PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best Hibs player you have seen play?

sunshine1875
21-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Think back to all the Hibs players you have seen - which player consistently performed at a level that is good for Hibs?

Based on my time watching Hibs since the mid-80's, it has to be either Latapy or Sauzee. I have to go for Latapy as he did little wrong when I watched him and could score a goal out of nothing.

So which player would you name and why?

Sammy7nil
21-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Think back to all the Hibs players you have seen - which player consistently performed at a level that is good for Hibs?

Based on my time watching Hibs since the mid-80's, it has to be either Latapy or Sauzee. I have to go for Latapy as he did little wrong when I watched him and could score a goal out of nothing.

Latapy was great but for me it has to be John Collins for someone so young he was a Standout in an otherwise average team.

I did watch the Tornadoes but I was young I remember Alex Edwards was very good but a bit mad and after TT's Ally McLeod deserves a mention.

HNA6
21-05-2011, 07:44 PM

So which player would you name and why?Sauzee..closely followed by the late great Shades ..:agree:

H18sry
21-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Even tho he was over the hill George Best was something special :agree:

IWasThere2016
1. Stanton (miles ahead of the rest)

2. Sauzee

3. O'Rourke

Holmesdale Hibs
First game was in '86 so 1) Andy Goram 2) Russell Latapy 3) David Murphy 4) Scott Brown 5) Frank Sauzee

cad
21-05-2011, 07:50 PM
John Blackley. for me was better than anybody ,closely followed by Wee Eck

Willie Hamilton,

I didnt see but the older guys said you will never see a better footballer than Hamilton and that included my choice plus Franc , Russell, Brownlie The Baker Boy Gordon Smith and George Best

hibsbollah
21-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Best has to be a candidate but didnt really bring his best game with him (but he wouldnt have been at hibs if he had).

So its Sauzee.

stoneyburn hibs
21-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Latapy was great but for me it has to be John Collins for someone so young he was a Standout in an otherwise average team.

I did watch the Tornadoes but I was young I remember Alex Edwards was very good but a bit mad and after TT's Ally McLeod deserves a mention.

collins , my first hibs hero as 12/13 year old, used to also like durie

Sherlock Jones
21-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Pat Stanton and Jimmy O'Rourke head and shoulders above several more candidates for me. Hibs men who still love the club.

Sammy7nil
21-05-2011, 07:53 PM
collins , my first hibs hero as 12/13 year old, used to also like durie

Jukebox and Cowan great pairing :thumbsup:

stoneyburn hibs
21-05-2011, 07:57 PM

they were indeed, for me durie like collins always gave 110%

AlbertK86
21-05-2011, 08:13 PM
1. Sauzee - oozed class in midfield and even better at sweeper where he made Smith and Fenwick look like they could stop anything thrown at them. Greatest by far. Wish he had a younger clone that could step into the breach and do the same for Stephens and Hanlon

2. Russell latapy - Simply a magician and for that goal in the 6-2

3. John Collins - played football with flair and great footballing brains. Still think JC could have been a great manager if ROD hadnae sided with the players behind his back. Man of principle who had the guts to tell Rod to stuff it after going back on his promise to re-invest the money he wa about to get for David Murphy

4. Goram - Unbeatable at times. Wonder saves 5 x a game in a ****** team. Never got recognition he should have until he moved to the current buns and it was time for the west coast to realise he was the best keeper Scotland ever had

5. Stevie Archibald - Even though he was near the end of his career he was miles ahead of everybody on the pitch. The only player in the Hibs team able to read what he was doing at the same speed of thought as him was Johnny Collins. I never appreciated how good he was until I saw him play in the flesh. TV never showed how good he was on and off the ball

6. Albert KIDD - couldnae resist !!!!

7. (-0) Turnbulls Tornados - 1st of January 1973 !!!

Biggie
21-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Stanton, Alan Gordon, O'Rourke and shades...can't split them..oh aye, Cropley...and Edwards.....:greengrin

Jonnyboy
21-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Pat Stanton by a country mile :agree:

SteveHFC
21-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Sauzee or Luna.

givescotlandfreedom
21-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Had this discussion with a mate a wee while back.
That I've seen:

1: Sauzee
2: Latapy
3: Leighton
4: Michael O'Neill

sunshine1875
21-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Quite a few saying Collins. I agree he was a great player. After Latapy and Sauzee, he was my next.

I still recall a game against Rangers - midweek game IIRC. Collins got the ball, deep in midfield and was robustly challenged two or three times, but each time Collins came away with the ball. Having gone from deep right up to wide left, he then past it on to our left sided player, only for that player not being on the same wavelength and the ball trundles aimlessly over the line. I knew then that Collins was for too good for that Hibs team.

Which is probably why I did not mention him earlier. A very good player in a poor Hibs team, but not as effective as Latapy.

JE89
21-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Sauzee, Latapy and always rated Murphy, Brown and Thomson. Deek has had some special moments too. All things considered it has to be Sauzee though

PapillonVert
21-05-2011, 08:33 PM
King Paddy.

Honourable mentions to:

Alex Edwards
Jimmy O'Rourke
John Blackley
Le Roi Sauzée

eastmainsmsh
21-05-2011, 08:36 PM
1 Sauzee

2 Collins

3 Latapy

4 Archibald

5 Weir

down the slope
21-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Giving my age away here but i can just remember Joe Baker , an utter goal machine that you will never see the likes of again , check the stats. He would have to be closely followed by Willie Hamilton then Stanton for a level of play week in week out that never fell less than bloody good.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Alex Cropley

smurf
21-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Franck Sauzee.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Goram, Collins, Sauzee & Latapy in no particular order.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2011, 09:11 PM

If you are of a certain vintage, that cant be argued with, even though neither reached my top 4!

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2011, 09:16 PM
He wouldnt reach my stars of Hibs, but, when i was young and my daddy took me down to Easter Road, I think Ally McLeod was my first hibs hero, funny im a fat git now too!

Torto7062
21-05-2011, 09:18 PM
in my time easy

Sir Frank.

the man ooooooooooozed class :not worth

i wish i had seen famous five etc

Cameron1875
21-05-2011, 09:24 PM
:sauzee:

hibee1994
21-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Being young, i never saw most of the greats. So based on players i actually saw perform, i would go for David Murphy or Sauzee :sauzee:, who i think i saw once during his hibs playing career. Even got a treasure of Sauzee's autograph :deal: on a vs rangers programme during his managerial spell.

DroitwichHibs
21-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Pat Stanton.

Dan Sarf
21-05-2011, 09:30 PM
1. Gordon Smith. It's not romanticising the past. He was the most elegant, talented and ruthless player ever. Ever.

2. Joe Baker. Lightning in football boots.

After that, I moved to Dublin then London so there's a big gap in my Hibs knowledge.

3. Latapy and Sauzee. Couldn't believe how good they were when I came home for a short while.

zero-seven
21-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Sir Patrick of Stanton
Le God
Brownlie
Best
Baker
Latapy
Edwards
Blackley
Murphmeister
Cormack
Shades
to name but a few...we can dream that we can have this quality again..looking at this list it seems the majority are home grown talent

son of haggart
21-05-2011, 09:45 PM
alex edwards

matty_f
21-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Sauzee, then Latapy. Think Archibald was different class too, and Goram was a world class goalkeeper as well.

IberianHibernian
21-05-2011, 10:25 PM
For me definitely King Paddy . He was great in midfield and defence and scored a few great goals . We haven`t had a leader like him since then and probably never will . Shame his time coincided with great Celtic team since he should have won more with us . Surprised noone`s mentioned Brownlie since pre legbreak he was a fantastic attacking full back and Cropley was also a great player . Would certainly not include Best in any list and I think I saw almost all of his matches for us home and away though obviously his class was obvious . Sauzee was the only player to get near Stanton in terms of being a class player for us - would love manager to have vision , opportunity and money to look for a class act like that again for us next season - unlikely since we seem to limit signings to clubs in Scotland and England . Only possibility would be to look at young players from elsewhere in Europe or beyond who might be available on loan from big clubs or for short contracts while they learn English and look for bigger clubs but not sure that our scouting network is on that level .

calumhibee1
Sauzee by a distance and then Latapy by a mile. Then Murphy. :agree:

down-the-slope
1. Sauzee - oozed class in midfield and even better at sweeper where he made Smith and Fenwick look like they could stop anything thrown at them. Greatest by far. Wish he had a younger clone that could step into the breach and do the same for Stephens and Hanlon

2. Russell latapy - Simply a magician and for that goal in the 6-2

3. John Collins - played football with flair and great footballing brains. Still think JC could have been a great manager if ROD hadnae sided with the players behind his back. Man of principle who had the guts to tell Rod to stuff it after going back on his promise to re-invest the money he wa about to get for David Murphy

4. Goram - Unbeatable at times. Wonder saves 5 x a game in a ****** team. Never got recognition he should have until he moved to the current buns and it was time for the west coast to realise he was the best keeper Scotland ever had

5. Stevie Archibald - Even though he was near the end of his career he was miles ahead of everybody on the pitch. The only player in the Hibs team able to read what he was doing at the same speed of thought as him was Johnny Collins. I never appreciated how good he was until I saw him play in the flesh. TV never showed how good he was on and off the ball

6. Albert KIDD - couldnae resist !!!!

7. (-0) Turnbulls Tornados - 1st of January 1973 !!!

But 6 & & would be Durie & Keith Wright respectivley

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Am i allowed to say G Best isnt worth a mention? Big name? yes, top Hibs man, not quite.

hibee_95
21-05-2011, 10:32 PM
nish

hibb1
21-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Le god
Latapy
Goram
Broony
ivan(nvr forget ibrox)
No in the same class but favs when a was a kid weir n keith keith oh and mikey o'neill

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Sauzee..closely followed by the late great Shades ..:agree:

Blackley and Stanton just pip Sauzee for me.

I remeber Schaedler tackling someone, leaving him in a heap on the floor, then walking over him. Cant remember who it was though?

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Only from mid 80s onwards.

Franck Sauzee - Class player, Hibs won't attract a player of his quality ever again.

Russel Latapy - Genuis - 6th goal v Yams was inspirational

John Collins - Gifted player. Scored cracking goal v Celtic at Parkhead, when the ball was glued to his foot, mudded pitch at Parkhead from half way line, superb goal.

Andy Goram - Inspirational goalkeeper. Performance at Tynie when we lost 3-1 (should have been 10-1) best goalkeeping ever display ever!!

Steve Archibald - Streets ahead of anybody else at the time. Hopefully we can sign another player from Barca soon...

hibsfan7
22-05-2011, 12:46 AM
PAT STANTON

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Bad Martini
22-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Am i allowed to say G Best isnt worth a mention? Big name? yes, top Hibs man, not quite.

According to many who seen him play for HIBS (and not others) yer assessment is spot on.

****ing great fitba player; no doubt. Great player for Hibs, nah. Drink money only.

Theres many lesser players who have given far more, I'd wager. :agree:

Russ
22-05-2011, 04:40 AM
1. Stanton (miles ahead of the rest)

2. Sauzee

3. O'Rourke

I agree about Stanton, classiest player at ER in my generation and since.

KiddA
22-05-2011, 04:55 AM

1. Goram
2.Sauzee
3. Latapy

It was a hard one to call between Goram and Sauzee but when I was growing up Andy Goram was my hero and he was electric when he played for Hibs :agree: just a shame he when to the huns :boo hoo:

ronaldo7
22-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Sir Patrick
Sloop John B
Sodjer
Wee eck
Jimmy O
A Gordon for me
Onion
Le God
The T&T Trickster
Two Andy Gorams

Bostonhibby
22-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Pat Stanton by a long way

Then Jimmy O'rourke, Alex Cropley John Brownlie, Alex Edwards and Erich Schaedler 2nd equal for different reasons that I can't split out.

whereswallace?
22-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Without a doubt Sauzee for me, everything he done just seemed so easy and effortless. The man was a class act and i will never see a player like that at Hibs again.

Ray_
22-05-2011, 10:44 AM
:thumbsup:
Pat Stanton by a country mile :agree:

Craig_in_Prague
22-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Best players I've seen:
1) Latapy
2) Sauzee
3) Goram

Huge soft spot and players I liked:
1) Keith Wright
2) John O'Neil
3) David Murphy

Was a little young to remember Collins otherwise he'd be in the best players list.
Leighton was oustanding but his kicking that kept going out of the pitch around half way line bugged me, as well as being nut megged in the cup game against the yams. Jackson was good for us too, but he ended up in a hoops top and even worse, a maroon one.

To think of the tosh we have had to watch the last 3years, is really depressing.

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Collins, Sauzee, Latapy, Goram, O'Neill, Crunchie, Wright, Murphy, Riordan.

whiskyhibby
22-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Sir Pat or Alex Edwards..................:top marks

erin go bragh
22-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Best ive seen , sauzee , then id say john collins joint 2nd with the latapy fellow and steve archibald . joint 3rd , mickey weir, crunchie,jukebox,broonie,deeks,keith wright,
fletcher,garry o,beastie,murphy,gorum,,harper,leighton,laurson and boozy before he got that injury.
:flag:
ggtth

J-C
22-05-2011, 12:09 PM
My god how can you choose just one.
Brownlie
Stanton
Cropley
Best
Sauzee
Latapy

Scouse Hibee
22-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Hibs player Sauzee

In a Hibs shirt Dalglish :greengrin

LeithBoozy
22-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Pat stanton a tie with Joe Baker, Le God at his peak might make it a treble. That gives you a clue just how good the first two were. :not worth

jdships
22-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately the answers are all down to the age of the poster :greengrin

For me there is only one candidate
Gordon Smith
Having said that there was Joe Baker, Sauzee, Stanton et al who rate a mention

As the saying goes " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder "
:flag:

nonshinyfinish
22-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Franck.

Cocaine&Caviar
22-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Zemmama, Riordan, Fletcher & Brown

Hank Schrader
22-05-2011, 12:57 PM
1) Latapy - I rank him before Sauzee just for the amount of skill and technical ability he had. A man who could turn a game on its head with a moment of magic. The way he ripped Hearts in the Millenium Derby and 6-2 game was a joy to behold and something I will never forget.

2) Sauzee - Pure class, on and off the field. Cultured, steady and with great vision and ability. He loved the club and the fans. Never lost against the Jambos. I still sometimes find it amazing that a man who won and the biggest club competition in the world joined Hibs whilst in the 1st Division still at the peak of his powers at 32.

3) David Murphy - Mowbrays best signing in my opinion. Reliable and great going forward as well as in defence. If he had that extra yard of pace we would never have seen this guy in a Hibs jersey, he would have been too busy showing Ashley Cole what its like to be Englands number one left back.

thebakerboy
22-05-2011, 05:45 PM
From all the different generations I've watched Gordon Smith Joe Baker Pat Stanton John Collins Andy Goram Frank Sauzee but the best I have ever seen I would say that nobody could do some of the things that Willie Hamilton did on the football park , just a shame his head was on backwards when he came off the park.

HibbyAndy
22-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Goram
Sauzee
Latapy
Riordan
Mcginlay
Archibald

In what ever order you want.

CropleyWasGod
22-05-2011, 05:50 PM
<---------------------------Him.

iwasthere1972
22-05-2011, 06:15 PM
To close to call so between

Brownlie
Cropley
O'Rourke
Stanton
Edwards

Marinello would have been up there as well if he didn't disappear quicker than Shergar and Lord Lucan.

new malkyhib
22-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Goram, Sauzee, Stanton, McNamara, Latapy, Archibald, Collins, Ally McLeod, Brownlie, Paatelanien, Best.

Not many defenders there, but who cares?

Manager: Alex McLeish

ancient hibee
22-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Gordon Smith

Surprised some of my fellow old codgers haven't said Lawrie Reilly(class AND determination)

Joe Baker

Willie Hamilton

Pat Stanton

Neil Martin

Afraid George Best would struggle to get in the top 50-he only looked good because he was surrounded by mostly dross-his legs had gone.

S.sct
22-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Benny.....he had it all skill, commitment and the looks of a film star.....

On the other hand Franck, Latapy, JC and Leighton were jolly good players.

leithsansiro
22-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Joe Tortolano
Greg Miller
David Farrell
Eduardo Hurtado

All of them, and many more, couldn't compare to the class of Sauzee. One of a kind.

Hibrandenburg
22-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Best all round player would be King Paddy. But will always have a soft spot for Ally McLeod, he just seemed to move in slow motion leaving much faster and fitter players in his wake like a sort of Ninja Hippo.

Franck Stanton
22-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Really hard question, so ......in no particular order.....

Pat Stanton

Franck Sauzee

Erich Schadler

Peter Cormack

John Connolly

Joe Baker

Jackie Macnamara [snr]

Alex " Mickey " Edwards [Still the best un-capped player Scoyland EVER produced]

Russell Latapy

So many more but will call a halt.

{The BEST however, was, without doubt..........St Patrick Stanton}

Lucius Apuleius
22-05-2011, 08:40 PM
God.

bournehibby
22-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Gordon Smith

Surprised some of my fellow old codgers haven't said Lawrie Reilly(class AND determination)

Joe Baker

Willie Hamilton

Pat Stanton

Neil Martin

Afraid George Best would struggle to get in the top 50-he only looked good because he was surrounded by mostly dross-his legs had gone.

Sadly, never saw Gordon Smith in a Hibs jersey. The other four listed were the best I did get to see (would perhaps add in Jimmy O')

marinello59
22-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I saw Joe Baker for all of ten minutes in a pre-season friendly against Elgin City. So I'll say him.
Otherwise Pat Stanton.

Macaroon
22-05-2011, 09:15 PM
As i haven't exactly witnessed the hibs at their best (I don't really remember the Sauzee days at all, although i was there) i cant really pick out of the biggest bunch of "players"

So for me it would have to be Brown, sheer creative genius and an electric right foot on him. For sheer moments of spontaneous class though, i would say Deeks in his first spell. I still remember watching him cut in from the right hand side against the yams, take the big touch and unleash the absolute missile into Gordon's far corner from thirty five yards. I also remember crying because i got such a fright from the scream of jubilation that followed. (I was only 5 or there abouts in my defence :na na:)

HibbyAndy
22-05-2011, 09:21 PM
As i haven't exactly witnessed the hibs at their best (I don't really remember the Sauzee days at all, although i was there) i cant really pick out of the biggest bunch of "players"

So for me it would have to be Brown, sheer creative genius and an electric right foot on him. For sheer moments of spontaneous class though, i would say Deeks in his first spell. I still remember watching him cut in from the right hand side against the yams, take the big touch and unleash the absolute missile into Gordon's far corner from thirty five yards. I also remember crying because i got such a fright from the scream of jubilation that followed. (I was only 5 or there abouts in my defence :na na:)

The best goal i have ever seen at Easter Road..East Terracing was bouncing when that went in ..Absolute screamer.

DC_Hibs
22-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Agree with the Paco Luna shout. 8 goals in 43 games means his contribution to our great club should never be underestimated.

Thanks for posting Paco.

Sammy7nil
22-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I have already posted but surprised no has mentioned Marinello ? I cant really remember him to be honest.