PDA

View Full Version : Italy 0 Republic of Ireland 2

The Harp Awakes
07-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Some result.

Trapattoni is certainly doing well with them.

Streets ahead of Scotland in terms of players, results and Manager sadly.

H18sry
07-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Some result.

Trapattoni is certainly doing well with them.

Streets ahead of Scotland in terms of players, results and Manager sadly.

But they could only get a lucky 1-0 win against us at home when we were the better team:agree:

HH81
07-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Thier kit was quite smart too.

CB_NO3
07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Anyone know why it was played in Belgium?

The Harp Awakes
07-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Aye, would make a decent Hibs away top:whistle:

dhmf
07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Anyone know why it was played in Belgium?

Belgium has a large amount of Italian immigrants approx 250,000 apparently.

R'Albin
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Very:agree:

Aye, would make a decent Hibs away top:whistle:

Was thinking the same !

Danderhall Hibs
07-06-2011, 09:17 PM
But they could only get a lucky 1-0 win against us at home when we were the better team:agree:

:agree: If Kenny Miller sould score every now and again we'd have got at least a draw.

Frogga
07-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Totally agree. Don't think Ireland are any better than us - the only point I would agree on is that Trappatoni is a better manager than Levein although he does have about 30 years of extra experience of managing at the top level.

We have closed the gap on Ireland in recent years and were unlucky to lose to them on their own patch. Their current crop is due to lose the likes of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane over the next two major tournaments due to age, whereas we'll only likely lose Kenny Miller from our strongest XI in that time.

C'mon, let's not be so negative about what is surely our best Scotland team since France '98.

:saltireflag

steakbake
07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Totally agree. Don't think Ireland are any better than us - the only point I would agree on is that Trappatoni is a better manager than Levein although he does have about 30 years of extra experience of managing at the top level.

We have closed the gap on Ireland in recent years and were unlucky to lose to them on their own patch. Their current crop is due to lose the likes of Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane over the next two major tournaments due to age, whereas we'll only likely lose Kenny Miller from our strongest XI in that time.

C'mon, let's not be so negative about what is surely our best Scotland team since France '98.

I would agree with that. Its difficult to understate how important it is we qualify for 2012. Inspire a new generation of lads coming through and restore a bit of belief.

We have been under performing for years. The number of young Scots players playing outside of Scotland and the number of those excelling at their clubs in Scotland is definite hope for the future.

A good manager would be handy though... I once thought Potter might be alright but he lost his credibility for me in the Czech Rep match. We could have taken them if we'd shown a bit of adventure.

HibsMax
07-06-2011, 09:25 PM
You guys can blame me if you want. Scotland have NEVER qualified for a World Cup Finals since I left the country - I moved here in '98 and that was the last time (and, boy, do I have some crappy memories of that tournament!).

steakbake
07-06-2011, 09:31 PM
You guys can blame me if you want. Scotland have NEVER qualified for a World Cup Finals since I left the country - I moved here in '98 and that was the last time (and, boy, do I have some crappy memories of that tournament!).

The Norway game. Dreadful. The Morocco game was even worse.

My biggest kick in the guts was England 96. That hurt more for me. Goal difference meant we lost out progressing from the group stages. Sickener.

Dunbar Hibee
07-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Republic of Ireland are better than Scotland. FACT

davidw
07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I was in Dublin for the Carling Cup game the other week (and I very nearly stayed awake too) and, to be honest, was deeply unimpressed with Ireland. Interestingly, the Irish fans I spoke to appeared fairly unimpressed with Trapattoni - all sorts of stories in local media about him never being there, never watching players etc etc.

So although a firm detester of Levein (apart from anything else, it's entirely the fault of his overly-negative tactics against Lithuania and the Czech Republic that we're unlikely to qualify), I wouldn't get too caught up thinking Scotland are particularly worse than teams like Ireland.

Nando™
07-06-2011, 11:14 PM

Disagree, the team that was a bawhair away from knocking out one of the 2006 World Cup Finalists had a lot more guile and belief IMO. This was probably largely down to the manager(s?), who are of course part of the team.

The Harp
07-06-2011, 11:28 PM
The republic don't have a great footballing pedigree but have managed to get a level of success out of workman-like sides while we got little reward from the quality players we once had.
As for the present situation, I'd much rather have someone of the calibre of Trapattoni at the helm than what we're stuck with.:rolleyes:

HibsMax
07-06-2011, 11:36 PM

My biggest kick in the guts was England 96. That hurt more for me. Goal difference meant we lost out progressing from the group stages. Sickener.

I remember leaving work early to grab some beers and enjoy watching us hump the Moroccans. Ugh. 0-3 I think the end result was. Jim Leighton getting beat at his near post. I could check these facts but that would mean opening up old wounds so I will stick to my memory.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-06-2011, 06:24 AM
I was in Dublin for the Carling Cup game the other week (and I very nearly stayed awake too) and, to be honest, was deeply unimpressed with Ireland. Interestingly, the Irish fans I spoke to appeared fairly unimpressed with Trapattoni - all sorts of stories in local media about him never being there, never watching players etc etc.

So although a firm detester of Levein (apart from anything else, it's entirely the fault of his overly-negative tactics against Lithuania and the Czech Republic that we're unlikely to qualify), I wouldn't get too caught up thinking Scotland are particularly worse than teams like Ireland.

its all too easy for scotland to slip up badly against a minnow, best not forgetting that before we start thinking we're better than this nation or that. It is Scotland after all! Good result Eire though

H18sry
08-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Republic of Ireland are better than Scotland. FACT

What facts are you basing your fact on? FIFA rankings? If that's the case there are dozen's of teams better than Scotland, and on the same theory there are 9 teams better than us :wink:

Phil MaGlass
08-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Two wins against France, almost the beating of Italy at home beating Holland at Hampden,(try to forget the wednesday humping) lets try to look at the positives.
Ireland are not much better than us, we should have beat them in Dublin but alas never.

steakbake
08-06-2011, 07:24 AM
I remember leaving work early to grab some beers and enjoy watching us hump the Moroccans. Ugh. 0-3 I think the end result was. Jim Leighton getting beat at his near post. I could check these facts but that would mean opening up old wounds so I will stick to my memory.

It was 3-0. No idea of the scorers. I think it was probably an indication of the decline of Scottish international football.

However, on the positive side, I really think we are on the up. There are some great young players coming through. And some of them are even Hibs players - Potter won't like that!

Hibernia Na Eir
08-06-2011, 08:36 AM
What facts are you basing your fact on? FIFA rankings? If that's the case there are dozen's of teams better than Scotland, and on the same theory there are 9 teams better than us :wink:

ireland have smaller population than scotland. Qualified for more recent world cups. Might be a good starting point?

JimBHibees
08-06-2011, 08:52 AM
ireland have smaller population than scotland. Qualified for more recent world cups. Might be a good starting point?

That is history at the moment personally dont think there is anything between the teams. Dont think Ireland are as strong as they were and Scotland are getting better IMO with a good number of decent young players coming through though a couple of our most promising home grown players seem to have an identity defect and think they are Irish which probaby doesnt help.

Part/Time Supporter
08-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Why the plural? Ireland have only qualified for the 2002 World Cup in that period, and only twice before that (1990 and 1994). They have only qualified for one European Championship (1988).

Gus
08-06-2011, 11:51 AM

is that when England let a goal in on purpose :wink:

steakbake
08-06-2011, 12:30 PM
is that when England let a goal in on purpose :wink:

In all fairness, had McAllister scored the penalty...