PDA

View Full Version : NHC Steven Thompson

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Steven Thompson has agreed to sign for St Mirren on a two year deal.... How the heck can St Mirren entice someone like him to their club:confused:

ancient hibee
20-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Perhaps because nobody else wants him?

bingo70
20-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Steven Thompson has agreed to sign for St Mirren on a two year deal.... How the heck can St Mirren entice someone like him to their club:confused:

Read somewhere he supported them growing up, if thats true then that may have been a factor.

If we were interested i'm pretty certain we would have been offering more money than st mirren, unless they've *****ed most of there budget on one player.

smurf
20-05-2011, 09:45 AM
His stats are not that impressive...

Andy74
20-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Due to nobody offering any more.

Mon Dieu4
20-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Because he is, was and always will be gash and a big carthorse, dont let the fact der Hun splashed out a couple of million fool you into believing he is good, Nish probably has better stats in the SPL than him

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I watched him a few times on tv for Burnley this season, and to be fair he was ok. Not 100% sure he's any better than what we have, he's a different type but he does not score many goals.

bingo70
20-05-2011, 09:50 AM
His stats are not that impressive...

Because he is, was and always will be gash and a big carthorse, dont let the fact der Hun splashed out a couple of million fool you into believe he is good, Nish probably has better stats in the SPL than him

Burnley fans rated him.

I don't think his stats tell you the overall picture about him as he's more about doing the ugly stuff up front, winning flick ons, holding the ball up, linking others into the game, gaining fouls etc....

There's not a lot of stats available for that kind of contribution to a team.

Mon Dieu4
20-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Burnley fans rated him.

I don't think his stats tell you the overall picture about him as he's more about doing the ugly stuff up front, winning flick ons, holding the ball up, linking others into the game, gaining fouls etc....

There's not a lot of stats available for that kind of contribution to a team.

From what I remember he was a striker version of Steven Pressley and just fell over anytime anyone was within a 12 mile radius of him and moaned about it.

I know what you are getting at though some strikers do the ugly work, could he be the new man who does "unseen work" for Hibs?

bingo70
20-05-2011, 09:59 AM
From what I remember he was a striker version of Steven Pressley and just fell over anytime anyone was within a 12 mile radius of him and moaned about it.

I know what you are getting at though some strikers do the ugly work, could he be the new man who does "unseen work" for Hibs?

Nut because he's just signed for St Mirren :greengrin

Stevie Reid
20-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Someone on here recently said that him and Graham Alexander were both off to St. Mirren

Mon Dieu4
20-05-2011, 10:01 AM

:faf::faf: Good point and I set myself up for that one

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I watched him a few times on tv for Burnley this season, and to be fair he was ok. Not 100% sure he's any better than what we have, he's a different type but he does not score many goals.

I always thought he looked OK G. Just surprised he has gone to Paisley.....

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Due to nobody offering any more.

Agree Andy but still a bit surprised that St Mirren have landed him....

Hamish
20-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Agree Andy but still a bit surprised that St Mirren have landed him....

Led to believe there was interest from us. Sure he has his reasons for choosing the Buddies.

JimBHibees
20-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Led to believe there was interest from us. Sure he has his reasons for choosing the Buddies.

Dont think he is your archetypal footballer so may not just be about money for him, think he is into his music and plays in a band and is from Paisley, may also have a young family I suppose.

Very injury prone so a bit of a gamble but if he stays fit is a decent player at SPL level.

ScottB
20-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Because he is, was and always will be gash and a big carthorse, dont let the fact der Hun splashed out a couple of million fool you into believing he is good, Nish probably has better stats in the SPL than him

To be fair, Nish has more goals than all but 6 or 7 strikers to have ever played in the SPL :wink:

Ryan69
20-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Its easy to entice below average players.

Dunbar Hibee
20-05-2011, 10:50 AM

Not sure about him but his family are all St Mirren daft.

.Sean.
20-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Not sure about him but his family are all St Mirren daft.I'm sure 'boyhood Rangers fan' garbage surfaced when he signed for the Huns, hadn't heard of him coming from a St Mirren family however.

California-Hibs
20-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I'll be honest, i'm actually abit gutted about this. He's a very good player and i watched him a few times last season and he would of been a very good signing for us! I was holding out that we might land him, but to go to St Mirren?? He's far too good for them! :confused:

Craig_in_Prague
20-05-2011, 11:15 AM
I noticed St J have signed Robertson from D UTD and Higgins from Dundee.

Funny how clubs seem to go and get players they need, where as with Hibs it always feels like we'll be sitting waiting for news until the window slams shut.

Really hope CC get's some decent players as quick as possible, so that we're not 4-5 games into the season and still waiting to see who we might sign.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Its easy to entice below average players.

Is he below average?

Frazerbob
20-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I noticed St J have signed Robertson from D UTD and Higgins from Dundee.

Funny how clubs seem to go and get players they need, where as with Hibs it always feels like we'll be sitting waiting for news until the window slams shut.

Really hope CC get's some decent players as quick as possible, so that we're not 4-5 games into the season and still waiting to see who we might sign.

Now come on, we have signed AoB on feet.

Dashing Bob S
20-05-2011, 01:12 PM
He's dire. One of the great mysteries of how he was capped for Scotland so many times.

Wait...

allezsauzee
20-05-2011, 01:19 PM
He's dire. One of the great mysteries of how he was capped for Scotland so many times.

Wait...

Don't you go giving Levein ideas now!!!

franco
20-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Someone on here recently said that him and Graham Alexander were both off to St. Mirren

It was me mate i got told a few weeks ago this was all done and dusted. Graham alexander has knocked them back as i was told he was offered the morcambe job as a player manager role but not sure if its been announced yet if not get to the bookies :wink:

Jim44
20-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Except for a few pence more in wages why would he come to ER when he could join a club he has affection for and one which presently has a more honest, commited group of players.

allezsauzee
20-05-2011, 01:29 PM
It was me mate i got told a few weeks ago this was all done and dusted. Graham alexander has knocked them back as i was told he was offered the morcambe job as a player manager role but not sure if its been announced yet if not get to the bookies :wink:

Hmm do you think that would be Wise?

Brooster
20-05-2011, 01:35 PM
He is overweight and slower than a week in Saughton - let him sign for St Mirren.

easty
20-05-2011, 01:37 PM
He is overweight and slower than a week in Saughton - let him sign for St Mirren.

How long is a week in Saughton?

FitbaFolkKen
20-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I had heard, and I'm pretty sure I read that he was offered a deal with us but chose St Mirren.......can't say i'm too unhappy about that to be honest! It is however a concern if the splendour of Paisley is more appealing than ER.

Andy74
20-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I had heard, and I'm pretty sure I read that he was offered a deal with us but chose St Mirren.......can't say i'm too unhappy about that to be honest! It is however a concern if the splendour of Paisley is more appealing than ER.

Could be that he was offered a role as Sodje's understudy and chose to play football most weeks instead? Not that I think we'd be in for him.

franco
20-05-2011, 03:11 PM

give me sunshine :agree:

erin go bragh
20-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Has not signed yet ,he has verbally agreed to sign but is on holiday just now [he might do a mo johnstone and sign for morton:greengrin] glad we have not signed, as dirty currant bun with pash scoring record.
ggtth

HibbyAndy
20-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Steven Thompson? Eh.Naw :no way:

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 04:26 PM

a week:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Steven Thompson? Eh.Naw :no way:

dont worry Andy he's no coming here

HibbyAndy
20-05-2011, 05:16 PM
dont worry Andy he's no coming here

Good, Cause i would rather have had John Sutton, Much better player IMO.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Good, Cause i would rather have had John Sutton, Much better player IMO.

he's no coming either.....

CRAZYHIBBY
20-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I reckon we dodged a bullet here:agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-05-2011, 06:24 PM
As a player he has made not a lot of talent go a long way, so good on him for that. Decent for St Mirren but not for Hibs.

Gettin' Auld
20-05-2011, 06:40 PM

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/tee%20hee%20hee.gif

Gettin' Auld
20-05-2011, 06:43 PM
About 4 days with good behaviour.

HibbyAndy
20-05-2011, 07:44 PM
he's no coming either.....

:greengrin

What aboot his brother is he still kicking aboot?

jdships
20-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Perhaps because nobody else wants him?

Ar 32 his "best " days are passed - milk turns quicker .
"Not Hibs class" :greengrin