PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Dobbie

Manxhibs
30-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Just watching the pre match coverage for the championship final and the pundits are seriously talking him up, calling him the key man to open the reading defence up. Ah well....

Hibstrooper
30-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Just watching the pre match coverage for the championship final and the pundits are seriously talking him up, calling him the key man to open the reading defence up. Ah well....

Needs to be in the next Scotland squad :agree:

Mac
30-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I remember years ago when we first got him from Rankers and he scored 4 against Dundee in a reserve match that the boy had bags of talent and couldnt believe some of the comments regarding him, a lot of folk on here took the pish even up until recently, yes he probably didnt work as hard as he could, i always said he was a pure talent and was up there with Riordan and GOC at the time.

iwasthere1972
30-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Compared to when he was at Hibs (when he needed more space to turn than a Boeing 747) he's looked the business in the championship. Don't know if he has what it takes to make an impression in the EPL if Swansea get promoted. Even if they do get promoted there would be no guarantee that he would have a starting place in the team. That would be the same for some of their other players.

Good luck to him anyway. :aok:

hibsboy90
30-05-2011, 02:10 PM
The huns refer to Charlie Adam as the one who got away, who was lazy, fat and hounded out their club.

Is Dobbie ours?

FRes Hibbie
30-05-2011, 02:29 PM
The huns refer to Charlie Adam as the one who got away, who was lazy, fat and hounded out their club.

Is Dobbie ours?

Yes, but like Adam at the Huns, if Dobbie had stayed with us he probably wouldn't improved to the level he is now.

iwasthere1972
30-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Is Dobbie ours?

He was an all-round player if I remember correctly. A wee bit too much round.

hibeemikey21
30-05-2011, 02:41 PM
DOBBIE!! 3-0!

Makalamby back in the prem next year as well at this rate

:faint:

MWHIBBIES
30-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Is he hibs class now?

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2011, 02:42 PM
DOBBIE!! 3-0!

Makalamby back in the prem next year as well at this rate

:faint:

Good finish!

JoeTortolanoFanClub
30-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Stick Dobbie up front for Scotland instead of Kenny Misser.

wazoo1875
30-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Excellent, instinctive finish from the Dobmeister :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Is he hibs class now?

Players careers do sometimes improve when they move to another club you know.

Iggy Pope
30-05-2011, 02:50 PM

Is Dobbie ours?

He was at the Huns before us mind....

What a run for 2-0 and finish for 3-0. Looks like he's well thought of and I am pleased for him.

--------
30-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Compared to when he was at Hibs (when he needed more space to turn than a Boeing 747) he's looked the business in the championship. Don't know if he has what it takes to make an impression in the EPL if Swansea get promoted. Even if they do get promoted there would be no guarantee that he would have a starting place in the team. That would be the same for some of their other players.

I'd say Swansea are all but promoted right now.

After he left us he seemed to take a tumble to himself, shed a lot of weight, and really got stuck into his game.

Delighted for him in every possible way,

Right now a better striking bet than K Miller? :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
30-05-2011, 02:54 PM
He was at the Huns before us mind....

What a run for 2-0 and finish for 3-0. Looks like he's well thought of and I am pleased for him.

Agreed.

Levein...get it sorted! :grr:

richard_pitts
30-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I remember years ago when we first got him from Rankers and he scored 4 against Dundee in a reserve match that the boy had bags of talent and couldnt believe some of the comments regarding him, a lot of folk on here took the pish even up until recently, yes he probably didnt work as hard as he could, i always said he was a pure talent and was up there with Riordan and GOC at the time.

Me too. Funny really - GOC and Riordan have always been lauded on here but Fletcher, Whittaker and Dobbie who were all pilloried on here by many have been the most successful of the "Golden generation". Oh, and Alen Orman wound up in the Champions League :wink:

Do we as football fans sometimes know less than we think we do? I think so, and I include me in that :agree:

nonshinyfinish
30-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Do we as football fans sometimes know less than we think we do?

Yes.

Replace 'sometimes' with 'almost always'.

--------
30-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Me too. Funny really - GOC and Riordan have always been lauded on here but Fletcher, Whittaker and Dobbie who were all pilloried on here by many have been the most successful of the "Golden generation". Oh, and Alen Orman wound up in the Champions League :wink:

Do we as football fans sometimes know less than we think we do? I think so, and I include me in that :agree:

I think you're absolutely right, Richard.

As the man who directed "Casablanca" might have said, we think we know (blank) everything; in fact we know (blank) all...."

AllyF
30-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Guess I'll be supporting Swansea in the Premier League next season, then.

GreenCastle
30-05-2011, 03:03 PM
A natural finisher :agree:

Here is his goal for Hibs v Rangers in the CIS Semi :greengrin

http://youtu.be/nh_XtzN1hXI

Beefster
30-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Absolutely. One thing I would say is that Riordan and O'Connor could have had much, much better careers if they had made the right choices and been dedicated to becoming the best that they could. It obviously took Dobbie a while to realise that he could better himself while Whittaker and Fletcher have probably done as well as expected.

Kaiser1962
30-05-2011, 03:14 PM

After he left us he seemed to take a tumble to himself, shed a lot of weight, and really got stuck into his game.

Delighted for him in every possible way,

Right now a better striking bet than K Miller? :greengrin

Always was a great striker of the ball and Blobby rated him really highly. I think he thought he'd made it long before he had and forgot to work at it. Good luck to him though. Nice guy.

Kaiser1962
30-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Absolutely. One thing I would say is that Riordan and O'Connor could have had much, much better careers if they had made the right choices and been dedicated to becoming the best that they could. It obviously took Dobbie a while to realise that he could better himself while Whittaker and Fletcher have probably done as well as expected.

It's all about making the right decision at the right time Beefster. With hindsight we could say Brown, O'Connor and Riordan all could have chose better. Whittaker now needs a move south to progress before it's too late as does Brown. With this upsurge in Scottish players doing well maybe our footballs not as bad as we think, or the English are not as good as they think. Probably between the two.

To a previous poster you cant compare the departure's of Whttaker and Fletcher to that of Dobbie's. Whittaker and Fletcher where multi million pound deals.

Dobbie started at Rangers then Hibs then St.Johnstone and then Queen of the South. See the pattern. Interestingly the only club that didnt "farm" him out was Queen of the South. Rangers, Hibs, St.Johnstone and Swansea all did.Was hardly prolific when he was at Hibs although he could hit a football. Didn't score enough for me. He has re-applied himself at Swansea and good luck to him.

MSK
30-05-2011, 03:30 PM
I remember years ago when we first got him from Rankers and he scored 4 against Dundee in a reserve match that the boy had bags of talent and couldnt believe some of the comments regarding him, a lot of folk on here took the pish even up until recently, yes he probably didnt work as hard as he could, i always said he was a pure talent and was up there with Riordan and GOC at the time.He admitted he was overweight & not as committed as he should have been when at hibs...it took a reality bite when at lowly Dumbarton as he saw the effort & dedication put in by part time players & thats when he decided to screw the nut. That paid off when at QOS where he went a step further & had a cracking scoring record..pity he didnt have the same attitude when at hibs though..I certainly liked the lad ...good luck to him ..:agree:

iwasthere1972
30-05-2011, 03:36 PM

It's not over till Michelle McManus has sung. :wink:

edit: She's now singing.

nonshinyfinish
30-05-2011, 03:37 PM
He admitted he was overweight & not as committed as he should have been when at hibs...it took a reality bite when at lowly Dumbarton as he saw the effort & dedication put in by part time players & thats when he decided to screw the nut. That paid off & he got his move to QOS where he went a step further & had a cracking scoring record..pity he didnt have the same attitude when at hibs though..I certainly liked the lad ...good luck to him ..:agree:

:agree:

I can't think of another goal that's given me as much pleasure as his at Hampden on that cold February night. :not worth

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Is Dobbie ours?

No.
This boy is not the same player that left us. If he was one that slipped through the net, then the net must have had massive holes.

MSK
30-05-2011, 03:39 PM
:agree:

I can't think of another goal that's given me as much pleasure as his at Hampden on that cold February night. :not worthCracking finish ...:agree:

.Sean.
30-05-2011, 04:47 PM
A natural finisher :agree:

Here is his goal for Hibs v Rangers in the CIS Semi :greengrin

http://youtu.be/nh_XtzN1hXI
I mind thirteen year old me going radger than radge when that went in :greengrin

Favourite game i've attended.

The Harp
30-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Delighted for Stephen Dobbie. Just wonder what sort of odds would've been offered on him making it to the English Premiership when he was plying his trade in the Scottish 3rd division not that long ago.
His story must be an inspiration to other players who are down on their luck right now.

HibsMax
30-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Players careers do sometimes improve when they move to another club you know.

Unless we're talking about a player who is on his way TO Hibs. :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
30-05-2011, 06:01 PM
And had potter even turned his head?

HibbyAndy
30-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I find it cringeworthy and pathetic how commentaters refer to him as Scott Dobbie.

stanton_4
30-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Agreed... wouldn't be surprised if Holloway picks him up again.

archiebald
30-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Chased out Easter Road-by the fans:agree:

Bishop Hibee
30-05-2011, 07:58 PM
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Stephen-Dobbie-Wales-got-talent.6776166.jp

Good article in SoS. Hibs made the right decision to get rid of him as he looked a 1st division player at that time as he more or less admits. Any fault is his own for not fulfilling his potential until so late in his career.

Good luck to him in the EPL.

Beefster
30-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Rubbish.

MSK
30-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Chased out Easter Road-by the fans:agree:Bollox ..

nonshinyfinish
30-05-2011, 08:26 PM

Say what?

Ed De Gramo
30-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Wouldn't say that....he was just up against Deek & GOC for the up front role

TornadoHibby
31-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Fletcher was always the one with most ability and potential amongst all of "that" group of players IMO and if he can get that right foot to be as effective as his left can be then he'll be a top EPL player with one of the top EPL clubs IMO! :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
31-05-2011, 08:41 AM
He was heavy/overweight at hibs, natural finisher....He has obviously worked so hard on his fitness, and looks an all round player, some of his play yesterday and burst of pace was superb.....Well done to him as I never thought he would be where he is today after going to QOS.....Just shows you what dedication, hunger and desire can do for you.....