PDA

View Full Version : Can Hibs Ever Fullfill Their Potential in Scotland?

Dashing Bob S
31-05-2011, 01:41 AM
I know the OF have been on about this for years, but it really brought it home to me watching Reading and Swansea battling it out in front of 86,500 at Wembley, just what a joke the Scottish set-up is, and how it holds us back, and probably the Yams and A'deen too.

I say we get out as soon as possible, preferably leaving the OF up here to play each other 38 times a season in a streamlined SPL.

The_Todd
31-05-2011, 07:22 AM
DBS as always your post is eloquent and bang on the money. The SPL and OF do hold us back, we should demand direct entry to the championship.

dangermouse
31-05-2011, 08:12 AM
A redistribution of wealth might help.

steakbake
31-05-2011, 08:16 AM
A fairer share of money and a football association which isn't a protection racket for the OF would help.

As for how we'd manage in England? I think we'd float between the Championship and Division 1 at the moment.

With investment over a period of time and being able to attract players to a more attractive league, I think most of the top SPL sides would be middle to top Championship sides with occasional forays into the EPL.

GloryGlory
31-05-2011, 08:30 AM
A fairer share of money and a football association which isn't a protection racket for the OF would help.

As for how we'd manage in England? I think we'd float between the Championship and Division 1 at the moment.

With investment over a period of time and being able to attract players to a more attractive league, I think most of the top SPL sides would be middle to top Championship sides with occasional forays into the EPL.

Yes, but the Yams would be winning the EPL and the Champions' League every season, of course, with a stadium packed to the rafters with their 400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 fans every game! :greengrin

linlithgowhibbie
31-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Yes, but the Yams would be winning the EPL and the Champions' League every season, of course, with a stadium packed to the rafters with their 400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 fans every game! :greengrin

I think you missed out the last three 000s, careless of you:thumbsup:

DH1875
31-05-2011, 11:15 AM

You think? I reckon we could be an EPL team easy. Your not telling me we're not a bigger team than the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Stoke, Blackburn, West Brom, Norwich and QPR. Honestly think what we could achieve with an income of £50 million + every season. If we were in the EPL and going for the same player, offering the same wages do you think that player would rather live in Stoke/Bolton or Edinburgh? We've already got the training ground etc... and ER would sell out 25,000 every week if we're playing the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland and the Manchester clubs. Also if we only played the oldfirm and the Yams once a season we'd come close to selling out the stadium (if we let them come with us :greengrin).

ScottB
31-05-2011, 11:21 AM
At this stage I could honestly see the benefits to a British League structure, as long as the national team remained separate.

Scottish football is dying. Hibs with the massive amounts of TV money down there could easily break into the Premiership.

BEEJ
31-05-2011, 11:55 AM
At this stage I could honestly see the benefits to a British League structure, as long as the national team remained separate.

Scottish football is dying. Hibs with the massive amounts of TV money down there could easily break into the Premiership.
There is nothing 'easy' about winning promotion from the Championship given the number of good teams that are in it.

ScottB
31-05-2011, 12:01 PM
There is nothing 'easy' about winning promotion from the Championship given the number of good teams that are in it.

True, but with the amount of cash even floating around in that league Hibs would be a better bet than most teams.

steakbake
31-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Well it goes without saying, if we had unlimited money and could attract the very best players, we'd be competitive with the EPL.

However, Cardiff have spent a fortune this year and missed out - it was a massive gamble and one, I think, which may drive that club to the edge.

I think realistically, with a moderate increase in money and increased gates, sponsorship etc and of course, increased operating costs, the best we could hope for is to hold our own in the Championship with a possibility of going up in an exceptional year.

easty
31-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Theres benefits for Scottish teams. Can't think of a reason why English teams would want change though.

steakbake
31-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Theres benefits for Scottish teams. Can't think of a reason why English teams would want change though.

This is the issue. Why, exactly, would the English teams vote to potentially make their league even more difficult than it already is?

It will never happen. It would require an enormous restructure. Even if it was offered to Rangers and Celtic (which it won't), I think the deal would be they start from the bottom and work up. Problem is, when it comes to English football, the bottom entry level is a long, long way down. Its not even at the Conference - that is some way up already.

ancient hibee
31-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Given the normal gates that Swansea and Reading have it's clear that the majority at Wembley were the glory hunters such as we get every few years.

Reading some of the posts does lack of live football make people delusional?

Lofarl
31-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Just wave a stack of tenners at Blatter and it may just happen.

NAE NOOKIE
31-05-2011, 03:33 PM
There is no doubt that the variety that playing in a British type league would bring would be good and yes the likes of us and the yams & Aberdeen would probably do OK and crowds would go up.

Its never going to happen and because of that the numpties who run Scottish football should be busting a gut to make it more exciting.

It could be done if it wasnt for the vested interest that is the OF scuppering any idea which would even look like it would cut the money they get or ( heaven forbid ) challenge their strangle hold on the game.

:no way:

cwilliamson85
31-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Hibs would sit mid table in Div 1 down south IMO.

The championship is one of the fastest played leagues in Europe and the players we have are not up to it.

Dashing Bob S
31-05-2011, 05:01 PM

You think? I reckon we could be an EPL team easy. Your not telling me we're not a bigger team than the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Stoke, Blackburn, West Brom, Norwich and QPR. Honestly think what we could achieve with an income of £50 million + every season. If we were in the EPL and going for the same player, offering the same wages do you think that player would rather live in Stoke/Bolton or Edinburgh? We've already got the training ground etc... and ER would sell out 25,000 every week if we're playing the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland and the Manchester clubs. Also if we only played the oldfirm and the Yams once a season we'd come close to selling out the stadium (if we let them come with us :greengrin).

I agree with this.

Dashing Bob S
31-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Hibs would sit mid table in Div 1 down south IMO.

The championship is one of the fastest played leagues in Europe and the players we have are not up to it.

I also agree with this. The current team are an embarrassment in the SPL, and would be the same at the low level they found themselves in England.

I'm talking about our potential as a city club. I think we're held back by the toytown, sectarian league we're in.

ancient hibee
31-05-2011, 07:12 PM
40 years too late I'm afraid.

Kaiser1962
31-05-2011, 07:33 PM
40 years too late I'm afraid.

Your maybe right.

I think we would do ok in England. There would be room for us to breathe and we would adapt better than most.

heretoday
31-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I think Hibs would find the game in England way too physical at the moment.

If we did go south it would be only fair for us to start off in the Blue Square Bet (North) league along with the Blyth Spartans and Workingtons of this world.

Sas_The_Hibby
31-05-2011, 08:28 PM

If we did go south it would be only fair for us to start off in the Blue Square Bet (North) league along with the Blyth Spartans and Workingtons of this world.

Actually, if this was the price to pay, I think it might be worth it - on the presumption that we would eventually work our way up to the Championship.

However, I agree with the previous posts that suggest there's nothing in it for English clubs, so it would never happen.

Sas_The_Hibby
31-05-2011, 08:31 PM

We might potentially be a bigger club than those you mention (though even that's not guaranteed). I can assure we are definitely not a 'bigger' team!

Keith_M
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
You think? I reckon we could be an EPL team easy. Your not telling me we're not a bigger team than the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Stoke, Blackburn, West Brom, Norwich and QPR.

I'm not sure if you're being serious here, or if it's just one of those oh so funny 'wind ups' that others indulge in.

Hibs are possibly bigger than QPR but definitely not any of the other teams you mentioned. I agree with the poster that said we'd probably float between the Championship and Div1. We may, once in a blue moon, make it to the EPL.

Would I swap that scenario for what he have currently? Missing out on once in every five seasons being dumped out of the Europa Cup at the first hurdle by a team we had previously never heard of? You betcha.

Would the English be interested? No way.

Franck is God
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Of course the one thing that everyone is forgetting is that all the promoted teams to the Prem have to do it without an income of £50m, that is the prize for getting there. There is definitely more money in the English leagues than in the SPL but the majority of a clubs money comes from the fans not TV.

Norwich for example were playing to full crowds when they were being relegated to League 1 and those fans continued to support them while they were building back up regardless of performance or results. Those fans are getting their reward now but they had to accept it for a good few years first.

The only way Hibs can ever prosper in Scotland is for the fans to show the same kind of loyalty week in week out. If we had 15-20k season ticket holders the football budget would reflect that. Unfortunately it reflects 8-9k season ticket holders because thats what we have.

marleyhib
01-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I'd settle for watching championship football at ER any day of the week.

I think without the ugly sisters then the EPL would have less of a problem with the idea but I can't ever see them wanting the sectarian crap they bring tarnishing the EPL or hordes of orcs travelling down South, especially given the scenes in Manchester a few years back.

What do we add to the English leagues? Longer away journeys for smaller clubs, realistically we have only 6 teams with a decent sized support.

It's not going to happen is it.

Dashing Bob S
01-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Hibs would find kindergarden way too physical at the moment.