PDA

View Full Version : NHC 70 Million.....

CB_NO3
08-06-2011, 03:18 PM
.... gets you Jordan Henderson, Andy Carroll and Phil Jones these days. The football market in England has went crazy. I remember 70 million could buy you Zidane and Figo about 10 years ago.

15 million for Phil Jones, a 19 year old lad with one seasons experience is mad. I know 15 million to Man Utd is the equivalent of us spending 75k on a 19 year old but its still crazy money.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Guardiola will struggle to get to sleep tonight!

heretoday
08-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Jones is a solid player but hardly outstanding. He'll be on the bench most of the time anyway, like Johnny Evans. Then he'll go to Villa or whatever.

I don't understand Liverpool shelling out for Henderson. With Gerrard back I can't see a need for him.

Football is insane and the agents are in charge. It's a shame for all the great players who never made a bean from the game in the past. Somehow I don't see Jones or Henderson driving a cab in Manchester or restringing a tennis racket in the back of his own sports shop after retirement!

Yet they are just average to good players.

iwasthere1972
08-06-2011, 03:46 PM
.... gets you Jordan Henderson, Andy Carroll and Phil Jones these days. The football market in England has went crazy. I remember 70 million could buy you Zidane and Figo about 10 years ago.

15 million for Phil Jones, a 19 year old lad with one seasons experience is mad. I know 15 million to Man Utd is the equivalent of us spending 75k on a 19 year old but its still crazy money.

Will he walk straight into the team? very much doubt it. Absolutely crazy money to spend on a lad with very little EPL experience and not even an England full international yet. Saying that Sir Alex obviously sees something in him and maybe one for the future. Even Arsenal were interested in him but I couldn't see Arsene Wenger spending that much on one player.

Saw your thread title and thought it was another thread about the Yams debt.

aberhibsfc
08-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Jones is a solid player but hardly outstanding. He'll be on the bench most of the time anyway, like Johnny Evans. Then he'll go to Villa or whatever.

I don't understand Liverpool shelling out for Henderson. With Gerrard back I can't see a need for him.

Football is insane and the agents are in charge. It's a shame for all the great players who never made a bean from the game in the past. Somehow I don't see Jones or Henderson driving a cab in Manchester or restringing a tennis racket in the back of his own sports shop after retirement!

:top marks

Many I time I have looked back at the likes of Keith Wright and wondered in today's terms, how much would he be worth. If he was playing today he would have made a fortune in the Championship and I believe good enough to survive in the top English tier. He was always going to play for us, well £500k helped prize him from Dundee. Whilst I am sure he would have been paid fairish at ER given the SKY TV money, I never got the impression other than his love of the game or his love of Hibs. There was another thread about money over football. I think in a lot of instances players will move for money but when they reach the pinnacle eg Man Utd, in most instances loyalty comes into playt more, maybe the cynic would say that's because any increase would be incremental anyway unless it was Real or Man City. Doubt any of the British players would leave Man utd for Real or Man City, unless Man Utd wanted to move them on.

All that said, I am very proud to have had Keith, Keith, Keith on our books and in the rank of fans. I am sure he could have made a fortune in todays money, but always felt he was one of these guys that would make sacrifices to be at ER.

Imagine what a Baker would have been worth.

Albion Hibs
08-06-2011, 04:27 PM
If 15m is like us spending 75k as someone said above, then what is the big deal if they do? Also what would be the big deal if he did sit on a bench for two seasons.

I would think them spending "their 75k" now and having him on their bench is better than him being on a pitch somewhere else then maybe costing them £2.50 (if my maths is right) in a few years or going to a rival.

It is likely that even if he ends up being bang average, he would still get a move from liverpool for £6-£8m or say £1.25!

Sir David Gray
08-06-2011, 04:41 PM
It's an absolutely staggering amount of money to spend on players who are of a decent standard but I certainly wouldn't have thought that they are of a required standard for a team like Man Utd who are looking to win the title every year.

To pay £17 million for a 19 year old Blackburn player, who has played less than 40 first team matches in his career almost defies belief.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I noticed also that Brighton and HA who last season and for the last few seasons have been playing in the middle of a running track, went out and spent one million pounds on a player and gave him a three year contract before they have even kicked a ball in the Championship.

ScottB
08-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Because he's injury prone and getting on in years?

English players are over priced because there is so few genuinely good ones. I can totally see why most of the clubs look abroad for talent!

hibsbollah
08-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Surprised they didnt go for Samba instead. He might end up at Arsenal now, which would sort out moanycoupon Wengers 'who to play with Vermaelan' problem.

TonyStokeprano
08-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Probably the same reason he signed ronaldo and smalling for 12mllion each, because other clubs are interested and he knows theyre gonna be top notch players.

With smalling jones and evans waiting in the wings they wont need to sign a centre half for a long time.

Fergie has previously admitted hes signed players earlier than he'd have liked to so that other clubs dont get them. He pushed the hernandez deal through because valencia were interested, he only had one good season in mexico.

iwasthere1972
08-06-2011, 05:13 PM
If 15m is like us spending 75k as someone said above, then what is the big deal if they do? Also what would be the big deal if he did sit on a bench for two seasons.

I would think them spending "their 75k" now and having him on their bench is better than him being on a pitch somewhere else then maybe costing them £2.50 (if my maths is right) in a few years or going to a rival.

It is likely that even if he ends up being bang average, he would still get a move from liverpool for £6-£8m or say £1.25!

:confused: As Louis Walsh would say "I don't get it"

Matty_Jack04
08-06-2011, 05:13 PM
i may be wrong here but isnt there about to be a new quota for homegrown players in a champs league/ europa league squad or it might be the new 25 man squad for the EPL that needs a certain amount of english players/british players

thats the kind of thing that drives the price up and why the 'big' clubs down there are fighting to get the most promising ones signed up fast, the likes of bolton everton and sunderland should be doing everything they can to play young lads throughout the year to tempt these guys into spending £20mill plus on what basically is a gamble and reap the rewards (if the money is re-invested wisely of course)

CB_NO3
08-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Its just staggering that this young lad will be a millionaire at the age of 20. Am guessing he will be on 20k a week with a huge signing on fee.

Alfred E Newman
08-06-2011, 07:31 PM
It makes you wonder what Andy Driver is worth. :greengrin

Albion Hibs
08-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Its just staggering that this young lad will be a millionaire at the age of 20. Am guessing he will be on 20k a week with a huge signing on fee.

Agreed, not many people will have that sort of dosh at that age, but like all players he will have been offered it as opposed to asked for it. I would have thought he would be on more than 20k a week if he is moving for 15m.

If anything it shows the downside of not having a crop of youngsters coming through Liverpools academy.

HibeeSince85
08-06-2011, 09:15 PM
£3m for Brown, Man Utd will rake in £12m for Wes Brown, O'Shea and Gibson.

Good business in my eyes.

The fees involved though are crazy I agree, but this is the Premiership remember.

Hibercelona
09-06-2011, 04:43 AM
It makes you wonder what Andy Driver is worth. :greengrin

Whats it not 3... err 4.... oh i mean 5,000,000 as stated by the mad one? :greengrin

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 06:28 AM

It equivalent to us spending £409k on a player. As a percentage of income that is.

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Agreed, not many people will have that sort of dosh at that age, but like all players he will have been offered it as opposed to asked for it. I would have thought he would be on more than 20k a week if he is moving for 15m.

If anything it shows the downside of not having a crop of youngsters coming through Liverpools academy.

40k a week and £16.5m apparently.

heretoday
09-06-2011, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=aberhibsfc;28e at ER.

Imagine what a Baker would have been worth.[/QUOTE]

More than Tevez and better looking too!

easty
09-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Surprised they didnt go for Samba instead. He might end up at Arsenal now, which would sort out moanycoupon Wengers 'who to play with Vermaelan' problem.

I don't rate that Samba at all. Seems like a slightly better Bobo Balde. He's clearly a beast of a man and good in the air, but he's turned far too easily, he's often well out of position and he always looks the player most likely to give away a pen with a Thicot style lunge.

I hope Arsenal sign him...:greengrin

hibsbollah
09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't rate that Samba at all. Seems like a slightly better Bobo Balde. He's clearly a beast of a man and good in the air, but he's turned far too easily, he's often well out of position and he always looks the player most likely to give away a pen with a Thicot style lunge.

I hope Arsenal sign him...:greengrin

I think Samba's outstanding. As a striker youre never quite sure whether he's going to clear the ball or just rip your arms off. Just the way a centre half should be :-)