PDA

View Full Version : French Open 2011

Sir David Gray
23-05-2011, 05:13 PM
The second Major of the season began yesterday in Paris and all the big names are there.

Yesterday was a low key start for the tournament with the highest seed in action being David Ferrer and he won in straight sets.

Today Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer were in first round action. Djokovic easily won his 40th consecutive match as he continues on his incredible run with a straight sets victory over Thiemo de Bakker.

Later on, Roger Federer had a slightly harder test against Feliciano Lopez but again the 16 time Grand Slam champion came through without dropping a set.

The biggest shock so far came in the match between number 6 seed, Thomas Berdych, and French qualifier Stephane Robert. Berdych won the first two sets but Robert came back to win 9-7 in the decider and knock out Berdych who got to the semi finals last year.

In the women's draw, the first British player to exit the tournament came with Anne Keothavong going down to Vesna Dolonts of Russia. Keothavong took the opening set but lost 6-3 6-7 4-6.

19 year old, Heather Watson, from Guernsey is playing just now in what is the first Grand Slam that she has actually appeared in, on merit (her only other Grand Slam appearance was last year at Wimbledon where she received a wild card.) after she came through qualifying last week.

Tomorrow sees Andy Murray start his French Open campaign and he will be on at 10am (BST) against Eric Prodon, another French qualifier.

Rafael Nadal also begins the defence of his title tomorrow and he will be on some time between 1.30pm-2pm against a potentially tough opponent in John Isner.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Andy Murray won today with a fairly straightforward victory over Eric Prodon. He won 6-4 6-1 6-3 in under 2 hours.

He will now play Italian Simone Bolelli in round two.

Defending champion Rafael Nadal came very close to going out in the opening round to American John Isner as he came from two sets to one behind to win in five sets.

Nadal eventually won 6-4 6-7 6-7 6-2 6-4 after a 4 hour match.

In the women's draw Elena Baltacha had a straight sets win against American Sloane Stephens to set up a second round tie against another American, Vania King.

Sir David Gray
25-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Win number 41 in a row came for Novak Djokovic this afternoon after his opponent, Victor Hanescu, retired hurt in the third set, two sets to love down. He is still on course to equal the record number of consecutive wins by winning the title at Roland Garros a week on Sunday.

He will now face his first real test of the tournament in the third round when he faces former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro, who is still recovering from various longstanding injuries.

Roger Federer is also through to round three after defeating Maxime Teixeira in straight sets. He also faces a potentially tricky match next against Janko Tipsarevic.

Tomorrow Andy Murray is second on court against Simone Bolelli, which will mean a start time of about 12pm (BST). Also on at a similar time will be Elena Baltacha as she faces Vania King.

Heather Watson is also in action tomorrow against Kaia Kanepi and she will be on around 2pm.

Rafael Nadal will be looking for an easier match than his opening round as he takes on fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar and he will be on about 2pm.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Very passive start by Murray, fortunately he has cancelled out the break straight away.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Murray wins set 1 (7-3) in a tie break
Murray takes set 2 6-4

Godsahibby
26-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I dont know if this is a new permanent thing or just for the Tennis but for those luck enough to have a 3D tv Eurosport now have a Eurosport 3D channel showing the tennis all day.

Had the tv for a while but first chance to enjoy sport on it, pretty amazing watching it in 3D.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Another straight sets win for Murray. Picked up an injury at the start of the 2nd set and started playing much more aggressively. If only he could do that all the time. The injury looked like a sore one, hopefully he is fully fit for his next match.

Greentinted
29-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Another straight sets win for Murray. Picked up an injury at the start of the 2nd set and started playing much more aggressively. If only he could do that all the time. The injury looked like a sore one, hopefully he is fully fit for his next match.
:agree:

Looked a real dull yin in the slo-mo replay, a bawhair fi snapping completely.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Murray comes from 2 sets down to level at 2 2 before the players were taken off due to bad light.
Murray v Troicki to conclude tomorrow.

Twiglet
30-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Murray comes from 2 sets down to level at 2 2 before the players were taken off due to bad light.
Murray v Troicki to conclude tomorrow.

I haven't seen any of this, did his ankle seem to bother him at all?
What do you think was the problem that put him 2 sets down?

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I think it mightve been bothering him mentally rather than physically. Towards the end of the evening he asked the doctor to remove the strapping from his ankle and then played better after that. If the match had ended tonight I think Murray wouldve been a certainty. The stoppage might give Troicki a glimmer of hope.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Murray comes back from 2 5 in the 5th to win 7 5!

Twiglet
31-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Got to say at 8 o'clock last night I thought Murray was out.
He really didn't make it easy for himself today though. I think his comeback from 5-2 down in the 5th shows that he has progressed, though undoubtedly it was a 2 way thing with Troicki losing it a bit.
The poor wee ball boy looked like he was going to cry after he'd run on. I think he thought Troicki was going to start shouting at him after he'd finished with the umpire.

He's got his quarter tomorrow, so no rest, but he's only lost to Chela once, the first time they played each other. They've met twice at RG and Murray won both. I hope that continues. Chela will give Murray a tough game, but if he's recovered I can see Murray winning.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Fingers crossed!

HibbyAndy
01-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Andy Murray doesnt know when he is beaten and gives absolute everything he has got for every single point!

Against Berrer in the 3rd round when he turned on his ankle he basically beat him standing on one leg, Unbelievable will to win he has.

I fully expect him to come through against Chela today and beat him for the 6th time on the troT and the 3rd time in a row versus Chela here in the French open. I predict he will lose to Rafa in the semi's who in turn will lose to Djokovic in the final after the Serb ousts Federer in the other Semi.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Murray match coming up next. Quite enjoyed the last few minutes of Sharapova's game, always a pleasure!

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Set 1 to Murray 7 6
Set 2 to Murray 7 5
Set 3 to Murray 6 2

HibbyAndy
01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Murray match coming up next. Quite enjoyed the last few minutes of Sharapova's game, always a pleasure!

She is chugging material :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Only if Ivanovic is busy ;->

HibbyAndy
01-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Only if Ivanovic is busy ;->

:greengrin

Sir David Gray
01-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Watching Murray is absolute torture.

I didn't see the first four sets against Troicki on Monday but I thought he was finished when he was two sets down.

Even in the fifth set yesterday, he looked dead and buried at 5-2 down but Troicki clearly choked under pressure and Murray did really well to turn things around.

Today, he looked as if he was going to lose the first set as he was 4-1 down and Chela had a set point but Murray again managed a comeback to win it in a tie-break.

In set two, he was cruising at 5-2 up but Chela came back to 5-5 but Murray managed to get through again, 7-5.

The final set was fairly straightforward as he took that 6-2.

He now plays Rafael Nadal in Friday's semi finals after he beat Robin Soderling and he will need to start a lot better against Nadal than he has been in virtually every match he's played in at this year's tournament.

If he begins the match like he did against Troicki and Chela, Nadal will take him to the cleaners and he won't be so lucky in making a comeback.

Personally I feel that he's gone as far as he can this year and Nadal will beat him fairly easily but he's done really well to get to the semis as it's now the best performance that he's ever had at the French Open.

I can't see past a Djokovic-Nadal final and I think Djokovic will win it. Some of the tennis that he has been playing in Paris this year has been on a different level to anything that I've seen for some time.

Sir David Gray
02-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Been confirmed by BBC that Murray-Nadal will be the first semi tomorrow, starting at 1pm British time.

Djokovic-Federer will follow, maybe around 4pm.

Li Na is into her first French Open final after she beat Maria Sharapova 6-4 7-5. She will play the winner of the other semi, about to start soon, between Marion Bartoli and defending champion Francesca Schiavone.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2011, 03:55 PM
FH, I doubt it matters how he starts, Nadal 3 0 for me, with Murray having to run himself into the ground.
Hope i'm wrong though!

HibbyAndy
02-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Murray HAS to get of to a flyer tomorrow. Andy Murray CAN beat Nadal, And you better believe he knows he can, He has massive self confidence in his own ability.

If Murray can do to Nadal what he did to Chela in the sense get the boy running about the court like a daftie, Get into Nadal Knees, Cause they are ****ed.

Andy Murray can beat Nadal, I personally dont think he will, But dont tell Andy Murray that, Nadal is not a machine on Clay like Soderling proved 2 years ago.

I fancy Djokovic to skelp Federer and beat Nadal in the final, All in all great tv for the weekend .

Sir David Gray
02-06-2011, 08:58 PM
FH, I doubt it matters how he starts, Nadal 3 0 for me, with Murray having to run himself into the ground.
Hope i'm wrong though!

I think Nadal will beat Murray tomorrow regardless of how well Murray plays but to give himself any chance at all then he absolutely must start the match well. If he starts like he did against Troicki and Chela and allows Nadal to get ahead of him in the early part of the match then it will be "Goodnight, Vienna".

I think he has a chance but I personally don't see him getting through.

Murray HAS to get of to a flyer tomorrow. Andy Murray CAN beat Nadal, And you better believe he knows he can, He has massive self confidence in his own ability.

If Murray can do to Nadal what he did to Chela in the sense get the boy running about the court like a daftie, Get into Nadal Knees, Cause they are ****ed.

Andy Murray can beat Nadal, I personally dont think he will, But dont tell Andy Murray that, Nadal is not a machine on Clay like Soderling proved 2 years ago.

I fancy Djokovic to skelp Federer and beat Nadal in the final, All in all great tv for the weekend .

The only shot that Murray has is the fact that the French Open have introduced faster balls this year which Nadal is not totally comfortable with. If Nadal plays anywhere near the top of his game tomorrow then it will be a straight sets job.

You're right to say that Nadal has lost at the French Open before (against Soderling in '09) but Nadal was not fully fit going into that match. If he's fit and on the top of his game, he is almost unbeatable at the French Open. I say 'almost' because Novak Djokovic is currently playing at a level that has barely been seen before and if he plays at the top of his game in the final against Nadal then Djokovic will beat him but he's about the only player that I would say that about.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Warm up just getting under way so the match will be starting in about 10 minutes.

Best of luck Andy! :aok:

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Early break for Nadal but Murray has started the match very positively. He's played well so far.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Nadal backs up the break but Murray had several chances of his own to break straight back.

3-1 Nadal but Murray is still looking confident. He's not out of this first set but I think he has to break Nadal soon.

easty
03-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Nadal backs up the break but Murray had several chances of his own to break straight back.

3-1 Nadal but Murray is still looking confident. He's not out of this first set but I think he has to break Nadal soon.

Sometime in one of Nadals next 3 service games I reckon. :wink:

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Poor service game from Murray, Nadal breaks again to go 4-1 up.

First set is gone, I would say and it's all of a sudden not looking good for Murray.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Murray gets one of the breaks back.

Murray is now serving at 5-3 down.

iwasthere1972
03-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Poor service game from Murray, Nadal breaks again to go 4-1 up.

First set is gone, I would say and it's all of a sudden not looking good for Murray.

It will take a miracle for Murray to get anything out of this match. He beats himself up too much and his body language is all wrong. Nadal not even playing anywhere near his best but still capable to winning all three sets.

Maybe a good idea for Murray is not to have his coaches or his family in the arena (or whatever you call it) as I think sometimes they can be a distraction.

5-3 Nadal with Murray to serve so still in it.

Hainan Hibs
03-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Murray 4 - 5 Nadal, he doesn't make it easy!

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Had his chances in that game, oh well 6 4 Nadal.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I feel Murray had to take the opening set but the way he came back at the end of that set will give him some encouragement. I don't think he's out of this match quite yet.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Another couple of huge opportunities for Murray to break to go 2-0 up but Murray struggles in the strong wind and Nadal holds to keep the score at 1-1 in the second set.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Great service game from Murray, 2-1 second set.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Horrible game by Murray. Nadal breaks to go 3-2 up. :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Murray breaks straight back though and it's back on serve at 3-3. :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
03-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Some incredible rallies in the conditions. Nadal is a complete animal however Murray is playing some amazing tennis.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Great play by Murray to get back from 4-3 down to 5-4 up.

Nadal will now serve to stay in the second set.

It's a brilliant response by Murray to losing the first set and being broken a couple of times in this set.

iwasthere1972
03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
5-4 Now finish him Andy. :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Oh well 5-5.

iwasthere1972
03-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Murray beating himself up. Twat

6-5 Nadal

I'm off to cut the grass.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Nadal breaks to go 6-5 up. Will come out to serve for the second set.

Murray's temper is starting to go a little bit which is a shame because up until now, he has managed to keep his emotions in check.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Nadal takes the second set 7-5.

The match is as good as finished now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Had his chances never converted enough break pts.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Nadal wins 6-4 7-5 6-4.

Good match by Nadal but Murray had the opportunities. So near and yet so far once again.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Federer 2 sets ahead 7 6 - 6 3, some match!

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Federer wins 7-6 6-3 3-6 7-6 in about 3 and a half hours.

I didn't see all of the match but what I did see was phenomenal, possibly the best match of 2011 so far.

Not only has Federer ended Djokovic's long unbeaten run (ironically Federer was the last person to beat Djokovic before the run started as well) but if Nadal goes on to win Sunday's final, Nadal will retain his world number one ranking against all the odds.

It just goes to show how great Roger Federer actually is. He is approaching 30 years of age, everyone thinks that he's over the hill and past his sell-by date, he hasn't even been in a Grand Slam final for over a year, never mind actually won one, he was playing Djokovic, on one of the best winning runs in the history of the game and most people didn't expect Federer to come through it.

And yet he manages to prove everyone wrong and he makes yet another Grand Slam final - the 23rd time that he has managed this in the last 32 Major tournaments in his extraordinary career.

The consistency that he has shown over the past eight or nine years has just been incredible. He's not quite got the air of invincibility which he had about four or five years ago but he's shown with this victory that he is far from washed up and past his sell-by date.

He may currently be the world number three but Roger Federer is undoubtedly the greatest player to ever pick up a tennis racquet.

hibsbollah
03-06-2011, 09:14 PM
(ironically Federer was the last person to beat Djokovic before the run started as well) t.

Thats not irony, its coincidence. Youve fallen for the worst commentator's cliche out there :-)

Sir David Gray
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Thats not irony, its coincidence. Youve fallen for the worst commentator's cliche out there :-)

Apologies. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
03-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Hope Feds wins the final.

He looks cute in his Scotland strip.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/107407-roger-federer-in-scotland-football-strip-mystery/

Sir David Gray
04-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Li Na became China's first ever tennis Grand Slam champion today after she defeated Francesca Schiavone in straight sets, 6-4 7-6, in the women's final of the French Open.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Men's final just beginning now.

Either on BBC2 or Eurosport.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2011, 01:26 PM
First break goes the way of Federer.

He leads 2-0 in the first set.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Nadal takes the first set 7-5 by winning five games in a row. Federer had a set point at 5-2 up.

Amazing comeback by Nadal.

JE89
05-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Nadal takes the first set 7-5 by winning five games in a row. Federer had a set point at 5-2 up.

Amazing comeback by Nadal.

Tie break in the second with Nadal 4-2 up
Flicking between this and the Welsh open - who needs football? :duck:

iwasthere1972
05-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Nadal 2 sets up. 7-5 7-6

Looks like it could be all over.

Been flicking between this and cutting my hedge. How long did rain delay play?

Sir David Gray
05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Nadal 2 sets up. 7-5 7-6

Looks like it could be all over.

Been flicking between this and cutting my hedge. How long did rain delay play?

Only by about 15 minutes.

I thought it might have helped Federer and it did seem that way but he played a pretty poor tie-break.

The match is effectively over now, which is a pity because Federer hasn't played that badly, it's just that Nadal has been so good, ever since he saved set point at 2-5 down in the first set.

HibbyAndy
05-06-2011, 04:57 PM
How horrible are the French crowd? Whistling and jeering every time a player looks down the line to see if the ball was in, The player has EVERY RIGHT to see if the ball was in or out.

Horrible horrible people that are ****ing arrogant and ignorant, All in my humble opinion ofcourse.

Sir David Gray
05-06-2011, 09:27 PM
How horrible are the French crowd? Whistling and jeering every time a player looks down the line to see if the ball was in, The player has EVERY RIGHT to see if the ball was in or out.

Horrible horrible people that are ****ing arrogant and ignorant, All in my humble opinion ofcourse.

You wouldn't get that at Wimbers, that's for sure. :agree:

Well done to Rafael Nadal for winning a record equalling 6th French Open title and also for winning his 10th Grand Slam title overall. He becomes only the 4th man in the Open Era to move into double figures for the number of Grand Slam titles won (the others being Roger Federer, Pete Sampras and Bjorn Borg).

When Federer took the 3rd set, it did look as if things were turning slightly but Nadal clearly turned on the class in the 4th set and never really looked like losing it after he saved break points in the opening game of the set.

He will now look to retain his Wimbledon title when it starts in a fortnight and win that for a 3rd time and become only the sixth man to do this in the Open Era.