PDA

View Full Version : Most skillfull hibs player

erin go bragh
28-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Who is the most skillfull hibs player you have seen ? would have to say mine is russell latapy , too young to have seen gordon smith and willie hamilton !
ggtth

Sodje_18
28-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Latapy or Zouma, too young to see any of F5 or Tornadoes.

iwasthere1972
28-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Alex Cropley

Ollie Reed
28-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Who is the most skillfull hibs player you have seen ? would have to say mine is russell latapy , too young to have seen gordon smith and willie hamilton !ggtth

Those are the 2 names I thought of when first seeing this thread.

In the same boat as yourself so it would be Latapy, though I'd imagine Smith and Hamilton would be as good as any that graced the Scottish game.

Spike Mandela
28-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Hard to pick THE one.

Stanton, John Collins, Russel Latapy, Derek Riordan and Frank Sauzee all excelled with Sauzee just edging it for me.

However an honourable mention has to go to the period when Alex Miller had Wright, McAllister and O'neill in the team but for about a six month period around the same time he broke in to the Scotland team Darren Jackson was absolutely sublime.

Houchy
28-05-2011, 02:53 PM
In my time, it would have to be wee Russell. Murphy and sauzee:not worth were both skilful in another way though in that they both just strolled through a game while never looking like giving the opposition anything (it could also be argued that their skills in a deadball position could be classed as a skill in it's own). Kenny dalgleish would be up there with Russell for players that I have actually seen though although latapy produced it consistently over his time at the club rather than a 1 off game.

Kevin Mcallister and Michael o'neill were both quality too. See how spoilt we've been over the years. Not one of the current lot could lace the aboves boots.

matty_f
28-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Latapy for sheer trickery. Loved watching him in a hibs shirt. My favorite player is sauzee, but latapy is definitely the most skillful I've seen. Would actually put him in the same category as laudrup or gazza for sheet ability.

Dan Sarf
28-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Gordon Smith. He won the league with not 1, not 2, but 3 different non Old Form teams. I rest my case.

Ollie Reed
28-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Latapy for sheer trickery. Loved watching him in a hibs shirt. My favorite player is sauzee, but latapy is definitely the most skillful I've seen. Would actually put him in the same category as laudrup or gazza for sheet ability.

Well he was meant to be pretty good between the sheets too, sir.:wink:

Dan Sarf
28-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Gordon Smith. He won the league with not 1, not 2, but 3 different non Old Form teams. I rest my case.

Isn't it funny how, when you're being particularly pompous, something always lets you down!

NORTHERNHIBBY
Konte?

If not him, then Latapy.

fat freddy
if skill is measured in the ability to control, dribble and shoot a la messi, maradonna, laudrup ect..i would say the best hibs have had in that category in recent times would be latapy, collins, and mcallister...an honourable mention should go to dougie bell who had unbelievable ball control but we never saw him doing it consistantly due to injuries...george mccluskey should also be mentioned for his close ball control...for a few months he and collins were on another planet when they played together.

Luna_Asylum
28-05-2011, 03:03 PM
in no particular order

r.latapy
a.edwards
a.mcleod
m.zemmama

AgentDaleCooper
28-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Isn't it funny how, when you're being particularly pompous, something always lets you down!

...and you fail to form a valid argument on which to rest your case :wink:

fat freddy
28-05-2011, 03:07 PM
in no particular order

r.latapy
a.edwards
a.mcleod
m.zemmama

zemmama should not be mentioned in the same breath as the others you nominate...and to have him before collins beggars belief..

Luna_Asylum
28-05-2011, 03:16 PM
[/B]

zemmama should not be mentioned in the same breath as the others you nominate...and to have him before collins beggars belief..

any other rules?

Dan Sarf
28-05-2011, 03:19 PM
in no particular order

r.latapy
a.edwards
a.mcleod
m.zemmama

Do you mean Johnny McLeod who played on the right wing with Joe Baker in the middle? What a duo! I'd forgotten him.

Luna_Asylum
28-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Do you mean Johnny McLeod who played on the right wing with Joe Baker in the middle? What a duo! I'd forgotten him.

nope he must have before my time. a is for ally mcleod - accused by some as being a wee touch lazy!

Dan Sarf
28-05-2011, 03:59 PM
nope he must have before my time. a is for ally mcleod - accused by some as being a wee touch lazy!

Sorry, Ally McLeod, of course.

Johnny was a great wee player. Long time ago though.

Memories, eh. *** sigh ***

Luna_Asylum
28-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Sorry, Ally McLeod, of course.

Johnny was a great wee player. Long time ago though.

Memories, eh. *** sigh ***

Memories indeed. Some great memories of Ally. Best of many is when George Best played for us he would always shout for the ball. Normally everyone always passed to him straight away but if Ally had the ball he just ignored him :))

gringojoe
28-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Memories indeed. Some great memories of Ally. Best of many is when George Best played for us he would always shout for the ball. Normally everyone always passed to him straight away but if Ally had the ball he just ignored him :))

Ally was fat, had no pace, no stamina but what a footballer! His retaken free kick against Dundee was only something he could have done, pure brilliance.

Luna_Asylum
28-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Ally was fat, had no pace, no stamina but what a footballer! His retaken free kick against Dundee was only something he could have done, pure brilliance.

That was amazing. Did zemmama not have a brilliant re-taken free kick something similar but he put it in the opposite corner while Ally put it in the same place. Most likely I got that wrong!

weststandhibby
28-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Alex Cropley
George Best
Ally Macleod

With Crops just shading it.....

Jim44
28-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Edwards, Latapy and Willie Hamilton.

Bayern Bru
28-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Colin Murdock.
It must have taken some skill for him to convince anyone he was a footballer.
:greengrin

Joking aside though, wee Russell in my lifetime. Penalties, free kicks, dribbling, goals - he had the lot.

Betty Boop
28-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Jamie McLuskey must be worth a mention, those tricks and flicks at half-time are unforgettable. :duck:

HibbyDave
28-05-2011, 06:07 PM
GK: Goram
Defender: John Brownlie By a Mile.
Midfield:Des Bremner
Fwd:Alan gordon
Mgr: ET

Says nearly everything about my hibs career....Seen nothing really great from my club in the last 35 yrs.

Hiber-nation
28-05-2011, 06:24 PM
GK: Goram
Defender: John Brownlie By a Mile.
Midfield:Des Bremner
Fwd:Alan gordon
Mgr: ET

Says nearly everything about my hibs career....Seen nothing really great from my club in the last 35 yrs.

Sauzee and Latapy?????

These 2 are the most skilful I've seen, followed by George Best, Alex Edwards, Ally Macleod, JC, Cropley, Crunchie and Mikey O'Neill.

AlbertK86
28-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Most skilful

Latapy
Collins
Edwards
Archibald

All round football ability

Sauzee
Stanton

Hibby 2005
28-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Ally Brazil.

Forza Fred
29-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Being an official old fart now, I can nominate a few, who probably have been 'forgotten about''.

Jim Scott, who could dribble up the touchline like nobody I have seen since.

Eric Stevenson who could beat a man on a sixpence on the left wing, and also dive from halfway and land in the box in search of a penalty..8-)

Wee Johnny Hamilton, who burned out after a season'on the right wing, but during his 15 minutes of fame was a defender's nightmare.

And of course, Willie Hamilton, who hasnt been forgotten about,, but was simply Willie Hamilton, and defies explanation!

Stantons Angel
29-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Hibs supporters over the last 40-50 years have been spoiled with having the joy to have watched players of the ability of STANTON, Edwards, Latapy, Best, Weir, SAUZEE to name but a few.

My own favourite player is of course STANTON for sheer brilliance in everything he did made the man the idol of many. IMHO the only man close enough to him was SAUZEE. Between them, though generations apart, they wore the jersey with pride, respect and sheer CLASS!!!!

But as much as being the best there was, i have to say the Edwards was a sheer delight to watch on the ball. He was battered about the place by big huddies that couldnt get near him, but always managed to get a beauty of a pass through to Brownlie coming down the wing. Poor wee thing must have been black and blue after a game. (if he stayed on the park that long)!

Cropley on his game was always a treat, Georgie boy, well it goes with out saying.

Not one of our present "heroes" could lace any of their boots in terms of skill, ability and sheer class. These guys and many more live on in our memories.

:not worth

Kaiser1962
29-05-2011, 08:04 AM
In terms of sheer ability to do things with a football its a toss up between Alex Cropley and Alex Edwards with Cropley just shading it for me. I recall being in the enclosure in front of the main stand and watched spellbound as Cropley scored from the byeline about 8 yards from the near post. Bent it over a melee of players into the far corner. Can still see it yet.

Had Best and Sauzee been here in their prime they may have edged it, or Baker who I only saw in his second spell. I didnt see the FF

smurf
29-05-2011, 08:28 AM
In my lifetime Latapy.

hibsbollah
29-05-2011, 08:34 AM
[/B]

He certainly DOES deserve a mention and youre being ridiculously dismussive of the wee man. Zemmama was outrageously skilful, probably more so than Collins who did however have a better all round game.

In my lifetime its either Best or Latapy.

jdships
29-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Gordon Smith by a COUNTRY MILE :top marks:hibees

Bostonhibby
29-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Alex Cropley followed by Alex Edwards

davey 2 good
29-05-2011, 09:18 AM
What about peter marinello he was great he just went to the wrong club and city

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Black Kyle
29-05-2011, 10:17 AM
In my near 40 years, in no particular order...

Alex Edwards
Pat Stanton
Franck Sauzee
Russell Latapy
Ally McLeod
John Collins

Mon Dieu4
29-05-2011, 10:19 AM
He certainly DOES deserve a mention and youre being ridiculously dismussive of the wee man. Zemmama was outrageously skilful, probably more so than Collins who did however have a better all round game.

In my lifetime its either Best or Latapy.

Exactly, they may not have done it for the same period of time but the likes of Zemmama and I'd add Boozy in there as well were as skillful as most.

I still salivate thinking of Boozy taking the mickey out of Lennon only to let him try again and leaving him on his erky dinking the ball over him again :not worth

HibbyAndy
29-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Latapy in my lifetime.

johnrebus
29-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Cropley or Latapy.

:agree:

DH1875
29-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that out of all the names mentioned no-ones mentioned Deeks :dunno:.

marinello59
29-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that out of all the names mentioned no-ones mentioned Deeks :dunno:.

If the question was best finisher you have seen at Hibs then he would probably get more than a few mentions. Denis Law put a few away for Manchester United but he wouldn't be the first name to spring to mind when asking who the most skillful player ever to wear the red shirts was.

ancient hibee
29-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Being an official old fart now, I can nominate a few, who probably have been 'forgotten about''.

Jim Scott, who could dribble up the touchline like nobody I have seen since.

Eric Stevenson who could beat a man on a sixpence on the left wing, and also dive from halfway and land in the box in search of a penalty..8-)

Wee Johnny Hamilton, who burned out after a season'on the right wing, but during his 15 minutes of fame was a defender's nightmare.

And of course, Willie Hamilton, who hasnt been forgotten about,, but was simply Willie Hamilton, and defies explanation!
I think you may mean wee Johnny Grant-about the height of a corner flag.

Those who are naming Best are kidding themselves.

ForrieGreen
29-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Nish, No doubt about it!

LeithBoozy
30-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Big John Mcnamee, who had the skill of just having to look at a player, to put the ******rs right up them. He also scored some cracking goals from corner kicks for us, I loved that big guy. Just what we need now, a c/h who cleared his lines and took no prisoners. :greengrin

Septimus
30-05-2011, 06:46 AM
If we are looking for skill with the ball at his feet Bobby Johnstone takes a bit of beating. As an all round footballer it has to be between Smith and Stanton. The whole question is subjective and I rather like the answer of Ally Brazil. My boys were youngsters when he was at his peak and his name crops up more often than not when we discuss these times.

Judas Iscariot
30-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Latapy
Sauzee
Riordan
Zouma