PDA

View Full Version : Makalamby in Premiership

ZIBBY'SGLOVES
31-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Was the Swansea sustitute goalie yesterday, none other than Belgiums world famous basketball player Yves Makalamby. If so they had better wrap thier No1 in cotton wool for the season. Otherwise Its TA TA:taxi Swans.

Ed De Gramo
31-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Was the Swansea sustitute goalie yesterday, none other than Belgiums world famous basketball player Yves Makalamby. If so they had better wrap thier No1 in cotton wool for the season. Otherwise Its TA TA:taxi Swans.

:rolleyes:

Woody1985
31-05-2011, 11:21 AM
A regulator will be creaming himself.:greengrin

Hibbyradge
31-05-2011, 11:28 AM
8 pager.

aberhibsfc
31-05-2011, 11:31 AM

I take it it'll be the same for Dobbie too.

He was no success at ER, but he went elsewhere and developed. Who's to say Maka won't develop either.

I wasn't for chasing Maka out ER. The press had a field day hyping up the goalkeeping problems when S Brown was here, they moved onto the Pole with even more ferver, cheered on by Macaroon Maroon Moron Cameron. The pole had his problems but was castigated pretty much from the off. Hibs current incumbents haven't their problems to seek but none are as bad as Brown. Made worse by the fact that we were spoiled by Scotland Internationists in the sticks for us over a considerable time. The only way probably was down from there because we don't have the resources to pull that level of talent. Think Bell from Kilmarnock has the potential to achieve that though. The goalkeeping position has become somewhat of a poisened chalice as have the many Aberdeen managers who fell on their swords trying to be the next Alex Ferguson.

One thing I have noticed at ER in the past few seasons is that apathy has a real grip on some of our fans and I think they become so accustomed to it, they get some real satisfaction in trying to find faults and highlight them over and over. Some players ultimately live up to their billing, but it's never condusive to any success on the park. It's volatile virus which spills onto the pitch and players even as lofty as Riordan begin to resemble what's being jeered.

The SPL is a hell whole, we probably will do well to achieve top 6 in present times. I still don't want to indulge in the apathy but I guess I have to be realistic. I hope the board will invest in the team, probably less than I hope. But then again I want my team to be here in 30 - 40 years unlike Hearts. We have to appreciate that with our leagues current status and wealth. We will only attract middle men, some on the way up and some on the way down. All will have something missing from their game or they wouldn't be playing for us. Man Utd, what a team, but even they were found wanting against Barcelona. How many of them would play at the Nou Camp. Football is about fans and their loyalty, the rest is just fluff and controlled by money. Let's try to be a wee bit happier, a wee bit positive.

Done it again, rant over, away for a lie down, oh wait, cant at work. Damn!!

Jones28
31-05-2011, 11:35 AM
:rolleyes:

He's gone on to play in the premiership.

Dare I say it he'll be playing in a league that Scottish football will never compete with in our wildest dreams

Thecat23
31-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Good on him.. I for one hope he does well. Lad has had it tight it's beyond a joke.

J-C
31-05-2011, 11:39 AM
There was always a decent keeper in there, who's to say that by playing with better players in a better league with maybe even better coaches have probably helped his game no end. :wink:

--------
31-05-2011, 11:40 AM

He was no success at ER, but he went elsewhere and developed. Who's to say Maka won't develop either.

I wasn't for chasing Maka out ER. The press had a field day hyping up the goalkeeping problems when S Brown was here, they moved onto the Pole with even more ferver, cheered on by Macaroon Maroon Moron Cameron. The pole had his problems but was castigated pretty much from the off. Hibs current incumbents haven't their problems to seek but none are as bad as Brown. Made worse by the fact that we were spoiled by Scotland Internationists in the sticks for us over a considerable time. The only way probably was down from there because we don't have the resources to pull that level of talent. Think Bell from Kilmarnock has the potential to achieve that though. The goalkeeping position has become somewhat of a poisened chalice as have the many Aberdeen managers who fell on their swords trying to be the next Alex Ferguson.

One thing I have noticed at ER in the past few seasons is that apathy has a real grip on some of our fans and I think they become so accustomed to it, they get some real satisfaction in trying to find faults and highlight them over and over. Some players ultimately live up to their billing, but it's never condusive to any success on the park. It's volatile virus which spills onto the pitch and players even as lofty as Riordan begin to resemble what's being jeered.

The SPL is a hell whole, we probably will do well to achieve top 6 in present times. I still don't want to indulge in the apathy but I guess I have to be realistic. I hope the board will invest in the team, probably less than I hope. But then again I want my team to be here in 30 - 40 years unlike Hearts. We have to appreciate that with our leagues current status and wealth. We will only attract middle men, some on the way up and some on the way down. All will have something missing from their game or they wouldn't be playing for us. Man Utd, what a team, but even they were found wanting against Barcelona. How many of them would play at the Nou Camp. Football is about fans and their loyalty, the rest is just fluff and controlled by money. Let's try to be a wee bit happier, a wee bit positive.

I agree with pretty well all of this - especially the bit in bold.

Maybe instead of sticking the knife into our own players all the time we might do well to ask ourselves how come two players who were abused and hounded by the ER fans have done well enough in the English Championship (not a bad league by any means) to be looking forward to at least one season in the Premier League?

I watched the play-off final yesterday. Apart from Stephen Dobbie's excellent link-up play and goal, what struck me really forcibly was the way the Reading fans rallied behind the team after half-time. The team reacted well, and came within a deflection of equalising.

Now I ask myself, how would the Hibernian faithful have reacted to Hibs going 3-0 down in a match like this? Those left in the ground, that is?

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2011, 11:43 AM
He'll probably get released over the next few weeks along with some of the players that played a part in winning promotion.
Such is life!

vla_di_vla
31-05-2011, 11:50 AM
There was always a decent keeper in there, who's to say that by playing with better players in a better league with maybe even better coaches have probably helped his game no end. :wink:

And with better fans in a better less poisonous atmosphere :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2011, 11:54 AM
He'll probably get released over the next few weeks along with some of the players that played a part in winning promotion.
Such is life!

:agree: Wont get the chance to play in the premier league. They will buy or get in a decent keeper probably with premiership experience. Maka will sign for a lower league side, maybe a 1st division club. His next move is his most important, all the atributes a keeper needs, he needs to produce it soon or he will drift and drift down the leagues into obscurity imo.

Allant1981
31-05-2011, 11:56 AM
He cant get a game for them just now so there is no danger he will get a game for them in the EPL

heretoday
31-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Players often seem to blossom away from ER.

ScottB
31-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Another day, another pointless moan on Hibs.net.

So a guy who 'we' determined was mince has gone on to play in a successful side. Is this is a moment to stop and say well done to the big man, congratulate him on kick starting his career somewhere else? No, it's a reason to moan that 'we' still think he's mince.

And hey, if he does play in the Premiership and does well, I look forward to threads moaning about the Board releasing such a prospect before his time, further evidence of our Boards lack of 'footballing vision' or any of the rest of the regurgitated sh*** that dominates this place at the moment.

Craig_in_Prague
31-05-2011, 12:19 PM

:top marks

Danderhall Hibs
31-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Another day, another pointless moan on Hibs.net.

So a guy who 'we' determined was mince has gone on to play in a successful side.

If I may I’d like to correct you - he hasn’t gone on to play in a successful side.

How many league appearance did he make for Swansea this season?

Broken Gnome
31-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Great post. Sad that the bit in bold, despite being such a worthwhile and beneficial belief, seems like such an impossible ask for people at present.

SlickShoes
31-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I love these threads.

The championship is the league we have just signed Ivan back from and yet for many here that is not good enough.

And now people are pining over dobbie and maka. Dobbie seems to have got a bit better but maka has barely played there is no evidence he is any better than he was here. He has all the attributes to make a great keeper it really is just up to him.

Good luck to any of our ex players that didn't go to the OF.

Some players blossom at ER and some blossom elsewhere, that is just life.

ScottB
31-05-2011, 12:35 PM
If I may I’d like to correct you - he hasn’t gone on to play in a successful side.

Even if he hasn't kicked a ball, who cares? Is there a need for another thread putting the boot into the guy?

Big Frank
31-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Even if he hasn't kicked a ball, who cares? Is there a need for another thread putting the boot into the guy?

I thought he was great in the derby :thumbsup:

Caversham Green
31-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Just one point here. Maka was only on a one year contract at Swansea, so unless he gets offered a new contract he's now a free agent.

Who'd have him back at ER?

SneakersO'Toole
31-05-2011, 01:35 PM
We signed him from a Premiership club so don't really understand the point of the thread.

Andy74
31-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Players often seem to blossom away from ER.

He's hardly blossoming. He just happens to be getting taken along for the ride on this one. He's not been playing for them.

blossoming would be playing a couple of seasons abd being able to cut out the mistakes.

TornadoHibby
31-05-2011, 08:14 PM

It would only take ONE league appearance for him to "play in a successful side" I think! :hmmm: :dunno: :wink:

Dunbar Hibee
31-05-2011, 08:49 PM
He'll never cut out the mistakes and neither will any other keeper.It boils down to the overall nett worth of a goalie(mistakes included):agree:..eg De Vries was "unconvincing" at both Reading's goals yesterday as well as at a few crosses according to those around me...

:blah::blah::blah:

zlatan
31-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Maka :not worth

Andy74
31-05-2011, 09:10 PM
He'll never cut out the mistakes and neither will any other keeper.It boils down to the overall nett worth of a goalie(mistakes included):agree:..eg De Vries was "unconvincing" at both Reading's goals yesterday as well as at a few crosses according to those around me...
Aye but the good ones minimise them. Something Maka has proven he can't do.

PC Stamp
31-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Aye but the good ones minimise them. Something Maka has proven he can't do.

Maybe thus far .... but he's still only 24 or so, which is still relatively young in goalkeeping terms. He's still got a lot to learn but because he's 6'16" some people forget that I think. Can't think of many 24 year old keepers playing in the Premiership regularly? But he really needs to break out in the next couple of years. He suffered with us because people probably focussed on the Chelsea thing where he was about their 4th choice and maybe felt he should be the finished article despite never having played a first team game. That and the fact we'd previously had a couple of disasters in the shape of Malkowski & Brown. His biggest problem is his lack of concentration and if someone can help him fix that I reckon there will be decent keeper comes out of it. Time no doubt will tell.

Cropley10
31-05-2011, 10:40 PM

So if his contract is now up I presume the Big Guy is getting it renewed for next season, right?

Cropley10
31-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I think both goalies are out of contract now.

And Maka is getting a contract with the Swans, right?

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2011, 11:18 PM
A R.
How can you be arsed prolonging this love in?

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Maybe thus far .... but he's still only 24 or so, which is still relatively young in goalkeeping terms. He's still got a lot to learn but because he's 6'16" some people forget that I think. Can't think of many 24 year old keepers playing in the Premiership regularly? But he really needs to break out in the next couple of years. He suffered with us because people probably focussed on the Chelsea thing where he was about their 4th choice and maybe felt he should be the finished article despite never having played a first team game. That and the fact we'd previously had a couple of disasters in the shape of Malkowski & Brown. His biggest problem is his lack of concentration and if someone can help him fix that I reckon there will be decent keeper comes out of it. Time no doubt will tell.

I disagree, i cant think of anytime he cocked up thinking, ah he should be the finished article, he used to play for Chelsea?

I just thought its Maka, thats what he does.:confused:

I never once thought Colin Murdoch was good enough, yet he played for Man U. :wink:

3pm
01-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Anyone who goes to Tynecastle, squares up to perennial Champions League challengers Hearts in front of 400,000 flute playing pricks and keeps 3 clean sheets in 4 games is OK with me.

Good luck to Big Maka.

3pm
01-06-2011, 09:42 AM
:wink:Don't forget the inexcusable fumble from that weak header from a few yards out that led to a goal.I seem to remember the last ER derby before Yogi arrived as being a reasonable performance worthy of praise from our new manager in waiting:agree:
But then he would have a four game in row shut only to lose four goals to Rangers all of which were his fault :rolleyes::greengrin

To be he fair he was at fault for 2, possibly 3!!! Riordan, the other.

TornadoHibby
01-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I disagree, i cant think of anytime he cocked up thinking, ah he should be the finished article, he used to play for Chelsea?

I just thought its Maka, thats what he does.:confused:

I never once thought Colin Murdoch was good enough, yet he played for Man U. :wink:

Talk about selective quoting of information with implication to justify a point (very commmon on here :agree:) :confused: - let me correct you by giving the facts on this absolute dud Colin Murdock who was (at least) one of the worst defenders ever to play at Hibs in my 45 years of supporting the team. Colin Murdock joined Man Utd in 1991 on leaving school and left them in May 1997 when he was transferred to Preston! :agree:

He NEVER played for the first team but did play for the youth and reserve teams from time to time! :wink:

Alex Ferguson is probably still quicker than poor hapless Colin was! :greengrin

I can't believe that Maka is still getting stick on here when there where many more "players", who should be significantly higher up the list of candidates for regular competency and character assassinations on here when they have been away from the club and getting on with their respective careers, deserve it far more than Maka does IMO! :rolleyes:

TornadoHibby
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I just remember the Nacho near post thing ... The others were debatable only in that it wouldn't have been surprising if he had saved them. No one would have batted an eyelid if a standard goalie had let those in:agree:

I admire your obvious stamina in trying to maintain a case for Maka being far from the public park standard of keeper that anyone who has only learned of him by reading Maka threads on here must think! :not worth

However, I also can't understand why you waste your time doing it because all of the "usual suspects" are delighted to take you on "head on" every time you do! :rolleyes: :dunno:

marinello59
01-06-2011, 10:12 AM

I'd agree with most of your post. Regarding the concentration thing though, there was a bit more to it than that. He did seem to allow opposition fans to get to him sometimes. Again, that can be worked on. I hope he does go on to better things.

Dirkster23
01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I went to the final on Sunday.He was impressive in the warm up:greengrin...Just before the teams went in he was in warm up goals next to the actual goals.The players were doing their shooting practice.Rodgers was overseeing.Finally Rodgers kept Beattie back by himself for a final few shots,one of which was "unsaveable"...The basketball player got from the white marker line in the centre of the goals to his top left postage stamp..Rodgers kind of leant back in a kind of mock shock and clapped :greengrin Not that I was paying much attention you understand :greengrin Time will tell I suppose...

Unfortunately the next shot was a weak effort that he let squirm through his legs. A couple of minutes later he seemed to pick up an injury from nowhere and limped down the tunnel :greengrin

For me he needs to improve on his concentration and bravery before he'll make a good keeper, but good luck to the lad.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Unfortunately the next shot was a weak effort that he let squirm through his legs. A couple of minutes later he seemed to pick up an injury from nowhere and limped down the tunnel :greengrin

For me he needs to improve on his concentration and bravery before he'll make a good keeper, but good luck to the lad.

The Swansea fans said he did look good in the photo's though, all those hours he put in posing with the kids before games, during them and at half time was worthwhile in the end.:greengrin

TornadoHibby
01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
The Swansea fans said he did look good in the photo's though, all those hours he put in posing with the kids before games, during them and at half time was worthwhile in the end.:greengrin

That one's worth framing BH for reminding ourselves about it in the future I suspect! :wink: :greengrin

Baader
02-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Good luck to him but let's not kid ourselves. Whilst Dobbie has played a significant role in getting the Swans into the top flight, Maka's last match was for us!

Don't think we'll be seeing much, if any, of him in the Premier League...

TornadoHibby
02-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Good luck to him but let's not kid ourselves. Whilst Dobbie has played a significant role in getting the Swans into the top flight, Maka's last match was for us!

Don't think we'll be seeing much, if any, of him in the Premier League...

Not factual and a wee bit tiresome as it is what you wish had happened rather than what has actually happened! :rolleyes: :na na:

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Not factual and a wee bit tiresome as it is what you wish had happened rather than what has actually happened! :rolleyes: :na na:

Ive not checked, but, what first team football has he played since leaving us?

Baader
02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Ive not checked, but, what first team football has he played since leaving us?

Apologies, he has played four cup matches - 2 FA, 2 League Cup - for them since leaving.

I was talking about Swansea's Championship campaign and their promotion push. Fair enough though, he has played since leaving ER.

And TornadoHibby - I couldn't give a flying **** who plays for Swansea by the way!

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Apologies, he has played four cup matches - 2 FA, 2 League Cup - for them since leaving.

I was talking about Swansea's Championship campaign and their promotion push. Fair enough though, he has played since leaving ER.

And TornadoHibby - I couldn't give a flying **** who plays for Swansea by the way!

Cheers mate! I was just trying to establish his input into Swanseas promotion campaign!

TornadoHibby
02-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks for your erudite response to what was little more than a factual correction of your attempt to portray a player who left Hibs a year ago in a worse light than the facts actually justify! :rolleyes:

We now have what you wish you had said and which you didn't say in the original post for additional clarification of what you ACTUALLY meant to say which is quite different from what you did say! :agree:

Oh aye, and if you couldn't give the proverbial flying ****, why not just ignore the thread when you see the player's name rather than get uppity when someone corrects incorrect statements which you made for reasons known only to yourself? :wink: :na na:

Hibeesb0unc3
02-06-2011, 07:21 PM
good luck to him as i liked him even if he was prone to mistakes, but then again so is every keeper including those in the premier league. However i doubt he will get re signed as he didn't play a league game only cup games. But hopefully if he gets signed by swansea he will show the other EPL keepers how its done:greengrin

euro Hibby
02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Things so bad at Easter road we are back on an old story ! Good luck to the guy. Sooner or later he is going to get some game time somewhere so we can validate then if he-s maturing into a lev Yashin !

As said , not the worst goalie to play for Hibs and not the best but he-s got another 16 years to prove his point !

Baader
02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for your erudite response to what was little more than a factual correction of your attempt to portray a player who left Hibs a year ago in a worse light than the facts actually justify! :rolleyes:

We now have what you wish you had said and which you didn't say in the original post for additional clarification of what you ACTUALLY meant to say which is quite different from what you did say! :agree:

Oh aye, and if you couldn't give the proverbial flying ****, why not just ignore the thread when you see the player's name rather than get uppity when someone corrects incorrect statements which you made for reasons known only to yourself? :wink: :na na:

You like casting aspersions eh? Perhaps you should read the first four words of my initial post before attempting to incorrectly prejudge any 'motive' or give me advice about what I should or should not read on here.

Perfectly capable of making the latter choice myself thanks. :rolleyes:

lucky
03-06-2011, 07:05 AM
He made lots of silly mistakes at Hibs but there is a keeper in there. I glad he is away from hibs. If swansea have to rely on him next season then they are already relegated.

TornadoHibby
03-06-2011, 07:21 AM
You like casting aspersions eh? Perhaps you should read the first four words of my initial post before attempting to incorrectly prejudge any 'motive' or give me advice about what I should or should not read on here.

Perfectly capable of making the latter choice myself thanks. :rolleyes:

No I don't actually, but I do like to see fair play and frankly you weren't showing that former Hibs player, who you "don't give a flying **** about" yet post comments seeking to make him seem less of a guy than he is, a fair play attitude! :rolleyes:

You guys that actually DO give a "flying ***" about former Hibs players, otherwise why would you even open the thread let alone read through it and then post on it, should just let these people get on with their lives as I imagine most people do with you! :agree:

Having a sly public pop at someone for personal satisfaction (perhaps) who can't (or won't) reply for himself is pretty cheap and nasty in my book but if it blows your hair back I guess you're not gonna stop doing it! :confused: