PDA

View Full Version : Riordan

DAVE1875
05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Mate just told me on Facebook that Aberdeen have offered Derek Riordan a contract

Fact or fib? :confused:

erin go bragh
05-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Mate just told me on Facebook that Aberdeen have offered Derek Riordan a contract

Might be fact but tbh deeks has already said he is fed up with the spl
ggtth

H18sry
05-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I would be disappointed if he went to Abersheep, :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-06-2011, 04:45 PM
If he is looking for a big payday, he isn't going to get it at Sheepcity.

EK_Hibs
05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Would be absolutely gutted if he ended up there...
My first thought was 'no chance would he sign for them' but my second thought was 'Craig Brown is a well respected manager & might be able to persuade him'.

I'll stick with my first thought.

IFONLY
05-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Must be true if your mate told you!!!!!!!!

Broken Gnome
05-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Horrible visions of Deek's putting his 30 goals and new found workrate down to Pa Broon's approach to management... ugh.

Unlikely I'd have thought. If there's no other interest though, he'll have to stay in the SPL. And I doubt he'd want to come crawling back to Hibs.

iwasthere1972
05-06-2011, 06:03 PM

He turned down a move to Russian on the grounds that it was too cold so he certainly won't want to move to Aberdeen.

IFONLY
05-06-2011, 06:05 PM
He is looking for more money than Hibs where offering, I doubt if Aberdeen could or would top the offer Hibs gave him.

Dr What If?
05-06-2011, 06:11 PM
I get the feeling Deeks is in for a wee shock. Football is not in a good state anywhere at the moment. He also has a bit of a reputation for being lazy and disruptive, also, not a kid any more and performances in the last year were not great.
I'm sure a few clubs will think he's worth a punt but they will not be willing to pay much more than what we will have offered.
I have no doubt that staying with us where he is loved would have been best for him, personally though, given the way he's been playing its probably best for Hibs that he leaves.

iwasthere1972
05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
According to Aberdeen Mad DR was at Musselburgh Racecourse when he said that he's received a very good offer from Aberdeen.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=4&fid=27&sty=2&act=1&mid=2117310636

Brooster
05-06-2011, 06:19 PM
He is looking for more money than Hibs where offering, I doubt if Aberdeen could or would top the offer Hibs gave him.

Lets be under no illusions here, Hibs offer shocking wages.

down-the-slope
05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
surely the loyal local lad who walked once....won't walk a second time just to stay in the boring SPL :rolleyes:

Money talks...Money talks..dirty cash.......

Andy74
05-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Rubbish.

Beefster
05-06-2011, 06:53 PM

And yet we've managed to attract players from the Old Firm (Riordan), Premiership (Stokes, Palsson), the Championship (Miller, Thornhill, Hart) and Eridivisie (de Graaf). Strange.

Spike Mandela
05-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Honestly I try hard to be positive but if this were true I would be absolutely gutted and would fiind it hard not to be very disillusioned with things going on at Hibs.

Best not to think about it.:wink:

steakbake
05-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Most football players are mercenaries.

Folk can sing all they like about xyz player being one of their own, but at the end of the day Derek Riordan is a footballer and it's a job, like like mine, like yours like any other job on the planet. He's in it to make a living, not to charm the likes of you and I.

If you get offered a job paying higher wages somewhere else or if you lose interest in the one you've got and want to move on, it'll happen if you want it to. When a good offer that suits what you want to do comes in, you'd be an idiot not to go for it.

leither17
05-06-2011, 07:36 PM

Folk can sing all they like about xyz player being one of their own, but at the end of the day Derek Riordan is a footballer and it's a job, like like mine, like yours like any other job on the planet. He's in it to make a living, not to charm the likes of you and I.

If you get offered a job paying higher wages somewhere else or if you lose interest in the one you've got and want to move on, it'll happen if you want it to. When a good offer that suits what you want to do comes in, you'd be an idiot not to go for it.
Exactly

JohnScott
05-06-2011, 07:45 PM

First prize for stating the bleeding obvious. But!? Job like ours? Your having a laugh? If Deeks had a real job he'd have been punted out the door ages ago.

California-Hibs
05-06-2011, 07:52 PM

HA, that's utter garbage i'm afraid! :agree:

steakbake
05-06-2011, 08:14 PM
First prize for stating the bleeding obvious. But!? Job like ours? Your having a laugh? If Deeks had a real job he'd have been punted out the door ages ago.

Glad I have stated the bleeding obvious, but there's way too many people who can't see it and are getting wound up about something which just happens and is as much out of the club's control as it is DR's decision.

It is a job - like any other job. Of course, there are differences with what you might do or what I do on a day-to-day basis and the level of pay. The fact of the matter is that a) he's employed by a company b) they expect him to be at certain places at certain times to c) perform what he is qualified or demonstrably skilled or required to do d) he gets paid for it.

It's a job, he owes us nothing, we certainly owe him nothing so we should stop getting so excited about it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Lets be under no illusions here, Hibs offer shocking wages.<br />
<br />
You read that in the Daily Record?

lucky
05-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Deek won't sign for the sheep. He was on £3/4k a week at Hibs . The sheep are skint and are of loading their big earners. If he wants to double his money then its outwith Scotland. Also can we stop this rubbish Hibs are poor payers. We have the 4th biggest budget in the SPL. We could not sign players from England if we paid less than £1500 per week.

Jonnyboy
05-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Deek won't sign for the sheep. He was on £3/4k a week at Hibs . The sheep are skint and are of loading their big earners. If he wants to double his money then its outwith Scotland. Also can we stop this rubbish Hibs are poor payers. We have the 4th biggest budget in the SPL. We could not sign players from England if we paid less than £1500 per week.

:agree: £10k per week at Blackpool might attract him :wink:

Wheat Hound
05-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Aye, whens that deal with Louis Almond happening?!

Wotherspiniesta
05-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Aye, whens that deal with Louis Almond happening?!

It's nut.

jdships
05-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Spot on !!
And why shouldn't they be given the wages on offer away from SPL.?
It's been like this since Hearts Bobby Flavell , in 1950, signed for Millionairos in Bogota and was payed £100/week ( plus £3000 signing on fee) when our wages were capped at £12 / £2 a point /£10 signing on fee
If we are honest most of us would do the same :greengrin

MrRobot
05-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Riordan I believe will only stay at Hibs if he is going to be in the SPL, otherwise he is off somewhere else. Having said that he is fed up with the SPL then I think we can rule out him signing again or for anybody else.

chrisski33
05-06-2011, 10:49 PM
My mate on facebook says its aload of rubbish ;-)

Spike Mandela
05-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Riordan I believe will only stay at Hibs if he is going to be in the SPL, otherwise he is off somewhere else. Having said that he is fed up with the SPL then I think we can rule out him signing again or for anybody else.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Derek-Riordan-urged-to-take.6780252.jp

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 12:06 AM

Houston seem pretty desperate to get Deeks, maybe they have heard that the oil rich place near Aberdeen are about to make a move for Deek. :greengrin

zlatan
06-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Chance to be one of the best players in the league whilst rubbing horns with the likes of Henry, Beckham and Marquez. I'd be all over the Texas move if I was Riordan.

Sylar
06-06-2011, 03:20 AM
Chance to be one of the best players in the league whilst rubbing horns with the likes of Henry, Beckham and Marquez. I'd be all over the Texas move if I was Riordan.

Sorry, but that comment is clearly made by someone who doesn't regularly watch the MLS.

Riordan is nowhere near the quality of some players who regularly feature over here and I don't just mean by comparison to the 3 you mention.

hibiedude
06-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Apart from the MLS offer there doesn’t seem to be too many options out there for Derek...I'm talking about the official offers and not the rumours on this site.

The Americans prefer a 6 month get out clause and the best quote of the lot happens to be true, R01rdan doesn’t like to stray far from home.

Derek’s next move is all about Money because at 28 when most players are at their peak he appears to have lost the sharpness needed to command a decent contract.

Going to Aberdeen is not the answer

Beefster
06-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Sorry, but that comment is clearly made by someone who doesn't regularly watch the MLS.

Riordan is nowhere near the quality of some players who regularly feature over here and I don't just mean by comparison to the 3 you mention.

The MLS is massively underestimated on here. Surprising considering how terrible the SPL is.

houston1875
06-06-2011, 09:28 AM
The MLS is massively underestimated on here. Surprising considering how terrible the SPL is.

MLS is poor,ive even seen Dynamo games over there and soz I'd rather watch SPl games,European ballers only go for 1 reason a better way of living,USA and Texas,especially,can be a great place to stay,great weather and aw that? Soz but a spent lotta time there and a missed the Scottish game badly!!

zlatan
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM

Apologies, I am basing that on the few MLS games I seen in Beckhams first season. There seemed to be a huge gulf between the big stars such as Landycakes :not worth and then the Chris Burchills of the league.

Steve20
06-06-2011, 10:44 AM
MLS is poor,ive even seen Dynamo games over there and soz I'd rather watch SPl games,European ballers only go for 1 reason a better way of living,USA and Texas,especially,can be a great place to stay,great weather and aw that? Soz but a spent lotta time there and a missed the Scottish game badly!!

Having watched a few MLS games, I have to disagree. The football is far better than the SPL.

GreenCastle
06-06-2011, 10:48 AM

MLS is better quality than the SPL - you just have to look at the level of players they have and some of the names.

Marquez / Henry would walk into SPL sides and that includes the Old Firm.

Riordan has never been near there level but from a professional move and the possible $ on offer - then he would be mad not to have a serious think about it.

The MLS is an up and coming league - everything the SPL isn't. Better crowds - better players coming through youth systems - new stadiums - long term sponsorship deals and even more competitive (although I'm not a huge fan of playoffs - they make it even more exciting).

Tell me how the SPL is better? The fact Rangers and Celtic have won the league for the last 26 years ? :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
06-06-2011, 11:11 AM

With all due respect ABSOLUTE TOSH.

He annual reports would be mixture of very good to must do better. No way would he have been punted. Deek has scored over 100 goals, delivered crosses corners and freekicks for I would guess the same number of assists, I can think of of several 100 players in the SPL that would be punted long before Deek was evening on a warning.

houston1875
06-06-2011, 12:38 PM
MLS is better quality than the SPL - you just have to look at the level of players they have and some of the names.

Marquez / Henry would walk into SPL sides and that includes the Old Firm.

Riordan has never been near there level but from a professional move and the possible $ on offer - then he would be mad not to have a serious think about it.

The MLS is an up and coming league - everything the SPL isn't. Better crowds - better players coming through youth systems - new stadiums - long term sponsorship deals and even more competitive (although I'm not a huge fan of playoffs - they make it even more exciting).

Tell me how the SPL is better? The fact Rangers and Celtic have won the league for the last 26 years ? :rolleyes:

MLS is pony And yes I'd much rather watch the SPL? The way it is the now I'd rather watch SPL instead of the EPL,but obviously you know a lot more about MLS than I do so I bow down to your knowledge of all things footy and ask for more from you on the subject of MLS and why it's a up and coming league? Cheers

Jim44
06-06-2011, 12:53 PM
The debate about the relative merits of the SPL and the MLS are irrelevant. Riordan should screw the nut and bite their hand off. I've been to Houston only once but it seemed a great place to live, especially for someone earning a load of cash for old rope and raising a young family.

Sylar
06-06-2011, 01:31 PM
MLS is pony And yes I'd much rather watch the SPL? The way it is the now I'd rather watch SPL instead of the EPL,but obviously you know a lot more about MLS than I do so I bow down to your knowledge of all things footy and ask for more from you on the subject of MLS and why it's a up and coming league? Cheers

So it's "pony", yet you know next to nothing about the league, other than a "few Houston games you've seen".

That would be like basing the quality of the SPL having watched Motherwell a few times this season.

Why the MLS is a better league would require a seperate thread - feel free to start one if you're really interested.

mickeythehibbee
06-06-2011, 01:37 PM

He annual reports would be mixture of very good to must do better. No way would he have been punted. Deek has scored over 100 goals, delivered crosses corners and freekicks for I would guess the same number of assists, I can think of of several 100 players in the SPL that would be punted long before Deek was evening on a warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_***FA

:greengrin

David@EasterRoad
06-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Think Deek would do pretty well if he played in the MLS, he would probably be at the top end of the goalscoring charts. Not having a pop at the MLS as it is a good league but Riordan has plenty ability. He would be an unknown over there which would allow him time and space to score the type of goals he used to score for Hibs. I saw Red bulls play in april and Luke Rodgers looked a top player but over here he was an average player in english lower leagues.

houston1875
06-06-2011, 02:07 PM
So it's "pony", yet you know next to nothing about the league, other than a "few Houston games you've seen".

That would be like basing the quality of the SPL having watched Motherwell a few times this season.

Why the MLS is a better league would require a seperate thread - feel free to start one if you're really interested.

Rofl

Just moved seats to the new east!! Happy days!!

Beefster
06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Rofl

That's him told.

LamontHFC©
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM

This statement just completely discounts your argument on everything you've said.

Obviously I'd rather watched Hibs over any league or game in the world, but the SPL over the EPL, come on mate.

Oh, and IMO the MLS is a better standard of the SPL. But I do think Deek would do well over there, as you are given much more space by defenders as a forward.

houston1875
06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
This statement just completely discounts your argument on everything you've said.

Obviously I'd rather watched Hibs over any league or game in the world, but the SPL over the EPL, come on mate.

Oh, and IMO the MLS is a better standard of the SPL. But I do think Deek would do well over there, as you are given much more space by defenders as a forward.

Better standard of the spl??I'd rather watched hibs?? Ps I'm no looking for a argument but proper English grammar plz,your English ain't the best plz help me out here..

ROFL

Seveno
06-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Yes, except we are talking history here. Seek uSed to light up ER but those days are gone and it is time he was as well.

The fact that he has not exactly been flooded with offers says it all.

GreenCastle
06-06-2011, 05:12 PM

It's pony ?

You would rather watch the SPL over the EPL....any Hibs game yes but the EPL is far better than the SPL.

Thanks for bowing down to my knowledge - I've already mentioned why it's a better league - crowds, $$ generated, sponsorship deals, number of youth coming through, International players who are a better standard of player and new modern stadia is the just the start.

Why is the SPL better than the EPL and MLS ? I am curious what your logic is ?

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Yes, except we are talking history here. Seek uSed to light up ER but those days are gone and it is time he was as well.

The fact that he has not exactly been flooded with offers says it all.

How do you know he hasn't.

Franck is God
06-06-2011, 05:53 PM
the offer that he seems to have been offered is a good one and if he does sign it he'll be asked to leave after 6 months anyway. The MLS might not be the most technically gifted league yet but as with all american sports it will be physically demanding and fitness and conditioning will be the highest priority with every side.

In my opinion he is not good enough to carry a side and does not have the work rate or attitude to give 100% for every minute of every game. He is not a team player, never has been and that will see him struggle wherever he goes and anyone expecting to see him become a success anywhere are as deluded as Riordan is.

Beefster
06-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Better standard of the spl??I'd rather watched hibs?? Ps I'm no looking for a argument but proper English grammar plz,your English ain't the best plz help me out here..

ROFL

SPL should be in capitals.

You only need one question mark at the end of a question.

'No' doesn't mean 'not'.

'Plz' isn't a word.

You should have used 'isn't' rather than 'ain't'.

You get the idea - people in glasshouses...

lyonhibs
06-06-2011, 06:10 PM

'No' doesn't mean 'not'.

'Plz' isn't a word.

Beat me to it!! :greengrin

If Riordan has received a serious offer on decent wages to go to the MLS, and turns it down to go to Aberdump, then he really is lacking in ambition. English speaking country, much better weather, better standard of football (probably) and a more open and competitive league (definitely).

Turning down Russia etc I can understand and sympathise with, but if he's not willing to leave the bubble of Scottish football at least once, then he's wasting his undoubted natural talent IMO.

DH1875
06-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Firstly I don't give a toss about the MLS :agree:.

Secondly I'll be very disappointed if he ends up at Utd or the sheep. I get that players move on, have to look to the future, chase the cash etc... but what kind of message does it send that these teams can offer him more in wages.

GreenCastle
06-06-2011, 07:11 PM

'No' doesn't mean 'not'.

'Plz' isn't a word.

:top marks

MrRobot
06-06-2011, 08:55 PM

IMO he should go. New start for him over there, probably be idolized and make a good bit of money. Plus America is an awesome country.

The whole 6 month clause works well for both aswell.

sahib
06-06-2011, 09:07 PM

No way!
Nobody in their right mind would pay £10K for a week in Blackpool. Even for full board for him and the family

Jonnyboy
06-06-2011, 09:27 PM
No way!
Nobody in their right mind would pay £10K for a week in Blackpool. Even for full board for him and the family

:greengrin

Inch Cabbage
06-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Of course the mls is a lot better than the spl! There is far more money and far more sponsorship in America! To argue against it is ludicrous we are one of the ****test professional leagues in Europe!

Jim44
06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Beat me to it!! :greengrin

If Riordan has received a serious offer on decent wages to go to the MLS, and turns it down to go to Aberdump, then he really is lacking in ambition. English speaking country, much better weather, better standard of football (probably) and a more open and competitive league (definitely).

Turning down Russia etc I can understand and sympathise with, but if he's not willing to leave the bubble of Scottish football at least once, then he's wasting his undoubted natural talent IMO.

If he goes to Aberdeen rather than stay at ER, it confirms that we are arguably a very small club in the process of downsizing.

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 10:32 PM
IMO he should go. New start for him over there, probably be idolized and make a good bit of money. Plus America is an awesome country.

The whole 6 month clause works well for both aswell.

I would disagree with that, i am sure Derek will be looking for security with a long term contract not some kind of trial period to see if he and his family settle in to there new life there, as that seems to be the problem, not his football ability.

ScottB
06-06-2011, 10:32 PM
If he goes to Aberdeen rather than stay at ER, it confirms that we are arguably a very small club in the process of downsizing.

Assuming we ever wanted to keep him in the first place.

Can't see him going to America, if he wouldn't go down South he aint going that far!

Jim44
06-06-2011, 10:36 PM

Can't see him going to America, if he wouldn't go down South he aint going that far!

If we didn't want to keep him, Calderwood is a bare-faced liar.

Judas Iscariot
06-06-2011, 10:45 PM

And more clueless than anyone thought before :taxi

IWasThere2016
06-06-2011, 10:46 PM

We offered Stevenson, Stack and Miller the same terms - and it has worked for 2 of the 3.

If DR is unattached in a month's time, I think Hibs will make him (a reduced) offer.

Points to note:

There's a recession on
Hibs are losing money
The East debt has added to our cost base
There's no sign of a big fee looming
STs will be down
The Board won't speculate on the team ..

We are downsizing.

Dunbar Hibee
06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I would disagree with that, i am sure Derek will be looking for security with a long term contract not some kind of trial period to see if he and his family settle in to there new life there, as that seems to be the problem, not his football ability.

True dat.

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 11:07 PM

I think CC wanted Derek to stay at Hibs. :aok:

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Dont know where the Aberdeen rumour is coming from, i really doubt that is where he will end up. :aok:

KWJ
07-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Of course the mls is a lot better than the spl! There is far more money and far more sponsorship in America! To argue against it is ludicrous we are one of the ****test professional leagues in Europe!

I've got to disagree. On a whole it may be better but it's pretty lopsided. The goals you see conceded there are so often more shambolic than us over the past 7 years.

They have some players who are far better than ours but even these players are past their peak. I'd sooner have the average SPL defender over the average MLS one and probably the average player too. Their top players go elsewhere to ply their trade and few of them do very well, not much better than those that come from the SPL.

I do think it would be a good move for Riordan though and that he could score a barrowload out there going by the defending and space he'd be afforded. He'd send some downtown for sure!

Judas Iscariot
07-06-2011, 08:28 AM
I think CC wanted Derek to stay at Hibs. :aok:

So it was the boards choice not to offer Derek a contract then?!

EK_Hibs
08-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Seems Watford are sniffing around Deeks now

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3626935/Watford-in-for-Derek-Riordan.html

GreenCastle
09-06-2011, 03:21 AM
I've got to disagree. On a whole it may be better but it's pretty lopsided. The goals you see conceded there are so often more shambolic than us over the past 7 years.

They have some players who are far better than ours but even these players are past their peak. I'd sooner have the average SPL defender over the average MLS one and probably the average player too. Their top players go elsewhere to ply their trade and few of them do very well, not much better than those that come from the SPL.

I do think it would be a good move for Riordan though and that he could score a barrowload out there going by the defending and space he'd be afforded. He'd send some downtown for sure!

The MLS has really improved over the last 5 years - that's the difference and where it is now. :agree:

The better American players are playing abroad in England and Europe but that is slowly changing as more $ is kept in the league.

Good move for Riordan for the $$ but I don't think he would score a barrowload - however I do believe he is a natural goalscorer and would probably get better service than at Hibs recently.

Riordan seems like he want's to stay local but is going to have to move - possibly down to England ?

KWJ
09-06-2011, 12:44 PM
The MLS has really improved over the last 5 years - that's the difference and where it is now. :agree:

The better American players are playing abroad in England and Europe but that is slowly changing as more $ is kept in the league.

Good move for Riordan for the $$ but I don't think he would score a barrowload - however I do believe he is a natural goalscorer and would probably get better service than at Hibs recently.

Riordan seems like he want's to stay local but is going to have to move - possibly down to England ?

I don't doubt that it's improved, some of the players there are testimony to that however when I see the highlights shows I've watched now and then over the past 3 years the defending at times is woeful. More so than here.

GreenPJ
09-06-2011, 12:47 PM
So it was the boards choice not to offer Derek a contract then?!

I thought he was offered a deal but the terms were not (to date) accepted.

Flo1898
10-06-2011, 08:28 AM

MLS has improved? Nobody is interested in that league, baseball, basketball and american football will always be no 1. football in america is as exciting as a chess match.

MontrealHibs
10-06-2011, 08:31 AM
We offered Stevenson, Stack and Miller the same terms - and it has worked for 2 of the 3.

If DR is unattached in a month's time, I think Hibs will make him (a reduced) offer.

Points to note:

There's a recession on
Hibs are losing money
The East debt has added to our cost base
There's no sign of a big fee looming
STs will be down
The Board won't speculate on the team ..

We are downsizing.

I agree with all of what you are saying TQM. The issue we have is that with garbage on the park all that will happen is that the turnover will reduce even more.

We need to make some signings that drive a shift in season ticket sales. Starting today with Adam Rooney.

basehibby
10-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I agree with all of what you are saying TQM. The issue we have is that with garbage on the park all that will happen is that the turnover will reduce even more.

We need to make some signings that drive a shift in season ticket sales. Starting today with Adam Rooney.

:agree: Bang on the money

Dalianwanda
10-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Should that not be that we hope would drive a shift in season tickets..In these times its not certain..

Saorsa
10-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Should that not be that we hope would drive a shift in season tickets..In these times its not certain.......but I reckon we can be fairly certain what will happen tae season ticket numbers if we dinnae

Judas Iscariot
10-06-2011, 09:15 AM
I thought he was offered a deal but the terms were not (to date) accepted.

Derek received NO offer from Hibs..

HibeeMassive
10-06-2011, 09:22 AM

However, they did speak about his future plans and both parties know exactly where each other stand currently.

If nothing comes up for Deek, then he still has options at ER is what I've been told.

Kojock
10-06-2011, 09:34 AM

I think its a fib, I dont really think you have a mate on Facebook...:wink:

Pretty Boy
10-06-2011, 09:42 AM

I'm not going to dispute that Hibs made no official offer to Riordan, after all you put no in capital letters so it must be true:wink: but that doesnt indicate that there wasn't discussion about a deal.

Hibs sit down with Derek and his representative(s) and say they are offering £2K a week plus bonuses, agent says they want £8k a week and know they can get it elsewhere, Hibs come back and say best we can do is £3K. That pretty much shows they are miles apart and a deal is unlikely so there is little point in Hibs officially offering a contract, it doesn't hoever show a manager or board that had no interest in keeping the player.

Of course in 4 weeks time if he has had no firm offer from elsewhere £2k a week at Hib might sound a bit more tempting for Derek.

Dalianwanda
10-06-2011, 09:45 AM
.....but I reckon we can be fairly certain what will happen tae season ticket numbers if we dinnae
Lot of bold there :wink:

Personally I would love to see us snap up someone who would pull in the crowds..But Im also in the boat that I would rather we spent within our means..Not splash out & hope it works as that could get us into bother..A few players in that can improve what we have (I have faith CC will do that) and blood a few youngsters (this worked in improving crowds Mowbrays days and we were skint then too)..Crowds will come if we can improve results bottom line. If we splash cash it may bump up crowds initially but again if we dont get the results that wont last..

I'm still optimistic CC will take us in the right direction in these challenging times

Kojock
10-06-2011, 09:49 AM

Bit harsh, maybe CC wants to keep him but the club/board dont.

Captain Trips
10-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Bit harsh, maybe CC wants to keep him but the club/board dont.

If thats the case then we really have serious problems down ER. If the board cant due to wages etc etc fair enough, if the board dont want then CC should resign as he should decide 100%.

GreenCastle
10-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't doubt that it's improved, some of the players there are testimony to that however when I see the highlights shows I've watched now and then over the past 3 years the defending at times is woeful. More so than here.

I watch both every week and the standard is better in MLS - not just equal - I actually think the SPL has less ball players and the technical aspect is struggling.

Been born in Scotland it pains me to say it but the quality is mince!

GreenCastle
10-06-2011, 11:48 AM
MLS has improved? Nobody is interested in that league, baseball, basketball and american football will always be no 1. football in america is as exciting as a chess match.

Well they have better crowds than the SPL and certain teams pull more than European teams?

Soccer is getting higher ratings on t.v than some of the sports mentioned - International games especially with USA.

USA had more supporters at South Africa than any other country outside the home nation - and they aren't exactly close...

More youth players than any other country in the world - your thoughts are way out dated.

Baldy Foghorn
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Will we though? Hertz have already shifted 10k, I believe we have only managed to shift 4-5k so far?

silverhibee
10-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Will we though? Hertz have already shifted 10k, I believe we have only managed to shift 4-5k so far?

Thats very alarming if true.

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2011, 01:12 PM

I think if we'd spend £7-8m a year on wages we too would be getting bigger crowds.

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 01:19 PM

but not really that surprising if the feeling amongst the Hibs support is accurately reflected on .net.

EK_Hibs
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Hertz have already shifted 10k

Says who???

MSK
10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Says who???Palazualos (sp?) & Bouzid ..prob more than 10k..

EK_Hibs
10-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Palazualos (sp?) & Bouzid ..prob more than 10k..

Thought he meant 10 thousand season tickets??

Future17
10-06-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Departing-Hibs-star-Riordan-aims.6782862.jp

During his break, he is likely to remain in the sights of Houston Dynamo, the MLS side who are desperate to land the Edinburgh-born striker. "They're like a dog with a bone – they won't go away," said the spokesman of the outfit's interest in the player. Riordan has so far rejected offers from the Texas club but may find a more lucrative contract on offer from European clubs. Turkish Super Liga side Eskisehirspor and Russian Premier team Volga find the former Scotland international an appealing prospect for a number of reasons.

"They want him because a) his wages are relatively low, b) there would be no transfer fee, and also because he's a player with great technical ability," said the player's spokesman."

MSK
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Says who???

Palazualos (sp?) & Bouzid ..prob more than 10k..

Thought he meant 10 thousand season tickets??Indeed he did :agree:..serves me right for not paying attention .. :wink:

Beefster
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM

But not surprising considering last season, the loss of some of our best players and the lack of activity at ER since the end of the season (Sproule excluded).

We're back to the days of Williamson but without the crop of superb youngsters coming through.

GreenCastle
10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
But not surprising considering last season, the loss of some of our best players and the lack of activity at ER since the end of the season (Sproule excluded).

We're back to the days of Williamson but without the crop of superb youngsters coming through.

:agree:

Willamson was forced to play the younger players though as we had no money. They were either going to sink or swim and nearly all swam and since have done well.

Booth was put in last season for similar reasons - who else plays left back ?

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Departing-Hibs-star-Riordan-aims.6782862.jp

I think the guy should get his erse over to Texas and enjoy some of the American hospitality. His friends / family can visit him. He can work on his tan.

If he wants somewhere a little more "European", he should try and contact New England Revolution and play in a part of the country that actually has four very distinct seasons.

Baldy Foghorn
10-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Says who???

Evening news

EK_Hibs
10-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Evening news

Sorry but have you got a link to this at all?

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-06-2011, 09:39 PM
STV saying that Cardiff City very much interested in Riordan. Given that his contract is up and he is a free agent, not really sure that it was appropriate to lead into the story with " over at Hibs".

1987kev
10-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Deeks should move to the championship 1 good season buys him a ticket into the premiership . Most championship clubs pay no bad wages then make your money in the prem. :wink:

DH1875
11-06-2011, 08:59 AM

So we're pretty much Donald Ducked then :panic:.

Baldy Foghorn
11-06-2011, 09:38 AM

I don't do links:rolleyes:, I read it when I bought the paper

WindyMiller
11-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Speculation?

http://sport.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Hearts-set-to-face-Robbo39s.6782870.jp

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
I think if we'd spend £7-8m a year on wages we too would be getting bigger crowds.

This season, when we were junk and Hearts going for 3rd, they averaged 2429 per game ,more than us.