PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Taking Fans for Mugs?

Boris
21-05-2011, 01:58 PM
The Hibs official website has for me been dropping in standards since whoever it is that puts it altogether now took over from the dedicated Hibees that did it previously. I did write to the club earlier in the season about it - specifically about it not even listing all the games we'd played this season (starts off with Blackpool) - but was just fobbed off with an answer that if the match wasn't covered by Associated Press they couldn't upload details. Anyway, leaving that aside I have to say that 3 announcements this week on the site have made me wondering if they think that we'll swallow any old crap they stick on the site:

1) Ivan Sproule: May or may not turn out to be a good signing - I'm keeping my fingers crossed but 4 years slower & now in a team without the calibre of player who could find him with a pass first time round - Scott Brown, Kevin Thompson, Boozie - I've got my doubts. But do they seriously expect us to swallow that we signed him cos CC was "impressed with his performances over the past few years"? Sure wasn't on the handful of performances he could have seen him over the last year or so with Yeovil & Notts County.

2) Derek Adams: Manager leaves post to become assistant manager then returns to same club as manager less than a year later. Just doesn't add up at all. Seems to me to back up the stories about him not being CC's choice in the first place.

3) New Home strip: Leaving aside using 2 shades of green you have to laugh at the "doon the slope motif" being "unique to the club". The design is an exact copy of Spurs home top from last season & I'm pretty sure White Hart Lane ain't got no slope.

Depressing.

Beefster
21-05-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm no Board apologist but I think you're being a bit harsh. All organisations sugar-coat news and keep certain things confidential.

Calderwood would have been aware of Sproule having managed and assisted in the Championship.

Obviously, there is more to Adams' situation but does it really matter? It may be private or just a personality thing.

The strip is hideous but they do have an obligation to their finances to market it properly.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 03:15 PM
They don't even have the Maribor matches listed in the fixtures.....

Ivan Sproule, I am sure this is not a CC signing. In a press conference last week, he was asked about 3 or 4 players coming in, to which he replied Hibs are about to sign IS.... Should it not have been we or I are about to sign IS....This is definitely not his signing.....

Adams was appointed by the Board, CC had never even heard of him or spoke to him prior to the appointment. I thought DA was a certainty to step up if CC left, but it never worked out....CC should have had his chance to bring in his own choice of assistant.....

blackpoolhibs
21-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Ivan Sproule, I am sure this is not a CC signing. In a press conference last week, he was asked about 3 or 4 players coming in, to which he replied Hibs are about to sign IS.... Should it not have been we or I are about to sign IS....This is definitely not his signing.....Adams was appointed by the Board, CC had never even heard of him or spoke to him prior to the appointment. I thought DA was a certainty to step up if CC left, but it never worked out....CC should have had his chance to bring in his own choice of assistant.....

TFFT, its about time we copied whats been going on at tynecastle since Vlad arrived.

lyonhibs
21-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Ivan Sproule, I am sure this is not a CC signing. In a press conference last week, he was asked about 3 or 4 players coming in, to which he replied Hibs are about to sign IS.... Should it not have been we or I are about to sign IS....This is definitely not his signing.....

Adams was appointed by theBoard, CC had never even heard of him or spoke to him prior to the appointment. I thought DA was a certainty to step up if CC left, but it never worked out....CC should have had his chance to bring in his own choice of assistant.....

That's a massive leap of faith to say that, based on some fairly subjective analysis of a "missing" (in your opinion) word that CC didn't say in an interiew.

If the board have gone above his head on Ivan and Derek Adams, then a man with any professional pride (i.e. not anyone associated with Hearts, for example) would have walked by now.

nonshinyfinish
21-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Adams was appointed by the Board, CC had never even heard of him or spoke to him prior to the appointment. I thought DA was a certainty to step up if CC left, but it never worked out....CC should have had his chance to bring in his own choice of assistant.....

So if I say 'Hibs are playing Raith Rovers on Saturday' rather than 'we're playing Raith Rovers on Saturday', that means I'm not a Hibs fan?

Reading just a little too much into it I think...

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 03:28 PM
TFFT, its about time we copied whats been going on at tynecastle since Vlad arrived.

What is TFFT?

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 03:29 PM
That's a massive leap of faith to say that, based on some fairly subjective analysis of a "missing" (in your opinion) word that CC didn't say in an interiew.

If the board have gone above his head on Ivan and Derek Adams, then a man with any professional pride (i.e. not anyone associated with Hearts, for example) would have walked by now.

Adams is already gone, CC is meant to have spoken to Swindon about their vacancy prior to Di Canio being offered post

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 03:30 PM
So if I say 'Hibs are playing Raith Rovers on Saturday' rather than 'we're playing Raith Rovers on Saturday', that means I'm not a Hibs fan?

Reading just a little too much into it I think...

Maybe, but I have heard IS is a board signing, time will tell....

This is what I was told of course, it may be right, it may be wrong, but makes for good conversation nonetheless

blackpoolhibs
21-05-2011, 03:33 PM
What is TFFT?

Think about it. :wink:

nonshinyfinish
21-05-2011, 03:34 PM
That Fandan Fondles Trees...obvious really.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Think about it. :wink:

Got it, I never knew you swore G?:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
21-05-2011, 03:47 PM
The official site is a bit pants. For instance I can never seem to be able to find out what time behind the goals opens for early sunday kick offs etc.

Having said that I suppose they have to put a positive spin on stuff I mean they aint going to put 'The board sign I.S.' or Puma have told us to use the same strip as Spurs, like it or lump it, are they.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-05-2011, 04:01 PM
PR at Easter Road has always been lousy, so is the website and so is the total lack of any information from a board member unless pressure by the fans or media makes them come out and speak, I don't know why we are like that but have always maintained that those at the top of the tree treat supporters like little children, sheep even, don't think this will change in the immediate future.

Ivan?, welcome home son, you really are the only decent signing we have made in years,

That is all

:rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 04:03 PM
PR at Easter Road has always been lousy, so is the website and so is the total lack of any information from a board member unless pressure by the fans or media makes them come out and speak, I don't know why we are like that but have always maintained that those at the top of the tree treat supporters like little children, sheep even, don't think this will change in the immediate future.

Ivan?, welcome home son, you really are the only decent signing we have made in years,That is all

Stokes?

silverhibee
21-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Ivan?, welcome home son, you really are the only decent signing we have made in years,That is all

Riordan. :rolleyes: :greengrin :aok:

Iggy Pope
21-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Adams is already gone, CC is meant to have spoken to Swindon about their vacancy prior to Di Canio being offered post

What does this mean? Meant to have? Someone told you this? Who?

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 04:25 PM

Absolutely. CC may or may not be the answer but thats an aside. We are assuming that he is weak and is prepared to be pushed about and bullied.

I asked someone who knew him about this aspect of his personality before. I think they're still laughing.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 04:35 PM
What does this mean? Meant to have? Someone told you this? Who?

Come on HH do you think I am going to tell you who told me:faf:

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Come on HH do you think I am going to tell you who told me:faf:

Then it wouldnt have been "meant to have" it would have been "had".

BEEJ
21-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Just downed tools and left his job, you mean? With no other job to step into immediately?

Would you run the risk of going unpaid for a few months on a point of principle?

The Falcon
21-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Just downed tools and left his job, you mean? With no other job to step into immediately?

Would you run the risk of going unpaid for a few months on a point of principle?

I think he might actually do much more than that.

By all accounts he would be unlikely to starve if he went unpaid for a while either.

hibs0666
21-05-2011, 05:48 PM
The Hibs official website has for me been dropping in standards since whoever it is that puts it altogether now took over from the dedicated Hibees that did it previously. I did write to the club earlier in the season about it - specifically about it not even listing all the games we'd played this season (starts off with Blackpool) - but was just fobbed off with an answer that if the match wasn't covered by Associated Press they couldn't upload details. Anyway, leaving that aside I have to say that 3 announcements this week on the site have made me wondering if they think that we'll swallow any old crap they stick on the site:

1) Ivan Sproule: May or may not turn out to be a good signing - I'm keeping my fingers crossed but 4 years slower & now in a team without the calibre of player who could find him with a pass first time round - Scott Brown, Kevin Thompson, Boozie - I've got my doubts. But do they seriously expect us to swallow that we signed him cos CC was "impressed with his performances over the past few years"? Sure wasn't on the handful of performances he could have seen him over the last year or so with Yeovil & Notts County.

Good signing - great to have him back, and CC will have had around 29 opportunities to watch Ivan play in the past year, not the handful you mention.

2) Derek Adams: Manager leaves post to become assistant manager then returns to same club as manager less than a year later. Just doesn't add up at all. Seems to me to back up the stories about him not being CC's choice in the first place.

He's gone - so what?

3) New Home strip: Leaving aside using 2 shades of green you have to laugh at the "doon the slope motif" being "unique to the club". The design is an exact copy of Spurs home top from last season & I'm pretty sure White Hart Lane ain't got no slope.

I hate the strip, but all Hibs is doing is trying to flog the thing. If you, like me, don't like it then don't buy it - end of story.[/QUOTE]

Depressing.

Hardly.

Sergio sledge
21-05-2011, 05:56 PM

What a load of rubbish masquerading as informed opinion.

Sproule signing was the boards signing based on one word in one interview and ignoring the many other words in other interviews.

Adams was a board appointment - seems strange that you completely ignore Calderwoods words from interviews at this time considering you place so much importance on one of his words from an interview about Sproule.

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 06:15 PM

This is a guy who, despite not being the most gifted individual, got to the very top of his profession through hard work and dedication. Is so single minded and driven he makes John Collins look positively apathetic.

Why do some folk think he would have his professional pride and opinion disregarded in the way that has been alluded to and take it like, well, Jim Jeffries?

I think not.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 06:55 PM
What a load of rubbish masquerading as informed opinion.

Sproule signing was the boards signing based on one word in one interview and ignoring the many other words in other interviews.

Adams was a board appointment - seems strange that you completely ignore Calderwoods words from interviews at this time considering you place so much importance on one of his words from an interview about Sproule.

Really? That is your opinion of course. You seem to know better than me, but FWIW my opinions on what I have been informed still stand.

BEEJ
21-05-2011, 07:24 PM
By all accounts he would be unlikely to starve if he went unpaid for a while either.
I guess most people, regardless of their financial circumstances, could make appropriate life changes and live more simply to eek out what savings they have until a new job comes along.

So my question still stands of the original poster who made this point. Would you walk away from a job on a point of principle?

This is a guy who, despite not being the most gifted individual, got to the very top of his profession through hard work and dedication. Is so single minded and driven he makes John Collins look positively apathetic.

Why do some folk think he would have his professional pride and opinion disregarded in the way that has been alluded to and take it like, well, Jim Jeffries?

I think not.
And how would walking away from a job in that way be construed by future potential employers operating in the same sector?

It would not be an easy episode on CC's CV to explain away, at least without rubbishing a former employer, which is something else that job candidates are advised not to do.

IWasThere2016
21-05-2011, 07:41 PM
CC is meant to have spoken to Swindon ..

I've asked 3 folks I'd expect to know about this and all 3 dismissed this BF.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I've asked 3 folks I'd expect to know about this and all 3 dismissed this BF.

Cheers TQM, sometimes I post things that I have been told, but sometimes it proves to be incorrect.

HibbyRod
21-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I guess most people, regardless of their financial circumstances, could make appropriate life changes and live more simply to eek out what savings they have until a new job comes along.

So my question still stands of the original poster who made this point. Would you walk away from a job on a point of principle?

And how would walking away from a job in that way be construed by future potential employers operating in the same sector?

It would not be an easy episode on CC's CV to explain away, at least without rubbishing a former employer, which is something else that job candidates are advised not to do.

Yes, I have done so fairly recently.

And would do it again. There is more to, life than money alone - believe it or not.

matty_f
21-05-2011, 10:08 PM

I've walked away from a job on a point of principle before, and from a much worse financial position than I imagine CC is in, and with nothing else to go to.

CC will absolutely and categorically have had the final say on whether or not Sproule was offered a contract or not. I am 100% confident of that.

IMHO, the potential backlash that the board would face from a huge majority of the Hibs support, myself included, if it transpired that Sproule or anyone else for that matter, had been signed against the wishes of CC, would be commercial and business suicide for the board, and absolutely would cost them their jobs.

Identifying the playing personnel at the club is way outwith any board member's remit. The only person at Easter Road who has the say in who we try to sign is the manager. The board may find themselves in a position where they become aware of players wanting to come to Hibs, and put them to the manager, but if the manager says no, they won't get a contract offer.

There seems to be a load of fairytales going about at the moment which are doing nothing but damage to the club.

BEEJ
21-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Yes, I have done so fairly recently.

And would do it again. There is more to, life than money alone - believe it or not.
You're preaching to the converted there. :wink:

The normal run of events though when someone gets hacked off with their work environment / colleagues to such an extent that they have to get out, they wait until another opportunity comes along and then they jump ship. That may leave most folks open to the accusation of being guilty of compromise in such situations; but it's the normal course of events.

In the tiny world of UK football JC was unusual in walking from his post at ER only because he didn't have to work again in football management if he didn't want to.

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 10:26 PM

It would be much easier to explain away than having his reputation trashed because players and personnel were being signed against his wishes.

Hibs may well be in breach of contract and if they were it may well be that his contract would require paying in full. The breach would be very easy to prove unless, that is, both Derek Adams and Ivan lie about the circumstances of their signing for Hibs, which would be very unlikely.

IberianHibernian
21-05-2011, 10:45 PM
I've walked away from a job on a point of principle before, and from a much worse financial position than I imagine CC is in, and with nothing else to go to.

CC will absolutely and categorically have had the final say on whether or not Sproule was offered a contract or not. I am 100% confident of that.

IMHO, the potential backlash that the board would face from a huge majority of the Hibs support, myself included, if it transpired that Sproule or anyone else for that matter, had been signed against the wishes of CC, would be commercial and business suicide for the board, and absolutely would cost them their jobs.

Identifying the playing personnel at the club is way outwith any board member's remit. The only person at Easter Road who has the say in who we try to sign is the manager. The board may find themselves in a position where they become aware of players wanting to come to Hibs, and put them to the manager, but if the manager says no, they won't get a contract offer.

There seems to be a load of fairytales going about at the moment which are doing nothing but damage to the club.Sauzee`s first signing was Wiss whose signing had already been reported/rumoured before McLeish left . Seem to remember something similar happening when Mowbray left . Fact is that until we employ a manager with experience at top level or at least with a club with our level of expectations ( Eddie Turnbull would be last such case , respect to Yogi but club didn`t give him time ) any new manager will not have power to demand considerable say in signings and length of contracts - IF CC was enthusiastic about signing Sproule it can only have been because he thought like Petrie that signing an ex player who was popular with some of support might reduce flak and buy time till other signings became available and at same time keep him in with RP and rest of club directors . Or if he`s sure he`s leaving , he may not be bothered about who we sign .

BEEJ
21-05-2011, 10:48 PM
It would be much easier to explain away than having his reputation trashed because players and personnel were being signed against his wishes.
If all this were true (we are moving into increasingly unlikely scenarios here) he can only explain it away by trashing his former employer; the club would not willingly volunteer such information (if it were true).

Hibs may well be in breach of contract and if they were it may well be that his contract would require paying in full. The breach would be very easy to prove unless, that is, both Derek Adams and Ivan lie about the circumstances of their signing for Hibs, which would be very unlikely.
Responsibility for recruitment would be set out in the job description rather than in the Ts & Cs of his contract of employment.

In any case, in reality things are seldom so black and white. More often than not the edges are blurred rather than clear-cut.

To be honest there may actually be a strong business case in a one-off instance for a club's board to take a strategic decision to take on a particular member of playing or coaching staff. I could see that in certain situations there could be a robust argument for that.

The Manager usually responsible for identifying signing targets or recruitment would certainly be 'consulted' or 'involved' at some point along the way; but he would be advised that it would be preferred if this person could come on board for the greater good.

I'm not sure that for the Manager that set of circumstances necessarily 'trashes his reputation'. But were it to happen too often it would seriously undermine his position.

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 11:17 PM
If all this were true (we are moving into increasingly unlikely scenarios here) he can only explain it away by trashing his former employer; the club would not willingly volunteer such information (if it were true).

I dont really understand what your getting at here as I thought it was pretty clear but, as I explained in a earlier post, I have had a lot of blows to my head over the years.

Why would anybody take responsibility for another's mistakes? It might be convenient for some to believe this but, again from what I'm told, there is not a cat's chance in hell that it would be tolerated in this case.

If it were the case he would be quite right to trash his former employer and would be able to provide evidence (from others) to this effect.

Responsibility for recruitment would be set out in the job description rather than in the Ts & Cs of his contract of employment.

In any case, in reality things are seldom so black and white. More often than not the edges are blurred rather than clear-cut.

To be honest there may actually be a strong business case in a one-off instance for a club's board to take a strategic decision to take on a particular member of playing or coaching staff. I could see that in certain situations there could be a robust argument for that.

The Manager usually responsible for identifying signing targets or recruitment would certainly be 'consulted' or 'involved' at some point along the way; but he would be advised that it would be preferred if this person could come on board for the greater good.

While signing players is very much a team effort these days the final say lies with the manager. He will take suggestions and advice from everybody but the final say rests with him. Its his neck on the block.

I'm not sure that for the Manager that set of circumstances necessarily 'trashes his reputation'. But were it to happen too often it would seriously undermine his position.

Its expected that the manager signs the players. If the club sign a player that he dosent fancy how does it not "trash his reputation" with future employers?

He comes out afterwards and says "it wisnae me, honest"?

If it were to happen once it would make his position untenable.

BEEJ
21-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Its expected that the manager signs the players. If the club sign a player that he dosent fancy how does it not "trash his reputation" with future employers?

He comes out afterwards and says "it wisnae me, honest"?

If it were to happen once it would make his position untenable.
I hear what you're saying, Kaiser.

I just don't think that reality is often that cut and dried or straightforward.

Dunbar Hibee
21-05-2011, 11:46 PM

There seems to be a load of fairytales going about at the moment which are doing nothing but damage to the club.

:top marks Most sensible thing I have read on here in a while.

Steve-O
22-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Official site is utter gash and I very very rarely look at it for this reason. It's about time Hibs got a decent Facebook and Twitter going and moved with the times.

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:08 AM

Whilst I hear where you are coming from, it has happened before... I am sure Rankin was identified by Board before mnager was in situ? Or am I still in my slumber....

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:10 AM
What if the Board were tipped off by agent, and spoke to CC....CC may have said I am not sure, but the Board say he was a fan's favourite and it might help push season ticket sales up.... Hardly fairytale stuff

matty_f
22-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Whilst I hear where you are coming from, it has happened before... I am sure Rankin was identified by Board before mnager was in situ? Or am I still in my slumber....

Think it was the same situation-rankin's agent sounded out hibs but mixu (iirc) had final say and went with it on the say-so of park, who knew rankin from ict.
Think nish's signing might have come about the same way-if I remember right mixu wasn't sure about completing the signing and didn't have a park with a knowledge of nish to call upon so ended up watching him a couple of times before signing him, even though it meant nish was cup tied.

matty_f
22-05-2011, 10:18 AM
What if the Board were tipped off by agent, and spoke to CC....CC may have said I am not sure, but the Board say he was a fan's favourite and it might help push season ticket sales up.... Hardly fairytale stuff

That sounds plausible enough, the fairytale stuff relates to a while range of stuff doing the rounds just now, so apologies if you thought it was directed at you.

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:25 AM
That sounds plausible enough, the fairytale stuff relates to a while range of stuff doing the rounds just now, so apologies if you thought it was directed at you.

No matty I never thought that....We are all on edge and things that are said can be misread...WE all need to stick together and stop finding faults with others posts, one which myself am guilty of at times:wink:

Mikey
22-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Remember this re Nish's signing. Folk were complaining that we didn't sign him earlier and that allowed him to be cup tied......

The question was, why wasn't Nish signed earlier..........

Because Rod's a tightwad and wanted to save on 2 weeks wages.............. NO

Because Jumbo Jeffries is a nasty man and deliberately played him............. NO

Because the sides couldn't agree a fee and JJ was getting stroppy............ NO

Becuase Mixu was aware of the player but had never seen him in action and refused to sign someone he'd never seen play.............. YES

Mixu was at Killie's cup game as that was the first game that CN played in since Mixu took office. Nish played for nearly an hour, scored a penalty and when he left the park was greeted was cries of "Nish must stay" from the Killie fans. Mixu felt that there was something there he could work with so sanctioned the move.

It hasn't been confirmed that Mixu left the ground singing "Nish must go"

It was also pointed out that Mixu got his first choice left back in Zarabi. Hammell was never in the frame.

Post 74 from here......

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?108416-Question-amp-Answer-Session-With-Hibs/page3

Mikey
22-05-2011, 10:38 AM
This whole business of Petrie signing players over the manager's head is the modern day equivalent of "where did the car park money go".

Those who are desperate for it to be true might want to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves why they want it to be true.

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:48 AM
This whole business of Petrie signing players over the manager's head is the modern day equivalent of "where did the car park money go".

Those who are desperate for it to be true might want to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves why they want it to be true.

Maybe posters have heard certain things, and they want to highlight it... It might not turn out to be correct in the long run, but there is certainly no smoke without fire at times..... Helps this board tick along nicely for converstionalists

hibeeleicester
22-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Sorry if this seems a bit radical but, maybe Derek Adams just missed Ross County?

It does happen you know.

BEEJ
22-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Post 74 from here......

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?108416-Question-amp-Answer-Session-With-Hibs/page3
On the last point in the quoted post .....

Zarabi was a last minute, 31st January signing by Mixu who was desperate to fill the hole at LB left by Murphy.

Hammell was never an option for Mixu as he was never in the frame to come to ER. According to JC the Board would not sanction the extra £500 / week to match his salary at Southend.

Motherwell FC eventually did, or at least went closer to Hammel's Southend salary package than we were prepared to go.

Saorsa
22-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Sorry if this seems a bit radical but, maybe Derek Adams just missed Ross County?

It does happen you know.you dinnae really believe that do you? :greengrin

BEEJ
22-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Exactly!

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Zarabi was a last minute, 31st January signing by Mixu who was desperate to fill the hole at LB left by Murphy.

Hammell was never an option for Mixu as he was never in the frame to come to ER. According to JC the Board would not sanction the extra £500 / week to match his salary at Southend.

Motherwell FC eventually did, or at least went closer to Hammel's Southend salary package than we were prepared to go.

:agree:

The Falcon
22-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Maybe posters have heard certain things, and they want to highlight it... It might not turn out to be correct in the long run, but there is certainly no smoke without fire at times..... Helps this board tick along nicely for converstionalists

Its 99% smoke I'm afraid. Created by about 1% fire.

The Falcon
22-05-2011, 11:08 AM

I am sure there are many people involved in the signing of this player or that one. The final say rests with the manager in all cases.

whiskyhibby
22-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Good signing - great to have him back, and CC will have had around 29 opportunities to watch Ivan play in the past year, not the handful you mention.

He's gone - so what?

I hate the strip, but all Hibs is doing is trying to flog the thing. If you, like me, don't like it then don't buy it - end of story.

Hardly.[/QUOTE]

Sems to be a pink theme devloping here..............:flag:

matty_f
22-05-2011, 11:47 AM

What gets me about the Hammel story is that out of context and in isolation, it looks like Hibs have been tight (albeit tight to the tune of £26k a year). In fact, Hammel would have been one of several signings made by JC. JC had a wage budget to work within, Hammel's signing would have exceeded it - thanks to several other pish players that Collins had already brought to the club.

It's not just a case of Hibs saying "nah, we're not going to give him an extra £500 the greedy so and so", it was a case of Collins' budget being exhausted.

smurf
22-05-2011, 11:54 AM
What gets me about the Hammel story is that out of context and in isolation, it looks like Hibs have been tight (albeit tight to the tune of £26k a year). In fact, Hammel would have been one of several signings made by JC. JC had a wage budget to work within, Hammel's signing would have exceeded it - thanks to several other pish players that Collins had already brought to the club.

It's not just a case of Hibs saying "nah, we're not going to give him an extra £500 the greedy so and so", it was a case of Collins' budget being exhausted.

The board say that we don't have a 'wage cap'. That the Manager has a budget and he can spend it as he sees fit. So we could have a player on a lot more than the average etc.

However, we constantly hear of a wage cap at ER....

matty_f
22-05-2011, 12:08 PM
The board say that we don't have a 'wage cap'. That the Manager has a budget and he can spend it as he sees fit. So we could have a player on a lot more than the average etc.

However, we constantly hear of a wage cap at ER....

You're getting confused between a wage cap and a wage budget Smurf.

In this case, JC would have had a wage budget, within which he could have had (if he thought it was the right thing to do) AOB on, say £4k a week, and Morais on say £1k a week.

However, if there's only enough of the budget left to fund a player at £2.5k a week, and that player wants £3k a week, then there's not enough to pay it.

Hammel's signing would have exceeded the budget, not a wage cap.

smurf
22-05-2011, 12:34 PM
You're getting confused between a wage cap and a wage budget Smurf.

In this case, JC would have had a wage budget, within which he could have had (if he thought it was the right thing to do) AOB on, say £4k a week, and Morais on say £1k a week.

However, if there's only enough of the budget left to fund a player at £2.5k a week, and that player wants £3k a week, then there's not enough to pay it.

Hammel's signing would have exceeded the budget, not a wage cap.

I wasn't refering specifically to Hammel. More the constant '£1600 wage cap' tales we hear from those 'in the know'.

There is either a 'wage cap' or not. Scott Lindsay is on record as saying that there is not.

Kilmarnock showed just what a difference a couple of very good players can make (we did with Sauzee and Latapy also).

I hope the Manager uses his budget to genuinely go down the road of 'quality over quantity'.

If he has such freedom to do so?

BEEJ
22-05-2011, 12:48 PM

How do you know this for sure, Matty?

JC brought in a lot of players (yes, most of them below standard) because he had also shifted out a lot of players - many of them high earners - at the tail end of the previous season.

In the summer of 2007 he signed:

Mikael-Antoine Curier
Patrick Noubissie
Filipe Morais
Thierry Ghatteussi
Yves MaKalambay
Torben Joneleit
Alan O'Brien
Brian Kerr
Clayton Donaldson

at the same time as he was getting rid of:

Steven Whittaker
Stephen Glass
Kevin McDonald
Shelton Martis
Jay Shields
Ivan Sproule
Sam Morrow
Thomas Sowumni
Simon Brown
Jamie McLuskey
Jonathan Baillie
Chris Killen
Scott Brown
Michael Stewart

So how do you know that JC's budget for the year was spent?

Murphy was about to leave in the January window. During that window and beyond under Mixu we ended up signing Rankin, Murray, Nish, Zarabi and Canning.

There is either a 'wage cap' or not. Scott Lindsay is on record as saying that there is not.
Which I believe is true as at the time he stated it. But that doesn't necessarily mean that there wasn't one in place before Lindsay was in post; nor that there will never be one reimposed again.

Kilmarnock showed just what a difference a couple of very good players can make (we did with Sauzee and Latapy also).

I hope the Manager uses his budget to genuinely go down the road of 'quality over quantity'.

If he has such freedom to do so?
:agree:

Mikey
22-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Sems to be a pink theme devloping here..............:flag:

You'd be amazed how many times we receive a reported a post suggesting that the poster is of the pink persuasion. Yet more often than not one of the admin team knows the person, sometimes very well, and actually they're a "good" hibby.

They rarely have anything "good" to say about their club though.

And then the admin team get grief for letting the place get overrun by yams :rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
22-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I hear what you're saying, Kaiser.

I just don't think that reality is often that cut and dried or straightforward.

I would imagine, just imagine mind, that players are more or less signed by a committee in that there will be some sort of meeting between coaching and scouting staff to thrash out who they want or dont want, and then who they can or cant afford.
We know that agents send details constantly and, I seem to recall, someone saying that we look at literally hundreds, if not thousands, of names. No one man can be expected to do that and, as a result, we will miss some and get sold a pup on others. Like everybody else.

At some point in this process RP will be brought into the loop and it will be taken from there. Some we will get and some we wont. It would be nice though to get a few winners now and again.

ancient hibee
22-05-2011, 07:33 PM
The idea that Rod would sign a guy and pay him a wage to sit in the stand because the manager wouldn't play him because he didn't fancy him shows J K Rowling has got some rivals.Or are we going to be told that the manager would be told by Rod who he had to play?

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 07:37 PM
The idea that Rod would sign a guy and pay him a wage to sit in the stand because the manager wouldn't play him because he didn't fancy him shows J K Rowling has got some rivals.Or are we going to be told that the manager would be told by Rod who he had to play?

Yogi told me in Holland Bamba was finished for going AWOL.....Maribor home leg Bamba back in.....Either that is some turnaround and step down from Yogi, or he was told to play him, either way I could not believe he was picked after Yogi saying he was finished....:devil:

whiskyhibby
22-05-2011, 07:43 PM
You'd be amazed how many times we receive a reported a post suggesting that the poster is of the pink persuasion. Yet more often than not one of the admin team knows the person, sometimes very well, and actually they're a "good" hibby.

They rarely have anything "good" to say about their club though.

And then the admin team get grief for letting the place get overrun by yams :rolleyes:

If the Admins are ok I have no problem, we are all entitled to our varying opinions

:aok:

ancient hibee
22-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Yogi told me in Holland Bamba was finished for going AWOL.....Maribor home leg Bamba back in.....Either that is some turnaround and step down from Yogi, or he was told to play him, either way I could not believe he was picked after Yogi saying he was finished....:devil:
A football manager will do ANYTHING to win a match.

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Dear god man, I bet you still believe in the tooth fairy.

silverhibee
22-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Dear god man, I bet you still believe in the tooth fairy.

Gutted to hear that there is no tooth fairy BH, i will still leave my tooth under the pillow tonight just in case you are wrong. :greengrin :wink:

RIP
23-05-2011, 07:01 AM

Maybe in the cold light of day he thought about what he had said in the heat of the moment. You, me and Auntie Jean have all done that I'm sure

However I'm sure we prefer your take on events!! It shows what a valuable 'insider' you must be that our managers choose to confide in you :thumbsup:

Beefster
23-05-2011, 08:48 AM

I told Mrs Beefster that I thought that the steak pie she had just made wasn't as good as usual. A couple of minutes, a few stern words and a slap later, I had changed my mind and agreed that it was probably the best steak pie I had ever tasted.

Folk change their minds.

Baldy Foghorn
23-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Maybe in the cold light of day he thought about what he had said in the heat of the moment. You, me and Auntie Jean have all done that I'm sure

However I'm sure we prefer your take on events!! It shows what a valuable 'insider' you must be that our managers choose to confide in you :thumbsup:

very good:rolleyes:

Boris
23-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Foghorn hasn't laid any claim to being an "insider" nor has he refered to comments from more than one manager (i.e. Yogi) not "managers". The comments he referred to were made though to several Hibs fans, including the Foghorn, outside the Airborne Forces Museum at Arnhem during the pre-season tour to Holland after said fans were sitting outside with Yogi who had cycled to the museum with other members of the coaching staff from their nearby hotel.

Baldy Foghorn
23-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Foghorn hasn't laid any claim to being an "insider" nor has he refered to comments from more than one manager (i.e. Yogi) not "managers". The comments he referred to were made though to several Hibs fans, including the Foghorn, outside the Airborne Forces Museum at Arnhem during the pre-season tour to Holland after said fans were sitting outside with Yogi who had cycled to the museum with other members of the coaching staff from their nearby hotel.

Indeed Jim, he said the same on the morning of the last match to myself and FD....

JimBHibees
23-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Yep completely right. No doubt Hibs would have been made aware of IS's position and CC has decided to take him on based on actually seeing him play when he was at Newcastle in the same league and also his previous Hibs time.

Adams would have been taken on due to IMO CC not getting his first choice Assistant probably due to the person having a job, probably not wanting to uproot family sort of thing. It obviously hasnt worked out these things happen.

Incredible some of the pap that gets put on here as fact.

blackpoolhibs
23-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Gutted to hear that there is no tooth fairy BH, i will still leave my tooth under the pillow tonight just in case you are wrong. :greengrin :wink:

Stick them in the jar like you always do. :greengrin

RIP
23-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Thanks for that background JG but I wisnae doubting that it had been said

I was just (in tongue in cheek manner) questioning SB's choice to promote that discussion as evidence that Rod had interfered in team selection. Thought it was a bit of a salmon leap masel'

HibsMax
23-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Let me make sure I understand this. You're doubting CC's feelings about Ivan yet you yourself feel qualified to doubt the move? I could be wrong but I suspect that CC has more information about Ivan and his current capabilities than the of majority people who post on here. I imagine the club are going to back their manager rather than try to reflect the feelings of a portion of the fanbase when writing articles for the official site.

EDIT: In answer to your question, I don't think they are taking the fans for mugs but let's be reasonable in our expectations. They are NOT an unbiased news agency so obviously their articles are going to be green-tinted.

Boris
23-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Let me make sure I understand this. You're doubting CC's feelings about Ivan yet you yourself feel qualified to doubt the move? I could be wrong but I suspect that CC has more information about Ivan and his current capabilities than the of majority people who post on here. I imagine the club are going to back their manager rather than try to reflect the feelings of a portion of the fanbase when writing articles for the official site.

EDIT: In answer to your question, I don't think they are taking the fans for mugs but let's be reasonable in our expectations. They are NOT an unbiased news agency so obviously their articles are going to be green-tinted.

Just my opinion, not as an "insider" (which I'm not) but as a supporter who pays his money & feels entitled therefore to comment. Hey, maybe I've got it all wrong & CC thinks Ivan is the business but the way the official website put it across just didn't ring true to me. Time will tell.

The Falcon
23-05-2011, 04:46 PM
I told Mrs Beefster that I thought that the steak pie she had just made wasn't as good as usual. A couple of minutes, a few stern words and a slap later, I had changed my mind and agreed that it was probably the best steak pie I had ever tasted.

Folk change their minds.

But you didnt though Beefster did you?

You did what any self respecting man who likes his gonads where they are would have said and you agreed with her.

I always get the last words in any argument and its usually "yes dear".