PDA

View Full Version : If You Came Into Serious Money...

Greentinted
27-05-2011, 01:30 PM
by means of hard graft and good business acumen, or a fortuitous Euromillions jackpot acquisition (or some such similar), would you plough any of it into Hibs? And if so would you impose any caveats? - perhaps hand a few bob over to Rod on the understanding it would to be utilised solely in terms of the playing side of the club.

dangermouse
27-05-2011, 01:35 PM
If I could spare a few Million I reckon setting up some sort of trust fund to continually put money into the club rather than waste a few million on a "Big Name" signing.

Jim44
27-05-2011, 01:40 PM
by means of hard graft and good business acumen, or a fortuitous Euromillions jackpot acquisition (or some such similar), would you plough any of it into Hibs? And if so would you impose any caveats? - perhaps hand a few bob over to Rod on the understanding it would to be utilised solely in terms of the playing side of the club.

Don't be silly. Petrie wouldn't accept such a frivolous and wasteful use of good money. Why plough it into something which can only benefit the team and the emotional mindset of the supporters, when it can be used to buy bricks and mortar and maintain the virtuous status of a well run business whose mission seems to be 'never mind the quality, feel the financial security.'

steakbake
27-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I'd maybe give a bit. Maybe get the corners filled in or perhaps bring the East Stand down by a foot so that it is the same height as all the other stands.

But buy a football club? Only madmen and people who aren't really interested in football do that! :wink:

greenlex
27-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Pay off the debt and let the club get in with it.

hibsbollah
27-05-2011, 01:54 PM
i have this fantasy quite regularly, usually including me picking the team, being made manager and ending with a league and cup double and my name being sung from all four stands (well, 3 and a half).

iwasthere1972
27-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I would buy season tickets for everyone on Hibs.net who doesn't already have one and set up a free bar at the Harp and Castle for every matchday during the season.

I wouldn't stop there. I would also pay for transport to take our fans on away days and throw in a pre-match pie and pint.

:aok:

Woody1985
27-05-2011, 02:05 PM
It would all depend on the amount.

If it was 10 million, they'd get nout. If it were 100 million on the Euros I'd look to do something like stick 6 million or so on the condition it was used for players, on top of the existing budget, and then the club went back to running itself once those 'player' funds were used.

My sole intention of doing that would be for hibs to have a decent go at winning the Scottish before my grandad pops his clogs (71 now) as he won't have too many more to go. Spending a few mil trying to pull together for a one/two season wonder would be all the money was good for but that would be it.

I know it would benefit the club more to have the debt wiped out but I think a season of spending would go down better. :greengrin

Sodje_18
27-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Would pay off all debts, make false promises ie. champions league in 5 years. Build a new mega stand. Pick the team myself. Wait, this sounds familiar :wink:

trev the hat
27-05-2011, 02:22 PM
There should already be something in place along the lines of a supporters trust fund, so the club could eventually be bought out by supporters.
Think Barca have something like this in place where there are something like 200,000 shareholders, so the club would never be owned by one individual, thus preventing serious financial problems encountered by one owner.

I would be happy to leave a few quid (if my wallet allowed) when i popped ma clogs knowing that it would go to some kind of supporters trust, that could help towards buying the club for the fans.

I,m sure STF would happily sell if a genuine fans money pot was available.

Trev

JeMeSouviens
27-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I would buy season tickets for everyone on Hibs.net who doesn't already have one

Why? What have they ever done to you? :confused:

Andy74
27-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Even serious money would make little impact long term.

Rangers and Celtic if I'm right pay something like £30m a year on wages.

So you'd need to punt in about £25m a year, forever, to make an impact.

Kaiser1962
27-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Even serious money would make little impact long term.

Rangers and Celtic if I'm right pay something like £30m a year on wages.

So you'd need to punt in about £25m a year, forever, to make an impact.

Over a three year period that accounts are available Rangers average £31m and Celtic £38m.

Then Hearts £11.4m Aberdeen £5.6m and Hibs £4.5m.

Greentinted
27-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Some interesting and amusing ideas.
I mind years ago (mid-90s) meeting a guy on holiday who was a fanatical Leeds supporter who had made provisions in his will to the tune of several million pounds for the club he loved.

Not sure what I would do but if it was big, big money I would probably attempt to buy proper short-term success with it by making a 'donation purely on the player front' in the knowledge that the long-term security of the club was safe in the correct hands as per the status-quo.

I certainly wouldn't want any executive/accountancy role though.

sesoim
27-05-2011, 06:09 PM
STF bought Hibs at the best time - we were a bargain in 1991. Today, you'd have to pay at least ten times that. Also, what potential we still had in 1991 has dwindled away as we've had more bad years than good since then.

If I was going to buy a team I'd buy an English lower Division club that is underperforming. The potential is huge there if you get it right. Even if we were winning cups, finishing 3rd and going on good runs in Europe, it would still be hard for us to afford a team that could get close to the Old Firm. We'd really need an eccentric billionaire to buy us for that.

EVENTUALLY
27-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Hibs are ripe to Buy. Stands and Training Centre are in place and finances are in very good shape.

If I won the Euros, say 80M I would flash in 70M and move Hibs up a few gears.
I'll easily get by on 10M and look after family and friends into the bargain. Think of the excitement and anticipation and the very real prospect of making a difference even in the short term and the whole Hibs community sharing in my good luck to a extent with reduced prices and other incentives to hit the glory trail.

sunshine1875
27-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Funny, I thought about this a few days ago.

For Hibs, spending the cash on a few big names would be unsustainable and would lead to long term pain.

Instead, I would look at a business model that would be based on steady and ever increasing growth (rather than the slow decline we have at the moment).

My first job would be to recruit a respected international trainer (not a manager). I would then develop a network of scouts that could target the best up and coming youth from around the world and set up a football 'centre of excellence' at East Mains. These young players would get the best available training, get a good pay cheque and a cut of any transfer fee above £4m.

They would be trained to play the fast passing game that the top teams play. Ok, this may take a few years to pick up momentum. So my interim step would be to appoint a Sauzee type player who can lead from the front on the pitch. I don't really think it takes much in our league to get a team on the front foot (see Killie with Ermenko(sp).

Cameron1875
27-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Funny, I thought about this a few days ago.

For Hibs, spending the cash on a few big names would be unsustainable and would lead to long term pain.

Instead, I would look at a business model that would be based on steady and ever increasing growth (rather than the slow decline we have at the moment).

My first job would be to recruit a respected international trainer (not a manager). I would then develop a network of scouts that could target the best up and coming youth from around the world and set up a football 'centre of excellence' at East Mains. These young players would get the best available training, get a good pay cheque and a cut of any transfer fee above £4m.

They would be trained to play the fast passing game that the top teams play. Ok, this may take a few years to pick up momentum. So my interim step would be to appoint a Sauzee type player who can lead from the front on the pitch. I don't really think it takes much in our league to get a team on the front foot (see Killie with Ermenko(sp).

Yep thats the same sort of thing i'd like to spend my money on. Hire the best coaches and get an extensive scouting network. Its easy to invest £50 million on players but with the right scouts a bargain like hernandez at Man Utd for £6 million can be found.

I'd also buy hearts and turn the stadium into flats and make them play at murrayfield.:devil:

TRC
27-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I think it will take a big offer to get Hibs these days, although he is not a 'football supporter' I think Sir Tom has grown found of us I also think he would never have his hand pushed like Robinson at the yams and sell to some submariner who just got off the boat!

Jones28
27-05-2011, 11:34 PM
I'd put in a total of £10 million

£5 Million now, up front, to spend on debt reduction/players etc

£5 million in a fund that pays out EITHER when we win the Scottish cup, or in 30 years time