PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with Ivan's return

H18sry
18-05-2011, 01:15 PM
With the thread about his return now running into 7 pages are you happy with it?

ian cruise
18-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes. I think he will be a good player to have in the squad in regards to commitment and experience.

first of many i hope :cgwa

DAVE1875
18-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I am undecided until I see him play

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes i'm reasonably happy with him coming back. If we can now go out and get Rob Jones too, i think i'd hyper ventilate. :devil:

Hibby Riki
18-05-2011, 02:27 PM
If Ivan does nothing else but give 100% effort every time he pulls on a Hibs jersey that will more effort than all the imposters we have just off loaded put together.

SneakersO'Toole
18-05-2011, 02:37 PM
His main asset is something that no one in our squad has - pace.

He also has in abundance something that is severely lacking from the squad - passion and work ethic.

I'm astonished if Hibs fans can't see this as anything other than a positive addition to the squad.

HibeeMG
18-05-2011, 02:47 PM

He also has in abundance something that is severely lacking from the squad - passion and work ethic.

I'm astonished if Hibs fans can't see this as anything other than a positive addition to the squad.

Be careful now, you'll be getting accused of taking the moral high ground and calling people bad hibees! :wink:

Seriously though, your points are, I imagine, the whole reason that CC has signed him.

Wilson
18-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm not too happy but then maybe I'm expecting too much.

A lot has been made of the clear out and how the running down of contracts may have been somewhat deliberate to oust the duds. Tie that in with Calderwood's statements about operating with a smaller squad (around 20), presumably of better quality, then perhaps I was looking for more of a statement of intent from our signings.

As a statement of intent and with an eye on a smaller squad then bringing back Ivan is not that inspired. He was a bit-part player before and has not excelled since he left. This really does smack of a signing designed to appease the fans. To boost ST sales as has been mooted or to soften the blow of Riordan leaving.

Even in the market we operate in I refuse to believe that this is the best we could do. That this is the calibre of player that is going to take us forward. I feel cheated by hibs if they think this is the case.

HibsMax
18-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm happy that he has returned but that doesn't mean it's going to work out. You can think he will be a good signing or you can think he will be a poor signing but nobody is right until we see him playing in the new (and improved) Hibs next season.

When all is said and done he could turn out to be a magnificent signing but if the players around him aren't then that won't do us much good.

Sorry to state the obvious but it's a team game and one signing isn't going to make much of a difference when you have as many weaknesses in the team as we do. He's just PART of the solution, not THE solution.

HibsMax
18-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm not too happy but then maybe I'm expecting too much.

A lot has been made of the clear out and how the running down of contracts may have been somewhat deliberate to oust the duds. Tie that in with Calderwood's statements about operating with a smaller squad (around 20), presumably of better quality, then perhaps I was looking for more of a statement of intent from our signings.

As a statement of intent and with an eye on a smaller squad then bringing back Ivan is not that inspired. He was a bit-part player before and has not excelled since he left. This really does smack of a signing designed to appease the fans. To boost ST sales as has been mooted or to soften the blow of Riordan leaving.

Even in the market we operate in I refuse to believe that this is the best we could do. That this is the calibre of player that is going to take us forward. I feel cheated by hibs if they think this is the case.
Golly, I wonder why the club would want to do that? :wink:

Gatecrasher
18-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I am happy, I would however like to think the people who aren't will at least give him a chance.

greenlex
Happy enough. To many players over the last few years just going through the motions rather than applying themselves for whatever reason. Ivan will give 100% every time so that is a move in the right direction.
One or two wee niggling thoughts though. Does he still have pace? I would hope this has been looked at in detail. Has he been foisted upon Calderwood by the board? There is nothing wrong with that if the player fits into what the manager has planned in way of a squad and this seems to be the case if you take into account Calderwoods comments on his signature. We sell some season tickets and shirts and the manager gets a decent player squad or otherwise is a win/win situation.
I will however look forward to the next lot of signings and prepare for next season.:flag:

HibsMax
I am happy, I would however like to think the people who aren't will at least give him a chance.
Guilty until proved innocent.

Gatecrasher
18-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Guilty until proved innocent.

Exactly

JE89
18-05-2011, 03:14 PM
If Ivan does nothing else but give 100% effort every time he pulls on a Hibs jersey that will more effort than all the imposters we have just off loaded put together.

Rankin gave 100% but wasn't good enough.

If Ivan has been brought in as a squad player - great.
1st team regular - not so great.
I chose undecided. Really hope he does well though.

smurf
18-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Squad player. Though happy.

Keith_M
18-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Dearie Me!

I thought it was bad enough when people on here were hounding players that DID play but now its seems we're hounding those that that haven't even started yet.

Hamish
18-05-2011, 03:27 PM
If he is anyway near the player that left Hibs he fits the main criteria, ie better than what we have just now.:agree:

Hamish
18-05-2011, 03:29 PM

You would think so but.......

Wilson
18-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Dearie Me!

I thought it was bad enough when people on here were hounding players that DID play but now its seems we're hounding those that that haven't even started yet.

Where do you get hounding from? Some fans have concerns about our signing policy and the messageboard is the place to debate them.

If you are looking for wave after wave of positivity and no criticism I think you have come to the wrong place :wink:

I'll still turn up for the first friendly hoping for the best in spite of my misgivings. I want Ivan and anyone else deemed fit to wear the green to do well - I always do.

Until then, if I feel that Calderwood and the board are falling short in their efforts to build for next season I'll be certain to say so.

silverhibee
18-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Sodje Galbraith Booth Vaz Te all have pace and are in the squad.

Plenty players at ER have passion playing for Hibs, lets see what Ivans work ethic is like once he has played for Hibs again, hope its the same as his last spell at Hibs. :aok: :agree:

I will feel positive when the new season starts and wee have also added a quality CB 2 CF and a big strong midfielder who doesn't get bullied all the time, midgets no more. :greengrin

Good luck Ivan. :hibees

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-05-2011, 03:37 PM
If he still has his super-quick heels the he is a welcome addtion. A quick ball from deep while the midfield are either dithering or have run out of ideas can get a few goals. Like Alex McLeish graciously commented after Ivan's 0-3 game, we just booted the ball into the corners.:rolleyes:

Hamish
18-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Sodje Galbraith Booth Vaz Te all have pace and are in the squad.

Plenty players at ER have passion playing for Hibs, lets see what Ivans work ethic is like once he has played for Hibs again, hope its the same as his last spell at Hibs. :aok: :agree:

I will feel positive when the new season starts and wee have also added a quality CB 2 CF and a big strong midfielder who doesn't get bullied all the time, midgets no more. :greengrin

Good luck Ivan. :hibees

Would have thought CC would have signed Palsson, Scott and Thornhill as a centre 3 that would not get bullied:dunno:. IMO we need a creative m/f to play between them and the striker

ScottS1875
18-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I think my avatar gives it away. Maybe get him to sign it again and tell my mum not to wash it this time :rolleyes:

Hamish
18-05-2011, 03:52 PM
I think my avatar gives it away. Maybe get him to sign it again and tell my mum not to wash it this time :rolleyes:

:greengrin

Sure Mum will be buying you a strip for the new season anyway so you can get him to sign that:wink:

DCI Gene Hunt
18-05-2011, 04:17 PM
If he's still got it he'll be more than welcome. However I shall refrain from judgment until he's played his first game. :agree:

G

Ritchie
18-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I love Ivan sproule but I wish he hadnt resigned to be honest.

I don't want to ruin the memories from before with a bad spell now.

He couldn't get a game for Yeovil, that's says it all for me.... Then again, our best player just now is akpo sodje.... So anythings possible

kaimendhibs
18-05-2011, 04:25 PM
YEEESSSSSSSS!! Delighted

Jay
18-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Really? What a numpty she is :na na:

bod
18-05-2011, 05:01 PM
voted no,if he was as good as he was 1st time the i'm sure here would've been other clubs chasing him

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-05-2011, 05:12 PM
voted no,if he was as good as he was 1st time the i'm sure here would've been other clubs chasing him

Ivan said there were options in England but wanted to come here

Golden Bear
18-05-2011, 05:17 PM
It's a case of "wait and see."

I hope that CC and his coaching staff did their background work and witnessed for themselves the form and physical condition that Ivan is currently in.

Let's hope they didn't sign the wee man simply because he was previously a fans' favourite.

bod
18-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Ivan said there were options in England but wanted to come here

he's hardly going to say " my agent contacted all the other clubs & they all knocked me back " is he.
In my younger days i used to believe every word that a footballer said,now i get the oppinion that what they say is to appease the fans.

iwasthere1972
18-05-2011, 05:33 PM
To be honest I said on a previous thread that I would prefer Ivan not to come back. I only said this because I preferred to remember Ivan for his humilation of the huns and I didn't want any future performances to dilute the memory.

However after this seasons lacklustre performances and our lack to take on the last man I am very very pleased that Ivan is returning. Even if he is half as fast as he was the last time he played for us, he'll still be quicker than anyone else that we have on the books. Plus he will give 100%.

Welcome back Ivan.

CRAZYHIBBY
18-05-2011, 05:36 PM
De****inlighted:cgwa

Franck Stanton
18-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I am very happy to see Ivan back at the club, he brings with him , apart from skill, speed and energy, A PASSION for the club - something that has been sadly missing fron 90% [if not 100%] of the duds currently employed by the club. Welcome home Ivan.
:not worth:not worth:not worth

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Delighted, he can't be any worse than the garbage we have already

Ryan91
18-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Glad to see Ivan back in the Green and White, however as to whether or not I'm happy with his return will have to wait until the season starts and he's had a few competitive games under his belt.

Hibee D
18-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Dont think he will turn us into top 3 material himself but will give 100% for the jersey and gets your bum off the seat when he runs at the defenders at that wil make a very pleasant change to last seasons dross

Horse
18-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Anyone who thinks Ivan is not a miles better than most of the toothless players we've had to endure this season needs their head examined. He has flair, pace, passion and skill as well as being a good finisher - all of which we have lacked for a long time now. Ivan is not the answer to all our problems but he is the sort of signing that will strengthen our squad and if we can get a few more like him we can look forward to a better season next year (it couldn't get much worse).

Plus the guy is a legend in my book! Welcome home Ivan, you brought a huge smile to my face when I got the text about the signing this afternoon. Lets hope this is the beginning of the return of passion to our team.

MyJo
18-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Sproule on the right wing and Vaz Te on the left wing it would look like next season, both players who have the ability and are willing to go past defenders and get the ball in the box as well as having a pop at goal themselves given the chance.

It looks good to me and i for one am delighted to see Ivan back :thumbsup:

Next up for CC is sorting out that bloody defence, Towell back on a permanent contract and a Rob Jones style centre half (hell if Sproule is back lets just get THE rob jones as well :greengrin) will do for starters.

R'Albin
18-05-2011, 07:23 PM
yes i am ****ing happy!:flag:

Baader
18-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Very pleased. Not expecting miracles but Ivan always gives 100% and that is something we have not even been getting from certain individuals. Will certainly strengthen the squad.

And in response to an earlier post that if he is still good then why weren't other clubs in for him - why did no-one sign him pro before we did first time around?

:flag:

erin go bragh
18-05-2011, 07:47 PM
With the thread about his return now running into 7 pages are you happy with it?
Happy ? no , im fin delighted :greengrin
ggtth

The_Todd
18-05-2011, 07:52 PM
He's by no means a world beater, but he's the type of player who gets you out of your seat when he gets the ball. In other words, he's entertaining - and thats the sort of player Hibs need to get bums on seats.

Sir David Gray
18-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Where's the "delighted" option? :greengrin

Absolutely ecstatic with this news and can't wait to see him back in a Hibs shirt. :agree:

Welcome back, Ivan. :aok:

BullbreedHFC
18-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Welcome back Ivan Sproule :flag: (a hatrick against the hearts this time mate) :thumbsup: GGTTH

sesoim
18-05-2011, 10:31 PM

Hopefully Hibs are the club that suit him best. I remember Michael O'Neill was great (for a while) at Hibs but flopped just about everywhere else. There are plenty of other examples of that. Some players just suit some certain teams.

SmokieJoe
18-05-2011, 11:44 PM
For what ever Ivan left for, it is good to see him back.

I hope he still has pace to burn, but he will deffo come back wiser and if he wants to help the wounger players and end his carreer at easter road then all the better.

Welcome back Ivan.

whiskyhibby
19-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Great to have him back !!

Craig_in_Prague
19-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Good to see we're around 80% 'yes'

The fact the signing didn't come as a surprise as such, coz there was always a fair chance this could happen and be good for both parties. But now we're on the next day of the news, I'm absolutely thrilled Ivan is back.

Folks go on about his hat-trick, which was fantastic of course, but other games like a wet cold night away to Killie, he came on and won us the game. Smashing one in against the Celtc after a min, Ibrox in the cup, etc, he will bring passion and some excitement back to the team, which can only be good for the fans.

If CC can sign well in other areas, we may get back to enjoying being a Hibee again.

Ivan back in a Hibs top should bring a little smile to all our faces IMO
:flag:

steakbake
19-05-2011, 08:45 AM
See what he brings to the pitch after some fairly stop-start times down south, but in all honesty, I think we'll see nothing less than 100% commitment to the cause from him. For that alone, I'm delighted to see him back.

IFONLY
19-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Contents removed

Baldy Foghorn
19-05-2011, 11:20 AM
CONTENTS REMOVED

Not sure why you have taken a facebook quote to make your point, are you some kind of stalker?

Speedway
19-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I am struggling to feel as disappointed about his return as I had intially hoped.

I was keen to point out he had no pace until I reviewed recent footage and then I was hoping he has past it, which at 30 I can't quite claim yet.

So I'm struggling to find something wrong and it's troubling me as it's clear the board....ah...that's it...the board!!

The Board have yet again shown..er..lack of ambition by bringing in a...um... known entity whose major attribute is the 'raw quality' the manager said he wanted this summer. ****bags.

:brickwall

AlbertK86
19-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Yep.

A few posts about him being a bit part player the last time he was here.

remember the quality we had then. We were very strong in midfield at that time .... unlike now.

A bit of width and pace is what we are desperately needing.

Would like to see Danny Swanson, a good leither and Hibby on the other wing with any 2 of Palsson, Miller and Thornhill in the centre