PDA

View Full Version : The negativity is getting out of hand!

keep the faith
01-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Fully expect a slaughtering here but really have to post this.

Like most on here I read this board several times a day. Hibs net is a fantastic voice for Hibs fans and the hard work of those running the site makes for hours of enjoyment for people like me. However, is the 24/7 nature of fan forums like Hibs net helping our club at times?

I know that is a strong statement, but I honestly think that this forum intensifies and magnifies certain things, knocking events out of all perspective.

For instance, the season is barely finished but thats 18 long Hibs net days with only one signing!! 432 hours and 90 visits to Hibs net with only one signing. Come on CC, what are you playing at?? Even worse the yams have signed a few!!! Panic stations!!

Then there is the endless dismissal of players. Im the last few weeks I have read slaughterings for Ivan, Deeks, DeGraffe, GOC and Ian Murray. 4 players who have given this club a lot and one who wil no doubt be feeling a shade anxious in returning after a poor spell last season. I listened to Murray on Reporting Scotland today saying that Hibs turn every positive into a negative. How right he is. Are we becoming the most negative fans in Scotland???

The thing is, this forum only represents a small minority of the fanbase, but it gives a large voice. It is read quietly by a huge audience, but dominated by only a few. Good luck to the regulars by the way. I enjoy reading many posts on here on a daily basis, which are far more educated and informed than I can ever be, but is the overanalysing creating an expectation which is verging on ridiculous??

For instance, GOC not worth signing?? Are some of you having a laugh?? OConner will score goals for fun up here. He has played at the top level, is only 27 and theoretically should be out of our league. Even Lennon harped on about how impressed he was depite OConnor only training with them. Not good enough for us though.

I cant see us getting him, but what a coup if we did. Now the merits of GOC signing are only my view, but the point is that if any other potential signings look at his board (and you better believe they all do, as will the entire Hibs team) they may not be so sure about coming here, even though the forums can give a skewed and minority view.

Today features pages of posts having a pop at our former captain for having the audacity to be granted a testimonial!! Opinion's are whats its all about and while its healthy to have differences of opinion, cant we all count to 10 before letting rip on our own players and anyone who is rumoured to be joining?? Some of the abuse is OTT and relentless, with real relish being put into attacks on certain poster's pet hates.

I actually laughed out loud at the Aberdeen game when the "one of our own" chant rang out. Appreciating one of our own, is not something you see too much of on this board.

I know I'm making whopping generalisations here, but Im really interested in the thoughts of others posters. Are we too negative? Should people take "time out" from posting to gain a perspective? Does the negative vibes here transfer to the stands (I think they do).

Most of all, is it time to start backing our team again and make our players feel supported??

I hope this post is accepted in the ways its intended - As positive debate.

GGTTH

Hibeesb0unc3
01-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I think that after a dreadful 18 months of dreadful football football, people are just a bit p'd off. But give the club some time and luck and hopefully things will change on the park and will give the fans something to be positive about.

tamig
01-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm sick of the pish that gets spouted on here from so called supporters - hence the reason I rarely look in or post these days. the negativity beggars belief at times.

HibsMax
01-06-2011, 11:19 PM
I know what you're saying but I am not sure that the vocal minority is really that loud of a voice...........and if it is then those listening should be aware that it really is a minority. At least I think it is. There are far more people who read this forum than actually participate. I am sure there are a great many people who read some threads and roll their eyes but don't contribute, for any one of many reasons (fear of the backlash for example). I think some people are just more inclined to complain about things than they are to give praise. That's just my opinion and it's not football-centric. I think it's part of being human.

brydekirk
01-06-2011, 11:53 PM
:top marks

Like most on here I read this board several times a day. Hibs net is a fantastic voice for Hibs fans and the hard work of those running the site makes for hours of enjoyment for people like me. However, is the 24/7 nature of fan forums like Hibs net helping our club at times?

I know that is a strong statement, but I honestly think that this forum intensifies and magnifies certain things, knocking events out of all perspective.

For instance, the season is barely finished but thats 18 long Hibs net days with only one signing!! 432 hours and 90 visits to Hibs net with only one signing. Come on CC, what are you playing at?? Even worse the yams have signed a few!!! Panic stations!!

Then there is the endless dismissal of players. Im the last few weeks I have read slaughterings for Ivan, Deeks, DeGraffe, GOC and Ian Murray. 4 players who have given this club a lot and one who wil no doubt be feeling a shade anxious in returning after a poor spell last season. I listened to Murray on Reporting Scotland today saying that Hibs turn every positive into a negative. How right he is. Are we becoming the most negative fans in Scotland???

The thing is, this forum only represents a small minority of the fanbase, but it gives a large voice. It is read quietly by a huge audience, but dominated by only a few. Good luck to the regulars by the way. I enjoy reading many posts on here on a daily basis, which are far more educated and informed than I can ever be, but is the overanalysing creating an expectation which is verging on ridiculous??

For instance, GOC not worth signing?? Are some of you having a laugh?? OConner will score goals for fun up here. He has played at the top level, is only 27 and theoretically should be out of our league. Even Lennon harped on about how impressed he was depite OConnor only training with them. Not good enough for us though.

I cant see us getting him, but what a coup if we did. Now the merits of GOC signing are only my view, but the point is that if any other potential signings look at his board (and you better believe they all do, as will the entire Hibs team) they may not be so sure about coming here, even though the forums can give a skewed and minority view.

Today features pages of posts having a pop at our former captain for having the audacity to be granted a testimonial!! Opinion's are whats its all about and while its healthy to have differences of opinion, cant we all count to 10 before letting rip on our own players and anyone who is rumoured to be joining?? Some of the abuse is OTT and relentless, with real relish being put into attacks on certain poster's pet hates.

I actually laughed out loud at the Aberdeen game when the "one of our own" chant rang out. Appreciating one of our own, is not something you see too much of on this board.

I know I'm making whopping generalisations here, but Im really interested in the thoughts of others posters. Are we too negative? Should people take "time out" from posting to gain a perspective? Does the negative vibes here transfer to the stands (I think they do).

Most of all, is it time to start backing our team again and make our players feel supported??

GGTTH

Whos-the-poster
02-06-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm sick of the pish that gets spouted on here from so called supporters - hence the reason I rarely look in or post these days. the negativity beggars belief at times.

:agree: i totally agree

Viva_Palmeiras
02-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Whilst this negativity pervades we'll never win the Holy Grail IMO or get the upper hand over the yams.

Why ? We start off psychologically one goal down and if that goal arrives we tend to impLode. This season has been dreadful and there's been a nervousness in many games it's been a testing time since JC left so it's worn us down. Hopefully next season things will Start to look up.

Ggtth

Steve20
02-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Do people really think the supporters have no right to be p'd off with Hibs after the performances that the players have put in over the past 12-18 months?

I agree getting behind the players at the games, but surely the whole point of messageboards is to allow fans the chance to have their say, whether its positive or negative.

hibbiedon
02-06-2011, 06:14 AM
How many of the negative posts are actually Hibs fans, The yams are boasting they had 7,000 replies to their survey, I was one and I bet lots of Hibs fans did the same so its fair to assume they do likewise, so now I just ignore the moaners

Matty_Jack04
02-06-2011, 06:14 AM
I understand the OP's frustration but how can you expect people to be positive after the last season and a half especially. We as fans are paying the club alot of money we've watched our best team in years being sold off for millions of pounds with very little actually going to replacing the playing staff, I'm aware of the facilities we purchased (hard to forget really) but the **** was always going to hit the fan when the quality on the pitch is as bad and the only thing our very well paid board care about is how good the balance book is.

£405 for a season ticket, £23 per game at the gate if the team isn't performing our fans have every right to voice there opinions negative or not

Pretty sure another thread has us 3rd most expensive team to watch in the Spl to finish 10th in the league and not expect negativity is ridiculous

Ritchie
02-06-2011, 06:27 AM
I agree with what you say but I fail to see why people get wound up about this place.

It's an Internet forum.
Every forum has mixture of personalities with different opinions and I have to say I don't blame some for being negative. Hibs are terrible at the moment and SPL is worse.

There will be good seasons again..... Just not sure when. We will never be consistently good season after season. Outwith the old firm no team has been consistently good.

I love Hibs. But I have resigned to the fact that we are a very small fish in a puddle. That's never going to change so there is no point getting worked up about it.

Now what does get me wound up is golf!!!!..... How can you be consistantly good at golf!!!! It's too frustrating!!!:wink:

Kaiser1962
02-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Do people really think the supporters have no right to be p'd off with Hibs after the performances that the players have put in over the past 12-18 months?

I agree getting behind the players at the games, but surely the whole point of messageboards is to allow fans the chance to have their say, whether its positive or negative.

Thats probably right Steve20. I think most of the so called "negative" posters are just as you describe and totally frustrated and pissed off, and rightly so. We should be doing better.

It's about how we progress that there emerges different viewpoints.

I think watching most other clubs, one in particular not too far away from us, appear to disregard all the rules of business and financial managment with apparent impunity and no negative consequences makes it difficult to argue that our strict monetary management is the right way to go.

Kaiser1962
02-06-2011, 06:32 AM
How many of the negative posts are actually Hibs fans, The yams are boasting they had 7,000 replies to their survey, I was one and I bet lots of Hibs fans did the same so its fair to assume they do likewise, so now I just ignore the moaners

Only 7,000? I would have though at least 250,000 woould have been the minimum.

I dont think all the "negative" posters are Yams at it. I can only think of one (maybe two) that I reckon are Yams. I think that the vast majority are just pissed off hibby's who care passionately about their club.

Speedway
02-06-2011, 06:58 AM
It has been stated a number of times on here, that it's just a messageboard, a place to vent, if the players are affected well they should just be tougher.

They're not going to get tougher whilst their own continue to attack them.

From 3:50 onwards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13621931.stm

sahib
02-06-2011, 07:01 AM

How many of the positive posters are employees/ board members/ hangers on and general lackeys of the current regime?

"Paranoia it can destroy ya!" as somebody once sang.

macca70
02-06-2011, 07:43 AM
We barely have a squad to put a team in the 5 a side league next season.

We finished last season in the bottom 6 and if it wasn't for a February we would probably have gone down.

We got knocked out the cup by Ayr.

We had the whole of January to make some signings after Sol left on January 1st and the club left it to the last few days of the window to bring anyone in, I suspect this transfer window will be the same and we'll spend the 1st half dozen games experimenting.

Folk keep saying we're in a 'transition period', it would appear we have been in 'transition' since McCleish left.

Our only highlight of the season was beating rangers 3-0.

The only positives that we currently appear to have are; Rodders excel spreadsheets/accounts, our training complex and our nice shiny stadium but unfortunately we are a football club, there is nothing positive happening on the park at all, there's not even any signs of anything positive happening.

Everyone has there opinions about players and that's the way football is, you well see it on message boards at every club. There's always going to be mixed views on players, that's just life.

Septimus
02-06-2011, 07:58 AM
If we had just finished our best season ever there would be miserable threads on here complaining that we are selling off our best players. It all has nothing to do with football whatsoever but is economics. Any player assets we have are speedily turned into cash and we all look down hoping to find another nugget in the dust. That is the way it is and that is the way it will stay.

Nothing to do with negativity. It is just simple fact.

spike220
02-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Good thread!

Big Frank
02-06-2011, 08:42 AM
I would rather Hibernian fans vioced their opinions, positively or negatively, but voice them they should.

Sitting on our hands watching us slide to mediocrity is the worst thing we could do.
Hibernian fans are no different than any others. No more negative than anyone else.

We were a sham last year. This equates to negativity.

..... I think us fans have a different view of Hibernian FC than those who have worn our famous jersey in the last couple of years!

Beefster
02-06-2011, 08:43 AM
At least the weather is supposed to get better soon.

AlbertK86
02-06-2011, 08:49 AM
totally agree with the OP comments about O'Connor and Murray. O'connor if fit will score plenty goals. Yer has off field issues but i think you'll find stokes had similar issues and we were happy for him to score our goals. As for murray the guy has been a great servant who always wears his heart on his sleeve. Pity some of the rest of the team weren't like him. He did what anybody would do when he went west. Tried to secure a future for his family with some decent pay. Can't knock him for that. Not as if hibs pay gives you a secure future when you retire ! Fully deserves a benefit match.

Franck is God
02-06-2011, 11:45 AM
The negativity on this board is almost always over the top, personally speaking I try not to get involved in the slagging threads and sticking up for players tends to make them last longer so I've stopped doing that too.

I'm not sure if I'm generally pretty positive about Hibs because of how long I've been going. I started going with my Dad every week in the early 80's and at that time we were always fighting to avoid relegation and apart from the games against Hearts or the OF we rarely got more than 7k in the ground.

I go along to ER now and I see a brand new ground, our own training centre bought and paid for and a succesful youth system that is envied around the country.

I don't think that the football on show is quite as bad as some like to make out, the results have been very poor but I can't remember a season where we have converted so few chances having made so many which suggests to me that only a few tweaks are required to turn things around.

I have seen enough from CC to know that he has the ability to be a very good Hibs manager, I like the signings he has made so far and look forward to more arriving in the summer.

Its frustrating to me at times that some fans want to add stipulations to their support and failure to meet them gives them the right withdraw and moan and complain about it. As a Hibs fan I always hope we win, am delighted when we do and gutted when we don't however it never has a bearing at all to whether I go to the next game.

7Hero
02-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Whilst this negativity pervades we'll never win the Holy Grail IMO or get the upper hand over the yams.
Ggtth

You'll probably find the negativity stems from most folk realising you are indeed correct and that they don't see much of that changing over the next few years..

DAVE1875
02-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I will admit, I am feeling a little negative about Hibs at the moment, but thats only due to Hearts signing three good players... Sorry I'll re-phraise that; two good players and a Killie thug, anyway, and we've only signed Ivan and now it seems CC has taken the vow of a Monk's silence. All I've heard is that we're close to signing a striker, but that was a few weeks ago.

If the fans keep slaughtering the team and club I can see Easter Road being a populus as a barren desert in the drought season.

spike220
03-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Brilliant thread.:top marks

I love hibs, love the players and will cheer ANY new signing we get.

Maybe we should start hijacking the negative threads! Just as the so called 'fans' are doing, while all the time they whine about everything connected to hibs because they "care". Give me a break!

I also like the wee monologue at the beginning it should be compulsory reading for everyone on here.

GGTHH

Viva_Palmeiras
03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
You'll probably find the negativity stems from most folk realising you are indeed correct and that they don't see much of that changing over the next few years..
A bit defeatist tho no ? How did killie turn things around what about united?
I think we need stability first. But no harm in being optimistic that's not to say you should be blind to reality.

RIP
03-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I expect negativity on messageboards - just not on the terracing. Our family has been brought up to believe that it's part of our birthright to support the Hibees, win, lose or draw

We spent last season as East walkups, often being subjected to an endless stream of vitriol from deafeningly loud so-called Hibs supporters directed at our own players and manager. They didn't just spoil the matchday experience for us - they spolied it for the hundred or so people round about who couldn't hear themselves think because of one inconsiderate loudmouth

I've never believed that these people were representative of our support and indeed in some football grounds I've been in, it would have been socially unacceptable to behave like that. We made up our minds last season that we would do our bit to help make Easter Road a more positive place.

Joining Hibs12thMan and the Singing Section helped save our season and with more ambitious plans afoot for next year, I believe it's possible for positivity to prevail over negativity at Easter Road. I'd like to hear fans of other clubs say - "Aye Hibs arenae great the now, but they have a great support - they really get behind their team"

I'm sure I suffered just as badly towards the end of that poor season as any other fellow supporter. But I'll never let the quality of my team and it's players drag me down into a pit of negativity. I'm a proud Hibbie and that means supporting my team through thick and thin.

Spike Mandela
03-06-2011, 11:37 AM

GGTTH

Maybe we could set up an editorial team who can edit out all comments, thoughts or ideas that they consider negative or critical in posts . Perhaps you could give of your time to lead this team working with the board to ensure that we can all share in the joy of living the dream that is being a Hibby.

vive la difference!:devil:

hibiedude
03-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I would rather Hibernian fans vioced their opinions, positively or negatively, but voice them they should.

Sitting on our hands watching us slide to mediocrity is the worst thing we could do.
Hibernian fans are no different than any others. No more negative than anyone else.

We were a sham last year. This equates to negativity.

..... I think us fans have a different view of Hibernian FC than those who have worn our famous jersey in the last couple of years!

Best quote of the lot

Why start a thread with the words "Hibs net is a fantastic voice for Hibs fans" then complain that some happen to mention that we have been rank rotten for about 18 months and are quite right to be negative in some of their comments.