PDA

View Full Version : Kids Books

sleeping giant
31-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi , Looking for some recommendations for kids books.

Just finished Treasure Island. Done Robinson Crusoe and Tom Sawyer and all 13 books in the series of unfortunate events which is fantastic btw.

Any ideas ? Any series of books worth buying ?

Just bought the Hobbit tonight.

Kids in question are 11 and 9.

Cheers

EH6 Hibby
31-05-2011, 10:08 PM

Just finished Treasure Island. Done Robinson Crusoe and Tom Sawyer and all 13 books in the series of unfortunate events which is fantastic btw.

Cheers

Have you read the Harry Potter books? I'm reading them to my son, he's only 6, and I think they're a bit advanced for him, but he's absolutely loving them, it's taking forever because I'm having to stop and explain it to him all the time but your kids sound the perfect age for it.

sleeping giant
31-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Have you read the Harry Potter books? I'm reading them to my son, he's only 6, and I think they're a bit advanced for him, but he's absolutely loving them, it's taking forever because I'm having to stop and explain it to him all the time but your kids sound the perfect age for it.

I've been trying to talk them round to Harry Potter but they are not too keen as they have been "getting forced to read them as School":greengrin

Good call , i might just force them.

Wembley67
31-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Narnia chronicles?

ArabHibee
31-05-2011, 10:22 PM
The Hobbit?
That could be classed as child cruelty.

EH6 Hibby
31-05-2011, 10:29 PM
I've been trying to talk them round to Harry Potter but they are not too keen as they have been "getting forced to read them as School":greengrin

Good call , i might just force them.

They'll love them, 400 million people can't be wrong. :greengrin

As someone else said, the Narnia books are great, and I would also suggest Roald Dahl for the younger one.

nonshinyfinish
01-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Roald Dahl definitely, maybe Alice in Wonderland too.

I can't recommend The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Modern-Classics-Phantom-Tollbooth/dp/0006754252/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306911274&sr=8-3) highly enough - this was my favourite book when I was young, it's marvellous.

Wembley67
02-06-2011, 08:02 AM
The Adventure Series by Willard Price - absolutely brilliant, read them when I was wee and my nephew is reading them just now, can't put them down and also gives them an understanding of the natural world.

number 27
02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Some good suggestions there. I will add "Skulduggery Pleasant" by Derek Landy. My 11yo really enjoyed this one but it may be slightly challenging for the 9yo.

jabis
02-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Terry Pratchett,the Discword Novels,you'll be sorted for a whole year :thumbsup:

start with the Death Trilogy....or the Witches Trilogy.........or the Gaurds T...........you get the drift :greengrin

GhostofBolivar
03-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Neil Gaiman. Coraline, Stardust and The Graveyard Book.

Betty Boop
08-06-2011, 01:48 PM
"The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The night" by Mark Haddon is excellent.

lyonhibs
08-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Old school it may be, but the "Just William" series had me engrossed for HOURS on long car journeys when I was a bairn.

"The Silver Sword" by Ian Serraillier isn't a comedy, but it's a fantastic kids book.

derekHFC
08-06-2011, 02:40 PM
The Famous Five and The Secret Seven were great books when i was a nipper :greengrin

Twa Cairpets
08-06-2011, 02:56 PM
My 11 year old has just raced through all the "Series of Unfortunate Events" books - she loved them. She also recommends Darren Shan "Cirque de freak" books and Harry Potter.

PeeJay
08-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Cheers

How about

Somewhat oldish:

Kidnapped - RLS
The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame

Somewhat more recent

"His Dark Materials" (Trilogy: "Northern Lights" + "The Subtle Knife" + "The Amber Spyglass") - Philip Pullmann (Great read!)

Foudn this link with some good tips -
http://www.motherreader.com/2010/04/top-100-childrens-novels.html