PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Crunchie

sunshine1875
28-05-2011, 07:41 AM
How good was Crunchie when he was at Hibs? He was always a really enjoyable player to watch.

Anyone got good stories to tell about Crunchie.

Challenge for the day - you are not allowed to mention his real name!!!

Pedantic_Hibee
28-05-2011, 07:58 AM
He was far and away my favourite player at the time.

Maybe as time has passed, my memory is a bit more selective and generous however it seemed as if he did something magic every time he had the ball.

Wonderfully talented winger on his day, and he showed great courage when faced with two would-be burglars in Home Alone as well.

sunshine1875
28-05-2011, 08:04 AM
He was far and away my favourite player at the time.

Maybe as time has passed, my memory is a bit more selective and generous however it seemed as if he did something magic every time he had the ball.

Wonderfully talented winger on his day, and he showed great courage when faced with two would-be burglars in Home Alone as well.

:aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Although he had some decent games I thought more often than not that he was an imposter, who constantly told us how good it was at Falkirk.

aberhibsfc
28-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Although he had some decent games I thought more often than not that he was an imposter, who constantly told us how good it was at Falkirk.

Shurley shum mishtake.

Opinions are what make the football round.

For me, I was surprised to sign him from his beloved Falkirk. I'm glad he opted to make the move, the sight of him and O'Neill twisting the opposition defenders around was a joy to watch. 100% effort, plenty of talent, yes he was getting on, but imagine what a player of his skill would be valued at in today's market. Probably wouldn't get him anywhere near ER. The money down south especially in the lower echelons is an unnatural balance and restricts the quality within the SPL. Can't wait until the TV companies appreciate the recession and drop the money they are pumping in down there to the Scunthorpes etc.

smurf
28-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Terrific player. Him on the right. O'neil on the left and through the middle JAW.

Who said it was all miserablism under Lexo?!!

heidtheba
28-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Loved watching wee crunchie in my first season as a hibby!

I remember (in my much more naive days) seeing a Daily Ranger article saying they were interested in signing him for 2M and I was outraged! Turned out it was another player with the same surname (seem to remember him missing a crucial penalty against England in 96).

Was gutted when Duff Jimmy punted him. IIRC did he not almost single handedly rip up Hertz in a cup semi for Falkirk a year or two after he left us?

Fave Hibs player of all time to watch on the ball (and yes I did see Russell and Franck)!

Iggy Pope
28-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Loved watching wee crunchie in my first season as a hibby!

I remember (in my much more naive days) seeing a Daily Ranger article saying they were interested in signing him for 2M and I was outraged! Turned out it was another player with the same surname (seem to remember him missing a crucial penalty against England in 96).

Was gutted when Duff Jimmy punted him. IIRC did he not almost single handedly rip up Hertz in a cup semi for Falkirk a year or two after he left us?

Fave Hibs player of all time to watch on the ball (and yes I did see Russell and Franck)!

Ripped up the Hibs too on more than one occasion.
I was terrified of him when we faced them at Brockville.

Newry Hibs
28-05-2011, 05:34 PM
How good was Crunchie when he was at Hibs? He was always a really enjoyable player to watch.

Anyone got good stories to tell about Crunchie.

Challenge for the day - you are not allowed to mention his real name!!!

Is it Ryan Giggs?

Bayern Bru
28-05-2011, 05:40 PM
He stood out in my first ever Hibs game - a 0-0 draw with Kilmarnock at ER, in Tommy Burns' last game for them.

Remember saying to my dad as we were leaving that "I thought ***** ********* was good." :agree:

sunshine1875
29-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Is it Ryan Giggs?

No it is not Ryan Giggs!

I did think that we might need one of those superinjunctions to keep his name private. Whilst we have observed his privacy well on this forum, his name is available through the internet.

So.............I can review to those who don't know - which probably in only the younger generation - that Crunchie is actually Kevin McAllister (hence the reference to Home Alone).

He was a fantastic skillful player, which you will see if you watch the attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvM-ghiWmw

The vid shows our two new signings Crunchie and Michael O'Neil along with an impressive display from our current coach, Gareth Evans.

As an aside, there is a Crunchie mentioned in the attached Hibs Girls report from 2011. "Crunchie completed her fantastic haul of 5 goals and Hibs last goal of the game in the dying minutes, shortly before the ref blew the whistle to end the game." Anyone know who she is?

http://www.hibsgirls.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ArticleID=67

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2011, 08:26 AM
My last memory of the wee man was talking to him in Blackpool. He booked in the flats next door to our hotel for a week with his family. £20 a night, he knew how to live the high life.:greengrin

heretoday
29-05-2011, 08:35 AM
He tended to be lightweight and ineffectual. Nice guy.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-05-2011, 08:47 AM
He tended to be lightweight and ineffectual. Nice guy.

Phew! needed that!

Gala Foxes
29-05-2011, 09:03 AM
I remember Crunchie & Michael O'Neill tearing Raith Rovers to pieces in a midweek game at Easter Road. Hibs won 3-2

roondheid
29-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I remember Crunchie & Michael O'Neill tearing Raith Rovers to pieces in a midweek game at Easter Road. Hibs won 3-2

Was that not the game where Crunchie collected the ball at the corner flag and waltzed his way into the box before scoring? I think MO scored an amazing chip that night too? :not worth

O'Rourke3
30-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Most abiding memory is him playing for Falkirk at ER up the slope and scoring a goal at the end of a run that started in his own half. He was off to chelsea not long after....

Stevie Reid
30-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Was that not the game where Crunchie collected the ball at the corner flag and waltzed his way into the box before scoring? I think MO scored an amazing chip that night too? :not worth

Dunno about Crunchie but O'Neill definitely scored with a sublime chip that night, was a great game.

KM was sold far too early, as demonstrated by how long he performed well for Falkirk. IIRC Duffy let him go for £25K and we paid £100K for Paul Tosh - further horrendous transfer dealings like that we how Duffy managed to destroy Hibs in barely more than a year.

KWJ
30-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Remember him destroying Partick Thistle in a game I think we won 5-1.

Also remember this quite fondly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfHvg7r2rJI

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBO-dgEs3k

How did he not get a cap. Oh yeah, because he didn't play for the OF.

Russ
30-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Remember him destroying Partick Thistle in a game I think we won 5-1.

Also remember this quite fondly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfHvg7r2rJI

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBO-dgEs3k

How did he not get a cap. Oh yeah, because he didn't play for the OF.

Brilliant wee player always capable of the unexpected, great servant for the club. On a lighter note, after looking at your clip, some 20 or so clips later i came across this, nuthin to do with Hibs,. but is this funny or what

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBKk_b2WNQ&feature=related

patlowe
30-05-2011, 11:19 AM
It's interesting that there are a couple of guys suggesting Crunchie was not all that he was cracked up to be because along with Michael O'Neill, he managed to turn a wee boy who didn't really get football into a massive hibs fan and a football addict. Was gutted when he was sold, I couldn't believe it!

It's the mavericks like Crunchie, the aforementioned O'Neill, Latapy, Zemmama, Deek a few years back etc, who, despite their obvious flaws, are the ones who make you actively want to go to ER on a Saturday. Too often in recent times my attendance has been purely out of a sense of duty.

CRAZYHIBBY
30-05-2011, 02:53 PM
i remember him picking up the ball and bouncing it off a celtic players head........anyone remember the celtic player in question?? Sure it was a 0-0 draw