Anyone seen better?

Betty Boop
28-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Quite simply the best football team I have seen EVER:flag:

Anyone seen better?

Naw ! :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-05-2011, 08:25 PM
The AC Milan team of the late 80's with Van Bastem/Guillt etc was a great team but I think this one beats it.

scoopyboy
28-05-2011, 08:28 PM
The AC Milan team of the late 80's with Van Bastem/Guillt etc was a great team but I think this one beats it.

Barca play better football than AC did.

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Barca play better football than AC did.

I agree but it's the only other team I could think of who came close. :-)

scoopyboy
28-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I agree but it's the only other team I could think of who came close. :-)

Real Madrid won the first five European Cups so they might have been but I couldn't argue one way or tother.

LancashireHibby
28-05-2011, 08:38 PM
For those of a certain age, how does this Barca team compare with Brazil 1970?

CallumLaidlaw
28-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Well my dad said about 5 minutes ago that this is the best club team but that brazil team was THE best team ever

Hiber-nation
28-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Tough one but they are better all round - Brazil 1970 were dodgy at the back.

Xavi is the best all round technical player I've ever seen. And Messi is as good as Pele or Maradona, if not better.

hibsfan7
28-05-2011, 09:11 PM
:not worthyes i think this is the best club team that i have seen

the best team ever just has to be the brazil team of 1970

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Real Madrid won the first five European Cups so they might have been but I couldn't argue one way or tother.

Fair enough. Can't comment on that or the Brazilian 1970 team as before my time. Though didn't Hibs beat Real Madrid? :-)

Jonnyboy
28-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Fair enough. Can't comment on that or the Brazilian 1970 team as before my time. Though didn't Hibs beat Real Madrid? :-)

2-0 at ER - Peter Cormack and an own goal. Murdered 'em we did :greengrin

I recall the 1970 Brazil team and they were superb going forward, working on the basis that if they conceded 3 they'd score 4 but this present Barca team are by far the best I have ever seen :agree:

alexedwards
29-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Quite simply the best football team I have seen EVER:flag:

Anyone seen better?

Barca well ahead of Brazil '70 - it's just the old romantics of football want to have something to point to. The sheer volume of matches against top teams to win Champions League, League, runner-up Spanish Cup in comparison to 6 matches to win World cup (v Romania, Czechoslovakia, England, Peru, Uruguay and Italy) just doesn't stack up. Well done Brazil but you'd probably find that Santos who were number one club in the world at that time were better than their national side.
Messi better than Pele also.

whiskyhibby
29-05-2011, 01:10 PM
:not worthyes i think this is the best club team that i have seen

the best team ever just has to be the brazil team of 1970

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

I would agree, Brazil 1970 would have beaten barca 2011, but what a game it would be...............................:not worth:not worth:not worth

bobbyhibs1983
29-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Tough one but they are better all round - Brazil 1970 were dodgy at the back.

Can't comment on brazil 1970 but how good are baca at the back?honest question as i tihnk when people talk bout baca its how good there are in mid and in there forward line that seem to be top of the tops.I noticed that former liverpool player(marcecalano(sp))was playing for baca and in defence and i thught he was a midfielder.
late on last night vs man utd, nani got down the wing and baca didn#t look too good, though it was like the alst 2 mins.
The reason i ask is how many times have baca been tested at the back?

Though they are an amazing team i feel there workrate from the baca team is no doubt world class:agree:

Hibbyradge
29-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Can't comment on brazil 1970 but how good are baca at the back?honest question as i tihnk when people talk bout baca its how good there are in mid and in there forward line that seem to be top of the tops.I noticed that former liverpool player(marcecalano(sp))was playing for baca and in defence and i thught he was a midfielder.
late on last night vs man utd, nani got down the wing and baca didn#t look too good, though it was like the alst 2 mins.
The reason i ask is how many times have baca been tested at the back?

Though they are an amazing team i feel there workrate from the baca team is no doubt world class:agree:

What game were you watching? :confused:

3pm
29-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Dundee 1986.

3pm
29-05-2011, 01:49 PM

He must have been watching pon instead.

HibbyAndy
29-05-2011, 01:50 PM

He was watching Starwars , With Chew baca :greengrin

soupy
29-05-2011, 01:51 PM
I was actually just wondering, who if any of the barca players would walk into the hibs side, and couldn't think of one. :)

Hibbyradge
29-05-2011, 02:16 PM
He was watching Starwars , With Chew baca :greengrin

:hilarious :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
29-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Very good!!

:thumbsup:

Jones28
29-05-2011, 02:29 PM

:tee hee:

Geo_1875
29-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Club v Country comparisons are not really valid. National sides can't decide they want another countries players and buy them (apart from the French). They can only be compared to other countries. In that respect, Brazil c1970 were miles ahead of anybody. Barcelona are by miles the best team that money can buy. And yes I know that a lot of their players come through their academy but they, along with other European giants, are not averse to paying big bucks for 9 year old kids.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Club v Country comparisons are not really valid. National sides can't decide they want another countries players and buy them (apart from the French). They can only be compared to other countries. In that respect, Brazil c1970 were miles ahead of anybody. Barcelona are by miles the best team that money can buy. And yes I know that a lot of their players come through their academy but they, along with other European giants, are not averse to paying big bucks for 9 year old kids.

I think the current Spanish side are better than the Brazil 1970 side, its not really a valid comparison though. Due to fitness levels the 1970 Brazil team would be goosed after an hour methinks.

ScottB
29-05-2011, 03:22 PM
It's the amount of possession they get that impresses me the most, more than 60% against a top team in a Champions League Final... Astonishing.

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Take out the diving and play acting and you might have a case.

Makaveli
29-05-2011, 03:32 PM
If Spain 2010 are indeed better than Brazil 1970 and if Barca 2011 are the best club side ever, surely a recognised Catalonia 2011 would be up there with the all-time great national sides?

They would lack world-class full-backs and a truly top-level striker -- have to "make do" with Bojan, Sergio Garcia, Serrano etc -- but a midfield of Xavi, Fabregas, Busquets and Iniesta (eligible through residency) is frightening. Valdés, Puyol and Pique would be a strong foundation at the back. They'd certainly sh** all over the rest of Spain.

Hypothetical, obviously, but so is the whole thread. The point I'd like to make is how strong a Catalan side would be despite the population of only 7.5m! It's easy to say Barca buy success but there's obviously something very right in the culture.

*edit: slipped my mind that Capdevila is also Catalan!

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-05-2011, 03:39 PM
If Spain 2010 are indeed better than Brazil 1970 and if Barca 2011 are the best club side ever, surely a recognised Catalonia 2011 would be up there with the all-time great national sides?

They would lack world-class full-backs and a truly top-level striker -- have to "make do" with Bojan, Sergio Garcia, Serrano etc -- but a midfield of Xavi, Fabregas, Busquets and Iniesta (eligible through residency) is frightening. Valdés, Puyol and Pique would be a strong foundation at the back. They'd certainly sh** all over the rest of Spain.

Hypothetical, obviously, but so is the whole thread. The point I'd like to make is how strong a Catalan side would be despite the population of only 7.5m! It's easy to say Barca buy success but there's obviously something very right in the culture.

Indeed!

DH1875
29-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I think the current Spanish side are better than the Brazil 1970 side, its not really a valid comparison though. Due to fitness levels the 1970 Brazil team would be goosed after an hour methinks.

So who is the better team then, Barca or the current Spanish team?

GhostofBolivar
29-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Quite right it's a faulty comparison.

40 years ago, Messi's hormone deficiancy would have prevented him from ever playing professionally.

Not saying you've done this, but I find it funny that people do that in comparisons, 'Team X wouldn't stand a chance because of modern training methods...'

It works both ways. Players in the 60s had to play with a ball that weighed half a ton, on pitches that at times resembled the Western Front and wearing boots that were closer to Doc Martens than the sculpted neon creations of today. How would Barca have fared in those conditions?

Talent will out. I for one shudder to think how good Puskas would have been if he'd not been the little fat guy and been trained to modern fitness standards.

Geo_1875
29-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Quite right it's a faulty comparison.

40 years ago, Messi's hormone deficiancy would have prevented him from ever playing professionally.

Not saying you've done this, but I find it funny that people do that in comparisons, 'Team X wouldn't stand a chance because of modern training methods...'

It works both ways. Players in the 60s had to play with a ball that weighed half a ton, on pitches that at times resembled the Western Front and wearing boots that were closer to Doc Martens than the sculpted neon creations of today. How would Barca have fared in those conditions?

Talent will out. I for one shudder to think how good Puskas would have been if he'd not been the little fat guy and been trained to modern fitness standards.

And Brazil done it when the opposition were allowed to make contact without getting sent off.

lapsedhibee
29-05-2011, 06:46 PM
And Brazil done it when the opposition were allowed to make contact without getting sent off.

They didn't manage it in the year that England won it though (can't remember exactly - think it was just before 1970). So that England would have a chance to win the tournament, refs were instructed to allow players to kick Brasil off the park. Portugal's duly did, off the park and out the competition :boo hoo:

Who was head of FIFA at the time, what nationality was he and was he ever investigated for corruption? :dunno: :wink:

heretoday
29-05-2011, 06:47 PM
It's the old story. You can't really compare teams from different eras.

The Ajax team from the 1970s played a similar "total football" game to Barca. Coincidentally, they also had one particular left-footed superstar.

If Ajax had been subjected to present day training and health standards they would have given Barca a game for sure.

Same goes for erstwhile teams from Real Madrid, Brazil, Bayern, Liverpool etc etc.

GhostofBolivar
29-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Definitely. Equally, Sacchi's Milan team benefited from a time before the offside rule was liberalised and when goalies could pick up back passes. They were able to squeeze the play into a small are of the pitch.

They would struggle against Barça today just as much as Barça would struggle without so much space to play in. Although a team with Gullit, Rijkard, van Basten, Baresi and Maldini would prosper in any era. Just as a team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa would.

One Day Soon
30-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Everyone else plays football, Barcelona are doing something above that.

Messi is just exceptional, with the ball and without. For me though Xavi and in particular Iniesta are the beating heart of it. Never seen better, doubt I ever will.

Since90+2
30-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Everyone else plays football, Barcelona are doing something above that.

Messi is just exceptional, with the ball and without. For me though Xavi and in particular Iniesta are the beating heart of it. Never seen better, doubt I ever will.

Iniesta is without doubt a fantastic player but for me Xavi is the best midfield player I have EVER seen. If you were picking an all time 11 I dont see how you could look past Xaxi as your playmaker.

ScottB
30-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Iniesta is without doubt a fantastic player but for me Xavi is the best midfield player I have EVER seen. If you were picking an all time 11 I dont see how you could look past Xaxi as your playmaker.

Indeed.

That's why they are, for me, the best TEAM ever. It's not just Messi, if he was anywhere else we'd be talking about him being a one man band, but with Barca it is their whole forward 6, they function together incredibly well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2011, 10:38 PM
So who is the better team then, Barca or the current Spanish team?

Very tricky one that!
Wouldnae be much in it, if you could clone the players so that Barcas Spanish players could be playing in both sides it would be some game tho!

sh00byd00
30-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Definitely. Equally, Sacchi's Milan team benefited from a time before the offside rule was liberalised and when goalies could pick up back passes. They were able to squeeze the play into a small are of the pitch.

They would struggle against Barça today just as much as Barça would struggle without so much space to play in. Although a team with Gullit, Rijkard, van Basten, Baresi and Maldini would prosper in any era. Just as a team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa would.

I dunno likesay. At their height, Milan horsed a very, very good Barca team 4-0 in the EC final. I think you're being a little bit harsh and kind of playing down how bloody good Baresi & co were. Those guys barely broke sweat, they were that good.

Septimus
31-05-2011, 05:33 AM
Wormit Amateurs were pretty damn good in 1956.

Stokesy
31-05-2011, 07:08 AM
I dunno likesay. At their height, Milan horsed a very, very good Barca team 4-0 in the EC final. I think you're being a little bit harsh and kind of playing down how bloody good Baresi & co were. Those guys barely broke sweat, they were that good.

Baresi and Costacurta were suspended and van Basten was injured for that game.

Could have been a lot worse for Barca.

DH1875
31-05-2011, 10:50 AM
They would lack world-class full-backs and a truly top-level striker -- have to "make do" with Bojan, Sergio Garcia, Serrano etc -- but a midfield of Xavi, Fabregas, Busquets and Iniesta (eligible throtugh residency) is frightening. Valdés, Puyol and Pique would be a strong foundation at the back. They'd certainly sh** all over the rest of Spain.

Know he's getting on a bit but you've also got Tamudo to play up front.
Think your talking a bit tom kite though. They'd beat a team of players from the Castilla regions but doubt they'd beat a team made up from all over the rest of Spain. Your also presuming Iniesta would pick a Catalan team over a Spanish team.