PDA

View Full Version : Transition Period -

Keith_M
20-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Agggh, yet ANOTHER (http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Hibs-Ivan-Sproule-knows-he.6770931.jp) use of that phrase!

Could anybody cheer me up a bit and tell me:

a) When Hibs last weren't going though a transition period.

b) When they think this transition period is ever going to end, if at all.

c) What exactly it is Hibs are going to 'transition' into.

Will it be like a Caterpillar turning into a butterfly?

Or is it like a spicy curry, being 'transitioned' by your Intestines, cos I don't like the thought of the end product of that one bit! For one thing, it doesn't sound that much different to what I've been watching the last few seasons. :wink:

down the slope
20-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Hamish
20-05-2011, 10:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sutVzc85gkY

The defending looks familiar....

Stevie Reid
20-05-2011, 10:41 AM
We were in a transitional period when we last won a trophy. Since then we have become a club with a completed stadium and training academy - ok, people may be sick of hearing it, but it's true.

Last time we weren't in a period of transition was under Alex Miller and many wanted him out.

DCI Gene Hunt
20-05-2011, 11:10 AM
"Transition Period" is merely a nice way of saying "Going through a bit of a pish spell". Except that this particular Pish Spell seems to have lasted three seasons... :timebomb:

G

Dan Sarf
20-05-2011, 11:13 AM
This is a transition period leading to the next transition period. Period.

hibsbollah
20-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Almost as bad as 'evolution not revolution'. I am convinced we are going to be ganting for years and years. Once youve accepted that, supporting Hibs gets easier.:flag:

smurf
20-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Post Bosman we are in a perpetual transitional period.

Like Motherwell with their smaller support and smaller budget.

High turnover in managers and players.

Top six. CIS Cup semi finalists. Scottish Cup Finalists.

No excuses Hibs. We are underperforming.

Franck is God
20-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I think its something that many football fans are going to have to get used to.

Players careers are getting longer thanks to better fitness levels and much improved recovery from serious injuries. It is now strange to see a player retiring at 32/33 whereas when I started watching Hibs very few players played well into the 30's.

As a result the market is full of unattached players of all positions, ages and abilities. The clubs can now offer shorter contracts worth less money knowing that the players options are far more limited than they might have been a few years ago.

Managers too are spending less time with clubs and have had to try and build a side for a single season rather than long term. Look at Hibs over the last few years, any time we have a manager who has a good spell he is linked with all sorts of jobs and in the same way half a dozen poor results calls into question his position at the club. Why should they look long term or build a side for the next man?

Steve-O
20-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Agggh, yet ANOTHER (http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Hibs-Ivan-Sproule-knows-he.6770931.jp) use of that phrase!

Could anybody cheer me up a bit and tell me:

a) When Hibs last weren't going though a transition period.

b) When they think this transition period is ever going to end, if at all.

c) What exactly it is Hibs are going to 'transition' into.

Will it be like a Caterpillar turning into a butterfly?

Or is it like a spicy curry, being 'transitioned' by your Intestines, cos I don't like the thought of the end product of that one bit! For one thing, it doesn't sound that much different to what I've been watching the last few seasons. :wink:

Probably when McLeish was here.

I recall all this 'transitional period' talk when Williamson came in, and it's never stopped since!!

ballengeich
20-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I believe that the transition period will end when a manager takes us to the next level.

Dan Sarf
20-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I believe that the transition period will end when a manager takes us to the next level.

Will the next level be another transitional period though? I suspect it will.

ballengeich
20-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Will the next level be another transitional period though? I suspect it will.

Depends on whether the lads set out their stall early doors and give 110%.

RIP
20-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Hibs are constantly in transition because we can't seem to appoint a manager and stick with him. Hibs fans like to believe the next manager will be better than the last.

The new manager then seems to believe that a bunch of new players will be better than the ones he inherits

The Board seem to buy this bollocks strategy and sign a shedload of new players for the manager, often at a cost of ending the old contracts

So we end up constantly 'In Transition'

Of course if we had a Board that actually understood football they would say to a new manager. "Make a better fist of the players you inherit. If you do we MAY sign another player for you. But if you don't you can bolt!!"

But we don't so we will remain constantly 'In Transition' :greengrin

Dan Sarf
20-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Depends on whether the lads set out their stall early doors and give 110%.

Bearing in mind there are no easy games in the Premier League nowadays. It's a difficult place to go there and get a result.

dangermouse
20-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Hibs are constantly in transition because we can't seem to appoint a manager and stick with him. Hibs fans like to believe the next manager will be better than the last.

The new manager then seems to believe that a bunch of new players will be better than the ones he inherits

The Board seem to buy this bollocks strategy and sign a shedload of new players for the manager, often at a cost of ending the old contracts

Of course if we had a Board that actually understood football they would say to a new manager. "Make a better fist of the players you inherit. If you do we MAY sign another player for you. But if you don't you can bolt!!"

Can you imagine how even more depressing hibs.net would become if this was the case :shocked: This board would be in meltdown knowing the manager wasn't getting any money to spend.

Kaiser1962
20-05-2011, 02:23 PM

And we always will be. Thats the way it is. Motherwell did better than us this season but, overall, we do better than them.

Kaiser1962
20-05-2011, 02:57 PM

I suspect the manager tells them at the interview how good its all going to be, like any job interview.

In the market we operate these days it is going to always be a hit or a miss. We cannot sign the finished article, be it a manager or a player, so we get guys who are amitious and hopefully have the talent to match that ambition or players whose careers have stalled or have come off the rails and looking to get back on.

Vaz Te, Riordan, Murray, Stokes, Miller, Palsson spring to mind in that category.

Or we sign plyers who might be able to give us a season or two in the twilight of their careers.

The most obvious being Sauzee, the most recent De Graff.

If they do well they will probaly move sooner rather than later. If they dont do well they are here longer and the manager gets pelters cos it didnt work, probably the sack after the support turns on him.

If the signings do work the manager is hailed as a messiah and sombody offers him 10 times the wages and budget that we can.

Either outcome and Rod gets it tight anyway.

That is football at Hibs level today and tomorrow and the next day.

Stevie Reid
20-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I suspect the manager tells them at the interview how good its all going to be, like any job interview.

In the market we operate these days it is going to always be a hit or a miss. We cannot sign the finished article, be it a manager or a player, so we get guys who are amitious and hopefully have the talent to match that ambition or players whose careers have stalled or have come off the rails and looking to get back on.

Vaz Te, Riordan, Murray, Stokes, Miller, Palsson spring to mind in that category.

Or we sign plyers who might be able to give us a season or two in the twilight of their careers.

The most obvious being Sauzee, the most recent De Graff.

If they do well they will probaly move sooner rather than later. If they dont do well they are here longer and the manager gets pelters cos it didnt work, probably the sack after the support turns on him.

If the signings do work the manager is hailed as a messiah and sombody offers him 10 times the wages and budget that we can.

Either outcome and Rod gets it tight anyway.

That is football at Hibs level today and tomorrow and the next day.

Spot on.

The Harp
20-05-2011, 10:16 PM

Can't argue wi' that. You could say even the Famous Five were under-achievers considering not only did the Scottish Cup escape their grasp but also the League Cup and our record v the Yams at that time wasn't nearly as good as it should have been (sorry for the negativity :duck:).
I can't recall the term 'transitional period' being used much when i was a youngster at ER. We always consoled ourselves in times of adversity with the line "... aye, but we've got a lot o' good laddies coming through." :confused:

Jones28
21-05-2011, 12:14 AM
This is the season Hibs come into their own.

As said before, finally all our facilities are up to date and modernised so no need to worry about upgrades etc.

Relatively low debt, long term mortgages are all we have IIRC.

Another crop of talented youngsters coming through the ranks: Booth, Wotherspoon, Handling, Welsh, Horner

Im looking forward to next season :flag:

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 05:48 AM
This is the season Hibs come into their own.

As said before, finally all our facilities are up to date and modernised so no need to worry about upgrades etc.

Relatively low debt, long term mortgages are all we have IIRC.

Another crop of talented youngsters coming through the ranks: Booth, Wotherspoon, Handling, Welsh, Horner

Im looking forward to next season :flag:

Relative to other clubs that is. We are still in debt by about 50% of our annual turnover. Which is still a bit high.

However, like you, I am looking forward to the new season and have high hopes.

But then again, I always do. :greengrin

Then it starts. :grr:

IWasThere2016
21-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Relative to other clubs that is. We are still in debt by about 50% of our annual turnover. Which is still a bit high.

However, like you, I am looking forward to the new season and have high hopes.

But then again, I always do. :greengrin

Then it starts. :grr:

The debt could be higher. UIAM, we have still to publish accounts since the East Stand was completed and paid for - and it was partly debt-funded.

The Falcon
21-05-2011, 06:20 AM
The debt could be higher. UIAM, we have still to publish accounts since the East Stand was completed and paid for - and it was partly debt-funded.

The season we have had wont have helped either.

IWasThere2016
21-05-2011, 06:26 AM
The season we have had wont have helped either.

Correct - cash used on the East, cash lost via another trading loss, wages:income percentage up, the board's remuneration to income will look interesting also.

Difficult to see any transition whereby we spend 'one pound less than we bring in' and that that has any 'upward spiral' anywhere near it! Rod's the man though! :wink:

The best transition we can hope for would be in the Boardroom IMHO.

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Correct - cash used on the East, cash lost via another trading loss, wages:income percentage up, the board's remuneration to income will look interesting also.

Difficult to see any transition whereby we spend 'one pound less than we bring in' and that that has any 'upward spiral' anywhere near it! Rod's the man though! :wink:

The best transition we can hope for would be in the Boardroom IMHO.

The overall wage bill will be very similar to last years I suppose. The boards renumeration to income is only because they have jobs to do. We would have to employ someone in those jobs anyway so the cash would reduce by the amount paid to directors and increase the staff wages by a similar amount. Motherwell have a wages to turnover ratio of over 100% but have unpaid directors for example.

It's the way Farmer operates his companies in that key personnel are directors, which is his perogative.

Both Rod and STF are getting on a bit now so lots of peoples dreams will come true soon enough.

It is only then that we will see and if, at that time, we are standing on the concourse of the Camp Nou awaiting the arrival of the teams for the 2020 champions league final between Hibs (the favourites) and some other nonentity like AC Milan. Then I will ply you with strong drink and concede you were right all along. :greengrin

The Falcon
21-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Both Rod and STF are getting on a bit now so lots of peoples dreams will come true soon enough.

That day is coming I'm afraid.

IWasThere2016
21-05-2011, 07:42 AM
The overall wage bill will be very similar to last years I suppose. The boards renumeration to income is only because they have jobs to do. We would have to employ someone in those jobs anyway so the cash would reduce by the amount paid to directors and increase the staff wages by a similar amount. Motherwell have a wages to turnover ratio of over 100% but have unpaid directors for example.

It's the way Farmer operates his companies in that key personnel are directors, which is his perogative.

It is only then that we will see and if, at that time, we are standing on the concourse of the Camp Nou awaiting the arrival of the teams for the 2020 champions league final between Hibs (the favourites) and some other nonentity like AC Milan. Then I will ply you with strong drink and concede you were right all along. :greengrin

I'm right now though - and I'm out tonight so I'll buy myself a few pints on your virtual tab. Don't worry I'll keep the receipt :greengrin

IWasThere2016
21-05-2011, 07:43 AM
ps - I'll settle for the Scottish Cup and at any point in my lifetime! :agree:

IWasThere2016
21-05-2011, 07:52 AM
That day is coming I'm afraid.

Why would you be afraid?

mixuok
21-05-2011, 09:25 AM
We were in a transitional period when we last won a trophy. Since then we have become a club with a completed stadium and training academy - ok, people may be sick of hearing it, but it's true.

Last time we weren't in a period of transition was under Alex Miller and many wanted him out.
whats the point in having all these facilities if we cant put a team on the park. im sick of hearing all this gash about what we have but our players are utter dross heard another "romour" yesterday we are cutting the wage bill to a max 1800 aweek so lets dig in for another crappy season

The_Todd
21-05-2011, 11:58 AM
We will be in a transitional period for as long as we keep demanding a new manager every 6 months and for as long as the board bows to the pressure.

We, the fans, keep demanding these quickfire changes so we are in no position to complain about being in perpetual transition.

Saorsa
21-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Last time we weren't in a period of transition was under Alex Miller and many wanted him out.Yeah, you're right, I'm sick of hearing it and sick of throwing hundreds of pounds away on watching complete and utter garbage. Another season in transition and another 400 quid doon the pan then? That training center has been a real boon. Since it has been in existence we have continually managed tae put teams on the park that either a) look like they've never met each other before, b) look like they dinnae have a clue what they are supposed tae be doing, c) look so unfit it seems like some of them are on 60 a day or a combination of all three. Just what the **** goes on down there? That training centre will be nothing more the £5 Million down the pan until we actually start puting some decent players in it instead of journey men and ham & eggers. We had better teams when they trained on public parks.