PDA

View Full Version : Question Is it time to ditch the White sleeves?

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Every year when Hibs release the new home top there is usually a big debate about not messing with the traditional style, during which it is acknowledged by many posters that its difficult to do too much to the top because of the sleeves being white.

Bearing in mind that Hibs did not always have white sleeves and played in a plain green top I wondered how many fans would get bent out of shape if Hibs reverted to the pre white sleeved top.

Cant do a poll unfortunately, but wont mind if this is merged into one.

FWIW I wouldnt mind seeing them try it for a season as Arsenal did a couple of years ago.

Having said that I hated the Green shorts episode and would also like to see the socks with the white tops restored to them.

ScottB
02-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd like it if we (and suspect we may be) moved towards using the darker green colour.

An all green kit wouldn't bother me. Don't see the point in churning out a kit that looks more or less identical each year as it doesn't inspire me to buy it if that's the case.

R'Albin
02-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Every year when Hibs release the new home top there is usually a big debate about not messing with the traditional style, during which it is acknowledged by many posters that its difficult to do too much to the top because of the sleeves being white.

Bearing in mind that Hibs did not always have white sleeves and played in a plain green top I wondered how many fans would get bent out of shape if Hibs reverted to the pre white sleeved top.

FWIW I wouldnt mind seeing them try it for a season as Arsenal did a couple of years ago.

Having said that I hated the Green shorts episode and would also like to see the socks with the white tops restored to them.

Why not?

Personally I wouldn't. The club should stick to it's traditions IMO, although I wouldn't mind if they changed it one season or something.

J-C
02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Why not?

Personally I wouldn't. The club should stick to it's traditions IMO, although I wouldn't mind if they changed it one season or something.

The Hibs so called traditional strip didn't start till 1938.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/hibernian.htm

Keith_M
02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't be keen.

While it's true that Hibs haven't always had white sleeves, that has been the case since 1938, so there's no arguing that this is our traditional kit (73 years, after all).

Wasn't Arsenal's non white sleeve kit some kind of anniversary remembrance or something? Maybe 100 years since moving into Highbury? :dunno:

If we had something similar for one season to celebrate an anniversary, wearing the top we'd had when moving into ER for the first time or whatever, I wouldn't mind that. I don't think it's a good idea though just for the sake of changing the kit.

Stevie Reid
02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Perfectly happy for us to experiment with our strips.

R'Albin
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't be keen.

While it's true that Hibs haven't always had white sleeves, that has been the case since 1938, so there's no arguing that this is our traditional kit (73 years, after all).

Wasn't Arsenal's non white sleeve kit some kind of anniversary remembrance or something? Maybe 100 years since moving into Highbury? :dunno:

If we had something similar for one season to celebrate an anniversary, wearing the top we'd had when moving into ER for the first time or whatever, I wouldn't mind that. I don't think it's a good idea though just for the sake of changing the kit.

:agree:

By the way is there any way of buying kits from the 80's or 90's era? it was a bit before my time and it would be nice to have some old tops..

.Sean.
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Drop the white sleeves? Don't be ridiculous, it's what makes our kit so distinguishably ours.

Baader
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Why change it? Green with white sleeves is the best strip possible anyway!

:flag:

Bishop Hibee
02-06-2011, 03:52 PM
No

Peevemor
02-06-2011, 04:05 PM
No.

bournehibby
02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
No.

NO, NO, definitely NO !:bitchy:

bh

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
No

What are you trying to say?

:greengrin

DH1875
02-06-2011, 04:17 PM

By the way is there any way of buying kits from the 80's or 90's era? it was a bit before my time and it would be nice to have some old tops..

There's always some on ebay but you can also get them here;

http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/other-uk-clubs/scottish-clubs/hibernian.html?limit=50

not sure how good they are though.

As for dropping the white sleeves, not a chance :bitchy:.

down the slope
02-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Whatever we wore in 1902 !.

WeAreHibs
02-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Never! Call me an old romantic but I dont even like the variation of the new strip.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-06-2011, 04:27 PM
No. Never!

offshorehibby
02-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Burn the :halowitch:

Dan Sarf
02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(It's the best strip in the world.) :flag:

Hainan Hibs
02-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Yes. The all green number you can get on Toffs is very nice.

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Why not get rid of the white sleeves? In fact i'd get rid of the green too, give us something different for a change.

Bishop Hibee
02-06-2011, 05:36 PM
What are you trying to say?

:greengrin

If there is ever a time to ditch the white sleeves, it would be for a one off anniversary e.g. 150th anniversary of the club in 2025 with an all dark green top. We could do it for the 110th anniversary of our last Scottish Cup win:boo hoo:

Why not get rid of the white sleeves? In fact i'd get rid of the green too, give us something different for a change.

Maroon or Royal Blue :sick:

Dinkydoo
02-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Right!!!

Right, right, right, right, right, right, right. :grr:

Dirkster23
02-06-2011, 05:47 PM

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/hibernian.htm

That means it's been a tradition for 73 years now, lets keep it :agree:

iwasthere1972
02-06-2011, 05:50 PM

I would like them to go back to wearing a Guernsey for a top. How about this one?

http://www.guernseyjumpers.gg/images/zooms/STGVNSa.jpg

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2011, 06:11 PM
If there is ever a time to ditch the white sleeves, it would be for a one off anniversary e.g. 150th anniversary of the club in 2025 with an all dark green top. We could do it for the 110th anniversary of our last Scottish Cup win:boo hoo:

Maroon or Royal Blue :sick:

A nice burgundy or light blue would be ok imo. :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-06-2011, 06:16 PM
i would say that the first team top should always be an emerald green body and white sleeves. Round neck and the team badge over the heart. The only thing that should change is the logo of the sponsor and/or manufacturer. That should be the standard first team top every year. For the fashionistas, and the commercial aspects, have a second and a third top, and do what you like to them whenever you like.

Jonnyboy
02-06-2011, 07:03 PM
i would say that the first team top should always be an emerald green body and white sleeves. Round neck and the team badge over the heart. The only thing that should change is the logo of the sponsor and/or manufacturer. That should be the standard first team top every year. For the fashionistas, and the commercial aspects, have a second and a third top, and do what you like to them whenever you like.

This :agree:

Greentinted
02-06-2011, 07:20 PM
NO

blairwallace
02-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I think as long as we stay green, the kit designs are becoming more uninspiring and we may as well go for a slight change once and a while, just nothing too drastic! looking on the historical kits website previously posted, their 1883 kit had "HFC" over the front, anyone know why? :confused:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Tottenham_Hotspur/Tottenham_Hotspur.htm

Saorsa
02-06-2011, 07:25 PM
i would say that the first team top should always be an emerald green body and white sleeves. Round neck and the team badge over the heart. The only thing that should change is the logo of the sponsor and/or manufacturer. That should be the standard first team top every year. For the fashionistas, and the commercial aspects, have a second and a third top, and do what you like to them whenever you like.This :agree:

Jonnyboy
02-06-2011, 07:31 PM
I think as long as we stay green, the kit designs are becoming more uninspiring and we may as well go for a slight change once and a while, just nothing too drastic! looking on the historical kits website previously posted, their 1883 kit had "HFC" over the front, anyone know why? :confused:

From Wiki

The club was formed in 1882, as Hotspur F.C.

iwasthere1972
02-06-2011, 07:36 PM

They started of as Hotspur FC.

heretoday
02-06-2011, 08:02 PM
The white sleeves are the reason I started supporting Hibs in 1963.

They ditched them in the early 70s for the occasional game. That was ok but I wouldn't like it all the time.

Above all no green shorts please. I know we beat Real Madrid in them but just leave it at that!

The Harp
02-06-2011, 08:17 PM
There's some things in life that should never be tinkered with ... Hibs traditional green body with white sleeves is one of them.
Consistency in an age of change! :aok:

ginger_rice
02-06-2011, 08:59 PM
No

our now traditional look is one of the best in the World, I've lost count of the number of times I had one begged borrowed or stolen when I was at sea. I would often go ashore with a Hibs top on usually a Bukta type from the 70's and come back with Real, Barca etc fitba fans around the globe admire the look of our strip....pity the same is no longer true about our players.

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Burn the :halowitch:
:devil:

grantonhibee
03-06-2011, 09:02 AM
no , but a think our home top should have a more plain design resembling the top of early 70's

Hibernia Na Eir
03-06-2011, 09:35 AM
would look good to return to the Irish shirts of all green.

Keith_M
03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
would look good to return to the Irish shirts of all green.

Why?

There are loads of teams that play in plain green tops, our shirt stands out from the crowd. It's not even as if all green was our original top, it was white with a green harp, then hooped. A green shirt is merely the third style Hibs played in.

White: 1875 = 1 Year
Hoops: 1876 -9 = 3 years
Dark Green: 1879-1933 = 54 years
Emerald Green: 1933- 1938 = 5 years
With White sleeves: 1938 - = 73 years = TRADITIONAL & DISTINCTIVE

dangermouse
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Whatever we wore in 1902 !.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/images/hibernian-1902-b.gif

Septimus
04-06-2011, 05:49 AM
It is a little known fact that the white sleeves were introduced to celebrate my birth in Elsie Inglis Maternity Hospital. However, I give my full permission to change the strip to anything you fancy. It would be a pleasant breakthrough too if the club got a few players worthy of wearing a Hibs strip.

steakbake
04-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Seems daft to bin the thing that makes your team home colours distinctive. Why do that? What would it even achieve? Are Celtic going to ditch the hoops? Would killie bin the tesco look? Will rangers ever produce an away top which doesn't have a sash effect? So many questions.

surreyhibbie
04-06-2011, 10:46 AM
NO.

I don't mind tinkering with the collar and other details, but to me Hibs wear green with white sleeves.

No-one will ever change my mind, it's what they have always worn in my lifetime, it's unique and very smart.

Rarely buy replica shirts so changing them every year, or keeping them the same doesn't matter to me, although obviously it helps the club with income.

Mess with the away shirts all you like, but leave the home one alone please!

Lucius Apuleius
04-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Nay nay nay, a thousand times nay. The away one should be a reversal as well.

Good idea for the 150th anniversary. As I said to the Ginger one last night, I would take it a wee tad further and declare our strips as green and white hoops for this auspicious season. :greengrin

aberhibsfc
04-06-2011, 12:50 PM

I'm sorry, personally I like them and would like to stick with it.

I understand that they were not our original strip, but we've had them for some time, it's become traditional and people identify us with them.

How much more special could it be without them anyway, just sounds like someone finding excuses. I am sure there is plenty that can be done, they are supposed to be creative, arty, designers and producers. Just sounds like lack of ingenuity.

I might be own my on here, but I like the look of the new home strip and that maintains the white sleeve image.

Any word on the away strip, had heard it would be all black?

aberhibsfc
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Nay nay nay, a thousand times nay. The away one should be a reversal as well.

Good idea for the 150th anniversary. As I said to the Ginger one last night, I would take it a wee tad further and declare our strips as green and white hoops for this auspicious season. :greengrin

I've just realised I've hit 1,875 posts, it's very tempting to never post again. Dunno how long I can maintain that though.

archiebald
04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
It will be white flags we will need if we dont start getting a few players in ! :agree:
starting to get a bit worried.

Greentinted
04-06-2011, 02:38 PM

I've just realised I've hit 1,875 posts, it's very tempting to never post again. Dunno how long I can maintain that though.

Take a screen shot.

heretoday
04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
It is a little known fact that the white sleeves were introduced to celebrate my birth in Elsie Inglis Maternity Hospital. However, I give my full permission to change the strip to anything you fancy. It would be a pleasant breakthrough too if the club got a few players worthy of wearing a Hibs strip.

I thought it was to celebrate my birth in the same institution!

Sadly, people don't get born there now. In fact the very opposite is the case......