PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray Testimonial

The Tubs
01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't know if he deserves one. Despite being a sound guy, I always thought that a testimonial was for 10 years continuous service as well as loyalty above and beyond the call of duty.

That said, it would be no reason to give him the type of attendance that Levein or Gary Mackay got. If I'm around Edinburgh, I'll definitely go.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110601/murray-a-fantastic-achievement_2262950_2366884

Andy74
01-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't know if he deserves one. Despite being a sound guy, I always thought that a testimonial was for 10 years continuous service as well as loyalty above and beyond the call of duty.

That said, it would be no reason to give him the type of attendance that Levein or Gary Mackay got. If I'm around Edinburgh, I'll definitely go.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110601/murray-a-fantastic-achievement_2262950_2366884

Just said on the PM board, I've no interest in attending any of the events for this. He left us to go to Rangers after all and agree that these should be for continual service or oustanding loyalty.

3pm
01-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I won't be going if he is pocketing a single penny of the proceeds.

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Are you boys having a laugh? Get a grip. He's a Hibs fan and player who has been a good player for us. So what if he went to a better team to improve his game and win something. I'm a die hard Hibs fan and hate the OF but if i was playing for Hibs and got the chance to earn 5 times more and win something i'd be off in a flash. People need to lighten up a bit. I'll defo be there.

soupy
01-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I'll be happy to go.

Saorsa
01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Not for me, I've nae interest in testimonials, only ever been tae one, Gordon Rae's in 88 and that was on a freebie. Fitba players have enough money, particularly these days, I'll no be topping up their pension fund.

Woody70x2
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Clearly states that proceeds will go to good causes!

Would be happy to attend this, as he has been a good servant to the club. Yes, he went away in search of riches, but he is a Hibee through and through.

A tasty tie is what is required though... Manchester United anyone? Arsenal?

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Not for me, I've nae interest in testimonials, only eve been tae one, Gordon Rae's in 88 and that was on a freebie. Fitba players have enough money, particularly these days, I'll no be topping up their pension fund.

Not when you sign for Hibs!! :wink:

truehibernian
01-06-2011, 09:25 AM
With a little bit of luck and right career decisions, without doubt a future Hibernian manager. Good knowledge of the game, strong and disciplined mind, has the respect of colleagues, articulate and a sound role model. May not have the legs anymore but has the heart and desire in bucketloads.

Not a huge fan of testimonials however when we live in an age of footballers being more used to the front pages, I think Ian deserves his moment and proves that hard work and dedication and being a true professional can have it's rewards. Just dinnae go out to the boozer so soon after a derby loss Nid eh :greengrin

Hope he is at the club for years to come in both a coaching and managerial capacity.

Saorsa
01-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Not when you sign for Hibs!! :wink:but they do when they sign for the huns and Norwich. :wink:

Beefster
01-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Would be happy to attend this, as he has been a good servant to the club. Yes, he went away in search of riches, but he is a Hibee through and through.

It clearly states that part of the proceeds will go to good causes.

3pm
01-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Some of the proceeds will be donated. If he donates the lot I'll go.

The only other way I'll go is if Sauzee is playing.

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 09:31 AM
but they do when they sign for the huns and Norwich. :wink:

Touché

Hakim Sar
01-06-2011, 09:41 AM

.Sean.
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I'll most definately be in attendance.

Baldy Foghorn
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Are you boys having a laugh? Get a grip. He's a Hibs fan and player who has been a good player for us. So what if he went to a better team to improve his game and win something. I'm a die hard Hibs fan and hate the OF but if i was playing for Hibs and got the chance to earn 5 times more and win something i'd be off in a flash. People need to lighten up a bit. I'll defo be there.

I always thought a testimonial was for CONTINUAL service to a club....Not sure how IM deserves this as he has been to another couple of clubs.....At least he is giving part of money to charitable causes

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I always thought a testimonial was for CONTINUAL service to a club....Not sure how IM deserves this as he has been to another couple of clubs.....At least he is giving part of money to charitable causes

I think it's how much you put into the club now. He helps the youth, he is always at the public events regarding the club.. Lives and breaths Hibs and for me that's enough. He's also putting money to charity so i can't see the problem to be honest. But it's your cash you don't want to go then don't. I know i'll be there and i'm sure he will get a decent turn out.

Andy74
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm not having a laugh at all, yes he has been a a decent player and is a Hibs fan but for me those aren't sufficient reasons for someone to get a testimonial match or any other event.

Lewis Stevenson will be getting one next.

Beefster
01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm not having a laugh at all, yes he has been a a decent player and is a Hibs fan but for me those aren't sufficient reasons for someone to get a testimonial match or any other event.

Lewis Stevenson will be getting one next.

I tend to agree with you. In any case, as soon as you leave ER you should forfeit the right to any testimonial.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I think it's how much you put into the club now. He helps the youth, he is always at the public events regarding the club.. Lives and breaths Hibs and for me that's enough. He's also putting money to charity so i can't see the problem to be honest. But it's your cash you don't want to go then don't. I know i'll be there and i'm sure he will get a decent turn out.

Tam Mcourt lives and breathes the club, and he never pissed off to the huns to live and breathe them either.

marinello59
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
I'll be happy to go.

Me too.
I don't care about whether he merits one or not because his service has not been continuous., I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him play for us over the years. Down with all the cynicism. Money to charity and a chance to say thanks to one of my favourite players, I'll be there.

banarc7062
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM

I agree. :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
01-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Where did I say I did not want to go?

smurf
01-06-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree. :agree:

I too agree.

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Tam Mcourt lives and breathes the club, and he never pissed off to the huns to live and breathe them either.

Never knew Tam played for Hibs!!

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Where did I say I did not want to go?

Apologies my mistake. I thought the way you were talking you prob wouldn't be going.

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Me too.
I don't care about whether he merits one or not because his service has not been continuous., I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him play for us over the years. Down with all the cynicism. Money to charity and a chance to say thanks to one of my favourite players, I'll be there.

Spot on mate, some people just seem to shoot down anything positive on here these days. More things in life to worry about than the fact he played for Rangers and Norwich.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Never knew Tam played for Hibs!!

You never said he did, but you did say this. (I'm a die hard Hibs fan and hate the OF but if i was playing for Hibs and got the chance to earn 5 times more and win something i'd be off in a flash.)

Hardly living and breathing all things Hibs is it, whatever that means anyway?

Phil D. Rolls
01-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Surely Gary MacKay (aka Mr Hearts) would have had a full house for his do? I mean they are a big club, and he is a massive hero to them, and he won, er, lots of things for them. Does anyone know what the attendance was.

They usually do.

With a little bit of luck and right career decisions, without doubt a future Hibernian manager. Good knowledge of the game, strong and disciplined mind, has the respect of colleagues, articulate and a sound role model. May not have the legs anymore but has the heart and desire in bucketloads.

Not a huge fan of testimonials however when we live in an age of footballers being more used to the front pages, I think Ian deserves his moment and proves that hard work and dedication and being a true professional can have it's rewards. Just dinnae go out to the boozer so soon after a derby loss Nid eh :greengrin

Hope he is at the club for years to come in both a coaching and managerial capacity.

Never really impressed me as a leader, too quiet.

Jeez, you'd think more of them than that would have gone, especially if they had booked a big team for the opposition.

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 10:30 AM
You never said he did, but you did say this. (I'm a die hard Hibs fan and hate the OF but if i was playing for Hibs and got the chance to earn 5 times more and win something i'd be off in a flash.)

Hardly living and breathing all things Hibs is it, whatever that means anyway?

I think you know what i mean BH you're just being a smart arse. The guy has been a very good player for Hibs down the years and everyone knows his love for the club. The effort he puts into helping the young guys as well. To come out with the Tam thing is ridiculous.

IanM
01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh i could see a glamour tie coming up! one of our old European foes at ER?

Napoli ?
Leeds Utd (not overly glamorous mind)
Anderlecht?
Athens?
Dnipro?

offshorehibby
Never agreed with testimonials for players that have made a very good living out of football. Different for a player lower down the leagues who has not made a packet out of football.

Mikey
Spot on mate, some people just seem to shoot down anything positive on here these days. More things in life to worry about than the fact he played for Rangers and Norwich.

I thought I'd seen it all but apparently not. I'm gobsmacked at the reaction from some.

No wonder the club can't connect with sections of the support.

Saorsa
01-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Spot on mate, some people just seem to shoot down anything positive on here these days. More things in life to worry about than the fact he played for Rangers and Norwich.Nothing tae do with being positive or negative as far as I'm concerned, it's an opinion. I disagree with testimonials period. Fitba players earn plenty, even Hibs ones. They will be on 2,3,4,5 times a week what most of those who are contributing tae their wages are on. I contribute enough towards their lifestyle while they are playing, I see nae reason why I should contribute tae it when they have finished up.

Stevie Reid
01-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I'll be there.

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I thought I'd seen it all but apparently not. I'm gobsmacked at the reaction from some.

Exactly Mikey, I honestly don't get some posters on here. He's given money to charity ffs yet still people like to have a pop at him.

Andy74
01-06-2011, 10:47 AM

That's a bit dramatic, he's not being attacked, people just don't agree that a testimonial, which is quite an unusual thing these days, is merited on this occasion.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Nothing tae do with being positive or negative as far as I'm concerned, it's an opinion. I disagree with testimonials period. Fitba players earn plenty, even Hibs ones. They will be on 2,3,4,5 times a week what most of those who are contributing tae their wages are on. I contribute enough towards their lifestyle while they are playing, I see nae reason why I should contribute tae it when they have finished up.

Spot on, and then to give a testimonial to someone who left to pick up bigger wages somewhere else is baffling to say the least? He forfeited any testimonial imo when he left.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Exactly Mikey, I honestly don't get some posters on here. He's given money to charity ffs yet still people like to have a pop at him.

Who is having a pop at him? :confused:

truehibernian
01-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I am just hoping that Ian keeps the money 'in house' and gives it to the Hibs defence..........they are very charitable after all :greengrin

Same as any game for me. If you can afford it and you can go, brilliant. If not, fair play.

I just feel that professionals like Ian Murray are exactly the kind of players we should be trying to use as role models for young players and for me he ticks a lot of boxes regards what you are after in a footballer in this day and age. I'll be going no doubt about it. Totally agree with the previous poster about Sauzee too.........getting Le God, Mixu, Russell and O'Neill back for the game would be a tremendous boost. It would be some after party too :greengrin

pentlando
01-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I'll certainly be going. For me, 10 years service is 10 years service, no matter how it is achieved. I've got no problem with players leaving Hibs, both for a realistic shot at Europe or to further their international careers. Great player, captained the club and as far as i've heard a top bloke. Can't see any major reason not to go :flag:

Andy74
01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Spot on, and then to give a testimonial to someone who left to pick up bigger wages somewhere else is baffling to say the least? He forfeited any testimonial imo when he left.

I could see back in the day when the guys would be tunring down potentially bigger pay days elsewhere to see out their time at the same clubs that these things were merited.

It would take a fair bit to persuade me that any player deserved one these days but as you say more baffling when the player has actually left the club for his prime years.

LancashireHibby
01-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Must admit I'd be a little disappointed if there wasn't a further announcement that the profits from the game will be donated to charity.

Saorsa
01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
I'll certainly be going. For me, 10 years service is 10 years service, no matter how it is achieved. I've got no problem with players leaving Hibs, both for a realistic shot at Europe or to further their international careers. Great player, captained the club and as far as i've heard a top bloke. Can't see any major reason not to go :flag:If ten years service broken or otherwise is the criteria, why did Pat McGinley no get one, he was a great servant tae the club.

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 10:57 AM

I think you will find that you had a pop at him.. Unless i'm reading this wrong??

pentlando
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
If ten years service broken or otherwise is the criteria, why did Pat McGinley no get one, he was a great servant tae the club.

Then he should have been offered one.

Beefster
01-06-2011, 10:59 AM

You're gobsmacked that some supporters question whether someone, who left the club under freedom of contract (thereby denying the club much needed transfer income) to go to Rangers, deserves a testimonial? Really?

Yeah, it's not the club's fault that they can't connect. It's the support's. SL will no doubt agree with you.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I think you will find that you had a pop at him.. Unless i'm reading this wrong??

You are reading it wrong.
Did he not piss off to the huns? Did he not get the big wage rise Hibs couldnt afford? Perhaps Rangers should give him the testimonial, they got the best years from him.

KWJ
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
If he were to get Latas, Franck, McGinley, McManus, John O'Neil, Matty Jack, Big Ulrik, Archie Lovell and co to play I'd be there. But then Murray would be overshadowed. Could play it against his youth team DU and Matty could keep the baw.

Thecat23
01-06-2011, 11:31 AM
You are reading it wrong.
Did he not piss off to the huns? Did he not get the big wage rise Hibs couldnt afford? Perhaps Rangers should give him the testimonial, they got the best years from him.

Rangers didn't get the best from him we did. He was injured alot while there. You asked who had a pop, i have told you YOU did. Yes he went to Rangers, But saying "He pissed off to the huns" is defo having a dig. Look you don't agree fair enough, just didn't think you needed to say it the way you did.

Baldy Foghorn
01-06-2011, 11:32 AM

What exactly has this testimonial got to do with the club connecting with the support.....The Club hardly connects with the fans from what I can see, and a testimonial is hardly going to change that.....

Franck is God
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
I agree with testimonials for players that have spent the majority of their careers at clubs on a continuous service not players that allow their contracts to run down so they can jump ship for a pay rise.

The only time Murray ever renewed a deal with us is when nobody else wanted him. I already contribute to his wages which if I'm honest I grudge anyway.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Rangers didn't get the best from him we did. He was injured alot while there. You asked who had a pop, i have told you YOU did. Yes he went to Rangers, But saying "He pissed off to the huns" is defo having a dig. Look you don't agree fair enough, just didn't think you needed to say it the way you did.

We will disagree, and i will tell you why. I dont think we should reward any player who leaves the club for bigger wages than he could get at Hibs. He left us under freedom of contract to get his big money move. Yet now we are being asked to reward him for that?

He pissed off thinking of his wage slip not hibs, who lost any transfer fee we might have got. Testimonial, he can ram it.

the_ginger_hibee
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Will he perform his trademark 'one finger salute' to the fans a la the Ivan Sproule 3-0 game?

Worth the entrance fee alone...

Pretty Boy
01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Never agreed with testimonials for players that have made a very good living out of football. Different for a player lower down the leagues who has not made a packet out of football.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Nothing to do with having a pop at the club, Ian Murray or anyone else. I just don't agree wwith well paid players getting a testimonial to further swell their bank balance. Even a 1st team player at Hibs, despite the propoganda from some suggesting otherwise, will be clearing around £100K a year. Do they really need another payday?

If it was announced all the money was going to charity then i would consider attending.

Carheenlea
01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Nobody is forcing anyone to attend this testimonial against their will.
I've enjoyed watching Ian Murray play for Hibs, and has given us good service, even if it's not been continuous.
Hopefully we can secure attractive opposition and it will be something to look forward to.

allezsauzee
01-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I assume this means he's not going to Dunfermline then? :greengrin

Albion Hibs
01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
I will defiantly be heading along. Our current club captain, possibly one of our youngest ever club captains, a guy that plays for shirt in every game regardless. He has done miles more for Hibs than many a player I can remember in my time so I would personally feel a bit out of order if I did not head along - at the end of the day it will be a cheap ticket to watch a game of football in honour of one of our own, why wouldn’t people go if they could afford it, they will only end up sitting on hibs net typing about it!!

I dont get all of this he has earned enough money, so what. How many people on here would not take it if there work offered it to them? The money is irrelevant, it is an acknowledgement.

Well done Ian, more than deserved.

Albion Hibs
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
We will disagree, and i will tell you why. I dont think we should reward any player who leaves the club for bigger wages than he could get at Hibs. He left us under freedom of contract to get his big money move. Yet now we are being asked to reward him for that?

He pissed off thinking of his wage slip not hibs, who lost any transfer fee we might have got. Testimonial, he can ram it.

Money will have been part of it - answer honestly if you were offered 4 times your wages someone where else would you turn it down? I can answer for your, I very much doubt would.

Further to the above I am sure the chance to win things and play in Europe was probably on his thinking like most other players. I can imagine as a kid growing up making it as a footballer and then playing in the Champions leauge is probably what it is all about. So I dont buy just the money arguement.

Murray as given many a year of his career to Hibs, this is a sign of respect. there was always going to be people that did not have enought in them to see past rangers and general complaining, but I hope there will be 10 times that amount have a different view and turn up for what is a big occasion for not only Ian but Hibernain Football Club.

SneakersO'Toole
01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I will defiantly be heading along. Our current club captain, possibly one of our youngest ever club captains, a guy that plays for shirt in every game regardless. He has done miles more for Hibs than many a player I can remember in my time so I would personally feel a bit out of order if I did not head along - at the end of the day it will be a cheap ticket to watch a game of football in honour of one of our own, why wouldn’t people go if they could afford it, they will only end up sitting on hibs net typing about it!!

I dont get all of this he has earned enough money, so what. How many people on here would not take it if there work offered it to them? The money is irrelevant, it is an acknowledgement.

Well said.

People need to get off their high horse regarding ther financial aspect and remember the point of these games. Acknowledgement and gratitude to someone who has been a good servant to the club.

He's already made enough money? Big deal! That what happens if you are fortunate enough to become a professional. Get over it. The money is irrelevant.

Saorsa
01-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Because I disagree with giving fitba players more money than the ridiculous amount they already earn. If they've no made enough in their time of playing they can go and find other gain full employment, or do their arms and legs fall off when they finish playing.

Well if it's just about acknowledgement and the money is irrelevant I'll go along for free then and acknowledge him then

Problem solved, we can have pay turnstiles and free turnstiles. Free turnstiles for those that want tae acknowledge him and pay turnstiles for those that want tae contribute tae his retirement.

I take it you'll still be going in the paying ones? :greengrin

3pm
01-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Well said.

People need to get off their high horse regarding ther financial aspect and remember the point of these games. Acknowledgement and gratitude to someone who has been a good servant to the club.

He's already made enough money? Big deal! That what happens if you are fortunate enough to become a professional. Get over it. The money is irrelevant.

If the money is irrelevant, he should give it all away!

HibbyAndy
01-06-2011, 12:15 PM
I'll be happy to go.

Me tae mate.

Eh.................HAUD RIGHT OAN A MINUTE HERE!!!!!!!! Whats the deal way ma Avatar :greengrin

Saorsa
01-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Me tae mate.

Eh.................HAUD RIGHT OAN A MINUTE HERE!!!!!!!! Whats the deal way ma Avatar :greengrin:hilarious

sleeping giant
01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
:hilarious

:hilarious

Albion Hibs
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Because I disagree with giving fitba players more money than the ridiculous amount they already earn. If they've no made enough in their time of playing they can go and find other gain full employment, or do their arms and legs fall off when they finish playing.

Well if it's just about acknowledgement and the money is irrelevant I'll go along for free then and acknowledge him then

Problem solved, we can have pay turnstiles and free turnstiles. Free turnstiles for those that want tae acknowledge him and pay turnstiles for those that want tae contribute tae his retirement.

I take it you'll still be going in the paying ones? :greengrin

As I said if you were offered an incentive at your work, would you walk past it and say, naw I feel like I have had enough in my life so just keep it - no you would not. Neither would anyone.

Seems like so long as it does not cost you a penny you are pretty happy with showing a bit of respect, funny how you can put a price on things! Does that mean you would also like the charity aspect to miss out as well or would you be happy to pay that bit despite the fact they no doubt benefit from a generous taxation status as charities.

At the end of the day there is always going to be these silly arguements about how much footballers do and do not earn, what they have, and how they dont need any more. It has nothing to do with that for me, I have seen Ian turn out hundreds of times for Hibs and play with his heart on his sleeve, so as a Hibs fan on one occasion I am more than happy to turn out for him.

Andy74
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Well said.

I don't get the need to acknowledge and show gratitude to someone for doing their job.

If he had gone over and above, aye, but he didn't he walked to an insitution I wouldn't touch for a million quid a year.

Maybe just me but I think anyone who has the chance should be grateful to play for us.

Lewis Stenvenson will probably qualify in a couple of years and I won't really be having that either!

jdships
01-06-2011, 01:01 PM
No time for Testimonials for top flight players unless like Alan Shearer all proceeds after expenses went to charity
The average punter age 65 , today, probably earned around £1,000,000 in a 50 year working life
Murray in a 10/15 year career will have earned at least twice that if not more .
Why does he, or any other player of that status need a "handout"
If someone has played part time for a lower division club for ten or more years then yes I would support that testimonial .
Back in the late 1990's Mcoist was reported to have pocketed £450000 form his testimonial

Albion Hibs wrote
At the end of the day there is always going to be these silly arguements about how much footballers do and do not earn, what they have, and how they dont need any more. It has nothing to do with that for me, I have seen Ian turn out hundreds of times for Hibs and play with his heart on his sleeve, so as a Hibs fan on one occasion I am more than happy to turn out for him.

OK then make it free or merely a token £1/ £3 entry fee to cover costs or all proceeds to charity .
I for one would support that willingly

Dunbar Hibee
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM

:top marks.

Some ridiculous comments on this thread...

db03
01-06-2011, 01:26 PM
People dont need to go if they dont want to. Hibernian football club clearly think he deserves a testemonial, so I will be there to show my support.

Albion Hibs
01-06-2011, 01:28 PM
No time for Testimonials for top flight players unless like Alan Shearer all proceeds after expenses went to charity
The average punter age 65 , today, probably earned around £1,000,000 in a 50 year working life
Murray in a 10/15 year career will have earned at least twice that if not more .
Why does he, or any other player of that status need a "handout"
If someone has played part time for a lower division club for ten or more years then yes I would support that testimonial .
Back in the late 1990's Mcoist was reported to have pocketed £450000 form his testimonial

Albion Hibs wrote

OK then make it free or merely a token £1/ £3 entry fee to cover costs or all proceeds to charity .
I for one would support that willingly

I dont understand what my quote has to do with making it £1 or £3. My view is that I am willing to pay whatever the gate price is on the basis Murray has put in a big service for our club - that is what I said above, you comment below is not in anyway related.

Again what a player does or does not earn is irrelevant. If I end up finishing work at the end of my professional career and my employer turned round and said, we were going to give you something but you have had more than the average joe, I would be pretty unhappy.

There cant have been that many players have had a testimonial for Hibs, it should be a big occasion for our fan base and I am sure it will be. This is the usual .net put a negative slant on something positive / take the chance to have a moan about money / what players earn etc etc.

If you are after a cheap day out go for walk in the park.

silverhibee
01-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Me too.

:top marks

Best thing you have said in the last couple of days. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Will Derek Riordan be getting a testimonial?

Dashing Bob S
01-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Surely Gary MacKay (aka Mr Hearts) would have had a full house for his do? I mean they are a big club, and he is a massive hero to them, and he won, er, lots of things for them. Does anyone know what the attendance was.

They usually do.

Never really impressed me as a leader, too quiet.

Jeez, you'd think more of them than that would have gone, especially if they had booked a big team for the opposition.

The official attendance was 400,052. However, discounting invisible season ticket holders only 52 turned up. This doesn't include the players who didn't pay at the gate but were definitely present.

jdships
01-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I dont understand what my quote has to do with making it £1 or £3. My view is that I am willing to pay whatever the gate price is on the basis Murray has put in a big service for our club - that is what I said above, you comment below is not in anyway related.

Again what a player does or does not earn is irrelevant. If I end up finishing work at the end of my professional career and my employer turned round and said, we were going to give you something but you have had more than the average joe, I would be pretty unhappy.

There cant have been that many players have had a testimonial for Hibs, it should be a big occasion for our fan base and I am sure it will be. This is the usual .net put a negative slant on something positive / take the chance to have a moan about money / what players earn etc etc.

If you are after a cheap day out go for walk in the park.[/B]

Sad that you forget one thing .
A discussion forum is all about individuals opinions and feelings about the thread
Just accept that everyone is entitled to express an opinion without the snide remarks being passed.
I will attend if the match is priced at a reasonable level with takings , or part, going to charity
This is getting close to another "I'm a better supporter than you because I will go to XXX's testimonial " type thread :greengrin

I have attended two testimonials in the past couple of years one for a Junior player and one for a Third Div player and was quite happy to pay my fiver for what IN MY OPINION were "good causes"

At the end of the if someone doesn't attend then do they not think as much of the player as those who do ?

:greengrin:rolleyes:

Greentinted
01-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I like Ian Murray.
When he is afforded a testimonial match I daresay I'll pop along
I am no better or worse than any other fan who will decide for themselves to attend such and event.
Each to their own I suppose.

marinello59
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Best thing you have said in the last couple of days. :greengrin

I caught myself quoting my own posts to tell me I was posting crap the other day. :greengrin

col02
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
It is not just an occassion for Ian Murray but for Hibs fans too to pay tribute to a player who has had a long association with Hibs. It might have been broken up by a couple seasons but if Riordan for example came back in a couple seasons to make 10 years total at Hibs I would welcome him having a testimonial too. Reality is a small club like Hibs will very rarely have a player put 10 years worth of service in as if they are good enough they can earn a lot more elsewhere and if they are not good enough for anyone else to sign well chances are we will not want them here 10 years.

Ian's legs might be starting to go but I will never doubt his commitment on the pitch when playing for Hibs! Glad for him to be awarded a testimonial and hopefully it will go on to prove a memorable season for him.

Albion Hibs
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Sad that you forget one thing .
A discussion forum is all about individuals opinions and feelings about the thread
Just accept that everyone is entitled to express an opinion without the snide remarks being passed.
I will attend if the match is priced at a reasonable level with takings , or part, going to charity
This is getting close to another "I'm a better supporter than you because I will go to XXX's testimonial " type thread :greengrin

I have attended two testimonials in the past couple of years one for a Junior player and one for a Third Div player and was quite happy to pay my fiver for what IN MY OPINION were "good causes"

At the end of the if someone doesn't attend then do they not think as much of the player as those who do ?

:greengrin:rolleyes:

I did not say you were not entitled to your opinion, or to define what is and is not a "good cause". you made a comment on what I said, I made one on what you said. Move one.

I would suggest in response to your question, financial position aside, those who think something of him as a player, and share the view that they would like to see him have this day will go along. I think you are going for the very simplistic view and trying to lead me down the uber fan route.

At the end of the day I think he deserves it, you dont. Fine. In my view he has given 10 years to hibs and as a hibs fan/kid probably dreamt of the day he got a testimonail for hibs. You dont think he deserves it because he played for rangers for two years.

silverhibee
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I caught myself quoting my own posts to tell me I was posting crap the other day. :greengrin

:thumbsup:

silverhibee
01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
It is not just an occassion for Ian Murray but for Hibs fans too to pay tribute to a player who has had a long association with Hibs. It might have been broken up by a couple seasons but if Riordan for example came back in a couple seasons to make 10 years total at Hibs I would welcome him having a testimonial too. Reality is a small club like Hibs will very rarely have a player put 10 years worth of service in as if they are good enough they can earn a lot more elsewhere and if they are not good enough for anyone else to sign well chances are we will not want them here 10 years.

Ian's legs might be starting to go but I will never doubt his commitment on the pitch when playing for Hibs! Glad for him to be awarded a testimonial and hopefully it will go on to prove a memorable season for him.

How long has Deek done in his two spells at Hibs, 7 in his first spell and 3 in his second i think.

fat freddy
01-06-2011, 04:16 PM
i heard tam was a bluenose before he started working for hibs...

ian murray states that only 8 or 9 players have recieved testimonials...having attended a few, im wondering if any statos have the definitive list..?

i recall...pat stanton's, alan sneddon's, gordon hunter's, gordon rae's...

SunshineOnLeith
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
For many of the reasons already stated I don't agree with him getting a testimonial. When he signed for Rangers under freedom of contract he'd of got a big signing on fee as they didn't have to pay a transfer fee, so don't think we should feel any obligation to provide him another big payday.

Worst of all, it means he'll still be at Hibs for another season, when simply put his legs have gone and he's not good enough any more.

Only way I'll be going is if we get a really good opposition team, or the likes of Sauzee come back for it.

col02
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
How long has Deek done in his two spells at Hibs, 7 in his first spell and 3 in his second i think.

I reckoned he(Riordan) has done 9 seasons with Hibs after the one just passed and personally think Hibs missed a trick in not offering him a new deal with a testimonial thrown in.

Greentinted
01-06-2011, 04:30 PM
i heard tam was a bluenose before he started working for hibs...

ian murray states that only 8 or 9 players have recieved testimonials...having attended a few, im wondering if any statos have the definitive list..?

i recall...pat stanton's, alan sneddon's, gordon hunter's, gordon rae's...

Arthur Duncan and Gordon Smith spring to mind.

Beefster
01-06-2011, 04:59 PM

I reckoned he(Riordan) has done 9 seasons with Hibs after the one just passed and personally think Hibs missed a trick in not offering him a new deal with a testimonial thrown in.

Riordan's played in the first team in eight different seasons. Murray's done it in ten.

Bishop Hibee
01-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I'll be there although I have reservations. If he'd gone down south rather than the Huns (same if it had been Celtc or Hertz) and then returned it would have been slightly more acceptable.

Ideally, it should be for 10 years+ continuous service. Pat McGinlay didn't get one because of his 1 season with Celtc.

If we're letting Murray have a Testimonial, use the carrot of a Testimonial season at the end of his next contract to get Deek to sign up.

Westie1875
01-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I'll be there, hopefully Hibs will manage to get some decent opposition for it.

Lofarl
01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Ian Murray could have played every game for Hibs,scored winning goals in cup finals, donated 90% of his earnings to charity and got a massive Hibs tattoo. Yet some people on here would still moan at him having a testimonial.

Honestly there has been a right dour attitude on this board for ages now. I know this will attract the usual sour pussed sarcastic responses. Christ I can't wait for preseason to start, at least we can vent at the team then.

HibbyAndy
01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Ill be going if only for that 7-0 tattoo he had on the back of heid at slime castle years ago:not worth

Baldy Foghorn
01-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Ill be going if only for that 7-0 tattoo he had on the back of heid at slime castle years ago:not worth

Was it not 1973 shaved into the back of his hair? Or is my memory and age coming into play and making me a diddy?:greengrin

marinello59
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Was it not 1973 shaved into the back of his hair? Or is my memory and age coming into play and making me a diddy?:greengrin

It was.
Your second sentence may still be accurate though.:greengrin

HibbyAndy
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Aye that was it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:greengrin

Franck is God
01-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Ian Murray could have played every game for Hibs,scored winning goals in cup finals, donated 90% of his earnings to charity and got a massive Hibs tattoo. Yet some people on here would still moan at him having a testimonial.

Thats not even slightly true, everyone who disagrees with Murray getting a testimonial have the exact same reason. He left, simple as that. Had he signed his new deal rather than go to Rangers then quite rightly he would be considered a legend and very deserving of a testimonial. Remember part of the reason for a testimonial is for loyalty.

When he left he was in the best form of his career and our club captain, he will not have been offered sweeties to stay on and would still have made very good money at ER but still chose to leave. I have no issues with him going when he did but I do think that the club have made a mistake honouring a player that abandoned his team when they were on the up. Arguably Murray leaving started the dismantling of that team.

Baldy Foghorn
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
It was.
Your second sentence may still be accurate though.:greengrin

True lol:greengrin

turn and burn
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
its only human nature to want to expand your skills/abilities, so taking opportunities when they come up are natural. Its not just the fact he chose to come back to hibs that merits admiration; IM always got stuck in and truely fought for the team! I'll be there!

Www1875hfc
01-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Newcastle Utd should provide a good quality opposition.

The_Sauz
01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
For all the older Hibs fans on here that are saying that they will not go to IM testimonial......how may of you went to Pat Stanton's testimonial?
Remember he did piss off to Celtic (as BH puts it :wink:) for bigger wages & a chance to win something other that a League cup & 2 Drybrough Cups :agree:

Zondervan
01-06-2011, 06:20 PM
For all the older Hibs fans on here that are saying that they will not go to IM testimonial......how may of you went to Pat Stanton's testimonial?
Remember he did piss off to Celtic (as BH puts it :wink:) for bigger wages & a chance to win something other that a League cup & 2 Drybrough Cups :agree:

Who's THE Daddy!!! We have a winner!

This will clamp up the majority of the cynical posters on this thread :na na:

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 06:21 PM

There is a huge difference between Pat and Ian. Pat had done what 15 years unbroken service, and Turnbull wanted him out. Murray never gave us a second thought chasing the dosh.

I dont blame Murray, but he does not deserve a testimonial for running his contract down ensuring we recieved nothing. We actually got Jackie Mac for Pat too, we did well out the deal.

jdships
01-06-2011, 06:33 PM
I did not say you were not entitled to your opinion, or to define what is and is not a "good cause". you made a comment on what I said, I made one on what you said. Move one.

I would suggest in response to your question, financial position aside, those who think something of him as a player, and share the view that they would like to see him have this day will go along. I think you are going for the very simplistic view and trying to lead me down the uber fan route.

At the end of the day I think he deserves it, you dont. Fine. In my view he has given 10 years to hibs and as a hibs fan/kid probably dreamt of the day he got a testimonail for hibs. You dont think he deserves it because he played for rangers for two years.

I totally accept your right to express an opinion and have no problems with that - I just don't agree with it .
Please show me where I made any mention of Ian Murray playing for Rangers - if not an apology would be nice .
As it happened I was in his company the day after he signed for the Huns and was one of a number of Hibs supporters who shook his hand and wished him well.
I support totally any Scottish player who moves on to improve his financial position - why shouldn't he do just that ?.
My argument ,against testimonials, is purely a financial one - why should a FULL TIME player , regardless who he is , pick up a fortune paid for by the supporters .
Smacks of Bank Bonuses :greengrin
Only my opinion of course :wink:

The_Sauz
01-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Do you think Pat would have been here that long if he had an agent and was on a 2/3 years contract....doubt it!!

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Do you think Pat would have been here that long if he had an agent and was on a 2/3 years contract....doubt it!!

Probably not, he'd have left for an Arsenal or Man United. And if he'd come back after getting his big payday, i'd not be giving him a testimonial either.

darwenhibby
01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Probably not, he'd have left for an Arsenal or Man United. And if he'd come back after getting his big payday, i'd not be giving him a testimonial either.

I would go to an IM testimonial, no problem.

Bar a couple of years at DER Hun for better wages he is Mr Hibs.

steakbake
01-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I would go to an IM testimonial, no problem.

Bar a couple of years at DER Hun for better wages he is Mr Hibs.

Exactly. Not sure why people should get their knickers in a twist. He's been with Hibs since a youth, barring a couple of seasons elsewhere. Fair play.

SunshineOnLeith
01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
What loyalty or commitment has Ian Murray really ever shown to Hibs? He's never signed a contract with Hibs other than when he's had no other offers.

Hibby D
01-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Me too.

Ian Murray is a professional who, in my book, is worthy of a celebration of his time with Hibs. I'll be there :agree:

JimBHibees
01-06-2011, 09:01 PM
For many of the reasons already stated I don't agree with him getting a testimonial. When he signed for Rangers under freedom of contract he'd of got a big signing on fee as they didn't have to pay a transfer fee, so don't think we should feel any obligation to provide him another big payday.

Worst of all, it means he'll still be at Hibs for another season, when simply put his legs have gone and he's not good enough any more.
Only way I'll be going is if we get a really good opposition team, or the likes of Sauzee come back for it.

Nothing against the guy but that is my view also. At a time we are meant to be looking for quality IM hasnt got it and personally would have preferred he left never mind being a little bizarrely rewarded with a testimonial.

hibby64
01-06-2011, 09:51 PM
too many on this forum have not watched hibs for ten years in a row, yet they think they are a judge, most on here a negative disgrace, so to keep this short :piss off: few months ago most was calling for him to be captain then a few weeks later his legs were gone. we have a great support but we are so close to being divided forever.so how does this sound how about supporting the board the manager and the team at the same time i know it unusual on here but lets try.

marinello59
01-06-2011, 10:00 PM
too many on this forum have not watched hibs for ten years in a row, yet they think they are a judge, most on here a negative disgrace, so to keep this short :piss off: few months ago most was calling for him to be captain then a few weeks later his legs were gone. we have a great support but we are so close to being divided forever.so how does this sound how about supporting the board the manager and the team at the same time i know it unusual on here but lets try.

Perhaps best not to tell people you want to convert to your positive way of thinking to p off. :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
02-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I wasn't one of the posters claiming he should never be welcome back at Easter Road after leaving (good on him for wanting to come back - may well have got a better deal else where) however I think you lose the right to a testomonial when you leave a club through choice.

Also agree that football players have enough money but seeing as he's giving it to a charity that's not relevant in this case.

However, if he gives the money to a good cause (even our youth accademy) then I'm not that bothered and would probably go if I lived locally.

Cabbage East
02-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Newcastle Utd should provide a good quality opposition.

Is that confirmed like?

Captain Trips
02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
A testimonal will be a success based on who goes and the ones who go will feel he is deserving of it and the ones whom do not will not attend and that is fine.

For me a testimonial is about a player whom has showen great loyalty to the club when really had chance to try something new but stayed, about being a consistant player season after season about giving us the best years of his career.

IMO Murray doesnt tick all the boxes I feel are deserving of a match. I feel players get enough accolades weekly without a night all about them, I just do not think Murray has done anything special enough to merit such a night.

There are folk I am sure on here who have had season tickets 20, 30 40yrs+ yet I never hear about their loyalty. Players get enough credit in the game.

lucky
02-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Testimonials are always a bit of con. Highly paid players getting another bag of cash. Ian Murray did choose to leave Hibs for better money. His choice as such leaving Hibs in my book means he should not be given a testimonial year. I also think if he is the standard of player we are pinning our hopes on this year then I think are in all sorts

Hamish
02-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Ian Murray is a professional who, in my book, is worthy of a celebration of his time with Hibs. I'll be there :agree:

Correct. Watching his interview with BBC Scotland merely confirms my view that he will go on to become a manager at some point. Articulate and level headed lad.

Simple choice if you don't agree with Ian being given a testimonial, don't go.

matty_f
02-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Me too.

Same here. :agree:

3pm
02-06-2011, 11:13 PM
How did Murray get on with the acknowledgement of the fans on the last day of the season?!

Joy Zipper
03-06-2011, 07:28 AM
I think that he's taking all of the fans for mugs.

I'm sure that for the last 8-10 years he has earned substantially more than 99% of Hibs fans. Probably an average of over £200k pa.

"But it's a short career and he has to look after his family" I hear you shout. Absolute nonsense. Try to pull that line on your boss come wage negotiation time.

He'll have a fair whack in his bank account, a nice house with no mortgage and a tidy pension pot too (which he can get his hands on earlier than most). I'm sure that if he needs to he'll get another job after finishing playing.

Testimonials were from an age when players weren't earning ridiculous sums of money and are incongrous in todays game.

As for donation part of the proceeds to good causes, this is only to appease people and I'm fairly certain that it will be a small percentage - otherwise he would have stated the amount.

I won't be there. It's nothing personal against IM, the whole thought of a modern day player having a testimonial sticks in my throat.

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2011, 08:26 AM
I think that he's taking all of the fans for mugs.

I'm sure that for the last 8-10 years he has earned substantially more than 99% of Hibs fans. Probably an average of over £200k pa.

"But it's a short career and he has to look after his family" I hear you shout. Absolute nonsense. Try to pull that line on your boss come wage negotiation time.

He'll have a fair whack in his bank account, a nice house with no mortgage and a tidy pension pot too (which he can get his hands on earlier than most). I'm sure that if he needs to he'll get another job after finishing playing.

Testimonials were from an age when players weren't earning ridiculous sums of money and are incongrous in todays game.

As for donation part of the proceeds to good causes, this is only to appease people and I'm fairly certain that it will be a small percentage - otherwise he would have stated the amount.

I won't be there. It's nothing personal against IM, the whole thought of a modern day player having a testimonial sticks in my throat.

:top marksUnless IM states that every penny raised is going to charity I will not attend.
I can't believe that anyone would contemplate attending a testimonial where the player himself is going to benefit from the cash!!! We spend enough of our hard earned cash watching these overpaid under performing "professionals" without lining their pockets even further through benefit matches. :grr: