PDA

View Full Version : Potential Signings - Has anyone considered...

Gus Fring
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I know its a long shot but maybe, just maybe, the club is going to do what we've all wanted and splash the cash and actually buy a player or 2 instead of an out of contract player? Maybe the players Calderwood has identified are still under contract but he knows their likely to want to join us so he needs to wait?

I for one am getting bored of how many players we're supposedly "missing out on". As far as I'm concerned CC done a decent job in the january window I've no reason to believe he won't in this window??

jonny
04-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Can't see us spending any real money to buy players, if there's money available it may be used to pay good signing on fee's to make up for the lower wages players might get playing for Hibs as opposed to playing down south.
I agree CC did a reasonable job at the end of January to steady the ship and stave off a relegation dog fight - I'm not expecting any new activity until after the players/staff have had their summer break.

ScottB
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I know its a long shot but maybe, just maybe, the club is going to do what we've all wanted and splash the cash and actually buy a player or 2 instead of an out of contract player? Maybe the players Calderwood has identified are still under contract but he knows their likely to want to join us so he needs to wait?

I for one am getting bored of how many players we're supposedly "missing out on". As far as I'm concerned CC done a decent job in the january window I've no reason to believe he won't in this window??

Really?

I for one couldn't care less whether players cost money / are free / are found in a basket outside Rod's office.

In fact, I'd rather they were free, money not spent on fees can be used for wages.

As for us 'missing out' on the vast number of (mostly terrible) players posted up on here, for one thing it assumes that CC was ever interested in them. Those threads are nothing more than an excuse to moan.

500miles
04-06-2011, 12:57 PM
We should be biding our time at the moment, waiting for the chance to take a group of talented youngsters, and suppliment it with bought in talent. Right now, we'd just be buying in talent.

Start with a good team, and add a bit of cash, you have a chance of a great team. Start with a poor team, and add a bit of cash, you end up with a disappointing one. This is part of what happened with Yogi.

ScottB
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
We should be biding our time at the moment, waiting for the chance to take a group of talented youngsters, and suppliment it with bought in talent. Right now, we'd just be buying in talent.

Start with a good team, and add a bit of cash, you have a chance of a great team. Start with a poor team, and add a bit of cash, you end up with a disappointing one. This is part of what happened with Yogi.

Indeed.

If Mowbray had had the kind of budget Mixu or Hughes enjoyed, we'd have been a great side.

That's not to say we shouldn't be trying to add quality now, but the reason Mowbray had no cash was because McLeish spent the lot...

Kaiser1962
04-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Indeed.

If Mowbray had had the kind of budget Mixu or Hughes enjoyed, we'd have been a great side.

That's not to say we shouldn't be trying to add quality now, but the reason Mowbray had no cash was because McLeish spent the lot...

Did he not have that at Celtic?

Not having a go but merely highlighting the unpredictability of it all.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I am not getting anxious at all about the lack of signings, but there is a point to be made here. If we are signing players OOC, then we could have been speaking to them and getting the signed to a pre-, since the last window. If CC's targets are in that category, does this mean that they have been made an offer but knocked it back? If so, the won't be getting an other offer as we have stated our intent not to get involved as a means to apply leverage to T&C. So there is a chance that we are left looking like we are sifting through players that other teams don't want. Now I couldn't care how that looks to outsiders, but the support needs a shot in the arm.

ScottB
04-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Did he not have that at Celtic?

Not having a go but merely highlighting the unpredictability of it all.

Oh of course. Money is not the answer to all.

MyJo
04-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I didnt realise that we managed to sign stokes for half a packet of hubba-bubba and some panini stickers.

soda70
04-06-2011, 02:07 PM
IMO Hibs need to bring in a least 1 maybe 2 world class players, veterans who can pass there knowledge and experience to our young crop of talented players, there are players that would naturally have respect for being excellent professionals.

They would be players who want to give something back to football and not in it for the cash.

Bottom line I know is there any Players out there who would be prepared to do this for Hibs? Any thoughts on players who could do this for us?

jonny
04-06-2011, 03:05 PM
IMO Hibs need to bring in a least 1 maybe 2 world class players, veterans who can pass there knowledge and experience to our young crop of talented players, there are players that would naturally have respect for being excellent professionals.

They would be players who want to give something back to football and not in it for the cash.

Bottom line I know is there any Players out there who would be prepared to do this for Hibs? Any thoughts on players who could do this for us?

Robert Pires - 37, out of contract now, didnt have the legs for the EPL but no doubt he'd be a class act in the SPL

Martin Jorgensen - 35, 100 caps for Denmark, currently at Aarhus

Patrick Kluivert - 34, currently at Nijmegen as a coach, could be a player coach with the promise to sponsor him through all his badges.

Whether any of these players would even consider a move to the SPL is doubtful but I assume it's players like this that you are meaning. With the right scouting there may be a few gems to unearth that'd be willing to come to Hibs for a couple of years in exchange for support with their coaching certificates.

Leishy1995
04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
We shouldn't make it a Hibs version of a warchest, as already said, we need a couple of no nonsense veterens to command respect from players in order for them to develop, then a few others to make this club a football team.

Beefster
04-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Indeed.

The reason that we had no money during Williamson's and Mowbray's tenure was because Rodders, as MD, had spent too much money. McLeish couldn't 'spend' any money without Rodders' authorisation.

sahib
04-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Robert Pires - 37, out of contract now, didnt have the legs for the EPL but no doubt he'd be a class act in the SPL

Patrick Kluivert - 34, currently at Nijmegen as a coach, could be a player coach with the promise to sponsor him through all his badges.

Whether any of these players would even consider a move to the SPL is doubtful but I assume it's players like this that you are meaning. With the right scouting there may be a few gems to unearth that'd be willing to come to Hibs for a couple of years in exchange for support with their coaching certificates.

Risky. How many over 35s, have actually had a decent or even a full season in the SPL?

MyJo
04-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Risky. How many over 35s, have actually had a decent or even a full season in the SPL?

Davie Weir
Sauzee

eastmainsmsh
04-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Eirik Bakke

HibbyAndy
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Eirik Bakke

Didnt he play for Leeds in the 90's when he was about 35 ?

silverhibee
04-06-2011, 07:39 PM

David Weir would be a great signing for our young defence. :aok:

HibbyAndy
04-06-2011, 07:42 PM
David Weir would be a great signing for our young defence. :aok:

Hun tho.

Like Lexo the fans would never take to him.

silverhibee
04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Hun tho.

Like Lexo the fans would never take to him.

Fickle fans then Andy.

Weir could be our new assitant manager/player. A wealth of experience and would be a great role model for the young players coming through in to the team just now.

And he never gets sent off for strangling opposition players. :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
04-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Must. Not. Get. Involved. In. Conversation. About. Davie. Weir.

Ah, f*** it, I cannae dae it, Davie Weir is a f*****g ******!!!!!!!!!! :aok:

silverhibee
04-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Must. Not. Get. Involved. In. Conversation. About. Davie. Weir.

Ah, f*** it, I cannae dae it, Davie Weir is a f*****g ******!!!!!!!!!! :aok:

He may well be, but he would be a great addition to our defence. :aok:

3pm
04-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Based on the Aberdeen game, Mickey Weir would be a welcome addition!

Pedantic_Hibee
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM

I really, really, really want to agree with you, I really do.

But I just can't.

I'll support anyone in a Hibs jersey who tries a leg, but he'd had to go some way to convince me. He's an odious old man who's dirty tricks are used more often towards the end of his career to compromise for his decline in ability.

eastmainsmsh
04-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Didnt he play for Leeds in the 90's when he was about 35 ?

aye but he was in his early twentys think he was 22 when he joined leeds he is 33 now

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Based on the Aberdeen game, Mickey Weir would be a welcome addition!<br />
<br />
Based on that game Molly Weir would be welcome, even without being in Supergran mode.

Cameron1875
04-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Kluivert and Pires were finished a long long time ago.

SteveHFC
04-06-2011, 11:47 PM
1 Right Back
2 Big Center-Half's
1 CM
1 LM
2 or 3 Strikers

matty_f
05-06-2011, 02:24 AM
I am not getting anxious at all about the lack of signings, but there is a point to be made here. If we are signing players OOC, then we could have been speaking to them and getting the signed to a pre-, since the last window. If CC's targets are in that category, does this mean that they have been made an offer but knocked it back? If so, the won't be getting an other offer as we have stated our intent not to get involved as a means to apply leverage to T&C. So there is a chance that we are left looking like we are sifting through players that other teams don't want. Now I couldn't care how that looks to outsiders, but the support needs a shot in the arm.
Ivan sproule.

LancashireHibby
05-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Although I agree we probably need an old head or two, I'd like to think CC will be keeping an eye on the U21 Euros and try and loan one of them for a year to aid their development.