biggie1875
02-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Liam miller to join Perth glory in the a league .... So says the sun anyway

hibsbollah
02-06-2011, 07:17 AM
can we boo him again? :-)

Beefster
02-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Can't possibly be true. He's already signed on the dotted line for Hearts seventeen times since January.

biggie1875
02-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Can't possibly be true. He's already signed on the dotted line for Hearts seventeen times since January.

I was thinking the same but looks like we will need to boo someone else next season :wink:

Golden Bear
02-06-2011, 07:26 AM

Is that a fitba' team?

The name sounds more fitting to basketball or ice hockey which I just can't see the wee lamb being really suited to.

:wink:

happiehibbie
02-06-2011, 07:37 AM
I have it that hearts are between liam millar and or the guy from motherwell ( that was invovled in the betting scandel) I wont tell you who it was but if anyone will know he will

Aldo
02-06-2011, 08:06 AM
I have it that hearts are between liam millar and or the guy from motherwell ( that was invovled in the betting scandel) I wont tell you who it was but if anyone will know he will

Steve Jennings is the name your looking for mate.

Iain G
02-06-2011, 08:41 AM
can we boo him again? :-)

I can boo him next season.."Same old Aussies, always cheating..." :greengrin

Speedway
02-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Rest assured you'll get to boo Miller again next season.

Don Giovanni
02-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Aye, but what colour strip will he be wearing...?
:greengrin

zlatan
02-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Derek Rae tweeted a few weeks back suggesting Miller was going abroad. Given his time commentating on MLS stuff I just assumed he was off to America.

MrSmith
02-06-2011, 11:06 AM

Time to front up Speedy! Where is he going, us, them or other?

Houchy
02-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Was this the team that Robbie Fowler played for up until last season?

Big90inOz
02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
More the team that paid Robbie Fowler last season.

Poor poor league

scoopyboy
02-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Liam, Kenny, Lee or some other christian name?

Speedway
02-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Time to front up Speedy! Where is he going, us, them or other?

It appears to be us.

Liam, Kenny, Lee or some other christian name?

Wullie.

MrSmith
02-06-2011, 01:42 PM
It appears to be us.

Wullie.

Cool ta! Just hope hope its the wee man!?

darwenhibby
02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Does it no just get worse.

Now we canny even compete wi St Johnstone for a player.

Never really been a LM fan but this takes the mick.

Sort it out board:brickwall

Jim44
02-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Where does St Johnstone come into the equation?:confused:

Lucius Apuleius
02-06-2011, 02:22 PM

And are we even trying to compete with St Johnstone for him?

Sproule Three
02-06-2011, 02:29 PM
More the team that paid Robbie Fowler last season.

Poor poor league

From what I see not a hell of a lot worse than the SPL. Last years winners Brisbane would have pushed for 3rd in the SPL I reckon .
On the other hand Joe Keenan actually looked like a football player so maybe you're right :wink:

Caversham Green
02-06-2011, 02:30 PM

And are we even trying to compete with St Johnstone for him?

Perth.

Not sure about the Glory bit though.

Jim44
02-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Perth.

Not sure about the Glory bit though.

Am I missing something here? I thought this thread was about Miller going to Australia.

Caversham Green
02-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Am I missing something here? I thought this thread was about Miller going to Australia.

Aye, but where in Australia?

ScottB
02-06-2011, 02:37 PM

I suspect it was a joke based on the mention of Perth?

Jim44
02-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I suspect it was a joke based on the mention of Perth?

Irony without smillies can fall on deaf ears here. :greengrin

Don Giovanni
02-06-2011, 04:55 PM
It appears to be us.

Wullie.

Wullie Miller?
We do need a right back I suppose, but has he no' lost a yard o' pace since his Juteland days...!?

Lucius Apuleius
02-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Irony without smillies can fall on deaf ears here. :greengrin

:agree:

:greengrin

RMG_82
03-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Looking forward to seeing Liam play here locally in Western australia.

not sure how he will deal with playing in 30+ degree heat but be good for the A-league to have the calibre of player like Liam Miller playing in it.

He must be on the wages freed up by Robbie Fowlers departure.

In a strange twist of fate Perth Glory play Celtic here next month .

Barney McGrew
03-06-2011, 05:53 AM
SSN now reporting he's signed a two year deal in Oz

Viva_Palmeiras
03-06-2011, 06:54 AM
SSN now reporting he's signed a two year deal in Oz

So he'd rather go to the other side of the planet than sign for Hearts ;)
So are the "take it it leave it" offers left on the table or have expiry?

Beefster
03-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Official.

http://www.perthglory.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=39933

How could so many folk get the Hearts thing so spectacularly wrong?

Kaiser1962
03-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Official.

It a ****in mystery Beefster. I am absolutely stumped.

Should we boo him onto the plane and the guys in Oz can boo him off?

Good luck Liam.

Craig_in_Prague
03-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Everyone will be happy now I suppose.

Derek leaving too, folks must be delighted.

and IMHO, we continue to lose any bit of talent we have.

In recent times, Zouma, Bamba, Stokes, now Miller, Deeks.

The downward spiral continues!!

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-06-2011, 07:15 AM

I would agree although I think I'll wait and see who is brought in before I start wetting myself

down the slope
03-06-2011, 07:16 AM
No great loss methinks, on his day he would play for 45 minutes and that's it. If he is such a talent why is ending up in Oz which is the bin end of world football ?.

marinello59
03-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Good luck to him. A loss to Hibs and to the SPL where there is precious little genuine football talent.

MyJo
03-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Good luck to him, half decent player but never really hit the heights we all expected of him when he arrived.

Craig_in_Prague
03-06-2011, 07:28 AM
No great loss methinks, on his day he would play for 45 minutes and that's it. If he is such a talent why is ending up in Oz which is the bin end of world football ?.

More money, less apathy in the stands, nice country and new experience.

why not!

WindyMiller
03-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Good luck to him. A loss to Hibs and to the SPL where there is precious little genuine football talent.

I'm sure he could've stayed in the SPL if he wanted to, or an English club would have matched Perth's wages (if that's his motivation) if they thought him worth it.
I assume he's looking at the lifestyle.

:dunno:

marinello59
03-06-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm sure he could've stayed in the SPL if he wanted to, or an English club would have matched Perth's wages (if that's his motivation) if they thought him worth it.
I assume he's looking at the lifestyle.

:dunno:

And who can blame him.

Wilson
03-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Every player in the hibs team is culpable for the position we found ourselves in. Our bigger names every bit as guilty as most because we know what they can do.

I am not unhappy to see any of them go. Freshness in the squad is the order of the day and that extends to our big players.

The mistake wont be losing one player or another. It will be failing to act accordingly in recruiting replacements.

R'Albin
03-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Not really that bothered to be honest, was good in spells but was a luxury player, and far too inconsistent IMO.

Craig_in_Prague
03-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Every player in the hibs team is culpable for the position we found ourselves in. Our bigger names every bit as guilty as most because we know what they can do.

I am not unhappy to see any of them go. Freshness in the squad is the order of the day and that extends to our big players.

The mistake wont be losing one player or another. It will be failing to act accordingly in recruiting replacements.

And history tells us we aint very good at replacing quality.

marinello59
03-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Not really that bothered to be honest, was good in spells but was a luxury player, and far too inconsistent IMO.

Riordan has often described as a luxury player. As was Zemmama. Good riddance to them all, let's get some big strong physical players in. Oh joy.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2011, 08:32 AM
And history tells us we aint very good at replacing quality.

Replacing someone whose performances are no more than average shouldn't be too difficult, especially given Miller's wages to play with.

Baldy Foghorn
03-06-2011, 08:33 AM

why not!

He's been murder since january, won't be missed.......

Baldy Foghorn
03-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Why are you having a pop at the fans?

R'Albin
03-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Riordan has often described as a luxury player. As was Zemmama. Good riddance to them all, let's get some big strong physical players in. Oh joy.

I'm not saying we should just bring in strong physical players, I think Zemmama and Riordan were both really good players for Hibs.

Miller though has had about 5 good games in the last year or so.

Thecat23
03-06-2011, 08:44 AM
He's been murder since january, won't be missed.......

Liam Miller was a class player, and with a better midfiled would have flourished. Again another player with talent leaves. Hopefully CC has players in mind to come in and do a job.

Dirkster23
03-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Why does it always have to be a luxury player or a big strong physical player? Can we not just bring players in that do a job for the team? Is the signing of Sproule a sign that CC only wants to bring in big physical players?

marinello59
03-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm not saying we should just bring in strong physical players, I think Zemmama and Riordan were both great players for Hibs.

Miller though has had about 5 good games in the last year or so.

Aye, I know. It wasn't meant as a dig at you, more of a general whinge. I like to go in to full grumpy old man mode occasionally, self indulgent but kind of fun.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Liam Miller was a class player, and with a better midfiled would have flourished. Again another player with talent leaves. Hopefully CC has players in mind to come in and do a job.

Sorry I just don't buy it - a quality player will stand out in any team, not get dragged down. Manchester United, Leeds, Sunderland, QPR, Hibs, Perth Glory - that is a downwards trajectory, and there's a reason for that; Liam Miller just cannot produce the goods, despite his undoubted talent.

Maybe you can answer this, as no one else who is upset at Liam Miller leaving has managed to - how many match winning performances has he produced for Hibs in the last 2 years?

Speedway
03-06-2011, 08:49 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13639527.stm

He's gone.

Thecat23
03-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Sorry I just don't buy it - a quality player will stand out in any team, not get dragged down.

Maybe you can answer this, as no one else who is upset at Liam Miller leaving has managed to - how many match winning performances has he produced for Hibs in the last 2 years?

Not enough, but who has in that Hibs team?? He is a good player who i think we should have tried to keep. A class player won't always shine in a team, he's not had the chance to drive forward because of such a poor midfield we have had and he's been left to chase lost causes.

Speedway
03-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Not enough, but who has in that Hibs team?? He is a good player who i think we should have tried to keep. A class player won't always shine in a team, he's not had the chance to drive forward because of such a poor midfield we have had and he's been left to chase lost causes.

But we did try to keep him.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Not enough, so that is how many? I can't think of one (I didn't see his performance at Ibrox in the 3-0 win).

When Hibs sign a player of Miller's pedigree it is a marquee signing and one that is brought in to produce the goods 75% of the time and bring out the best in less cultured players around him, and most importantly, win matches for us - he hasn't delivered on any level, and has been an unmitigated failure.

Conjecture that he might dramatically turn things around if we manage to sign the right player to play alongside him is not in any way an argument for keeping him. For us to possibly get any better we MUST demand more from our top earners.

It's no coincidence that he's now in Perth - he's a millionaire whose performances at Hibs suggested that he wanted an easy life, and it seems like he willl get it now. Good luck to him, but I'm very glad he's no longer at Hibs.

We will do better with his wage.

truehibernian
03-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I personally think Liam was starting to enjoy his football under CC and getting forward a lot more. There is no doubt he still has some lovely touches and is a good footballer, but you did always have to question his heart in the tackle.

Sean Welsh extending his contract, if he keeps injury free, is an absolutely ideal replacement and it's now up to him to step up to the plate IMHO. Great wee player and has the skill level of Miller but more importantly the dig that LM didn't.

I was hearing whispers that we are after Gary Harkins. This could be a good move IMO as we do need a bit of a goal scoring threat from the midfield. They really do need to start chipping in with some goals and Harkins, from what I have heard, is certainly not a Division 1 player. Touch wood CC gets a few in who can offer the team some energy and excitement.

MyJo
03-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Why does it always have to be a luxury player or a big strong physical player? Can we not just bring players in that do a job for the team? Is the signing of Sproule a sign that CC only wants to bring in big physical players?

:agree: Defenders that can defend, midfielders that can create and strikers that can score. Once we are doing that then we can look to build in a bit of style and flair to the team but we need to get the basics right first.

Shrekko
03-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Everyone? Apart from you, you mean?

I guess you're the only one clever enough to be disappointed that decent players have left?

In saying that you actually sound delighted going by your last line.

I'd probably have preferred to keep him, but the deluded one's are the one's who think that Miller was even a semi consistent performer. The fact that such a 'talent' has been going downhill career-wise since his early 20's show's there's something missing and we all saw it when he was here, much as he produced some nice stuff at times.

Geo_1875
03-06-2011, 09:03 AM
SSN reporting former Celtc and ManU midfielder Miller signs 2 year deal in Oz.

Did he not used to play for Hibs?

c31
03-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I think he took a look at that horrendous new strip and Perth was as far as he could get away from it, joking aside, we are always losing all our top players we can all count more than a dozen in the last six years alone and replacing them with kids.

It’s a joke..................time for the fans to make our voices heard and not sit back and accept our players being sold at every turn. It's all very well having nice seats and very little debt but with a poor team at the end of the day what’s the point.

We need some good news and soon

Beefster
03-06-2011, 09:08 AM

I hate this "they're all pish so that excuses Miller / Riordan / whoever" argument. A quality player should stand out even more in a crap team. These guys were taking thousands out of the club every week so I expect more than 'not enough' good performances.

Hibs did try to keep Miller. Maybe the booing by idiots in our own support (and facilitated by Hibs fans spreading nonsense, including on here) was the final straw that forced him to look elsewhere?

MyJo
03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I think he took a look at that horrendous new strip and Perth was as far as he could get away from it, joking aside, we are always losing all our top players we can all count more than a dozen in the last six years alone and replacing them with kids.

It’s a joke..................time for the fans to make our voices heard and not sit back and accept our players being sold at every turn. It's all very well having nice seats and very little debt but with a poor team at the end of the day what’s the point.

I'm assuming your counting players like Bamba, Riordan, Stokes, Miller etc in those numbers?

I take it you dont see the irony in moaning about us selling players and not replacing them when these players that we're losing ARE replacements that were brought in :rolleyes:

Players are sold because we cant offer the wages even average players can earn elsewhere, replacements are brought in and hopefully they will do well for a few years and then be sold on, same with the youngsters getting a few good years out of them and then selling them on. Thats the way its got to work at our level.

Beefster
03-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Miller (and Riordan) was not sold, which sort of makes your rant redundant.

Craig_in_Prague
03-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Why are you having a pop at the fans?

Because the 2 players I mentioned have been ripped and slated on here for a good part of a year. So I assume many will be happy neither will wear a Hibs top again.

I am just miffed that we continue to see more quality going out the door than in, over the last 4 years. And any decent quality in the squad we have had over this period, get's slated.....

Bamba - not interested, bombscare, thinks he's too good for hibs, etc
Zouma - Wage thief, gave us little, etc
Stokes - Not good for the squad and dressing room
Deeks - Been pish for a year
Miller - Heart of a pea, not enough good games etc

I'm sorry but all we seem to do is LOSE good players and DO NOT bring in enough quality.
Hence, why we are utter tripe and other teams can't wait till they play us.

Sure, it's end of a terrible season and we all knew many players were leaving, both good and bad......
I'm just not holding my breathe we'll improve on the departed.

JimBHibees
03-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Official.

Because they were too thick to realise they were being wound up by Yam spin. :confused:

JimBHibees
03-06-2011, 09:15 AM

why not!

Especially if he has a young family, great move for him on a personal level I would have thought.

MSK
03-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I hate this "they're all pish so that excuses Miller / Riordan / whoever" argument. A quality player should stand out even more in a crap team. These guys were taking thousands out of the club every week so I expect more than 'not enough' good performances.

Hibs did try to keep Miller. Maybe the booing by idiots in our own support (and facilitated by Hibs fans spreading nonsense, including on here) was the final straw that forced him to look elsewhere?Or a decent package in a new country away from the tin pot SPL ..

Anyway ..im sure CC will have thought out a replacement ..

JimBHibees
03-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Because the 2 players I mentioned have been ripped and slated on here for a good part of a year. So I assume many will be happy neither will wear a Hibs top again.

I am just miffed that we continue to see more quality going out the door than in, over the last 4 years. And any decent quality in the squad we have had over this period, get's slated.....

I'm sorry but all we seem to do is LOSE good players and DO NOT bring in enough quality.

Sure, it's end of a terrible season and we all knew many players were leaving, both good and bad......

Fair point. Out of your list I think on this seasons form Deek, Miller and Zouma can be replaced relatively easily in Sproule plus for example Rooney and Stephen Hughes. Also need to replace Bamba and Stokes though.

Frazerbob
03-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Miller could easily have been a star at Hibs. He had the talent to control the midfield and he could have been the leader in the middle of the park. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he could easily have been our club captain.

HOWEVER, he was a bottler and seemed to be allergic to responsibility. A complete waste of a player who could have made so much more of his talent and not just during his time at Easter Road. Let's be honest, that is exactly why he ended up at Hibs in the first place.

The very fact that he has chosen a pleasant life style over working to make the most of his ability and the final few years of his career says it all for me. I'm sure he'll have a great time in Oz but when he's finally retired (as opposed to semi-retired as he will now be) and looks back on his career there will surely be some regrets.

No great loss!

Thecat23
03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Not enough, so that is how many? I can't think of one (I didn't see his performance at Ibrox in the 3-0 win).

When Hibs sign a player of Miller's pedigree it is a marquee signing and one that is brought in to produce the goods 75% of the time and bring out the best in less cultured players around him, and most importantly, win matches for us - he hasn't delivered on any level, and has been an unmitigated failure.

Conjecture that he might dramatically turn things around if we manage to sign the right player to play alongside him is not in any way an argument for keeping him. For us to possibly get any better we MUST demand more from our top earners.

It's no coincidence that he's now in Perth - he's a millionaire whose performances at Hibs suggested that he wanted an easy life, and it seems like he willl get it now. Good luck to him, but I'm very glad he's no longer at Hibs.

We will do better with his wage.

He scored the winner at Motherwell in which i thought he played very well just off the front two that day. I do agree he never done it nearly enough though. Just my opinion that i think Hibs should have tried to hold onto him. Just out of interest are you happy Deeks is away? Because he has been honking as well.

Baldy Foghorn
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry I just don't buy it - a quality player will stand out in any team, not get dragged down. Manchester United, Leeds, Sunderland, QPR, Hibs, Perth Glory - that is a downwards trajectory, and there's a reason for that; Liam Miller just cannot produce the goods, despite his undoubted talent.

Spot on Stevie, he has not produced the goods, end of

Baldy Foghorn
03-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Bamba was not interested wanted bigger and better things....
Zouma was out injured for good part, and his fancy tricks and flicks were not helpful whilst we had backs to the wall.
Deeks has been poor for a year.
Miller has been poor since January with the heart of a midges tit....

What exactly is your point?

Baldy Foghorn
03-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Miller could easily have been a star at Hibs. He had the talent to control the midfield and he could have been the leader in the middle of the park. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he could easily have been our club captain.

HOWEVER, he was a bottler and seemed to be allergic to responsibility. A complete waste of a player who could have made so much more of his talent and not just during his time at Easter Road. Let's be honest, that is exactly why he ended up at Hibs in the first place.

The very fact that he has chosen a pleasant life style over working to make the most of his ability and the final few years of his career says it all for me. I'm sure he'll have a great time in Oz but when he's finally retired (as opposed to semi-retired as he will now be) and looks back on his career there will surely be some regrets.

No great loss!

Sums it up for me, he was offered captaince but did not want it....Can't remember another player shirking out of so many challenges....

Caversham Green
03-06-2011, 09:33 AM

We 'brought in' every one of the players you mention and paid a transfer fee for all except Miller.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2011, 09:35 AM
He scored the winner at Motherwell in which i thought he played very well just off the front two that day. I do agree he never done it nearly enough though. Just my opinion that i think Hibs should have tried to hold onto him. Just out of interest are you happy Deeks is away? Because he has been honking as well.

I would have been perfectly happy had Deek stayed, but I'm not crying any tears over his departure - what's the point? Time to move on. No comparison between his and Liam Miller's contribution to the cause over the last 2 years though, Deek is miles ahead, despite being poor last season. Derek Riordan is a Hibs legend - Liam Miller has been one of the biggest disappointments ever in a Hibs jersey.

Hibs did try to hold onto Miller, it just seems that it was most likely on less money (though I can't know for sure) - I have no problem with that, he was not value for money, so if we were to keep him we needed to make sure that we got better value. The only way to guarantee that is to pay him less, because he certainly wasn't performing.

In all the Liam Miller threads no one has come up with a compelling argument as to why we should keep him, and you have managed to list one game where he put in a match winning performance. In short, in the last 2 years Liam Miller has proved that he is not good enough to justify a regular starting place at Hibs - so why so many people are upset at losing him is beyond me.

Craig_in_Prague
03-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Bamba was not interested wanted bigger and better things....
Zouma was out injured for good part, and his fancy tricks and flicks were not helpful whilst we had backs to the wall.
Deeks has been poor for a year.
Miller has been poor since January with the heart of a midges tit....

What exactly is your point?

think it's pretty clear.

Fans slate the only quality in the squad, they leave, few care...and in the mean time we don't bring anything better in and our squad becomes worse.

Won't bother posting on this again, you seem to be getting personal.

Baader
03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Would, on the whole, probably rather we could have held on to Miller.

He'll go down as someone who failed to live up to expectations and deliver on his undoubted ability while at Hibs though.

Andy74
03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Funny how by all accounts we have the worst squad of losers and bottle merchants ever to darken our door and yet when they leave then its a tragedy!

I'd have liked to have kept the likes of Miller and Riordan but as has been mentioned we've had them and still been crap.

Let's see what the squad looks like next year, if it gets better results I don't really care who the individuals are.

Part/Time Supporter
03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Would, on the whole, probably rather we could have held on to Miller.

He'll go down as someone who failed to live up to expectations and deliver on his undoubted ability while at Hibs though.

Which is true of pretty much every club he's been at.

Celtc dodged a bullet when he turned down their offer to sign for Man U.

BurghHibby
03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
It says a lot about Liam Miller that he has moved to a football backwater at the age of 30 when he should really be at his peak and dictating games.
No wonder the likes of Roy Keane, among others, had no time for him.

c31
03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Miller (and Riordan) was not sold, which sort of makes your rant redundant.

Not being able to keep them is the same thing, players who have the ability Riordan & Miller should want to be part of a big city team and we should be in a position to decide who we keep and not them. Players should want to come here and play but I’m afraid at this current time they don’t.

FFS it seems we are accepting being worse than Motherwell, St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock etc., are we ever going to keep enough good players to build a team and put in a challenge.

We are soft from top to bottom and our board is full off non achievers who worryingly lack ambition. Which is reflected by what we had to endure last season.

Andy74
03-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Not being able to keep them is the same thing, players who have the ability Riordan & Miller should want to be part of a big city team and we should be in a position to decide who we keep and not them. Players should want to come here and play but I’m afraid at this current time they don’t.

FFS it seems we are accepting being worse than Motherwell, St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock etc., are we ever going to keep enough good players to build a team and put in a challenge.

We are soft from top to bottom and our board is full off non achievers who worryingly lack ambition. Which is reflected by what we had to endure last season.

These players contributed to us being worse than Motherwell etc.

Perhaps you are showing a lack of ambition by wanting them kept here?

matty_f
03-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Funny how by all accounts we have the worst squad of losers and bottle merchants ever to darken our door and yet when they leave then its a tragedy!

I'd have liked to have kept the likes of Miller and Riordan but as has been mentioned we've had them and still been crap.

Let's see what the squad looks like next year, if it gets better results I don't really care who the individuals are.

:agree: I have to say I was disappointed when I saw that he'd officially signed for someone else, though that disappointment vanished when I thought back to the number of times last season where I posted that I couldn't care less who left from that entire team.

That team was one of the most disappointing sides I can ever remember watching Hibs put out. Look at what it's done to the moral of the support etc, so the more different this coming season's side is to last season's, the better IMHO.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
:agree: I have to say I was disappointed when I saw that he'd officially signed for someone else, though that disappointment vanished when I thought back to the number of times last season where I posted that I couldn't care less who left from that entire team.

That team was one of the most disappointing sides I can ever remember watching Hibs put out. Look at what it's done to the moral of the support etc, so the more different this coming season's side is to last season's, the better IMHO.

:agree:

Let's just look at the positives here - Miller is no loss and we now have a top wage available to bring in a quality playmaker. This should be exciting, not a reason for making crap excuses for why we should have held onto the biggest under performer in the whole squad.

aussie_hibee
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Miller will no doubt be a marquee signing and will probably get paid in the region of $500,000 a year!

houston1875
03-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Other clubs are signing folk left,right and centre,but we seem to be only club losing players??? WTF is going on!! Just renewed yesterday,thought things can only improve after seasons end,apparently not? New signings plz...Mr Calderwood and Co....hopefully we dont get punished by injuries and bans?
:flag:

Baldy Foghorn
03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
think it's pretty clear.

Fans slate the only quality in the squad, they leave, few care...and in the mean time we don't bring anything better in and our squad becomes worse.

Won't bother posting on this again, you seem to be getting personal.

I am hardly getting personal, just can't believe the melodrama on here when players leave, who let's be honest have not kicked a ball for us, and have been part of a team finishing in tenth place

Craig_in_Prague
03-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I am hardly getting personal, just can't believe the melodrama on here when players leave, who let's be honest have not kicked a ball for us, and have been part of a team finishing in tenth place

I liked him, so naturally dissapointed he's gone.
We finished 10th and have now lost our best players.

Of course, willing to give CC the chance to bring in other players and see how we look come end of July.

Baldy Foghorn
03-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Of course, willing to give CC the chance to bring in other players and see how we look come end of July.

Our "best" players contributed very little during last season.....

3pm
03-06-2011, 11:30 AM

That must have been a good day?!

SteveHFC
03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Good Luck to Him :aok:

The Tubs
03-06-2011, 11:35 AM

I think that's what Calderwood wants: space in the dressingroom for guys like Wotherspoon and Welsh to find their voices.

Before everyone would have been looking at the likes of Miller and Riordan for inspiration, now they'll have to find it themselves.

chrisski33
03-06-2011, 11:36 AM

dont see from last season how miller can be seen as one of our best players! perhaps he should have been but certainly wasnt.

hope it works out for him down under as im sure its a last move before he retires

Beefster
03-06-2011, 11:39 AM

What did Riordan and Miller do last season to justify offering them a pay rise or even a pay freeze? If they had stayed on Hibs' terms, I would have been happy enough.

Two of the top wages at the club can attract more effective players than they both were last season. As Andy said, we slaughter players when they are here and wail when they leave.

houston1875
03-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Are we gonna bring in replacements or are we gonna have to make do with what we got? Or are Hibs waiting to see how much ST cash they've got before breaking out the moo-lah?

GreenPJ
03-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Think Miller was talented although didn't show it enough but would have kept him on our terms but not to be.

No one cannot accuse it of being a proper clear-out (through choice or otherwise). CC has the opportunity no one else has had since probably Williamson in being able to select his own squad in a season and a half. He might not get much money to spend but its his job now to spend it wisely.

Golden Bear
03-06-2011, 11:57 AM
What did Riordan and Miller do last season to justify offering them a pay rise or even a pay freeze? If they had stayed on Hibs' terms, I would have been happy enough.

Two of the top wages at the club can attract more effective players than they both were last season. As Andy said, we slaughter players when they are here and wail when they leave.

Correct.

We carried too many passengers last season and the gruesome twosome were often the worst offenders.

It's time to move on.

Jim44
03-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Are we gonna bring in replacements or are we gonna have to make do with what we got? Or are Hibs waiting to see how much ST cash they've got before breaking out the moo-lah?

Making do with what we have is not an option. Although , amazingly, Calderwood thinks it is, the present squad is nowhere near good enough to avoid a relegation battle but I am continually told here that the squad is going to be significantly strengthened. I just hope Calderwood has read this as well.:greengrin

GreenPJ
03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Making do with what we have is not an option. Although , amazingly, Calderwood thinks it is, the present squad is nowhere near good enough to avoid a relegation battle but I am continually told here that the squad is going to be significantly strengthened. I just hope Calderwood has read this as well.:greengrin

To be fair, its the 3rd June and the manager (and possibly the CEO) are both on holiday.

steakbake
03-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Good Luck to Him :aok:

Yes, good luck to him. Good way to end your career - somewhere a bit warm and sunny for a couple of years!

Nice one.

Andy74
03-06-2011, 01:07 PM

What do you think? We're releasing a whole team of players and that'll be that? :confused:

Saorsa
03-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Are we gonna bring in replacements or are we gonna have to make do with what we got? Or are Hibs waiting to see how much ST cash they've got before breaking out the moo-lah?There'll be replacements, as few as possible and probably option 3,4 or 5 on the list of wanted players

plus a few right from the bottom of the barrel.

Spike Mandela
03-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Lest we forget:greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z5fgvap1sY

Hibs90
03-06-2011, 01:33 PM
**** him. *****bag anyway! :bye:

dangermouse
03-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I wonder how long into next season it will be before "we need a Riordan/Miller type player" threads start?

From the number of folk who are glad they have gone seeing their wishes come true I'll repeat what I said some months ago on another thread. Be careful what you wish for.

As an aside, I think we have a ready made replacement fro Miller in Thornhill.

Stevie Reid
03-06-2011, 01:50 PM
I wonder how long into next season it will be before "we need a Riordan/Miller type player" threads start?

From the number of folk who are glad they have gone seeing their wishes come true I'll repeat what I said some months ago on another thread. Be careful what you wish for.

Why are so many people offering us grim warnings that we may somehow miss a guy who offered us next to nothing in the last 2 years? How can we possibly miss his contribution?

If a player without Miller's pedigree and reputation (and wages) had been signed two years ago and offered as little as Miller has, there would be no one wanting him kept on.

We now have a big wage free, which means we have a great opportunity to bring in a quality player in a pivotal area in the team.

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2011, 03:24 PM
No exactly greetin' ma eyes oot at this news.

Good luck Liam, but lets face it since leaving the smellies to go to Man Utd LMs career has been on a downward spiral and his contribution ( or lack of it ) to the Hibs cause said everything about why its all been downhill since Manchester.

The skill of a top player with the heart and drive of a marshmallow.

Aldo
03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
There'll be replacements, as few as possible and probably option 3,4 or 5 on the list of wanted players

plus a few right from the bottom of the barrel.

J spot on mate. To make matters worse they will probably be deadline day signings ie very very last minute. I really do hope I am wrong on this one but with other teams signing and parading players I fear we are being left behind once again. We might only get the scrapings from the scrapings matey if we dont get the finger out. :greengrin

jdships
03-06-2011, 04:09 PM
dont see from last season how miller can be seen as one of our best players! perhaps he should have been but certainly wasnt.

hope it works out for him down under as im sure its a last move before he retires

Thought last season he was average at best
"hope it works out for him down under " Me too:agree:

Hakim Sar
03-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Chuffed that he is gone. This creativity thing with miller is a myth. Chicken hearted and a total passenger.

Good riddance.

iwasthere1972
03-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Good luck to him.

Mixed feelings about him going but he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire or played good enough to get 100% support from the fans so I won't be losing any sleep.

col02
03-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Would have been happy for him to remain at Hibs but all the best with his new club!

HibsMax
03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Other clubs are signing folk left,right and centre,but we seem to be only club losing players??? WTF is going on!! Just renewed yesterday,thought things can only improve after seasons end,apparently not? New signings plz...Mr Calderwood and Co....hopefully we dont get punished by injuries and bans?
:flag:
What has happened between yesterday and today to make you start having doubts that you didn't have before?

Just because other clubs are making signings doesn't mean that their forays into the market will be any more successful than our own.

HibsMax
03-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Did we not need a Riordan / Miller type player last season?

HibsMax
03-06-2011, 05:25 PM
J spot on mate. To make matters worse they will probably be deadline day signings ie very very last minute. I really do hope I am wrong on this one but with other teams signing and parading players I fear we are being left behind once again. We might only get the scrapings from the scrapings matey if we dont get the finger out. :greengrin

I think you meant to say, "To look at things more pessimistically...". We have no idea when any deals will be struck and to assume they will be at the very end of the window is nothing more than negative speculation.

I think there are probably a plethora of Hibs-class players out there around the country and I doubt we'll end up scraping the barrel.....but make no mistake, we're not signing Messi.

sahib
03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Why are so many people offering us grim warnings that we may somehow miss a guy who offered us next to nothing in the last 2 years? How can we possibly miss his contribution?

If a player without Miller's pedigree and reputation (and wages) had been signed two years ago and offered as little as Miller has, there would be no one wanting him kept on.

We now have a big wage free, which means we have a great opportunity to bring in a quality player in a pivotal area in the team.

Maybe, without the weight of expectation that comes with said P&R, he might have been judged as more of a success.

houston1875
03-06-2011, 05:30 PM
What do you think? We're releasing a whole team of players and that'll be that? :confused:

A chuffing hope not..

Aldo
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
TBH Miller and Riordan are both quality players but have shown very little this season. Miller inparticular should be running the MF and showing the quality he has.

Sad to see both go but its onwards and upwards and hopefully CC will bring a decent signings in to replace (or make us forgot) about the ones we have lost.

Beefster
03-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Miller's done the dirty oan us? Ah've no been so depressed since the time that Davie Farrell left.

7Hero
03-06-2011, 06:10 PM
its not so much how good or bad miller was its how much his salary was and if hibs (unlikely i know !) spend same amount of money on a replacement..

Not looking good i am afraid...

3pm
03-06-2011, 06:29 PM
its not so much how good or bad miller was its how much his salary was and if hibs (unlikely i know !) spend same amount of money on a replacement..

Liam Miller was drivel. I hope we don't spend the same on wages if that's what we'll get.

Broken Gnome
03-06-2011, 06:42 PM
People might not rate Petrie or Calderwood, but they're not idiots. It's actually in their own interests to do well. Therefore Colin Calderwood is not going to let half his squad disappear and sign a few numpties on no more a thousand pounds a week. Ok? And Rod Petrie is not going to see all those wages being freed up and think of nothing more than a new jacuzzi for himself rather than a chance to get new players and get the ground full again. Ok?

You'd think we've naturally stumbled on the most idiotic and brainless set of football managers and executives possible by the way people rant on. Funnily enough, we haven't. Everything will be in place, and I would hazard a guess there has been contact made with realistic signings that are a lot better than Frazer Wright or Kieran Agard or whoever.

Calm the **** down everyone. CC hasn't buggered off on holiday and forgotten that he's only got about four players left when he returns.

HibsMax
03-06-2011, 06:44 PM

This is the sort of statement that irks me the most. You're post implies that Hibs won't spend the Miller money on his replacement. Based on what? Can you reveal something that we don't know re: how much money Hibs are going to spend / re-invest?

I'm not saying that you won't be proved right but it's pure speculation. I can't speak for anyone else but I personally don't understand why people choose to speculate negatively rather than positively? Why not at least wait and see what Hibs do before speculating about the future? The difference as I see it is that I would rather assume Hibs will do what's best for the club and be disappointed if they don't, rather than assuming they will let us down but at least be happy knowing that I was right.

This is absolutely not a post suggesting that we should all wear blinkers and pretend like everything is rosey. I don't believe that. I know work needs to be done. I know we need to bring in players of at least equal, and hopefuly better, ability / drive / motivation. It's June 3rd and we haven't made a signing that is setting the heather on fire. Sorry but for me it's too early to be reaching for the bottle of pills.

This reminds me of the January window when people were complaining that we weren't signing quickly enough. Then we weren't signing enough players and those that we were signing weren't good enough. In other words, some people (NOT saying you) look for a reason to be unhappy and when that opportunity passes, they find another reason and so on.

HibsMax
03-06-2011, 06:49 PM
People might not rate Petrie or Calderwood, but they're not idiots. It's actually in their own interests to do well. Therefore Colin Calderwood is not going to let half his squad disappear and sign a few numpties on no more a thousand pounds a week. Ok? And Rod Petrie is not going to see all those wages being freed up and think of nothing more than a new jacuzzi for himself rather than a chance to get new players and get the ground full again. Ok?

You'd think we've naturally stumbled on the most idiotic and brainless set of football managers and executives possible by the way people rant on. Funnily enough, we haven't. Everything will be in place, and I would hazard a guess there has been contact made with realistic signings that are a lot better than Frazer Wright or Kieran Agard or whoever.

Calm the **** down everyone. CC hasn't buggered off on holiday and forgotten that he's only got about four players left when he returns.

You make an interesting point. If Rod was clueless and only cared about making money then it naturally follows that his employer needs to be somewhat profitable (or at least keeping the debt manageable) in order for that to happen. If he runs the business side into the ground then he's out of a job. I guess he could run it limply enough to just survive while lining his pockets but, for no reason, I don't think he's doing that.

It's infuriating at times the silence that comes from Easter Road but no businessman is going to tip his cards and tell the world that Hibs are looking to drop a couple of million before the next season. So as frustrating as it might be, we have to play the waiting game along with everyone else.

houston1875
03-06-2011, 07:01 PM
I sent a email to Hibs few weeks ago about new signings and I got a reply from Fife Hyland,if it was him,he said that "we should expect further players to arrive very quickly over the next few weeks" that was on the 19th May

So hopefully we should see new signings soon...

:cgwa

BEEJ
03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Sorry but for me it's too early to be reaching for the bottle of pills.

This reminds me of the January window when people were complaining that we weren't signing quickly enough. Then we weren't signing enough players and those that we were signing weren't good enough. In other words, some people (NOT saying you) look for a reason to be unhappy and when that opportunity passes, they find another reason and so on.
You do remember that in January all our signings were effectively in the last week of the window (Thornhill's signing was announced on 21st Jan but he wasn't available for selection until early February)? :greengrin This was after the derby match and after we had fallen meekly from the Scottish Cup.

Not really a good example to give to illustrate your point.

It's infuriating at times the silence that comes from Easter Road but no businessman is going to tip his cards and tell the world that Hibs are looking to drop a couple of million before the next season. So as frustrating as it might be, we have to play the waiting game along with everyone else.
If 'everyone else' was playing the same waiting game as Hibs I doubt that you'd get anything like the same outcry on here. :wink:

Broken Gnome
03-06-2011, 07:13 PM
You make an interesting point. If Rod was clueless and only cared about making money then it naturally follows that his employer needs to be somewhat profitable (or at least keeping the debt manageable) in order for that to happen. If he runs the business side into the ground then he's out of a job. I guess he could run it limply enough to just survive while lining his pockets but, for no reason, I don't think he's doing that.

If he really wanted to line his own pockets, as a businessman he probably knows he should generate as much revenue as possible. Cup runs, merchandise and ticket sales. People might bemoan that he hasn't a scoob about football, but it's a bit insulting to suggest he does have enough of a financial brain to realise that...

Gala Foxes
03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Liam Miller - Going to Australia ? - he is so half hearted he will probably get off the plane in Singapore , decide he can't be bothered to complete the trip and just stop there.

inglisavhibs
03-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Like it or not we hardly won any games with theses so called talented players over the last year and a bit. Miller is on a downward spiral solely because he doesn't do enough in games. Rarely scores, can't compete in any midfield battle, rarely makes a goal and is very lightweight. Calderwood will be judged on the replacements for these under achievers. Only Bamba of that lot actually gets a game regularly elsewhere.

HibsMax
03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
You do remember that in January all our signings were effectively in the last week of the window (Thornhill's signing was announced on 21st Jan but he wasn't available for selection until early February)? :greengrin This was after the derby match and after we had fallen meekly from the Scottish Cup.

Not really a good example to give to illustrate your point.
It's a perfect example. During the January window people were getting pissy because Hibs were not making any signings (as you rightly said, they were made at the end of the window). People are again getting upset because we haven't signed enough players yet even though we're still early on in the process. It's the exact same thing happening again. There seems to be a feeling that we HAVE to make early signings......that early signings are some guarantee of quality (I personally don't make that correlation but obviously some do otherwise why the panic?).

If 'everyone else' was playing the same waiting game as Hibs I doubt that you'd get anything like the same outcry on here. :wink:
That is not what I meant. I meant that we, the fans, have to wait to hear what Hibs plans are when they announce them. Not that we should wait before we start signing more players.

HibsMax
03-06-2011, 09:19 PM
If he really wanted to line his own pockets, as a businessman he probably knows he should generate as much revenue as possible. Cup runs, merchandise and ticket sales. People might bemoan that he hasn't a scoob about football, but it's a bit insulting to suggest he does have enough of a financial brain to realise that...
Exactly my thoughts. In my opinion, you can't be a successful money-grabber and a failed businessman.

Cameron1875
03-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Heres some Man United fans thoughts on miller. They call him the invisible man.

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/perth-glorys-latest-signing-331727/

HibeeSince85
03-06-2011, 10:57 PM
What a waste, winding down a career in the sun, maybe when your 34! He should have been trying to prove something not buggering off, even if it wasn't with Hibs.

new malkyhib
03-06-2011, 11:05 PM
It's a perfect example. During the January window people were getting pissy because Hibs were not making any signings (as you rightly said, they were made at the end of the window). People are again getting upset because we haven't signed enough players yet even though we're still early on in the process. It's the exact same thing happening again. There seems to be a feeling that we HAVE to make early signings......that early signings are some guarantee of quality (I personally don't make that correlation but obviously some do otherwise why the panic?).

That is not what I meant. I meant that we, the fans, have to wait to hear what Hibs plans are when they announce them. Not that we should wait before we start signing more players.

We need players in, more than any other season BEFORE the start of the season to get us off to (hopefully) a good start.

If the fixture list is unkind to us - i.e. an early away Derby or one of the two ugly sisters at home and we get off to a crap start in the first four games without any decent signings, then the Board have failed...it's that black and white, i'm afraid.

And if that's putting undue pressure on our untouchable Board, then tough ****, they're paid handsomely enough to take the flak.

stokesmessiah
03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
We need players in, more than any other season BEFORE the start of the season to get us off to (hopefully) a good start.

If the fixture list is unkind to us - i.e. an early away Derby or one of the two ugly sisters at home and we get off to a crap start in the first four games without any decent signings, then the Board have failed...it's that black and white, i'm afraid.

And if that's putting undue pressure on our untouchable Board, then tough ****, they're paid handsomely enough to take the flak.

I swear to god, some ppl seem like they are rubbing there hands hoping we dont do well so they can say i told you so.

Season is hardly even finished, ppl are on holidays, window is 2 days old and you are already talking about the board failing. tad early no :rolleyes:

And before you defend yourself by saying your not having a go at the board yet, my point is why even bother come out with that nonsense?

Please read the below !!

sup·port·er/səˈpôrtər/Noun

1. A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
2. A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.

new malkyhib
03-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I swear to god, some ppl seem like they are rubbing there hands hoping we dont do well so they can say i told you so.

Season is hardly even finished, ppl are on holidays, window is 2 days old and you are already talking about the board failing. tad early no :rolleyes:

And before you defend yourself by saying your not having a go at the board yet, my point is why even bother come out with that nonsense?

Please read the below !!

1. A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
2. A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.

I'm not going to try and "defend" myself, no, because that's my opinion - that alright with you?

And please tell me how the window's only been "open for two days" yet that mob have already signed 3 players?

Please read the below:

"Ostrich" - i'll let you fill in the rest.

Cameron1875
04-06-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm not going to try and "defend" myself, no, because that's my opinion - that alright with you?

And please tell me how the window's only been "open for two days" yet that mob have already signed 3 players?

Please read the below:

Why you bothered about hearts? Aside from sutton, the players they have brought in are rotten. Its about the quality of player regardless of when they are brought in. However i can't imagine CC waiting until the season has started considering how important it is for this particular squad to bond in pre season.

Beefster
04-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Please read the below !!

The window doesn't open until 1 July.

Beefster
04-06-2011, 06:39 AM

Please read the below:

So you're only panicking because Hearts have signed two more players than us?

Just remember that Stokes, Bamba, Riordan and Miller were all signed at the end of the transfer window so it's hardly panic stations yet.

essexhibee
04-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Why you bothered about hearts? Aside from sutton, the players they have brought in are rotten. Its about the quality of player regardless of when they are brought in. However i can't imagine CC waiting until the season has started considering how important it is for this particular squad to bond in pre season.
I agree with this. No superstars have been brought in however if the get gomis then that would be a big coup.

spike220
04-06-2011, 07:37 AM
I am not worried in the least. I'd rather wait for it than get all news over at once. Lets face it what would we talk about if he signed 15 players this week. The only thing we could debate would be the possible first team line up! I like it this way for us and for the club, lets spend the time rebuilding properly rather than just panic buying.

GGTTH

aberhibsfc
04-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Have to say that I am disappointed by his departure. I would have liked him to stay and play with a more comitted, improved team next season.

He must have enjoyed his performances so much last season, he's decided to make a career out of it and perform at that level in Australia.

He's got more years behind than infront, can only imagine he's doing it for the weather, it certainly aint for footballing reasons.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Had Miller played at the top of his game week in and week out, then he would never have been near our team. When you try to put your play through one player, and that player isn't taking a game, you are going to come unstuck. Miller has tumbled out of bigger clubs than ours for much the same reason. The comments we have made will not be far from the comments on other fans' websites, so that surely means that we are not overly picky or demand too much, but more that as we are all football fans,albet with our own loyalties, we are all seeing the same thing.

snooky
04-06-2011, 09:23 AM
What a waste, winding down a career in the sun, maybe when your 34! He should have been trying to prove something not buggering off, even if it wasn't with Hibs.

I dunno...........
Oz would seem to be the logical place for someone who is a consistant under performer.

stokesmessiah
04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
I dunno...........
Oz would seem to be the logical place for someone who is a consistant under performer.

I like what you have done here !

aberhibsfc
04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree with this. No superstars have been brought in however if the get gomis then that would be a big coup.

Essex, the only way is Hibees!!!

BEEJ
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
It's a perfect example. During the January window people were getting pissy because Hibs were not making any signings (as you rightly said, they were made at the end of the window).

People are again getting upset because we haven't signed enough players yet even though we're still early on in the process. It's the exact same thing happening again. There seems to be a feeling that we HAVE to make early signings......that early signings are some guarantee of quality (I personally don't make that correlation but obviously some do otherwise why the panic?).
It's not a good example, though, due to the text highlighted.

We are still early in the process in this window, so we need to wait and see. January 2011 was a different case altogether IF we valued a longer run in the cup and IF we wanted to strengthen the squad for the important clutch of league fixtures that month, including the derby.

Of course, IF instead the only purpose of the new players coming in during the January window was to avoid relegation then, 'Yes', those signings were made relatively early in the 'process'. But that would suggest rather limited ambition on the Board's part; so I would prefer not to see that as a valid scenario.

BEEJ
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
This was the blurb on transfer windows on the BBC website last June (June 2010):

The international transfer window for signings will open on Wednesday, 9 June and will stay open until 1800 BST on Tuesday, 31 August.

Domestic transfers between clubs in the same association (eg England or Scotland) can take place as soon as a club completes its last competitive fixtures.

However, many transfers or signings, although agreed at this time, will not formally go through until 1 July because the majority of players' contracts expire on 30 June.

So assuming that's true and with a number of player contracts known to have expired this year at the end of May, it looks like the window could officially 'open' on or around June 9th.

500miles
04-06-2011, 10:49 AM
The SPL get's a hard time, but the A League is an elephants graveyard of football. If Miller plans to ply his trade there from now own, I think that tells you plenty about his attitude to the game these days, and why his performances were so lacklustre after his first 4 or 5 months at Hibs.

silverhibee
04-06-2011, 11:00 AM

Is it the 31st August it slams shut.

Beefster
04-06-2011, 03:41 PM
This was the blurb on transfer windows on the BBC website last June (June 2010):

So assuming that's true and with a number of player contracts known to have expired this year at the end of May, it looks like the window could officially 'open' on or around June 9th.

Apologies, you're spot on. I read that the SFA's Head of Registration confirmed that it is indeed 9th June. Wikipedia needs to be updated!

3pm
04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Is it the 31st August it slams shut.

It could be extended if you have E-Mail access, a stash of £100 notes and a brown paper bag.

7Hero
04-06-2011, 05:25 PM
This is the sort of statement that irks me the most. You're post implies that Hibs won't spend the Miller money on his replacement. Based on what? Can you reveal something that we don't know re: how much money Hibs are going to spend / re-invest?

I'm not saying that you won't be proved right but it's pure speculation. I can't speak for anyone else but I personally don't understand why people choose to speculate negatively rather than positively? Why not at least wait and see what Hibs do before speculating about the future? The difference as I see it is that I would rather assume Hibs will do what's best for the club and be disappointed if they don't, rather than assuming they will let us down but at least be happy knowing that I was right.

This is absolutely not a post suggesting that we should all wear blinkers and pretend like everything is rosey. I don't believe that. I know work needs to be done. I know we need to bring in players of at least equal, and hopefuly better, ability / drive / motivation. It's June 3rd and we haven't made a signing that is setting the heather on fire. Sorry but for me it's too early to be reaching for the bottle of pills.

My point merely being we should be investing the money we no longer spend on wages, 2 highest earners at the club leave then we as fans should expect no less than to see suitable replacements spent on. Supposedly we are thinning the squad and looking for quality not quantity. Im not saying invest more than normal (as this would of course be folly looking at dip in turnover) but that we should be seeing the funds AT LEAST re-invested,.

7Hero
04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Liam Miller was drivel. I hope we don't spend the same on wages if that's what we'll get.

its nothing to do with how drivel he was or not !

its that the budget for players is not cut and we get in decent players, plenty youngsters and not very good players at the club, lets get some decent players in.