PDA

View Full Version : Well done Sol

CallumLaidlaw
20-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Looks like Sol is Premiership bound.
Villa have bid £2.6m for him apparently.
Would love him to go to Everton tho

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/7585/7/aston-villa-fulham-and-everton-all-after-leicester-city-defender

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Surely not, he's a bombscare, what do these premiership clubs know?

CallumLaidlaw
20-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Surely not, he's a bombscare, what do these premiership clubs know?

I know. Clueless the lot of them :wink:

Prawn Sandwich
20-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Surely RP will have written into Leicester City's transfer from Hibs a wee sell on clause?

Westie1875
20-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Sell on clause perhaps?

CallumLaidlaw
20-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Sell on clause perhaps?

Dunno. Wouldve been hard to put one in with 6 months left on his contract

Beefster
20-05-2011, 08:20 AM

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/7585/7/aston-villa-fulham-and-everton-all-after-leicester-city-defender

Good for Bamba. Someone allegedly not good enough for Hibs is interesting top clubs - quelle surprise that once again, as a support, we're shown to know the square root of **** all.

scoopyboy
20-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Dunno. Wouldve been hard to put one in with 6 months left on his contract

For me the killer was that he didn't play in the World Cup, if he had I'm sure he would have been sold in the summer for the fee he is about to go for.

Rod just might have put a wee sell on clause in.

scoopyboy
20-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Good for Bamba. Someone allegedly not good enough for Hibs is interesting top clubs - quelle surprise that once again, as a support, we're shown to know the square root of **** all.

I think most people felt he was good enough, it was his attitude towards the end that annoyed people more.

He didn't want to be at Hibs latterly and it showed.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Whilst I agree to a certain extent, his mind was certainly not on the job whilst he was here. He either did not want to be here, as he wanted bigger and better things, or he had the baby he had to stripper on his mind.

During games you could see his concentration levels dipping and his mind was elsewhere, which is why he made so many mistakes for us....

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 08:38 AM

sold in January for 200,000 now valued at 2.6 million, I hope we had a sell on clause.....

Kojock
20-05-2011, 08:48 AM
sold in January for 200,000 now valued at 2.6 million, I hope we had a sell on clause.....

Dont know about a sell on clause but I know Hibs were to get money if Leicester City got promoted.

The Sea-gull
20-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Got to remember a player's worth is largely determined by the length of his contract as well as the obvious factors such as ability, demand for his services, club he plays for and league they are in.

Last summer, at Hibs, with a year to go on his contract, world cup appearances or not we would never have got 2.6m for him.

By January his value had plummeted even more and we got what was probably a fair enough price for him.

This will happen to us again as we will have a lot of players who teams will not pay big money for whilst they have years on their contract but we will now and again have the odd one where teams think they'll move for the player when they have 1 year or 6 months left on their contract. the next one of these I predict will be Palsson.

The ones who maybe look a bit stupid now are the EPL clubs who have to pay 2m for Bamba when they could have had him for a tenth of that 6 months ago.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Dont know about a sell on clause but I know Hibs were to get money if Leicester City got promoted.

That is that blown out of the water then HSH......:rolleyes:

ScottB
20-05-2011, 09:00 AM
I think most people felt he was good enough, it was his attitude towards the end that annoyed people more.

That was it exactly.

Never said he wasn't good enough, for much of his last season with us he didn't bother his a**e and consequently didn't play as well as he clearly can.

Liams
20-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Quick Question! If he does move, do we get anymoney for him moving? like what happened with fletch when he went from Hibs - Burnly - Wolve?

zlatan
20-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Bamba :not worth

SteveHFC
20-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Ivory Coast defender Souleymane Bamba is a target for a host of Premier League sides, according to French newspaper L'Sport.
Aston Villa (http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/clubs/t7/aston-villa), Fulham (http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/clubs/t54/fulham) and Everton (http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/clubs/t11/everton) are all keen on the Leicester City (http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/clubs/t13/leicester-city) centre-back, however Ligue 1's Olympique Marseille are also in the hunt for the 26-year-old.
And Marseille, along with Villa, appear to be the front-runners for Bamba's signature, with L'Sport writing that Gerard Houllier (http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/term/gerard-houllier)'s side have submitted a bid of £2.6m while the French club have sent scouts to watch the former Paris Saint-Germain player in action.
Bamba only moved to Sven Goran Eriksson's side in January from Scottish side Hibernian signing a deal until 2013, however he has previously stated he is flattered to have been linked with a switch to the Premier League.

allezsauzee
20-05-2011, 01:06 PM
At last Houllier will have made a signing that made paying 500k for Djimi Traore look a bargain

easty
20-05-2011, 01:07 PM
At last Houllier will have made a signing that made paying 500k for Djimi Traore look a bargain

Champions League winner Djimi Traore. :wink:

allezsauzee
20-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Champions League winner Djimi Traore. :wink:

Ha ha indeed...proves that anything is possible in football

Beefster
20-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Not on the pitch it didn't IMO. He was still one of our best players most weeks. Folk get hung up on tittle tattle coming out of East Mains.

CallumLaidlaw
20-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Not on the pitch it didn't IMO. He was still one of our best players most weeks. Folk get hung up on stories coming out of East Mains.

:top marks

He was our best player in the 1st half of the season.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2011, 02:35 PM

He was our best player in the 1st half of the season.

I'd go as far as saying he's the best centre half i have seen at easter road in 40 years. (sauzee was not a centre half).

col02
20-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd go as far as saying he's the best centre half i have seen at easter road in 40 years. (sauzee was not a centre half).

He was certainly a lot better than Rob Jones too who many lauded as some sort of hero!

Luna_Asylum
20-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Quick Question! If he does move, do we get anymoney for him moving? like what happened with fletch when he went from Hibs - Burnly - Wolve?

at least 25% otherwise the tash has seriously his touch

erin go bragh
20-05-2011, 03:28 PM
What about benny brazil :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
ggtth

hibsboy90
20-05-2011, 03:30 PM
For me the killer was that he didn't play in the World Cup, if he had I'm sure he would have been sold in the summer for the fee he is about to go for.

Rod just might have put a wee sell on clause in.
This is my real bug bear regarding Bamba.

In the run up to the WC, Bamba started virtually every game for the national side in the previous few seasons and having watched quite a few of the games he didn't look out of place. Sven swoops in to manage the side, doesnt even come up to watch an SPL game, instead watches a Fulham centre half who hadn't played for the national side for years.

It comes to the WC, this Fulham player is also in the squad but doesnt play. He plays Zokora (a midfielder) at centre half and they play poorly. Bamba doesnt get a look in even though he'd been a permanent fixture in the side that qualified.

Post World Cup Sven leaves £3m better off after 3 matches, Bambas value drops and hibs have to cash in on an unhappy player at a value far below what we could have got.

Who buys him????? Sven, the same guy who ignored him during the World Cup, yet deemed him good enough for his championship team, and let his value for hibs plummet.

Kaiser1962
20-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Still think the best game I saw him play was against us at Hampden in the SC replay. Undoubtedly a player in there if he can be arsed.

There's been a few decent CH's over that period, or who played in that position.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Still think the best game I saw him play was against us at Hampden in the SC replay. Undoubtedly a player in there if he can be arsed.

There's been a few decent CH's over that period, or who played in that position.

Really, there's not been 1 that i can remember who has been remotely near good enough to play in the EPL.

Sol had his faults at Hibs, but i wish we still had him now. Personally i thought he tried to do too much at times, but in a better side he can concentrate on doing what he's good at, and let the other player do what they do best too.

Wee Scottie Dug
20-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Really, there's not been 1 that i can remember who has been remotely near good enough to play in the EPL.

Sol had his faults at Hibs, but i wish we still had him now. Personally i thought he tried to do too much at times, but in a better side he can concentrate on doing what he's good at, and let the other player do what they do best too.

Gary 'cough' Caldwell - you know Stephen's brother who currently plays for Wigan although I cant argue with you if you say he's not Premiership class - obviusly Martinez disagrees with our opinion!

3pm
20-05-2011, 04:13 PM
It remains to be seen if he is good enough to play in the EPL! :devil:

Kaiser1962
20-05-2011, 04:29 PM

Its a matter of opinion BH but, of the top of my head I might offer Jim Black, John Blackley, Jackie MacNamara, Craig Paterson. I liked Gordon Rae and Graham Mitchell as central defenders. And of course Gary Caldwell is in the EPL although I thought he WAS a bombscare. Its all about taste.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Its a matter of opinion BH but, of the top of my head I might offer Jim Black, John Blackley, Jackie MacNamara, Craig Paterson. I liked Gordon Rae and Graham Mitchell as central defenders. And of course Gary Caldwell is in the EPL although I thought he WAS a bombscare. Its all about taste.

Caldwell has learned nothing and can still be seen arm aloft hailing a taxi.....:wink:

down-the-slope
20-05-2011, 04:43 PM
If the Tache got a clause in then it could save the player budget (given reduced season sales)...if he didn't then he needs :slipper:.....

Sol is in clover...one big sign on fee from LC as he was cheap...now the chance of another big one...

We are going to get a reputation...Fletcher...and now Sol...

Suits me as it will mean that the OF are not the only game in town when players need cashed in on...

PS - its one in the eye to those who will moan like girls when we are linked with £30,000 ist div players

scoopyboy
20-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Not on the pitch it didn't IMO. He was still one of our best players most weeks. Folk get hung up on tittle tattle coming out of East Mains.

You are of coarse entitled to your opinion.

As for the tittle tattle coming out of East Mains I was a poster of some of it, it was factually correct.

The day before the 2-0 defeat at Hamilton Bamba and Hughes had a set to, yet he was picked the following day and Hogg was dropped. The players were apalled and this had an effect on the performance, it was what Hogg kept referring to without actually saying what happened.

There were other games that season where he was out of order.

This season his heart lay elsewhere but he still played well. In December he missed a couple of games and the club made excuses, the bottom line was he wasn't wanting to play.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 05:04 PM

As for the tittle tattle coming out of East Mains I was a poster of some of it, it was factually correct.

The day before the 2-0 defeat at Hamilton Bamba and Hughes had a set to, yet he was picked the following day and Hogg was dropped. The players were apalled and this had an effect on the performance, it was what Hogg kept referring to without actually saying what happened.

This season his heart lay elsewhere but he still played well. In December he missed a couple of games and the club made excuses, the bottom line was he wasn't wanting to play.

He also missed pre season training in Holland. A player I spoke to whilst I was there was furious, and Yogi told me that was Bamba finished. However he was selected for the Maribor match:confused:

BEEJ
20-05-2011, 05:09 PM
This is my real bug bear regarding Bamba.

In the run up to the WC, Bamba started virtually every game for the national side in the previous few seasons and having watched quite a few of the games he didn't look out of place. Sven swoops in to manage the side, doesnt even come up to watch an SPL game, instead watches a Fulham centre half who hadn't played for the national side for years.

It comes to the WC, this Fulham player is also in the squad but doesnt play. He plays Zokora (a midfielder) at centre half and they play poorly. Bamba doesnt get a look in even though he'd been a permanent fixture in the side that qualified.

Post World Cup Sven leaves £3m better off after 3 matches, Bambas value drops and hibs have to cash in on an unhappy player at a value far below what we could have got.

Who buys him????? Sven, the same guy who ignored him during the World Cup, yet deemed him good enough for his championship team, and let his value for hibs plummet.
:agree: :top marks

Good old Sven has probably cost our club a couple of million.

scoopyboy
20-05-2011, 05:10 PM
He also missed pre season training in Holland. A player I spoke to whilst I was there was furious, and Yogi told me that was Bamba finished. However he was selected for the Maribor match:confused:

Aye the return leg. We needed him in Maribor for the first leg when he was AWOL.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Aye the return leg. We needed him in Maribor for the first leg when he was AWOL.

Exactly Jock.....

Bob Box Fish
20-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Sol was a quality player for us but for the latter part he just didn't want to be here and his performances and attitude reflected that.

Beefster
20-05-2011, 07:46 PM

I'm not disputing his behaviour. As I've said consistently, it's the clubs job to manage their employees and, as a supporter, I only care about how those employees perform on the pitch. Hibs fans (and players for that matter) do love to get outraged by trivial nonsense - whether it's Bamba, Stokes, McCormack, Grof, Riordan or whoever.

By the way, 'tittle tattle' doesn't imply that it is incorrect, just that it's gossip. The players who were appalled should try paying hundreds of pounds to watch them play whilst a player who allegedly is a bad apple performs head and shoulders above them. Special players at a club get concessions - that's life. Most of the Hibs squad will never get concessions, sadly for them and us.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Not sure that there was any serious debate about whether Sol was good enough for Hibs? Certainly a lot of debate about his best position. IMO he would have been terrific played in front of two quality centre halfs cos he loved piling forward. No real question that at times his attitude fell way short though.

PeterboroHibee
20-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Not sure that there was any serious debate about whether Sol was good enough for Hibs? Certainly a lot of debate about his best position. IMO he would have been terrific played in front of two quality centre halfs cos he loved piling forward. No real question that at times his attitude fell way short though.

Agree with that. He was top class in front of the back four, won everything and could carry the ball forward. Even when he had the odd slip up, he had the defence to cover him. I know he wanted to be a CB but he was always at his best in midfield imo.

Good luck to him if he gets a move to the Premiership, always thought he had the ability but mentally Im not sure. Was quite happy to shun Hibs whenever Ivory Coast came calling, never returning on time, and there were times when he would strut around the pitch like he was above it all, often having a nightmare performance (St Johnstone 5-1 for example).

blackpoolhibs
21-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm not disputing his behaviour. As I've said consistently, it's the clubs job to manage their employees and, as a supporter, I only care about how those employees perform on the pitch. Hibs fans (and players for that matter) do love to get outraged by trivial nonsense - whether it's Bamba, Stokes, McCormack, Grof, Riordan or whoever.

By the way, 'tittle tattle' doesn't imply that it is incorrect, just that it's gossip. The players who were appalled should try paying hundreds of pounds to watch them play whilst a player who allegedly is a bad apple performs head and shoulders above them. Special players at a club get concessions - that's life. Most of the Hibs squad will never get concessions, sadly for them and us.

:agree: Exactly, in fact i'm often appalled at most of this lots performances each week. And as you say, this lot bar a couple will NEVER earn the right to be give any concessions, most are at the biggest club they will EVER play for, hopefully not for much longer though?

Luna_Asylum
21-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Agree with that. He was top class in front of the back four, won everything and could carry the ball forward. Even when he had the odd slip up, he had the defence to cover him. I know he wanted to be a CB but he was always at his best in midfield imo.

Good luck to him if he gets a move to the Premiership, always thought he had the ability but mentally Im not sure. Was quite happy to shun Hibs whenever Ivory Coast came calling, never returning on time, and there were times when he would strut around the pitch like he was above it all, often having a nightmare performance (St Johnstone 5-1 for example).

He should have emptied after this:

Even then, Bamba's troubles weren't over as it took him the best part of a week to travel back to Edinburgh, arriving in the Capital only hours before Hibs' SPL clash with St Mirren, a match he was desperate to play in having missed his club's games against Hearts, Dundee United, Hamilton, Celtic and the Scottish Cup tie with Irvine Meadow.

He explained: "It was a nightmare, unbelievable. We were meant to leave Angola on the Monday having lost the previous day. I don't know what happened but we were then told we couldn't leave until the Tuesday.

"We had a private plane coming for us, we went to the airport and saw it come in only to be told there was a problem with it. As a result we couldn't fly out to the Wednesday night. It's a four-hour flight to Abidjan from Angola, there's a three-hour time difference and, as a result, we arrived back in the Ivory Coast too late for me to catch my flight to Paris.

"There is only one flight a day from Abidjan to Paris, at night, so I left on the Friday evening, got into Charles De Gaulle Airport the next morning and arrived in Edinburgh at 9.30am.

"I just had time to go home, grab my stuff and report for the game. I sat down with John Hughes, he said he wanted me to play and asked if I was okay. I wanted to get back out in front of my own fans, to play for my club again and I said 'yes'. I think it was the right decision. Unfortunately I scored that own goal after only a few minutes but, as we won, it's all forgotten about now."

Kojock
21-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Jim Black was an average CH who was lucky to have an excellent sweeper in John Blackley who got JB out of many a hole.

Jackie MacNamara was a sweeper.

Craig Paterson showed great promise at ER but turned into a hatchet man when he defected to the Huns.

Gordon Rae was a centre forward who later moved to CH. Good honest player who always gave his all.

Graham Mitchell was a left back.

Gary Caldwell one minute excellent the next giving away a goal.

Opinions Eh !! :aok:

jdships
21-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Bamba at East End Park and with Hibs was a "law unto himself" - that has been confirmed to me by people from both clubs
As for " managing their employees "
No matter be it office , industry or sport there will always be someone who is a rebel/ s..t stirrer by nature or design and Bamba appears from from those he worked with to be just that .
Situations like that are , unfortunately ,part of life and have to be either worked round or the person removed

Club/Company is bigger than the individual :flag:

CallumLaidlaw
21-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Bamba at East End Park and with Hibs was a "law unto himself" - that has been confirmed to me by people from both clubs
No matter be it office , industry or sport there will always be someone who is a rebel/ s..t stirrer by nature or design and Bamba appears from from those he worked with to be just that .
Situations like that are , unfortunately ,part of life and have to be either worked round or the person removed

And yet its bamba that appears to be flourishing, rather than the club he left.

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Jim Black was an average CH who was lucky to have an excellent sweeper in John Blackley who got JB out of many a hole.

Who formed a central defensive pairing togeter. Cilla was very underated IMO

Jackie MacNamara was a sweeper.

Who played in the centre of defence with amongst others, Gordon Rae and George Stewart.

Craig Paterson showed great promise at ER but turned into a hatchet man when he defected to the Huns.

Again he was good enough, which was teh question, but was ruined by the dark side.

Gordon Rae was a centre forward who later moved to CH. Good honest player who always gave his all.

But its as a centre half that he shone. A good no-nonsense CH.

Graham Mitchell was a left back.

Who formed a more than decent central defensive pairing with Geebsie when Sneddon and Miller were the full backs. Could have included Hunter as well. Decent central defender.

Gary Caldwell one minute excellent the next giving away a goal.

No argument there.

Opinions Eh !! :aok:

Could also have included Smith, Fenwick or Jack as they could all have done a job but didnt as they were probably made to look a lot better than they were by Sauzee. It was as a midfielder/assassin that Mathias is probably best remembered.

Back to Bamba there may have been something in it when Yogi sad that Stack got more out of Bamba by shouting at him. Imagine what Gordon Rae would have done with him?

The training gound incident between Hughes and Bamba may well be regarded as gossip or tittle tattle but that dosent alter the fact that it, and others, happened.

Bamba is good when he applies himself, but only about half as good as he actually thinks he is.

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 10:25 AM

For the time being. Lets see how he goes if he doesent get his own way.

As for management techniques you either try accomodate it to the detriment of the overall dynamic or, as most management journals will tell you, you remove the element early before it becomes terminal. We didnt act early enough and we're in intensive care.

Beefster
21-05-2011, 10:25 AM

Again, I don't disagree but Hibs managed the situation, as all employers have to do with ********s. It shouldn't be a major concern to the support - especially when most of the playing staff aren't doing their job on the pitch but the 'law unto himself' is.

jdships
21-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Depends on why he is being sold and the meaning of "flourishing" :greengrin

It is just my opinion :wink: but I don't think he was a big loss when he left .
Circumstances changed as the season went on and we didn't come up with a decent replacement :confused:

ScottB
21-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Can't disagree with that enough.

It's the job of the player to be training when scheduled, to put in what is expected of them, to live a life conducive to playing the game.

If you have a guy who turns up when he likes, doesn't bother when he does etc. that will have an unbalancing effect on the squad, never mind that if this player still gets picked, ahead of guys who've been training all week and busting their ass for a chance to play, what message does that send?

It's no coincidence in my mind that our form collapsed when Bamba eventually returned from the African Cup of Nations and sauntered back into the team, ahead of guys who had been training and playing.

Regardless of ability, players are employees, and they have a job to do. Like any workplace if anybody is taking the utter p*ss with how they do their job it will unbalance the whole thing.

Just take Stokes as another example, again Celtic aren't playing him today, despite his unquestioned talent. Players who cause problems shouldn't be given a blank cheque for mayhem, such an attitude is the source of most of our problems in recent years for me.

blackpoolhibs
21-05-2011, 02:14 PM

It's the job of the player to be training when scheduled, to put in what is expected of them, to live a life conducive to playing the game.

If you have a guy who turns up when he likes, doesn't bother when he does etc. that will have an unbalancing effect on the squad, never mind that if this player still gets picked, ahead of guys who've been training all week and busting their ass for a chance to play, what message does that send?

It's no coincidence in my mind that our form collapsed when Bamba eventually returned from the African Cup of Nations and sauntered back into the team, ahead of guys who had been training and playing.

Regardless of ability, players are employees, and they have a job to do. Like any workplace if anybody is taking the utter p*ss with how they do their job it will unbalance the whole thing.

Just take Stokes as another example, again Celtic aren't playing him today, despite his unquestioned talent. Players who cause problems shouldn't be given a blank cheque for mayhem, such an attitude is the source of most of our problems in recent years for me.

I agree its not great to have any dissruptive players in the squad/team. Yet i defy anyone to say we are a better team without those two. They might be ********s, but they were ********s who could play.

ScottB
21-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I agree its not great to have any dissruptive players in the squad/team. Yet i defy anyone to say we are a better team without those two. They might be ********s, but they were ********s who could play.

Second half of Hughes' last season our form was even worse than it has been this season no?

Beefster
21-05-2011, 02:45 PM

I'm not sure how many times I have to say that I'm not condoning bad behaviour. I just don't see why supporters concern themselves with run of the mill, internal disciplinary matters. Some folk obviously have too little to worry about in their own lives, fancy themselves as amateur HR managers, lead angelic existences and don't care how ***** we are as long as the under-performing players are happy and don't take offence at how the club is managed.

How do you know such an attitude is the source of most of our problems btw? And why didn't we massively improve when Stokes and Bamba left? Hogg's attitude was apparently exemplary - why are we shipping out players like that? Probably because talent is more important that being a nice guy at a football club.

PS if players are knocking their pan in at training and still not getting a game over the naughty players, I think it sends the message that they are not good enough. They should maybe try a First Division club.

ScottB
21-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure how many times I have to say that I'm not condoning bad behaviour. I just don't see why supporters concern themselves with run of the mill, internal disciplinary matters. Some folk obviously have too little to worry about in their own lives, fancy themselves as amateur HR managers, lead angelic existences and don't care how ***** we are as long as the under-performing players are happy and don't take offence at how the club is managed.

How do you know such an attitude is the source of most of our problems btw? And why didn't we massively improve when Stokes and Bamba left? Hogg's attitude was apparently exemplary - why are we shipping out players like that? Probably because talent is more important that being a nice guy at a football club.

PS if players are knocking their pan in at training and still not getting a game over the naughty players, I think it sends the message that they are not good enough. They should maybe try a First Division club.

Did we get any worse after Bamba and Stokes left?

We were mince with them, since January 2010, don't forget that.

Why do I care? Eh because if folk are unbalancing the side it makes us worse? I object to my money being used to pay some guy who cares so little he doesn't bother turning up for training? Any number of reasons really.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have guys as good as those two in the team, but not ignoring all their off field issues. Sure, Bamba is great, but how often did he show it in his last year or so with us? Stokes is a top goalscorer, but no surprise that he's about to be dumped out of his second club within a year for his off field antics.

Our 'top' players, who by their nature are going to be on top dollar, need to be delivering it week in week out, and be an example to the young guys at the club. There's no point having these type of guys around if they only display it once every four games.

Baldy Foghorn
21-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Did we get any worse after Bamba and Stokes left?

We were mince with them, since January 2010, don't forget that.

Why do I care? Eh because if folk are unbalancing the side it makes us worse? I object to my money being used to pay some guy who cares so little he doesn't bother turning up for training? Any number of reasons really.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have guys as good as those two in the team, but not ignoring all their off field issues. Sure, Bamba is great, but how often did he show it in his last year or so with us? Stokes is a top goalscorer, but no surprise that he's about to be dumped out of his second club within a year for his off field antics.

Our 'top' players, who by their nature are going to be on top dollar, need to be delivering it week in week out, and be an example to the young guys at the club. There's no point having these type of guys around if they only display it once every four games.

:top marks Good post

Luna_Asylum
21-05-2011, 06:44 PM
:top marks Good post

except for a slight flaw - bamba was motm every other game he played for us

Cropley10
21-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Fantastic news that a player we sold the very first second we possibly could is now going to be sold for 10 times what we sold him for only 6 months ago.

Absolutely fantastic piece of business. Well done Mr Petrie.

CropleyWasGod
21-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Fantastic news that a player we sold the very first second we possibly could is now going to be sold for 10 times what we sold him for only 6 months ago.

Is this the same player that, six months after we sold him, could have walked out and signed for anybody he wanted, without us getting a bean?

If so then I agree with your last sentence.

stokesmessiah
21-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Is this the same player that, six months after we sold him, could have walked out and signed for anybody he wanted, without us getting a bean?

I like this :agree:

ScottB
21-05-2011, 09:16 PM

How many transfer windows was he here for before we sold him in the very last one he'd be with us for?

No, you're right, was definitely the first possible second.

Kaiser1962
21-05-2011, 10:30 PM

:agree:

I could add more but I can no longer be arsed.

soupy
22-05-2011, 06:41 AM
except for a slight flaw - bamba was motm every other game he played for us

Don't agree, imho, Bamba could be a world beater for a couple of games then an absolute bombscare the next.

Still wish we had him now tho :)

JoeT
22-05-2011, 06:53 AM
It remains to be seen if he is good enough to play in the EPL! :devil:

It remains to be seen if he actually ever plays in the EPL, we've seen these rumours about Bamba going to EPL clubs quite a few times......

aberhibsfc
22-05-2011, 07:07 AM

Unless the're a sell on, I'm no too bothered in how is career goes. Towards the end of his time at ER, he didn't apply himself. I appreciate that it's a job, but we were paying him at the time.

Baldy Foghorn
22-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Unless the're a sell on, I'm no too bothered in how is career goes. Towards the end of his time at ER, he didn't apply himself. I appreciate that it's a job, but we were paying him at the time.

Albanian Hibs
22-05-2011, 10:32 AM

:agree:

Cropley10
22-05-2011, 03:16 PM
How many transfer windows was he here for before we sold him in the very last one he'd be with us for?

No, you're right, was definitely the first possible second.

I'm pretty certain there were no other firm offers for Sol before Leicester came in for him. And we sold him Day 1 of the January transfer window. So we sold him the first second we could, in the last 6 months of his contract.

Sure he could have left us for nowt in 6 months, because we'd not offered him a longer, better contract IIRC.

ScottB
22-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty certain there were no other firm offers for Sol before Leicester came in for him. And we sold him Day 1 of the January transfer window. So we sold him the first second we could, in the last 6 months of his contract.

Sure he could have left us for nowt in 6 months, because we'd not offered him a longer, better contract IIRC.

You honestly think he wanted to stay do you?

Nonsense.

Littlest Hobo
22-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Not a team player in my opinion and any EPL side who buy him seriously need to think twice about buying a player who's only interest is HIMSELF! COMPLETE F A MAN.

CallumLaidlaw
22-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Not a team player in my opinion and any EPL side who buy him seriously need to think twice about buying a player who's only interest is HIMSELF! COMPLETE K OF A MAN.

Bit harsh no? Yes he may be selfish when it comes to his career, but that is all

Beefster
22-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Not a team player in my opinion and any EPL side who buy him seriously need to think twice about buying a player who's only interest is HIMSELF! COMPLETE OF A MAN.

How long have you known him?