PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon centre mid

Cocaine&Caviar
03-06-2011, 11:03 PM
With Miller's departure, and the likes of Scott, Palsson and Murray being defensively minded central midfield players, do people think Wotherspoon coulld fill the void in the middle of the park in terms of driving forward and positive thinking?

With Ivan's arrival, he maay find his oppurtunities limited on the right, and his lack of pace may not be as obvious in a central position.

After seeing Thoornhill on numerous occasions, Im still a tad unsure of what sort of player he is tbh, and Stevenson isnt the answer to counter Miller's absence IMO.

stokesmessiah
03-06-2011, 11:13 PM
With Miller's departure, and the likes of Scott, Palsson and Murray being defensively minded central midfield players, do people think Wotherspoon coulld fill the void in the middle of the park in terms of driving forward and positive thinking?

With Ivan's arrival, he maay find his oppurtunities limited on the right, and his lack of pace may not be as obvious in a central position.

After seeing Thoornhill on numerous occasions, Im still a tad unsure of what sort of player he is tbh, and Stevenson isnt the answer to counter Miller's absence IMO.

Think he will be a big player for us next season !

Cocaine&Caviar
03-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Think he will be a big player for us next season !

What do you see his playing style to be? Ball winner? Playmaker? Box to box?

Bayern Bru
03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Towell's natural position is centre-mid, and he's looked useful the couple of times he's played there.
:hmmm:

Centre Hawf
03-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Towell's natural position is centre-mid, and he's looked useful the couple of times he's played there.
:hmmm:

Agree completely, if we can get him back. I think Thornhill should be given the "Play Maker" role that we slapped on Liam Miller. From what ive seen off him he can pick a pass and dribble pretty well, not frightened off a tackle either.

With Wotherspoon i think it is worth an attempt at putting him in the middle. He could be a world beater or a pile of garbage. We wont know until we try these things.

yekimevol
03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
i think spoony can be the playmaker that we need for next season someone to dictate play, switch the ball and play the killer ball

:hibees:hibees:hibees

Eire hibs
03-06-2011, 11:51 PM
With Wotherspoon i think it is worth an attempt at putting him in the middle. He could be a world beater or a pile of garbage. We wont know until we try these things.

Always thought he had potential in central midfield and would agree he's worth a run out there.

MountcastleHibs
04-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Am I the only one that hasn't ever really been that impressed with Spoony? I thought he was excellent in his first season when he broke into the team at right back, but since then I've never really been impressed.

He seems to me too weak to play in a central midfield position, however, with the right players in there such as Palsson to do the tough tackling, they may compliment each other.

Did he not play in central midfield for the 19s?

spike220
04-06-2011, 07:58 AM
I could imagine Wortherspoon in centre midfield quite easily.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Whereas we have a mix of skill and bite amongst our midfielders, I think we will a see a difference in Thornhill next season. He had a bit of a false start to his time at ER. As for Spoony, I have no doubts that he could play centre-mid but I would rather see a team where everyone is playing in their best/natural position, rather than just where they can play.

cad
04-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Am I the only one that hasn't ever really been that impressed with Spoony? I thought he was excellent in his first season when he broke into the team at right back, but since then I've never really been impressed.

He seems to me too weak to play in a central midfield position, however, with the right players in there such as Palsson to do the tough tackling, they may compliment each other.

Spoons has looked knackered for a good few months , a good rest and a central midfield challenge could be the trick to get him back to his best .

Spike Mandela
04-06-2011, 10:02 AM
What kind of midfielder is Welsh. Captain of the successful U19's so could be a big season for him.

Liam89
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
John Collins did say that he eventually expected spoony to play centre mid.

3pm
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
If we make the right signings, young David will be lucky to make the 1st eleven. 50 games (?) For Hibs and has shown little sign of improvement albeit I doubt that's just down to him.

I hate to criticise him but I'd struggle to name one outstanding attribute that he has. He doesn't have the ability or presence to play Centre Mid, Sproule will play on the right so that leaves right back. In my view, if we persist with Hanlon and Booth we need to compliment them with an experienced RB and CH so I therefore struggle to see how DW will play, never mind one of the most important positions on the pitch.

cad
04-06-2011, 10:15 AM
What kind of midfielder is Welsh. Captain of the successful U19's so could be a big season for him.

I hope Welsh fullfills his potential Spike so ,injury free would be a good start ,very highly rated so Im expecting great things this season .
Welsh needs to hit the ground running ,get his spot and keep it , hes only got a years contract so subs going to be of no use at all to him

silverhibee
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Wotherspoon has never been the same player since Yogi dropped him for that game against the huns at ibox, the one where he brought in Hogg to go to RB. :rolleyes:

silverhibee
04-06-2011, 11:13 AM
If we make the right signings, young David will be lucky to make the 1st eleven. 50 games (?) For Hibs and has shown little sign of improvement albeit I doubt that's just down to him.

I hate to criticise him but I'd struggle to name one outstanding attribute that he has. He doesn't have the ability or presence to play Centre Mid, Sproule will play on the right so that leaves right back. In my view, if we persist with Hanlon and Booth we need to compliment them with an experienced RB and CH so I therefore struggle to see how DW will play, never mind one of the most important positions on the pitch.

Hibs have an experienced RB, just a pity he is Tom Kite. :greengrin

lucky
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Im still not sure of him as a player but I certainly would not want us to pin our hopes on him bring the creativite source in the midfield. He is still young and may improve with age.

Mark79
04-06-2011, 12:30 PM
What do you see his playing style to be? Ball winner? Playmaker? Box to box?

We already have an outstanding box to box player in de graaf so can't see wotherspoon claiming that place. 

Stevie Reid
04-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Wotherspoon has never been the same player since Yogi dropped him for that game against the huns at ibox, the one where he brought in Hogg to go to RB. :rolleyes:

To be fair to Yogi, in the 1-1 game at Ibrox he moved Hogg to RB in place of Wotherspoon as Lafferty was causing us real problems in the air at the back post - no such difficulties after he brought Hogg in and we got a good point, so that was obviously in Yogi's mind when he picked the team for the next fixture. Our two performances at Ibrox in 2009-10 were good, and the 3-0 scoreline in the second game flattered Rangers immensely.

However, even if you do believe that to be the reason for Wotherspoon's dip in form, I don't believe it should be - if Wotherspoon can't handle the disappointment of being dropped from time to time, he's not cut out to be a footballer. Fernando Torres cost £50M and still had to deal with being dropped at Chelsea.

With regards to playing him in midfield, I've said on here before that I can see him playing behind the front two - he doesn't have the pace to play in wide areas but has superb skill and great passing and shooting ability with both feet, which I believe would cause teams major problems. He was hugely disappointing last season (who wasn't?) and next year is a big season for him.

DAVE1875
04-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd say Palsson is more a defensive midfielder, we put him and Spoony in the middle we could be looking at something like this:
LM: Galbraith
CM: Palsson (defensive minded ball winner)
CM: Wotherspoon (Attacking minded playmaker)
RM: De Graaf or Sproule

But that all depend who CC brings in over the summer, would be happier if we showed some signs of activity.

IWasThere2016
04-06-2011, 04:34 PM

I agree - and Hart ain't what two young CHs need!

Bobo
04-06-2011, 05:22 PM
At the present moment, Wotherspoon doesn't have the passing ability or decision making to be a midfield playmaker/general.

He has the potential to become a really good player and to make something of himself but is still a young lad who needs to learn a hell of a lot before I'd rely on him to manage the engine room and orchestrate the midfield.

IMO, we need an older experienced head to tie everything together, someone our younger players will look up to and respect .... we could do with another Sauzee to lead by example and set the standards. :sauzee:

Wotherspoon's time will come but he's not ready just yet.

Wotherspiniesta
05-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I've said it since the beginning, I think his best position would be as a centre midfielder, alongside a ball-winning type player. I don't think he has the pace to play out wide.

It was a while ago now, but I remember seeing him play in CM for Scotland u-19s away to England. He never misplaced a pass that day, his link up play was awesome and he got forward a lot.

Maybe it was watching Mixu playing without a midfield that season that had me comparing him to a young Scottish Iniesta (:greengrin) But there was definately potential there! :agree:

hibees707070
05-06-2011, 10:37 AM
He can't pass, scared to take people on, looks like he doesn't know what to do when he is on the ball. Should be nowhere near the 1st team!

Hamish
06-06-2011, 08:30 AM
I am hoping that the previous post is a wind-up

The problem with DW is that he can play in a number of positions. I think he could still have a future as a RB and that may be his long term position with us

IF we had to start the new season with what we have now, then Spoony I feel could play in the hole as they call it nowadays when we employ a 4-5-1, with perhaps Palsson sitting, Ivan RM, Scott or Thornhill as the ballwinner and maybe Danny G LM.

silverhibee
06-06-2011, 05:59 PM
He can't pass, scared to take people on, looks like he doesn't know what to do when he is on the ball. Should be nowhere near the 1st team!

A bit harsh.

Wotherspiniesta
06-06-2011, 06:25 PM
A bit harsh.

:agree:

Just silly really.

The problem is, that DW was doing so well at RB that people were saying he was "wasted" in that position and that he would be much more effective playing further forward. Yogi decides to play him at RM and his progression (and confidence) stagnated.

Maybe he would be better at RB?

But if he does play in midfield, he should be expected to weigh in with a few more goals. Infact that should apply to all of our midfield. Shockingly few goals scored by our midfielders last season.

RIP
07-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Poor David looked completeley lost at times last season. He is slow as a snail and although good at cutting inside hasn't the pace to go outside and round the full back.

His pathological refusal to track his man or tackle left Towell constantly exposed to a 2-on-1. Dickoh was often left to cover which dragged him wide. Under those circumstances Towell did very well - pity he went back to Celtic

Riordan tracked back and tackled more that D in the last few games of the season

At least when he played right back it looked like he knew what he was doing. He just looked completely out of sorts at right midfield