PDA

View Full Version : Palsson heartbreak - not going to the U21 euros

Iceman
31-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Victor Palsson has been left out of the 23 man Iceland squad which will be going to the european championship finals in Denmark next month.

Baffling decision imo because although Palsson would not have been in the starting lineup he would have been a good option on the bench.

Andy74
31-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Victor Palsson has been left out of the 23 man Iceland squad which will be going to the european championship finals in Denmark next month.

Baffling decision imo because although Palsson would not have been in the starting lineup he would have been a good option on the bench.

Played himself out of it by only having a couple of good games for us since he arrived.

He's got the ability but he has produced nothing like the form he showed in first home game against St Mirren.

He looked like he could be a Sauzee type but since then his range of passing has disappeared and he's now just being rash in the tackle instrad of commanding.

Young lad though so hopefully he will learn what it takes to play to his level every week.

Ritchie
31-05-2011, 02:05 PM
looked a great addition at first but then was brought down to our level by the ***** around him!

Iceman
31-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Played himself out of it by only having a couple of good games for us since he arrived.

He's got the ability but he has produced nothing like the form he showed in first home game against St Mirren.

He looked like he could be a Sauzee type but since then his range of passing has disappeared and he's now just being rash in the tackle instrad of commanding.

Young lad though so hopefully he will learn what it takes to play to his level every week.

Hopefully this will be the kick in the arse he needs then.

hibeemikey21
31-05-2011, 02:07 PM
That is a strange one because although his performances have not exactly been great, he has gone from having no first team football experience and being in the squad, to having half a season under his belt and then being dropped.

In all fairness though, I imagine competition for places in the Iceland u-21 team must be fierce. They seem to have a plethora of talent at the moment. Any ideas how this Golden Generation has come about out of nowhere, "Iceman"?

Beligium and Iceland will emerge as international teams to be reckoned with over the next decade IMO

JimBHibees
31-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Personally think Palsson was carrying an injury near the end of the season as he didnt seem to be up with the pace in the last few games. May be one that requires him to rest thereby ruling him out of the u21 competition. I would imagine he will be gutted as that is a massive achievement for Iceland in qualifying and think they can do well in the competition also.

Iceman
31-05-2011, 02:12 PM
That is a strange one because although his performances have not exactly been great, he has gone from having no first team football experience and being in the squad, to having half a season under his belt and then being dropped.

In all fairness though, I imagine competition for places in the Iceland u-21 team must be fierce. They seem to have a plethora of talent at the moment. Any ideas how this Golden Generation has come about out of nowhere, "Iceman"?

Beligium and Iceland will emerge as international teams to be reckoned with over the next decade IMO

This article explains alot what is happening in Iceland:
http://www.uefa.com/under21/news/newsid=1588276.html

offshorehibby
31-05-2011, 02:18 PM
From a very promising start at ER he seems to have just taken it for granted. To be honest the later part of the season he was nothing special. Hopefully this is the wake up call he needs to kick on next season.
On the plus side he'll be available for the start of pre-season training.

Bayern Bru
31-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Kudos to him for his comments about Goodwin though - after the season was over he said he'd been a silly wee laddie regarding Goodwin, as he let his comments about 'getting him' affect his performances and he needed to grow up. I'm sure this was probably "suggested" to him by CC when he nearly decked him after the last St Mirren game but hopefully he'll grow up a bit and show more of his earlier form.

Still think Palsson will come good - once we've sorted out the midfield.

Andy74
31-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Kudos to him for his comments about Goodwin though - after the season was over he said he'd been a silly wee laddie regarding Goodwin, as he let his comments about 'getting him' affect his performances and he needed to grow up. I'm sure this was probably "suggested" to him by CC when he nearly decked him after the last St Mirren game but hopefully he'll grow up a bit and show more of his earlier form.

Still think Palsson will come good - once we've sorted out the midfield.

I though him, Scott and Thornhill was the sorting out of the midfield?

.Sean.
31-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Maybe it's because he's nowhere near as good as many on here would have you believe and the Iceland coach realises this?

JimBHibees
31-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Maybe it's because he's nowhere near as good as many on here would have you believe and the Finland coach realises this?

The Finland coach might think that but dont think he would be in a position to influence the selection of the Iceland squad. :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
31-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Maybe it's because he's nowhere near as good as many on here would have you believe and the Finland coach realises this?

What difference does it make to the Finland coach?

.Sean.
31-05-2011, 03:39 PM
What difference does it make to the Finland coach?<br />
<br />
Whoops.

Aye Iceland but same applies. Nowhere near as good as plenty on here and he himself thinks he is.

patlowe
31-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I was criticised for saying this after his first few games but, much as I like his swagger and energy, I don't think Palsson is ever going to be the player hibs fans seem to think he will be. I don't want to knock the guy, I just don't think he's a particularly technically gifted player and I don't think CC signed him as such. He is extremely quick, strong and athletic, meaning he has the potential to be a relative success in the SPL, but I'd be surprised if he did much more than that. Again, never like to really have a go at players, it's just a subjective viewpoint.

Bayern Bru
31-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I though him, Scott and Thornhill was the sorting out of the midfield?

Thornhill was short of match-fitness and then got injured. So yes, steps were made in the right direction, but I wouldn't say it's completely fixed.

Plus, if you believe some people on here, Thornhill's crap and Scott runs about like a headless chicken. :greengrin

JimBHibees
31-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I was criticised for saying this after his first few games but, much as I like his swagger and energy, I don't think Palsson is ever going to be the player hibs fans seem to think he will be. I don't want to knock the guy, I just don't think he's a particularly technically gifted player and I don't think CC signed him as such. He is extremely quick, strong and athletic, meaning he has the potential to be a relative success in the SPL, but I'd be surprised if he did much more than that. Again, never like to really have a go at players, it's just a subjective viewpoint.

Dont think he is that quick.

patlowe
31-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Dont think he is that quick.

He gets around the park well so if he's not quick, he has a good athletic stride.

Stine
31-05-2011, 04:47 PM

I think these are fair points and i understand the criticism of him. However i can't help but feel his career so far has led to many hibs fans expecting an instant impact from a 19 year old. He has obviously got plenty to learn and in terms of development there is plenty room. He is one of many young players in our team and until they are given a bit of time to prove themselves (success or not) i think we should give them time.

On a different note i am very pleased Welsh has been given a chance to prove himself as i think he has all the ability to play in that role that so far palsson has filled.

ronaldo7
31-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Although Victor will be gutted to miss out, it will give us a chance to get him match fit, and a good pre-season under his belt. CC was saying he would have to take it easy with him if he made the Iceland squad for the championships, and rest him for the start of the season.

Let's hope he learns from this and starts the season fit and ready.

Good luck Victor

Alfred E Newman
31-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Personally think Palsson was carrying an injury near the end of the season as he didnt seem to be up with the pace in the last few games. May be one that requires him to rest thereby ruling him out of the u21 competition. I would imagine he will be gutted as that is a massive achievement for Iceland in qualifying and think they can do well in the competition also.

If he couldn`t keep up with the pace in this lot he really has problems.

BEEJ
31-05-2011, 10:07 PM
:agree: Yes, that's what I find curious.

Hope this isn't interpreted as the SPL equating to "out of sight, out of mind" for international honours. That wouldn't do us any favours in our efforts to attract to ER young players with aspirations to represent their country.

Kaiser1962
31-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Hope this isn't interpreted as the SPL equating to "out of sight, out of mind" for international honours. That wouldn't do us any favours in our efforts to attract to ER young players with aspirations to represent their country.

Totally agree Beej.

We dont do ourselves any favours in this country and put our game down. Feel for the guy.

KWJ
31-05-2011, 11:08 PM
What strikes me is how good the Iceland U21s must be then. Knew they had a few good players but Victor is versatile so I'm surprised like.

sahib
01-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Get rid of him. I am fed up hearing about him.

ScapeGoat
01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
<br />
<br />
Whoops.

Aye Iceland but same applies. Nowhere near as good as plenty on here and he himself thinks he is.

Ah yes self-perception/awareness. Sometimes perhaps we should remember were all human and as you say same rules apply ?
Good enOugh old enough perhaps but since we are brinin through youth and have a young team let's cast our mind back or forward to the lads age:cgwa

Andy74
01-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Doesnt seem to have impacted Jonnson at Hearts? No excuses, you play well enough you get recognised. He hasn't been playing well.

bruno
01-06-2011, 12:03 PM

I don't think it out of sight out of mind. Eggert got picked from Hearts and he's had a poor season by his own standards.Perhaps there more to his injury. As some have commented he appeared to be carrying an injury at tail end of season.

He is also younger than some so maybe they have gone for a bit more experience.