PDA

View Full Version : Jambo mates?

Hibrandenburg
24-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Keep reading about 'My Jambo mate this and my Jambo mate that'. Am I the only one not to have any Jambo mates or do any other good clean Hibbies refuse to fraternise with the enemy? I've got a family member who's a Yam but I try and pretend he's adopted.

TamHibs
24-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Do you also not have any Celtic or Rangers supporting mates either? I have quite a few Jambo mates who apart from when it comes to their team are good guys. Quite petty if someone wouldnt be mates with someone else just because of the colour of the team they support (even if it is a turd colour :wink:)

J-C
24-05-2011, 09:52 PM
My wifes side of the family are all Jambo's and a mate from years ago who I played American football with a Rangers man, from ayrshire originally. Mates are mates no matter who they support, they can be from work,school socially, it matters not a jot as it's only football after all.

Hibrandenburg
24-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Maybe it's because I live in Germany and the infestation isn't quite as bad here. Still strange that my whole family are hibbies considering they have a protestant heritage.

J-C
24-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Maybe it's because I live in Germany and the infestation isn't quite as bad here. Still strange that my whole family are hibbies considering they have a protestant heritage.

Remember Hibs haven't been a catholic club for many a long year, it's a community club now, yes it's roots were catholic but that changed long, long ago. I and many many more supporters are non catholics( I'm athiest ) it's where the club is ( Leith), I'm a leither and went to the games as a laddie with all my mates from the Links area,used to get lifted over the turnstyles when I was wee.

Cabbage East
24-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Never trust a yam.

.Sean.
24-05-2011, 10:01 PM
2 of my best mates are Jambos. Another close mate is Celtic daft. Got a Cowdenbeath supporting mate and my best pal is a Motherwell fan. The rest are either Hibs or Huns.

Hibrandenburg
24-05-2011, 10:03 PM
****! Just remembered that my old dear is a closet Jambo. Does that make me a mudblood?

iwasthere1972
24-05-2011, 10:07 PM
My brother-in-law and his son are both Yams. The rest of my family and relations are Hibbys. We outnumber them by about 10 to 1. :thumbsup:

HibeeDave
24-05-2011, 10:07 PM
I have no jambo mates, my best mate is a dons fan, down here you're either spurs or a gooner.

we have absolutely no jambos in the family.

Wilbur
24-05-2011, 10:11 PM
My mates are split 50/50 hibees & jambos, most of whom I have known since primary school. We hate each other on derby day, but it's always good banter.

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Best mates a jambo.

darwenhibby
24-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Keep reading about 'My Jambo mate this and my Jambo mate that'. Am I the only one not to have any Jambo mates or do any other good clean Hibbies refuse to fraternise with the enemy? I've got a family member who's a Yam but I try and pretend he's adopted.

Who's the Blacksheep then:panic:

Must be on yer otherside:wink:

darwenhibby
24-05-2011, 10:28 PM

Not all of us:no way:

LeithBoozy
24-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Im married to one, she was born in Leith but became a jambo because her dad would not take her to ER with him. He liked a bevy with his brothers to much god bless him. I have a good few jambo mates that I feel lucky to have known, dont ever hate anyone because of the team they support, good friends are hard to find. :wink:

ScottB
24-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Honestly, the folk who refuse to be friends with nobody but folk who support the club they do are pathetic.

Got plenty mates / family that support Hearts, work with Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell and Partick Thistle fans. All of em top guys.

Couldn't care less what clubs anybody supports, it's not the be all and end all of how I define myself or anyone else. Unless of course they are your atypical asshole football fan, they I aint mates with them, and include a few Hibs fans I know on that score.

The Harp
24-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Remember Hibs haven't been a catholic club for many a long year, it's a community club now, yes it's roots were catholic but that changed long, long ago. I and many many more supporters are non catholics( I'm athiest ) it's where the club is ( Leith), I'm a leither and went to the games as a laddie with all my mates from the Links area,used to get lifted over the turnstyles when I was wee.

Please don't forget there are a lot of us who are descended from the 19th century Irish from the Cowgate who gave birth to the Club. Supporting the Hibs has been handed down through the generations and will continue be.
I agree the Club has evolved and has become a much loved part of the Edinburgh/Leith community, but roots don't change.

McHibby
25-05-2011, 12:47 AM
****! Just remembered that my old dear is a closet Jambo. Does that make me a mudblood?
:hilarious

My mates are all sorts, it makes things a bit more interesting - nothing like a good debate over a pint or two :greengrin In fact I'd say probably the majority are Jambos, I'm from Dalkeith originally and they have a quite a big support there. High school was always an absolute nightmare after a derby game, we almost always lost, and not only was I the only Hibee in my class I'm also a lassie... got the p*ss ripped out of me for weeks!!!

DAVE1875
25-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Everyone I know or speak to are either Aberdeen, Celtic or Rangers fans (most of the Celtic and Rangers fans are true glory hunters, never been to the grounds and only know the likes of Hooper, Weir and , although I do have a few mates who support Dundee United, Motherwell and even St. Johnstone.

No Jambo or Hibby mates, have seen a few walking about in Ellon & Aberdeen though.

Don't see any problem with having Jambo mates, as long as they can take as well as they give. I'm sure they're good people, deluded yes, but good people non-the-less. Then again, every football fan is slightly deluded in their own way.

Rory89
25-05-2011, 02:40 AM

You sound like a total sad act.

Yes I have plenty of jambo mates, as well as Hibs, Rangers, Celtic and many others. I don't often agree with a lot of their opinions on football, but it makes things more interesting. If I didn't have jambo mates to slag off after a derby win (or the more frequent occurance of them slagging me off after a derby defeat :rolleyes:) I honestly don't think I'd care nearly as much about the result. It's all about bragging rights, if that didn't exist football would just be like cricket.

I can't stand Hearts and the attitude of many of their supporters, but I think you need to leave the house occasionally and realise that most of them are alright really. If everyone agreed on everything the world would be a boring place, it would basically be hibs.net.

Dashing Bob S
25-05-2011, 04:05 AM
I know quite a few Jambos, have some in my family, and I think of them a bit like house pets. You can have a certain affection for them, but you know that they are never going to be on the same level as you.

TrickyNicky
25-05-2011, 04:23 AM
My stepdad is a Jambo - wouldn't take me to ER, never tried to take me to Tynecastle either, my mum's side are all Hibby's, so they took me.
At least he never tried to change me, hit me, yes, but never change me.

He now has no teeth and can be found on brokenman.net.

J-C
25-05-2011, 04:25 AM
Please don't forget there are a lot of us who are descended from the 19th century Irish from the Cowgate who gave birth to the Club. Supporting the Hibs has been handed down through the generations and will continue be.
I agree the Club has evolved and has become a much loved part of the Edinburgh/Leith community, but roots don't change.

I never said not to forget,both my grandads were Irish, was pointing out that religion isn't a factor any more about being a Hibs supporter.

bighairyfaeleith
25-05-2011, 05:37 AM
I have no jambo mates, not really by design I just don't know any that I would call friends.

Living and working in leith you don't come across that many day to day so it's not that surprising really, I'm sure there are jambos in gorgie/harthill:wink: in the same position.

greenlex
25-05-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't have any mates.

Ritchie
25-05-2011, 06:17 AM
All my dads side of the family are jambos due to willie bauld being a relation.

All my mums side are celtic fans due to them being originally from parkhead

I'm the only hibee in my whole family..... Don't know how that happened!! Glad I didn't follow my families lead though :flag:

Mikey
25-05-2011, 07:10 AM

No Jambo mates here.

Hibby Kay-Yay
25-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Been Best Man at two weddings for jambo's! Always made me smile when I reminded them of this after the tied the knot :)

Allant1981
25-05-2011, 07:34 AM
My dad is a jambo and most of my mates are jambos, mums side are all hibs fans. Only have a couple of mates who support hibs

erskine-hibby
25-05-2011, 08:14 AM
I've got loads of jambo mates....erm about 400,000:wink:

Jones28
25-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Only got a couple, wouldn't call them mates however, more like acquaintances

Aldo
25-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Have 2 really good Yam mates....both them and their families are Yams but are all good spuds.

They dont wear Mad Vlad coloured specks and fear the day things go pete tong

Keith_M
25-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Grüß Gott.

I think I've mentioned on here before but, anyway. I had an uncle that was a Yam. He and his whole family were both fanatical Yams and RC. The rest of my family were, kinda, CofS and fanatical Hibbies.

I'm not sure quite how that ties in with the Weegie OF concept of Hibs & Hearts just being their respective comrades in arms but there you go.

Should they have called us Fenians and, in return, we call them Orange so-and-sos? Now THAT would have been funny.

p.s. Hiberlin -Did you previously mention you were originally from Wallyford or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

basehibby
25-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I've got plenty of Jambo mates - it comes with living and working in the Edinburgh area really. Like it or not there's a lot of them about and if you ever get out of the house then you're going to bump into some of them now and again.

I reckon you'd have to be more than a bit sad to choose not to be friends with someone because you don't like the team they support anyway.

erin go bragh
25-05-2011, 12:02 PM
When hibs reformed in 1891, im sure we were the first non sectarian football team at that time .
ggtth

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2011, 12:37 PM
[/B]
Who's the Blacksheep then:panic:

Must be on yer otherside:wink:

Mums the word :wink:

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Not all of us:no way:

Both my old man and old dear are paper prods. Suppose if you look far enough back at your roots then we were all RC at some point. Me I'm a :devil:

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes I have plenty of jambo mates, as well as Hibs, Rangers, Celtic and many others. I don't often agree with a lot of their opinions on football, but it makes things more interesting. If I didn't have jambo mates to slag off after a derby win (or the more frequent occurance of them slagging me off after a derby defeat :rolleyes:) I honestly don't think I'd care nearly as much about the result. It's all about bragging rights, if that didn't exist football would just be like cricket.

I can't stand Hearts and the attitude of many of their supporters, but I think you need to leave the house occasionally and realise that most of them are alright really. If everyone agreed on everything the world would be a boring place, it would basically be hibs.net.

:rolleyes:

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Been Best Man at two weddings for jambo's! Always made me smile when I reminded them of this after the tied the knot :)

Not really that difficult to be the best man at a Jambo wedding is it? :wink:

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Grüß Gott.

I think I've mentioned on here before but, anyway. I had an uncle that was a Yam. He and his whole family were both fanatical Yams and RC. The rest of my family were, kinda, CofS and fanatical Hibbies.

I'm not sure quite how that ties in with the Weegie OF concept of Hibs & Hearts just being their respective comrades in arms but there you go.

Should they have called us Fenians and, in return, we call them Orange so-and-sos? Now THAT would have been funny.

p.s. Hiberlin -Did you previously mention you were originally from Wallyford or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

Aye, grew up in Wallyford. Do I know you?

hibsbollah
25-05-2011, 12:51 PM

I have a few jambo mates, and usually excuse them with the introduction 'hes a jambo but he/she's actually OK'. But in fact they always have some massive character flaw which comes to the surface eventually. There is just something strange about them. Sad but true.

darwenhibby
25-05-2011, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=darwenhibby;2812015]

Both my old man and old dear are paper prods. Suppose if you look far enough back at your roots then we were all RC at some point. Me I'm a :devil:

Me and baby sis were the first to break the Urq tradition.

Do you not remember one Halloween.

Grandad Grandad tell us a horror story.

Once a point a upon a time the Urqs let two grandkids be RC.

Now there are loads of them.

Still that side of the family are all green & white.

The Old mans side is split

Vini1875
25-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Don't know any jambos, so consequently no jambo mates. I have met jambos on my journeys but they tended to confirm all my worst prejudices about them. I am sure there are some good guys among them, just as with any support. However sound jambos tend to be hard to find.

Hibernia Na Eir
25-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I honestly dont have any Yam pals and im rather chuffed about that :greengrin

Like to keep my circle "clean".

iwasthere1972
25-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Jambo Mates

Thought this was a new line in the Hearts Club Shop. :doh:

The Harp
25-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I've several acquaintances who are Jambos but only one that I'd call a true friend. I'm Godfather to his son - although it was a Church of Scotland christening both Godparents were Catholic. Credit to my pal and his missus (both protestants) for that - and the fact that although he's a dyed in the wool Jambo, his laddie follows Celtic, and he's accepted it. :rolleyes:
If it was my laddie who had turned his back on his football heritage I don't think I'd be quite so understanding.

JE89
25-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Pretty pathetic to not be friends with somebody due to the football team they support. I have a fair few Jambo mates, all good guys who I enjoy banter with.

Although as an RBS customer I won't associate myself with anybody who uses another bank... :rolleyes:

RIP
25-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Do you also not have any Celtic or Rangers supporting mates either? I have quite a few Jambo mates who apart from when it comes to their team are good guys. Quite petty if someone wouldnt be mates with someone else just because of the colour of the team they support (even if it is a turd colour :wink:)

My wifes side of the family are all Jambo's and a mate from years ago who I played American football with a Rangers man, from ayrshire originally. Mates are mates no matter who they support, they can be from work,school socially, it matters not a jot as it's only football after all.

Honestly, the folk who refuse to be friends with nobody but folk who support the club they do are pathetic.

Got plenty mates / family that support Hearts, work with Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell and Partick Thistle fans. All of em top guys.

Couldn't care less what clubs anybody supports, it's not the be all and end all of how I define myself or anyone else. Unless of course they are your atypical asshole football fan, they I aint mates with them, and include a few Hibs fans I know on that score.

:agree:

The idea that you suddenly become a lesser being because you support team A or Team B :faf:

Rather talk to a fellow fitba fanatic anyday than a non-believer :greengrin

Houchy
25-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I've got a couple of pretty good jambo mates. When it comes to debating, we can have a fairly lengthy and well balanced debate although the maroon tinted specs soon get put on and that's the debate over. My Father in law however is a tit when it comes to talking about football and i'm sure if I asked him who was playing in the CL final on Saturday, he'd come out with some reason/excuse for Hearts not being there.

As I say, my mates and I have a mutual respect so that if we get beaten in a derby (and vice versa), we generally don't go overboard in the "one upmanship" as we know how much the other is hurting just from the result.

I also find it a bit sad that the OP says that he cant understand anyone being friends with a Jambo. Yes I strongly dispise them on derby days but that is forgotten the next day or day after that. I also wonder what the OP would do if he went out for a pint with a close workmate, then following a discussion he turned out to be a Hearts fan. "Waiter, bill please, I can't stay here another minute!!!"

DH1875
25-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't have any mates.

Me neither :boo hoo:. I've got an aunt who's a jambo though :sick:and I got to admit that she's one of my better relatives.

Bostonhibby
25-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Brother in Law is the only 1 remotely connected to me, absolute world authority on all things Yam, football and everything else generally. Loud mouthed roaster - Nearest he has been to the ground that I know of is when he sees it on telly when watching their games in the golf club. Absolute plum.

hibsbollah
25-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I have a fair few Jambo mates, all good guys who I enjoy banter with.

They'll all let you down at some point, given the opportunity.
Crows fly with other crows. You dont see eagles and crows being mates with each other. We should learn from nature:agree:

Keith_M
25-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Aye, grew up in Wallyford. Do I know you?

Not sure mate, I just noticed you said that before. You're also the same age as me.

I lived in Inchview Crescent. I went to Wallyford Primary from 1971-78 and MGS from 1978-82.

Strangely enough, my Missus is German, she's from Dresden.

JE89
25-05-2011, 06:02 PM
They'll all let you down at some point, given the opportunity.
Crows fly with other crows. You dont see eagles and crows being mates with each other. We should learn from nature:agree:

If they do I'll rip them open with my talons. :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
25-05-2011, 08:24 PM
No Jambo friends although I do have a few "maroon sheep" cousins on my dad's side and step-cousins on my mum's. Plenty banter when we meet up, the next meeting being a Hibee cousin's 50th in the Hibs Club on Friday night. I may see some of you there :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2011, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=Hiberlin;2812365]

Me and baby sis were the first to break the Urq tradition.

Do you not remember one Halloween.

Grandad Grandad tell us a horror story.

Once a point a upon a time the Urqs let two grandkids be RC.

Now there are loads of them.

Still that side of the family are all green & white.

The Old mans side is split

Like they say, you can't choose your family but you can choose who you knock about with. JUST SAY NO!

Hibrandenburg
25-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I've got a couple of pretty good jambo mates. When it comes to debating, we can have a fairly lengthy and well balanced debate although the maroon tinted specs soon get put on and that's the debate over. My Father in law however is a tit when it comes to talking about football and i'm sure if I asked him who was playing in the CL final on Saturday, he'd come out with some reason/excuse for Hearts not being there.

As I say, my mates and I have a mutual respect so that if we get beaten in a derby (and vice versa), we generally don't go overboard in the "one upmanship" as we know how much the other is hurting just from the result.

I also find it a bit sad that the OP says that he cant understand anyone being friends with a Jambo. Yes I strongly dispise them on derby days but that is forgotten the next day or day after that. I also wonder what the OP would do if he went out for a pint with a close workmate, then following a discussion he turned out to be a Hearts fan. "Waiter, bill please, I can't stay here another minute!!!"

I didn't say that, but now you come to mention it :greengrin

mim
25-05-2011, 09:04 PM
At 64 years old I have no Jambo friends and, as far as I know, have never had a Jambo friend.

I'm not sure what that says about me, other than the fact I don't mix with Jambos. :na na:

hibsbollah
25-05-2011, 09:09 PM
At 64 years old I have no Jambo friends and, as far as I know, have never had a Jambo friend.

I'm not sure what that says about me, other than the fact I don't mix with Jambos. :na na:

It does you credit, sir.

Hibernia Na Eir
25-05-2011, 09:12 PM

nice one!

to those above, i didnt say i hate Hearts fans, i just dont happen to have any and im chuffed about that :greengrin Best kept in the dustbin anyway.

Brads Laing
26-05-2011, 07:30 AM
My whole mums side are hearts fans, but i don't speak to them. I've got a couple of friends who are hearts fans but we stay clear of football talk, so i basically pretend they don't support the **** and everything is fine

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-05-2011, 07:41 AM
I honestly dont have any Yam pals

A few jambo acquaintances, but, none i'd call mates. Don't think i'm missing out on much!