PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Dark Side!

spike220
27-05-2011, 02:20 AM
I was having a chat with a mate of mine and we both drew a blank on this one. Has any one ever heard or known any one who has gone from being a Hibs supporter to the Yams or vice versa. I am talking about real fans that go matches and supprt their club by buying merchandise and getting involved, rather than people that just say... I support so and so.

I have never heard of this (well nobody over the age of 16) doing this. But I'd be keen to hear some stories about anyone who has.

Has anyone on here come from the darkside?

GGTTH

Ritchie
27-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Yes, I know someone from Penicuik who used to go to Easter road all the time and was a hibee, but then he ended turning onto a yam and follows them everywhere.

Think it was to copy whoever he was mates with at the time.

At The Edge
27-05-2011, 06:59 AM
There is a book about a Hibs fan who followed Hearts for a year, not sure if its any good,
Heartfelt

Supping Bovril From The Devil's Cup

Aidan Smith

ISBN: 1841584223

poolman
27-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Yes, I know someone from Penicuik who used to go to Easter road all the time and was a hibee, but then he ended turning onto a yam and follows them everywhere.

Think it was to copy whoever he was mates with at the time.

Never in yer puff a true fan then

How in the name o' **** could anyone who supports Hibs and then sticks on a smelly pink scarf and goes shouting for the Yams :jamboak:

Disc O'Dave
27-05-2011, 07:22 AM
I do recall one lad from school was a Hibs Kid (if it was called that back then), but then switched sides mid-season in, oooh, must have been......1986 (that would make us 13)

He still took the free tickets to the games, and I might be wrong in the fact that it was a "hibs kid" game against Dundee Utd on the last day of that season and he was sat in the row in front of us, telling us how funny it was that he would be in the main stand at Easter Road on the day Hearts won the league.

Oh how we laughed

TamHibs
27-05-2011, 07:22 AM
There is a book about a Hibs fan who followed Hearts for a year, not sure if its any good,
Heartfelt

Aidan Smith

That's actually a pretty decent read

The Harp
27-05-2011, 07:39 AM
I can only think of one who switched sides but at least she did it the right way round. As a youngster in the 60's she was an avid Yam (although we hadn't conjured up the term back then) - never missed a home game and travelled a fair bit with them too.
Then romance came into her life - she met and married a fervent Hibee, and converted to the good guys.:aok: She became as passionate about the Hibs as she had been in her days following the dark side.
I lost touch wi' her a long time ago and I heard that the happy couple split up years ago. Hope she's not given up the cause.

Pretty Boy
27-05-2011, 07:54 AM
One of my best mates was a season ticket holder at Tynecastle until he was about 15 then me and a couple of mates dragged him to ER a few times and gradually one him round. He goes to more Hibs games than me now and absolutley loathes that mob with a passion.

When i was about 6 or 7 i asked to go to a Hearts game with my cousin just to see what it was like so i went and wore the scarf the lot. Even at that age it just felt wrong. I can safely say my bi-curious stage is well behind me.

Don't know any Hibs fans who have become yams, one question - why?

greenlex
27-05-2011, 08:00 AM
I bad Hun leanings as a small kid before I actually went to game. Does this count?

AndersonGGTTH
27-05-2011, 08:16 AM
my dad used to be a bun when he was like 12!

now he is one of the biggest hibs fans i know ! every home and away (barr one or two a season) sponsors two players etc.. its just weird though..

steakbake
27-05-2011, 08:30 AM
I knew of a guy who used to be a Hibby but when we were going through a bad patch, decided he wanted to support a new team. His mum suggested that he should support Celtic instead because they also play in green. Sufficed to say, he's a lesser green now.

I have heard of people in days gone by who used to support Hearts and Hibs and would alternate between the two depending on home games.

easty
27-05-2011, 08:42 AM
My wee brother Russell. :bitchy: I've got 2 brothers and we were brought up in a Hibby household, dad took us all along to Easter Road all the time, we were all there at the Skol cup final celebrating....5 years or so later and Russell decides he's a Yam.

My mum and dad are now divorced, coincedence? It might have nothing to do with it, or it could be the only reason there was ever any tension in the Easton household was that one ridiculous decision by my strange brother.

Moral of this story to tell all your kids/friends/relatives - if you change from a Hibby to a Yam your mummy and daddy will get a divorce. :agree:

Ollie75
27-05-2011, 08:50 AM
I came up from down south when I was about 7 or 8, (though was born in Scotland!) and most of the kids at my primary school followed the jambos, so I followed them (with my Margate accent and knitted jumpers - cheers maw - thought it best to fit in). Neighbour of mine was a die hard Hibee, and his folks took me down to Easter road in the summer for an open day/meet the players type deal. I was a goalie and got to meet and get tips from Andy Gorum and Alan Rough, been a Hibee since. Was a magic day, and won't happen again in this age of "professionialism" as players just not interested.

Ritchie
27-05-2011, 08:58 AM
One of my best mates was a season ticket holder at Tynecastle until he was about 15 then me and a couple of mates dragged him to ER a few times and gradually one him round. He goes to more Hibs games than me now and absolutley loathes that mob with a passion.

When i was about 6 or 7 i asked to go to a Hearts game with my cousin just to see what it was like so i went and wore the scarf the lot. Even at that age it just felt wrong. I can safely say my bi-curious stage is well behind me.

Don't know any Hibs fans who have become yams, one question - why?

LTYF!!!!!:jamboak:

:wink:

dangermouse
27-05-2011, 09:47 AM
I knew of a guy who used to be a Hibby but when we were going through a bad patch, decided he wanted to support a new team. His mum suggested that he should support Celtic instead because they also play in green. Sufficed to say, he's a lesser green now.

I have heard of people in days gone by who used to support Hearts and Hibs and would alternate between the two depending on home games.

My father in law used to do this. Back then though there was bugger all else to do on a Saturday unless you fancied a trip to the cinema but thankfully BW wasn't in charge.

MountcastleHibs
27-05-2011, 11:01 AM
My brother used to be a Hibs fan. He'd never been to a game, but did have a few strips when he was younger. About age 12, he decided he was going to be a yam, simply because my dad was and he asked him to take him to a fee games. He now holds a season ticket at the PBS.

Also have a mate that switched from Hibs to the yams and back again! He was only 13 when he made his decision to stop switching and stuck with the cabbage.

happiehibbie
27-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I am a Hibs fan but also watch Hearts when Hibs are not at home I take some stick for from the hrats fans when things are going wrong for them but its all good fun it but i get to watch a lot of foottie

let the abuse begin

Greentinted
27-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Also have a mate that switched from Hibs to the yams and back again! He was only 13 when he made his decision to stop switching and stuck with the cabbage.

If you mean who I think you do, the laddie was always going to eschew that shower of morons. Particularly in the wake of having his erroneous ways highlighted.
I lost one to the dark side, I wisnae losing another...:wink:

dangermouse
27-05-2011, 01:32 PM
My eldest son was brought up a Hibee but flitted temporarily to the dark side thanks to my ex. The flitting didn't stop there and has supported more teams that I care to remember but has settled on the Arabs as he lives in Dundee.

Sodje_18
27-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Never heard of this, I do have some good news to bring to this board though! I've managed to turn a tic fan and a hun into a pair of hibees :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
27-05-2011, 02:16 PM
I occasionally went to Tynecastle to watch the Jambos when Hibs were playing away. I was too young to be trusted to get on a bus or train and leave Edinburgh and it was the done thing in the late 60's/early 70's. :agree:

I even cheered when they scored a goal. It wasn't often as they were really abysmal at the time and their crowds were even more abysmal. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
27-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Performed a couple of successful exorcisms on (former) Yams over the years. Two chaps in particular owe me a great deal, I've saved them from pathetic delusion, paedophille sexual tendency and rabid war nostalgia in one fell swoop.

It makes a healthy outdoor life on the road caravaning and rive tarmacking worthwhile.

jakki
27-05-2011, 04:14 PM
I am a Hibs supporter but in the early 60's used to go week about to ER and Slimecastle. Then I discovered the Hibs Supporters club and their away travel plan of juniors selling 10 hibs bingo tickets each week to get free transport on their supporters' buses for away games. After that, I only attended Slimecastle when Hibs played there.

Does the HSA still have such a plan for our future fans? :confused:

Greentinted
27-05-2011, 04:37 PM
I used to be mates with a guy originally from Glasgow who started off as a Rangers fan, moved through here when he was 7 or so and was indoctrinated into the Mini-Hun coven at Tynie and eventually, in his late teens, turned to Hibs after rejecting 'that religious sh*te'. Still see him now at ER after almost 25 years.
:flag:

TRC
27-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Knew a guy that had yam family ties but not his Dad who wasn't a football fan. He stayed in a Hibs part of town and went to a mostly Hibs supporting school and most of his pals were Hibees he was a yam till we were about 16-17 then switched to the good side much to the annoyance of his sister!

The Baldmans Comb
27-05-2011, 11:45 PM
The only person I can think of is the fat striker himself.

John Robertson, Hibs fan as a boy and young man but Hearts legend, duff manager and chief cheerleader for the last 25 years hence :rolleyes:

Bayern Bru
27-05-2011, 11:52 PM
I've got a mate in his early 20s, who, I kid you not, has supported four different SPL teams in the past 10 years.

He's from Livingston, so started off supporting Livi - I remember him taunting me at school after they beat us in THAT league cup final - but when things went downhill for them, he decided he was a Hearts fan. This was coincidentally when Burley was manager and they won the Champions League in front of a full house of 400,000.

He then decided that he was a Hibs fan and celebrated our 5-1 win over Killie in the league cup final.

However, following our slight decline, he's now decided that Celtic are his team.

Glory-hunting wee bassa that he is :agree:

Basildon Hibs
28-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Never heard of this, I do have some good news to bring to this board though! I've managed to turn a tic fan and a hun into a pair of hibees :thumbsup:

'kin hell. What's your name, Merlin ?!!! :not worth

Sodje_18
28-05-2011, 01:23 AM
'kin hell. What's your name, Merlin ?!!! :not worth
How did you know my name? :greengrin
The weird thing is I managed to turn them both into hibees at around the same time (couple months ago) and they've both got their season tickets ordered for next season :thumbsup:

Pete
28-05-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm not frightened to admit that I came from what some might consider a "neutral" background...and from a relatively late age. I had one of those old school upbringings where I was taken to Easter Road one week then Tynecastle the next when I was young.

My Dad was a Hibby and he took me to my first game which was the league cup final in 1985. However, a family friend at the time was a Jambo and they used to go to Tynecstle regularly and offered to take me along...which my dad agreed to providing we went to the right areas.
From that time until about 1990 I went to both ER and Tynie to watch matches.
For me, that period was all about the experience of going to matches...not who was playing. The crowd, the colours, the chants...it was all great no matter where I was or who I was with.
My heroes weren't club related, they were the "greats" on show. Paul McStay, Davie Cooper, John Robertson, Mickey Weir and others stick in my mind from that time.

After that period I started getting into other things like music and drugs (which was the norm for a teenager in the early-mid nineties) and I couldn't have cared less about football. Being from deepest slateford 90% of my mates were Jambos and I sometimes used to go along to games with them. It wasn't really about the football then it was more about the social aspect. I'd say for every Hibs game I went to with my dad in the nineties I went to a hearts game with my mates. The fact the teams were from Edinburgh was enough for me.
I actually used to feel sorry for hearts back then. You have to remember that before 1998 the joke was on Hearts because they were the ones who had won nothing for 36 years. They were the "poor relation" even though this 22 in a row thing was happening.

The tipping point came when we got relegated and Hearts won the Scottish cup. I thought I would feel good for my true jambo mates seeing their faces after such a triumph but I felt empty and hollow. I'll admit I was in Gorgie indulging in 56p pints but I'll never forget my dads face when I came home that night. Tears were shed.
I felt guilty and dirty...as if I'd abandoned my wife in her time of need and I'd been cheating on her with a cheap prostitute for all those years.

Some people who haven't seen me since the mid nineties might point me out as a Jambo but I'm cool with that because I know what I'm all about. Looking back I might have been cheering for the team whos end I was in but during the derby there was only one team I really wanted to win...and that was the Hibs.
People might question my alliegiance to hibs by stating the fact that I went to hearts matches but I can turn round and say I've made an informed choice. However, the honest answer is that it isn't about personal choice.

When your dad plants a team in your heart when you're young there is no escaping...you'll always love them no matter what your footballing upbringing experiences are.

spike220
28-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I've got a mate in his early 20s, who, I kid you not, has supported four different SPL teams in the past 10 years.

He's from Livingston, so started off supporting Livi - I remember him taunting me at school after they beat us in THAT league cup final - but when things went downhill for them, he decided he was a Hearts fan. This was coincidentally when Burley was manager and they won the Champions League in front of a full house of 400,000.

He then decided that he was a Hibs fan and celebrated our 5-1 win over Killie in the league cup final.

However, following our slight decline, he's now decided that Celtic are his team.

I can imagine this type of guy being a crap mate too!

surreyhibbie
28-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Me too. Young cousin who was a Hun, went to Ibrox regularly etc. I started taking him to ER and he never looked back

Last I heard, he and now his two daughters were all still season ticket holders :thumbsup:

Hibernian Verse
28-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I used to play for Leith (92s) and there was a guy, who now ironically plays for Hibs, that switched from Hibs to Celtic. He quickly became known as Tina Turncoat. I think I was about 12.

Hiber-nation
28-05-2011, 09:27 PM

I know a guy from Livi who's supported them all as well, started with Livi and went back to them after spells supporting celtc, Hibs, hearts and Carlisle for some strange reason - he's about 30 though so it canny be him. The boy is totally bonkers.

Steve-O
28-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Heartfelt

Aidan Smith

It's pretty gash to be honest.

givescotlandfreedom
28-05-2011, 09:30 PM
It's pretty gash to be honest.

Aye I couldn't really relate to Aiden Smith and felt he slavered a hell of a lot.

Forza Fred
28-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I went to school with a guy who was a Hibs supporter, 'turned'briefly and now is a HIbs supporter andwho incidentlaly now also works for a newpaper often quoted on here.

However back in 64 (?)well before sir Alby Kidd's time, Hertz were playing Killie at Tynecastle, adn only really needed to avoid defeat by a 2-0 margin to take the title. It was in teh days of 'goal average' as opposed to goal difference' and everybody thóught they wee a nap to win the title.

Killie had other ideas and won 2-0.

That night at Old Meadowbank speedway, I bumped into my 'pal'who had a hearts scarf around his neck - he had turned into a glory hunter!

A stramash followed in which I attempted to take retribution for this act of treachery, but was stopped by smem older hertz supporters.

Dont speak to him these days, but I do believe he 'sisback to 'supporting'Hibs, and will in all probability deny such a thing ever happened.

But, we know.

Bayern Bru
28-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I know a guy from Livi who's supported them all as well, started with Livi and went back to them after spells supporting celtc, Hibs, hearts and Carlisle for some strange reason - he's about 30 though so it canny be him. The boy is totally bonkers.

Maybe it's a Livi thing. Either that or it's a set of brothers!

I can imagine this type of guy being a crap mate too!

Aye well, he is a bit of a welt! :greengrin