PDA

View Full Version : Hibs close in on the signing of TWO strikers

Pages : 1 [2]

Spike Mandela
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
He didn't say that though.

He said he expects to hear back from two players that Hibs had done their homework on and made offers to.

Actual quote was.......

CC Quote.....We have made offers to them and I expect by the end of next week we will have an idea if they are happening or not.

So are they happening or not:confused:

Cabbage East
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
It's sad that the most exciting thing we have to cling on to is the hope that we sign Adam Rooney from Inverness.

Buy a season ticket the now aye? Bolt.

basehibby
10-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Is this not what John Boyle tried at Motherwell and it failed miserably. A better team getting better results will get bums on seats but you need money to get a better team and that's just not coming in at the moment. A real catch 22.

What John Boyle tried was basically slashing walk up prices IIRC - bear in mind though you are talking of a club with a much smaller catchment to call upon which is infested with glory hunting Celgers and Rantic followers.
I think ST sales could be boosted significantly with a bit more value add though. Currently, a ST holder saves on the price of approx 1 game (about 5%) if all games are attended. I think that a saving of about 25% would be much more attractive and would cause a lot of walk up fans to think seriously about splashing out on a ST. Another option would be to make ALL cup games part of the package for ST holders with no need for a cup top up.
Of course, these are only ideas which I THINK would work. Ultimately, the club would need to be sure of not losing money to make these ideas worthwhile.

As you rightly point out though, the surest way to boost attendances is to put a winning team on the park.

Conj
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Actual quote was.......

CC Quote.....We have made offers to them and I expect by the end of next week we will have an idea if they are happening or not.

So are they happening or not:confused:

Nothing to be confused about!!!

Just because you don't know it doesn't mean the club don't know and if they are happening there will still be a lot of paperwork to sort out.

CC said the club would have an idea if they were happening, he didn't say there would be a public announcement by the end of the week!!!!

Spike Mandela
10-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Nothing to be confused about!!!

Just because you don't know it doesn't mean the club don't know and if they are happening there will still be a lot of paperwork to sort out.

CC said the club would have an idea if they were happening, he didn't say there would be a public announcement by the end of the week!!!!

Ahhhh so the club know but chose not to tell us. That makes sense.

You may be right Conj and it is just a simple fact of crossing the t's and dotting the i's in terms of paperwork however that may also be an exercise in straw clutching by expectant fans.

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I want to crunch some numbers, does anyone know:
1. how many season tickets we COULD sell?
2. how many season tickets we typically sell?

Thanks!

stokesmessiah
10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Ahhhh so the club know but chose not to tell us. That makes sense.

You may be right Conj and it is just a simple fact of crossing the t's and dotting the i's in terms of paperwork however that may also be an exercise in straw clutching by expectant fans.

Yeah it does it happens all the time in fact !!!

I for one have always been happy with the way that Hibs conduct business. Would you rather they told you know and then a hitch happens before registering them with the SFA??? All that would do is make us look like idiots.

Spike Mandela
10-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeah it does it happens all the time in fact !!!

I for one have always been happy with the way that Hibs conduct business. Would you rather they told you know and then a hitch happens before registering them with the SFA??? All that would do is make us look like idiots.

The point is Stokes it wasn't a fan that mentioned "two strikers they were excited about and that they would know by the end of the week" it was the manager.:greengrin

Maybe CC has to learn the way Hibs conduct business.:wink:

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 03:55 PM
The point is Stokes it wasn't a fan that mentioned "two strikers they were excited about and that they would know by the end of the week" it was the manager.:greengrin

Maybe CC has to learn the way Hibs conduct business.:wink:

To be fair, maybe he expected to know something by now but something changed. I supposed Hibs could come out and say something like, "Unfortunately we have nothing new to report." which is a little redundant and wouldn't appease everyone anyway.

R'Albin
10-06-2011, 03:59 PM
If he doesn't know who he has spoken to, can he be sure that he is only speaking with clubs in England? He does say earlier in that article that Rooney is in talks with English clubs and that he has been honest / open with them, but does that really mean Hibs are out of the picture?

:agree:

Gmack7
10-06-2011, 04:00 PM
cmon guys the end o the week is sunday not today,keep the faith(till sunday then panic)

basehibby
10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I want to crunch some numbers, does anyone know:
1. how many season tickets we COULD sell?
2. how many season tickets we typically sell?

Thanks!

As far as I know, ST sales peaked a couple of seasons back at about 10,500. Thanks to the recesion AND the utter pish on display last term that has probably dropped back to around 7500 at a guess.

How many could be sold??? I suppose if we went out and signed Messi along with that other Rooney then you could probably pack the whole of ER with STs.

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
As far as I know, ST sales peaked a couple of seasons back at about 10,500. Thanks to the recesion AND the utter pish on display last term that has probably dropped back to around 7500 at a guess.

How many could be sold??? I suppose if we went out and signed Messi along with that other Rooney then you could probably pack the whole of ER with STs.

Thanks.

When I asked how many could be sold, I meant how many are up for sale at the beginning of each year, including renewals? I assume it's the capacity of Easter Road minus space for visiting fans.

Saorsa
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks.

When I asked how many could be sold, I meant how many are up for sale at the beginning of each year, including renewals? I assume it's the capacity of Easter Road minus space for visiting fans.I'm sure the is always a % kept back for our PATG supporters too

c31
10-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm sure the is always a % kept back for our PATG supporters too

If Rod could sell all the seats he will I'm sure, cash in the hand etc

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm sure the is always a % kept back for our PATG supporters too

If Rod could sell all the seats he will I'm sure, cash in the hand etc

I would hope so! It would be heady days indeed if the only way to get into ER was with your season ticket! It's a tough call because you don't want to price fans out of the game (not everyone can afford a season ticket - my assumption) but you can't save seats for people you don't know are coming IF there are other people in line to pay for that seat all season.

Saorsa
10-06-2011, 05:13 PM
If Rod could sell all the seats he will I'm sure, cash in the hand etcand lose the loyal PATG supporters in favour of ST holders who turn up when we're doing well? I dinnae think that would happen TBH...

....no even by the Tache (did I just say that :greengrin )

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
and lose the loyal PATG supporters in favour of ST holders who turn up when we're doing well? I dinnae think that would happen TBH...

....no even by the Tache (did I just say that :greengrin )

Unless I am misunderstanding you, that sounds backwards to me? Season ticket holders pay upfront. PATG turn up when they feel like it.

Saorsa
10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Unless I am misunderstanding you, that sounds backwards to me? Season ticket holders pay upfront. PATG turn up when they feel like it.You are There are a lot of fans that choose PATG who turn up every week, not just when they feel like it, that statement is a bit of an insult tae them IMO. Should they be excluded when we sell enough ST tae fill the ground then invited back when were pish and those extra season ticket holders have ****ed off again.

iwasthere1972
10-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Unless I am misunderstanding you, that sounds backwards to me? Season ticket holders pay upfront. PATG turn up when they feel like it.

Swansea City's Liberty Stadium holds 20,000. They've sold 16,000 to season ticket holders, 2000 seats are kept for away fans and the other 2,000 for home supporters PATG. Read similar on Bristol City messageboard.

Maybe that's the trend throughout the UK but I agree with you. Take the money now. I'm not a season ticket holder either but if the position was that you needed one to guarantee watching Hibs at home then I would buy one.

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 05:39 PM
You are There are a lot of fans that choose PATG who turn up every week, not just when they feel like it, that statement is a bit of an insult tae them IMO. Should they be excluded when we sell enough ST tae fill the ground then invited back when were pish and those extra season ticket holders have ****ed off again.

It should not be taken as an insult to anyone as I wasn't pointing any fingers. Not ALL PATG fans go to every game, some pick and choose and that much has been said by fans on these very forums.

I don't think that any category of fan should be excluded but I do believe that reserving seats for people who may or may not show up is a risk. When a season ticket holder doesn't show up there is an empty seat but it's been paid for. The same cannot be said about seats reserved for PATG fans who do not show up.

The point you are making applies equally to Season Ticket holders as it does PATG fans. Both types come and go as they please, as they should.

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Swansea City's Liberty Stadium holds 20,000. They've sold 16,000 to season ticket holders, 2000 seats are kept for away fans and the other 2,000 for home supporters PATG. Read similar on Bristol City messageboard.

Maybe that's the trend throughout the UK but I agree with you. Take the money now. I'm not a season ticket holder either but if the position was that you needed one to guarantee watching Hibs at home then I would buy one.

Agreed, although I would use kid gloves rather than saying "sod them". :)

If PATG fans are going to attend EVERY game anyway, how hard is it to just buy a season ticket instead? Seems to make sense to me. I appreciate that it's a larger outlay but from what I have read on here, there are payment plans in place so that would help, I would think?

iwasthere1972
10-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Agreed, although I would use kid gloves rather than saying "sod them". :)

If PATG fans are going to attend EVERY game anyway, how hard is it to just buy a season ticket instead? Seems to make sense to me. I appreciate that it's a larger outlay but from what I have read on here, there are payment plans in place so that would help, I would think?

You're correct and I have duly amended my post. Although it will still be shown in the quote by you. :wink:

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 05:51 PM
You're correct and I have duly amended my post. Although it will still be shown in the quote by you. :wink:

I've amended my post too. :)

iwasthere1972
10-06-2011, 05:59 PM
I've amended my post too. :)

Good man. I wouldn't want the lynch mob knocking on my door.

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Good man. I wouldn't want the lynch mob knocking on my door.

You don't need to worry about that, lynch mobs don't typically knock. ;)

Saorsa
10-06-2011, 06:14 PM
It should not be taken as an insult to anyone as I wasn't pointing any fingers. Not ALL PATG fans go to every game, some pick and choose and that much has been said by fans on these very forums.

I don't think that any category of fan should be excluded but I do believe that reserving seats for people who may or may not show up is a risk. When a season ticket holder doesn't show up there is an empty seat but it's been paid for. The same cannot be said about seats reserved for PATG fans who do not show up.

The point you are making applies equally to Season Ticket holders as it does PATG fans. Both types come and go as they please, as they should.Well we'll agree tae disagree again :wink: As far as I'm concerned there should always be a facility (there's that word again :greengrin ) for PATG supporters.

HibsMax
10-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Well we'll agree tae disagree again :wink: As far as I'm concerned there should always be a facility (theres' that word again :greengrin ) for PATG supporters.

Where's the disagree smilie? I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Something like this would obviously require a lot more thought but it would all depend on how many seats you're putting aside. 100? 200? 1000? And it would depend on how many empty seats there actually are. Although Hibs would want to make as much money as possible, perhaps they wouldn't be too upset if there was only, on average, 100 empty seats a game. Just saying that makes me want to reach for a bottle of pills. Wouldn't such a scenario be amazing? I don't think we need to worry about that quite yet though.

Maybe after next season though...........:wink:

EDIT: to be honest, if Hibs ever did get to the stage where they could sell out to season ticket holders, I imagine that many of those "new" season ticket holders will really just be PATG converts as opposed to glory hunters or fairweather fans.

Kaiser1962
10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Well we'll agree tae disagree again :wink: As far as I'm concerned there should always be a facility (there's that word again :greengrin ) for PATG supporters.

Is it not 10% or some such thing?

1987kev
10-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I think rooney and garry o but we should go and get clayton donaldson
back .

Fergus52
10-06-2011, 07:36 PM
I think rooney and garry o but we should go and get clayton donaldson
back .

unfortunately i doubt he'd want to come back :(.

Top goalscorer in english football (albeit in league 2) and in the form of his career. Why would we want to come back up here where as soon as he makes a mistake he'll be deemed as "not hibs class" and have abuse hurtled at him every home game.

1987kev
10-06-2011, 07:51 PM
unfortunately i doubt he'd want to come back :(.

Top goalscorer in english football (albeit in league 2) and in the form of his career. Why would we want to come back up here where as soon as he makes a mistake he'll be deemed as "not hibs class" and have abuse hurtled at him every home game.

He never got a chance last time who got rid of him was it hughes. If he came back played all season could easily b top scorer :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
He never got a chance last time who got rid of him was it hughes. If he came back played all season could easily b top scorer :greengrin

Donaldson and Curier up top :greengrin

ALF TUPPER
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
You don't need to worry about that, lynch mobs don't typically knock. ;)

KNOCK KNOCK !!! :devil:

:bye:

Spike Mandela
11-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Another one bites the dust..............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13738288.stm

weecounty hibby
11-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Spike old boy. You yourself said on another thread that we need to realise where Hibs is in the world football scale. We were never going to get this guy. Still you always were an optimist!

Spike Mandela
11-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Spike old boy. You yourself said on another thread that we need to realise where Hibs is in the world football scale. We were never going to get this guy. Still you always were an optimist!

Apparently he was on the radar at one point though S. Wonder how far down our list we will have to go:greengrin

scoopyboy
11-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Another on bites the dust..............

Wi some luck Kayal will tell him the old Cream Buns hate jews as well as catholics.

He should actually as if he signs for them on Kayal's recommendation all he
has done is strengthen his greatest rivals.

DaveF
11-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Exactly, and given that the article states "Clubs in Italy, Spain and Belgium are also tracking the player but the lure of Champions League football may give Rangers an advantage" I can't even begin to understand why we would even be considered as candidates.

scoopyboy
11-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Apparently he was on the radar at one point though S. Wonder how far down our list we will have to go:greengrin

Second list being constructed I would imagine.

weecounty hibby
11-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I fear that we will be on the outer limits of the radar before we find our signings. Hope not though. Glad Tade went to ICT though. Seriously I have seen him play twice and he was gash and a Raith ST colleague of mine just laughed at the thought of us signing him.

Was reminiscing about some old adventures on another thread!

At The Edge
11-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Another on bites the dust..............

was this guy seriously on CC's list? or is it just wishful thinking?
seems like hes a good player and the clubs linked to him are way above our station in terms of what they could offer him in terms of wages and career?

Just seems a bit odd thats all?

saying that though, i'm not criticising CC for aiming high if he was on his list and hopefully we'll get someone of the same ilk very soon.

:cgwa

MontrealHibs
11-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Well I saw Colin Calderwood this morning, he was buying a new pen and a very large notebook... I suspect he will be making a few more lists before we get Akpo Sodje again (he was about the fourth signing target in January!).

Saorsa
11-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Apparently he was on the radar at one point though S. Wonder how far down our list we will have to go:greengrin:greengrin

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/BotB.jpg

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Second list being constructed I would imagine.

I dont think it matters who we sign they are always only going to be recognised as 4th (at least) choice irrespective of who they are.

BEEJ
11-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Exactly, and given that the article states "Clubs in Italy, Spain and Belgium are also tracking the player but the lure of Champions League football may give Rangers an advantage" I can't even begin to understand why we would even be considered as candidates.
We have a terrific training facility at East Mains.

:eyes:

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Wonder what CC's opinion will be on our chances for next season now? We are going to be a force if we got these two targets. So what now??

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Wonder what CC's opinion will be on our chances for next season now? We are going to be a force if we got these two targets. So what now??

Did we not get them?

Shrekko
11-06-2011, 06:25 PM
At this point, it doesnt look great but then again nobody is sure how things are progressing.

What I find distasteful is the apparent glee in some people's postings because they think Hibs have failed. I wonder, if we did make a 'marquee' signing or 2, whether some folk would be happy or not.

The Falcon
11-06-2011, 06:34 PM
At this point, it doesnt look great but then again nobody is sure how things are progressing.

What I find distasteful is the apparent glee in some people's postings because they think Hibs have failed. I wonder, if we did make a 'marquee' signing or 2, whether some folk would be happy or not.

Nothing "apparent" about it mate. Seems to me they are still gutted because we didn't get relegated.

Bostonhibby
11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Where's the disagree smilie? I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Something like this would obviously require a lot more thought but it would all depend on how many seats you're putting aside. 100? 200? 1000? And it would depend on how many empty seats there actually are. Although Hibs would want to make as much money as possible, perhaps they wouldn't be too upset if there was only, on average, 100 empty seats a game. Just saying that makes me want to reach for a bottle of pills. Wouldn't such a scenario be amazing? I don't think we need to worry about that quite yet though.

Maybe after next season though...........:wink:

EDIT: to be honest, if Hibs ever did get to the stage where they could sell out to season ticket holders, I imagine that many of those "new" season ticket holders will really just be PATG converts as opposed to glory hunters or fairweather fans.

:confused: What about fans like yourself who might live too far away to get there every other week but otherwise may put more into the club than just the £ value of a ST every year? might have played a part, however small, in getting there but then cant walk up and pay to get in. Mind you it all sounds massively unlikely just now.

Wheat Hound
11-06-2011, 06:57 PM
So, those strikers linked to us thus far are:

Adam Rooney
Adam Le Fondre
GOC
Chris Porter
Phil Airey
Jeremie Aliadiare
Marlon Harewood
Rory McCallister
Tomer Hemed

Have I missed any? Will the 2 come from this list?

scoopyboy
11-06-2011, 07:03 PM
So, those strikers linked to us thus far are:

Adam Rooney
Adam Le Fondre
GOC
Chris Porter
Phil Airey
Jeremie Aliadiare
Marlon Harewood
Rory McCallister
Tomer Hemed

Have I missed any? Will the 2 come from this list?

You might as well add Nathan Tyson.

Kaiser1962
11-06-2011, 07:05 PM
You might as well add Nathan Tyson.

What about Tade? Is he not included cos we missed him? Who's 2nd choice after Tade then?

HibsMax
11-06-2011, 07:10 PM
:confused: What about fans like yourself who might live too far away to get there every other week but otherwise may put more into the club than just the £ value of a ST every year? might have played a part, however small, in getting there but then cant walk up and pay to get in. Mind you it all sounds massively unlikely just now.

It's a moot point really because it's unlikely that Hibs will be season ticket only anytime in the near future.

I have to deal with this pretty much all the time anyway. You can't just walk-up to a Sox, Celtics, Bruins or Pats game.....although you can take a chance and pay over the odds to a scalper outside the ground or use stubhub, ebay, etc. I'm not a season ticket holder for any of those sport because I can't get to all the games (Sox, Celtics or Bruins) and the Pats has something like a 10-year waiting list!! That doesn't mean I can't get to the games, I just have to be prepared to pay waaaay too much or hope I can get lucky.

eastmainsmsh
11-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Lumana lua lua has been released from the cypriot team he was with only 30 was a decent player :taxi:greengrin

Wheat Hound
11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Lumana lua lua has been released from the cypriot team he was with only 30 was a decent player :taxi:greengrin

Did we no have his 'light fingered' nephew on our books?

scoopyboy
11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Did we no have his 'light fingered' nephew on our books?

we did.

new malkyhib
11-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Nothing "apparent" about it mate. Seems to me they are still gutted because we didn't get relegated.

I thought you were leaving this board?

stokesmessiah
11-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Guys on bounce saying bbc sport scotland mentioned we have tabled offers for Porter & Rooney!!

frazeHFC
11-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Guys on bounce saying bbc sport scotland mentioned we have tabled offers for Porter & Rooney!!

We knew we had tabled a bid for Rooney in January, but hopefully it has developed to latter stages.

I would be delighted if we got these 2. :aok:

Springbank
12-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Those over the road in EH11 may not like it, but their best signing so far this window (Sutton) was the low-budget poor-man's replacement for Porter at Well not so long ago.

Would hopefully be a decent signing.

I'm still very much a GoC devotee, not that that influences anything. Just think that he would plunder hunnerz of goals in the weakest SPL (and there have been some weak SPLs)

Porter and GoC? Why not!

.Sean.
12-06-2011, 02:13 AM
we did.Yvan Tomatula. Whatever happened to him?

eastmainsmsh
12-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Yvan Tomatula. Whatever happened to him?

He is a Tudor Crisps rep :taxi

PaulSmith
12-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Those over the road in EH11 may not like it, but their best signing so far this window (Sutton) was the low-budget poor-man's replacement for Porter at Well not so long ago.

Would hopefully be a decent signing.

I'm still very much a GoC devotee, not that that influences anything. Just think that he would plunder hunnerz of goals in the weakest SPL (and there have been some weak SPLs)

Porter and GoC? Why not!

Porter looks set to sign for Chesterfield.

Another one to take off the rumour list.

Baldy Foghorn
12-06-2011, 09:33 AM

:confused::confused:

What a stupid comment, every fan is hurting at the moment, but I doubt there are any who are gutted we never got relegated.....

Maybe we are all gutted at how far we are falling from grace, we aint even mediocre at the moment......

stokesmessiah
12-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Where r u getting this?

truehibernian
12-06-2011, 09:52 AM

Chesterfield manager gave a fantastic, and somewhat refreshingly honest interview on Talksport this week which covered such things as football finances, fans expectations and relationships with the chairman and fans. It was remarkably similar to what I have been reading the last two weeks on here......

The jist was that he had a terrific relationship with his chairman because the chairman was always 100% up front and honest, even if it meant the manager had to go away and rethink his options in the transfer market. Basically he loved the fact that his chairman was honest with him and the fans in stating "we are getting crowds of 4,000, hence we are a club which simply cannot overspend and go beyond our budget". He is honest with the fans in this respect too. The owner has always tried to accommodate the manager and in some cases with his own cash. But he is of a mind that says 'this cannot continue or the club will die'.

In short, the Spireites fans are like Hibs fans, always wanting the club to splash the cash yet the board and manager are up front and honest saying 'we are trying really hard to spend your and the club's money wisely but we will not endanger the club by going badly into the red'.......as I said John Sheridan was really quite refreshing in his interview and came across as a manager who really did understand the harsh realities that clubs such as his (and ours) face.

We have known for years our boards philosophy, and whilst last season was poor, in general we have competed on the pitch and progressed well off it. The board have , for me, always been reasonably open about saying how our money is spent and reiterated we will not put the club into a poor financial footing again. That comes at a footballing cost in that we now know we cannot compete against other clubs (some around us) and down south. Again, only my opinion, but for Hibernian to progress I think we should be really investing heavily on a youth product, either attracting youth players from down south or others in Scotland (supplementing with some experience of course)........but our progress needs a sharp intake of realism and understanding of where we are on the football ladder. Missing out on the Rooney's or the Porter's doesn't make me lose any sleep whatsoever......I will always follow and support Hibs no matter what league and no matter who pulls on the strip. For me it's in the blood. I just know that players will come to Hibs because we are a good good club and that we will always try our hardest to compete.....may not be players that set heather on fire, but I am still one of the few it seems who is genuinely excited about the next two or three seasons if CC gets the time and we are all patient with it.

Ray_
12-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Chesterfield manager gave a fantastic, and somewhat refreshingly honest interview on Talksport this week which covered such things as football finances, fans expectations and relationships with the chairman and fans. It was remarkably similar to what I have been reading the last two weeks on here......

The jist was that he had a terrific relationship with his chairman because the chairman was always 100% up front and honest, even if it meant the manager had to go away and rethink his options in the transfer market. Basically he loved the fact that his chairman was honest with him and the fans in stating "we are getting crowds of 4,000, hence we are a club which simply cannot overspend and go beyond our budget". He is honest with the fans in this respect too. The owner has always tried to accommodate the manager and in some cases with his own cash. But he is of a mind that says 'this cannot continue or the club will die'.

In short, the Spireites fans are like Hibs fans, always wanting the club to splash the cash yet the board and manager are up front and honest saying 'we are trying really hard to spend your and the club's money wisely but we will not endanger the club by going badly into the red'.......as I said John Sheridan was really quite refreshing in his interview and came across as a manager who really did understand the harsh realities that clubs such as his (and ours) face.

We have known for years our boards philosophy, and whilst last season was poor, in general we have competed on the pitch and progressed well off it. The board have , for me, always been reasonably open about saying how our money is spent and reiterated we will not put the club into a poor financial footing again. That comes at a footballing cost in that we now know we cannot compete against other clubs (some around us) and down south. Again, only my opinion, but for Hibernian to progress I think we should be really investing heavily on a youth product, either attracting youth players from down south or others in Scotland (supplementing with some experience of course)........but our progress needs a sharp intake of realism and understanding of where we are on the football ladder. Missing out on the Rooney's or the Porter's doesn't make me lose any sleep whatsoever......I will always follow and support Hibs no matter what league and no matter who pulls on the strip. For me it's in the blood. I just know that players will come to Hibs because we are a good good club and that we will always try our hardest to compete.....may not be players that set heather on fire, but I am still one of the few it seems who is genuinely excited about the next two or three seasons if CC gets the time and we are all patient with it.

Despite what goes on, on here, I think most Hibs fans just want Hibs to end this notorious way of under achieving. As a club, with the potential fan base we have, we should be a main contender outside the old firm, frequently finishing in the top 3-4 & making a regular challenge in the cups, instead of that, performances over the last three years, if we were a racehorse, we would have been put down.

Andy74
12-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Despite what goes on, on here, I think most Hibs fans just want Hibs to end this notorious way of under achieving. As a club, with the potential fan base we have, we should be a main contender outside the old firm, frequently finishing in the top 3-4 & making a regular challenge in the cups, instead of that, performances over the last three years, if we were a racehorse, we would have been put down.

Two years ago we were fourth.

truehibernian
12-06-2011, 06:03 PM

That's very true Ray and I want Hibs to be up there each and every year too.

But racehorses require a nice wee horsebox, gallops, stables, vets bills, entry fees for races and a decent trainer. You don't see many chewing grass in an unploughed field in other words. But I agree if we were a racehorse we certainly wouldn't be competing in Grade 1's :greengrin

Hibs have now got everything you could possibly need off the park, it's now on it they need to show their mettle and get things right. Sadly we are in tough times financially and the whole SPL is in a bit of a state. Following Hibs is never easy but we are in a better position that most if I am being honest. Other sides are either over spending or relying on finance from their owners to keep them afloat. It will catch up with them eventually IMHO. Without player sales we could be in a stickier situation too so we are far from safe when it comes to balancing books each year. The fact that without player sales we would be in a very challenging state should really force some realism into the hearts and minds of fans.

As emotive as it can be supporting Hibs, I don't follow them solely for success. For me it was following family traditions, a time to have a beer and enjoy (or not) the football on a Saturday, and to then put the football world to rights and have some banter. Like I said earlier, even if Hibs were relegated all the way down to the East of Scotland leagues I would support them. I love the club......yes I want success and to win as many games as possible. But I never ever expect too much from them all things considered. I am just always glad they are there to support. And I don't want them ever being in a position where we are having to rally around and beg for money or help to keep us going. That's why I think the board should be given credit and the fans too. And I don't advocate spending money we don't have just to try and get 3rd or 4th either. We can do that without the need to overspend IMHO. Tony Mowbray's youngsters outplayed Burley's overpaid Hearts a number of times, got us into Europe and then won us a national cup (albeit with help from JC too)......so it can be done. It's finding the players and getting good scouting done and having a good manager at the helm. I think we have one in CC.

stantonhibby
12-06-2011, 06:16 PM
That's very true Ray and I want Hibs to be up there each and every year too.

But racehorses require a nice wee horsebox, gallops, stables, vets bills, entry fees for races and a decent trainer. You don't see many chewing grass in an unploughed field in other words. But I agree if we were a racehorse we certainly wouldn't be competing in Grade 1's :greengrin

Hibs have now got everything you could possibly need off the park, it's now on it they need to show their mettle and get things right. Sadly we are in tough times financially and the whole SPL is in a bit of a state. Following Hibs is never easy but we are in a better position that most if I am being honest. Other sides are either over spending or relying on finance from their owners to keep them afloat. It will catch up with them eventually IMHO. Without player sales we could be in a stickier situation too so we are far from safe when it comes to balancing books each year. The fact that without player sales we would be in a very challenging state should really force some realism into the hearts and minds of fans.

As emotive as it can be supporting Hibs, I don't follow them solely for success. For me it was following family traditions, a time to have a beer and enjoy (or not) the football on a Saturday, and to then put the football world to rights and have some banter. Like I said earlier, even if Hibs were relegated all the way down to the East of Scotland leagues I would support them. I love the club......yes I want success and to win as many games as possible. But I never ever expect too much from them all things considered. I am just always glad they are there to support. And I don't want them ever being in a position where we are having to rally around and beg for money or help to keep us going. That's why I think the board should be given credit and the fans too. And I don't advocate spending money we don't have just to try and get 3rd or 4th either. We can do that without the need to overspend IMHO. Tony Mowbray's youngsters outplayed Burley's overpaid Hearts a number of times, got us into Europe and then won us a national cup (albeit with help from JC too)......so it can be done. It's finding the players and getting good scouting done and having a good manager at the helm. I think we have one in CC.

:top marks

The Falcon
12-06-2011, 06:37 PM
:confused::confused:

What a stupid comment, every fan is hurting at the moment, but I doubt there are any who are gutted we never got relegated.....

Maybe we are all gutted at how far we are falling from grace, we aint even mediocre at the moment......

I think not. There were a whole raft of posters who barely posted at all during our winning run which took us clear of relegation, who were suddenly very vociferous in their condemnation of all things Hibs when that run came to an end.

Thats forgotten about. As is the fact that we are fourth overall when all SPL results are factored in. Folk seem to moan and criticise the board and moan about what they get paid. As long as STF thinks they are worth it then they'll still be there, rightly or wrongly. If people want to change that buy him out.

BEEJ
12-06-2011, 07:47 PM
As a club, with the potential fan base we have, we should be a main contender outside the old firm, frequently finishing in the top 3-4 & making a regular challenge in the cups, instead of that, performances over the last three years, if we were a racehorse, we would have been put down.

Andy, you are correct of course.

But in the full context of Ray's point we have in the last 10 years in the SPL finished:

01/02 10th
02/03 7th
03/04 8th
04/05 3rd
05/06 4th
06/07 6th
07/08 6th
08/09 6th
09/10 4th
10/11 10th

So in just 3 years out of the last 10 we have finished in the top 4. Why pick out 2009/10 in particular?

Andy74
12-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Andy, you are correct of course.

But in the full context of Ray's point we have in the last 10 years in the SPL finished:

01/02 10th
02/03 7th
03/04 8th
04/05 3rd
05/06 4th
06/07 6th
07/08 6th
08/09 6th
09/10 4th
10/11 10th

So in just 3 years out of the last 10 we have finished in the top 4. Why pick out 2009/10 in particular?

Ray said the minimum expectation should be challenging for 3rd/4th. He also said that, instead of that, our performances over the last 3 years would have seen us put down were we a horse.

The season before last, where we were 4th, was very much within the last 3 years which is why I mentioned it.

Alfred E Newman
12-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Last season we were close to being relegated.

Andy74
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Last season we were close to being relegated.

Not disputing that. Ray was talking about a period of 3 yrs. One of those we met the standard he was talking about. He was giving the impression we had failed for 3 yrs solid.

BEEJ
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Ray said the minimum expectation should be challenging for 3rd/4th. He also said that, instead of that, our performances over the last 3 years would have seen us put down were we a horse.

The season before last, where we were 4th, was very much within the last 3 years which is why I mentioned it.
OK.

I guess Ray was also factoring into the equation our dismal run in the cups over the last three seasons, on top of an average league finish of 6th / 7th.

Ray_
12-06-2011, 08:17 PM
OK.

I guess Ray was also factoring into the equation our dismal run in the cups over the last three seasons, on top of an average league finish of 6th / 7th..

Very true BEEJ & of course our dismal performances that season, even although we finished forth, we certainly wouldn't have done much to have the crowds flocking back to ER, which is THE key performance indicator.

CabbageBoy
12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Very true BEEJ & of course our dismal performances that season, even although we finished forth, we certainly wouldn't have done much to have the crowds flocking back to ER, which is THE key performance indicator.

We haven't consistently entertained since Collins was forced out

Peevemor
13-06-2011, 12:04 AM
We haven't consistently entertained since Collins was forced out

:confused:

moggie
13-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Are we still closing in ??

Saorsa
13-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Are we still closing in ??well we must be closer tae something than we were before :rolleyes: how close that is now or what exactly we are closing in on is another matter.

Spike Mandela
13-06-2011, 07:10 AM
well we must be closer tae something than we were before :rolleyes: how close that is now or what exactly we are closing in on is another matter.

We're circling like a hyena waiting on the pack of lions devouring the prey ready to pounce and pick off the last tit bits of the carcass.:devil:

Wilson
13-06-2011, 07:13 AM
We're circling like a hyena waiting on the pack of lions devouring the prey ready to pounce and pick off the last tit bits of the carcass.:devil:

Hyena? We wish!

Some fans have an unrealistic view of Hibs standing in the circle of life! :wink:

Andy74
13-06-2011, 08:26 AM

I think this is where the fans need to look at themeselves though.

The first 6 months or so under Hughes were not dismal, we've just got into the habit of moaning about everything if it isn't reminscent of the stuff people see when watching Barca.

We had the best defensive record for many decades up to Christmas, we had Zemmama and Miller on form, Riordan getting 15 or so goals form left midfield and Stokes amongst the top SPL scorers.

Sure, other teams had chances sometimes but to complain about a 3-0 win v St Johnstone like we did for example was just daft!

dangermouse
13-06-2011, 08:50 AM
What John Boyle tried was basically slashing walk up prices IIRC - bear in mind though you are talking of a club with a much smaller catchment to call upon which is infested with glory hunting Celgers and Rantic followers.
I think ST sales could be boosted significantly with a bit more value add though. Currently, a ST holder saves on the price of approx 1 game (about 5%) if all games are attended. I think that a saving of about 25% would be much more attractive and would cause a lot of walk up fans to think seriously about splashing out on a ST. Another option would be to make ALL cup games part of the package for ST holders with no need for a cup top up.
Of course, these are only ideas which I THINK would work. Ultimately, the club would need to be sure of not losing money to make these ideas worthwhile.

As you rightly point out though, the surest way to boost attendances is to put a winning team on the park.

They are this season.

Saorsa
13-06-2011, 08:59 AM
They are this season.They were available tae any one that paid up under the early bird scheme before the ridiculously early date of 1 April 2011, not tae any season ticket holder who paid after that.

Borderhibbie76
13-06-2011, 09:03 AM
They were available tae any one that paid up under the early bird scheme before the ridiculously early date of 1 April 2011, not tae any season ticket holder who paid after that.

If we don't hurry up and make some signings...a cup top-up will be the least of our concerns!!!
I am all for being positive when it comes to Hibs but I cannot help but we worried that the new season is less than 6 weeks away and our squad is putting it mildly a shambles!!!
Come on Hibs, give us some much needed good news this week!!!

:flag:

Ray_
13-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I think this is where the fans need to look at themeselves though.

The first 6 months or so under Hughes were not dismal, we've just got into the habit of moaning about everything if it isn't reminscent of the stuff people see when watching Barca.

We had the best defensive record for many decades up to Christmas, we had Zemmama and Miller on form, Riordan getting 15 or so goals form left midfield and Stokes amongst the top SPL scorers.

Sure, other teams had chances sometimes but to complain about a 3-0 win v St Johnstone like we did for example was just daft!

Andy you mention one game in a season that had the hibs fans pulling their hair out in sheer frustration. Many people have reasons why they no longer go, for me it is because it costs me an awful lot of money & time to go and watch Hibs & it got to the situation where far more often than not, I'd be left bored ridged with what was being passed as entertainment & I had enough, especially when I considered a lot of the clubs problems were self inflicted.

With Hibs current financial position & the general lack of interest, blaming the customers is not only foolish but a very dangerous position for any business to take.

Hibs fans have shown what can be achieved, with record amounts of income during Mowbray’s reign & I’ll reiterate what I said previously, the team manager’s position is the most important at the club, a concept that’s difficult to believe the club have held.

Godsahibby
13-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Another one of our so called potential targets; Nathan Tysonm, has signed for Derby.

delbert
13-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Can someone tell me what the official date is for leaving the signings so late that we can be absolutely sure of filling our first team with utter dross next season, I know it must be close, I'm just not sure of the exact date. This is now almost getting to the stage of mismanagement from all concerened at Easter Road, they want us to pay up front for our season tickets, but unlike some other clubs, we have'nt got a clue which players we will be watching, apart from Sproule, and with respect to Ivan, that one signing aint gonna get the season tickets rocketing towards 10,000, is it?

Surely Hibs must realise that in these extremely difficult financial times, a lot of people will have needed some tangible reason to renew, other than just blind faith, and the club as a whole certainly provided us with many tangible reasons last season to at least think about not renewing, with pathetic performances almost becoming what was expected by an increasingly frustrated and disillusioned support. Many will have now put that to the back of their minds and renewed, with little more than ever present hope as the main reason they did so, but from a purely business acumen point of view (and lets be honest, that what this board is always banging on about), it would appear to many that this close season the board has been asleep at the wheel. I very much doubt if we will have many more than 8000 season tickets sold this season. We know that money has been ringfenced for the manager to spend, but with the top wage at Easter Road having been cut again, what type of player do we seriously believe is going to be turning out for our first team next season. We obviously have time left, and there will be signings no doubt, but as to the quality of these players, I think we are in the realms of blind faith and hope again, and can only pray that CC manages to pull a few rabbits out of the hat, because at the moment with the exception of Sproule, we still have the nucleus of the guys who failed the club and its supporters so dismally last season, with one striker in place and no additions to a totally powderpuff defence and a midfield that was overrun and outworked time and time again last season. I wish I could be more positive, but I'm not, I despair at what has happened to the Hibees over the past 2 years, and the one thing I am confident in already is that we will be a bottom six club again next season. Oh and despite all that, GGTTH

Golden Bear
13-06-2011, 11:53 AM
The Board are Hibs supporters as well so we've got to assume that their best efforts are being concentrated on attracting quality players to the Club.

The lack of action so far is frustrating to say the least but for now I'll be patient and wait to see what materialises in the coming weeks.

GreenPJ
13-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Can someone tell me what the official date is for leaving the signings so late that we can be absolutely sure of filling our first team with utter dross next season, I know it must be close, I'm just not sure of the exact date. This is now almost getting to the stage of mismanagement from all concerened at Easter Road, they want us to pay up front for our season tickets, but unlike some other clubs, we have'nt got a clue which players we will be watching, apart from Sproule, and with respect to Ivan, that one signing aint gonna get the season tickets rocketing towards 10,000, is it?

Surely Hibs must realise that in these extremely difficult financial times, a lot of people will have needed some tangible reason to renew, other than just blind faith, and the club as a whole certainly provided us with many tangible reasons last season to at least think about not renewing, with pathetic performances almost becoming what was expected by an increasingly frustrated and disillusioned support. Many will have now put that to the back of their minds and renewed, with little more than ever present hope as the main reason they did so, but from a purely business acumen point of view (and lets be honest, that what this board is always banging on about), it would appear to many that this close season the board has been asleep at the wheel. I very much doubt if we will have many more than 8000 season tickets sold this season. We know that money has been ringfenced for the manager to spend, but with the top wage at Easter Road having been cut again, what type of player do we seriously believe is going to be turning out for our first team next season. We obviously have time left, and there will be signings no doubt, but as to the quality of these players, I think we are in the realms of blind faith and hope again, and can only pray that CC manages to pull a few rabbits out of the hat, because at the moment with the exception of Sproule, we still have the nucleus of the guys who failed the club and its supporters so dismally last season, with one striker in place and no additions to a totally powderpuff defence and a midfield that was overrun and outworked time and time again last season. I wish I could be more positive, but I'm not, I despair at what has happened to the Hibees over the past 2 years, and the one thing I am confident in already is that we will be a bottom six club again next season. Oh and despite all that, GGTTH

How many signings have been carried out by other SPL clubs that don't involve existing SPL players? Very few I would suggest, haven't seen Celtic or Rangers do anything other than sign on existing players or one lad on a pre-contract.

Admittedly I will be very disappointed if we only end up signing SPL crap but I hope that the delay is because we are actually look outside the SPL to see what talent we can bring in to improve us and ultimately that takes time and is harder due to the financials associated particularly with English football.

HibsMax
13-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Andy you mention one game in a season that had the hibs fans pulling their hair out in sheer frustration. Many people have reasons why they no longer go, for me it is because it costs me an awful lot of money & time to go and watch Hibs & it got to the situation where far more often than not, I'd be left bored ridged with what was being passed as entertainment & I had enough, especially when I considered a lot of the clubs problems were self inflicted.

With Hibs current financial position & the general lack of interest, blaming the customers is not only foolish but a very dangerous position for any business to take.

Hibs fans have shown what can be achieved, with record amounts of income during Mowbray’s reign & I’ll reiterate what I said previously, the team manager’s position is the most important at the club, a concept that’s difficult to believe the club have held.

I doubt the club are blaming the fans and even if they are sitting in their lair pissing and moaning about the drop in season ticket sales, I think it's unlikely that they would come out and publicly bite the hand that feeds them.

Fans blaming other fans is OK though. :)

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Poorer ST sales would mean more reliance on PATG sales to make up the short-fall and by definition, PATG take up is purely performance driven, hence more pressure on CC to deliver. Vicious circle right enough. Last time we were in this sort of position, it was the making of the team though. If we need to plug gaps with youngsters then so be it. It will show if the KT/Brown/Fletch/Deeks level of players was a fluke or a testament to what our much praised youth system can deliver.

dangermouse
13-06-2011, 02:24 PM
They were available tae any one that paid up under the early bird scheme before the ridiculously early date of 1 April 2011, not tae any season ticket holder who paid after that.

But they were available nonetheless, I would imagine as an incentive to invest in the team early.

What I don't understand is people who say they won't but their season ticket until they see who will be in the team, but I'd gauge most of them would renew anyway so why not pay up early and get the better deal? That would also provide the manager with more funds earlier on so he can target signings accordingly. We may miss out on a player because 100 folk refuse to renew until the last minute and by that time some other team has stepped in with a better offer.

Saorsa
13-06-2011, 02:55 PM
But they were available nonetheless, I would imagine as an incentive to invest in the team early.

What I don't understand is people who say they won't but their season ticket until they see who will be in the team, but I'd gauge most of them would renew anyway so why not pay up early and get the better deal? That would also provide the manager with more funds earlier on so he can target signings accordingly. We may miss out on a player because 100 folk refuse to renew until the last minute and by that time some other team has stepped in with a better offer.Maybe some folk just dinnae have the cash at the time? and maybe dinnae want tae use the payment plan but pay cash later. I personally dinnae like using payment plans, I like tae get it out the road in one go when I have it. (Probably as well I did pay up front as soon as they went on sale before that teams performances gave me any more reason no tae bother). The renewal time is getting ridiculous though IMO, I mind you used tae renew in June. Now it's March, what will it be next time, pay at Christmas for the following season?

Viva_Palmeiras
13-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Hyena? Yer havin a laff Shirley ;)

CallumLaidlaw
13-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Maybe some folk just dinnae have the cash at the time? and maybe dinnae want tae use the payment plan but pay cash later. I personally dinnae like using payment plans, I like tae get it out the road in one go when I have it. (Probably as well I did pay up front as soon as they went on sale before that teams performances gave me any more reason no tae bother). The renewal time is getting ridiculous though IMO, I mind you used tae renew in June. Now it's March, what will it be next time, pay at Christmas for the following season?

TBF, the earlier cut off date this year was to extend the payment plan to 11 payments instead of 10, to try and make it more affordable for folk.
I'm sure it would be long until the plan is a constant 12 month standing order tho.

Ernie Cobra
13-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Are we still closing in ??

whats french for cat?

HibsMax
13-06-2011, 08:50 PM
TBF, the earlier cut off date this year was to extend the payment plan to 11 payments instead of 10, to try and make it more affordable for folk.
I'm sure it would be long until the plan is a constant 12 month standing order tho.

So you're saying the club is getting it tight because they did something to try and make it easier for fans to get their hands on a season ticket by extending the plan from 10 months to 11 months? The nerve of some people. How dare they try and make it easier.....

R'Albin
13-06-2011, 09:28 PM
A bit off topic but has anyone heard anything about the strikers?:greengrin

steakbake
13-06-2011, 09:29 PM

No - not so far. There was a thread about it but can't see where it went...

HibsMax
13-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Last I heard, we were close. LOL.

Any second now.....

dangermouse
14-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Last I heard, we were close. LOL.

Any second now.....

Tick Tock :rolleyes:

Andy74
14-06-2011, 08:19 AM
I take it we are closing in in the style of a zombie attack?

Slow and ponderous but ultimatley we will get some poor victims that aren't fast enough.

GloryGlory
14-06-2011, 08:24 AM

Slow and ponderous but ultimatley we will get some poor victims that aren't fast enough.

Sums up exactly how we've played the last 18 months or so!!! :greengrin

alfie
14-06-2011, 08:31 AM

If that is the case then how slow must Sproule be these days!
:panic: :dizzy: