PDA

View Full Version : Now the Dust has Settled

Wellbankhibby
24-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Just wanted other opinions and a Birds Eye view of some of our support on what is required to fix what was one of the best Football teams in british football and European football. I have followed Hibs since I was 8 years old and Im now 54 so have seen some very good teams some poor teams and some bad. In my opinion this season has been one of the worst if not the worst season I have ever witnessed. I have always watched hibs with interest and with excitement in our attacking flare and thought that any minute against any team we could score goals and romp to victory against the Old Firm and the Yams. Im afraid there is not much excitement now and I watch the team knowing we are going to struggle and probably lose against most teams. Finishing 10th in the league is a Disgrace for HIBERNIAN. F.C. and the players who wear the Jersey should be ashamed of themselves. I have read quite a few comments on this site about what a good job CC is doing for us, Im afraid I dont see that view. I dont see good tactics or additional plans if the team are struggling and when he is interviewed I really dont think he knowes what he is talking about. There are also rumours that he will be leaving soon and if thats the case its better he goes now. In the event that he stays I want to see some hardness in the team and flare, Stanton,Blackley, Brownlie, Sheidler, Cropley, O'Rourke, Edwards and Duncan all great players who wore the jersey with pride. Some comments highlighted on this site say certain players are not good enough for HIBS unfortunately almost anyone who has a bit of belief about themselves would be better that what we have. Can I ask everyone to get right behing the Manager whoever it is and ALL the players and new signings give them all a chance and 100% support in the coming season believe me as a team and a club we all need to pull together. :flag:

CropleyWasGod
24-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Just wanted other opinions and a Birds Eye view of some of our support on what is required to fix what was one of the best Football teams in british football and European football. I have followed Hibs since I was 8 years old and Im now 54 so have seen some very good teams some poor teams and some bad. In my opinion this season has been one of the worst if not the worst season I have ever witnessed. I have always watched hibs with interest and with excitement in our attacking flare and thought that any minute against any team we could score goals and romp to victory against the Old Firm and the Yams. Im afraid there is not much excitement now and I watch the team knowing we are going to struggle and probably lose against most teams. Finishing 10th in the league is a Disgrace for HIBERNIAN. F.C. and the players who wear the Jersey should be ashamed of themselves. I have read quite a few comments on this site about what a good job CC is doing for us, Im afraid I dont see that view. I dont see good tactics or additional plans if the team are struggling and when he is interviewed I really dont think he knowes what he is talking about. There are also rumours that he will be leaving soon and if thats the case its better he goes now. In the event that he stays I want to see some hardness in the team and flare, Stanton,Blackley, Brownlie, Sheidler, Cropley, O'Rourke, Edwards and Duncan all great players who wore the jersey with pride. Some comments highlighted on this site say certain players are not good enough for HIBS unfortunately almost anyone who has a bit of belief about themselves would be better that what we have. Can I ask everyone to get right behing the Manager whoever it is and ALL the players and new signings give them all a chance and 100% support in the coming season believe me as a team and a club we all need to pull together. :flag:

Why don't we sell ER, and move somewhere else?

Wembley67
24-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Purse strings have got to be seriously loosened to attract a better quality player, I think that's the ONLY way we will progress. No point on relying on youth coming through as once the break into the first team and are decent a team with bigger wages will come in.

We have to be realistic with wages but the question no one seems to have an answer to is 'what actual is realistic?'

greenlex
24-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Purse strings have got to be seriously loosened to attract a better quality player, I think that's the ONLY way we will progress. No point on relying on youth coming through as once the break into the first team and are decent a team with bigger wages will come in.

We have to be realistic with wages but the question no one seems to have an answer to is 'what actual is realistic?'

Realistic is being sustainable over a period of time. 5 years I would think. We have actually being run at a considerable loss for at least a couple of years so another two or three at that and you could see us going into decline.
Self sufficient and not racking up huge debt.
Simple really but not what fans want to hear.

Wembley67
24-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Realistic is being sustainable over a period of time. 5 years I would think. We have actually being run at a considerable loss for at least a couple of years so another two or three at that and you could see us going into decline.
Self sufficient and not racking up huge debt.
Simple really but not what fans want to hear.

It seems then we will have to rumble along as we are just now and hopefully we may fluke the odd season or until the less well run teams get into serious serious bother then only then may start to be the best of a bad bunch.

Or is that being a bit D&G????

Saorsa
24-05-2011, 07:25 PM
It seems then we will have to rumble along as we are just now and hopefully we may fluke the odd season or until the less well run teams get into serious serious bother then only then may start to be the best of a bad bunch.

Or is that being a bit D&G????If Hibs keep rumbling along the way they have over the last few seasons they'll be rumbling along in front of about 7,000 supporters.

greenlex
24-05-2011, 07:26 PM

Or is that being a bit D&G????

That's about the size if it. I hope the manager gets it right this season. This really is a biggie. A real make or break. With the ability to pay what we do while others will need to cut their cloth a bit allied to the fact we can bring together nearly a whole new squad with our blank canvass bodes well for me. Get it wrong and we could be back to the 90s as a club. Get it right and the sky's the limit.

madabouthibs
24-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I'd like to see what Calderwood can do over the course of a whole season. I think, going by our performance this season, a top six finish next season would do for me, and hopefully average crowds of at least 12000.
I like the way we're run, I love hearing of Yams and Huns struggling with finance and tax etc etc... especially Hertz because they've had relatively nil success for all they're expenditure, and they STILL don't have a decent stadium or permanent training facility! :na na:
We may have finished tenth, and we may be a bit pissed off about that, but at least we're not a laughing stock! :agree:

Ray_
24-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I'd like to see what Calderwood can do over the course of a whole season. I think, going by our performance this season, a top six finish next season would do for me, and hopefully average crowds of at least 12000.
I like the way we're run, I love hearing of Yams and Huns struggling with finance and tax etc etc... especially Hertz because they've had relatively nil success for all they're expenditure, and they STILL don't have a decent stadium or permanent training facility! :na na:
We may have finished tenth, and we may be a bit pissed off about that, but at least we're not a laughing stock! :agree:

The stadium may be fine & we have the training facilities, although heaven knows what we have been doing with them, because over the last three years, the standard of football we have been subjected to has been absolutely dire. I've watched the team since the sixties & have never seen it so bad.

zero-seven
24-05-2011, 08:34 PM
The stadium may be fine & we have the training facilities, although heaven knows what we have been doing with them, because over the last three years, the standard of football we have been subjected to has been absolutely dire. I've watched the team since the sixties & have never seen it so bad.

Totally agree..we have been subtected to sub standard football for as long as i can remember ( i am 50 now) with only a few highlights in this time..it is time to get a manager who knows the game, has a good idea as to how attractive skillful football should be played knows how to motivate and nurture, and can see talent..(thinking of Ned again ) we havent had a good forward thinking manager for years..and to stop buying first division players and jouneymen..that in itself speaks volumes as to where we are going with our team..buy first division, play like first division. GET THEM FIT AND HUNGRY TO PLAY FOR THIS JERSEY

Piqué
24-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Dont think the dust has settled just yet, the volcano is still erupting?

Speedway
24-05-2011, 09:11 PM

When fans don't show up, the only thing the board can loosen is their sphincters.

Wise fan say - no flair football, no benjamins.

So when the board can/won't invest and the fan can't/won't pay to put his arse on a seat in tough times, there's only one route - sell your best players and replace them with youth.

We don't have anyone to sell for another year or so and it's no coincidence that all of a sudden, Handling, Forster, Horner, Booth, Taggart and Smith have appeared in the first team squad.

I expect CC to pay big (for Hibs) money for a couple of players, call in favours left right and centre on loan deals and play kids because until the board find investment or the fans show up, there's no other way but down.

Kaiser1962
24-05-2011, 09:19 PM

Thats absolutely spot on although it pains me. I worry that we may have to go back to the very basics and do the simple things well. All the players are supposedly of a decent standard so you do have to wonder.

I would imagine there are a few coaches tearing their hair out.