PDA

View Full Version : Best League In The World?

Hibs Giant
28-05-2011, 08:30 PM
With respect to man u. Can we honestly still listen to people call the EPL the best league in the world? Might not be the best man u team ever, but they are the champions and barca look at least 2 divisions above them.

No?

Sodje_18
28-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I'd say budnesliga is the best, not for ability but entertainment.

Lofarl
28-05-2011, 08:43 PM
The epl is only trumpeted as the best league in the world by the English. Im sure I'm not the only one who is giddy with excitement watching Bolton v Wigan or West Brom v Blackburn.

The best league for quality of football and atmosphere is the Bundesliga then la-liga. Hell the spl has produced it's fair share of cracking games.

CallumLaidlaw
28-05-2011, 08:45 PM
There is 6 or 7 decent teams in the premiership. Below them, the fare is pretty poor. If it was a choice of Blackburn v Birmingham or Hamilton v St.Mirren, because of the interest in the SPL. Nothing would draw me to the English game

LancashireHibby
28-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd still say there's a greater strength in depth in the top 6/7 Prem teams than the other top leagues or at least more competitive.

Ray_
28-05-2011, 09:01 PM
With respect to man u. Can we honestly still listen to people call the EPL the best league in the world? Might not be the best man u team ever, but they are the champions and barca look at least 2 divisions above them.

No?

Barcelona are head and shoulders above every team in every league, but one team doesn't make a league.

R'Albin
28-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Imo the bundesliga is, it should be shown more on sky.

Franck is God
29-05-2011, 12:01 PM
La Liga has two amazing teams that are head and shoulders above every other side and there are very few shock results. It is more like the SPL that the Prem as far as competition goes.

Its true that there are a lot of poor games in the Prem as there are in every league but the one thing that it has that few other leagues do are surprises. Wolves only just escaped relegation yet they beat Liverpool and Man Utd last season, West Ham were the worst team in the division yet put 4 past United in a cup match, West Brom beat Arsenal at the Emirates and these are just a few examples.

Getting to the last day of the season and having five teams still involved in a relegation battle and the bottom three changing fourteen times in 90 minutes and the eventual relegated sides decided in the last 5 makes it the best league in the world, just my opinion though.

Hibbyradge
29-05-2011, 12:08 PM

No?

It's undoubtedly the best league in the world.

Your jealousy of England is skewing your objectivity.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Its the most competative league in the world, never in a million years is it the best football though.

When you hear that said its always an englishman saying it.

JE89
29-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Its the best league in the world. Barca are the best team but the English league is much more competitive than Spanish which is shown by the fact Barcelona and Real both finished with over 90 points, Valencia in third had 77 if i remember correctly

Sylar
29-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Define "best" in this case?

In terms of competitiveness, definitely not, as the same 3 or 4 teams have a realistic shot of winning it each year, with the quality outside the top 4 or 5 being poor. You'd fancy an equivalent German/Italian/Spanish mid-table side to rip and English one to pieces.

By the same token, it can't really be La Liga either, as like the SPL, it's a 2 horse race every year. Barcelona are undoubtedly the best team on the planet, but their quality cannot dictate the superiority of their league. Outwith the top 2 in Spain, anyone really can beat anyone else on their day.

The Bundesliga is probably a good shout in terms of competitive football, where several teams are capable of winning the league - since 2000, 5 teams have won the Bundesliga (granted, Bayern have won 6 of them), whereas only 3 teams have won the Premiership in the same time, with 3 teams winning La Liga.

The majority of the World's best players are based in Spain, but again, that doesn't dictate the league quality.

Hibeesb0unc3
29-05-2011, 02:03 PM
i would say the premier league was the most exciting league in the world in that the teams in the bottom half can beat the teams at the top more often than in many other leagues. But i would still say la liga is better in terms of quality.

lucky
29-05-2011, 02:10 PM
For me the EPL is by far the best league in the world. 6 top teams with other big clubs like everton, villa always capable of good results at home. The Spanish league is two team only. The German league may be competive but not against the top European teams.

Hibbyradge
29-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Its the most competative league in the world, never in a million years is it the best football though.

When you hear that said its always an englishman saying it.

I'm not English and neither are the others on here who have said it's the best league too.

Jones28
29-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Imo the bundesliga is, it should be shown more on sky.

Or it should stay on ESPN so some people other than Sky customers can actually watch decent quality football

Barney McGrew
29-05-2011, 02:19 PM
La Liga was just as competitive as the EPL this season, positions nine to eighteen were separated by only four points, and the three teams that qualified for the Europa Cup all finished on the same number of points - where they ended up on league positions (and therefore what round they enter the Europa Cup at next year) was decided on head to head records.

There's a tendency to assume it's not as competitive because people don't have it in their faces on a day to day basis like they do with the league down south.

HibeeBigFly
29-05-2011, 03:10 PM
:top marks
La Liga was just as competitive as the EPL this season, positions nine to eighteen were separated by only four points, and the three teams that qualified for the Europa Cup all finished on the same number of points - where they ended up on league positions (and therefore what round they enter the Europa Cup at next year) was decided on head to head records.

There's a tendency to assume it's not as competitive because people don't have it in their faces on a day to day basis like they do with the league down south.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm not English and neither are the others on here who have said it's the best league too.

You dinnae count, ye married one. :wink:

(((Fergus)))
29-05-2011, 03:45 PM
EPL is best for thrills and spills/upsets.

La Liga is best for technical quality.

Two different types of entertainment.

steakbake
29-05-2011, 03:48 PM
In the British Isles, I'd say the English Championship takes some beating in terms of competitiveness and entertainment.

R'Albin
29-05-2011, 04:20 PM
In the British Isles, I'd say the English Championship takes some beating in terms of competitiveness and entertainment.

:agree:

Sodje_18
29-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I can't believe some people are seriously claiming the EPL is the most competitive league :confused: Budnesliga and Ligue 1 are much more competitive.

Love the Green
29-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Its the best league in the world. Barca are the best team but the English league is much more competitive than Spanish which is shown by the fact Barcelona and Real both finished with over 90 points, Valencia in third had 77 if i remember correctly

and how many different teqams have won rhe EPL in the last 10 years, like many leagues bin europe only 2/3 teams can win it is that competitive?

"keeep the faith"

heretoday
29-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Barcelona are head and shoulders above every team in every league, but one team doesn't make a league.

Hear Hear! Watching both the Liga and the Prem over a season I'd say the Prem had more excitement. You felt that teams like Stoke or Everton always had a good chance of beating the big five.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Glad you noticed my side-stepping of the question :wink:

I'd definitely back a mid-table EPL side against a mid-table La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga side any day of the week.

essexhibee
29-05-2011, 08:18 PM
:agree::agree:

I would agree with this.

Ryan69
29-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Bundesliga is best!
The open games they produce,but also the criteria.
From what im lead to believe they went back to the drawing board and made good changes!
Now Its at least a quarter maybe even a third of fans are female! Tickets are also more affordable than most places.

If you have full stadiums every week...It produces the best in players on that day also!

CallumHibs07
29-05-2011, 09:44 PM
The Premier League is easily the best league in the world, on quality and entertainment. Watching Barcelona beat everyone 6-0 every week does not make it the best league in the world, and only them and Real Madrid have a chance of winning the league, while there's about 5 or 6 now fighting for it in England. People say that Wigan v Blackburn is boring etc, what about games like Getafe v Hercules, is that any better? No, it's worse, and probably have lower attendances aswell. EPL better in every department without question :agree:

Stew the Hibee
29-05-2011, 10:41 PM
The Premier League is easily the best league in the world, on quality and entertainment. Watching Barcelona beat everyone 6-0 every week does not make it the best league in the world, and only them and Real Madrid have a chance of winning the league, while there's about 5 or 6 now fighting for it in England. People say that Wigan v Blackburn is boring etc, what about games like Getafe v Hercules, is that any better? No, it's worse, and probably have lower attendances aswell. EPL better in every department without question :agree:

The only time I found the EPL interesting was on the last day of the season with the fight to survive effectively going on until the last kick off the ball. Realistically though, when considering the EPL you look at 4 (possibly now 5) teams with the chance of winning it - Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and now Man City.

With regards to the Bundesliga, the title (whilst it has been dominated by Bayern) often looks as if it can be won by a few sides right up until the end. Eintracht Frankfurt came 10th in 2010, yet this year were relegated. Hertha Berlin came third in 2009, only to suffer the same fate in 2010. It is just so unpredictable (again, Werder Bremen secured champions league football in 2010, only to be involved in a relegation battle this year) and that is what makes entertainment in my eyes. For quality, you need look no further than Spain, and entertainment goes to the Germans by a country mile!

HibeeMG
29-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Define "best" in this case?

In terms of competitiveness, definitely not, as the same 3 or 4 teams have a realistic shot of winning it each year, with the quality outside the top 4 or 5 being poor. You'd fancy an equivalent German/Italian/Spanish mid-table side to rip and English one to pieces.

By the same token, it can't really be La Liga either, as like the SPL, it's a 2 horse race every year. Barcelona are undoubtedly the best team on the planet, but their quality cannot dictate the superiority of their league. Outwith the top 2 in Spain, anyone really can beat anyone else on their day.

The Bundesliga is probably a good shout in terms of competitive football, where several teams are capable of winning the league - since 2000, 5 teams have won the Bundesliga (granted, Bayern have won 6 of them), whereas only 3 teams have won the Premiership in the same time, with 3 teams winning La Liga.

The majority of the World's best players are based in Spain, but again, that doesn't dictate the league quality.

I'd disagree with the part in bold.

Fulham didn't exactly disgrace themselves against Athletico Madrid in last years Europa League final. The same Madrid side who hardly won a game in the competition without requiring penalties.

Bolton put out Athletico a couple of years previously.

I'm sure there are other examples.

Take a look at Shalke from the Bundesliga. They were pisspoor agains Man U. I'd imagine a Sunderland, Aston Villa, Fulham etc would have given them a good game.

KiddA
30-05-2011, 01:41 AM
I would say the EPL is the best to watch :agree: and the spanish league is probably the best technically and the Italian league is probably tactically the best but it is god awful to watch even the fans look bored in Italy.

twiceinathens
30-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Define "best". It is the richest in terms of TV money and sponsorship. In terms of the "English" premier League the owners of many clubs are foreign, the managers are not English and a high proportion of the players come from abroad. I would say that it is the richest footballing franchise in the world.

hibs0666
30-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Define "best". It is the richest in terms of TV money and sponsorship. In terms of the "English" premier League the owners of many clubs are foreign, the managers are not English and a high proportion of the players come from abroad. I would say that it is the richest footballing franchise in the world.

Not sure about the richest franchise in the world. The NFL cartel, for example, effectively stitches up the US market (250 million or so people) between a very small number of clubs with no fear of relegation.

For me the Premiership is a pretty ugly beast of a thing. With an annual average wage bill of around £65 million a club it should be able to boast an incredibly high level of quality.

There's no doubt that the Premiership is exciting in a car-crash sort of way but that's hardly enough to make it the best football league.

LancashireHibby
30-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Bolton put out Athletico a couple of years previously.

And drew 2-2 away to Bayern despite literally putting out a reserve side!

patlowe
30-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Rant warning.

I honestly believe that the whole "best league in the world" nonsense is just Sky propaganda. To be fair, this season has been an unusually exciting one in England but I would say that it's been more of an exception than a rule.

If you're judging it on most teams having something to play for in every area of the league at the end of the season then I'd say that there's been more competitive seasons in Scotland in recent years, where 2 out of 12 teams dominating isn't such a bad ratio all things considered. Does that make it the best league in the world? Of course not.

If you're judging it on the quality of football then the English league is significantly behind a number of other top divisions. The top 4/5 are decent, I'll give you that, but both Man Utd and Spurs were handed a lesson by the top spanish clubs this season (Arsenal too to a certain extent). Fair enough, Man City have made it a bit more interesting up top but how exciting is a team that buys their way to success? It rips the heart out of football if you ask me. Beyond these teams, there is very little quality, despite millions of pounds of supporters' hard earned cash being swallowed up by over-paid mercenaries and agents. Surely "the best league in the world" should be a breeding ground for young domestic talent, not just a playground for millionaire egos.

Most of the teams that make up the middle half (and subsequently play meaningless games for much of the second half of the season) are never going to make it into the champions league and don't want in the Europa League anyway! What's the point! The rest just scrap away to hold on to the Sky cash which keeps afloat their ludicrous loss-making "business plan".

Why is the media coverage so obsessed with "the best league in the world" anyway? I doubt the Spanish, German, Italian or French whip themselves into a frenzy over such matters. It's all just a big Rupert Murdoch-endorsed illusion designed to cover up the gaping hole where the game's soul should be as far as I'm concerned.

.Whitey.
30-05-2011, 02:55 PM
A bit off topic - I rekon the best league in the world is the NFL - Every team has a decent chance of winning - there is next to none violence at the games(to my knowlage) - Fans aren't segregated - plus there is alcohol on sale :greengrin - A team could win one year and finish bottom the following. Its very competitive and exciting

I wish the SPL was like this

Love the Green
30-05-2011, 06:39 PM
A bit off topic - I rekon the best league in the world is the NFL - Every team has a decent chance of winning - there is next to none violence at the games(to my knowlage) - Fans aren't segregated - plus there is alcohol on sale :greengrin - A team could win one year and finish bottom the following. Its very competitive and exciting

I wish the SPL was like this

:top marks
"keep the faith"

nonshinyfinish
30-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Depends what you mean by best...

- Best team (or 2): La Liga, no doubt.
- Strongest top 6ish teams: EPL.
- Best overall technical abilty: La Liga.
- Most competitive: Bundesliga.
- Best entertainment: depends what you like...EPL for blood'n'thunder, La Liga for teams being slowly and gracefully passed to death, Bundesliga for madcap end-to-end action.

For my money, the Bundesliga has the best combination of technical skill, attacking play and unpredictability, but that's just my view, and I'm biased since I love almost everything about Germany.

Football is subjective, different fans appreciate different things - the idea of a definitive 'best league' is a bit silly, IMO. But obviously I'm right, it's the Bundesliga...