PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool - Europa league?

Liam89
22-05-2011, 05:26 PM
With Fulham getting a red card today that means Blackpool are in for a Europa league spot due to the fair play rule. My question is, are Blackpool eligible for it even though they were relegated?

PeterboroHibee
22-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Birmingham qualify through the Carling Cup as well dont they?

Strange season when two of the clubs relegated will possibly be in the Europa League next season.

iwasthere1972
22-05-2011, 05:31 PM
With Fulham getting a red card today that means Blackpool are in for a Europa league spot due to the fair play rule. My question is, are Blackpool eligible for it even though they were relegated?

Zoltan Gera was only on the pitch a couple of minutes before he went in with a two footed challenge. Sparky didn't fancy managing on Thursday nights.

HibbyAndy
22-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Think of the dross that have Represented Scotland in the Uefa cup on the basis of reaching the Scottish cup final, Dunfermline. Ross County, Gretna to name a few.. No wonder the coefficient has ruined Scotland.

Im all for Scottish cup finalist getting sweet FA and teams finishing up higher in the league getting rewarded.

CropleyWasGod
22-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Zoltan Gera was only on the pitch a couple of minutes before he went in with a two footed challenge. Sparky didn't fancy managing on Thursday nights.

There were raised eyebrows in the SSN studio at that one too. Murmurings of ....:rolleyes: (content self-edited for fear of super injunctions).

iwasthere1972
22-05-2011, 06:08 PM
There were raised eyebrows in the SSN studio at that one too. Murmurings of ....:rolleyes: (content self-edited for fear of super injunctions).

Since 2004 up to before today's game.

Total appearances 190 (80 as sub) Goals 42; Yellow cards 26; Red cards 0

:wink:

Sergey
22-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Think of the dross that have Represented Scotland in the Uefa cup on the basis of reaching the Scottish cup final, Dunfermline. Ross County, Gretna to name a few.. No wonder the coefficient has ruined Scotland.

Im all for Scottish cup finalist getting sweet FA and teams finishing up higher in the league getting rewarded.

You can add QoS and Falkirk to that list.

Outside of the old firm, I'm struggling to recall a Scottish team winning a tie in Europe.

iwasthere1972
22-05-2011, 06:42 PM

They won't know until later this month.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1389768/Blackpool-set-land-Europa-League-spot-Fair-Play-League.html

sunshine1875
22-05-2011, 07:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Fair_Play_ranking

son of haggart
22-05-2011, 08:22 PM
You can add QoS and Falkirk to that list.

Outside of the old firm, I'm struggling to recall a Scottish team winning a tie in Europe.

I can think of one

Iggy Pope
22-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I can think of one

Motherwell?

lapsedhibee
22-05-2011, 08:34 PM
I can think of one

:agree: Dandy Dons reached group stages not so long ago, and they must have won a tie or two to get there.

Sas_The_Hibby
22-05-2011, 09:01 PM
:agree: Dandy Dons reached group stages not so long ago, and they must have won a tie or two to get there.

They moght have won one but I think they mainly drew their games and squeezed through - still miles better than we've done, mind you!

Sas_The_Hibby
22-05-2011, 09:02 PM

The dross - two out of three of whom had beaten us......................

Sas_The_Hibby
22-05-2011, 09:03 PM
The fair Play League is a piece of nonsense, by the way!

HibbyAndy
22-05-2011, 09:09 PM
The dross - two out of three of whom had beaten us......................

Correct, Id still regard them as dross though.

HibbyAndy
22-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I can think of one

Me tae.

Hibernian 2 AEK Athens 0

sesoim
23-05-2011, 01:37 AM
They moght have won one but I think they mainly drew their games and squeezed through - still miles better than we've done, mind you!

Aberdeen made a couple of million through that run, and they barely won a game. That's £40k a week extra for wages - imagine what we could do with that if we were regularly qualifying for the group stages. And beating the odd Eastern European and part-time Scandinavian team shouldn't really be beyond us, should it?

LancashireHibby
23-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Aberdeen made a couple of million through that run, and they barely won a game. That's £40k a week extra for wages - imagine what we could do with that if we were regularly qualifying for the group stages. And beating the odd Eastern European and part-time Scandinavian team shouldn't really be beyond us, should it?

I think the Maribor game showed us that we shouldn't underestimate the Eastern Europeans.

Bristolhibby
23-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I think the Maribor game showed us that we shouldn't underestimate the Eastern Europeans.

I think as fans we have an over inflated ego about where we are in European Football.

Think Maribor, Odense, Dnipro, (Vetra? IIRC).

We are just as keech as Gretna, Falkirk, QotS, etc.

As much as it pains me, the only two teams I can think of who have got anywhere in Europe are Aberdeen and Them.

J

LancashireHibby
23-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I think as fans we have an over inflated ego about where we are in European Football.

Think Maribor, Odense, Dnipro, (Vetra? IIRC).

We are just as keech as Gretna, Falkirk, QotS, etc.

As much as it pains me, the only two teams I can think of who have got anywhere in Europe are Aberdeen and Them.

J

Had completely erased Dnipro from my memory! Strictly speaking Odense aren't in the Eastern European bracket, but I agree that the Danish league is a reputedly weaker league in many people's eyes, yet they quite often seem to be represented in the group stages of both the CL and EL?