PDA

View Full Version : Media Hibs Scouting co-ordinator - David Woodison

PaulSmith
31-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm just curious as to whether anyone knows about the guy with a fairly senior position within Hibs.

I'm presuming this is the one and the same guy here but not sure of credentials gained since?

http://www.killiefc.com/DoYouRemember/DavidWoodison.htm

Also it would appear he run the Killie Supporters Club in Edinburgh as recently as 3 years ago.

Generally just interested in the guy as can't recall any official announcement or comment

DC_Hibs
31-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Sure he used to post on here - thedoomed?

I emailed the club over a year back with a suggestion to try for a young german right back on loan and think it was this guy who replied.

No doubt this thread will be brought to his attention. Sebastian Jung was the players name and he will likely be sold for between £3-£5m this summer. He was third choice at the time though..... altho the response was that there wouldnt be enough time in the window to check him out.

Matty Jack would be a good contact for Hibs re German players as he himself mentioned in Holland in the summer.

Here to help.

Baldy
13-11-2011, 02:21 PM
head from a number of sources that the guy in Question (Woodison) is Scott Lindsay's brother in law and that he was brought in to be "chief scout" without Yogi's agreement and totally against his wishes, Calderwood also did not wish him to be in that position but was told he would be the guy to scout players.

Wasn't sure how much of that was correct especially after the board said on Tuesday at the AGM that they always did what the "manager wanted" with regards the football side of things.

however I have been told that the Sunday mail has a piece on this today.:confused:

Saorsa
13-11-2011, 02:29 PM
head from a number of sources that the guy in Question (Woodison) is Scott Lindsay's brother in law and that he was brought in to be "chief scout" without Yogi's agreement and totally against his wishes, Calderwood also did not wish him to be in that position but was told he would be the guy to scout players.

Wasn't sure how much of that was correct especially after the board said on Tuesday at the AGM that they always did what the "manager wanted" with regards the football side of things.

however I have been told that the Sunday mail has a piece on this today.:confused:Would be interesting tae find out if there's any truth in that. Wouldnae exactly fit in with the boards nae interference in fitba matters statements. Then there was Derek Adams thing, who's idea was his appointment?

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2011, 02:32 PM
"If he guides us to Europe, I’d do my best to be there, pissed, the right way to follow Killie. "

Former Player in drinking claim shocker!

"i don't recognise that characterisation" :)

Baldy
13-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Would be interesting tae find out if there's any truth in that. Wouldnae exactly fit in with the boards nae interference in fitba matters statements.

I was told this a few times before the AGM but to be honest I didnt really know how much of it was true but I have heard it from another 2 people since Tuesday,

the other thing that worries me is that this lad is very very young to be in, what is the "chief scout" role, how does he have the trusted contacts at that age, surely a network of contacts takes many years to get?

Kaiser1962
13-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I was told this a few times before the AGM but to be honest I didnt really know how much of it was true but I have heard it from another 2 people since Tuesday,

the other thing that worries me is that this lad is very very young to be in, what is the "chief scout" role, how does he have the trusted contacts at that age, surely a network of contacts takes many years to get?

You sure you got the right guy?

TheEastTerrace
13-11-2011, 02:47 PM
If true, would concern me. What are his qualifications and credentials for the job?

Is this for sure? Would lead me to seriously question the club's approach to scouting players, if so.

I would advocate the club looking at how Lyon built their success in France and the club's approach to scouting players and the transfer market. Somebody will say 'ah, but they are a Champions League club who have won the French title loads of times recently. We don't have the resources'. Well, they started from the French second division in the late 1980s and worked their way up from there.

Kaiser1962
13-11-2011, 02:54 PM

How old do you think Woodison is?

lucky
13-11-2011, 02:55 PM
One of the columnist, cant remember which one, in the Sunday mail made references to Hibs backroom team and made reference that someone got a job on the back of being a relation to a director. When I read it I did not have a clue but it now makes a bit more sense. What is clear whoever comes in must be given control of all footballing appointments.

Baldy
13-11-2011, 02:55 PM
You sure you got the right guy?

yep, maybe its the old fashioned football way, but I would imagine that the position of chief scout would be a guy in his late 40's to 50's with around 20 years of experience of scouting players and gaining reliable contacts.

Baldy
13-11-2011, 02:57 PM
How old do you think Woodison is?

if its the same guy that used to play for Killie then he is 26

Saorsa
13-11-2011, 02:59 PM
One of the columnist, cant remember which one, in the Sunday mail made references to Hibs backroom team andmade reference that someone got a job on the back of being a relation to a director. When I read it I did not have a clue but it now makes a bit more sense. What is clear whoever comes in must be given control of all footballing appointments.Not only interference then but nepotism as well :tsk tsk:

Kaiser1962
13-11-2011, 03:02 PM
if its the same guy that used to play for Killie then he is 26

I dont think it is. Either that or he has had a really hard paper round.

Kaiser1962
13-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Not only interference then but nepotism as well :tsk tsk:

You're not sure though.

Baldy
13-11-2011, 03:04 PM
It's Gordon Waddell

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/gordonwaddell/2011/11/turn-over-new-leith.html#more

And the answer is: Control.

Petrie will defend his record and say every manager has been given the resources to change the team, but he'd be being disingenuous.

He doesn't give them control. Never says: "Your playing budget is £x, spend it as you see fit."

He asks for their list and says he'll do his best to negotiate. So when personnel DO come in, they're rarely the guys at the top of the "wants".

That has to change. As does his reticence to allow a boss to bring his own staff. Dressing rooms are built on trust and no manager wants to feel like he has guys around him who aren't loyal.

So that means if the new guy wants to clean out the physios' room, wants his own chief scout instead of someone's relative, give him it.

Saorsa
13-11-2011, 03:05 PM
You're not sure though.You're right that's why I said in my 1st post it would be interesting if there was any truth in it. And even if he's nae relation who ever he is, it seems he was appointed against the manager's wishes. That's interference in fitba matters IMO.

But that disnae happen, right?

Baldy
13-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I dont think it is. Either that or he has had a really hard paper round.

just had it confirmed on the phone and it is the same guy who played for Killie

he has had the same problem as me, ate too many pies over last few years:wink:

Kaiser1962
13-11-2011, 03:20 PM
just had it confirmed on the phone and it is the same guy who played for Killie

he has had the same problem as me, ate too many pies over last few years:wink:

Me too.

He's in this photo then apparently, judge for yourself.

http://www.justgiving.com/Hibernian-Runners/3

Kaiser1962
13-11-2011, 03:25 PM
You're right that's why I said in my 1st post it would be interesting if there was any truth in it. And even if he's nae relation who ever he is, it seems he was appointed against the manager's wishes. That's interference in fitba matters IMO.

But that disnae happen, right?

Do you have proof that it does?

If Yogi didnt appoint David Woodison (if he's the current chief scout) then he has every right to come out and say so as Rod would have been clearly lying. After all he has plenty to say at other times.

There may also be legal issues involved about deliberately lying to shareholders.

Saorsa
13-11-2011, 03:26 PM

however I have been told that the Sunday mail has a piece on this today.:confused:That's interesting again. I was looking back over the AGM thread about who is responsible for the chief scout and the answer tae the question was

The chief scout can be changed if the manager chooses. The current chief scout was employed by John Hughes.:hmmm:

Kaiser1962
13-11-2011, 03:29 PM
That's interesting again. I was looking back over the AGM thread about who is responsible for the chief scout and the answer tae the question was
:hmmm:

My point exactly.

Whether he's related to SL, or anybody else for that matter, I dont give a hoot. If it so happens he's sleeping with FH I really couldnt care less.

If, however, he is not qualified to do the job then thats a different matter entirely.

Saorsa
13-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Do you have proof that it does?

If Yogi didnt appoint David Woodison (if he's the current chief scout) then he has every right to come out and say so as Rod would have been clearly lying. After all he has plenty to say at other times.

There may also be legal issues involved about deliberately lying to shareholders.Where did I say I had any proof of anything. I'm just comparing the 3rd post tae the answer given at the AGM.

Maybe it's just a coincidence and Yogi did appointed Lindsay's brother in law as chief scout.

Kaiser1962
13-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Where did I say I had any proof of anything. I'm just comparing the 3rd post tae the answer given at the AGM.

Maybe it's just a coincidence and Yogi did appointed Lindsay's brother in law as chief scout.

We dont know thats what happened though.

As prevous posts have said, and been confirmed, the guy is 26. Check the link below and tell me which of these guys you think is 26.

As i said in my previous post I don't really care who he's related to but if he's not qualified to be in post then theres a huge problem.

Saorsa
13-11-2011, 04:09 PM

As prevous posts have said, and been confirmed, the guy is 26. Check the link below and tell me which of these guys you think is 26.

As i said in my previous post I don't really care who he's related to but if he's not qualified to be in post then theres a huge problem.Maybe he's had a hard life and taken tae the pies but the guy in the white T-Shirt - a stone (at least in the face) looks a bit like the guy in the link in the 1st post (or maybe it's just me).

pic (http://www.killiefc.com/Season 2002-03/KilmarnockFC/PlayerProfiles/DavidWoodison.jpg)

I dinnae really care who he's related tae either (though it'd be a mighty coincidence that he just happened tae be related tae a board member) I'm only really interested in the part of the rumour that he was appointed against the wishes of Hughes and wisnae wanted by Calderwood either, that would be interference. I'm no saying it's true one way or the other or accusing anybody of anything but I wouldnae find it hard tae believe.

Saorsa
13-11-2011, 04:10 PM
It's Gordon Waddell

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/gordonwaddell/2011/11/turn-over-new-leith.html#more

And the answer is: Control.
That may come from somebody at the daily record and I wouldnae normally give it the time of day but it fits perfectly, Petrie the control freak and interferer sounds right tae me, he's the common denominator.

greenlex
13-11-2011, 05:14 PM
That may come from somebody at the daily record and I wouldnae normally give it the time of day but it fits perfectly, Petrie the control freak and interferer sounds right tae me, he's the common denominator.

So you could believe that Petrie would appoint Lindsay's Brother in law to keep control?

Beefster
13-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Me too.

He's in this photo then apparently, judge for yourself.

As i said in my previous post I don't really care who he's related to but if he's not qualified to be in post then theres a huge problem.

I'm almost certain that the guy in the Hibs charity run photo is the same guy as in the Killie article (who was released in 2002/03). According to the Killie website, he turned 26 in February.

Considering that he gave up full-time football around the age of 17 before going on to do a Business and Economics degree at HW for four years, I'd love to know what he did in the two years after Uni to qualify him as a Chief Scout (let's assume that he did more than marry a sibling of Lindsay or his missus).

I might become a Chief Scout if you only need two years to become one!

truehibernian
13-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm almost certain that the guy in the Hibs charity run photo is the same guy as in the Killie article (who was released in 2002/03). According to the Killie website, he turned 26 in February.

Considering that he gave up full-time football around the age of 17 before going on to do a Business and Economics degree at HW for four years, I'd love to know what he did in the two years after Uni to qualify him as a Chief Scout (let's assume that he did more than marry a sibling of Lindsay or his missus).

I might become a Chief Scout if you only need two years to become one!

The thing is beefster, I really wouldn't be worrying too much about his role or that of 'chief scout'.

I know two or three scouts and they pretty much act either independantly, or indeed at the bequest of a manager (and report to him informally, by-passing any scouting mechanism in place at the club). Many times it happens that it is an ex player who is friendly with the manager (as is in the case of one of the Oldham scouts I know.....he is best mates with Paul Dickov).

Add into the mix the 'scouts' that watch juvenile football and attract youth players, there are literally hundreds out there.

I would think the role of 'chief scout' is to collate and review many of the CV's, faxes, tip off's and updated Bosman's. Then report this back. A bit like a manager's PA. Saying that, if he didn't spot the flaws in Valdas Trakys' CV then deary me :greengrin

BEEJ
13-11-2011, 05:37 PM
The thing is beefster, I really wouldn't be worrying too much about his role or that of 'chief scout'.

I know two or three scouts and they pretty much act either independantly, or indeed at the bequest of a manager (and report to him informally, by-passing any scouting mechanism in place at the club). Many times it happens that it is an ex player who is friendly with the manager (as is in the case of one of the Oldham scouts I know.....he is best mates with Paul Dickov).

Add into the mix the 'scouts' that watch juvenile football and attract youth players, there are literally hundreds out there.

I would think the role of 'chief scout' is to collate and review many of the CV's, faxes, tip off's and updated Bosman's. Then report this back. A bit like a manager's PA. Saying that, if he didn't spot the flaws in Valdas Trakys' CV then deary me :greengrin
There are a few aspects of this that don't sit well if this is true:

1) Woodison's experience and aptitude for the post. Even a Chief Scout with the role of collating the reports of others has to be able to make a shrewd judgment himself before putting the player forward as an option for the Manager to consider. Otherwise even I could do the job! :rolleyes:

2) Was Woodison chosen for what he could bring to the role or was it just convenient nepotism plus the benefit of a relatively cheap option in hiring someone who's not yet 30?

3) Given his close links with SL, does the Chief Scout report exclusively to the Manager as he should do or is there the 'risk of interference' from the Board?

Not a healthy arrangement, if truth be told. I'm sincerely hoping there are two David Woodisons and ours is not the former Killie player.

Bostonhibby
13-11-2011, 05:49 PM

1) Woodison's experience and aptitude for the post. Even a Chief Scout with the role of collating the reports of others has to be able to make a shrewd judgment himself before putting the player forward as an option for the Manager to consider. Otherwise even I could do the job! :rolleyes:

2) Was Woodison chosen for what he could bring to the role or was it just convenient nepotism plus the benefit of a relatively cheap option in hiring someone who's not yet 30?

3) Given his close links with SL, does the Chief Scout report exclusively to the Manager as he should do or is there the 'risk of interference' from the Board?

Not a healthy arrangement, if truth be told. I'm sincerely hoping there are two David Woodisons and ours is not the former Killie player.

:agree:If he's chief scout, its a key position - he must be the Hibs equivalent of Ray Mears, when the going gets tough he is the guy that can find his way home from a George Street club by the stars after drinking a litre of sambuca on a Friday night before a match.

He will know which mushrooms you can eat, which ones are actually killer toadstools and of course will know his magic mushrooms which have been a big factor in some of our recent performances and managers post match interviews.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-11-2011, 06:12 PM
:agree:If he's chief scout, its a key position - he must be the Hibs equivalent of Ray Mears, when the going gets tough he is the guy that can find his way home from a George Street club by the stars after drinking a litre of sambuca on a Friday night before a match.

He will know which mushrooms you can eat, which ones are actually killer toadstools and of course will know his magic mushrooms which have been a big factor in some of our recent performances and managers post match interviews.

I'm sure there's an iPhone app for that ;)

IWasThere2016
13-11-2011, 06:28 PM

It is the same guy. Told he's a smug, and not very knpwledgeable about the game. Was also told he was Yogi's appointment, and reports to RP. I have no idea if he's related to SL.

Dashing Bob S
13-11-2011, 06:33 PM
He's coming across well on this forum!

bingo70
13-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Considering cc's signings were nearly all ex players of ours, players that had played for him before or players he'd tried to buy before there wasn't much scouting going on by the looks of things

jdships
13-11-2011, 06:48 PM
He's coming across well on this forum!

:top marks
34 posts and we are no further forward with knowing who he really is / what he really does/ who he is really related to/who he was appointed by / what color underpants he really wears , what his dog's name is etc , etc .
Is his name really Woodison ? :rolleyes:
A real "Mystery Man"

:greengrin:wink:

Bostonhibby
13-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Considering cc's signings were nearly all ex players of ours, players that had played for him before or players he'd tried to buy before there wasn't much scouting going on by the looks of things

:agree: but everyone of the current squad know how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together and a few of them have got their orienteering badges.:wink:

Perspective
13-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Scott Lindsay was asked directly about him at the AGM.

He said John Hughes hired him. He didn't, so I'll take anything else he says in the future with a pinch of salt.

1875 NO 1
13-11-2011, 07:17 PM

He said John Hughes hired him. He didn't, so I'll take anything else he says in the future with a pinch of salt.

yogi wanted a scout from falkirk as i understand it

1875 NO 1
13-11-2011, 07:25 PM

however I have been told that the Sunday mail has a piece on this today.:confused:

I have been told he is scott lyndsay's brother in law. On checking him out it is a mystery what he has done / achieved it fiba to have such a crucial role at Hibs.

It seens unbeliveible if this is true. Tom Farner said at the AGM there must be better comms. I'd expect a full statement on hibs web site to clear this matter up. also, demonstrable evidence as to what woody has achived since working in the IT industry and studying at University to warrant such a role.

There is strong information to suggest petrie likes his staff working in the fitba dept so gets 1st hand info as to what is going on.

IWasThere2016
13-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Interesting. This alongside the highest director getting £88k - previously £75k - but nobody got a rise.

Andy74
13-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Interesting. This alongside the highest director getting £88k - previously £75k - but nobody got a rise.

Have you phoned, written or whatever to get an explanation for this, which I assume there is? Might save this being mentioned every day until next year as if it's a big deal.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Have you phoned, written or whatever to get an explanation for this, which I assume there is? Might save this being mentioned every day until next year as if it's a big deal.

Probably too busy, although he might see if he can bump into him behind the goals on one of the three times he does manage to get all the way down to easter road, thats assuming he's not still giving the club a wide berth and depriving the club of that £60 odd quid?

brog
13-11-2011, 08:00 PM
That's interesting again. I was looking back over the AGM thread about who is responsible for the chief scout and the answer tae the question was
The current chief scout was employed by John Hughes

I find this wording interesting & possibly disingenuous. Employed by may not necessarily be the same as selected by or was John Hughes' choice. What had this guy been doing prior to joining Hibs that made him a sound choice for this appointment?

Dashing Bob S
13-11-2011, 08:14 PM
:top marks
34 posts and we are no further forward with knowing who he really is / what he really does/ who he is really related to/who he was appointed by / what color underpants he really wears , what his dog's name is etc , etc .
Is his name really Woodison ? :rolleyes:
A real "Mystery Man"

:greengrin:wink:

I'M David Woodison, and I'm solely responsible for the bad training, heavy drinking 'George Street' culture that has decimated our club, irrespective of management changes. Without bottles of champagne in the VIP section of Tiger Lily's THERE IS NO ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL IN SCOTLAND! Deal with it. KFC RULE! (That's Kentucky Fried Chicken, not Kilmarnock Football Club - I also advise players on their diets.)

Tiocfaidh Ar La
13-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Pretty sure he was employed by Hibs having worked at an investment bank in Edinburgh. Don't know what the criteria would be for being employed by Hibs in his current role but if info correct pretty nice career change for him.

IWasThere2016
13-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Probably too busy, although he might see if he can bump into him behind the goals on one of the three times he does manage to get all the way down to easter road, thats assuming he's not still giving the club a wide berth and depriving the club of that £60 odd quid?

What?!? It's more than £20 for a game at ER these days! That's it, I'll no be back!

TQM skuttles aff to blag some freebies .. At Dens and Tannadice obviously :wink:

IWasThere2016
13-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I'M David Woodison, and I'm solely responsible for the bad training, heavy drinking 'George Street' culture that has decimated our club, irrespective of management changes. Without bottles of champagne in the VIP section of Tiger Lily's THERE IS NO ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL IN SCOTLAND! Deal with it. KFC RULE! (That's Kentucky Fried Chicken, not Kilmarnock Football Club - I also advise players on their diets.)

:greengrin

truehibernian
13-11-2011, 11:37 PM
As I said earlier, people are putting far too much emphasis on this scouting thing.....yes, I am sure we employ scouts, but trust me, there are hundreds of scouts out there, and loads closer to a manager than chief scout.....paddy crerand was one for sir alex.....yet not 'appointed'......my advice would be to relax and not worry too much about scouts.

Kaff
14-11-2011, 12:01 AM
As I said earlier, people are putting far too much emphasis on this scouting thing.....yes, I am sure we employ scouts, but trust me, there are hundreds of scouts out there, and loads closer to a manager than chief scout.....paddy crerand was one for sir alex.....yet not 'appointed'......my advice would be to relax and not worry too much about scouts.

If his job title is '......co-ordinator' then i agree, and i'm sure IT skills would be appropriate.

basehibby
14-11-2011, 02:53 AM
It's Gordon Waddell

And the answer is: Control.....

Great article by Wadell - cut's to the quick to make some well argued conclusions as to the root of the current problems at Hibs, sometimes echoing comments from Johnny Collins a few weeks back before the Celtic cup game ...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hibernian/276221-john-collins-believes-hibernian-need-to-stick-by-colin-calderwood/

I couldn't agree more that the football manager is THE most important person at a football club - the board's single most important task is in selecting the right man for the job - after that it's about backing him up and doing everything they can to help him succeed, and I can't help thinking that there's been more than a few occasions over the years when our managers have been operating with one hand tied behind their backs because of the way things are done at Hibs.

Petrie has done great work in providing an ideal platform for football managers to prove themselves at Hibs largely due to his business management skills - he needs to recognise the overriding importance of the football manager's role and make that central to both the recruiting process and the way the club is run as a whole.

alexedwards
14-11-2011, 10:10 AM
It is the same guy. Told he's a smug, and not very knpwledgeable about the game. Was also told he was Yogi's appointment, and reports to RP. I have no idea if he's related to SL.

Very much this.
Considerable knowledge is required for a chief scout post and we can't pick a player any more - is this a coincidence? :wink:

Andy74
14-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Scouting co-ordinator sounds like an admin job to me. Are people getting a bit excited without knowing what this role even is?

Part/Time Supporter
14-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Great article by Wadell - cut's to the quick to make some well argued conclusions as to the root of the current problems at Hibs

He makes some interesting points, but I think you have to take it with the healthy pinch of salt that he is a pal of Yogi. His main argument seems to be that although Petrie has appointed good managers (? - including Yogi!), he hasn't allowed them enough control. I don't think I agree with that. He appointed a young manager in Mowbray and it paid off. He has tried to repeat that ever since and it hasn't worked.

Part/Time Supporter
14-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Scouting co-ordinator sounds like an admin job to me. Are people getting a bit excited without knowing what this role even is?

I'm sceptical that the role is of any great significance when it isn't even listed on the fishy site.

degenerated
14-11-2011, 10:38 AM
He makes some interesting points, but I think you have to take it with the healthy pinch of salt that he is a pal of Yogi. His main argument seems to be that although Petrie has appointed good managers (? - including Yogi!), he hasn't allowed them enough control. I don't think I agree with that. He appointed a young manager in Mowbray and it paid off. He has tried to repeat that ever since and it hasn't worked.

He also makes it sound like Petrie hounded Mcleish and Mowbray out the door whilst conveniently forgetting that most of Hughes tenure was absolutely dross. He also takes no cognisance of the fact that most, if not all, of the players sold actually wanted to play elsewhere anyway and that Hibs can't match the wages they could command elsewhere.

Basically the article is a lot of pish.

Don Giovanni
14-11-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm sceptical that the role is of any great significance when it isn't even listed on the fishy site. Jings! Makes you wonder - do we really need a "scouting administrator" of questionable significance at the club?

Iain G
14-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Surely not Hibs.net posters over-reacting to half stories, rumour, innuendo and Yogi's mates stirring things up shocker :greengrin

Sounds like he is the flunky who organises freelance scouting of players as selected by the manager and pays their expenses and gets their reports in and pops them into a nice green folder for the manager to read at while having his Friday afternoon cake at the training centre...

Perspective
14-11-2011, 11:51 AM
It's a hugely important role within a modern football club. It's the kind of position that isn't widely publicised by the club because these people are supposed to do their best work off-radar.

He's in charge of identifying players, checking on ones the management team have recommended and establishing/maintaining relationships with other clubs and agents.

Andy74
14-11-2011, 11:52 AM
It's a hugely important role within a modern football club. It's the kind of position that isn't widely publicised by the club because these people are supposed to do their best work off-radar.

He's in charge of identifying players, checking on ones the management team have recommended and establishing/maintaining relationships with other clubs and agents. By all accounts he has been an unmitigated disaster in these areas.

Is that his role though?

Beefster
14-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Surely not Hibs.net posters over-reacting to half stories, rumour, innuendo and Yogi's mates stirring things up shocker :greengrin

Sounds like he is the flunky who organises freelance scouting of players as selected by the manager and pays their expenses and gets their reports in and pops them into a nice green folder for the manager to read at while having his Friday afternoon cake at the training centre...

Sounds like a job for a teenage junior rather than an ex-professional footballer Business and Economics graduate.

Beefster
14-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Is that his role though?

If he's not effectively a Chief Scout and is actually just an admin bod then why is the team manager recruiting admin staff, as has been claimed? Does the manager recruit all the admin staff?

Golden Bear
14-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Is there a reason why this issue is being discussed at this particular time?

Makalambay
14-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Played 5s with him a few times. Seems like a decent guy. That is all.

Perspective
14-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Is that his role though?

That's how it was explained to me by someone at the club. If not, then I've done the guy a dis-service.

Andy74
14-11-2011, 01:47 PM
That's how it was explained to me by someone at the club. If not, then I've done the guy a dis-service.

If he is actually a chief scout and has actual responsibility for scouting and he is 26 with a largely IT background then I would share the concern.

Scouting is one of the things I had highlighted as a possible reason for 'the problem' we have at Hibs. We are paying decent wages and people sound okay in theory but rarely work out these days. we're not getting many of the gems we used to.

I just can't get my head round why we would appoint someone who may not be qualified and that CC as an experienedmanager was happy to keep him. Or was he?

Interesting.

bawheid
14-11-2011, 01:54 PM
If he is actually a chief scout and has actual responsibility for scouting and he is 26 with a largely IT background then I would share the concern.

Scouting is one of the things I had highlighted as a possible reason for 'the problem' we have at Hibs. We are paying decent wages and people sound okay in theory but rarely work out these days. we're not getting many of the gems we used to.

I just can't get my head round why we would appoint someone who may not be qualified and that CC as an experienedmanager was happy to keep him. Or was he?

Interesting.

It is interesting.

I agree with you Andy that scouting is a problem. When was the last time the club identified, scouted and signed an unknown player that has gone on to be a success?

John Park identified Zemmama, Benji, Sproule and others for Tony Mowbray. Since he left to join Celtic we haven't made any signings like that.

IWasThere2016
14-11-2011, 02:43 PM

He's in charge of identifying players, checking on ones the management team have recommended and establishing/maintaining relationships with other clubs and agents.

And reports to RP. His own words to a pal. So not SL - who is supposed to be working with the manager re players - is he not? :confused:

IWasThere2016
14-11-2011, 03:10 PM
It is interesting.

I agree with you Andy that scouting is a problem. When was the last time the club identified, scouted and signed an unknown player that has gone on to be a success?

John Park identified Zemmama, Benji, Sproule and others for Tony Mowbray. Since he left to join Celtic we haven't made any signings like that.

:agree: and :boo hoo:

Iain G
14-11-2011, 06:02 PM
It is interesting.

I was sure we had re-signed Ivan too... ;-)