PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to ditch football and try something new?

Dan Sarf
18-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Did anyone else watch the recent Swansea V Forest contest on TV? Fantastic entertainment.

For those who didn’t see it, it’s called “The Championship Play-Offs” and is similar in many ways to our own game of football – grass pitch, eleven a side, keeper can handle the ball, etc. – but it also has some fascinating differences.

For example, players are permitted to run at the opposition with the ball at their feet. They can also attempt to beat an opposing player using tricks, feints, etc. Terrific stuff to watch!

Also, when they don’t have the ball, they are allowed to run into positions where they can receive a pass from a team-mate with the ball. They can even run after the other team to try to get the ball back when they lose possession!

(This running idea alone could revolutionise our game.)

Passing the ball to players wearing the same coloured shirts as their own was another concept that really caught the eye. And they’ve developed a way of trapping the ball dead when it’s passed to them - in place of our traditional “let it bounce off your shins then run after it” technique.

Obviously, ditching football and switching to this sport would require totally new thinking from our managers, youth coaches, etc. And it would be even harder on our players who would need to train and practice much more than they presently do (though I noticed that Stephen Dobbie seems to have managed the switch quite successfully).

I honestly believe it could bring the crowds back if we give it a try.

Too radical? Prefer to stay where we are? What do you say?

MyJo
18-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Did anyone else watch the recent Swansea V Forest contest on TV? Fantastic entertainment.

For those who didn’t see it, it’s called “The Championship Play-Offs” and is similar in many ways to our own game of football – grass pitch, eleven a side, keeper can handle the ball, etc. – but it also has some fascinating differences.

For example, players are permitted to run at the opposition with the ball at their feet. They can also attempt to beat an opposing player using tricks, feints, etc. Terrific stuff to watch!

Also, when they don’t have the ball, they are allowed to run into positions where they can receive a pass from a team-mate with the ball. They can even run after the other team to try to get the ball back when they lose possession!

Passing the ball to players wearing the same coloured shirts as their own was another concept that really caught the eye. And they’ve developed a way of trapping the ball dead when it’s passed to them - in place of our traditional “let it bounce off your shins then run after it” technique.

Obviously, ditching football and switching to this sport would require totally new thinking from our managers, youth coaches, etc. And it would be even harder on our players who would need to train and practice much more than they presently do (though I noticed that Stephen Dobbie seems to have managed the switch quite successfully).

As Jose Mourinho was told at Largs when he wanted his team to play 4-3-3 when he was getting his management licences. "shut up and play 4-4-2 like ye've been telt to"

sunshine1875
18-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Never catch on!

You could have also added that you are also allowed to shoot from outside the box. Apart from Riordan, no-one seems interested to have a pop from outside the box, let alone have the skill to do it. Row Z seems to be the usual destination point for our shots.

I was impressed with the Swansea first goal when the player virtually passed the ball into the net from outside the box, with his weaker foot (I think).

And also the Reading third goal, when the player dribble through the centre of defence - skill and pace. We have neither!!

dangermouse
18-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm sure something similar was briefly tried out at Easter Road between 2005 and 2007 but was binned due to it being unsuccessful. :rolleyes:

ian cruise
18-05-2011, 01:57 PM
As Jose Mourinho was told at Largs when he wanted his team to play 4-3-3 when he was getting his management licences. "shut up and play 4-4-2 like ye've been telt to"

he's done ok since then though hasn't he :wink:

MyJo
18-05-2011, 02:00 PM
he's done ok since then though hasn't he :wink:

He's no Walter Smith but he's done no bad :rolleyes:

Leishy1995
18-05-2011, 03:29 PM
i'd be happy to ditch football and try this, Reading's third goal is by far the pinacle of this new sport!:top marks

ancient hibee
18-05-2011, 03:53 PM

Couldn't be that good-Stephen Dobbie was never Hibs class.

Springbank
18-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm sure something similar was briefly tried out at Easter Road between 2005 and 2007 but was binned due to it being unsuccessful. :rolleyes:

I think you're right.

I remember when faced with opposition defences full of witless and skil-less cloggers, it was conclusively proved by Mogga and JC that there was literally no chance of Mowing through the SPL with concepts such as fast, free-flowing football, using game intelligence, passing from the back, trusting your team-mate to control the ball and use it intelligently. Crowds stayed away in alarming numbers, except on matchdays.

Bring back Bobby Williamson! With the same players as Mowbray (+/-) he got us into the bottom 6 and used Garry O'Connor purely a target man, not to mention Roland Edge as a footballer. THAT's the Largs way and didn't we all love it!

TornadoHibby
18-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Couldn't be that good-Stephen Dobbie was never Hibs class.

You're right there - he was always too good potentially! :agree:

Problem was, we didn't have anyone to get his weight down and fitness level significantly improved at the same time such as others darn sarf have achieved over the last couple of years! I mentioned these "issues" once to Bobby Williamson in hospitality and was told that "the laddie likes his food too much and doesn't have the best attitude to training"! :rolleyes:

Great goal he scored the other night and he wasn't happy at getting subb'd in the second half! :agree: :greengrin

pentlando
18-05-2011, 06:26 PM

4-4-2?? When did they get so ambitious?:greengrin