appointment and is impressed with AS, who knows.

Anyway sounds like there could still be scope for an assistant manager as it appears that this won't be the role Stevenson is taking. Or maybe assistant first team coach is basically the same as assistant manager.

Baker9
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
"Hibernian last night appointed Alistair Stevenson as first team coach to assist manager......"
Not seen it elsewhere or on the official site but Daily mail think it is definite. If it is the case then well done to a good bloke.

jdships
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
My comment about him not having any mates was meant to be tongue in cheek.

You're right, i don't know how much input CC has had in choosing his back room staff.

It is a bit strange though that, after two opportunities, he hasn't brought a trusted colleague in.

Yes, maybe he was behind DA's appointment and is impressed with AS, who knows.

Anyway sounds like there could still be scope for an assistant manager as it appears that this won't be the role Stevenson is taking. Or maybe assistant first team coach is basically the same as assistant manager.

Given the different takes on this appointment think you are spot on :thumbsup:

GreenPJ
10-06-2011, 12:19 PM
CC has not appointed an assistant as he is not sure himself if he is staying subject to the purse strings being opened up.

Stevenson and Evans would be kept even if there is a change in management to provide stability.

:devil:

jdships
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
CC has not appointed an assistant as he is not sure himself if he is staying subject to the purse strings being opened up.

Stevenson and Evans would be kept even if there is a change in management to provide stability.

And your source is ?
Could it be "Greggs"
:wink::greengrin:aok:

GreenPJ
10-06-2011, 12:31 PM
And your source is ?
Could it be "Greggs"
:wink::greengrin:aok:

Chateauneuf du pape 2008

jdships
10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Chateauneuf du pape 2008

Could I please have a couple of bottles ?
On appro of course !!
:wink::greengrin

GreenPJ
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Could I please have a couple of bottles ?
On appro of course !!
:wink::greengrin

In the post

ecosse
12-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Alistair Stevenson has been appointed first-team coach at Hibernian and will assist manager Colin Calderwood next season.
Stevenson has been working as head youth academy coach since 2003 and guided the Under-19s side to the league and cup double in 2009.
Stevenson also took temporary charge of the club with coach Gareth Evans (http://topics.skysports.com/Gareth+Evans/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif when John Hughes (http://topics.skysports.com/John+Hughes/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif was sacked in October 2010, overseeing a victory against Kilmarnock. (http://topics.skysports.com/kilmarnock/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif
Previous incumbent Derek Adams left Easter Road after a six-month spell to return as manager of Ross County (http://topics.skysports.com/Ross+County/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif at the tail end of last season.

stokesmessiah
12-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Alistair Stevenson has been appointed first-team coach at Hibernian and will assist manager Colin Calderwood next season.
Stevenson has been working as head youth academy coach since 2003 and guided the Under-19s side to the league and cup double in 2009.
Stevenson also took temporary charge of the club with coach Gareth Evans (http://topics.skysports.com/Gareth+Evans/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif when John Hughes (http://topics.skysports.com/John+Hughes/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif was sacked in October 2010, overseeing a victory against Kilmarnock. (http://topics.skysports.com/kilmarnock/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif
Previous incumbent Derek Adams left Easter Road after a six-month spell to return as manager of Ross County (http://topics.skysports.com/Ross+County/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif at the tail end of last season.

Is there a point to this??? :confused:

scott7_0(Prague)
12-06-2011, 07:58 AM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?211389-Alistair-Stevenson-(May-Or-May-Not-Be)-The-New-Assistant-Manager&p=2824531#post2824531

Saorsa
12-06-2011, 08:02 AM
well you learn something new every day :rolleyes:

moredun
12-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Yeah right mate
What bollkoks
Hibs hire new coach

Think this contradicts you completely