PDA

View Full Version : Training - the right attitude...

3pm
06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
There have a few accusations on here over the years about players not applying themselves properly eg. Shooting off to the bookies in Tranent etc. Personally, I have no idea if this is right or not but I am sure someone will be able to clarify.

Anyway, with so many folk heading through the exit door and some other players left with a year to go on their current deals, is this the time to take a no nonsense approach and ensure that proper attitudes are instilled into the playing staff for ever more?

No pain, no gain and all that. Discuss!

The_Exile
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
More fool the man who tries, Collins had a go and look what happened to him........

Stevie Reid
06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
We were continually told on here that Antony Stokes caused no end of problems amongst the squad with his attitude and behaviour, but he scored 24 goals for us. Obviously the ideal would be a player with no such issues who could bang in 24 goals in a season, but we tend to have to deal with the Stokes types who are somewhat flawed, as all the dedicated, disciplined top performers are way out of our price range.

You would ideally have harmony within the squad but if it was a choice between a bad influence scoring 24 goals a season or a good influence who barely scored, I know what I would choose. However, I believe that the disruptive influences are all gone now, so hopefully we have a chance to instill fresh attitudes amongst the squad.

A noticable change in the desire and application of the players was one of the first things that I expected/hoped to see under CC, certainly by the time he had been in charge for 8 months, but it didn't materialise - though many have argued that there were mitigating circumstances outwith his control that have negatively affected his influence thus far.

However, with the turnover in the squad and the freedom Calderwood has had/will have to bring players in, if he cannot instill the kind of work ethic and dedication to the squad that we so need for next season, there is something seriously, seriously wrong.

Andy74
06-06-2011, 12:05 PM
If nothing changes now perhaps all this talk has just been plain wrong? We will see.

3pm
06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
More fool the man who tries, Collins had a go and look what happened to him........

I believe it would be easier this time. This is the chance, in my opinion, to get a professional attitude for years to come.

Baldy Foghorn
06-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I believe it would be easier this time. This is the chance, in my opinion, to get a professional attitude for years to come.

You will never change the culture in scotland, it is far to geared for players going out drinking, it seems to be the norm

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
You will never change the culture in scotland, it is far to geared for players going out drinking, it seems to be the norm

But it is not just Scotland that has a drinking culture, its a Brittish thing, there is just as many players will be out on the lash down England every weekend as here.

BEEJ
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
However, with the turnover in the squad and the freedom Calderwood has had/will have to bring players in, if he cannot instill the kind of work ethic and dedication to the squad that we so need for next season, there is something seriously, seriously wrong.
:agree: