PDA

View Full Version : Yams Yams will today rock SPL rivals!!!!!!!!!!

iwasthere1972
24-05-2011, 11:52 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3599004/4-of-Hearts.html

Yes I know it's the Sun but you would think they were signing Messi, Ronaldo, Fabregas and Tevez.

We must have been after them all but changed our minds. :wink:

Dunbar Hibee
25-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Sutton is a good capture for them tbh....

SteveHFC
25-05-2011, 12:08 AM
How can Hearts afford to buy Sutton

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Who can Hearts afford to buy Sutton

Freebie. They all are.

MrSmith
25-05-2011, 12:18 AM
P!sses me off a great deal! Up to their necks in debt and still paying out wages way above the going rate - its tantamount to cheating in my book!

Jealous I may well be in the eyes of the jumbos, however, how can they be allowed to do this when the accountants won't even sign their accounts off!?

Liam_Hibs
25-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Let them have their fun while it lasts. They can't pay crazy wages forever. :wink:

£7 million debt a year to finish in 3rd place sounds dire to me, but they seem to be rather happy!

Sir David Gray
25-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Not too fussed about them signing the other three but I'll be really annoyed if they sign Sutton.

It is The Sun, though...

KWJ
25-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Would have liked Sutton, Hamill and Taouil.

Is there not some UEFA turnover rule they need to pass to play in Europa?

500miles
25-05-2011, 05:30 AM
The only one there I would have really really liked to see in a Hibs shirt is Hammill. Sutton had a good season, but he's 27, so that may well be all it is. When laddies are 21, 22 and scoring like that straight away, I always feel there is greater chance of them repeating the feat consistantly.
Taouil goes missing a lot, and is often injured.
Diamond has been poor for some time.
Grainger may not even get a game, and is no improvement on Wallace.

I'll sleep fine....actually no, better get up for work!

scoopyboy
25-05-2011, 05:54 AM
The only one there I would have really really liked to see in a Hibs shirt is Hammill. Sutton had a good season, but he's 27, so that may well be all it is. When laddies are 21, 22 and scoring like that straight away, I always feel there is greater chance of them repeating the feat consistantly.
Taouil goes missing a lot, and is often injured.
Diamond has been poor for some time.
Grainger may not even get a game, and is no improvement on Wallace.

I'll sleep fine....actually no, better get up for work!

Grainger is signing cos Wallace is away, direct replacement.

Diamond no better than what they already have.

Hammill good steady player but not sensational.

Sutton has had a good season but not the player to turn them into much better than they were this season, Kyle is finished.

Barney McGrew
25-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Sutton and Hammill will be decent signings, Grainger is distinctly average and Diamond is a ****ing bombscare.

Kaiser1962
25-05-2011, 06:08 AM
P!sses me off a great deal! Up to their necks in debt and still paying out wages way above the going rate - its tantamount to cheating in my book!

Jealous I may well be in the eyes of the jumbos, however, how can they be allowed to do this when the accountants won't even sign their accounts off!?

It's exactly that. Somebody will be paying for this but it wont be the Pink People.

Mind you their track record of making great signings is not good. The sheep are pissing themselves at Hearts signing diamond. Whats' Darren Barr doing? Whay are they signing a left back when they have the world's best already there?

Hibernia Na Eir
25-05-2011, 06:34 AM

let them fall. When uncle vlad dies his family will have nothin to do with this country, nevermind that lot. But ive a feelin it will all go pearshaped for them before that joyous day

bandylegs_jLeighton
25-05-2011, 06:41 AM
I don't think any one of those players will improve their strongest eleven from last season.
Better squad yes (although thats debatable if Kyle and Wallace go). Better first eleven no.

Danderhall Hibs
25-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Decent signings - especially if they get Taouil as well.

No point bleating about what they can and can't afford - it doesn't look like it's going to stop so we'll just have to get on with it.

Duffys13
25-05-2011, 06:47 AM

No point bleating about what they can and can't afford - it doesn't look like it's going to stop so we'll just have to get on with it.

Hate to say but I agree, we would be happy with all of these apart from Diamond. The debt crisis seems a long way off yet I'm afraid.

matty_f
25-05-2011, 07:00 AM

:agree:

Springbank
25-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Hearts' approach to finance?

"My name is Vladimir Romanov and I am an alcoholic. I still drink beer of course, it's just the hard stuff I have a real problem with"

The_Todd
25-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Agree, we should just admit these are fairly decent signings but before getting unduly stressed let's see who they get rid of too.

Either way we have our own worries anyway.

Hibby Kay-Yay
25-05-2011, 07:27 AM
I wonder who they regard as "their SPL rivals"? If it's the other 9 clubs then fair do's, if it's the OF then nothing to worry about.

With the chat of them looking at moving to grow and challenge not just domestically but on a European level then these signings don't support that ambition. IMO

sunshine1875
25-05-2011, 07:39 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3599004/4-of-Hearts.html

Yes I know it's the Sun but you would think they were signing Messi, Ronaldo, Fabregas and Tevez.

We must have been after them all but changed our minds. :wink:

Totally utter single fish!

It is that time of the year that Hertz roll out the usual stories "we are going to sign XYZ" when ticket sales are going slow only for that 'technical hitch' to occur.

sunshine1875
25-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Totally utter single fish!

It is that time of the year that Hertz roll out the usual stories "we are going to sign XYZ" when ticket sales are going slow only for that 'technical hitch' to occur.

Sorry, I should have added!

Grainger - signed from a bottom six club with hardly any of the top clubs after him
Hamill - plays for a team that usually is in the bottom six, had a good season due to Mixu/Erm.......... with hardly any of the top clubs after him
Diamond - signed from a bottom six club with hardly any of the top clubs after him
Sutton - scores goals in a poor league, I admit!
Taoul - looks good against Hibs, but plays for a team that usually is in the bottom six and with hardly any of the top clubs after him.

I am quaking in my boots, I tell you. Yes, it may make them stronger, but it is what Hibs do is more of interest to me.

.Sean.
25-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Diamond is poor and I can't say Grainger has ever stood out when i've seen him, same applies to Hammill. Sutton on the other hand is a very good signing for them unfortaunately.

hibsbollah
25-05-2011, 07:57 AM
They look excellent bets for 3rd again this year, unfortunately.

CRAZYHIBBY
25-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Face facts hearts can pay higher wages than us and can obviously afford to do so. If you take into consideration their 3rd place money and their pending euro cup adventure they will have at least a couple of million to cover any fees and wages of the said players. I actually respect the fact that hearts are building and making their team stonger. Hibs on the other hand continue to weaken themselves by selling their best players and general lack of ambition.

Jones28
25-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Like it or not Hearts are going to pay higher wages than Hibs, regardless of whether or not they can afford it, and people who think this is cheating are 100% correct, it is. Or it should be.

Hamill was always going to join Hearts if he had the choice. Would have liked to see him at Hibs though

Diamond is awful, we are better with Dickoh. They'll be paying astronomical wages for him too.

Grainger: no opinion, not seen him play much

Sutton is a great signing unfortunately. No one can argue with 17 goals a season, even if he is getting older.

Taoul is class, when he's on the pitch. Injured alot

If this is the kind of signing Hearts are making then surely we can be making signings of similar quality? Adam Rooney, another striker, a midfielder and a centre back :flag:

Iain G
25-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Sorry, I should have added!

Grainger - signed from a bottom six club with hardly any of the top clubs after him
Hamill - plays for a team that usually is in the bottom six, had a good season due to Mixu/Erm.......... with hardly any of the top clubs after him
Diamond - signed from a bottom six club with hardly any of the top clubs after him
Sutton - scores goals in a poor league, I admit!
Taoul - looks good against Hibs, but plays for a team that usually is in the bottom six and with hardly any of the top clubs after him.

I am quaking in my boots, I tell you. Yes, it may make them stronger, but it is what Hibs do is more of interest to me.

I have mor confidence in Calderwood and his good contacts from England than Jumbo Jim signing a bunch of out of contract under performers from the SPL :greengrin

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Would have liked us to sign Hammill but can live without signing him, not at all bothered about Grainger and Diamond.

Sutton however, is a sore one - someone I would certainly have real concerns about in a derby.

weonlywon6-2
25-05-2011, 08:22 AM

:top marks

we have gone on about their debt for years but they are still there and have had better seasons than us as well:rolleyes:

easty
25-05-2011, 08:37 AM
They look excellent bets for 3rd again this year, unfortunately.

Grudgingly have to agree. Even if/when they lose Lee Wallace they've brought in a few players here (with Taouil looking likely to join as well) that boosts the squad they have. Fat Jim building a typical Fat Jim side, mainly grafters, and doing it pretty well.

We know we should be doing what they are, weakening our SPL competition while adding depth and experience to the squad.

Diamond is absolutley shocking though. Dont know what JJ is thinking there.

Andy74
25-05-2011, 08:40 AM

we have gone on about their debt for years but they are still there and have had better seasons than us as well:rolleyes:

So they should. If we were willing to lose £8m every year I'm sure we could cobble together a decent season as well.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Grudgingly have to agree. Even if/when they lose Lee Wallace they've brought in a few players here (with Taouil looking likely to join as well) that boosts the squad they have. Fat Jim building a typical Fat Jim side, mainly grafters, and doing it pretty well.

We know we should be doing what they are, weakening our SPL competition while adding depth and experience to the squad.

Wallace has hardly kicked a ball this season anyway.

Leithenhibby
25-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Right now they have signed nobody. And I won't lose any sleep if they do sign any of the above.

What I would say is IF, they sign this 4 then you can bet your bottom dollar that some will be moving on.

My take on this is that "The Mad One", will be looking to get some £££'s in for the likes of Wallace and others!!. and try to replace them with a cheaper version. :wink:

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 08:44 AM
So they should. If we were willing to lose £8m every year I'm sure we could cobble together a decent season as well.

To be fair, since Romanov came in we have finsihed above them 3 times out of 7 years, despite them spending around £30M more than us in wages.

They do have a good manager now though, and as long as he sticks around and they're prepared to pay good wedge, they will always be good.

Be interesting to see what happens with Zaliukus though, their defence was a shambles without him for the spell that he was dropped prior to signing his new contract last season.

MyJo
25-05-2011, 08:45 AM
sutton is a good signing but grainger is nowhere near as good as wallace who is out the door and plug is absolutely murder. they are offloading their high earners and replacing them with cheaper alternatives from, mostly bottom 6 teams.

they are now aiming at the same market that we are which is why we are linked with a player and hearts also suddenly have an interest. as well but thanks to their carefree attitude towards budgets and building up debt they are willing to offer them just enough to beat us and others like motherwell and aberdeen in wages but this is a clear indication that its starting to bite as well as the whole let's move from tynecastle scenario

green&left
25-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Who gives a f*** about Hearts. What's with the obsession? F*** them!

easty
25-05-2011, 08:48 AM
sutton is a good signing but grainger is nowhere near as good as wallace who is out the door and plug is absolutely murder. they are offloading their high earners and replacing them with cheaper alternatives from, mostly bottom 6 teams.

they are now aiming at the same market that we are which is why we are linked with a player and hearts also suddenly have an interest. as well but thanks to their carefree attitude towards budgets and building up debt they are willing to offer them just enough to beat us and others like motherwell and aberdeen in wages but this is a clear indication that its starting to bite as well as the whole let's move from tynecastle scenario

The bit in bold.....lets leave the paranoid stuff to Celtic eh...:wink:

sunshine1875
25-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I have mor confidence in Calderwood and his good contacts from England than Jumbo Jim signing a bunch of out of contract under performers from the SPL :greengrin

Totally agree. I am sick of trying to sign the same old underachievers that move from SPL club to SPL club. Lets be honest if they were good, they wouldn't be playing for £2k - £5k in the SPL. I would rather take a risk on a talented young English 1st division player who has the potential to do well at this level. The downside of this is that it is a risk. For every Dean Shiels there will be a Morrow!!! For every Rob Jones there will be a Martis!!!

easty
25-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Totally agree. I am sick of trying to sign the same old underachievers that move from SPL club to SPL club. Lets be honest if they were good, they wouldn't be playing for £2k - £5k in the SPL. I would rather take a risk on a talented young English 1st division player who has the potential to do well at this level. The downside of this is that it is a risk. For every Dean Shiels there will be a Morrow!!! For every Rob Jones there will be a Martis!!!

I'd say for every Dean Shiels and Rob Jones there are 10 Sam Morrows and Shelton Martis' though.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 08:59 AM

I'm certainly hopeful that Calderwood will have a good number of targets from that market but Jefferies has a good record in the transfer market over the years.

easty
25-05-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm certainly hopeful that Calderwood will have a good number of targets from that market but Jefferies has a good record in the transfer market over the years.

When he signs the players he wants to sign he seems to get it right. He certainly knows what type of player is needed in this division anyway.

Mark79
25-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Who gives a f*** about Hearts. What's with the obsession? F*** them!

Agreed. FTH

GreenPJ
25-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I would rather have Adam Rooney than John Sutton any day

Mikeystewart
25-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Untill somthing is done by the league to clamp down on teams spending more than they bring in, nothing will change, when it comes to the crunch for hearts someone or some government body will bail them out. Unless strict rules are in place it will come as little comfort to hibs fans who have been saying for 6 years

"Its ok, just ignore all of the success at hearts because they cant afford it and wont be here in a few years."

This excuses doesn't cut it with me. Its a false economy.

Teams like Hearts, Dundee United, Rangers and the like, will continue to spend more than they earn and will continue to be bailed out after their successes while teams like Hibs and other financially "sensible" clubs ponder their lack of it.

If nothing is done when the next big club gets into trouble, I say get all the clubs in Scotland to start spending ludicrous amounts of money they don't have racking up insane amounts of debt and when it all goes t1ts up turn to the SFA/SPL/SFL cap in hand.

Spike Mandela
25-05-2011, 09:13 AM

Would you rather have Sodje or Sutton?

LancsHibs
25-05-2011, 09:15 AM

True, but unfortunately we will have neither!

GreenPJ
25-05-2011, 09:17 AM

If there is a second striker then Sodje.

LancsHibs
25-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Untill somthing is done by the league to clamp down on teams spending more than they bring in, nothing will change, when it comes to the crunch for hearts someone or some government body will bail them out. Unless strict rules are in place it will come as little comfort to hibs fans who have been saying for 6 years

"Its ok, just ignore all of the success at hearts because they cant afford it and wont be here in a few years."

This excuses doesn't cut it with me. Its a false economy.

Teams like Hearts, Dundee United, Rangers and the like, will continue to spend more than they earn and will continue to be bailed out after their successes while teams like Hibs and other financially "sensible" clubs ponder their lack of it.

Yes but we have a shiny new stand, training ground and a black bank balance

Franck Stanton
25-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Seems a lot if disgruntled hibbies on about this news. When we were linked with Hammil was muted as a good player, good addition. Now they look likely to get him suddenly he is not so good / coming from a team normally bottom 6 etc etc. Personally I dont give a flying one about them signing anyone - I support Hibs and am more concerned about who we are going to sign.

Caversham Green
25-05-2011, 09:27 AM

....and a future that doesn't depend on the indulgence of our owner.

Spike Mandela
25-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Hearts are lucky. They seem to be owned by a guy who doesn't share the same financial prudence as most others. He seems prepered to throw £30m so far into a black hole just to have his own toy to play with and massage his ego. We should be so lucky.

Nothing we can do about it. We just have to keep to the course we have set and hopefully we will start to compete but within our means. No point moaning about what they are doing.

As for them nicking players we are interested in is it not more likely that the agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't run our targets by a club with double our wage bill.

The two clubs' strategies will run there course. Hearts fans will hope their club doesn't implode in a giant debt bubble whilst for me I just hope Hibs don't continue on a downward spiral of quality and attendances.

Kojock
25-05-2011, 09:51 AM
FTH :aok:

magnificent_seven
25-05-2011, 10:12 AM
A lot of St. Johnstone fans up here are glad to see the back of Danny Grainger. They say his set piece delivery and throw ins are decent but his defending is woeful!

Diamond is dodgy but I would take Taouil and Sutton in a flash.

I won't hold my breath though, this is coming from a newspaper than can't even spell qualified!!

Mikeystewart
25-05-2011, 10:13 AM

Heard a rumour (warning this is bull merde) that Messi isn't interested in 200k a week the Hearts can offer, mainly due to the asbestos and minging colour scheme.

leith_hibs
25-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Wouldnae worry bout the YAMS would have Hammill and Sutton but to be perfectly honest am sure our Young Players within the club would do a job just as equally well as those 2 plus the others mentioned.

Hearts can go for these players cause they have higher attendances, more season ticket holders, possibly higher revenue through leisure wear and tv revenue and league finishes....compared to Hibs.

My opinion......so what,......Hearts the club, well their fans say it all, an embarressment to Scottish Football with their thuggery on and off the pitch!!!

hibeeleicester
25-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I really do hope CC taps into his English contacts.

Palsson or Taoulil

More liverpool/top english team reserve captains wouldnt be too shabby. :agree:

FranckSuzy
25-05-2011, 10:50 AM
....and a future that doesn't depend on the indulgence of our owner.

:agree: :top marks

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Hammill signing confirmed on Forth One.

weonlywon6-2
25-05-2011, 11:04 AM

yeah,we do and look at us :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
25-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Face facts hearts can pay higher wages than us and can obviously afford to do so. If you take into consideration their 3rd place money and their pending euro cup adventure they will have at least a couple of million to cover any fees and wages of the said players. I actually respect the fact that hearts are building and making their team stonger. Hibs on the other hand continue to weaken themselves by selling their best players and general lack of ambition.

That is about right. In the mean time we look at 1st Div players or players who have yet to prove themselves at ANY level.

Hibs always take the safety 1st option, when we sold Brown and Thomson we had a chance to kick on, on the field. We chose a new training ground and stand. Some will say the correct option for the club longterm and are probably right however after over 40 years of mediocre stuff I would like Hibs to take a risk and have a dash just once.

easty
25-05-2011, 11:25 AM
yeah,we do and look at us :rolleyes:

Yep.:agree:

Look at us all smug and debt free....no wait...smug and working within a realistic budget. Where's the 'the grass is greener on the other side but only cos they've been painting the grass with green paint that they cant afford so are building up loads of debt so really our grass is better' smiley?

chrisski33
25-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Who cares who they sign! when.are we gonna sign someone!

Peevemor
25-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Yep.:agree:

Look at us all smug and debt free....no wait...smug and working within a realistic budget. Where's the 'the grass is greener on the other side but only cos they've been painting the grass with green paint that they cant afford so are building up loads of debt so really our grass is better' smiley?

Exactly.

People having a go at Hibs because of what the merricks are doing need to get a grip.

They've been losing £7M-£10M per year for the past 4 or 5 years, they rent their training ground and are about to sell their stadium (antique fire trap main stand included) so that Vlad can get his hands on some readies.

I wish we were more like that. :rolleyes:

Peevemor
25-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Who cares who they sign! when.are we gonna sign someone!

We've already started.

Albion Hibs
25-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I think Sutton would be a good signing for most SPL teams and I would have liked to have seen him at Hibs. As for the rest of them I cannot say I am bothered in anyway. Sproule is a far more proven player in this league than the likes of touil and in fairness I think Sodje has been more effective than Sutton over the same period of time.

erin go bragh
25-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Sutton scored 17 in 38 [no sure if all his goals were scored in the league] if suttons is all comps his games played will be closer to 50.
Sodje scored 6 in 13 , so sodje has the best goals to games ratio :greengrin and we were rank rotten all season so a no bad ratio
ggtth

down the slope
25-05-2011, 11:45 AM
The recent piece of spin that came from them trumpeting their profit ( no mention of debt size) also had their staff numbers and if i remember correctly the playing and coaching staff numbered 97 !. This obviously includes all the under 19's etc but is still a crazy number for any team in the SPL , recent events over their sounds like the crazy one wants his cash back so maybe it will be not be so very long that reality will kick in.

Woody1985
25-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Yes to the ground, no to the bank balance.

GreenCastle
25-05-2011, 11:51 AM

Geo_1875
25-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Can't see why we'd be bothered with them signing another 4 players. They beat us comfortably with the squad they already have. I would be worried if they sell Wallace as the money they get will surely clear their debt. And when Driver goes they will be buying Messi and Kaka and world domination will be assured.

Cropley10
25-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Hearts have the third biggest wage bill in Scotland and finish..... third!

They spend money they literally don't have. We can't and won't do this.

Let them sign these players, they are slowly having to get used to lower quality players. They will sell Wallace, cos they have to.

Hearts don't have an end-game, they over-spend their way to success, if you count finishing third a success. They're obsessed with being the tallest dwarf, irrespective of the cost and long-term implications.

Let them continue, I say.

Iain G
25-05-2011, 12:05 PM
That is about right. In the mean time we look at 1st Div players or players who have yet to prove themselves at ANY level.

Hibs always take the safety 1st option, when we sold Brown and Thomson we had a chance to kick on, on the field. We chose a new training ground and stand. Some will say the correct option for the club longterm and are probably right however after over 40 years of mediocre stuff I would like Hibs to take a risk and have a dash just once.

I think spending 4 million odd on a training centre was a big risk for a club with our turnover. Mowbray and Collins had both said it was a big issue and the club reacted by spending a lot of cash to support the core the football side of the business. :agree:

I'm hoping we have a manager in place now who can use it to get the best out of his players. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Sutton signing now confirmed too.

we are hibs
25-05-2011, 12:09 PM
We've already started.

who

Duffys13
25-05-2011, 12:12 PM
who

Sproule

J-C
25-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Tweet from Mark Benstead of Real Radio saying John Sutton has signed for Jambo's.

3pm
25-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Cunning ploy from the JT's...putting out some good news to divert attention from the stadium fiasco.

For the record, I think Diamond will, unfortunately, do well for them. I'd imagine Grainger will be the weak link of the 4.

Holmesdale Hibs
25-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Tweet from Mark Benstead of Real Radio saying John Sutton has signed for Jambo's.

Not as good as Kyle IMO but still a decent signing. A 10 goal a season man if he starts every game.

Caversham Green
25-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Cunning ploy from the JT's...putting out some good news to divert attention from the stadium fiasco.

For the record, I think Diamond will, unfortunately, do well for them. I'd imagine Grainger will be the weak link of the 4.

:agree: AGM next week. Will they discuss the fact that they needed an £18m bail-out last year just to stay in business? or the pie in the sky new stadium? or the signing of four moderately good players which will be the extent of their summer signings?

Look over on the Keechbag to find out.

3pm
25-05-2011, 12:26 PM
:agree: AGM next week. Will they discuss the fact that they needed an £18m bail-out last year just to stay in business? or the pie in the sky new stadium? or the signing of four moderately good players which will be the extent of their summer signings?

Look over on the Keechbag to find out.

What have I done to upset you?!?! :greengrin

we are hibs
25-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Confirmed on hearts website

darwenhibby
25-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I always thought he would be a good signing for us, even when he was at St M.

However do we think he is better than what he actually is because he is Chris Sutton's Brother

Ritchie
Not as good as Kyle IMO but still a decent signing. A 10 goal a season man if he starts every game.

i'd have sutton over kyle everyday of the week.

unfortunately for us, thats a good signing for them!!

Caversham Green
What have I done to upset you?!?! :greengrin

:greengrin I should have put a health warning with that.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 12:31 PM
i'd have sutton over kyle everyday of the week.

unfortunately for us, thats a good signing for them!!

Completely agree. He might not bring others into play as much as Kyle, but he is much more mobile, attacks the ball better, and has a bit more finesse/better feet - Hearts are getting his peak years as well.

With Hearts' quality in wide areas I can see him scoring a lot for them - including a few against us, unfortunately.

Thecat23
25-05-2011, 12:31 PM
To be fair the Yams are doing it the right way. They have got their targets early and not messed about. That way they have time to settle when training begins and get a good pre season. I hope we can do the same and not dive in last min and panic buy. :rolleyes:

Love the Green
25-05-2011, 12:36 PM
All decent signings who would be welcome and massively improve us .
Also showing us up as how to bring in decent targets they want early to avoid any failures, unlike us who will target players and then fail to bring them in resulting in the usual ***** that no one else wants signing 1 week before season starts.Then we get the"not match fit rubbish"

"kep the faith":wink:

Hibs Class
25-05-2011, 12:40 PM
To be fair the Yams are doing it the right way. They have got their targets early and not messed about. That way they have time to settle when training begins and get a good pre season. I hope we can do the same and not dive in last min and panic buy. :rolleyes:

They are doing it the right way, as are Dundee Utd. However whilst I agree that Sutton is a decent enough signing I think if I was a Yam I'd be a bit disappointed that I wasn't getting any big names - Sutton instead of Kyle is hardly a step change (I also agree that with their finances they shouldn't be allowed to sign anyone in the first place but that's a separate thread)

HibbyAndy
Great addition for Hearts.

Ive been saying on here for weeks how he would do a massive turn for Hibs.

Benny Brazil

Thats my fear - we hear the same every season from our Managers (theres been a few :greengrin) about how they want any transfer activity completed early so any new arrivals can settle in. Never seems to happen though,

down the slope
25-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Whilst they are good signings they will not improve the squad that they have got, where have all the world cup stars gone ? . They are all creaming themselves over these additions but i think they are going for quantity over quality and as we know to our cost that is not the way to go , right Petrie a few class acts please .

since90plustwo
25-05-2011, 12:44 PM
great signing for them unfortunatly. wee need to snap up rooney asap.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Thats my fear - we hear the same every season from our Managers (theres been a few :greengrin) about how they want any transfer activity completed early so any new arrivals can settle in. Never seems to happen though,

The problem is that Hearts are paying so much that the player is unlikely to get a better offer elsewhere - we are paying much less and therefore our targets are more likely to hold off and see what is on offer elsewhere, which they are perfectly entitled to do, and indeed would be silly if they didn't.

No matter how good our intentions are, and much as we want to get players in early, that can only happen if the players in question sign on the dotted line early.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 12:46 PM
great signing for them unfortunatly. wee need to snap up rooney asap.

Think the only good thing about the Sutton signing is that it may slightly increase any chance we have of getting Rooney (if we are after him).

GloryGlory
25-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Jamie Hamill signed for the Yams, too.

HibbyAndy
25-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Think the only good thing about the Sutton signing is that it may slightly increase any chance we have of getting Rooney (if we are after him).

Id love to see us sign Rooney, But if its true (On another thread) That wee dont really pay over 2,3,4 K basic wage then IMO we dont have a hope in hell of signing Rooney as Teams South of the border could treble his wages to what we could offer.

HibbyAndy
25-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Whilst they are good signings they will not improve the squad that they have got, where have all the world cup stars gone ? . They are all creaming themselves over these additions but i think they are going for quantity over quality and as we know to our cost that is not the way to go , right Petrie a few class acts please .

I think they will.

Hearts also have strength in depth now also.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Id love to see us sign Rooney, But if its true (On another thread) That wee dont really pay over 2,3,4 K basic wage then IMO we dont have a hope in hell of signing Rooney as Teams South of the border could treble his wages to what we could offer.

Yeah, I can't see it either, unless (as some believe and I would like to believe) that we are prepared to make 3-4 big signings of our own this summer.

GreenCastle
25-05-2011, 12:57 PM
While not World Cup stars - JJ will get the best out of these players.

Look at Kyle - we all thought he was mince and he added something to their team - he's been unfortunate with injuries but fitted in well with JJ style of play.

The players mentioned aren't good enough for the Old Firm or any decent teams down south but they are some of the best of the rest = strengthen the yams into 3rd again next year and make the rest of the SPL weaker.

Craig_in_Prague
25-05-2011, 01:03 PM
With the money they spend, I'd be expecting better.

In saying that, good signing for them nonetheless.

Hibs need to stop with all the reports about "together we are stronger" and the latest guff from CC and just actually go sign some quality once and for all.

If he's identified players, stop playing poker with the agent, get the deal DONE.

Can see us sitting on transfer deadline day wondering who we might sign, nap!

smurf
25-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Very good signing for them. Would loved him at ER.

Roll on us looking over trialists late Aug.:greengrin

ski1875
25-05-2011, 01:06 PM
No a bad signing if am bein honest, which i try to be.

Ritchie
25-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Very good signing for them. Would loved him at ER.

Roll on us looking over youtube videos late Aug.:greengrin

fixed that for you :wink:

Andy74
25-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Decent signing. I see there's no desire to stop another £8m loss next year.

Lmc2105
25-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Jamie Hamill signed for the Yams, too.

yeah a noticed that to ... a player that can't stop scoring against us signs for them .. that's all we need all we need now is for them to sign Liam Craig and there were sorted!!! :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 01:29 PM
While not World Cup stars - JJ will get the best out of these players.

Look at Kyle - we all thought he was mince and he added something to their team - he's been unfortunate with injuries but fitted in well with JJ style of play.

The players mentioned aren't good enough for the Old Firm or any decent teams down south but they are some of the best of the rest = strengthen the yams into 3rd again next year and make the rest of the SPL weaker.

Speak for yourself, would've been delighted if he had signed for us. Myself and many others on here are not narrow minded/pig headed enough to believe that anyone that Hearts sign is crap.

You are correct with the rest of your post though, with these four signings they have improved their squad significantly, and even the apparently imminent departure of Wallace shouldn't harm them too much.

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Decent signings but I can't see this news worrying either of the Old Firm.

Third place at best next season. Don't forget that they huffed and puffed their way into 3rd place last season and only managed to secure best of the rest spot by a couple of points. At what cost? The football they played in the latter half of the season was probably not much better than we saw at Easter Road.

Rod splash the cash. :aok:

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Good enough signing. Probably means that Kyle is more or less finished as a regular pick. Have to say though, that had we signed him, the comment from The Giants would have been along the lines of journey-man freebie, or consistent bottom six player signs for Hobos. Same applies to that Grainger sort, so let's no get bent out of shape.

Craig_in_Prague
25-05-2011, 01:42 PM
yeah a noticed that to ... a player that can't stop scoring against us signs for them .. that's all we need all we need now is for them to sign Liam Craig and there were sorted!!! :rolleyes:

Hearts could start with a pink traffic cone up-front against us, and it would score.

Likewise, Hibs could play against 11 pink/maroon training cones, and get beat.

As much as I've love to see better derby results, we need to start getting more points off other teams though, as close to perfect home form as possible, with points gained on the road at most places too. It's the SPL, not EPL or la liga, we really shouldn't be expecting defeats as our side prepare to head to Perth, Inverness, Paisley or the likes........really Hibs, grow some baws and get us back to being a team others are feared of!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgggh

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 01:49 PM
News of their signings coming up soon on SSN. Hope they interview the locals outside Tynecastle.

One thing we know for sure is that asbestos will be at Tynecastle longer than any of their new signings.

It's now on.

Strange that most of the interview was about the going ons at Ibrox rather than the Yams new signings.

YehButNoBut
25-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Seemingly Danny Grainger is next to sign on at Tynie.

hibee92
25-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Grainger signs...

Jim44
25-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm not particularly impressed or shaking in my shoes at the news of new Jambo signings, but it does increase the frustration and doubt created by our apparent inability to promptly attract players to the club. Hopefully we will eventually get our men but no doubt we'll have to wait till all other avenues are closed to them.' Poor relations' springs to mind.

MyJo
25-05-2011, 02:21 PM

the wage bill that was quoted on here for hibs last year was 4.7m. assuming CC has 3m of that for wages his 24 man squad would be an average wage of 2.5k per week. considering a fair number will be youth players earning less than 1k per week that would allow scope for 2 or 3 players to be brought in on 3 or 4k per week which is what i think cc is aiming for.

Stevie Reid
25-05-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm not particularly impressed or shaking in my shoes at the news of new Jambo signings, but it does increase the frustration and doubt created by our apparent inability to promptly attract players to the club. Hopefully we will eventually get our men but no doubt we'll have to wait till all other avenues are closed to them.' Poor relations' springs to mind.

What we will have to do in relation to Hearts is what other teams in the SPL have done in relation to us - find better players/players of equal quality with a smaller budget. It's far from impossible, as the performances of Dundee Utd, Motherwell, ICT and Killie have shown.

It's not just the money that counts (though it is the most important factor) - in recent years Hearts have proved that spending more money than your rivals guarantees nothing, but spending more money than your rivals wisely will guarantee you 3rd.

Scotthibs1875
25-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Hamil, Diamond & Grainger are very average players. I think Sutton could be a good signing for them but we all thought Nish would be a good signing..

Spike Mandela
25-05-2011, 03:02 PM
One thing we could learn from Hearts is how to create a bit of excitement about the place.

Irrespective of the merits of the new signings and the actual real chances of any stadium development it creates a buzz amongst the fans and some genuine interest in the season ahead.

We have our manager 'hoping' to get two targets and talk of a 1% increase in performance:yawn::rolleyes:

Andy74
25-05-2011, 03:20 PM
One thing we could learn from Hearts is how to create a bit of excitement about the place.

Irrespective of the merits of the new signings and the actual real chances of any stadium development it creates a buzz amongst the fans and some genuine interest in the season ahead.

We have our manager 'hoping' to get two targets and talk of a 1% increase in performance:yawn::rolleyes:

Easy done on signings when you are chucking money you don't have at it though.

The stadium thing shouldn't be producing excitement, it should be a clear signal that they are almost finished where they are with no real plan on how to do anything different. We had our own consultation on a stadium which quire rightly ended up with a backlash that ensured we ended up staying at ER.

MrSmith
25-05-2011, 03:34 PM
With the money they spend, I'd be expecting better.

In saying that, good signing for them nonetheless.

Hibs need to stop with all the reports about "together we are stronger" and the latest guff from CC and just actually go sign some quality once and for all.

If he's identified players, stop playing poker with the agent, get the deal DONE.

Can see us sitting on transfer deadline day wondering who we might sign, nap!

yeah, well, I'm not renewing nor buying strips for my kids... infact due to apathy, absolute pish our board feed us and expect us to put up with in terms of transfer targets and players bought in, I'm certainly not likely to attend any game or part with my money at all next season.

silverhibee
25-05-2011, 03:43 PM

one day maybe...
25-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Thing is with this is that hearts have done their shopping early and as we all know that is not always the best way to get a bargain. These players are tried and tested SPL players no better no worse than the ones they have. I sincerely hope that CC is looking at the English lower/Scandanavian leagues for players wanting play football for a decent set up and to play for a forward thinking club like Hibernian. CC has to sell the place, sell the set up, sell the players he is after the whole package, the benfits of playing here, the tremendous facilities availabe to players with a desire to further their career by playing and not sitting in some championships teams reserves, players wanting to improve and eventually move on.

Players after big bucks need not apply, as we don't do big bucks at Hibernian, you get that across the city where monopoly money builds the dream :rolleyes:

PaulSmith
25-05-2011, 05:07 PM
So there losing Wallace to Rangers, Ruben Palsomething and Kyle (will be forced to retire) with Grainger, Hamill and Sutton yet they are supposed to be stronger?

Archie70
25-05-2011, 05:09 PM
They've made some decent signings there. However -
will Webster and Diamond conceed less goals than Zaliukas and Bouzid (who are expected to leave)
will Sutton score more than Kyle (who's finished)
is Grainger a better player than Wallace (who's expected to leave)
will Hamill score more than Skacel (who's expected to leave)
Take Kello out their side and are they really going to be much stronger than last season. Doubt it but what they have done is whip up a whole load of positive PR two days after they announce their moving home and softened the blow for any players leaving.

Westie1875
25-05-2011, 05:43 PM
So there losing Wallace to Rangers, Ruben Palsomething and Kyle (will be forced to retire) with Grainger, Hamill and Sutton yet they are supposed to be stronger?

I don't really get what all the fuss is about either. You can maybe add Kello & Skacel to your lose list as well. The fact they're signing Diamond is hilarious IMO, absolute bombscare.

hibsbollah
25-05-2011, 05:45 PM
:rolleyes:
They've made some decent signings there. However -
will Webster and Diamond conceed less goals than Zaliukas and Bouzid (who are expected to leave)
will Sutton score more than Kyle (who's finished)
is Grainger a better player than Wallace (who's expected to leave)
will Hamill score more than Skacel (who's expected to leave)
Take Kello out their side and are they really going to be much stronger than last season. Doubt it but what they have done is whip up a whole load of positive PR two days after they announce their moving home and softened the blow for any players leaving.

Is skacel leaving?

chrisski33
25-05-2011, 05:47 PM
We've already started.

Who? Weve only signed sproule! Rather we talked who hibs were signing not who they are signing

hibiedude
25-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Sutton and Hammill are good players not sure what they are doing at Hearts.

I heard we are about to sign a striker so lets keep our fingers crossed he's decent

daddyhibs
25-05-2011, 06:17 PM
:flag::aok: come on hibs spend the money if we whant to stay in the spl and beat the yams ggtth :confused:

CropleyWasGod
25-05-2011, 06:18 PM
:flag::aok: come on hibs spend the money if we whant to stay in the spl and beat the yams ggtth :confused:

Dear God, what's happening? Are we giving 2-for-1 these days?

Kojock
25-05-2011, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=one day maybe...;2812562] I sincerely hope that CC is looking at the English lower/Scandanavian leagues for players wanting play football for a decent set up and to play for a forward thinking club like Hibernian. CC has to sell the place, sell the set up, sell the players he is after the whole package, the benfits of playing here, the tremendous facilities availabe to players with a desire to further their career by playing and not sitting in some championships teams reserves, players wanting to improve and eventually move on. [QUOTE]

Hibs have everything going for them, superb training facilities, fantastic stadium, based in a wonderful city. So why doesn't everyone want to sign for us ? Is it because footballers dont care about anything else other than who will pay them the most. :confused:

Gatecrasher
25-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Its been a good day for the Jambo's like it or not.

i hope we can sign some decent players this summer and improve our squad :agree:

The Falcon
25-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Hibs have everything going for them, superb training facilities, fantastic stadium, based in a wonderful city. So why doesn't everyone want to sign for us ? Is it because footballers dont care about anything else other than who will pay them the most. :confused:

Couldnt possibly be that simple? Could it?

Lets ask Darren Barr.

SRHibs
25-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Decent signings on the face of it, but if you look at who these guys might be replacing, then it paints a different picture.

scoopyboy
25-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Its been a good day for the Jambo's like it or not.
i hope we can sign some decent players this summer and improve our squad :agree:

It's been a good day for them, two days after learning they've lost their home.

Bit like having your house repossesed and then drinking a bottle of champagne in the park.

Gatecrasher
25-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Bit like having your house repossesed and then drinking a bottle of champagne in the park.

thats a fair point :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2011, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=one day maybe...;2812562] I sincerely hope that CC is looking at the English lower/Scandanavian leagues for players wanting play football for a decent set up and to play for a forward thinking club like Hibernian. CC has to sell the place, sell the set up, sell the players he is after the whole package, the benfits of playing here, the tremendous facilities availabe to players with a desire to further their career by playing and not sitting in some championships teams reserves, players wanting to improve and eventually move on. [QUOTE]

Always seems to be the way, footballers are mercenaries, just look at Tevez for example....

FWIW I think Sutton will do a job for them, the rest are average joes

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2011, 07:26 PM

Surely a slip, and you meant buckfast or merrydown cider?:devil:

scoopyboy
25-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Surely a slip, and you meant buckfast or merrydown cider?:devil:

I didn't know if fellow Hibs fans could relate to inferior products.

Baldy Foghorn
25-05-2011, 07:41 PM
I didn't know if fellow Hibs fans could relate to inferior products.

Only because I have seen jambos drinking said inferior products in the passing

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-05-2011, 07:43 PM
jeezo. Just saw the Sutton news on SSN. Wondered why he rolled up with a puce faced morbidly obese old farmer until he was introduced as Alan Mclaren.

Hibstrooper
25-05-2011, 08:02 PM

You hardly even seem to trying to hide your yamness :rolleyes:

Liberal Hibby
25-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Decent signings on the face of it, but if you look at who these guys might be replacing, then it paints a different picture.

Quite. It's pretty much like for like and the idea that Diamond would strengthen any defence is somewhat bizarre.

IWasThere2016
25-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Quite. It's pretty much like for like and the idea that Diamond would strengthen any defence is somewhat bizarre.

:agree: And wait til they remember he is a Cellic fan wi a CFC cake on his birthday. I think he's even got a Cellic tattoo :greengrin They'll love that!

Stevie Reid
26-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Kyle is 29 and has scored 57 goals in his career; Sutton is 27 and has scored 85, with his best years ahead of him and no injury problems. He is not as effective a target man but has other attributes that are far better than Kyle's.

Wallace hardly kicked a ball last season and Palazuelos spent most of the season filling in for him (very well), Wallace didn't feature at all when Hearts were flying IIRC. Grainger is decent left back cover with a good left foot and good SPL experience, Hammill is a good acquisition also with about as many goals from midfield as Kyle scored up front.

Yes Hearts will most likely lose good players, but there's no way to deny that these, on paper at least, are good signings that strengthen their squad.

ehf
26-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Bottom line is, Sutton, Hamill and Grainger are excellent signings - they are also players that will give everything for the jersey. Likely to be far more effective than whatever journeymen/has-beens/never-will-be's CC comes up with from his trawl through the lower reaches of the English leagues to fit within Petrie's miserly budget. The lack of ambition at ER is sickening.

poolman
26-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Bottom line is, Sutton, Hamill and Grainger are excellent signings - they are also players that will give everything for the jersey. Likely to be far more effective than whatever journeymen/has-beens/never-will-be's CC comes up with from his trawl through the lower reaches of the English leagues to fit within Petrie's miserly budget. The lack of ambition at ER is sickening.

:asshole:

I havn't got all day to pick holes in that rubbish post

Kaiser1962
26-05-2011, 04:09 PM
:agree: And wait til they remember he is a Cellic fan wi a CFC cake on his birthday. I think he's even got a Cellic tattoo :greengrin They'll love that!

I feel sure they will welcome him with forgiveness in their HEARTS :whistle:

eastmainsmsh
26-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Sutton is a player who has had indifferent spells in his career like move to millwall which went pear shaped ..he is a good player who has had his most consistant season at well

However you have to question his ambition moving to yams

Scotthibs1875
26-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Kyle is 29 and has scored 57 goals in his career; Sutton is 27 and has scored 85, with his best years ahead of him and no injury problems. He is not as effective a target man but has other attributes that are far better than Kyle's.

Wallace hardly kicked a ball last season and Palazuelos spent most of the season filling in for him (very well), Wallace didn't feature at all when Hearts were flying IIRC. Grainger is decent left back cover with a good left foot and good SPL experience, Hammill is a good acquisition also with about as many goals from midfield as Kyle scored up front.

Yes Hearts will most likely lose good players, but there's no way to deny that these, on paper at least, are good signings that strengthen their squad.

I think sutton is the only one worth talking about the rest are very average players.
What is this obbsession with '"SPL experience"? David van Zanten's got SPL experience ffs
Hammil is dreadful, i watched him against Celtic constantly giving the ball away and his goals have mostly been from penalties.

Kaiser1962
26-05-2011, 04:37 PM
I think sutton is the only one worth talking about the rest are very average players.
What is this obbsession with '"SPL experience"? David van Zanten's got SPL experience ffs
Hammil is dreadful, i watched him against Celtic constantly giving the ball away and his goals have mostly been from penalties.

The times I've seen Killie this season the standout for me has been Sissoko. I dont know what Van Nishtelroy and the like make of him, and I would add I have not seen him often.

truehibernian
26-05-2011, 05:00 PM
What's amusing me is this mild hysteria about the fact Hearts are making these signings and we are doing nothing (apparently). Fair play to JJ, he has done his pre-season work early and managed to get his targets. Limited scouting necessary, all SPL based players, one or two who he has a working relationship with, and the wee lure of a possible Euro run is always going to be a clincher. His teams are always physical, always have a reliance on set pieces and are generally built from the back (with a little width up top).......he really doesn't deviate from his ideal set up's so it's no surprise he has gone for players that offer a degree of physicality and good delivery. The team he is trying to build is very reminiscent of his '98 side. Taoul (if he gets him) is wee Cameron, Sutton is Adam, he has his McCann in either Driver or Templeton, his Fulton in Skacel, and his centre backs are always big and solid. He is predictable with what he goes for. You know.....the kind of team that we humped a few times and ripped the **** out of :agree:

But you can also guarantee, 100%, that they are going to lose players. Lee Wallace is definitely away, Templeton will attract offers, Black is on a shoogly peg regards his off field antics, Skacel's year option has not as yet been agreed by Hearts, Kello is attracting OF interest and from down south. Bouzid may be off and Zaliukas, Romanov and JJ seem to have a 'funny thing' going on too. Kyle's hip is potentially career ending. Oh and as I posted last year, Driver's injuries are way worse than has been reported hence he keeps 'breaking down'. Palazuelos is away too.

The most revealing statement from Romanov came today when he has been brutally honest and said the future of the club is at stake if they don't get the planned move........a move to a new stadium as we know is not like a house swap. You can literally add 3-5 years of planning, from the idea, through to consultation, to planning apps, to consents and approvals, sale of land, etc, etc, etc..........

Hibs are doing work on getting players in. It's an absolute given. Whether they whet the appetite that remains to be seen, but we will get there and for me it's not time critical that we get them in immediately but as long as we have them in place for pre-season. Let Hearts enjoy the moment and indeed, in Sutton they have a decent player IMHO. The rest......good for their squad I agree......take them to the 'next level'........in the SPL, no danger. We are all behind the OF there. 30 points worth behind last time I looked at the table (from 3rd down).

My message would be to relax, be calm, enjoy summer and have a wee tad patience with CC and the board. If Miller goes he goes. If Derek goes, wish him well. Players come and go but the club and we the fans will ALWAYS be here. Stay coooooool my Hibee chums and chumettes and have some faith. There seem a clamour of fans who come out with "oh Hearts beat us to a player again" with a real degree of sadness and envy. If they do, they do......they may indeed pay more cash but there may be other factors........trust me Hibs will attract good players too. There is no shame at all that say Sutton and Hamill have chosen Hearts. As a football player I would never ever be looking at the opposition and worrying about them. It's what you do as a player that is crucial and once you pull on the Hibernian jersey you only care about winning for Hibs, not what John Sutton 'may or may not' do to us. Let's have them worrying about what our team is going to do to them next season eh.

And thank our lucky lucky stars that they are signing Zander Diamond :greengrin Hearts have never, nor will they ever, have me 'rocking' at the thought of who they have signed trust me. All they ever do is make me continually thankful I am a Hibernian supporter :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
26-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Some decent signings for the Yams with the exception of Diamond who has never looked much more than a journeyman IMO.

But at the end of the day nothing earth shattering. There is a long way to go in the transfer window and I cant see any point in getting into a panic until later in the summer and we still havnt signed anybody apart from Ivan.

As others have said, lets worry about what we are going to do to have a team capable of beating the others rather than worry about how we stop the Yams.

However, having said that, anybody who witnessed our pathetic efforts in the bottom 6 would be worried if we dont at least look like we are trying to improve, BY A LONG WAY on that.

Should be an interesting few weeks .... I hope!

Ray_
26-05-2011, 05:44 PM
What's amusing me is this mild hysteria about the fact Hearts are making these signings and we are doing nothing (apparently). Fair play to JJ, he has done his pre-season work early and managed to get his targets. Limited scouting necessary, all SPL based players, one or two who he has a working relationship with, and the wee lure of a possible Euro run is always going to be a clincher. His teams are always physical, always have a reliance on set pieces and are generally built from the back (with a little width up top).......he really doesn't deviate from his ideal set up's so it's no surprise he has gone for players that offer a degree of physicality and good delivery. The team he is trying to build is very reminiscent of his '98 side. Taoul (if he gets him) is wee Cameron, Sutton is Adam, he has his McCann in either Driver or Templeton, his Fulton in Skacel, and his centre backs are always big and solid. He is predictable with what he goes for. You know.....the kind of team that we humped a few times and ripped the **** out of :agree:

Trouble is that our Sauzee, Latapy etc seem a million miles away.

poolman
26-05-2011, 05:49 PM

But you can also guarantee, 100%, that they are going to lose players. Lee Wallace is definitely away, Templeton will attract offers, Black is on a shoogly peg regards his off field antics, Skacel's year option has not as yet been agreed by Hearts, Kello is attracting OF interest and from down south. Bouzid may be off and Zaliukas, Romanov and JJ seem to have a 'funny thing' going on too. Kyle's hip is potentially career ending. Oh and as I posted last year, Driver's injuries are way worse than has been reported hence he keeps 'breaking down'. Palazuelos is away too.

The most revealing statement from Romanov came today when he has been brutally honest and said the future of the club is at stake if they don't get the planned move........a move to a new stadium as we know is not like a house swap. You can literally add 3-5 years of planning, from the idea, through to consultation, to planning apps, to consents and approvals, sale of land, etc, etc, etc..........

Hibs are doing work on getting players in. It's an absolute given. Whether they whet the appetite that remains to be seen, but we will get there and for me it's not time critical that we get them in immediately but as long as we have them in place for pre-season. Let Hearts enjoy the moment and indeed, in Sutton they have a decent player IMHO. The rest......good for their squad I agree......take them to the 'next level'........in the SPL, no danger. We are all behind the OF there. 30 points worth behind last time I looked at the table (from 3rd down).

My message would be to relax, be calm, enjoy summer and have a wee tad patience with CC and the board. If Miller goes he goes. If Derek goes, wish him well. Players come and go but the club and we the fans will ALWAYS be here. Stay coooooool my Hibee chums and chumettes and have some faith. There seem a clamour of fans who come out with "oh Hearts beat us to a player again" with a real degree of sadness and envy. If they do, they do......they may indeed pay more cash but there may be other factors........trust me Hibs will attract good players too. There is no shame at all that say Sutton and Hamill have chosen Hearts. As a football player I would never ever be looking at the opposition and worrying about them. It's what you do as a player that is crucial and once you pull on the Hibernian jersey you only care about winning for Hibs, not what John Sutton 'may or may not' do to us. Let's have them worrying about what our team is going to do to them next season eh.

And thank our lucky lucky stars that they are signing Zander Diamond :greengrin Hearts have never, nor will they ever, have me 'rocking' at the thought of who they have signed trust me. All they ever do is make me continually thankful I am a Hibernian supporter :agree:

Excellent post :agree:

Kaiser1962
26-05-2011, 06:02 PM
What's amusing me is this mild hysteria about the fact Hearts are making these signings and we are doing nothing (apparently). Fair play to JJ, he has done his pre-season work early and managed to get his targets. Limited scouting necessary, all SPL based players, one or two who he has a working relationship with, and the wee lure of a possible Euro run is always going to be a clincher. His teams are always physical, always have a reliance on set pieces and are generally built from the back (with a little width up top).......he really doesn't deviate from his ideal set up's so it's no surprise he has gone for players that offer a degree of physicality and good delivery. The team he is trying to build is very reminiscent of his '98 side.

The other thing is that when JJ joins they usually get a lift and after a couple of seasons it goes stale. Falkirk and Hearts the first time. Bradford was a disaster. Killie did ok to start with before going into freefall. He only won one of the last 12 games. Its a worry. :greengrin

son of haggart
26-05-2011, 11:28 PM
The other thing is that when JJ joins they usually get a lift and after a couple of seasons it goes stale. Falkirk and Hearts the first time. Bradford was a disaster. Killie did ok to start with before going into freefall. He only won one of the last 12 games. Its a worry. :greengrin

worry away - I'm happy:wink:

Shrekko
26-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Solid signings by Hearts but they've certainly lowered their expectations judging by the excitement it's caused amongst their fans.

Sutton is decent in Scotland although, he has flopped twice down south. Hamill and Grainger have been around a while but (like Zander Diamond) havent a Scotland cap between them. The big question is whether they are any better than the guys who might leave or have left- Palazeulos or Hamill for instance?

One thing that is in no doubt is that they continue to blow everyone else outwith the Old Firn out the water on wages which is why they're able to tie up deals so quickly. Again their fans love it because it reinforces their 'we are big' mentality but I firmly believe that players of that standard can still be attained by a club of Hibs size quite easily. The fact they've had their wee spree probably clears the way.

Kaiser1962
27-05-2011, 06:19 AM
worry away - I'm happy:wink:

Watch this space SOH :greengrin

I remember JJ when he was at the Fairydean. Still holds the course record at Lauder GC. He'll be able to try to beat that next year as he will have plenty of time on his hands.

Stevie Reid
27-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Who's got an obsession with SPL experience? I mentioned that Grainger had good SPL experience, which he has. I was surprised when Dundee Utd let him go, he always looked pretty good when I saw him and can hit a good free kick.

Hammill is not dreadful and it doesn't really matter whether his goals were penalties or not. Most of Kevin Kyle's goals were penalties, someone has to score them. Liam Miller's goals last season were mostly penalties.

Stevie Reid
27-05-2011, 08:55 AM

When did things go stale at Falkirk exactly? They were high up the league when he left, indeed there were hundreds of fans celebrating outside Brockville when he initially turned Hearts down. He left Hearts the first time because he fell out with Robinson, in his first spell there they finished 4th two years running, then 3rd and won the SC - the following season when they flirted with relegation for a bit, but still finished 6th.

In his time at Killie they finished 7th, 4th, 10th, 7th, 5th two years running (including above us the year we beat them in the League Cup final), 11th (but 27 points off the bottom) and 8th - he then left and they only stayed in the SPL on the last day under Calderwood. Where is this freefall you speak of?

Jefferies is a good manager, I was always surprised that Dundee Utd and Aberdeen never went after him when they were going through so many different managers given his achievements at Killie - as long as Romanov gives him money to spend, Hearts will be good.

Hank Schrader
27-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Jefferies is a good manager, I was always surprised that Dundee Utd and Aberdeen never went after him when they were going through so many different managers given his achievements at Killie - as long as Romanov gives him money to spend, Hearts will be good.

When he went back to Hearts I didn't laugh as hard as some on here. I knew Hearts were replacing an average coach with someone with bags of SPL experience and knows how to get Hearts playing well.

Kaiser1962
27-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Did you note the smilie at the end of my post?

I didnt realise he was Mourinho though! Wow!

Note to reader. No smilie on this one.

When did things go stale at Falkirk exactly? They were high up the league when he left, indeed there were hundreds of fans celebrating outside Brockville when he initially turned Hearts down. He left Hearts the first time because he fell out with Robinson, in his first spell there they finished 4th two years running, then 3rd and won the SC - the following season when they flirted with relegation for a bit, but still finished 6th.

In his time at Killie they finished 7th, 4th, 10th, 7th, 5th two years running (including above us the year we beat them in the League Cup final), 11th (but 27 points off the bottom) and 8th - he then left and they only stayed in the SPL on the last day under Calderwood. Where is this freefall you speak of?

Stevie Reid
27-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Did you note the smilie at the end of my post?

I didnt realise he was Mourinho though! Wow!

Note to reader. No smilie on this one.

The smilie was noted yes. Was it supposed to indicate that you were talking pish in your post? If so, you should have added it to that one as well :wink:

Kaiser1962
27-05-2011, 10:31 AM
The smilie was noted yes. Was it supposed to indicate that you were talking pish in your post? If so, you should have added it to that one as well :wink:

Its a matter of opinion. The points were perhaps exaggerated for effect but nonetheless relevant. Bradford fans admire his skills to this day.

Stevie Reid
27-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Its a matter of opinion. The points were perhaps exaggerated for effect but nonetheless relevant. Bradford fans admire his skills to this day.

Bradford wasn't good certainly but there were mitigating circumstances there - regardless he is certainly a good SPL manager, IMO - you are of course, very much entitled to your differing one.

Regardless of opinions though, there was no stale period at Falkirk or freefall at Killie.

johnrebus
27-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Sutton is a player who has had indifferent spells in his career like move to millwall which went pear shaped ..he is a good player who has had his most consistant season at well

However you have to question his ambition moving to yams

Sutton is an ordinary player who has had a good season.

He also lives on another planet. In the press yesterday he was spouting on about how one of the main reasons on signing for the Yams was because of electric atmosphere of Tynecastle......,

Strange thing to say as the flotilla of JCB's rumbles along Gorgie Road?

:rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
27-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Bradford wasn't good certainly but there were mitigating circumstances there - regardless he is certainly a good SPL manager, IMO - you are of course, very much entitled to your differing one.

Regardless of opinions though, there was no stale period at Falkirk or freefall at Killie.

Depends on what you want to see I suppose.