PDA

View Full Version : British Pathe News Hibs v Celtic early 1970's at Hampden Attendance - 106,000

Stanton
27-05-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73637 (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73637)

Result not so good :rolleyes:...but interesting old footage :agree:

son of haggart
27-05-2011, 08:10 PM
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73637 (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73637)

Do you know which game it was?

Looks like Jimmy Reid at 8 minutes in?

Hiber-nation
27-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Do you know which game it was?

Looks like Jimmy Reid at 8 minutes in?

Ye ken fine :greengrin

Great footage, shame about the result, I gret and gret :boo hoo:

son of haggart
27-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Ye ken fine :greengrin

Great footage, shame about the result, I gret and gret :boo hoo:

I wasn't fishing - I went to a League cup final with a Hibs supporting mate which Celtic won 6-1 or something (would need to look it up) so I was looking to see myself in the crowd.

The main thing I remember about the day is it was incredibly hot, my mates dad collapsed with breathing difficulties (the dust was getting stamped up into the air) and he was taken away into the stadium medical facilities. I think I watched most of the match on my own, and missed bits of it trying to fnd my mate, and his dad.

Hiber-nation
27-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I wasn't fishing - I went to a League cup final with a Hibs supporting mate which Celtic won 6-1 or something (would need to look it up) so I was looking to see myself in the crowd.

The main thing I remember about the day is it was incredibly hot, my mates dad collapsed with breathing difficulties (the dust was getting stamped up into the air) and he was taken away into the stadium medical facilities. I think I watched most of the match on my own, and missed bits of it trying to fnd my mate, and his dad.

It was the big one, no the diddy one!

Wasn't there but painful.

son of haggart
27-05-2011, 08:25 PM
It was the big one, no the diddy one!

Wasn't there but painful.

Right - just checked it - must have been that one. Old memory going - I was 16 at the time. I was fairly neutral (Hearts season ticket holder but mates had gone with me to the 1968 final so agreed to go) - more so than I would be now anyway. Felt sorry for my mate's dad who was a big fan, but saw his team beat (or at least the first few goals) then taken to hospital. Not a good day.

I can just remember how hot and dusty and delapidated and sad it all was in the losing team's area of the ground.

Hiber-nation
27-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Right - just checked it - must have been that one. Old memory going - I was 16 at the time. I was fairly neutral (Hearts season ticket holder but mates had gone with me to the 1968 final so agreed to go) - more so than I would be now anyway. Felt sorry for my mate's dad who was a big fan, but saw his team beat (or at least the first few goals) then taken to hospital. Not a good day.

I can just remember how hot and dusty and delapidated and sad it all was in the losing team's area of the ground.

Aye, I'm not a fan of Hampden now but in these days it was just horrible.

Iggy Pope
27-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Lying about yer age!

Ray_
27-05-2011, 08:32 PM

6-2, Hibs didn't start playing until they were 6-0 down :greengrin

son of haggart
27-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Lying about yer age!

? How so

born march 1956 - the final was 1972 in May, no?

Hiber-nation
27-05-2011, 08:54 PM
6-2, Hibs didn't start playing until they were 6-0 down :greengrin

I had forgotten about that one :boo hoo:

But the footage is from the 1972 Scottish Cup Final.

Iggy Pope
27-05-2011, 09:00 PM
? How so

Says yer 65 below your Avatar,,,,,,, No?

surreyhibbie
27-05-2011, 09:14 PM

Our friends of the pink persuasion get an age of 62 (6-2, geddit?) when they register now, or when the Admins feel like it, and it is automatically updated..

Don't believe ANYTHING connected with the Yams !:greengrin

...and SOH is one of the less annoying ones.

BEEJ
27-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I was trying to do the maths there as well and couldn't get the numbers to square.

:tee hee:

Alfred E Newman
27-05-2011, 09:24 PM

What a great old film. That day was a big disappointment and a day that saw some of the worst terracing violence I have ever experienced. Trouble raged on under the covered terracing for most of the match with over 200 arrests made.
In those days you just bought your cairry oot and paid at the gate. With a capacity at that time of 135000 there was no need for tickets.
The guid auld days right enough.

son of haggart
27-05-2011, 09:59 PM

To go back to my original question the game that I attended was almost certainly the 1969 6-2 league cup final and not the one shown here (it makes more sense as me attending was a return for my mate attending the Hearts Dunfy final the year before). And it also explains my fairly bad reaction to being left on my own as I would have been just turned 13 then.

The Harp
27-05-2011, 10:19 PM
? How so

Oh No! I thought you were a year older than me. If I'd known you were just a young Yam whippersnapper I wouldn't have been so respectful towards you when commenting on your posts on here. :wink:

heretoday
27-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Great days! Is it that long ago? I agree it's probably the 6-1 game. I thought it might have been the 6-3 Harper hat trick game. Either way, Hibs defence looks characteristically static when it mattered.

Sides seem to be playing the same way in the second half. Of course "changing ends" was only brought in during the 1975-76 season. :cool2:

Stantons Angel
27-05-2011, 10:45 PM
I too attended this game and the 6-1, 6-3 games. If i recollect correctly it was a very hot day and Hampden was packed. My young pal had to be lifted out of the crowd under the covered end as she was hit on the head by a can full of beer!

it was so disappointing in those days of cup finals against Celtic we seemed to freeze everytime we played them.

We beat them 5-3 in the Dryburgh Cup and there was a lot of fighting on the Celtic terracing that day too. We were beating them 3-0 and the Celtic supporters decided to fight amongst themselves. The game had to be stopped till all those that had spilled on to the track were shepherded back on to the terracing . THis upset Hibs concentration and they came back at us 3-3.

Extra time and wee jimmy came on to score the next goal and we ended up
5-3 winners. Great game of football from some very skillfull players!

Ah memories................:agree:

iwasthere1972
27-05-2011, 11:04 PM

That was a terrible day. I was in the covered end which IIRC we shared with Celtic. Although there was a fence for segregation it didn't stop the continual missile throwing from both sets of supporters. Don't think I saw any of the goals........just bottles.

hibee_nation
27-05-2011, 11:09 PM
My dad took us into the wrong end, nightmare. We left at 4-1 when my dad could take no more, he was an ex navy boxer and was ready to start on them for the crap that was coming my way, i was 12 at the time. Waiting for the fitba special some tic fan showed us 6 fingers which i mistook for us getting beat 5-1, if only. As has been mentioned earlier we always gave the huns a good game back then but the tic gave us some doings. Still revenge was sweet in the League Cup Final on Dec 9th 1972. Was even more bother at that game, weegie ****.

Bostonhibby
28-05-2011, 08:04 AM

:agree: Thats the one, I was there, my now deceased Hearts supporting uncle got 2 tickets and even took me on a Hibs supporters bus!

Iggy Pope
28-05-2011, 08:11 AM
? How so

Sorry SoH - looks likemy misinterpretation.

Our friends of the pink persuasion get an age of 62 (6-2, geddit?) when they register now, or when the Admins feel like it, and it is automatically updated..

Don't believe ANYTHING connected with the Yams !:greengrin

...and SOH is one of the less annoying ones.

I know this of SoH
Might be a better idea to leave there ages at 62 then. Better to have no idea what age they are than give this impression.

franco
28-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Now Thats What You Call A Hibs Strip, Nothing Fancy Thats How It Should Be:agree:

Kojock
28-05-2011, 09:30 AM
My dad took us into the wrong end, nightmare. We left at 4-1 when my dad could take no more, he was an ex navy boxer and was ready to start on them for the crap that was coming my way, i was 12 at the time. Waiting for the fitba special some tic fan showed us 6 fingers which i mistook for us getting beat 5-1, if only. As has been mentioned earlier we always gave the huns a good game back then but the tic gave us some doings. Still revenge was sweet in the League Cup Final on Dec 9th 1972. Was even more bother at that game, weegie ****.

Snap, I was only ten and my dad took us into the Celtic end. Got threatened with all sorts of things when I cheered Alan Gordons goal. Luckily my dad stepped in to protect me. These grown men must be proud of themselves threatening wee laddies. :rolleyes:

Penrith Hibee
28-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I was there, under the covered end and it was wall to wall fighting and missile throwing, as it was in the next game when we beat them 2-1 later that year to make up a little bit for the 6-1 gubbing.

The strips were good and notice that we were both playing in our 'home' kits! no problem...

JimBHibees
28-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Went to this game also was gutted as thought we would do them however remember them ripping us. Think we froze on the day. Was 10 at the time and the Celtc fans round me were fine and they even gave me some coins when they scored each goal so not all bad. :greengrin Can remember there being a shed load of trouble at the Rangers end as there was when we beat them later that year in the League cup final.

Iggy Pope
28-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I was there, under the covered end and it was wall to wall fighting and missile throwing, as it was in the next game when we beat them 2-1 later that year to make up a little bit for the 6-1 gubbing.

The strips were good and notice that we were both playing in our 'home' kits! no problem...

Pretty much always played in their traditional kits - there never was a problem. I recall Celtic playing in Yellow shirts against us occasionally, but not often.

Gettin' Auld
28-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Many of that lot have 6 fingers - Probably inbreeding that causes it!!! :agree: