PDA

View Full Version : Could glamour friendlies attract bigger named players to ER??

Mon the Hibs
19-05-2011, 03:37 PM
With a forum yesterday saying that the arranged friendlies against the small teams such as East Fife could be good for trying out different formations and also hammering them could help confidence but could glamour friendlies such as Barcelona A.C Milan attract better players??
Lots of players would have dreamt about playing against players such as Messi and Villa, so could the prospect of playing against them lure them to ER??

marinello59
19-05-2011, 03:40 PM
In a one off friendly? No.

PaulSmith
19-05-2011, 03:55 PM
With a forum yesterday saying that the arranged friendlies against the small teams such as East Fife could be good for trying out different formations and also hammering them could help confidence but could glamour friendlies such as Barcelona A.C Milan attract better players??
Lots of players would have dreamt about playing against players such as Messi and Villa, so could the prospect of playing against them lure them to ER??

Have you got a spare £500k to £1m to ask Barca or similar to come to Easter Road :rolleyes:

ScottB
19-05-2011, 03:59 PM

No.

Regular European football where we actually make group stages would I suspect. Meaningless friendlies will not.

Besides, getting pumped by Barcelona teaches us nothing. Would have liked to have seen at least one low end Premiership team come up like we used to do though to give us a bit of a test pre season, but so be it.

Mon the Hibs
19-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Have you got a spare £500k to £1m to ask Barca or similar to come to Easter Road :rolleyes:
Fair enough, i would much rather that money be spent on players and not some friendly

PeeJay
19-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Personally I'd be very wary of expecting Hibs to be capable of actually hammering anyone - more than a few posters here on Hibs.net thought a spell in the SPL bottom six would 'be good for us', i.e. enabling us to hammer the opposition, gain confidence and be ready for next season...didn't quite work out, did it?

CropleyWasGod
19-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Ah, call me an old cynic, but...... glamour friendlies, splashing cash that we don't have (see your other thread), ....one might think that you want us to act like big teams do.

:rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
19-05-2011, 04:25 PM

We might ask for a sub from the big team. (every pun intended).

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Excuse my cheek but wtf has the op been on the last few days? surely from the dark side!

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Forgot to say, have we not played Villa recently anyway? tee hee!

iwasthere1972
19-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't know which one is dafter. The poster or me for even bothering to read the thread.

Whatever next - Ivan for captain?

I blame the big supermarkets for selling cheap booze.

Wilson
19-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Regularly qualifying for, and lasting in, European competitions might have an impact in terms of attracting (and paying) a better quality of player.

I'm not sure that viewing hibs as a ticket to a one off glamour friendly is the type of motivation I'd look for in a potential hibs recruit.

Mon the Hibs
19-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Regularly qualifying for, and lasting in, European competitions might have an impact in terms of attracting (and paying) a better quality of player.

I'm not sure that viewing hibs as a ticket to a one off glamour friendly is the type of motivation I'd look for in a potential hibs recruit.
Yes i agree with your post. It was probably a bad thread i started anyway just wanting some opinions

essexhibee
19-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Is anyone else really quite dissapointed we aren't playing an teams of note? Always fun for decent away trips (blackpool, blackburn etc ) really annoyed we aren't going to get any this season.

Captain Trips
19-05-2011, 10:55 PM

Wages will lure the players. A friendly and maybe 2 or 3 European matches is fine what will be on any players mind is the 36 SPL matches.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-05-2011, 05:22 AM
No wages will lure the players.

We should be able to sign some stars in that case! ;-)

LancashireHibby
20-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Although I can't see us getting any 'glamour' friendlies this year, I doubt the handful announced are the complete list so I'd still expect a lower EPL team to come to ER at the very least for a bit of a test?