PDA

View Full Version : Alex Edwards

greenteam
27-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Being out the country for years, Ive missed lots of news and footie related stuff.
My question is. Does anyone know where he now lives. I was at his house in !975 in Cairnyhill (near Dunfermline) when I was 8 and he gave me my first Hibs top. I heard he moved to Arbroath. Anybody know?. He must be 65 by now. thanks.
:hibees

JimBHibees
27-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Being out the country for years, Ive missed lots of news and footie related stuff.
My question is. Does anyone know where he now lives. I was at his house in !975 in Cairnyhill (near Dunfermline) when I was 8 and he gave me my first Hibs top. I heard he moved to Arbroath. Anybody know?. He must be 65 by now. thanks.

The guy was my favourite player as a kid thought he was brilliant.

greenteam
27-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Yea, thought that too. Im trying to find the guy that took me to every Hibs home game from 1969 to 1983. He was a good mate of Alex and was hoping to find tthe guy through him.
Never got the chance to thank him for making me a hibbie.:thumbsup:

Mickey Edwards
27-05-2011, 09:52 AM

snap

Jack
27-05-2011, 09:54 AM
He was the subject of a great article in the Hootsmonthenoo about a year ago, maybe slightly longer, he was in Cairnyhill at the time.

Aubenas
27-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Maybe the Hibs Former Players Association could help? Contact through the club -I think Paul Kane runs it. Good luck
Alternately, Mickey was at the book launch for Stanton's Dream Team, so I presume Black and White Publishing would have a contact

greenteam
27-05-2011, 10:00 AM
He was the subject of a great article in the Hootsmonthenoo about a year ago, maybe slightly longer, he was in Cairnyhill at the time.

Thanks for that, will try find out through mates in Cairnyhill. They must know.
I grew up in Crossford and Craig Leveins mum lived on the corner. Hated him at the time as he was playing for the yams.:agree:

greenteam
27-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Maybe the Hibs Former Players Association could help? Contact through the club -I think Paul Kane runs it. Good luck
Alternately, Mickey was at the book launch for Stanton's Dream Team, so I presume Black and White Publishing would have a contact

Thanks mate. Will try that now. Im in Manchester at the moment, but visiting soon, so would be good to get a lead on him....thanks again.:hnet:

alexedwards
27-05-2011, 10:04 AM
As Prem Kumar in Slumdog Millionaire would say - "Wot a plaaayyeerr"

greenteam
27-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Think he played in Dunfermline team that beat Valencia 6-2. Those were the days.
Wish I could of seen the Barcelona 4 Hibs 4 game. Anyway, back to reality.:cgwa

Hibees07
27-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Funny you should ask as there is a piece about him in the Dunfermline Press this week, apparently he spotted a big black cat in the Cairneyhill area.

They mention his address as Hilton Road, I assume that is Cairneyhill, although I'm sure there is a Hilton Road in Rosyth.

Hope this helps. :aok:

HNA9
27-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Just so you're all aware - we won't allow any personal details posted in here.

Hibees07
27-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Just so you're all aware - we won't allow any personal details posted in here.

Soz, but it is in the Newspaper for public consumption.

HNA9
27-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Soz, but it is in the Newspaper for public consumption.

His exact address was? We won't allow it.

Spike Mandela
27-05-2011, 01:36 PM

He was a salesman with Alloa Brewery Co which could be another avenue of investigation for you.

Fifer
27-05-2011, 04:14 PM

He still stays in cairnyhill, same house.

Golden Bear
27-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Alex has rightly been labelled "Scotland's best ever uncapped player."

The wee man was an absolute genius and a great entertainer but unfortunately he also had a fiery temper which hampered him throughout his career.

Dr_Regal
27-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for that, will try find out through mates in Cairnyhill. They must know.
I grew up in Crossford and Craig Leveins mum lived on the corner. Hated him at the time as he was playing for the yams.:agree:

Same here, he moved into the house accross the road from me in Crossford, and use to give me grief kicking the ball about. I was wearing my Hibs top and he was playing for Hearts. I hated him, but he was nice guy, very quiet,He still lives in Crossford I believe.

ancient hibee
27-05-2011, 06:42 PM

The wee man was an absolute genius and a great entertainer but unfortunately he also had a fiery temper which hampered him throughout his career.
He was summed up for me when we were about 6-0 up against Cowdenbeath and he ran 50 yards to become the third player booked(after Gordon and O'Rourke)in the same incident-dissent over a wrong offside call.

JimBHibees
28-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Yet other equally fiery players managed to don the dark blue such as Alex MacDonald and Willie Johnston. :rolleyes:

Alfred E Newman
28-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I think he was at the Eddie Turnbull tribute game though I might be wrong.

whiskyhibby
28-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Same here although I have to admit he shared that honour with Sir pat and Jimmy O'Rourke...............

A fantastic footballer who could ping a cross field pass 40 yards onto a sixpence

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

whiskyhibby
28-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Same here, he moved into the house accross the road from me in Crossford, and use to give me grief kicking the ball about. I was wearing my Hibs top and he was playing for Hearts. I hated him, but he was nice guy, very quiet,He still lives in Crossford I believe.

I dont think so.................................

Frank Moon
28-05-2011, 10:32 PM
By coincidence he is in the Dunfermline Press Newspaper this week as he 'saw a Puma' near his home in Cairneyhill.

Iggy Pope
28-05-2011, 10:36 PM
I dont think so.................................

He's talking about Levein, who very definitely did. And looks like he still should the ****.

whiskyhibby
29-05-2011, 11:36 AM
He's talking about Levein, who very definitely did. And looks like he still should the ****.

Missed that ! :rolleyes:

superfurryhibby
30-05-2011, 12:13 PM
He was summed up for me when we were about 6-0 up against Cowdenbeath and he ran 50 yards to become the third player booked(after Gordon and O'Rourke)in the same incident-dissent over a wrong offside call.

He might be better summed up by a look at the 7-0 game, with his exquisite passing playing a big part in some orf the goals.

As somebody mentioned, the article in the Scotman was fantastic and a reminder that Alex was very succesful with Dunfermline in the sixties. I believe the guy made his first team debut whilst still only 15. The temprement thing is over played. He was the victim of some shocking abuse on a weekly basis and referees seemed to turn a blind eye to it whilst having radar ears for any negative comment the wee man might make about it. I believe his 60 day suspension was for throwing the ball away after he had been near assasinated by an East Fife player in the same game as Brownlie had his leg broken, says it all really.