PDA

View Full Version : That Rangers thing on the BBC

Jones28
25-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Anybody else watch this?

Thought it was excellent in all honesty, really clever and different insight into football players.

khib70
25-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Anybody else watch this?

Thought it was excellent in all honesty, really clever and different insight into football players.
:agree: Very insightful record of the cruel ups and downs of football and the effect on young guys and their dreams. Daryl Duffy came across particularly well, I thought.

The Hun family whose male members (see what I did there?) all crammed into a manky caravan to watch the game, admitting the female of the species only to bring their beer and sarnies were hilarious.

Beefster
25-05-2011, 09:46 AM
:agree: Very insightful record of the cruel ups and downs of football and the effect on young guys and their dreams. Daryl Duffy came across particularly well, I thought.

The Hun family whose male members (see what I did there?) all crammed into a manky caravan to watch the game, admitting the female of the species only to bring their beer and sarnies were hilarious.

He did indeed. I felt slightly guilty for wanting Hibs to not offer him a contract.

Spike Mandela
25-05-2011, 09:57 AM
He did indeed. I felt slightly guilty for wanting Hibs to not offer him a contract.

Highlights the tough job a coach has when having to tell a decent bloke that it hasn't worked out for him and he's getting released.

It's much easier to do from a keyboard on a messageboard.:greengrin

Andy74
25-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I scored against that keeper Calum at Stirling Albion a couple of weeks ago. He obviously has no future in the game!

JimBHibees
25-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I scored against that keeper Calum at Stirling Albion a couple of weeks ago. He obviously has no future in the game!

Was that after he had his face smashed in. :greengrin

Thought it was a good programme was amazed they all seemed to be married with kids. Assuming they are all around 23 or 24 (just noticed most are between 25 and 27 so obviously got ages wrong). I thought DD came over well and think there was a marked difference in the kids who stayed in Scotland and ones that had moved elsewhere I appreciate some have had more scope to do this than others.

Also thought the Dutch youth coach spoke alot of sense with regard to the football club only being interested in the football side rather than the whole person which I am assuming he was talking about education and financial advice.

Andy74
25-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Thought it was a good programme was amazed they all seemed to be married with kids. Assuming they are all around 23 or 24 (just noticed most are between 25 and 27 so obviously got ages wrong). I thought DD came over well and think there was a marked difference in the kids who stayed in Scotland and ones that had moved elsewhere I appreciate some have had more scope to do this than others.

Also thought the Dutch youth coach spoke alot of sense with regard to the football club only being interested in the football side rather than the whole person which I am assuming he was talking about education and financial advice.

Aye, even with it being about the Huns it was a good programme and at least this one focused on the individuals. I'd forgotten Duffy was even there!

Sammy7nil
25-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Highlights the tough job a coach has when having to tell a decent bloke that it hasn't worked out for him and he's getting released.

Our ex assistant said he had NO Issues in telling players to GTF

erin go bragh
25-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Was that no the scheme:confused: :wink:
ggtth

Jones28
25-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Was that no the scheme:confused: :wink:
ggtth

:hmmm:

Very possible...
:greengrin

Jones28
25-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Also found myself nodding in agreement with EVERYTHING the ex Rangers youth coach (now at Galatasary -sp) had to say.

He was spot on about letting kids get on with it and developing their own game

IWasThere2016
25-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Anybody else watch this?

:agree: Good viewing.

Hibee87
25-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Thought this bit was very interesting how they said that academics came second/not atall.

got me thinking thoguh, I wonder if hibs could take note of this and have a school type system in place at east mains where players between a certian age train with hibs but also put them through their exams teach them about the value of money and how to cope with disapointment if not making and have them ready as much as possible for life outside football. Could be a good scheme to get young players at hibs, teach them football and other life skills looks as though a few of the young boys at rangers heads were filled with expectaions of being pro and nothing else mattered.

also got me thinking/laughing where it said that murray park was this amzingf place that the top players in scotland would all come from and TBh i cant think of many players who have come through rangers youth and made any sort of impact. Wonder if hibs could do a programme similar with east mains and the boys who are there now and follow them in 10 years. with our track record of giving youth a chance could be interesting and also open up young people minds to choose hibs over there boyhood team i.e celtic rangers or even down south and come to hibs as they know that there is a good chance of getting a game.

think hibs could be missing a trick with this one

12AlbionPlace
25-05-2011, 12:20 PM
In Daryl Duffy's case it struck me he's been really unlucky with injuries and change of managers.

Hope the guy gets a break with his next move.

allezsauzee
25-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Just caught the end of it and saw that Chris Burke is a free agent. I'd love to see us show a bit of ambition and get him signed up.

Cropley10
25-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Thought this bit was very interesting how they said that academics came second/not atall.

got me thinking thoguh, I wonder if hibs could take note of this and have a school type system in place at east mains where players between a certian age train with hibs but also put them through their exams teach them about the value of money and how to cope with disapointment if not making and have them ready as much as possible for life outside football. Could be a good scheme to get young players at hibs, teach them football and other life skills looks as though a few of the young boys at rangers heads were filled with expectaions of being pro and nothing else mattered.

also got me thinking/laughing where it said that murray park was this amzingf place that the top players in scotland would all come from and TBh i cant think of many players who have come through rangers youth and made any sort of impact. Wonder if hibs could do a programme similar with east mains and the boys who are there now and follow them in 10 years. with our track record of giving youth a chance could be interesting and also open up young people minds to choose hibs over there boyhood team i.e celtic rangers or even down south and come to hibs as they know that there is a good chance of getting a game.

:agree: Celtc have one of their teenage sides who are all now at the same High School.

The SFA have arranged for some of the top U13 players (next season) to all attend Broughton High in Edinburgh at S1.

This is the way forward - football before school - school - then football after. Don't behave/complete school work = no football. No fetching and carrying for parents either. Yes you might have to travel some distance to get to school, but that's got to be easier than getting to East Mains!

greenlex
25-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Dunno about school age kids G.but I an sure Hibs have some tie up with Queen Margaret College for the Yoofs.

jdships
25-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Sorry but Coaches are like business men it doesn't really bother them - they couldn't allow it to !!!
I went through just that in 1952 age 20 after two year contract .
"Sorry but we don't think you are improving enough to make it with this club" was about the strength of it .
No apology or regret.
It was just a case of " clear your locker take your gear your fired " !!!

In reality I believe only some 2% of all youngsters signed up before 18 ever make it

Excellent programme , very tastefully presented

:greengrin

Gala Foxes
25-05-2011, 07:40 PM
quality TV, really good insight in to how tough it is for kids to make the grade

Sir David Gray
25-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Thought it was a really interesting programme. Highlighting the highs i.e. Chris Burke and Charlie Adam and the lows i.e. the boy that now works at Asda and everything in between.

Hopefully all young boys about 13 or 14 who are currently on the books of SPL clubs watched this programme to give them a bit of an eye opener to realise how much it takes to be a professional footballer and to plan for life outside football if their career doesn't go to plan.

Did I hear Darryl Duffy right when he said his son is called Gracen? :confused:

Greentinted
25-05-2011, 09:07 PM
BBC iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011qj5f/Blue_Heaven_Where_are_they_now/)

Worth a wee look.

Jonnyboy
25-05-2011, 09:41 PM
In Daryl Duffy's case it struck me he's been really unlucky with injuries and change of managers.

Hope the guy gets a break with his next move.

An unfortunate turn of phrase :greengrin

IWasThere2016
25-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Thought it was a really interesting programme. Highlighting the highs i.e. Chris Burke and Charlie Adam and the lows i.e. the boy that now works at Asda and everything in between.

Hopefully all young boys about 13 or 14 who are currently on the books of SPL clubs watched this programme to give them a bit of an eye opener to realise how much it takes to be a professional footballer and to plan for life outside football if their career doesn't go to plan.

Did I hear Darryl Duffy right when he said his son is called Gracen? :confused:

Aye - I was assuming it was Grayson.

Sir David Gray
25-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Aye - I was assuming it was Grayson.

Oh right, cheers.

Still a shame for the wee chap.

Apologies to any parents out there who have called their son Grayson/Gracen or any other similar name. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
25-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh right, cheers.

Still a shame for the wee chap.

Apologies to any parents out there who have called their son Grayson/Gracen or any other similar name. :greengrin

Aye nae need - he'll get G(r)ayson at school.

Jones28
26-05-2011, 08:38 AM
An unfortunate turn of phrase :greengrin

:tee hee:

lucky
26-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Excellent program. Showed how difficult it is to make it in football. But also showed Scotland is decades behind other countries in developing players and young people. The attitude of all the young players was excellent it also shows how hard it is for hibs to compete not only at youth level but to try and get players who can challenge the old firm.