PDA

View Full Version : Hard Work Ahead

Don Giovanni
03-06-2011, 06:07 PM
There is no doubt that there has been a lot of negativity on .net of late and with the exception of Ivans return, the club have given us little reason to be positive.

Last season was dreadful. IMO Hibs were THE biggest underachievers last season. As such it is our squad which requires the biggest overhaul and its no wonder a few posters are disappointed with the lack of signings. It is an early start to the season next year. Pre-season must only be a couple of weeks away and whilst other clubs (who are in less need than our-sorry-selves) get their business done, we appear to be idle.

Moreover, we are losing quality from the squad. I won't get into the merits of Miller & Deeks abilities (or application) but given that we offered them deals it would seem CC wished to retain them. In that sense their departure is disappointing.

Obviously there will be signings before the window closes but if anyone could do with getting them in early its us (an unsettled squad, lots of young lads etc.). By the time the window closes we could have played 5 or 6 league games (and maybe a League Cup fixture too?) so I hope we're not left scrabbling around for the unwanted at the end of August.

At this moment in time the squad is so much poorer than at the same time last year.
CC has had since October to assess the squad and target new players.
Time to get a move on Hibs, there's plenty of work required.

I sincerely hope this is the nadir and that good news and good times are on the way.

GGTTH

Franck is God
03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
There is hard work ahead but the manager knows that, as a manager and club they have their targets and apart from probably knowing that he is looking to strengthen our attacking options that is all we know.

We have already signed one attacking player and I'm sure there will be more on the way.

The other teams that are signing players are signing replacements too, Well have brought in Higdon to replace Sutton, Hearts brought Sutton in most probably to replace Kyle, Grainger maybe to replace Wallace? and Hamill to replace Palazeuelos and in most cases it could be argued doing it with lesser players.

I wouldn't be upset if any of them had arrived at ER but I don't think many of them are better than the players we have just allowed to leave

Geo_1875
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree that there is a LOT of hard work to be done by our magaement team. However, I do not want the manager to go out and sign players just because they are available. They must be signed because they are better than what we already have. Apart from one of the hertz signings I don't think any of the recently released SPL players would do that.

MyJo
03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I hope we're not left scrabbling around for the unwanted at the end of August.

Yeah we need to get in there good and early like we did with Miller :agree:.......

whats that? Miller wasn't signed until after the transfer window shut? ****** off that cant be right as everybody knows you only pick up players that nobody else wants at the end of the transfer window.......... :grr:

what do you mean Bamba and Riordan were deadline day signings. :confused:

well the last quality player we signed was Stokes and we will have been in nice and early in the transfer window to get him..........whats that......a week before it shut, 1 week, that cant be right either.

aw screw this im away to find out how much cheaper it would be for a st johnstone season ticket.......petrie:taxi

BEEJ
03-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah we need to get in there good and early like we did with Miller :agree:.......
Or Trakys ...... no, wait!

whats that? Miller wasn't signed until after the transfer window shut? ****** off that cant be right as everybody knows you only pick up players that nobody else wants at the end of the transfer window.......... :grr:
No! Quite the opposite in fact. Take Abderouf Zarabi, for example ...........:Ummm:

what do you mean Bamba and Riordan were deadline day signings. :confused:
:aok: ABSOBLOODYLUTELY!!!! And Thomas Sowumni was signed on the 6th (yes the 6th) of February!! So, there!

Am I helping? :greengrin

Don Giovanni
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Yep, so as MyJo and BEEJ have demonstrated signings can be hit or miss regardless of what stage of the window they arrive.

What I'm trying to get at is the apparant lack of activity which is frustating so many.

We've got by far the biggest rebuilding job in the League over the shortest (ever?) close season. The squad is seriously lacking in quality at the moment. Its not just tinkering and the recruitment of a couple of last minute bargains.

The situation we find ourselves in has not come as a suprise. Indeed, there has been over 6months to assess weaknesses and identify targets.

I hope that with the end of the English season we might see some activity in the next week or so...

Cocaine&Caviar
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
GK: Stack, Brown

RB: Towell, Taggart
CB: Hanlon, Murray
CB: Ingmarsson, Stephens
LB: Booth, Stevenson

RM: Sproule, Wotherspoon
CM: Palsson, Scott
CM: McDonald, Thornhill
LM: Aluko, Galbraith

ST: Rooney, Griffiths (L)
ST: GOC, Sodje,

7 new faces, one on loan, one rerquiring a fee, and giving us a pretty decent looking squad. The likes of Horner, Smith, Welsh, Handling and Crawford all playing a part, and the likes of Hart, De Graff, Vaz Te, Dickoh, & Divis being punted.

Simple.

Spike Mandela
03-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Yep, so as MyJo and BEEJ have demonstrated signings can be hit or miss regardless of what stage of the window they arrive.

What I'm trying to get at is the apparant lack of activity which is frustating so many.

We've got by far the biggest rebuilding job in the League over the shortest (ever?) close season. The squad is seriously lacking in quality at the moment. Its not just tinkering and the recruitment of a couple of last minute bargains.

The situation we find ourselves in has not come as a suprise. Indeed, there has been over 6months to assess weaknesses and identify targets.

I hope that with the end of the English season we might see some activity in the next week or so...

This scenario is played out every season. Hibs are simply in no position to just go out and buy their first choice targets so they have to play the waiting game.

With other leagues starting later than ours I expect players will hold out to see the best deal they can get and it is very likely our best signing(s) may come several weeks into our new season.

We may get the odd bargain early, Sproule being this years example but if there is business in the next week or two I would be very(pleasantly) surprised if it was our 'marquee signing'.

Andy74
03-06-2011, 08:32 PM
This site becomes more of a caricature of itself all the time. Panicking about signings at the beginning of June. Vintage.

Spike Mandela
03-06-2011, 08:34 PM
This site becomes more of a caricature of itself all the time. Panicking about signings at the beginning of June. Vintage.

Truth of the matter is it doesn't matter when they are signed they just have to be decent.

snooky
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
This scenario is played out every season. Hibs are simply in no position to just go out and buy their first choice targets so they have to play the waiting game.

With other leagues starting later than ours I expect players will hold out to see the best deal they can get and it is very likely our best signing(s) may come several weeks into our new season.

We may get the odd bargain early, Sproule being this years example but if there is business in the next week or two I would be very(pleasantly) surprised if it was our 'marquee signing'.

:hmmm: I would have thought in today's market players would snap up any deal that was fair. I wouldn't like to be hanging on to the last minute to see if I had a job or not. Or, might be some clubs are offering deals that are no' fair. :cool2:

Franck Stanton
03-06-2011, 08:55 PM

7 new faces, one on loan, one rerquiring a fee, and giving us a pretty decent looking squad. The likes of Horner, Smith, Welsh, Handling and Crawford all playing a part, and the likes of Hart, De Graff, Vaz Te, Dickoh, & Divis being punted.

Simple.

I hope you are Colin Calderwood mate. This squad would do for me.

Saorsa
03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I hope you are Colin Calderwood mate. This squad would do for me.but I'm Rod Petrie and He's no getting all of them :no way:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/scrooge-1.gif http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/scrooge1-1.gif

The Falcon
03-06-2011, 09:11 PM
but I'm Rod Petrie and He's no getting all of them :no way:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/scrooge-1.gif http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/scrooge1-1.gif

Maybe you could do a lease thing with the club? If you buy the players and pay their wages then you can decide when to sell them on. You'll make an absilute fortune. It's obviously really easy to do.

R'Albin
03-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Simple.

Please don't tell me that is Gary McDonald:shocked:

woody47
03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
The hard work should start with double training sessions. Get them fit to keep running for the full 90 minutes and more. Watching some of them last season, they looked like they hadn't trained all week and just didn't have the stamina. When training is finished they then need to get down the gym pumping iron.
You just have to take guys like Darren Fletcher as an example. He wanted to play at the top so when his training finished, he didn't go down the bookies, play his xbox, go to the pub etc, he went to the gym. That is what our guys should be doing.

new malkyhib
03-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Calderwood talking about being "excited" IF he gets his two signings that he's alluding to...no business and deafening silence since...

Season ticket deadline for early renewals passed without a murmur of a decent sigining...

Players out the club, and the ones we want punted (Dickoh) still there with the spectre of the likes of him possibly still signing on again.

A wall of silence as usual from our inert Board.

Aye, "vintage" Hibs as per normal...

Cocaine&Caviar
03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Please don't tell me that is Gary McDonald:shocked:

Kevin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_McDonald_%28footballer_born_1988%29

R'Albin
04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Kevin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_McDonald_%28footballer_born_1988%29

Oh:greengrin

Then its a good team :agree: