PDA

View Full Version : Wot No Signings Yet? (The Chicken Licken Mega Thread)

zero-seven
05-06-2011, 10:56 PM
premier league clubs who are (seemingly) in a worse financial position than our club are signing players (decent ones ) and retaining their good players on long term contracts..what have we got ? Ivan Sproule !!! i know its early doors but jeez...the new season aint that far away and we must generate season ticket money...

i am still a faithful fan..but after last season we have to learn from it and get some decent signings pronto

SRHibs
05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
premier league clubs who are (seemingly) in a worse financial position than our club are signing players (decent ones ) and retaining their good players on long term contracts..what have we got ? Ivan Sproule !!! i know its early doors but jeez...the new season aint that far away and we must generate season ticket money...

i am still a faithful fan..but after last season we have to learn from it and get some decent signings pronto

Who cares if they're signing players? If it was players we had been in for, maybe we would have signed them. Christ, every single player that gets signed these days seems to be someone we've "missed out on".

I'm sure CC has got his targets and is doing his damnedest to get the best quality in he can afford. Let's not be pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic, eh?

ackeygraham
05-06-2011, 11:37 PM
unfortunately i agree....nothing to be getting excited about to make me want to rush to ER and get my ST, and i actually now stay next door to the place...

a good example is that steve thompson signed for a lesser team than us, im no manager but would be a decent signing. CC better know what he's doing as Hibs need a major make up job as last season was dire....

MyJo
05-06-2011, 11:48 PM
:bsod:

yekimevol
06-06-2011, 01:24 AM
i am looking forward to next season.
cause

when the team had something to play for. ie the top six they went on the 6 or 7 game winning streak that was rather nice. if we can rekindle that spirit when it matters again, this can be a good season.
I trust cc in the market. He brought in the likes of sodje, palsson, scott and towell, so he does have an eye for a player and he will bring in good players. People tell me that cc will be very negitive but the signing of a very fast winger does not mean boring to me.
we may not have the fast flowing attacking football of mowbray But we will have a soild team and i can handle that, as long as they put in a shift i can be proud of, cause thats all that i want to say im proud to be a hibee and knowing that the lads gave everything they had. e.g. the 2-2 game against dundee utd, last season around xmas. I was happy that day.
and i trust cc he is a man to have had success at basicly his three prevouse clubs, northhampton(promoted), forrest(promoted) and newcastle(promoted). He is a manager to have had success.

Ed De Gramo
06-06-2011, 02:03 AM
All I've heard recently is 'we're signing this player, we're signing that player'....blah de blah!

CC is currently on his holibobs :thumbsup:so lets wait till he's home and then judge him on who he brings in :agree::thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
06-06-2011, 04:39 AM
i am looking forward to next season.
cause

when the team had something to play for. ie the top six they went on the 6 or 7 game winning streak that was rather nice. if we can rekindle that spirit when it matters again, this can be a good season.
I trust cc in the market. He brought in the likes of sodje, palsson, scott and towell, so he does have an eye for a player and he will bring in good players. People tell me that cc will be very negitive but the signing of a very fast winger does not mean boring to me.
we may not have the fast flowing attacking football of mowbray But we will have a soild team and i can handle that, as long as they put in a shift i can be proud of, cause thats all that i want to say im proud to be a hibee and knowing that the lads gave everything they had. e.g. the 2-2 game against dundee utd, last season around xmas. I was happy that day.
and i trust cc he is a man to have had success at basicly his three prevouse clubs, northhampton(promoted), forrest(promoted) and newcastle(promoted). He is a manager to have had success.

Stop this optimism immediately!!!!!!!

Col2
06-06-2011, 05:47 AM
All I've heard recently is 'we're signing this player, we're signing that player'....blah de blah!

CC is currently on his holibobs :thumbsup:so lets wait till he's home and then judge him on who he brings in :agree::thumbsup:

The season finished 3 weeks ago. Does this mean CC has been on holiday for te full 3 weeks and more to come? Other SPL managers are making signings so assume they gave up summer holidays this year. Hibs - closed for business between May and July.....

Ok agree up to a point but we are only 2.5 weeks from pre season training so would suggest some incoming needs to happen soonish.

Hibbyradge
06-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Ivan Sproule.

matty_f
06-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Ivan Sproule.

Didn't happen. Late panic signings only.:agree:

Kaiser1962
06-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Didn't happen. Late panic signings only.:agree:

:agree:

Ones that are not "Hibs class" or that no-one else wants. Thats us.

IanM
06-06-2011, 06:45 AM
We'll find out this week (as he's stated over the weekend) about the 2 strikers that we've put bids in for - although i don't know for certain, i'd be majorly surprised if a search for a centre half is started only after we have our strikers. a lot goes on behind the scenes we don't know about.

there's a couple of players went to SPL clubs so far i think would have done a job for hibs, but to be honest not many that have made me think we've missed out on something special.

after last season there is a small % of me worried about this season, but nothing to do with the lack of signings so far - it's the reason i went and purchased a season ticket for the first time in 9 seasons, the team need support regardless of who we bring in

Gettin' Auld
06-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Rodders is cute - Drag out the negotiations and save a few weeks wages. :wink:

Mark79
06-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Surely this means that we could see a number of new faces in the next couple of weeks? Ideally you would want your new guys in for pre-season starting. Be just like hibs though to bring folk in a few days before the season starts.

IanM
06-06-2011, 07:16 AM
we'll find out this week about the 2 strikers we've put bids in for - CC stated last week that his priority will be strikers first - lets hope its decent offers for decent strikers then we can all relax a little and let him finish his spending :aok:

hibiedude
06-06-2011, 07:23 AM
we'll find out this week about the 2 strikers we've put bids in for - CC stated last week that his priority will be strikers first - lets hope its decent offers for decent strikers then we can all relax a little and let him finish his spending :aok:

The news will be they are not coming :greengrin

Beefster
06-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Stokes' only season with us proves that it's not imperative that a player is with us in time for pre-season training (or even before the season starts).

Jack
06-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Yeah, the start of pre-season training is definitely DEFCON 5

The first of the friendlies DEFCON 4

The start of the season DEFCON 3

End of July DEFCON 2

Transfer window slamming shut we go ballistic - DEFCON 1

Hamish
06-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Going by the hysteria of some on here the deadline is the end of this week for signings - oh and they have to be Hibs class.

HibeeMG
06-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Rodders is cute :wink:

It's the 'tache. It's turned many a man! :wink:

Spike Mandela
06-06-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm sure modern day football clubs don't put the closed sign up for two or three weeks. Rod Petrie, Scott Lindsay and CC have the capability of staggering any holidays they take to keep the business of football running. I'm sure mobile phones and faxes help as well.

Niffy
06-06-2011, 07:51 AM
4 or 5 guys will arrive over next few weeks, then after another ***** season.... we'll have to "give them time to bed in together".

Craig_in_Prague
06-06-2011, 07:59 AM
4 or 5 guys will arrive over next few weeks, then after another ***** season.... we'll have to "give them time to bed in together".

Transition period and patience required. Wonder how long till that will be rolled out.

:greengrin

Saorsa
06-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Transition period and patience required. Wonder how long till that will be rolled out.

:greengrinrolled out? when was the last time it was ever put away?

Kaiser1962
06-06-2011, 08:43 AM
rolled out? when was the last time it was ever put away?

Heedersnvolleys
06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
I think what bugs me is over the last month of the season we heard how "great a position we were in due all the players being out of contract" but yet we do not seem to have used that our advantage and had players lined up!:confused:

stokesmessiah
06-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I think what bugs me is over the last month of the season we heard how "great a position we were in due all the players being out of contract" but yet we do not seem to have used that our advantage and had players lined up!:confused:

You know this how??

What i hate is ppl coming on here and saying stuff like that with absolutely nothing to back it up!!!

Speedway
06-06-2011, 04:20 PM
unfortunately i agree....nothing to be getting excited about to make me want to rush to ER and get my ST, and i actually now stay next door to the place...

a good example is that steve thompson signed for a lesser team than us, im no manager but would be a decent signing. CC better know what he's doing as Hibs need a major make up job as last season was dire....

You are certainly not a manager if you think Thompson is a decent signing.

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm sure modern day football clubs don't put the closed sign up for two or three weeks. Rod Petrie, Scott Lindsay and CC have the capability of staggering any holidays they take to keep the business of football running. I'm sure mobile phones and faxes help as well.

Maybe the players that CC has identified are still on holidays and once they get back things will hopefully move on.

scoopyboy
06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Maybe the players that CC has identified are still on holidays and once they get back things will hopefully move on.

Sorry, common sense posts not allowed here.

Move along now.

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 06:06 PM

One manager did.

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Going by the hysteria of some on here the deadline is the end of this week for signings - oh and they have to be Hibs class.

If the two players that CC has spoke about are not here at the end of the week this place will go in to meltdown.

Hibs Class
06-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Before this rumour gets out of hand let me be clear that I will not be signing this week :greengrin

Dibben
06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
If the two players that CC has spoke about are not here at the end of the week this place will go in to meltdown.

:panic:

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Sorry, common sense posts not allowed here.

Move along now.

bingo70
06-06-2011, 06:32 PM

I'm normally pretty positive about Hibs and can't really be doing with all the hysteria you get on here but on this occassion i could probably understand why folk would be getting a bit annoyed.

Every year we start off by saying it's quality over quantity and how the manager plans to get them in early so they've got all pre-season together, then we get the usual excuses about people being on holiday and then before you know it we're signings the Trakys and Duffys of this world.

I don't really buy this idea that people being on holidays would stop us signing players, if they genuinely are our first targets i'd have hoped we'd have made contact a long time before the window opened, there's no reason to wait till the window opens to start negotiations when the vast majority of our signings will be bosman transfers.

We needed early signings in January but never got them so i'm not overly optimistic we'll be signing players early this window either.

houston1875
06-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Who thinks,the reason no players have arrived yet,is due maybe to the fact that rod thinks CC might not be at Hibs for much longer and that he'll be off to pastures new,just a idea?

CRAZYHIBBY
06-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Who thinks,the reason no players have arrived yet,is due maybe to the fact that rod thinks CC might not be at Hibs for much longer and that he'll be off to pastures new,just a idea?

I heard CC has been having an affair with Rods Tache:agree:

marinello59
06-06-2011, 06:42 PM

Thats the spirit, give the Violet Elizabeth tendency even more nonsense to get hysterical about. :thumbsup:

stokesmessiah
06-06-2011, 06:50 PM

I despair i really do, why would you even write something like that?

lyonhibs
06-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Thats the spirit, give the Violet Elizabeth tendency even more nonsense to get hysterical about. :thumbsup:

I'm trying to think of another hysterically tenous way to ramp up the self-loathing and drama surrounding this pre-season, but I just can't manage it.

Hibs tend to do things - as far as is possible in this "instant access" age - under the radar, unlike a few of our rivals. That we've not seen "Hibs sign Reyes, Jordi Cruyff and 10 2005 vintage LRT number 26 buses" blurted out across the back pages doesn't mean hee-haw is happening.

houston1875
06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I heard CC has been having an affair with Rods Tache:agree:

I know,I started that rumour lol

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 07:01 PM

FFS. Really you think that. :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
06-06-2011, 07:07 PM
It's A war of attrition prolonged further by those without the means still spending
Until FIFA, eufa or spl step in the nonsense perpetuates when will they realise the significant proportion of support are effectively disenfranchised to do nothing more than make up the numbers. Surely well see in years to come in fact we are now grassroots football impacted by this inequality
History will judge those that let if go down the pan.

Aye well alternatively someone could just smack them in the puss ;)

Capt Mainwaring
06-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Not any sensible poster on here!

You have a problem Houston!

Don Giovanni
06-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm normally pretty positive about Hibs and can't really be doing with all the hysteria you get on here but on this occassion i could probably understand why folk would be getting a bit annoyed.

Every year we start off by saying it's quality over quantity and how the manager plans to get them in early so they've got all pre-season together, then we get the usual excuses about people being on holiday and then before you know it we're signings the Trakys and Duffys of this world.

I don't really buy this idea that people being on holidays would stop us signing players, if they genuinely are our first targets i'd have hoped we'd have made contact a long time before the window opened, there's no reason to wait till the window opens to start negotiations when the vast majority of our signings will be bosman transfers.

We needed early signings in January but never got them so i'm not overly optimistic we'll be signing players early this window either.

:agree 100%

CC has had plenty of time to assess the squad and identify new recruits. With the lack of quality in our squad a right winger can't be the only position we've identified a signing for, surely?

Not everyone will agree but I would hope that we will see at least a couple more new faces in before the start of pre-season.

That's not unreasonable is it?

Ernie Cobra
06-06-2011, 07:47 PM
[/I][/B]

You know this how??

What i hate is ppl coming on here and saying stuff like that with absolutely nothing to back it up!!!

I'll back it up, where are they, if we had players lined up they would have been signed and paraded to encourage season ticket sales. Simple fact is we have not, henceforth not parading them, unless for rodders has been taking commercial lessons from King Vlad and has kept them hidden away in a fritzel proofed dungeon?

Simple enough?

scoopyboy
06-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I'll back it up, where are they, if we had players lined up they would have been signed and paraded to encourage season ticket sales. Simple fact is we have not, henceforth not parading them, unless for rodders has been taking commercial lessons from King Vlad and has kept them hidden away in a fritzel proofed dungeon?

Simple enough?

You undoubtably are.

ScottB
06-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Simple enough?

So they haven't signed yet.

That does not equate that the club are doing nothing. I mean come on, does anybody seriously imagine that the club are doing nothing on the player recruitment front?

Kaiser1962
06-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Simple enough?

Maybe their contracts have not yet expired? :wink:

stokesmessiah
06-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Simple enough?

Yes your answer was, as is your logic....!

matty_f
06-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Who thinks that? Idiots, that's who.

Kaiser1962
06-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Who thinks that? Idiots, that's who.

You'd be surprised how many on here might buy that line Matty.

greenlex
06-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Aye that humping at the weekend certainly opened my eyes.

BEEJ
06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Maybe their contracts have not yet expired? :wink:
I suspect that we're conducting our business in the same way as ICT are. These were Terry Butcher's comments last week:

Butcher, though, is showing no sign of panic and has been busy trying to complete deals with players in Scotland and England.

He told the club's website: "We're making headway but although players out of contract became free agents on June 1, the transfer window does not officially open until June 9, the date at which the SFA accept registrations.

"One or two clubs may have announced signings but players cannot legally be signed and registered before June 9. Most managers, myself included, will wait till then.

"But that doesn't mean that business isn't being done.

Hibs don't usually announce deals until they're official and they can only be made official once their new registrations have been accepted by the SFA. Which is this Thursday.

brydekirk
06-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I suspect that we're conducting our business in the same way as ICT are. These were Terry Butcher's comments last week:

Hibs don't usually announce deals until they're official and they can only be made official once their new registrations have been accepted by the SFA. Which is this Thursday.

allezsauzee
06-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Way too much panic going on here. Hearts have made some signings which they have announced prior to the deals being officially done , probably to sucker a few more yams into taking out loans with Wonga in order to shell out for season tickets. They've not been quite as forthright in announcing who they're going to be selling. Wallace will be off maybe Zaliukas and Driver too.

moredun
06-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Which ties in with what CC was saying last week regarding the 2 strikers he was after.
Something along the lines of having made offers to said players and hoping they will sort it by the end of next week, meaning as you point out, at the end of this week, when it is the earliest it could be official:pray:

The_Horde
06-06-2011, 09:56 PM
We'll find out this week (as he's stated over the weekend) about the 2 strikers that we've put bids in for - although i don't know for certain, i'd be majorly surprised if a search for a centre half is started only after we have our strikers. a lot goes on behind the scenes we don't know about.

there's a couple of players went to SPL clubs so far i think would have done a job for hibs, but to be honest not many that have made me think we've missed out on something special.

after last season there is a small % of me worried about this season, but nothing to do with the lack of signings so far - it's the reason i went and purchased a season ticket for the first time in 9 seasons, the team need support regardless of who we bring in

We - Being Hibs

Not necessarily us (the fans)

Inch Cabbage
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Is anyone confident there is a long term plan in place to transform the team on the park to challenge up the top end of the table! This is not going to happen overnight and needs a long term strategy in place! For me 1 year deals to average journymen are useless!

Franck is God
06-06-2011, 10:10 PM

Steven Thomson was a player that we were interested in January because that was the type of striker he was looking for at that time. We got Sodje instead which suggests that he is now looking for a different kind of player.

In the same way that Mowbray's signings mainly came from the English leagues so will Calderwoods because that is the market that he knows.

Inch Cabbage
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Compared to who? Sodje? Who was at a higher level last season? Who has won stuff in his career? Thomson would have been perfect for us for a year or 2!

ScottB
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Any chance of merging all these into one mega depressed thread and leave them to it?

ScottB
06-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Compared to who? Sodje? Who was at a higher level last season? Who has won stuff in his career? Thomson would have been perfect for us for a year or 2!

How many goals did Sodje score? I'd say he was a pretty good signing, is there any need to put the boot in?

Inch Cabbage
06-06-2011, 10:25 PM
How many goals did Sodje score? I'd say he was a pretty good signing, is there any need to put the boot in?

Sodje is brutal a few goals against the hamiltons of the world doesn't change this! Yes there is because we finished tenth last season and if sodje is the direction we are heading in then were in deep trouble!

ScottB
06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Sodje is brutal a few goals against the hamiltons of the world doesn't change this! Yes there is because we finished tenth last season and if sodje is the direction we are heading in then were in deep trouble!

So Sodje is mince, despite actually scoring goals, while the likes of Saint Deek, who barely found the net in the last 6 months is the way forward aye?

Because we finished 10th Sodje is mince as well? So does that also count for every other player at the club too?

Inch Cabbage
06-06-2011, 10:34 PM
So Sodje is mince, despite actually scoring goals, while the likes of Saint Deek, who barely found the net in the last 6 months is the way forward aye?

Because we finished 10th Sodje is mince as well? So does that also count for every other player at the club too?

Sodje is mince yes! Because he suited the managers hoofball tactic and out scored an under performing player who has been shown the door doesn't change this unfortunately and yes it counts for nearly every player at the club, that is the reason we finished in our worst league position since 98 and why we need a complete overhaul of the team! Only booth and maybe hanlon got pass marks last season the rest played like they played for one of the worst sides in the league! Riordan is not the way forward under our current manager no but i don't mind this if he can bring in better player to suit the way he sets out his sides to play! Steven Thompson or the boy higdon would have been ideal and much better than sodje!

One_Sauzee
06-06-2011, 10:47 PM

A bit disrespectful no? Cannot for the life of me understand any kind of negativity towards Ivan.

Its still early doors, the Yams are only signing, IMO, worse off replacements for Kyle, Wallace and Skacel...

Franck is God
06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Sodje is mince yes! Because he suited the managers hoofball tactic and out scored an under performing player who has been shown the door doesn't change this unfortunately and yes it counts for nearly every player at the club, that is the reason we finished in our worst league position since 98 and why we need a complete overhaul of the team! Only booth and maybe hanlon got pass marks last season the rest played like they played for one of the worst sides in the league! Riordan is not the way forward under our current manager no but i don't mind this if he can bring in better player to suit the way he sets out his sides to play! Steven Thompson or the boy higdon would have been ideal and much better than sodje!

What makes you think that he'll pay the same way next season? He put together a side very quickly to avoid relegation, when it was clear that we weren't going to finish top six he started to experiment a bit to see exactly what all the remaining players in the squad were capable of.

Sodje played an important role in keeping us up and his goals won us games, simple as that. Thomson & Higdon are no better or worse than Sodje, I've seen both play against Hibs and on occasion give us problems but realistically neither have a stellar goal record in the SPL and Sodje's goals per games ratio is pretty good so far and that is in what we would all agree is in an underperforming team too.

Franck is God
06-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Its still early doors, the Yams are only signing, IMO, worse off replacements for Kyle, Wallace and Skacel...

Very true, two of Hearts best performers last year were Kyle and Palazeulos. Kyle has an injury that could see him retiring and Palazeulos has left to go back to Spain. Skacel plays 1 in 2 games if he's lucky. Wallace will be sold and so will Driver if any decent offers come in.

The players they have brought in are good solid SPL players but I agree perhaps not as good as the ones that might be leaving.

Inch Cabbage
06-06-2011, 11:01 PM
What makes you think that he'll pay the same way next season? He put together a side very quickly to avoid relegation, when it was clear that we weren't going to finish top six he started to experiment a bit to see exactly what all the remaining players in the squad were capable of.

Sodje played an important role in keeping us up and his goals won us games, simple as that. Thomson & Higdon are no better or worse than Sodje, I've seen both play against Hibs and on occasion give us problems but realistically neither have a stellar goal record in the SPL and Sodje's goals per games ratio is pretty good so far and that is in what we would all agree is in an underperforming team too.

I don't even know where to start with this! Look at calderwoods past managerial career to have a glimpse at the style he will have us play! He put no kind of side together at all we had players all over the shop playing out of position! Martin scott is on a three year deal and sodje two, hardly brought in just to keep us up! Steven thomson is a much better player than sodje and how many goals did higdon score last season in a worse side than us! I repeat if sodje is good enough for Hibs and some of our fans I despair!

Inch Cabbage
06-06-2011, 11:03 PM
A bit disrespectful no? Cannot for the life of me understand any kind of negativity towards Ivan.

Who cares who hearts are signing? Im more worried who the likes of ST mirren are bringing in at this time! Thompson and that hassielbank from Hamilton are two really good signings for the deal directly below us last season!

SaulGoodman
06-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm always optimistic. Been watching some Hibs videos on Youtube and i'm already itching to get the new season underway, hopefully with some new signings into the bargain.

I don't know what it is, we're pretty shacht right now, but I still cant wait for the new season :thumbsup:

yekimevol
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM
wow gents im really wanting the season to start now so that the lads can prove themselfs to us and we can get back to happyer times

:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa

RickyS
06-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Who cares who hearts are signing? Im more worried who the likes of ST mirren are bringing in at this time! Thompson and that hassielbank from Hamilton are two really good signings for the deal directly below us last season!

i agree and disagree. i do care who the yams bring in cos i really worry about how much they will be stronger than we will be unless we strengthen considerably.
I also worry that those two signings are good ones for saints and they were not that far behind us last season and again we are weaker and they are stronger.

keep telling myself tho, its Hibs, this is how we do it and its not time for panic buttons..................yet:greengrin

EK_Hibs
06-06-2011, 11:39 PM
i agree and disagree. i do care who the yams bring in cos i really worry about how much they will be stronger than we will be unless we strengthen considerably.
I also worry that those two signings are good ones for saints and they were not that far behind us last season and again we are weaker and they are stronger.

keep telling myself tho, its Hibs, this is how we do it and its not time for panic buttons..................yet:greengrin

CC in The Sun... not saying too much really

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3621576/Hibs-must-get-better.html

snooky
06-06-2011, 11:46 PM
CC in The Sun... not saying too much really
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3621576/Hibs-must-get-better.html

I agree with you EKH.
What an indepth interview.
We are enlightened. :yawn:

Inch Cabbage
06-06-2011, 11:53 PM

Cool mate we can live in hope!

Hibbyradge
07-06-2011, 05:53 AM

When does the transfer window close?

marinello59
07-06-2011, 05:56 AM
When does the transfer window close?

It doesn't close. It slams shut.

Aldo
07-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Is anyone confident there is a long term plan in place to transform the team on the park to challenge up the top end of the table! This is not going to happen overnight and needs a long term strategy in place! For me 1 year deals to average journymen are useless!

IC if we can keep CC long enough...then my answer is YES. He turned around Northamptons fortunes and got them promoted and did ok at Forest in a league that is well ahead of ours.

He needs time but TBH i dont think the support will allow him the time and will on the teams back from the off after 1 bad result.

MSK
07-06-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't even know where to start with this! Look at calderwoods past managerial career to have a glimpse at the style he will have us play! He put no kind of side together at all we had players all over the shop playing out of position! Martin scott is on a three year deal and sodje two, hardly brought in just to keep us up! Steven thomson is a much better player than sodje and how many goals did higdon score last season in a worse side than us! I repeat if sodje is good enough for Hibs and some of our fans I despair!The same Stephen Thompson who has scored a whopping 60 odd goals in over 300 appearances at club level ?...hardly prolific is it ..?

Higdon ..18 goals in 61 St Mirren appearances ..

Deary me ..

dangermouse
07-06-2011, 09:58 AM

You are on the wind up surely? Thompson or Higdon in their team ahead of Riordan! :faf::faf::faf:

dangermouse
07-06-2011, 10:02 AM

4 goals in 28 appearances, hardly prolific. I'll grant you he ripped Dickoh a new one at ER but poor defending let do that assist.

GreenPJ
07-06-2011, 10:19 AM
The majority of the signings that have been made by SPL clubs are players from other SPL clubs. People have spent many an hour berating the quality of the league and the players in it and then get upset when opposition clubs sign mediocre players from other SPL clubs or players who are nearing the end of their careers and have dubious injury records.

There are 100M+ registered footballers in the world am sure a few of them are better than Steven Thompson, Danny Grainger and John Sutton.

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 10:23 AM
You are on the wind up surely? Thompson or Higdon in their team ahead of Riordan! :faf::faf::faf:

In a hoofballing side uhu that too hard to understand?

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
The same Stephen Thompson who has scored a whopping 60 odd goals in over 300 appearances at club level ?...hardly prolific is it ..?

Higdon ..18 goals in 61 St Mirren appearances ..

Deary me ..

Is goals the only thing forwards bring to the table like? Hold up play is a vital part of a forwards game especially if the side play to that tactic! Thompson is a good forward and much better than Sodje!

dangermouse
07-06-2011, 10:36 AM
In a hoofballing side uhu that too hard to understand?

Why do we want Hibs to become a hoofballing side :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Garry O'Connor, already started training on his own - spotted in Holyrood Park today.

HibsMax
07-06-2011, 03:43 PM
If pre-season training doesn't start for 2 more weeks, why does it matter if we take 14 minutes or 14 days to bring people in? Surely pre-season training is when the players will all be getting together, formally, for the first time?

HibbyAndy
07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Garry O'Connor, already started training on his own - spotted in Holyrood Park today.

Hopefully keeping himself fit while awaiting the call fae Rod :pray:

HibsMax
07-06-2011, 03:45 PM
:agree 100%

CC has had plenty of time to assess the squad and identify new recruits. With the lack of quality in our squad a right winger can't be the only position we've identified a signing for, surely?

Not everyone will agree but I would hope that we will see at least a couple more new faces in before the start of pre-season.

That's not unreasonable is it?
What you are asking for is not unreasonable. But since we don't know what is actually going on behind closed doors, assuming that nothing is happening IS unreasonable IMO. I'm not saying that YOU are making that assumption but there are many on here who do, or imply they do by their posts.

EDIT : what is the benefit of having players on the books before pre-season training? Do the team actually get together and start working together? Genuine question.

greenlex
07-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Were L&B finest in front or behind him? It would be a good indicator of his fitness.:agree:

Cameron1875
07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Hopefully keeping himself fit while awaiting the call fae Rod :pray:

If he can sort himself out then i'd take him at Hibs in a heartbeat. If he is a bit of 'character' and enjoying himself up town etc etc then i'd hope under Calderwood that Hibs have moved on from this type of player. Its a time for disciplined and determined players rather than guys who turn up once every 3 games.

Jack
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM

He was just running to the garage to see if his cars fixed yet :agree:

MSK
07-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Is goals the only thing forwards bring to the table like? Hold up play is a vital part of a forwards game especially if the side play to that tactic! Thompson is a good forward and much better than Sodje!In most of your previous posts you have blabbered on about goals !! :confused:

Dont know if you watched St Mirren last season & in particular Higdon ..plenty hoooooofball tactics there !!

With regards Thompson I would expect more of the same ..if though CC had signed Thompson would you have excused him for playing the hooofball then, because from what I remember Thompson was pretty rank wi the ball at his feet & was more a target man ..

Gimme Sodge over Thompson or Higdon any day ..

Franck Stanton
07-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Was there a man in uniform wearing a black/white checkered cap on his head chasing after him ?

Geo_1875
07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I don't see why CC can't just identify the players he wants then Rod can ask their agents how much they want to play for the Hibees. It's really that simple: Or is it?

HibsMax
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't see why CC can't just identify the players he wants then Rod can ask their agents how much they want to play for the Hibees. It's really that simple: Or is it?

Perhaps that is exactly what is happening?

poolman
07-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Was there a man in uniform wearing a black/white checkered cap on his head chasing after him ?

Yes, and he had a very exited spaniel with him :greengrin

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
In most of your previous posts you have blabbered on about goals !! :confused:

Dont know if you watched St Mirren last season & in particular Higdon ..plenty hoooooofball tactics there !!

With regards Thompson I would expect more of the same ..if though CC had signed Thompson would you have excused him for playing the hooofball then, because from what I remember Thompson was pretty rank wi the ball at his feet & was more a target man ..

Gimme Sodge over Thompson or Higdon any day ..

Your not getting the point, under calderwood we will be a long ball side so it is best to bring in the best players to do that job! Sodje over Thompson anyday? Based on what exactly? Seriously?

MSK
07-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Your not getting the point, under calderwood we will be a long ball side so it is best to bring in the best players to do that job! Sodje over Thompson anyday? Based on what exactly? Seriously?Long ball ..seriously ..?..why did we sign Sproule then ..tae stick him in goals ?...I also prefer Sodge tae Thompson for Goals to games ratio for a start ..Thompson is gash ..seriously ..

DAVE1875
07-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Yes, and he had a very exited spaniel with him :greengrin

You sure it wasn't this man dressed as GO'C?

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/41289067.jpg

Aldo
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Sorry but I would of played Sodje ahead of Deek.....head on the chopping board here...nothing to do with talent but commitment for the club and the cause. Wot Sodje got 6 goals in 15 appearanced but did more in those 15 games than DR did all season long IMHO.

FWIW I am a DR fan however he showed everyone that he was not interested and did nowt but sulk about the pitch...basically playing with a man short on occasion.

You can slate me all you want but you know its true.

As for Sodje over Thomson issue.....both have their strengths but would have Sodje over Thomson due to him being a more mobile player (o and thats just my opinion).

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Long ball ..seriously ..?..why did we sign Sproule then ..tae stick him in goals ?...I also prefer Sodge tae Thompson for Goals to games ratio for a start ..Thompson is gash ..seriously ..

No idea why we brought back Ivan! Is there anything in the way we have set up since he arrived or in his previous management roles to suggest it won't be long ball hoofball? 5 years of same style football management or the signing of Ivan? Tough one!

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry but I would of played Sodje ahead of Deek.....head on the chopping board here...nothing to do with talent but commitment for the club and the cause. Wot Sodje got 6 goals in 15 appearanced but did more in those 15 games than DR did all season long IMHO.

FWIW I am a DR fan however he showed everyone that he was not interested and did nowt but sulk about the pitch...basically playing with a man short on occasion.

You can slate me all you want but you know its true.

As for Sodje over Thomson issue.....both have their strengths but would have Sodje over Thomson due to him being a more mobile player (o and thats just my opinion).

I would play sodje instead of riordan under calderwood too! Riordan is wasted in a hoofball side!

Aldo
07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I would play sodje instead of riordan under calderwood too! Riordan is wasted in a hoofball side!

Regardless of playing Hoofball or not DR was not interested last season ENDOF.

As for next season I for one want a team thats hard to beat and will fight for everything and win regardless of how we play.

Its nice to play a bit of footie but at wot cost...getting beaten every week. No thanks.

Heres a question for you

If we get into the top 6..in fact finish 3rd and get to the latter stages of the cup competitions playing route 1 football would you be disappointed because we won loads of games???

I love to see us playing good football but this hasnt really worked in the last season or so.

Hard to beat...win more than lose

Easy to beat...get humped every week.

as the meerkat would say SIMPLE.

Dinkydoo
07-06-2011, 05:08 PM
It doesn't close. It slams shut.

:hilarious

:shhhsh!::worried:

brydekirk
07-06-2011, 05:12 PM
The majority of the signings that have been made by SPL clubs are players from other SPL clubs. People have spent many an hour berating the quality of the league and the players in it and then get upset when opposition clubs sign mediocre players from other SPL clubs or players who are nearing the end of their careers and have dubious injury records.

There are 100M+ registered footballers in the world am sure a few of them are better than Steven Thompson, Danny Grainger and John Sutton.

MSK
07-06-2011, 05:24 PM
No idea why we brought back Ivan! Is there anything in the way we have set up since he arrived or in his previous management roles to suggest it won't be long ball hoofball? 5 years of same style football management or the signing of Ivan? Tough one!Why dont we give the guy a chance to get some more signings in before coming out wi all this hoofball pish you keep spouting !!!

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Why dont we give the guy a chance to get some more signings in before coming out wi all this hoofball pish you keep spouting !!!

Did January's signings suggest we would play any other way? Explain how it is pish please? Is there any evidence to suggest we wont play this way? Say 3 year deals for Scott palsson and thornhill maybe? Nope me neither

scoopyboy
07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Did January's signings suggest we would play any other way? Explain how it is pish please? Is there any evidence to suggest we wont play this way? Say 3 year deals for Scott palsson and thornhill maybe? Nope me neither

Do you expect Ivan Sproule to be hoofing the ball or expect him to win the hoofball?

Could this be construed as evidence?

MyJo
07-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Im sure it'll all be fine once we sign Robbie Nielson. :cool2:

scoopyboy
07-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Hoofthrow

Kojock
07-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Maybe CC thought that the best tactic with the resources available was to play the long ball game.

Maybe if CC gets the players he wants he will change his game plan to fast flowing attacking football.

Horses for courses or to put it another way you can only wee wee with the William youv'e got. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Is it just me, but i did not see Calderwoods side as a hoofball team last season. I thought he tried to get the players to make sure the ball was played forward maybe a little earlier than Hughes side but they were still trying to play football. Hoofball naw, sheite football yip.

Craig_in_Prague
07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Is it just me, but i did not see Calderwoods side as a hoofball team last season. I thought he tried to get the players to make sure the ball was played forward maybe a little earlier than Hughes side but they were still trying to play football. Hoofball naw, sheite football yip.

Except the 1st derby at ER, I totally agree.

In some flashes the football was really good, little goals to show for it and that was a big problem. Along with truely pants defending.

Hopefully we'll see a good balance side next season that will play decent enough football, get more goals, defend better and also don't get bullied in games.
All in all, something like D UTD of the last few seasons. But even better :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
07-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Yeah agreed. And not sure how the signing of 3 central midfielders is a sign that we are gonna play the ball from front to back quick. Those 2 attacking full backs are also gonna have to be VERY fast!!
People have just decided they don't rate CC. And that's that.

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 07:03 PM

As for next season I for one want a team thats hard to beat and will fight for everything and win regardless of how we play.

Its nice to play a bit of footie but at wot cost...getting beaten every week. No thanks.

Heres a question for you

If we get into the top 6..in fact finish 3rd and get to the latter stages of the cup competitions playing route 1 football would you be disappointed because we won loads of games???

I love to see us playing good football but this hasnt really worked in the last season or so.

I never once said I wouldn't settle for a successful hoofball side. I'm just realistic to what we will get under CC.

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Why the hell would be sign huddy neilson? :rolleyes:

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Do you expect Ivan Sproule to be hoofing the ball or expect him to win the hoofball?

Could this be construed as evidence?

Yes. A big tall striker to win the headers, Ivan to play off said striker. :aok:

Inch Cabbage
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Maybe CC thought that the best tactic with the resources available was to play the long ball game.

Maybe if CC gets the players he wants he will change his game plan to fast flowing attacking football.

Horses for courses or to put it another way you can only wee wee with the William youv'e got. :wink:

No, he signed up Palsson Sodje Scott and Thornhill. All 4 of these players he brought to the club on long term deals are battlers and have very little footballing ability.

Aldo
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
I never once said I wouldn't settle for a successful hoofball side. I'm just realistic to what we will get under CC.

Fair dos mate.

Just fed up of having a team thats soft and easy to turn over thats all. Need a team like I say thats hard to beat...personally not looking for those 2 world class players like along the road but guys that will fit into a system and be very effective.

I think we all want one thing and thats a good Hibs team that is capable of winning most weeks. (o and show the fans how much it means to pull on that jersey)

scoopyboy
07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
No, he signed up Palsson Sodje Scott and Thornhill. All 4 of these players he brought to the club on long term deals are battlers and have very little footballing ability.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much football Matty Thornhill has in him, he was showing that for me just as he got injured.

Did we win a game after he picked up his injury?

Against Hearts he played one or two delightful balls to Deek that on another day might have lead to a couple of goals.

jabis
07-06-2011, 07:19 PM

how long ?

and could you PLEEEAAASSSSE,pretty please,tell us your realistic new team line up.

cos your forward line I find Keech :na na:

chorley_fm
07-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Fair dos mate.

Just fed up of having a team thats soft and easy to turn over thats all. Need a team like I say thats hard to beat...personally not looking for those 2 world class players like along the road but guys that will fit into a system and be very effective.

I think we all want one thing and thats a good Hibs team that is capable of winning most weeks. (o and show the fans how much it means to pull on that jersey)

hahaha

do you really think the players give a damn ?

jabis
07-06-2011, 07:27 PM
hahaha

yes

Aldo
07-06-2011, 07:30 PM
hahaha

I will say yes cos if the management and board find out they are taking the piss then they will be out on their ***** fir breach of contract and no team will want a player like that in their team.

Honestly I think they do..

CallumLaidlaw
07-06-2011, 07:33 PM

Pallson and Sodje are only 18 month deals

BEEJ
07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I was just about to post the same. :agree:

(Hmmm ... I just did!)

greenlex
08-06-2011, 01:00 AM
I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much football Matty Thornhill has in him, he was showing that for me just as he got injured.

Against Hearts he played one or two delightful balls to Deek that on another day might have lead to a couple of goals.

Agree Scoopy. One of the passes on the turn with the outside of the foot was sublime. If Deeks hadnt been caught on his heels it would certainly have created a very good chance.

Kaiser1962
08-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Agree Scoopy. One of the passes on the turn with the outside of the foot was sublime. If Deeks hadnt been caught on his heels it would certainly have created a very good chance.

Deek probably got the shock of his life that a Hibs player hit a through ball like that and he wasnt having to wrestle two huge Yan ****s who were gang raping him while he tried to get it. Must have shat himself.

(edit It would appear that ****, with a G,not a C, followed by u-n-t is now captured by the wee sweary filter as well. To me this is a similar word to Yam in that it's only applied to those of the Pink Persuasion. Where will it end?)

Captain Trips
08-06-2011, 07:32 AM
My concern is not when will we sign but who will we sign, if nobody has come in say 2 weeks before start I will worry about the when, just now the who is critical as get it wrong and it doesnt matter when you sign them.

IMO CC has got to sign 3, 4 at least straight into team better than we haves.

CallumLaidlaw
08-06-2011, 07:35 AM
The funny thing is, even if we make 6 new signings before the season starts, we'll all still be desperate for an exciting deadline day signing

aberhibsfc
08-06-2011, 07:45 AM

jax67
08-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Spot on, Thornhill imo is CC's best signing, ball winner, good passer, gets himself involved in the attack,and like Boozy he retains possession after winning the ball(it doesnt go for a needless corner or throw-in). I cant wait to see what he will be like after a good pre-season:agree:

R'Albin
08-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Spot on, Thornhill imo is CC's best signing, ball winner, good passer, gets himself involved in the attack,and like Boozy he retains possession after winning the ball(it doesnt go for a needless corner or throw-in). I cant wait to see what he will be like after a good pre-season:agree:

Thomson
08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Calderwood's search for a new striker continues after targets signs for Inverness. Full details in todays News.

Any Thoughts. Could it still be rooney?

Thomson
08-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Or Does it mean that our targets have signed for ICT?

Beefster
08-06-2011, 09:30 AM
They're referring to Tade presumably.

Stevie Reid
08-06-2011, 09:31 AM
The EN reported that we were looking at Tade a while back, and now he's signed for ICT, so that's what it will be about. Could get messy on here if they report that we've missed out on him, but I'm not remotely bothered about it.

easty
08-06-2011, 09:31 AM
They're referring to Tade presumably.

Am I more depressed that we were considering signing him, or that we're actually a less attractive option then Caley?

I am glad we didn't get him as I'm hoping for better.

Thomson
08-06-2011, 09:33 AM
The EN reported that we were looking at Tade a while back, and now he's signed for ICT, so that's what it will be about.

Ok. So does that mean that Tade was one of the exciting strikers calderwood was talking about? :worried:

GloryGlory
08-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Sounds like typical hack space filler puff. Hibs were supposed to be looking, etc, etc and when so-called (by whom? not by Hibs) target moves elsewhere, link it to make up a space filler about Hibs, without any substantive evidence of any kind whatsoever...

Yawn, yawn, yawn.

JimBHibees
08-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Sounds like typical hack space filler puff. Hibs were supposed to be looking, etc, etc and when so-called (by whom? not by Hibs) target moves elsewhere, link it to make up a space filler about Hibs, without any substantive evidence of any kind whatsoever...

Yawn, yawn, yawn.

Nail on head IMO.

Steve20
08-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I really hope he wasn't one of the players that the manager was going to be excited about signing. Expected a bit better than that.

Love the Green
08-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Yawn, yawn, yawn.

Hope you are right as 2 things worry me.
1. Was this 1 of the exciting strikers CC was talking about.
2. If so how on earth can ICT atract a new player before us.

"keep the faith":wink::worried:

Thomson
08-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Yawn, yawn, yawn.

I really hope he wasn't one of the players that the manager was going to be excited about signing. Expected a bit better than that.

Spot On. I hope that GloryGlory is right, in that he was not the exciting striker we were to look forward to, and that they are trying to fill space by linking the two. If these are the type of players that are meant to excite us, then we have a lot not to look forward to.

Lucius Apuleius
08-06-2011, 09:45 AM
BH says we never looked at Tade. I would believe hime beofre the EEN. :devil:

AlbertK86
08-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Spot On. I hope that GloryGlory is right, in that he was not the exciting striker we were to look forward to, and that they are trying to fill space by linking the two. If these are the type of players that are meant to excite us, then we have a lot not to look forward to.

If Tade was one of the strikers then CC was excited about then I am seriously worried. However as said the EEN is always quiet on football front at this time of year and as they ran that story about Tade then it should read EEN target for Hibs gone elsewhere.

Hopeful this may be them bringing in cover cos Rooney coming to us.... although I have a bad feeling Rooney will have better offers from England !!

Live in hope

GGTTH

Love the Green
08-06-2011, 09:51 AM

BH?

"keep the faith"
:confused:

Twa Cairpets
Am I more depressed that we were considering signing him, or that we're actually a less attractive option then Caley?

I am glad we didn't get him as I'm hoping for better.

Or, of course, it might be the case he was looked at, considered, and no offer was made because he either wasnt good enough at all or wasnt worth what he wanted to get in Hibs opinion. Or maybe he wasnt looked at at all.

I personally suspect it's the former, but that wouldn't make a good post to allow you to be depressed would it?

JimBHibees
Was interested in the speculation re the 2 strikers we are meant to be in for and without any inside knowledge on my part it would appear to point to GOC and Rooney purely on the basis in GOC's case of not many other teams maybe being in for him. As regards Rooney I think he would have been getting touted and linked with other teams so assuming silence is a good sign. Wishful thinking probably. :greengrin

The more I thought about it though was that are these two not pretty much identical type forwards, both pretty strong and mobile and can finish with neither particularly a target man. In hindisght maybe points against these two being signed up. If I had the choice mine would be Rooney for his youth and development potential.

Iain G
08-06-2011, 09:52 AM

I'd almost rather belive Vladimir Romanov than that rag of a paper at times... :wink::greengrin

Beefster
08-06-2011, 09:53 AM
If Tade was one of the strikers then CC was excited about then I am seriously worried. However as said the EEN is always quiet on football front at this time of year and as they ran that story about Tade then it should read EEN target for Hibs gone elsewhere.

Hopeful this may be them bringing in cover cos Rooney coming to us.... although I have a bad feeling Rooney will have better offers from England !!

Live in hope

GGTTH

It doesn't follow that, just because Tade has signed for ICT, Rooney is coming to us. Rooney is out of contract so, no matter where he goes, they'll need to replace him.

whiskyhibby
08-06-2011, 09:53 AM
The main and private boards would have gone into meltdown with negativity if Tade had signed for us!

JimBHibees
08-06-2011, 09:54 AM
It doesn't follow that, just because Tade has signed for ICT, Rooney is coming to us. Rooney is out of contract so, no matter where he goes, they'll need to replace him.

Yep doesnt follow at all Rooney was always leaving ICT, where is he going is the question.

dangermouse
08-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Heres a question for you

You're right! Riordan looked so disinterested when he slammed in the opener against the sheep on the last day of the season.

EK_Hibs
08-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Mate of mine is an ICT fan and he claims Rooney is looking for over 6k per week!!

If that's true then can we can forget about Rooney unfortunately.

AlbertK86
08-06-2011, 09:59 AM

That's exactly wot I was saying !!

Still got to be positive and hope tho'

dangermouse
08-06-2011, 10:00 AM

:faf::faf::faf: Do you actually watch Hibs? Seriously.

Last Minute
08-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Mate of mine is an ICT fan and he claims Rooney is looking for over 6k per week!!

Mind you I heard we offered Webster more than that before he chose the yams.:agree:

PatHead
08-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know if we have "signed" an assistant manager yet?

Hibs90
08-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I heard Rooney rejected us because we finished in the bottom half of the SPL and he would also like to play at a higher level.. That was the chat at work last night anyway. :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know if we have "signed" an assistant manager yet?

I have a feeling that one of our already in situ coaching staff will be promoted to the position of assistant:devil:

Baldy Foghorn
08-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I heard Rooney rejected us because we finished in the bottom half of the SPL and he would also like to play at a higher level.. That was the chat at work last night anyway. :wink:

More likely to be wages, he is probably looking for a great deal more than he was on at ICT...

Hibs90
08-06-2011, 10:40 AM
More likely to be wages, he is probably looking for a great deal more than he was on at ICT...

Probably. I'm not saying what I was told was/is true, fwiw.

PatHead
08-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a feeling that one of our already in situ coaching staff will be promoted to the position of assistant:devil:

Wondered if a player/assistant manager was on the cards. Experienced centre half wanting coaching experience would fit the bill and may not cost too much if performing 2 roles.

brydekirk
08-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Was interested in the speculation re the 2 strikers we are meant to be in for and without any inside knowledge on my part it would appear to point to GOC and Rooney purely on the basis in GOC's case of not many other teams maybe being in for him. As regards Rooney I think he would have been getting touted and linked with other teams so assuming silence is a good sign. Wishful thinking probably. :greengrin

The more I thought about it though was that are these two not pretty much identical type forwards, both pretty strong and mobile and can finish with neither particularly a target man. In hindisght maybe points against these two being signed up. If I had the choice mine would be Rooney for his youth and development potential.

Dinkydoo
08-06-2011, 12:22 PM
You're right! Riordan looked so disinterested when he slammed in the opener against the sheep on the last day of the season.

I do like to try and stay reasonably optimistic but the fact that DR looked like he was giving his all on the last day of the season - when he hadn't been doing so for the past year - is more indicative of whether he thought he was going to be staying, IMO.

I have to agree with Aldo, Deeks hans't been interested for a long time now.

Thief
08-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Twitter post suggesting both Edinburgh clubs showing interest in Blackpool's Gary Taylor-Fletcher. Sorry if old news :-(

MSK
08-06-2011, 07:50 PM

If that's true then can we can forget about Rooney unfortunately.Aye right ..about time players got a smack of reality ..he aint good enough to command that fee, in fact he is no more than an average SPL player ..think I have said that before on here ..

Hiber-nation
08-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Twitter post suggesting both Edinburgh clubs showing interest in Blackpool's Gary Taylor-Fletcher. Sorry if old news :-(

Someone Twittering a loadypish then. Even though he was only on 10 grand a week its just a tad more than we could afford.

sixtwo
08-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Aye right ..about time players got a smack of reality ..he aint good enough to command that fee, in fact he is no more than an average SPL player ..think I have said that before on here ..

I have said the same. He is only good enough to replace colin nish as a squad player in my opinion. Not a chance would i want us to blow a wage budget on him. He would be lucky to get employed by a club like ours. I am setting my sights higher than him, I hope cc and the board are too

MSK
08-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I have said the same. He is only good enough to replace colin nish as a squad player in my opinion. Not a chance would i want us to blow a wage budget on him. He would be lucky to get employed by a club like ours. I am setting my sights higher than him, I hope cc and the board are tooIm not gonna slate Nish ..the guy is a hibbie & deserves more respect than the garbage that is/was spouted on here about him ..

Rooney is a different player than Nish, Ive no doubt the guy would score goals but I agree we should be setting our sights on better than him ..

I also doubt that Rooney is looking for that wage either..im sure he is a clever guy who has ambitions to move up a notch in his career... but im also sure he wont be silly enough price himself out of a move to a bigger club than Inverness..should it be us or elsewhere ..money is getting tighter ..esp in Scotland...:agree:

Lucius Apuleius
09-06-2011, 05:28 AM
BH?

"keep the faith"
:confused:

You don't know BH? Wow. BH is thee man. If BH says we never looked at him, we never. FACT. END OF.

Spike Mandela
09-06-2011, 09:51 AM
CC Quote.....We have made offers to them and I expect by the end of next week we will have an idea if they are happening or not.

So when does the end of next week become the end of next week.? :devil:

If we haven't heard whispers by end of Friday should be conclude stumbling blocks have come in to play. Or should we take it literally as Midnight Sunday and if no news Monday then presume that deals are unlikely or at least protracted.:confused:

Not 'drama queening' as I am relaxed about Hibs signing policy just curious as to others interpretation of this direct quote from CC.

Beefster
09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
CC Quote.....We have made offers to them and I expect by the end of next week we will have an idea if they are happening or not.

So when does the end of next week become the end of next week.? :devil:

If we haven't heard whispers by end of Friday should be conclude stumbling blocks have come in to play. Or should we take it literally as Midnight Sunday and if no news Monday then presume that deals are unlikely or at least protracted.:confused:

Not 'drama queening' as I am relaxed about Hibs signing policy just curious as to others interpretation of this direct quote from CC.

I think that Calderwood made a huge error in saying that in the first place. If we haven't signed anyone by Monday, it'll create panic within some sections of the support and will reinforce the usual perception that we struggle to attract the players that we want because of the wage policies.

By the way, I don't think that we'll sign anyone before Monday but I could be wrong.

Lucius Apuleius
09-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I think that Calderwood made a huge error in saying that in the first place. If we haven't signed anyone by Monday, it'll create panic within some sections of the support and will reinforce the usual perception that we struggle to attract the players that we want because of the wage policies.

By the way, I don't think that we'll sign anyone before Monday but I could be wrong.

Even MORE panic!!!!!! I cannae live wi it man.:greengrin

Steve-O
09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
So far this is the worst pre season in memory!

dangermouse
09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Even MORE panic!!!!!! I cannae live wi it man.:greengrin

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGA8zC_Vw_umoXuB3sv04FH-Gf2GJvTZD52Qmiwqc2uwq7B4dh2IEfh7721A

Don't panic.

basehibby
09-06-2011, 04:12 PM
So far this is the worst pre season in memory!

No it's not - it's like this virtually every close season - Hibs fans sit watching in growing dismay as other teams make signings while Hibs sit on their hands shock!

OK - before anyone says it I know that it's because we are trying to get value for money. However, an inevitable consequence of this approach is that, often, primary targets will go elsewhere. That being the case, our manager will be left scrapping the barrel the weekend before the season starts, trialing players that noone else seems to want.

Obviously this is NOT what I want to see happening (again!) but in a close season where a major rebuilding job is desperately needed, the silence coming out of ER at the moment is deafening!

basehibby
09-06-2011, 04:16 PM

:confused: Why on earth would that be??? Hibs' wage budget is c £4M is it not???

With a squad of 25 that would mean an average wage of about £3K a week - surely it would not be unreasonable to splash out in the region of double this average for what would presumably be a key member of the team.

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 04:26 PM
:confused: Why on earth would that be??? Hibs' wage budget is c £4M is it not???

With a squad of 25 that would mean an average wage of about £3K a week - surely it would not be unreasonable to splash out in the region of double this average for what would presumably be a key member of the team.

How would the rest of the team react?

HibbyAndy
09-06-2011, 04:29 PM

The rest of the team dinnae deserve **** all for the below par underwhelming season that they have just gave us.

Beefster
09-06-2011, 04:32 PM

They could like it or lump it. How do you think someone like Hanlon feels seeing guys like de Graaf earning way more than him? He will just get on with trying to prove he deserves more (or a move).

Football clubs aren't some sort of socialist paradise where everyone gets the same wages.

BEEJ
09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
What business would it be of their's?

Is the dressing room to be run on strictly egalitarian principles? :greengrin

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 04:33 PM
The rest of the team dinnae deserve **** all for the below par underwhelming season that they have just gave us.

While you may well be right paying someone double the rest would not help. We are trying to repair the dynamic are we not?

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
They could like it or lump it. How do you think someone like Hanlon feels seeing guys like de Graaf earning way more than him? He will just get on with trying to prove he deserves more (or a move).

Football clubs aren't some sort of socialist paradise where everyone gets the same wages.

No they're not. But essentially they are at their work. And we know how that goes.

Beefster
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM

No they're not. But essentially they are at their work. And we know how that goes.

There will already be a wide range of salaries within the first team squad (including some players being paid more than double that of others). It's perfectly normal.

It would be like saying Man Utd shouldn't pay Rooney what he 'deserves' because Fletcher might get upset.

HibbyAndy
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
While you may well be right paying someone double the rest would not help. We are trying to repair the dynamic are we not?

Think im right in saying Hart and De Graff are 2 of our highest earners, 2 players that havent kicked a ball for us ( Cue Andy74 to come along and tell us EDG was in the right places just unlucky :rolleyes:) What do the likes of Hanlon and Booth think of getting possibly 3 time less than these guys and have played say 3 times more better?

BEEJ
09-06-2011, 04:39 PM

[B]Football clubs aren't some sort of socialist paradise where everyone gets the same wages.{/B]

What you are therefore suggesting as the ideal is a wage cap, set at the level of the player(s) in the squad who is/are currently the highest paid.

Sorry, can't agree. If that is the way we've decided to move forward then we're developing the squad with one hand tied behind our back.

BEEJ
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
It would be like saying Man Utd shouldn't pay Rooney what he 'deserves' because Fletcher might get upset.
:agree: Exactly.

Farcical - and hopefully not the principle the club is adopting during this transfer window.

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
What you are therefore suggesting as the ideal is a wage cap, set at the level of the player(s) in the squad who is/are currently the highest paid.

Sorry, can't agree. If that is the way we've decided to move forward then we're developing the squad with one hand tied behind our back.

No I'm not but what was suggested was that we pay this guy £6k a week to be part of a team. What if he dosent fit in? What if we're still sheite?

If I was playing and felt the new boy was getting paid double what I was and he didnt deliver then I would not be happy. Is he an International player?

Even if he does deliver he is still one part of a team. He cant do it on his own. If he could I would sack the lot of them and pay him all their wages but he cant.

There is nothing wrong with wages being stepped according to performance or experience but he has neither. He's an ok SPL player who did well with ICT. He might not bring that here. The much maligned Nish did OK with Killie.

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=Kaiser1962;2824626]

There will already be a wide range of salaries within the first team squad (including some players being paid more than double that of others). It's perfectly normal.

No I'm not. Read my other post.

BEEJ
09-06-2011, 04:54 PM
No I'm not but what was suggested was that we pay this guy £6k a week to be part of a team. What if he dosent fit in? What if we're still sheite?

If I was playing and felt the new boy was getting paid double what I was and he didnt deliver then I would not be happy. Is he an International player?

Even if he does deliver he is still one part of a team. He cant do it on his own. If he could I would sack the lot of them and pay him all their wages but he cant.

There is nothing wrong with wages being stepped according to performance or experience but he has neither. He's an ok SPL player who did well with ICT. He might not bring that here. The much maligned Nish did OK with Killie.
All those 'ifs' 'buts' and 'maybes' are part and parcel of the transfer decision process. CC, RP et al need to decide whether any player will deliver value equivalent to what his agent is demanding by way of salary and sign-on fee.

If they consider that these demands are not unrealistic given what the player
has been able to show at this level in recent seasons, if the salary demanded does not take up a disproportionate share of the club's overall salary budget and if they feel said player also has a potential sell-on value - then there should be nothing to prevent Hibs making an offer.

Certainly not some idealistic consideration of how other players in the squad feel about it.

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
All those 'ifs' 'buts' and 'maybes' are part and parcel of the transfer decision process. CC, RP et al need to decide whether any player will deliver value equivalent to what his agent is demanding by way of salary and sign-on fee.

If they consider that these demands are not unrealistic given what the player
has been able to show at this level in recent seasons, if the salary demanded does not take up a disproportionate share of the club's overall salary budget and if they feel said player also has a potential sell-on value - then there should be nothing to prevent Hibs making an offer.

Certainly not some idealistic consideration of how other players in the squad feel about it.

Your probably right Beej but please dont misinterpet what I am saying as idealistic because it most certainly isnt. Its all to do with team dynamic and harmony.

basehibby
09-06-2011, 05:01 PM

A certain other Rooney gets something like 150K a week at Man U - probably c 100 times the wage of some of his younger colleagues - not heard anyone moaning about it - have you???

Kaiser1962
09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
A certain other Rooney gets something like 150K a week at Man U - probably c 100 times the wage of some of his younger colleagues - not heard anyone moaning about it - have you???

You're comparing Wayne with Adam?

Or us with Man U?

basehibby
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
You're comparing Wayne with Adam?

Or us with Man U?

Both - Hibs & Man U - both professional football clubs - Wayne and Adam Rooney both professional footballers - strikers who are highly rated within their respective leagues. Pretty reasonable comparison for the purposes of this argument I'd say.

TonyStokeprano
09-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I've heard from a few sources we offered deek a 60% wage drop to sign a new deal, have also heard we wont be offering anyone any more than £1500 per week plus bonuses.

stokesmessiah
09-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I've heard from a few sources we offered deek a 60% wage drop to sign a new deal, have also heard we wont be offering anyone any more than £1500 per week plus bonuses.

Prey do tell where you heard this guff???

basehibby
09-06-2011, 05:49 PM

:confused::confused::confused: That would put us on a par with ICT etc - wage bill c £2M rather than £4M - sounds like a plan for the 1st division to me :rolleyes:

MontrealHibs
09-06-2011, 06:10 PM
:confused::confused::confused: That would put us on a par with ICT etc - wage bill c £2M rather than £4M - sounds like a plan for the 1st division to me :rolleyes:

Sounds like p&&h.

TonyStokeprano
09-06-2011, 07:07 PM

Did i say that the players already here are on £1500 per week? I know de graafs is closer to £4000 per week. michael hart and ian murray also have good deals. our wage bill will be a lot less than 4million next season for the first team squad, we pay peanuts, the wages wont be as far from inverness wages as you think.