PDA

View Full Version : CC Interview - Raising Standards

PaulSmith
25-05-2011, 10:33 AM
On main site, worth a thread on its own:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110525/manager-on-raising-standards_2262950_2366388

leith_hibs
25-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Good luck to him.

But what he and we need is players for this season pulling that green and white shirt on, to have the passion of the fans, take responsibility for their performances, and win 75% of our games.

Anything less, then whats the point in these guys being at the club and playing football!

IanM
25-05-2011, 10:41 AM

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110525/manager-on-raising-standards_2262950_2366388

'ramp up the standards and make sure what was passable last year is not acceptable this year'

until i read that statement i was beginning to wonder if buying a ST was worth it - it's positive, i may start being positive too :greengrin- well apart from...

'we want to engage with the supporters because they've obviously got to feel the development and emotion of the team'

to listen to the full story - please subscribe to the online tv channel

why not 'engage' us by letting us listen to the whole interview for nothing?

Lucius Apuleius
25-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Good luck to him.

But what he and we need is players for this season pulling that green and white shirt on, to have the passion of the fans, take responsibility for their performances, and win 75% of our games.

Anything less, then whats the point in these guys being at the club and playing football!

Wow..... 85 points to start with!!!!! That would be something else!!!

leith_hibs
25-05-2011, 10:47 AM
'ramp up the standards and make sure what was passable last year is not acceptable this year'

until i read that statement i was beginning to wonder if buying a ST was worth it - it's positive, i may start being positive too :greengrin- well apart from...

'we want to engage with the supporters because they've obviously got to feel the development and emotion of the team'

spot on!! :thumbsup:

Leishy1995
25-05-2011, 10:48 AM
The last player with the passion of the fans was Nish, shame all the fans would have been better than him.

It's Hibs class we need.

leith_hibs
25-05-2011, 10:52 AM
The last player with the passion of the fans was Nish, shame all the fans would have been better than him.

It's Hibs class we need.

did he take responsibility of his performace - no, he was too inconsistant and should hv bn long gone before now!

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Was encouarged by this: -

"We are going to have to ramp up the standards and make sure what might've been passable last year is not acceptable this year. Improvement is strength, pace, experience, decision making - we are going to ramp the standards up."

But not so much by this: -

"If it all goes up by 1% it will make a massive difference to the effect of the team. It is about setting a standard that was higher than last year and it being unacceptable to fall below that."

I've criticised people in the past for heavily scrutinising Yogi's interviews so I'm not going to go over the top here, but that seems to be a strange signal to send out to the players, that a 1% improvement will be acceptable - 1% of hardly anything is really very little, we need a 100% improvement in all the areas that he's identified.

IMO one of Yogi's biggest mistakes was to state at Christmas 2009 when we were flying that "not many of this bunch won't be here next year", which resulted in a few players relaxing and taking their foot off the pedal.

Hainan Hibs
25-05-2011, 11:02 AM
"they've obviously got to feel the development and emotion of the team."

Emotion of the team :faf: .

Cracking yin Colin.

matty_f
25-05-2011, 11:05 AM
"they've obviously got to feel the development and emotion of the team."

Emotion of the team :faf: .

Cracking yin Colin.

I really wonder what the effin point in the club trying to do anything to engage with the fans is, when whenever they do it it gets ripped to bits.

I'd hate to have some of the fans Hibs appear to have.

KeithTheHibby
25-05-2011, 11:10 AM
What's the script with Vaz Te and Towell then?

CMac1988
25-05-2011, 11:26 AM
What's the script with Vaz Te and Towell then?

The same as before. The interview never really pushed on beyond what we already know.

Vaz Te may be in the mix depending on the outcome of his other interests as he is looking at a few other strikers.

Towell has returned to Celtic and the club has made enquiries but that's it.

Hardly "explains the future of Richie Towell and Ricardo Vaz Te."

Perhaps I missed something though as the sound quality was terrible.

The_Horde
25-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I really wonder what the effin point in the club trying to do anything to engage with the fans is, when whenever they do it it gets ripped to bits.

They can cut the talk and just 'engage' us by playing some f****** football, and with passion.

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 02:00 PM

"If it all goes up by 1% it will make a massive difference to the effect of the team. :confused:

If that's what we're striving to achieve then we're doomed.

greenlex
25-05-2011, 02:38 PM
"If it all goes up by 1% it will make a massive difference to the effect of the team. :confused:

I think what he means if every individual raises their game by even 1% then the team game is raised by a fair bit more. I am sure the target will be much more than 1%

Cropley10
25-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I think what he means if every individual raises their game by even 1% then the team game is raised by a fair bit more. I am sure the target will be much more than 1%

Would it be 11% or 1%??:confused:

Mikey
25-05-2011, 02:44 PM

They'd be as well saying nothing.

But then others would complain about the silence..........

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 02:47 PM

I'm not claiming to be Einstein but I think if 11 players each raise their game by 1% then the overall effect is still 1%. They all need to raise their game by 100%. No more no less.

1%. No thanks.

Sergio sledge
25-05-2011, 02:47 PM
;2812435']They can cut the talk and just 'engage' us by playing some f****** football, and with passion.

In the off season?

Beefster
25-05-2011, 02:48 PM

You may be right, Matty, but the club's initial engagement is mainly about getting us to pay even more so that they can subsequently engage with us fully.

The entire principle of Hibs TV is fine but for the stuff where Hibs are attempting to get a 'feel good' factor going and encourage ST sales, they need to lay off the 'pay now to hear the rest of our plans' stuff.

Peevemor
25-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm not claiming to be Einstein but I think if 11 players each raise their game by 1% then the overall effect is still 1%. They all need to raise their game by 100%. No more no less.

1%. No thanks.

But if they're currently only giving 1%, then a an increase of 1% represents a 100% improvement. :nerd:

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 02:52 PM
But if they're currently only giving 1%, then a an increase of 1% represents a 100% improvement. :nerd:

Of course. :greengrin

smurf
25-05-2011, 02:54 PM
They'd be as well saying nothing.

But then others would complain about the silence..........

Silence is what the majority of us are getting!

Saorsa
25-05-2011, 02:59 PM
ramp up the standards and make sure what was passable last year is not acceptable this yearI'd be interested tae know what he thought was passable last year, I never saw it any of it as remotely passable or acceptable.

Shouldnae be hard tae ramp it up though as it was one of the biggest piles of **** I've seen at ER in my 30+ years.

greenlex
25-05-2011, 03:00 PM

1%. No thanks.
So if for example the defence raised their game and cut out the costly stupid goals that cost us points by raising their game1% then the team only benefits the same?
Same goes for a striker scoring one more chance or a midfielder taking the right decision just once or twice in s game resulting in a goal for hibs or a blocked tacle instead of not doing it protecting the defence a bit better. Little things could make a huge difference at the end of a game/season

matty_f
25-05-2011, 03:01 PM
You may be right, Matty, but the club's initial engagement is mainly about getting us to pay even more so that they can subsequently engage with us fully.

The entire principle of Hibs TV is fine but for the stuff where Hibs are attempting to get a 'feel good' factor going and encourage ST sales, they need to lay off the 'pay now to hear the rest of our plans' stuff.

I don't see why they shouldn't offer more of the interview to people who make a financial contribution specifically to get access to content like that. This piece wasn't a unique one-off interview with the manager to whip up a frenzy, but rather a regular interview that is aired on hibs tv to subscribers. I think every player or manager interview that hibs tv do comes with a taster article on the main site.

matty_f
25-05-2011, 03:03 PM
So if for example the defence raised their game and cut out the costly stupid goals that cost us points by raising their game1% then the team only benefits the same?
Same goes for a striker scoring one more chance or a midfielder taking the right decision just once or twice in s game resulting in a goal for hibs or a blocked tacle instead of not doing it protecting the defence a bit better. Little things could make a huge difference at the end of a game/season

:agree: I think the principle is that the overall improvement is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Peevemor
25-05-2011, 03:07 PM
:agree: I think the principle is that the overall improvement is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Exactly. If they're only playing at 75% just now, the 1% improvement will equate to an effort of 110%.* :agree:

* a footballspeak thing.

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 03:07 PM
It's not rocket science. Make some decent signings and we'll all be happy (well some of us will) plus we might even be tempted to buy a season ticket.

Rod Petrie makes Arkwright (from Open All Hours) look like Rockafella.

Beefster
25-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't see why they shouldn't offer more of the interview to people who make a financial contribution specifically to get access to content like that. This piece wasn't a unique one-off interview with the manager to whip up a frenzy, but rather a regular interview that is aired on hibs tv to subscribers. I think every player or manager interview that hibs tv do comes with a taster article on the main site.

Well, if they're not giving out positive messages/interviews, as opposed to marketing bumf, specifically to encourage ST sales more fool them.

Saorsa
25-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't see why they shouldn't offer more of the interview to people who make a financial contribution specifically to get access to content like that. This piece wasn't a unique one-off interview with the manager to whip up a frenzy, but rather a regular interview that is aired on hibs tv to subscribers. I think every player or manager interview that hibs tv do comes with a taster article on the main site.I've made a contribution of over 400 quid, I think I should be entitled tae hear what the managers plans are for the team I have paid that amount tae watch, without being asked for even more. I'm not saying there shouldnae be exclusives for subscribers, my beef is the same one it's always been and that is what they consider should be exclusive. I'm no interested in chit-chat with players and most of the other stuff that they do but IMO everybody should be entitled tae hear what the manager has tae say about his plans for the team they are already paying a lot of money tae watch.

basehibby
25-05-2011, 03:13 PM

1%. No thanks.

I think we can dispense with the nit picking and agree that Calderwood's aim is improvement accross the board - I think the point he's making is that if every player improves their standards in all departments by even just a little bit then the cumulative effect on the team will be far greater.

Fair enough, his choice of figures is unfortunate - I'd certainly want a hell of a lot more than a 1% increase in points acrued for a start - but lets not tear him to bits for what is clearly meant to be a positive statement of intent for next season eh?!?

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 03:15 PM

I've just run those figures through my abacus and I'm still getting the same results.

Last week I bought 11 loaves of bread from Tesco at £1 each. This week I bought the same 11 loaves but the robbing barstewards hiked the price up to £1.10each.

Each loaf had gone up 10% but I didn't pay 110% more this week than last week for the 11 loaves. I still paid 10% overall.

Anyway I'm now shopping with Sainsbury. :aok:

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 03:17 PM
I think we can dispense with the nit picking and agree that Calderwood's aim is improvement accross the board - I think the point he's making is that if every player improves their standards in all departments by even just a little bit then the cumulative effect on the team will be far greater.

Fair enough, his choice of figures is unfortunate - I'd certainly want a hell of a lot more than a 1% increase in points acrued for a start - but lets not tear him to bits for what is clearly meant to be a positive statement of intent for next season eh?!?

:agree:

steakbake
25-05-2011, 03:29 PM
No, lets assume that each player gives 100%.

An extra percent each would make the team playing at the proverbial 110%.

I for one, back this initiative even though it shows a flagrant disregard for the fact that you cannot get more than 100%.

CropleyWasGod
25-05-2011, 03:31 PM
No, lets assume that each player gives 100%.

An extra percent each would make the team playing at the proverbial 110%.

I for one, back this initiative even though it shows a flagrant disregard for the fact that you cannot get more than 100%.

I'll be the first.... no it bloody wouldn't! :na na:

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 03:34 PM
I'll be the first.... no it bloody wouldn't! :na na:

I'll second that. :thumbsup:

steakbake
25-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll second that. :thumbsup:

On your bike.

This is how all big teams calculate their players' efforts.

101% times 11 is actually more than I thought. Its 1111%. Got to be pleased with that....

greenlex
25-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I've just run those figures through my abacus and I'm still getting the same results.

Last week I bought 11 loaves of bread from Tesco at £1 each. This week I bought the same 11 loaves but the robbing barstewards hiked the price up to £1.10each.

Each loaf had gone up 10% but I didn't pay 110% more this week than last week for the 11 loaves. I still paid 10% overall.

Anyway I'm now shopping with Sainsbury. :aok:

So you are off to Tynie then?

I think Calderwoods choice if 1% was done without thinking but more to emphasise the fact that a little improvement could have a bigger effect.
If we are still scrutinising every little thing the manager says to the nth degree we will eventually hound him out like the last two incumbents but bash on.

son of haggart
25-05-2011, 04:00 PM
So you are off to Tynie then?

I think Calderwoods choice if 1% was done without thinking but more to emphasise the fact that a little improvement could have a bigger effect.
If we are still scrutinising every little thing the manager says to the nth degree we will eventually hound him out like the last two incumbents but bash on.

Next year it will be scrutinised to the 1.01nth degree

Greentinted
25-05-2011, 04:28 PM
All the jargonised managerspeak can't conceal the bottom line that if you pay sub-standard money then the overall combined result will be a sub-standard team.
The old adage of paying peanuts to attract monkeys has never been so true.
Our custodians must decide if they want to be big players in a small league, or perrenial also-rans.

Sad as it may be, money talks and all the rest is just garnish.

BEEJ
25-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Perhaps he meant to say, or actually said but it's been missed in the reporting:

"If it all goes up by even 1% it will make a massive difference to the effect of the team."

Therefore the 1% is not a target in itself. Rather it's an indication (as someone has stated) that even marginal improvements can make a big difference.

In much the same way that missing just one word from a sentence can make a big difference to its meaning and interpretation. :rolleyes:

greenlex
25-05-2011, 04:48 PM
All the jargonised managerspeak can't conceal the bottom line that if you pay sub-standard money then the overall combined result will be a sub-standard team.
Our custodians must decide if they want to be big players in a small league, or perrenial also-rans.

They could also gamble and pay over the odds in an attempt to get third and a couple of cup runs. I think somewhere in the middle is where its at. We pay good money compared to all but three of our rivals two we will not catch short term. The other is a basket case and whatever anyone says will go pop eventually.
Our budget is our budget and spent wisely should be enough to see us up there without being stupid about it. Hearts for all their spending finished third but I think Dundee Utd were ahead of them in quality and performance.
We are not miles behind. With the right players in and manager to mould a team we will do it. The way folks are talking you think we were the worst paying club in the league by a mile and we had no ambition.

greenlex
25-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Your bits in bold sums the whole sad affair up.Why didn't he insist on higher standard and ramp them up then?The majority are likely to still be here.1%???? Hahaha.. That'll make us tenth again then..Unless the bottom two improve by between 2 and 5 percent. What a farce!

Maybe he did denand it was ramped up and it wasn't delivered. The majority won't be there next season no likely about it but let's keep on keeping on.

GreenPJ
25-05-2011, 05:17 PM

The saving grace must be that supply exceeds demand though. As everyone has been saying and has been evidenced already numerous clubs in both England and Scotland have been reducing down squad sizes. This leaves a surplus of players and ultimately hands the initiative back to the club's in terms of wages.

Admittedly the very good players will always demand a premium as they have numerous suiters but there will be more than monkeys left to choose from in the current climate.

Greentinted
25-05-2011, 05:19 PM
They could also gamble and pay over the odds in an attempt to get third and a couple of cup runs. I think somewhere in the middle is where its at. We pay good money compared to all but three of our rivals two we will not catch short term. The other is a basket case and whatever anyone says will go pop eventually.
Our budget is our budget and spent wisely should be enough to see us up there without being stupid about it. Hearts for all their spending finished third but I think Dundee Utd were ahead of them in quality and performance.
We are not miles behind. With the right players in and manager to mould a team we will do it. The way folks are talking you think we were the worst paying club in the league by a mile and we had no ambition.

Aye am with you here. Accruing a crippling debt is not what I advocate but just a wee bit more ambition (on the park) and some footballing nous shown by the coaching personnel would be nice. For a club of our size, we have been underachieving for too long. Fair enough the 2007 Cup win is in there but if next season delivers similar fayre to last then that will be 5 years of mediocrity.

Keith_M
25-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Next year it will be scrutinised to the 1.01nth degree

Wouldn't that actually be the 1.01st degree?

:dunno:

sleeping giant
25-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Wouldn't that actually be the 1.01st degree?

:dunno:

A oneth sounds right to me :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
25-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I can't believe some folk are doing the maths on CCs comments!

The message was clear enough to me, last season we were crap, he wants much better this year and he won't accept the same mistakes over and over again.

Thought it was a good positive interview and I feel more confident in CC now than I did before.

scoopyboy
25-05-2011, 06:58 PM

1%. No thanks.

It would depend if the eleven 1% are in series or in parallel.

Speedway
25-05-2011, 07:04 PM
It would depend if the eleven 1% are in series or in parallel.

What if the team could pay the 1% over 12 months with an early bird discount?

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2011, 07:22 PM
I've made a contribution of over 400 quid, I think I should be entitled tae hear what the managers plans are for the team I have paid that amount tae watch, without being asked for even more. I'm not saying there shouldnae be exclusives for subscribers, my beef is the same one it's always been and that is what they consider should be exclusive. I'm no interested in chit-chat with players and most of the other stuff that they do but IMO everybody should be entitled tae hear what the manager has tae say about his plans for the team they are already paying a lot of money tae watch.

Agree Dan, every season ticket holder should be given free access to Interactive as a perk to hear CC interviews etc....Should not be charged for the priviledge

Andy74
25-05-2011, 07:24 PM

We are what we are. The accounts show a loss. Where would you have the money come from?

Also, if it's just down to money why dud clubs with tiny budgets do so much better than us?

matty_f
25-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Agree Dan, every season ticket holder should be given free access to Interactive as a perk to hear CC interviews etc....Should not be charged for the priviledge

Disagree, you know what you're paying for when you get a season ticket. The club are transparent with what you're buying. They're separate things that you're buying. It's like saying for £400 I should expect to get the new strip, or a free tour, or to get to go to the AGM or whatever.

It costs the club money to produce the content, and that cost should rightly be carried by the subscribers who use it. I don't want my season ticket money diluted to fund Hibs TV, I want my season ticket money to go on the team. All of it.

stokesmessiah
25-05-2011, 07:34 PM

This.

Kaiser1962
25-05-2011, 07:37 PM
It's not rocket science. Make some decent signings and we'll all be happy (well some of us will) plus we might even be tempted to buy a season ticket.

Rod Petrie makes Arkwright (from Open All Hours) look like Rockafella.

Piece of piss. Makes you wonder why they dont eh. Must be a deliberate ploy to piss us off.

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Disagree, you know what you're paying for when you get a season ticket. The club are transparent with what you're buying. They're separate things that you're buying. It's like saying for £400 I should expect to get the new strip, or a free tour, or to get to go to the AGM or whatever.

It costs the club money to produce the content, and that cost should rightly be carried by the subscribers who use it. I don't want my season ticket money diluted to fund Hibs TV, I want my season ticket money to go on the team. All of it.

So as a paying customer we are only allowed to hear the managers soundbites unless we subscribe to Hibs TV? Surely enough subscribers who can't get to games whether overseas or whatever could help fund this initiative?

Greentinted
25-05-2011, 07:52 PM
We are what we are. The accounts show a loss. Where would you have the money come from?

Also, if it's just down to money why dud clubs with tiny budgets do so much better than us?

Money is always the bone of contention and I am as much in a quandry as the next man, but there is something badly wrong when we are finishing in the lower echelons of a piss poor league with the resources available (parsimonious or otherwise).
I would like to think that those with who have the money management skills at ER could display them in a more productive manner. Something is wrong somewhere and while I accept that we won't meaningfully spend when it comes to on-field matters and persist in selling our home-grown talent, I don't have to like it. We had a potentially league winning squad not so long ago but no, we sell to the OF? (And yes, I know this has been the case for a long time but again, I don't have to like nor endorse it)
I certainly dont suggest that going down the profligate path of Romanov is the answer but FFS, finishing 9th/10th/11th is, IMHO, unacceptable.

As for the other matter of 'lesser' clubs being able to demonstrate a more creative sleight of budget; well, perhaps our financial people are not as good as they would have us believe.

matty_f
25-05-2011, 07:56 PM
So as a paying customer we are only allowed to hear the managers soundbites unless we subscribe to Hibs TV? Surely enough subscribers who can't get to games whether overseas or whatever could help fund this initiative?

You're not a paying customer of Hibs TV though, so no. If you want to hear it in full, then the club offer that as a paid-for service.

When you buy your season ticket you know what it's paying for and you know it doesn't include hibs tv.

Saorsa
25-05-2011, 08:02 PM

It costs the club money to produce the content, and that cost should rightly be carried by the subscribers who use it. I don't want my season ticket money diluted to fund Hibs TV, I want my season ticket money to go on the team. All of it.I'm not interested in watching the video or any of the content of Hibs TV so there's nae need tae dilute anything, all I want tae is tae be able tae read it in full on the site. As far as I'm concerned either every fan that pays tae watch the team should be entitled tae know what the managers plans are for the team they are paying for or none should, it shouldnae be preserve of any group. The rest they can do what the **** they please with. If I'm not getting tae know what the managers plans for the team are after I've paid my money, maybe next time I'll wait and see before I bother parting with anything.

PC Stamp
25-05-2011, 08:04 PM

The subscribers who live overseas already pay a good deal more than your local HTV subscriber to fund the live coverage of the games they watch. Just out of curiosity do you have a compelling sales pitch to justify why they should also subsidise you to watch Hibernian TV when they already pay far more than UK based subscribers?

ancient hibee
25-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Money is always the bone of contention and I am as much in a quandry as the next man, but there is something badly wrong when we are finishing in the lower echelons of a piss poor league with the resources available (parsimonious or otherwise).
I would like to think that those with who have the money management skills at ER could display them in a more productive manner. Something is wrong somewhere and while I accept that we won't meaningfully spend when it comes to on-field matters and persist in selling our home-grown talent, I don't have to like it. We had a potentially league winning squad not so long ago but no, we sell to the OF? (And yes, I know this has been the case for a long time but again, I don't have to like nor endorse it)
I certainly dont suggest that going down the profligate path of Romanov is the answer but FFS, finishing 9th/10th/11th is, IMHO, unacceptable.

As for the other matter of 'lesser' clubs being able to demonstrate a more creative sleight of budget; well, perhaps our financial people are not as good as they would have us believe.
It is unacceptable-how many times have we finished 9th/10th/11th in the last six seasons-have we won any trophies in that time-how many other clubs outside the OF have won trophies in that time?

PC Stamp
25-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm not interested in watching the video or any of the content of Hibs TV so there's nae need tae dilute anything, all I want tae is tae be able tae read it in full on the site. As far as I'm concerned either every fan that pays tae watch the team should be entitled tae know what the managers plans are for the team they are paying for or none should, it shouldnae be preserve of any group. The rest they can do what the **** they please with. If I'm not getting tae know what the managers plans for the team are after I've paid my money, maybe next time I'll wait and see before I bother parting with anything.

So would you be happy for ST costs to be bumped up to cover the costs of Hibernian TV to make it freely available to all? Or would you be unhappy because then you were subsidising non ST holders who could also watch for free? As Matty says, it has to be paid for somehow.

Saorsa
25-05-2011, 08:09 PM
So would you be happy for ST costs to be bumped up to cover the costs of Hibernian TV to make it freely available to all? Or would you be unhappy because then you were subsidising non ST holders who could also watch for free? As Matty says, it has to be paid for somehow.I dinnae want tae watch Hibernian TV. I couldnae give a toss about Hibernian TV. I want tae read his thoughts on the site, how hard is that tae grasp? The managers plans for the team should not be exclusive tae anybody.

matty_f
25-05-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm not interested in watching the video or any of the content of Hibs TV so there's nae need tae dilute anything, all I want tae is tae be able tae read it in full on the site. As far as I'm concerned either every fan that pays tae watch the team should be entitled tae know what the managers plans are for the team they are paying for or none should, it shouldnae be preserve of any group. The rest they can do what the **** they please with. If I'm not getting tae know what the managers plans for the team are after I've paid my money, maybe next time I'll wait and see before I bother parting with anything.

It costs money to get the interviews onto the website as well. It has to get paid for from somewhere. Advertising on the site will cover a fraction of it, but again if it's taking money away from the playing pool, then I'd much rather it came from elsewhere.

Andy74
25-05-2011, 08:12 PM

I dont see how use if the money and then use of the resource is down to money men?

Surely more about the coaching?

marinello59
25-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I dinnae want tae watch Hibernian TV. I couldnae give a toss about Hibernian TV. I want tae read his thoughts on the site, how hard is that tae grasp? The managers plans for the team should not be exclusive tae anybody.

They're not. The press reports on it the next day. Pay a bit extra you hear it first. I have no problem with that. All it means is you can postpone ripping everthing he says to bits for a few hours. :greengrin

Greentinted
25-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I dont see how use if the money and then use of the resource is down to money men?

Surely more about the coaching?

Definitely.
But who appoints the coaching staff and how? Furthermore how much are they accepting wages wise?
I don't think we are too discordant on this but whatever way, its down to resources, and their availability.
I don't want miracles, I don't even want Hibs to be 'punching above their weight' but conversely I am a bit sick of watching other so-called smaller teams using us as a team to show how much they can punch above their weight.

Saorsa
25-05-2011, 08:30 PM
They're not. The press reports on it the next day. Pay a bit extra you hear it first. I have no problem with that. All it means is you can postpone ripping everthing he says to bits for a few hours. :greengrinI think I pay quite enough, it's just money, money money. Hibs had something in the region of 800 quid off me last season through one thing or another, I'm bloody sure they're no getting that again. After last seasons gash I've decided they've already had every penny they're getting off me for the coming season, the £405 I've already paid for my season ticket, they'll not get a brass razoo more. Another season like the last and they'll not get that either next time round.

PC Stamp
25-05-2011, 08:31 PM
They're not. The press reports on it the next day. Pay a bit extra you hear it first. I have no problem with that. All it means is you can postpone ripping everthing he says to bits for a few hours. :greengrin

Exactly. All the Hibs covering journos subscribe to Hibs TV and it then finds its way into the papers a day or two later.

Peevemor
25-05-2011, 08:47 PM

What's 2 as a percentage of 1?

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Exactly. All the Hibs covering journos subscribe to Hibs TV and it then finds its way into the papers a day or two later.

I go to every Hibs game so I dont see the value of paying for Interactive. Like Desperate Dan says every manager's interview should either be allowed to be seen to season ticket holders by getting a reference to access this part of site, or the FULL managers interview should be in written form on the official site....Would this cost any more money to do, not a lot I would have thought?

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2011, 08:50 PM
The subscribers who live overseas already pay a good deal more than your local HTV subscriber to fund the live coverage of the games they watch. Just out of curiosity do you have a compelling sales pitch to justify why they should also subsidise you to watch Hibernian TV when they already pay far more than UK based subscribers?

Well for a start Seaon Ticket sales money is used to bolster the playing squad, which the subscribers then watch on interactive TV? SO in effect the overseas payers are watching a team that season ticket money helps to produce

Andy74
25-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Definitely.
But who appoints the coaching staff and how? Furthermore how much are they accepting wages wise?
I don't think we are too discordant on this but whatever way, its down to resources, and their availability.
I don't want miracles, I don't even want Hibs to be 'punching above their weight' but conversely I am a bit sick of watching other so-called smaller teams using us as a team to show how much they can punch above their weight.

No, we are not discordant at all!

Greentinted
25-05-2011, 08:55 PM
No, we are not discordant at all!:greengrin

Kaiser1962
25-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Like who? And over how long are we measuring this?

Our budget is generally 5th largest and on most SPL stats we are fourth and in one case, third overall.

greenlex
25-05-2011, 09:23 PM

I am with Dan and Baldy on this. Surely the interview could be put on the clubs official website even in text form. Is it too much to ask that an interview with the manager is made available to fans? Are the club not interested in shifting season tickets after some words from the gaffer on his plans and aspirations? Do they really want us to buy a paper and put money in someone elses coffers rather get a hit on the official site. Poor show.

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2011, 09:30 PM
I am with Dan and Baldy on this. Surely the interview could be put on the clubs official website even in text form. Is it too much to ask that an interview with the manager is made available to fans? Are the club not interested in shifting season tickets after some words from the gaffer on his plans and aspirations? Do they really want us to buy a paper and put money in someone elses coffers rather get a hit on the official site. Poor show.

:agree::agree:

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I used to subscribe but dont bother these days, thats my loss. Its a bit like subscibing to sky, but not ESPN. You get the results, but not all the games.

IWasThere2016
25-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Jim44
25-05-2011, 10:15 PM
"We are going to have to ramp up the standards and make sure what might've been passable last year is not acceptable this year. Improvement is strength, pace, experience, decision making - we are going to ramp the standards up."

"If it all goes up by 1% it will make a massive difference to the effect of the team. It is about setting a standard that was higher than last year and it being unacceptable to fall below that."

:yawn::blah::blah::blah: I'm worried about our future. C'mon Calderwood, how about a bit of action.

steakbake
25-05-2011, 10:19 PM
What's 2 as a percentage of 1?

201%?

I'm lost - hobonomics.

BEEJ
25-05-2011, 10:21 PM
:yawn::blah::blah::blah: I'm worried about our future. C'mon Calderwood, how about a bit of action.
If, as has been suggested, CC is on annual leave then we'd be unwise to expect official news of new players for another week or two.

If any of the six players considering new contract offers elect to stay (or move on) we might hear about that.

steakbake
25-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Steady on. The season is barely cold in the memory and we're already seeing some folk getting edgy about the lack of action in the transfer market.

It'll be what it is, but it aint going to be anything right now.

Andy Bee
25-05-2011, 11:00 PM

:agree::agree: yup, I'm not a ST holder but for £30 odd quid a year I get to see more interviews than a season ticket holder, that isn't right no matter how the numbers stack up.

Beefster
26-05-2011, 07:10 AM

If it wasn't for the money that all the ST holders and walk-ups were paying, there wouldn't be a team for the overseas HTV subscribers to watch.

It's a two way street.

flash
26-05-2011, 07:11 AM
I think I pay quite enough, it's just money, money money. Hibs had something in the region of 800 quid off me last season through one thing or another, I'm bloody sure they're no getting that again. After last seasons gash I've decided they've already had every penny they're getting off me for the coming season, the £405 I've already paid for my season ticket, they'll not get a brass razoo more. Another season like the last and they'll not get that either next time round.

:dummytit:

marinello59
26-05-2011, 07:12 AM
:agree::agree: yup, I'm not a ST holder but for £30 odd quid a year I get to see more interviews than a season ticket holder, that isn't right no matter how the numbers stack up.

HibsTV has to raises much needed revenue for the club though doesn't it? Without 'exclusive' content is would be a tough sell. What the club should perhaps do in the future is include it in the season ticket package. That couldn't be done without increasing prices further though, imagine how that would have gone down. Perhaps including it in season tickets with an opt out option for a cheaper season ticket is the way forward?

Beefster
26-05-2011, 07:20 AM
HibsTV has to raises much needed revenue for the club though doesn't it? Without 'exclusive' content is would be a tough sell. What the club should perhaps do in the future is include it in the season ticket package. That couldn't be done without increasing prices further though, imagine how that would have gone down. Perhaps including it in season tickets with an opt out option for a cheaper season ticket is the way forward?

As others have said, I don't want HTV. I've no interest in reading the latest inane chat from Stevenson or Hanlon. I do, however, want to hear/read when the manager is speaking about what he plans to do with the money that we're giving him.

The entire 'free HTV' is a complete red herring. It's about releasing certain information to all supporters. When the Board issue one of their announcements during a period of criticism towards them, they don't say "Rodders answers the fans' criticisms, buy HTV now to read the exclusive chat". They put it straight on the website. That's what some of us want with important manager interviews. Not the run of the mill "Derek is feeling his groin today" stuff, just the "This is what I'm planning to do with all the lovely ST cash...." type stuff.

marinello59
26-05-2011, 07:42 AM
As others have said, I don't want HTV. I've no interest in reading the latest inane chat from Stevenson or Hanlon. I do, however, want to hear/read when the manager is speaking about what he plans to do with the money that we're giving him.

You don't want HTV apart from the bits you want to see then? I don't want Sky Sports either. Apart from the few matches I want to watch. It just isn't fair is it?
Anything the manager says on HTV is reported in the press so how do we miss out exactly?

Jim44
26-05-2011, 07:46 AM
If, as has been suggested, CC is on annual leave then we'd be unwise to expect official news of new players for another week or two.

If any of the six players considering new contract offers elect to stay (or move on) we might hear about that.

FJK seems to be having some success in the transfer market from his lilo. :greengrin

BEEJ
26-05-2011, 07:49 AM
FJK seems to be having some success in the transfer market from his lilo. :greengrin
But that's not the way our club usually conducts its business.

:wink:

Baker9
26-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Absolutely.:top marks If you are reading this thread and have the authority, give everyone free access to the interview. Consider it a taster for getting people to sign up. I suspect that those who have access to all of CC's interviews will have developed a brighter view of the future than those who have not. Free access as soon as possible!

Beefster
26-05-2011, 08:07 AM
You don't want HTV apart from the bits you want to see then? I don't want Sky Sports either. Apart from the few matches I want to watch. It just isn't fair is it?
Anything the manager says on HTV is reported in the press so how do we miss out exactly?

It's not really a 'pick and choose' strategy though, is it? It's wanting our club to communicate the important stuff to us - HTV doesn't have to be involved at any level.

I agree though that "if you want to know what's going on at your club, don't read the official website, go to the Evening News in a day or two" just about sums up the club's communication policy.

marinello59
26-05-2011, 08:38 AM
It's not really a 'pick and choose' strategy though, is it? It's wanting our club to communicate the important stuff to us - HTV doesn't have to be involved at any level.

Of course it's a pick and choose strategy. You can choose whether to buy a match day programme or not. if you don't you miss out on the managers thoughts on the last game and his thoughts on the game you are about to watch. Most of us probably choose to buy a newspaper at some point simply to get the latest on Hibs. Or you can choose to pay 80 pence a week or whatever it is for HTV to get some early 'insight' from Easter Road.
What important stuff do you really think we miss out on? The skeleton of the interview has been given on the official site. Do you really think there will be any real meat on the bones of that at this point. When Ivan signed with us it appeared on the official site. When Derek Adams left it appeared on the official site. Any new recruits will be announced on the official site. You know, the important stuff.

Beefster
26-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Of course it's a pick and choose strategy. You can choose whether to buy a match day programme or not. if you don't you miss out on the managers thoughts on the last game and his thoughts on the game you are about to watch. Most of us probably choose to buy a newspaper at some point simply to get the latest on Hibs. Or you can choose to pay 80 pence a week or whatever it is for HTV to get some early 'insight' from Easter Road.
What important stuff do you really think we miss out on? The skeleton of the interview has been given on the official site. Do you really think there will be any real meat on the bones of that at this point. When Ivan signed with us it appeared on the official site. When Derek Adams left it appeared on the official site. Any new recruits will be announced on the official site. You know, the important stuff.

Strategy and future plans are more important than the stuff you mention, to me anyway.

If a 14 minute interview is condensed to six sentences and that covers it, credit to Calderwood for being able to pad it out for so long.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree because we'll be going in circles soon. Supporter morale is low, ST sales will likely be 'sluggish', supporters feel more disconnected to the team and club than for a long time and we have just had our worst season for about 7 years. If the Board are happy for the club to restrict how they communicate with the customers, it'll be to the ultimate detriment of the club we all love.

marinello59
26-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Anyway, let's agree to disagree because we'll be going in circles soon.

Good point. :greengrin

Saorsa
26-05-2011, 09:12 AM
:dummytit:What a well though out response, pretty typical of this message board these days. Another boring prick for the ignore list. http://cur.cursors-4u.net/smilies/images1/smi37.gif

:bye:

greenlex
26-05-2011, 09:29 AM
The newspapers either get the paper sold or get a hit on their website. Hibs get nothing and fans get the full information if they are willing to pay more for the privilege. As an advertising revenue stream the club website would get more hits and everyone would win. Hibs are missing a trick. You can add the two comments on here that after hearing the manager they are more confident in where we are going so if that coverts to season tickets its a no brainer for the club. I dont understand ths thinking to be honest.
As said elsewhere we don't want the stuff that is run of the mill that others pay to get but what the manager is saying about strategy aspirations etc should be out there in text form on the web site.
No interest in HTV since it went all "professional" as it isn't a patch on what it was when our own did it IMHO.

blackpoolhibs
26-05-2011, 09:40 AM
The newspapers either get the paper sold or get a hit on their website. Hibs get nothing and fans get the full information if they are willing to pay more for the privilege. As an advertising revenue stream the club website would get more hits and everyone would win. Hibs are missing a trick. You can add the two comments on here that after hearing the manager they are more confident in where we are going so if that coverts to season tickets its a no brainer for the club. I dont understand ths thinking to be honest.
As said elsewhere we don't want the stuff that is run of the mill that others pay to get but what the manager is saying about strategy aspirations etc should be out there in text form on the web site.
No interest in HTV since it went all "professional" as it isn't a patch on what it was when our own did it IMHO.

I cant agree enough with the bit in bold.:agree:

dangermouse
26-05-2011, 09:58 AM
The message is crystal clear to me.Last season the results and application weren't acceptable.Why didn't he show his worth at that time by effecting a change?If he couldn't do it then,what gives anyone the idea he can do it next season? Almost everything currently and historically points to nothing changing.Even the most optimistic among us would have difficulty making an argument I'm his favour!

:yawn:

PC Stamp
26-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Well for a start Seaon Ticket sales money is used to bolster the playing squad, which the subscribers then watch on interactive TV? SO in effect the overseas payers are watching a team that season ticket money helps to produce

If it wasn't for the money that all the ST holders and walk-ups were paying, there wouldn't be a team for the overseas HTV subscribers to watch.

It's a two way street.

And if overseas subscribers buying a HTV Season Ticket also contribute something towards funding the team on the park then where does this argument go? Or do we think they should pay the same for a season ticket as someone who can watch live from the stands at Easter Rd?

leith_hibs
26-05-2011, 10:38 AM
And if overseas subscribers buying a HTV Season Ticket also contribute something towards funding the team on the park then where does this argument go? Or do we think they should pay the same for a season ticket as someone who can watch live from the stands at Easter Rd?

The money they recieve through subscriptions to HTV will go to the running costs of HTV and not the team, this will help them in future adventures such as HTV on Sky and Virgin like Man U, Chelsea.

flash
26-05-2011, 11:21 AM
What a well though out response, pretty typical of this message board these days. Another boring prick for the ignore list. http://cur.cursors-4u.net/smilies/images1/smi37.gif

:bye:

Just in case you have forgot to ignore me. The response was exactly what you deserved for your wee hissy fit.

i won't lower myself to respond to the name calling.

Beefster
26-05-2011, 11:34 AM

You said they were paying extra to fund the coverage and broadcast of the games. I would, honestly, be very surprised if HTV contributed very much, if anything, to the team.

Anyway, this is taking the argument into dead ends. The fact remains that without ST holders and walk-ups, there is no Hibs. Yet Hibs continue to restrict important communication with them unless they pay even more.

And we're not talking about chats with players, the manager's thoughts on the last / upcoming game etc etc etc which most folk over the age of 14 don't really care about. We're talking about planning and strategy that all supporters should care about.

Andy Bee
26-05-2011, 12:18 PM
You said they were paying extra to fund the coverage and broadcast of the games. I would, honestly, be very surprised if HTV contributed very much, if anything, to the team.

Anyway, this is taking the argument into dead ends. The fact remains that without ST holders and walk-ups, there is no Hibs. Yet Hibs continue to restrict important communication with them unless they pay even more.

And we're not talking about chats with players, the manager's thoughts on the last / upcoming game etc etc etc which most folk over the age of 14 don't really care about. We're talking about planning and strategy that all supporters should care about.

Apart from the interview with Ross Caldwell after the EOS Shield victory at Tynecastle, that's an absolute cracker :agree:

silverhibee
26-05-2011, 12:59 PM
As others have said, I don't want HTV. I've no interest in reading the latest inane chat from Stevenson or Hanlon. I do, however, want to hear/read when the manager is speaking about what he plans to do with the money that we're giving him. The entire 'free HTV' is a complete red herring. It's about releasing certain information to all supporters. When the Board issue one of their announcements during a period of criticism towards them, they don't say "Rodders answers the fans' criticisms, buy HTV now to read the exclusive chat". They put it straight on the website. That's what some of us want with important manager interviews. Not the run of the mill "Derek is feeling his groin today" stuff, just the "This is what I'm planning to do with all the lovely ST cash...." type stuff.

Spot on Beefster, considering that ST holders probaly put the biggest amount of money in to the club each year to put the players on the park, then the least wee can expect is to hear what the mangers plans are when it comes to spending our hard earned cash, it would be a nice gesture to keep us fans up to date with what the manager is saying and planning for the new season ahead. :aok:

silverhibee
26-05-2011, 01:04 PM

And has it been reported in the press yet what the manager has said, maybe i have just missed it but haven't seen it anywhere yet.

PC Stamp
26-05-2011, 01:32 PM
The money they recieve through subscriptions to HTV will go to the running costs of HTV and not the team, this will help them in future adventures such as HTV on Sky and Virgin like Man U, Chelsea.

Shhhhh! How do you know about that? :tsk tsk: :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
26-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Spot on Beefster:top marks

Baker9
26-05-2011, 02:02 PM

You can see the whites of his eyes on HTV, and his expressions. Over the months he has built up credibilty through these interviews and his key support on site possibly comes from those who have followed the interviews and can judge his sincerity. The less enthusiastic might be swayed by seeing them.

Lucius Apuleius
26-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Its the poor season ticket holders without internet access I feel sorry for. How the hell will they get the info?

The Falcon
26-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey...

Why dont the club give us HTV for nothing, give us season tickets for nothing, pay our petrol to the away games (and pay us in) AND be home in time to make our tea! Now thats what the club would be doing if they actually gave a **** about us.

*******s :devil:

dangermouse
26-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey...

Why dont the club give us HTV for nothing, give us season tickets for nothing, pay our petrol to the away games (and pay us in) AND be home in time to make our tea! Now thats what the club would be doing if they actually gave a **** about us.

*******s :devil:

You forgot about them buying the pre and post match pints as well.

Rasta_Hibs
26-05-2011, 03:37 PM
You forgot about them buying the pre and post match pints as well.

Do we not get a pie aswell like? :confused:

dangermouse
26-05-2011, 03:49 PM

This is turning into a "What did Hibs ever do for us" type thread. :greengrin

Kaiser1962
26-05-2011, 03:59 PM

I'm not alllowed pies anymore. Just now.

Speedway
26-05-2011, 04:20 PM

I blame Cliff for leaving.

Saorsa
26-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey...

*******s :devil:Free HTV? who wants that like? What is being questioned here is the content and what is being kept as exclusive. I cannae believe that anybody thinks that somebody who pays a £40 subscription (a good part of which probably goes tae cover the cost of that service) is more entitled tae know what the managers plans are for the team than somebody who pays over £400. Still if that's how it is maybe next season I'll give them their £40 subscription

and keep the other £370 in my pocket. See how that fits in with their economics.

Kaiser1962
26-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Free HTV? who wants that like? What is being question here is the content and what is being kept as exclusive. I cannae believe that anybody thinks that somebody who pays a £40 subscription (a good part of which probably goes tae cover the cost of that service) is more entitled tae know what the managers plans are for the team than somebody who pays over £400. Still if that's how it is maybe next season I'll give them their £40 subscription

and keep the other £370 in my pocket. See how that fits in with their economics.

You do that. That'll teach them.

Baldy Foghorn
26-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Free HTV? who wants that like? What is being question here is the content and what is being kept as exclusive. I cannae believe that anybody thinks that somebody who pays a £40 subscription (a good part of which probably goes tae cover the cost of that service) is more entitled tae know what the managers plans are for the team than somebody who pays over £400. Still if that's how it is maybe next season I'll give them their £40 subscription

In a nutshell Dan.....:top marks

Captain Trips
26-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Indeed it is unacceptable to fall below the standard of last season as he says but that in itself is not enough, it IMO is unacceptable to fall below the standards of 3td/4th place. Last season is not a bar to set for acceptability, Hibs were well below what is acceptable last term.

CC the setting of standards has to be 4th or above anything less than that is unacceptable.

Pedantic_Hibee
26-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I've not got a season ticket or an HTV subscription and I couldn't give two f***s what Calderwood says in an interview regardless if I'd paid for either or both.

Soundbites mean very little from HFC these days, we've heard all the rhetoric before (although for what it's worth, CC speaks a lot of sense). I want success on the park, not a well delivered answer on an official website.

ArabHibee
26-05-2011, 08:18 PM

I blame Cliff for leaving.

:agree: So do I. :flag: